• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Day, Night, and Dusk - Lycanroc for Smash Bros. Ultimate

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Not sure if this would help at all, but the Castlevania collection on Switch Verge said back in E3 was revealed, but it is not the correct platform:

I am also unsure if this is the same source that leaked Simon, but if the above is any indication, there is a real possibility that Verge could be wrong on some matters now, even with all three of his sources confirming Incineroar.
I don't want to exaggerate him "getting this wrong" since he still correctly predicted the meatiest info with this game, but hey, I'll take it.

Verge has gotten some details incorrect before, and this is a small example of that.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Was or was not the anime any :ultinkling: of effect on the roster? This is something I see wavered back and forth on so heavily it's painful. When people point out that Decidueye has 0 presence in the anime in the past, it was a poor point cause Sakurai likely picked someone before the anime was going or even possibly that far in planning. Now that the Decidueye phase is over and people are trying to do everything in their power to shut down Incineroar (more so based on people's hatred of the leaks and theories), the anime is now the biggest pointer in the world. When I supported Mimikyu before his demise to the Pokeball world, people shunned his anime appearances as Jessie's pokemon and popularity that both would not matter. But suddenly it supports Lycanroc? And this is all ignoring Lycanroc's very plain and one note concept art paired with the question of how it'd use items like the guns.

By no means do I think Lycanroc has no chance, nor do I think Inciniroar is the 100%. I however think Lycanroc (or Sceptille or Decidueye) supporters are looking more into attacking Inciniroar's footing in the race than anything else which results in very contradicting statements coming along. One of the biggest belongs to Deciueye fans STILL claiming he is the most popular Gen 7 Pokemon despite losing to Mimikyu, Lycanroc, and Inciniroar.

And overall the biggest break outs for Gen 7 was Alolan Vulpix/Ninetales, Mimikyu, Rowlet, and Guzma/Team Skull from my personal viewing of the internet reactions and memes/art work regarding these characters.

I feel like it would be better to avoid generalizing people who support a certain character to make a claim. The Lycanroc thread doesn’t usually bring up Incineroar and instead focuses on Lycanroc and what people think of it and ideas for it (obviously), and when Incineroar did get brought up recently, it was because one user displayed disinterest in speculation in general because Incineroar and a couple of other characters were the only ones that only get mentioned when it comes to Smash recently. This in turn, allowed a couple of other users to decide to display their thoughts on the matter as well, but we’re past that at this point. But let’s face it, Incineroar was going to get brought up in there at some point since that is Lycanroc’s biggest competition right now.

I don’t want to look mad, but the statement I underlined has a lot of flaws to it that I want to address, so here is a shortened version of what has been discussed before as counterpoints.
There is a difference between being the main pokemon of the protagonist rather than the role of a side Pokémon of a cheepstake comedic villain group.

The reason why the anime points in favor for Lycanroc, is because the Rockruff/Lycanroc line has seen numerous appearances that build over time on the show. Ash’s Lycanroc has had multiple different arcs over the last year developing the character between him and Ash, and it was used in many different battles that it became Ash’s signature Pokémon. This in turn, shows that Lycanroc were meant to be a pretty big Pokémon for this generation, and it worked since Lycanroc is currently one of the most popular Gen 7 Pokémon.

As for your second point, just because you think Lycanroc is bland, doesn’t mean Sakurai or anyone else does. I get it, Lycanroc’s concept art is a lot more tame, but it’s purpose is to just show how the Pokémon looks like. Sakurai would’ve been given more things for Lycanroc to show what’s it about in it’s entirety since their whole design is based on a core concept that would’ve already needed to be established. Meaning that Sakurai would’ve heard about it’s typing, how they act, lore, and how it attacks and fight. This is even more possible when you include the fact that from the start, Lycanroc was a heavily pushed Pokémon and the fact that Sakurai looks for prominence as well as moveset potential, which Lycanroc has a lot of potential the more deeper you look into them due to their typing and forms... there is a lot in favor of them of being consider and chosen by Sakurai.

Is it possible Lycanroc may not get in? Yes, I’m not denying that. But I’m pointing what Lycanroc also has going for them.

(I’m not even going to discuss this “item issue”, you can just put the items in their mouth or have them hold something on their back. Midnight doesn’t even have this problem.)

