• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Day, Night, and Dusk - Lycanroc for Smash Bros. Ultimate

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
Delzethin Delzethin yeah man, I'd love to see him in the game so put me down. The rock type canine is one of my favorite Pokemon not just in gen 7 but of all time... and his moveset would be sick.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Heyyyy, 23 pages!

So we got some recent news. Apparently the Smash playlist from the Japanese sight got another video (under private, obviously).

So we may get another reveal soon. How is everyone feeling about this? And do you think this is finally the time they reveal the Sun and Moon newcomer (hopefully Lycanroc)?

Delzethin Delzethin yeah man, I'd love to see him in the game so put me down. The rock type canine is one of my favorite Pokemon not just in gen 7 but of all time... and his moveset would be sick.
It’s nice to see new supporters, especially around these times when it seems stacked against us.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Potentially. Though with how many stadium-themed Pokémon stages we've already had, I'd rather we got something a little more unique, you know?
It bothers me that we've only gotten 3 varieties of Pokemon stages thus far in Smash: major cities (Saffron City, Prism Tower), stadiums (Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2, Kalos League), and locations where you encounter legendaries (Spear Pillar, Unova League). I think that's one of the reasons Poke Floats is so beloved, it broke away from these trends.

Regarding a Gen 7 stage, I'm personally in favour of Aether Paradise (particularly the dock, but the conservation area could be cool if done well) or Iki town (which does get kinda close to the stadium concept, but I think its distinct enough to justify its inclusion. You could even have the final Kalos starters appear and do their signature Z Move).

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
It bothers me that we've only gotten 3 varieties of Pokemon stages thus far in Smash: major cities (Saffron City, Prism Tower), stadiums (Pokemon Stadium 1 and 2, Kalos League), and locations where you encounter legendaries (Spear Pillar, Unova League). I think that's one of the reasons Poke Floats is so beloved, it broke away from these trends.

Regarding a Gen 7 stage, I'm personally in favour of Aether Paradise (particularly the dock, but the conservation area could be cool if done well) or Iki town (which does get kinda close to the stadium concept, but I think its distinct enough to justify its inclusion. You could even have the final Kalos starters appear and do their signature Z Move).
...You do realize you're making the assumption that none of Decidueye, Incineroar, or Primarina is playable, right? (Granted, if Primarina is somehow the Pokémon rep, I'll be flat-out dumbfounded and amazed at a freaking seal joining the roster.)

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
If we got a stage, I just want cave of origin, evergrande city or sky pillar from gen 3.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Heyyyy, 23 pages!

So we got some recent news. Apparently the Smash playlist from the Japanese sight got another video (under private, obviously).

So we may get another reveal soon. How is everyone feeling about this? And do you think this is finally the time they reveal the Sun and Moon newcomer (hopefully Lycanroc)?
As odd as it may sound, I'm kinda hoping no Pokemon newcomer gets revealed next. Odd, I know, but I feel like the fanbase has been investing too much time into rumors lately. I'd really like to see someone unexpected get announced so we can go back to pure and blind speculation.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
As odd as it may sound, I'm kinda hoping no Pokemon newcomer gets revealed next. Odd, I know, but I feel like the fanbase has been investing too much time into rumors lately. I'd really like to see someone unexpected get announced so we can go back to pure and blind speculation.
I feel you, though I think that an rep like Lycanroc that would shake things up in a big way (though it wouldn't exactly throw off all the leaks). Incineroar or Ken as the next reveal won't really do anything but incite those who swear by leaks.

I'm personally pulling for Elma (of course after Lycanroc), since she'd totally shake everyone up, though Isaac would be a pleasant surprise.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Well, we do need the fresh restart on speculation.

A lot of has been killed lately because of that, and it only started up again because we may get a reveal soon. But I’m a little worried though. The closer we get to launch, the less likely we may even get a Pokémon newcomer, and some people may still not look at our angle.

I’m sort of in a nervous-wreck recently. Most other supporters may relate to this, but the reality of it not being Lycanroc is very well real now, and it’s a little disorienting the closer we get to release. Lycanroc has been the character I pushed the most for the first time, and to have that go away, along with some other characters people have been writing off to not be in the game I still support strongly (mostly Elma)... it’s going to sting. I’ll handle it, but it’ll sting. So hopefully, things turn for the better.