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Not sure if this would help at all, but the Castlevania collection on Switch Verge said back in E3 was revealed, but it is not the correct platform:

I am also unsure if this is the same source that leaked Simon, but if the above is any indication, there is a real possibility that Verge could be wrong on some matters now, even with all three of his sources confirming Incineroar.
Yeah, this throws a bit of a spanner in the works, and it's in our favor. Here's what he said regarding Castlevania rumors back in the late spring:

Castelvania is making a comeback with two new titles.

I believe each are multiplatform releases (one may be Switch exclusive but haven't been able to verify that). One is a new title and the other a collection of classic Castlevania games, with Symphony of the Night being the headline game.

I heard a few months back that Wii's Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth would be coming to Switch, so it's probably part of that collection of classic Castlevania games.

But I'm not entirely sure if there's connection between my hearing that back then and this info pretty recently about these Castlevania games.

But this info about the two Castlevania games come from someone mighty reputable (who also has heard the same Smash leaks that I have, in case you are curious) so I have no reason to not believe them first and foremost.

Meaning, put that information in front of Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth re-releasing on Switch. Though there is a possible overlap between the two things and part of the compilation.
He posted these things, saying a reputable source was backing him up. While he was right about a compilation of sorts existing, he and said source were incorrect about the nature of the compilation (it's just two games, though arguably the two best in the franchise) and the systems it was releasing on (it's exclusive to PS4, with no mention of the Switch anywhere). Furthermore, we've heard nothing yet regarding a rerelease of Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth (And his personal prediction of it being part of the compilation was also wrong!), and this rumored new entry is also MIA.

This is closer to his usual modus operandi: Getting the general gist of an upcoming release, but being incorrect about some of the details. We'll see if this carries over into Smash, but the fact that it's happened once again does give us cause to keep asking questions.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
UPDATE: It's been revealed that the Castlevania Collection is going to stay a PS4 exclusive, as Sony is working directly with them on it. This basically means Verge got everything wrong about it other than it existing and Symphony of the Night's inclusion.

Besides, did Konami really need an outside company's support for what is essentially 2 roms? I mean, you guys put both those games and a whole remake of Rondo of Blood on the PSP by yourselves a decade ago.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
So Verge isn’t even close to 100% credible and he isn’t even coming out to acknowledge this... interesting. Things are definitely looking up for our rocky wolf boi.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Yeah, this throws a bit of a spanner in the works, and it's in our favor. Here's what he said regarding Castlevania rumors back in the late spring:

He posted these things, saying a reputable source was backing him up. While he was right about a compilation of sorts existing, he and said source were incorrect about the nature of the compilation (it's just two games, though arguably the two best in the franchise) and the systems it was releasing on (it's exclusive to PS4, with no mention of the Switch anywhere). Furthermore, we've heard nothing yet regarding a rerelease of Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth (And his personal prediction of it being part of the compilation was also wrong!), and this rumored new entry is also MIA.

This is closer to his usual modus operandi: Getting the general gist of an upcoming release, but being incorrect about some of the details. We'll see if this carries over into Smash, but the fact that it's happened once again does give us cause to keep asking questions.
This may open up Verge getting something wrong after all.

In the sense that one of his reputable sources for Smash got something recently wrong, and the fact that said source also said Incineroar was coming... the possibility of them getting that wrong too is starting to open up as well.

I hope this is a sign for a future turn of events in our favor.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I knew Verge was just out for attention.
Not necessarily. I don’t think this means Verge was wrong all along. Verge so far has made a lot of bold claims no one would even come up to pass as real, and they were true.

However, I would compare him to Gematsu. Gematsu has been right on a lot of things during the first 1 year of speculation, and Chrom was seen as a lock when Gematsu mentioned him as a playable character. However, on June 14, 2014, POW! Robin and Lucina came in and changed the course of speculation.

The same thing can happen with Verge. Just like Gematsu, Vergeben gets his information from second hand sources and releases them in the form of text leaks. However, with Verge’s recent claim not only being incorrect, but coming from the same source that apparently had information about Smash, one of Vergeben’s claims on Smash may be incorrect as well... and maybe, as I said before. This can be the start of a turn of events where Lycanroc changes fate just like Robin did.(hopefully).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This can be the start of a turn of events where Lycanroc changes fate just like Robin did.(hopefully).
Or Decidueye does end up getting in as many before Verge would have argued for.

Just saying, the idea of Verge's leak being "Gematsued" is not necessarily in your favor either until the owl is disconfirmed like Mimikyu, so it isn't wise to put all your eggs in that basket.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Alternatively:

The anti-Verg crowd loses because it's not Decidueye/Lycanroc/Mimikyu, the pro-Verg crowd loses because it's not Incineroar.

GlaceonGD

Smash Cadet
Seeing that verge has now gotten something wrong, while it may be minor to smash related things, is a nice change. Although when I saw people talking about it earlier in the server I'm in, they took it as more proof that verge is right because sadly most people there believe everything he says and don't want to admit he can be wrong. It'll take time to get more supporters on our side, but hopefully people will start to become a bit more open minded now. I do agree that not everything is 100% in our favor yet but lycanroc's chances have certainly been increased.

RandomAce

Smash Champion

Just saying, the idea of Verge's leak being "Gematsued" is not necessarily in your favor either until the owl is disconfirmed like Mimikyu, so it isn't wise to put all your eggs in that basket.
I thought this was the Incineroar thread for a moment there :eek:. I’m surprised you’re here.

I understand that, but sadly, there isn’t really much we can do at this point. But based on what some people here have been able to find recently, Lycanroc has been a standout for the last couple of years, and there’s a good chance that they were, at the very least, shown to Sakurai, and even picked as newcomers based on what Lycanroc can potentially bring.

That’s why some people here have hope after all.

Seeing that verge has now gotten something wrong, while it may be minor to smash related things, is a nice change. Although when I saw people talking about it earlier in the server I'm in, they took it as more proof that verge is right because sadly most people there believe everything he says and don't want to admit he can be wrong. It'll take time to get more supporters on our side, but hopefully people will start to become a bit more open minded now. I do agree that not everything is 100% in our favor yet but lycanroc's chances have certainly been increased.
I’m wondering, what is the server your talking about? Here?

Last edited:

GlaceonGD

Smash Cadet

What exactly has he "now gotten wrong"?
Details about the Castlevania games, as I said nothing major to smash but it's still something he got wrong. I had no intent of getting anyone upset when I said this, but hey not everyone agrees on everything.

I’m wondering, what is the server your talking about? Here?
I'd prefer not to specify exactly, but it is a server owned by someone that makes smash videos I watch often. It's not a smash dedicated server but a lot of people are there for smash, and the majority of them are dead set on incineroar being a lock and vergeben being right about everything.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303

I think the idea that makes Lycanroc more likely than Decidueye if there's a Gematsu situation is because he may have been more prevalent around the time Sakurai would've reconsidered Incineroar. Decidueye lacks most of what Dusk Lycanroc likely had at the time. Only thing I could think of that would've pushed Decidueye is if Sakurai saw him in Pokken and realized something that he didn't think of beforehand.

Think the scenario goes:
>Set new Pokemon placeholder
>Get concept art
>Choose Incineroar, made lower priority due to focusing on veterans
>Sees Dusk Lycanroc get its own event in new games, focus in show, and push in marketing
>Swaps Incineroar for Dusk Lycanroc

I'm not too sure of a Gematsu situation occurring myself, but I don't think its necessarily impossible, either. Though I agree that putting all the eggs into one basket on this isn't the greatest of ideas.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think it would be too late to consider Lycanroc by that time, unless Sakurai learned about it from Game Freak/TPC months before Dusk Lycanroc's official reveal.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I think it would be too late to consider Lycanroc by that time, unless Sakurai learned about it from Game Freak/TPC months before Dusk Lycanroc's official reveal.
There's data in Pokemon Bank's code that suggests Dusk Lycanroc was at least an idea in November 2016, which is still a year after the Smash roster was decided, but this could mean Dusk Lycanroc was designed alongside the other Alolan Pokemon.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin

What exactly has he "now gotten wrong"?
The Castlevania announcement earlier. He said he'd heard there were two games in development (one a compilation of classic games, the other a brand new entry), both multiplat or potentially Switch exclusives. He also said he'd heard that one particular game (Castlevania: The Adventure Rebirth) was going to get rereleased on the Switch eshop.

As it turns out, the only thing correct about those claims was that a sort-of compilation was in the works. However, Castlevania Requiem contains only two games and is a PS4 exclusive, as Sony is working directly with Konami to have it made. Not a compilation of several Castlevania titles, not Switch exclusive or even multiplat, and C:TAR and the rumored new game are AWOL.