——————————————————
EDIT: Nevermind... Smashboards is dying on me right now.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Oh goddammit, Smashboards is randomly not loading images again. Anyone know what causes this and what can be done to make our front page not have a bunch of X marks all over it?

It is interesting, especially since apparently it's been a pretty consistent tell for when a new video is close to going up (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Looks like we may well be getting a Robin-style standalone trailer this month after all.

Let us hope it comes with a newcomer who can pull a Robin.

Aether Paradise would actually be my own personal pick. Have it set in or above the conservation area, with the occasional Ultra Beast entering through a portal in the background and unleashing an attack. Turning hazards off would prevent the UBs from showing up but keep what would potentially be a unique platform layout.

I feel you, though I think that an rep like Lycanroc that would shake things up in a big way (though it wouldn't exactly throw off all the leaks). Incineroar or Ken as the next reveal won't really do anything but incite those who swear by leaks.

I'm personally pulling for Elma (of course after Lycanroc), since she'd totally shake everyone up, though Isaac would be a pleasant surprise.
Yeah, things are starting to become make-or-break for us. If something could happen to prove these rumors aren't infallible, it'd be really nice right around now...

Also, how about we officially welcome WaddleMatt WaddleMatt and verysleepywolf verysleepywolf to our ranks! Finally managed to add them.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
So, since the “NEW” sign has been taken off and we also got another unlisted video in the Japanese Smash playlist, we may get a new reveal soon. We could get a direct, or a single trailer.

Something to keep an eye on.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
...You do realize you're making the assumption that none of Decidueye, Incineroar, or Primarina is playable, right? (Granted, if Primarina is somehow the Pokémon rep, I'll be flat-out dumbfounded and amazed at a freaking seal joining the roster.)
Obviously, this won't happen if any of those 3 are playable. However, I was assuming Lycanroc was the playable Pokemon simply because I like to plan my stage ideas around my wants rather than what would realistically happen.

If Incineroar's playable, I'm fairly confident the Battle Royal Dome will be our Gen 7 stage.

GlaceonGD

Smash Cadet
So, since the “NEW” sign has been taken off and we also got another unlisted video in the Japanese Smash playlist, we may get a new reveal soon. We could get a direct, or a single trailer.

Something to keep an eye on.
Yes it does seem that sometime during the rest of this week and next week we will be getting either a direct or standalone reveals, really hoping one of them is lycanroc or at least messes with verge's leaks so we can have a bit more breathing room. On an unrelated side note, this thread got me a lot more into lycanroc than I was before and I'm actually working on creating my own fanmade form for fun. The picture with the 6 AM on a weekday form thing and people talking about how more forms might have been planned inspired me, hoping the design ends out well haha. Anyways, let's not give up hope yet guys, we still have two months and five days before the game is out.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Even though i can't think of much to talk about, how about some small things:
Lycanroc's boxing ring title, taunts, victory poses/animations, kirby hat.

Maikou

Smash Ace
Well, I did some taunts and victory poses a little while back, and Delzethin covered idle animations in his character concept video for at least Dusk Lycanroc. I made the post back on page 18, near the bottom, but for convenience, I'll just quote it here:

On a brighter note, I've got some ideas for taunts and win poses, both for Dusk Lycanroc and the Midday/Midnight duo. Few things are as important to conveying a character's personality as their taunts and victory poses, as every single person who overlooked Zelda but now loves her will attest. First, Dusk Form:

Up taunt: A very short but triumphant howl. As Delzethin stated in the concept video, it's obligatory for a wolf to let out a dramatic howl at some point.
Side taunt: Takes a more defensive posture, growling and snarling as Lycanroc's eyes briefly flash red. Sort of a way to convey Dusk Lycanroc's personality, and how it'd prefer not to fight, though with the red flash indicating that it's willing to if need be.
Down taunt: Sits and yawns. I'm sure you can't possibly guess which famous video game wolf this might maybe reference.