Basically, while Vergeben had a basic idea of one game that was in the works, his sources--including one he considered very reliable--were mistaken about several details therein. This slip up here is a reminder that he has a history of getting some details wrong even on rumors he has legit info on, meaning it could plausibly also happen with any of his yet-unconfirmed claims for Ultimate.

I think the idea that makes Lycanroc more likely than Decidueye if there's a Gematsu situation is because he may have been more prevalent around the time Sakurai would've reconsidered Incineroar. Decidueye lacks most of what Dusk Lycanroc likely had at the time. Only thing I could think of that would've pushed Decidueye is if Sakurai saw him in Pokken and realized something that he didn't think of beforehand.

Think the scenario goes:
>Set new Pokemon placeholder
>Get concept art
>Choose Incineroar, made lower priority due to focusing on veterans
>Sees Dusk Lycanroc get its own event in new games, focus in show, and push in marketing
>Swaps Incineroar for Dusk Lycanroc

I'm not too sure of a Gematsu situation occurring myself, but I don't think its necessarily impossible, either. Though I agree that putting all the eggs into one basket on this isn't the greatest of ideas.
Hold up a second. That wasn't what happened with the Fire Emblem characters during Smash 4 development. The common belief is still that Chrom was "replaced" by Robin, but based on what we know now, it seems more likely that both were seriously considered early on. Chrom was then shelved because they couldn't find a way to make his moveset unique without making drastic reaches or having him act out of character. Meanwhile, Robin got the all clear, and Sakurai has said that Robin's unique spellsword fighting style and weapon durability mechanic (Which was brilliant, since he's the only FE character in Smash to not wield a legendary weapon!) made him too interesting of a choice to pass up.

We could potentially end up with another Gematsu situation here, and if we want to make an argument, we need to understand the full story and have our facts straight.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Hold up a second. That wasn't what happened with the Fire Emblem characters during Smash 4 development. The common belief is still that Chrom was "replaced" by Robin, but based on what we know now, it seems more likely that both were seriously considered early on. Chrom was then shelved because they couldn't find a way to make his moveset unique without making drastic reaches or having him act out of character. Meanwhile, Robin got the all clear, and Sakurai has said that Robin's unique spellsword fighting style and weapon durability mechanic (Which was brilliant, since he's the only FE character in Smash to not wield a legendary weapon!) made him too interesting of a choice to pass up.

We could potentially end up with another Gematsu situation here, and if we want to make an argument, we need to understand the full story and have our facts straight.
I’m not sure if that is what happened, but I doubt that Sakurai was considering 2 Pokémon newcomers, though I see where you’re getting at.

For instance, let’s say Sakurai wanted to pick a newcomer from S/M, and was allowed to look at the list of the upcoming new Pokémon. Just like with Robin and Chrom, he shortened the list down to the ones that would be the biggest stars and make potential movesets from there. Decidueye, Incineroar, and Lycanroc would’ve been the ones that seem either the most pushed/eye catching and thus were the main three he focused. From there on all the possibilities stretch from there. Maybe Incineroar was probably the first that was planned/worked on and some people caught on to it, was why it was widespread and rumored, but Sakurai later on went to make a moveset for Lycanroc and ended up choosing them instead?

Honestly, I’m not sure. A theory like this seems a little straw-grasping, even though I can see it being possible. What I want to know more though, is what happens in between how leakers get their information from. We’ve seen how even one of Verge’s reliable sources can still get information wrong despite being reliable, so there is something that happens in the middle that causes this mis information to spread in the first place. I think something similar here can happen here, since this is Nintendo’s biggest game this year, so I wouldn’t put it past them to try extra hard to prevent them.

Last edited:

VexTheHex

Smash Ace

I feel like it would be better to avoid generalizing people who support a certain character to make a claim. The Lycanroc thread doesn’t usually bring up Incineroar and instead focuses on Lycanroc and what people think of it and ideas for it (obviously), and when Incineroar did get brought up recently, it was because one user displayed disinterest in speculation in general because Incineroar and a couple of other characters were the only ones that only get mentioned when it comes to Smash recently. This in turn, allowed a couple of other users to decide to display their thoughts on the matter as well, but we’re past that at this point. But let’s face it, Incineroar was going to get brought up in there at some point since that is Lycanroc’s biggest competition right now.

I don’t want to look mad, but the statement I underlined has a lot of flaws to it that I want to address, so here is a shortened version of what has been discussed before as counterpoints.
There is a difference between being the main pokemon of the protagonist rather than the role of a side Pokémon of a cheepstake comedic villain group.

The reason why the anime points in favor for Lycanroc, is because the Rockruff/Lycanroc line has seen numerous appearances that build over time on the show. Ash’s Lycanroc has had multiple different arcs over the last year developing the character between him and Ash, and it was used in many different battles that it became Ash’s signature Pokémon. This in turn, shows that Lycanroc were meant to be a pretty big Pokémon for this generation, and it worked since Lycanroc is currently one of the most popular Gen 7 Pokémon.

As for your second point, just because you think Lycanroc is bland, doesn’t mean Sakurai or anyone else does. I get it, Lycanroc’s concept art is a lot more tame, but it’s purpose is to just show how the Pokémon looks like. Sakurai would’ve been given more things for Lycanroc to show what’s it about in it’s entirety since their whole design is based on a core concept that would’ve already needed to be established. Meaning that Sakurai would’ve heard about it’s typing, how they act, lore, and how it attacks and fight. This is even more possible when you include the fact that from the start, Lycanroc was a heavily pushed Pokémon and the fact that Sakurai looks for prominence as well as moveset potential, which Lycanroc has a lot of potential the more deeper you look into them due to their typing and forms... there is a lot in favor of them of being consider and chosen by Sakurai.

Is it possible Lycanroc may not get in? Yes, I’m not denying that. But I’m pointing what Lycanroc also has going for them.

(I’m not even going to discuss this “item issue”, you can just put the items in their mouth or have them hold something on their back. Midnight doesn’t even have this problem.)
Incineroar gets brought up in just about every thread in a negative light cause he's one of the two Verge "leaked" with multiple theories and Sakurai literally pointing out there's not many more to be revealed left. This causes every support group to unload into him (and Ken, but lesser cause echo) cause it's not their pick. That's basically it, but there are some users more prone to throwing Incineroar into the mud in threads that have nothing to do with him as well like Kat & Ana.

Mimikyu also exploded the internet and won over a lot of people quickly. Pair that with all the talk about adding villains and Mimikyu had stable ground to stand, but he was quickly dismissed cause popularity and anime relevance was considered too late by people against him. These were used against him and used to back up Decidueye claim to the spot for filling the Grass spot. But now it's also used in favor of Lycanroc, so it's just another flip on the stance.

And my main point in regards to the concept artwork is it clearly showcases who and what Incineroar is and the personality of the Pokemon. Lycanroc's could of been another lack luster normal Pokemon based on how lacking the concept artwork was. (Daytime being the biggest offender) If the situation was that this art was the main thing Sakurai got to see of the Pokemon, then Lycanroc had the least interesting as even Primarina had more to her's than Lycanroc.

Lycanroc does have a solid chance. I don't disagree with that overall. But Lycanroc has it's own hurdles or negatives to face as well.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Mimikyu also exploded the internet and won over a lot of people quickly. Pair that with all the talk about adding villains and Mimikyu had stable ground to stand, but he was quickly dismissed cause popularity and anime relevance was considered too late by people against him. These were used against him and used to back up Decidueye claim to the spot for filling the Grass spot. But now it's also used in favor of Lycanroc, so it's just another flip on the stance.
To be fair, most of Mimikyu's supporters used his popularity as his greatest advantage, whereas Lycanroc supporters typically relied on the anime. I never saw much vice-versa.

Anyway, I never seriously considered popularity to have a huge role in deciding which Pokemon we'd get, and that applies to Lycanroc, Mimikyu, Decidueye, Incineroar, and virtually every other possible Gen VII Pokemon. There's just not a surefire way of controlling who will be the most popular. However, you CAN control the anime, and that's something Game Freak could've planned months before Su/Mo was released.

I can't speak for everyone, but because I make my predictions through the anime, I genuinely thought Mimikyu had a better shot than Decidueye. But compared to Ash's Lycanroc and Litten (potentially Incineroar)? I didn't think it was a contest. Ash is the protagonist of the anime, meaning that any Pokemon owned by him is almost guaranteed to get a lot of screen time. Mimikyu's inclusion could've been justified because of the anime, but if I were Sakurai, Lycanroc and Incineroar would've felt like the safest options.