Victory pose 1: A more dramatic, extended howl to the sky in an epic pose. After the howl ends, Lycanroc looks at the camera with its tail wagging.
Victory pose 2: Sits and yawns, then lays down.
Victory pose 3: Lycanroc scratches its neck with its eyes closed, then shakes off some pebbles and opens its eyes as the red glow fades.

Midday and Midnight Forms (this kind of assumes we get a Trainer in the background for switching like I suggested in my last post):

Midday Up taunt: A short but somewhat mournful howl. Something a bit truer to the most pacifistic of Lycanroc's forms, a dramatic howl that makes it seem upset that the fight is happening at all.
Midday Side taunt: Briefly takes a defensive posture with a low growl. Mostly a sort of warning, again conveying that Midday really doesn't want to fight.
Midday Down taunt: Sits, conjuring a rock slightly larger than Lycanroc's paw underneath a foreleg. Midday closes its eyes as it quickly smashes the rock with said forepaw, keeping its eyes closed until it gets back into its normal stance.

Midnight Up taunt: A quick, eager howl showing Midnight's battle thirst.
Midnight Side taunt: Raises an arm and does the "bring it" gesture with one claw while barking/growling in a manner as though laughing at the opponent. Partially inspired the animation for the actual move Taunt in the Pokemon games.
Midnight Down taunt: Lycanroc stomps the ground, launching a rock slightly bigger than its forepaws into the air in front of it and catches the rock, then shatters it by punching its other paw into the first, all with a menacing smirk.

Victory pose 1: An extended, victorious howl with the two Lycanroc facing away from each other. After the howl, Midday lies down, while Midnight simply smirks at the camera as their Trainer pets them both.
Victory pose 2: Midday tackle-hugs its Trainer and licks their face in affection.
Victory pose 3: Midnight quickly breaks three small stone pillars in one strike each, then give the "bring it" gesture to the camera with one forepaw.
I didn't really think about the Boxing Ring title or Kirby hat though. I imagine the Kirby hat would be similar to Pikachu, Lucario, and Charizard's hats in terms of appearance. That is, resembling the top of Lycanroc's head with a pair of ears, colored just like whichever Lycanroc Form Kirby copied.

Boxing Ring title.....Hmm.....well, there's a few options, like "The Wolf Pokemon" "Passive-Aggressive Stone Striker" "Canine Continent Crusher"......I know for certain that the Midday/Midnight Duo would certainly have "Solar and Lunar" somewhere in their title, be it a simple "Solar and Lunar Wolves", "Solar and Lunar Stone Smashers", etc. Or maybe they could be "Different as Day and Night/Different by Day and Night".

I just remembered, Delzethin Delzethin , back on page 19, you asked if it was alright to put the taunts and victory poses I made on the front page. I said it was okay, but you haven't put them up there. Did you forget? Misread my reply when I said you could? Just haven't gotten around to it? I'm just curious, I don't mean to be pushy or anything.

Mayoman

Smash Rookie
Didn't Sakurai say not to expect any character reveals anytime soon?

RandomAce

Smash Champion
He said he was going to slow down the pace of reveals and not just drop them randomly.

So it doesn’t necessarily mean less fighters. At this point, we’ll get less than most games anyways.

Probably means they’ll be grouped together or something.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Sakurai is probably the last person you should trust when it comes to Smash. It's impossible to know whether or not he's being coy or serious when he says something.

But I think he said something along the lines of "expect reveals to slow down". Seeing how we're almost two months away from release, this isn't really a huge suprise.

Boxing Ring title: "Rockin' your world from Dusk to Dawn"
Kirby hat: A full body suit that looks like Lycanroc's head. Kirby's face is seen through the open mouth.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I hadn't actually thought about Boxing Ring titles. Maybe something like "Strength of the Setting Sun" for Dusk? And a Midday+Midnight concept would definitely roll with "Different as Night and Day".

I just remembered, Delzethin Delzethin , back on page 19, you asked if it was alright to put the taunts and victory poses I made on the front page. I said it was okay, but you haven't put them up there. Did you forget? Misread my reply when I said you could? Just haven't gotten around to it? I'm just curious, I don't mean to be pushy or anything.
I'm aware, and I apologize that they aren't there yet. I've had a rough few days, with even more pain than usual, and it's made it more difficult to get things done. Rest assured, I haven't forgotten.

Same goes for AlphaSSB AlphaSSB and his alternate palettes.

He said to expect the rate of reveals to "slow down". Considering the fact that the column where he says that was originally supposed to be in the issue following the September Direct's originally planned air date, he probably meant how Isabelle + the August Smash Direct gave us what would've been 6 reveals in the span of one month had her reveal not been pushed back a week. Doesn't mean we're already almost done, just that things won't be as crazy the rest of the way.

Especially since signs are pointing toward a Robin-style standalone trailer potentially happening in the near future...

MasteRMerF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasteRMerF
3DS FC
5000-2607-1297
I can see us getting a Robin style reveal with possibly the date of the next smash direct after the trailer.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm surprised this thread is active, especially considering Vergeben. The Decidueye thread is completely dead.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
I'm glad to see everyone is still able to converse like this regardless if Lycanroc makes it or not. We should be able to talk about our ideas for a moveset and taunts and such and just have fun with it instead of wondering what the point of all of this is. It's our passion for characters like this that keep us going regardless of their relevance in Smash Ultimate, and given enough time our voices could be heard. The same could be said of the Geno and Isaac fanbase considering they've been through this on multiple occasions, but still find plenty to talk about. We'll stick together no matter what, and that's what keeps us going. It is sad to hear that about Decidueye though, and I wonder where most of the supporters have been.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm surprised this thread is active, especially considering Vergeben. The Decidueye thread is completely dead.
The possibility of being wrong doesn't mean we like Lycanroc any less. We support him till the end.

Though, I will admit that it's disheartening to see so many Decidueye supporters give up this early. Feels premature if you ask me.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I think the reason the Decidueye thread isn't doing too hot is mass exodus. I imagine a lot of people were bandwagoning with Decidueye because they believed he was the most likely, but jumped ship when Vergeben made Incineroar the most heavily predicted of the group. This caused a large amount of people who were only invested in Decidueye in the interest of being "right" to leave the discussion, sadly leaving only those really invested in Decidueye as a character left.

I suppose that makes the fact we've been under the radar a blessing in disguise. It basically guarantees most of the thread is invested in Lycanroc as more than just a prediction, and makes sure that the core of us are in it for the long haul.

MasteRMerF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasteRMerF
3DS FC
5000-2607-1297
In a perfect world...
Sakurai: "We're going to be slowing down the newcomer reveals.
Also Sakurai: Btw here's a newcomer Lycanroc!. It comes in 3 different forms, so its pretty much 3 newcomers.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I think the reason the Decidueye thread isn't doing too hot is mass exodus. I imagine a lot of people were bandwagoning with Decidueye because they believed he was the most likely, but jumped ship when Vergeben made Incineroar the most heavily predicted of the group. This caused a large amount of people who were only invested in Decidueye in the interest of being "right" to leave the discussion, sadly leaving only those really invested in Decidueye as a character left.

I suppose that makes the fact we've been under the radar a blessing in disguise. It basically guarantees most of the thread is invested in Lycanroc as more than just a prediction, and makes sure that the core of us are in it for the long haul.
Thread size is a poor indicator of level of support. A big thread just requires a few dunknuts that are ready to talk about everything new and are able to use all and any barely relevant news to inject in the done-to-death discussions.
That's how we rolled in the Daisy thread

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
In a perfect world...
Also Sakurai: Btw here's a newcomer Lycanroc!. It comes in 3 different forms, so its pretty much 3 newcomers.
In the topic of that, are we assuming we're getting just 1 pokemon newcomer?
I know it's wishfull thinking, but could do you think we could get 1 unique and 1 echo pokemon character in 1 trailer? Cause i do think 2 unique pokemon may be too much at once.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Have the rumors of an October 16th or 18th Smash Direct been shot down yet? I'm anxious for more news, even if we don't get a character.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I think the fact that we haven’t been on the radar is a bit of a good thing since the people here are those who truly support the character. It’s a good feeling, but it can backfire as well. I hope that’s not the case.
In a perfect world...
This... is teasing me too much. I can see it being Midday/Midnight and Dusk echo, and that would be perfect honestly to have at least every Lycanroc fan happy their favorite form is in. Please be true...