Between those two, I chose Lycanroc. Partly because I like it more, and also because I think it has more potential than Incineroar.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Oddly quiet today. Let's do something about that.

Incineroar gets brought up in just about every thread in a negative light cause he's one of the two Verge "leaked" with multiple theories and Sakurai literally pointing out there's not many more to be revealed left. This causes every support group to unload into him (and Ken, but lesser cause echo) cause it's not their pick. That's basically it, but there are some users more prone to throwing Incineroar into the mud in threads that have nothing to do with him as well like Kat & Ana.

And my main point in regards to the concept artwork is it clearly showcases who and what Incineroar is and the personality of the Pokemon. Lycanroc's could of been another lack luster normal Pokemon based on how lacking the concept artwork was. (Daytime being the biggest offender) If the situation was that this art was the main thing Sakurai got to see of the Pokemon, then Lycanroc had the least interesting as even Primarina had more to her's than Lycanroc.

Lycanroc does have a solid chance. I don't disagree with that overall. But Lycanroc has it's own hurdles or negatives to face as well.
It's frustrating, though, the way we've been completely ignored in most circles simply for not being noticed first. It'd be a damn shame if that ended up being what kneecapped our chances from the beginning, if a character with this much potential turned out to have never even had a shot to begin with just because all that ended up mattering were very first impressions.

Plus...I still don't buy the idea that Sakurai and his team would want to rely on one piece of concept art to build an entire concept around, you know? That seems like it'd be such a baffling decision, to rely on that little of information when more must've been available at that point. And yet, hardly anyone is even considering that.

What worries me is that Sakurai could've dismissed Lycanroc without ever bothering to look deeper just the same as all of them have. What do you do against a sea of people who think they already know everything they need to know?

To be fair, most of Mimikyu's supporters used his popularity as his greatest advantage, whereas Lycanroc supporters typically relied on the anime. I never saw much vice-versa.

Anyway, I never seriously considered popularity to have a huge role in deciding which Pokemon we'd get, and that applies to Lycanroc, Mimikyu, Decidueye, Incineroar, and virtually every other possible Gen VII Pokemon. There's just not a surefire way of controlling who will be the most popular. However, you CAN control the anime, and that's something Game Freak could've planned months before Su/Mo was released.

I can't speak for everyone, but because I make my predictions through the anime, I genuinely thought Mimikyu had a better shot than Decidueye. But compared to Ash's Lycanroc and Litten (potentially Incineroar)? I didn't think it was a contest. Ash is the protagonist of the anime, meaning that any Pokemon owned by him is almost guaranteed to get a lot of screen time. Mimikyu's inclusion could've been justified because of the anime, but if I were Sakurai, Lycanroc and Incineroar would've felt like the safest options.

Between those two, I chose Lycanroc. Partly because I like it more, and also because I think it has more potential than Incineroar.
Yeah, agreed. We have uniqueness, we have moveset potential, and even the biggest role in the anime on top of that. And yet, if these rumors hold true, none of it would matter. An anomaly that just so happened to work against us. Troubling thought, huh?

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303

As I said, "Think the scenario goes".

So, if the scenario you described is the case, then it'd go:
>Sets new Pokemon placeholder
>Gets concept art
>Seriously considers all candidates, chooses Incineroar
>During development, feels Incineroar plays too similarly to other characters
>Selects alternative Pokemon due to them having more unique potential

If this were the case, than Golden was right in saying that Decidueye and Lycanroc would be on more even ground. The thing is, I don't think Incineroar would end up being too similar to other characters. If Incineroar was chosen, he'd be made unique. Just a matter of if his grappling potential is fully realized or not.

Plus, even if he did end up playing too much like other characters, I don't think that it would impact his chances as much as it did with Chrom. With the quantity-over-quality mindset behind development, the roster is littered with clones, and even one of the newcomers is seemingly a semi-clone. You think another character somewhat similar to another fighter would get Sakurai to reconsider?

Like I said before, I'm not too sure if this will happen, though it's still a possibility. Hate to present a more pessimistic outlook, but I feel that its something to consider.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
If this were the case, than Golden was right in saying that Decidueye and Lycanroc would be on more even ground. The thing is, I don't think Incineroar would end up being too similar to other characters. If Incineroar was chosen, he'd be made unique. Just a matter of if his grappling potential is fully realized or not.