I really like Maikou Maikou ones, so here’s some with a twist of my own.
Midday: Canine Stone Striker of the Sun
Midnight: Canine Stone Striker of the Moon
Dusk: Earthbender of Light and Dark

Last edited:

MasteRMerF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasteRMerF
3DS FC
5000-2607-1297
In the topic of that, are we assuming we're getting just 1 pokemon newcomer?
I know it's wishfull thinking, but could do you think we could get 1 unique and 1 echo pokemon character in 1 trailer? Cause i do think 2 unique pokemon may be too much at once.
It's interesting. I've seen some people say they don't think we'll be getting a Pokemon newcomer this game, probably based on how many we already have/"not to expect too many new fighters". I, on the other hand, fully believe we're getting a new Pokemon. If it's Lycanroc, I could really see us getting Midnight and Midday with Dusk being an Echo (or Midday being an Echo of Dusk). With that though, Midday and Dusk have enough differences between them to warrant them both being unique. I do also agree that 2 unique Pokemon may be too much :ohwell:

Also, to keep up some Lycanroc love, I don't know how long these have been around but I just found them today and I'm dying THEY'RE SO CUTE

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Also, to keep up some Lycanroc love, I don't know how long these have been around but I just found them today and I'm dying THEY'RE SO CUTE

One for every form, that’s nice. Although, I never really liked Lycanroc “chibified”. Though it’s always nice to see people happy about this stuff.

Careful with the double post though, might want to merge them into instead.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Have the rumors of an October 16th or 18th Smash Direct been shot down yet? I'm anxious for more news, even if we don't get a character.
I just heard of said rumors a couple hours ago. Far as I know, nothing has debunked them yet.

It'd be a damn shame if they were ending things a month and a half before release, though. Especially since it could easily happen in a way that ruins our chances...

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm glad that there are people out there who haven't given in to Vergeben's claims.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
I just heard of said rumors a couple hours ago. Far as I know, nothing has debunked them yet.

It'd be a damn shame if they were ending things a month and a half before release, though. Especially since it could easily happen in a way that ruins our chances...
Yeah, only one more information dump with relative silence leading up until release would be a letdown, but I don't think they would end with just one more broadcast anyway. Based on Sakurai's desire to slow down reveals, it's likely he wants to pace things perfectly so that we're getting news probably until late November. You'd have to wonder what an October direct would entail though, if we're not getting many reveals out of it. Probably story mode and maybe, hopefully, please please please something about online modes.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Where did you from this?
A couple of YT videos I didn't watch suggested this in their titles. They float about in my recommended sometimes and I pay leaks very little mind, so I don't watch videos about them. Don't know how founded these rumors are, but unlike Verg I hope they're right to an extent.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
A couple of YT videos I didn't watch suggested this in their titles. They float about in my recommended sometimes and I pay leaks very little mind, so I don't watch videos about them. Don't know how founded these rumors are, but unlike Verg I hope they're right to an extent.
Oh, I think it’d be best to put them aside, unless they’re not from a random rumor, and have some credibility.

Either way, we know a reveal is coming soon. It’s nearing a year where Isabelle was supposed to be revealed when Sakurai made that column. Meaning that we’re nearing the ideal time for more information. I’m inching more for a direct. There’s things like the Spirit Mode and online that needs to be addressed and that most likely will need to be shown. I think that even if we get a direct, it won’t be the last new information and that at least 1 newcomer will be shown in November, and maybe some smaller bits of new information in order to get some hype going.

As for Lycanroc, I hope that, standalone or direct, we can get all three shown at once in one trailer. 1 unique (Midday/Midnight) and 1 echo (Dusk).

Last edited:

Mayoman

Smash Rookie
If Sakurai chose Incineroar, do you guys think it would be because he would mesh with Greninja?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If Sakurai chose Incineroar, do you guys think it would be because he would mesh with Greninja?
I was thinking he would avoid Incineroar because of that reason.

Last edited:
Top Bottom