Plus, even if he did end up playing too much like other characters, I don't think that it would impact his chances as much as it did with Chrom. With the quantity-over-quality mindset behind development, the roster is littered with clones, and even one of the newcomers is seemingly a semi-clone. You think another character somewhat similar to another fighter would get Sakurai to reconsider?

Like I said before, I'm not too sure if this will happen, though it's still a possibility. Hate to present a more pessimistic outlook, but I feel that its something to consider.
Careful, though. Characters aren't "made unique" after they're already chosen, at least not based on how Sakurai has explained it. The Smash devs don't try to force characters in if they don't have an idea of a concept that'd work for them. At least, not as far as we know.

Even the grappler thing is more questionable than it seems at first. Character archetypes in Smash (and other platform fighters) aren't the exact same as they are in traditional fighting games. Grapplers in something like Street Fighter or Guilty Gear rely on command grabs because standard throws in those games are normally very limited, usually only one or two per character. But Smash gives everyone four throws from the get go, all of which can serve various purposes.

Truth is, we already have a counterpart to those grapplers in Smash even though only one character has more than one command grab, because their regular throws accomplish what they need already. Luigi's down throw, DK's cargo throw, et al are scary options all on their own, and that shouldn't be overlooked just because they aren't mapped to a button. And yet, it has been. And that also discounts the "half-grapplers" we have whose grab games are important to them but not their defining feature, like Mario, Ness, Captain Falcon, even my Lycanroc concepts dip into the idea.

We even have a newcomer that already gets into the mentality of a classic grappler! Ridley's whole thing is making his opponents fear certain powerful options--including his command grab--and then he exploits that fear to create pressure! But apparently he doesn't count, because reasons.

Instead, it's as if the only thing that'd "count" would be a direct 1:1 translation of exactly how their movesets are handled in traditional fighters. Apparently only literal translations count and not localizations, so to speak? Even if it might not work very well and run the risk of the character's specials being rather one-note? Even though Incineroar isn't even known for using grabs all that often? It's as if people are trying to cram a character in just to fill a quota, which is itself another thing Sakurai has said he does not do.

So what might be going on here?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Lycanroc still has a chance no matter what I stand with it to the end.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm just now fully realizing how bad I need/want Lycanroc amiibos.
Even if Lycanroc got in Smash, there's no way we'd be able get one without camping at the computer, constantly refreshing our screen so we can be one of the lucky few who could snag one in the 30-60 seconds they were listed before selling out.

Careful, though. Characters aren't "made unique" after they're already chosen, at least not based on how Sakurai has explained it. The Smash devs don't try to force characters in if they don't have an idea of a concept that'd work for them. At least, not as far as we know.

Even the grappler thing is more questionable than it seems at first. Character archetypes in Smash (and other platform fighters) aren't the exact same as they are in traditional fighting games. Grapplers in something like Street Fighter or Guilty Gear rely on command grabs because standard throws in those games are normally very limited, usually only one or two per character. But Smash gives everyone four throws from the get go, all of which can serve various purposes.

Truth is, we already have a counterpart to those grapplers in Smash even though only one character has more than one command grab, because their regular throws accomplish what they need already. Luigi's down throw, DK's cargo throw, et al are scary options all on their own, and that shouldn't be overlooked just because they aren't mapped to a button. And yet, it has been. And that also discounts the "half-grapplers" we have whose grab games are important to them but not their defining feature, like Mario, Ness, Captain Falcon, even my Lycanroc concepts dip into the idea.

We even have a newcomer that already gets into the mentality of a classic grappler! Ridley's whole thing is making his opponents fear certain powerful options--including his command grab--and then he exploits that fear to create pressure! But apparently he doesn't count, because reasons.

Instead, it's as if the only thing that'd "count" would be a direct 1:1 translation of exactly how their movesets are handled in traditional fighters. Apparently only literal translations count and not localizations, so to speak? Even if it might not work very well and run the risk of the character's specials being rather one-note? Even though Incineroar isn't even known for using grabs all that often? It's as if people are trying to cram a character in just to fill a quota, which is itself another thing Sakurai has said he does not do.

There's not even a guarantee that Incineroar would be a grappler character. People are just using that concept to make it seem like Incineroar would be a justified inclusion, when in reality, Sakurai could easily design Incineroar as a unique but non-gimmicky character like K. Rool or Isabelle.

Granted, I guess there's no guarantee Lycanroc would have a unique gimmick either, but I don't see nearly as many people complaining about Lycanroc being a boring addition as I do with Incineroar, despite the latter being taken more seriously as a possible newcomer. That pretty much speaks for itself.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Even if Lycanroc got in Smash, there's no way we'd be able get one without camping at the computer, constantly refreshing our screen so we can be one of the lucky few who could snag one in the 30-60 seconds they were listed before selling out.
For what it's worth, they've been better about ensuring enough are manufactured nowadays. Hopefully that'd hold true for Ultimate...not that I've had anyone show up yet that I need an amiibo for.

Though I remember full well the madness for those earlier waves. I was ready when the Robin amiibo went live on Amazon.

It sold out in less than half a minute.

There's not even a guarantee that Incineroar would be a grappler character. People are just using that concept to make it seem like Incineroar would be a justified inclusion, when in reality, Sakurai could easily design Incineroar as a unique but non-gimmicky character like K. Rool or Isabelle.

Granted, I guess there's no guarantee Lycanroc would have a unique gimmick either, but I don't see nearly as many people complaining about Lycanroc being a boring addition as I do with Incineroar, despite the latter being taken more seriously as a possible newcomer. That pretty much speaks for itself.
It also helps that Lycanroc offers a couple interesting gimmicks just as a natural extension of the forms' unique traits. No real need to squint to find something interesting when two of the forms have a natural duality and the third has a built in berserk mode. Much less when they're designed around the ability to manipulate an element that no one else on the roster can.

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Another episode of Incineroar, and the Incineroar thread calls out that there’s 4 major appearances for him. Where’s our recognition for appearing so much more often? Man, 1 leaker says some dumb things and suddenly the hype for all the true fan favorites dies. Just take a look at Decidueye. Several people think Incineroar is the only candidate for new starter/Pokémon in general, which is sort of unfair. We might not even get a pokemon this time if the music theory proves to hold up. Honestly I’m happy with what we have and I’d rather not have a Pokémon at all than it be Incineroar. Don’t worry Incineroar fans, he isn’t even close to being the only pokemon I can say this about (there’s around 435 of those).

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Another episode of Incineroar, and the Incineroar thread calls out that there’s 4 major appearances for him. Where’s our recognition for appearing so much more often? Man, 1 leaker says some dumb things and suddenly the hype for all the true fan favorites dies. Just take a look at Decidueye. Several people think Incineroar is the only candidate for new starter/Pokémon in general, which is sort of unfair. We might not even get a pokemon this time if the music theory proves to hold up. Honestly I’m happy with what we have and I’d rather not have a Pokémon at all than it be Incineroar. Don’t worry Incineroar fans, he isn’t even close to being the only pokemon I can say this about (there’s around 435 of those).
There's a difference between a Pokemon who's relevant to the plot and a Pokemon who has a major role in a few filler episodes that focus on the trainer moreso than the Pokemon itself.

I'd have an easier time accepting Incineroar if Ash's Torracat evolves and does something notable during the league, but Masked Royal and his Incineroar depicting the Battle Royale from Su/Mo aren't going to cut it for me. If that's the full extent of Incineroar's role in the anime, then I'd actually feel like saying Mimikyu would've been a safer candidate for Sakurai. At least Mimikyu would appear 5x more often than Incineroar.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Can Incineroar get the new Sceptile treatment? Let me break it down: extremely popular, yet not given any representation in any way where other, much less popular mons are.

D

Deleted member

I want Incineroar in myself I'll admit I'm rooting for both it and Lycanroc. We shall see what gets in eventually.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303

You make a strong argument, Del.

Never took Ridley into account myself, but that's also because I haven't studied his moveset much. Should've clarified this earlier, but Incineroar doesn't need command-grabs to be unique, nor does he need them to 'feel' like a wrestler. Command-grabs are just a possible feature of Incineroar's that could help him stand out a bit more.

Which is why I'm more cynical towards Incineroar being chosen. I enjoy command-grabs, and I'd love for Incineroar to have some, but that doesn't mean I think he will. Without them, I feel Incineroar could end up just being a generic wrestler with some fire attacks. Whereas Decidueye and Lycanroc, I see much more promise with what they have to offer.

Continuing to play Devil's Advocate, the idea Incineroar using command-grabs mostly comes from its wrestler motif and its concept art. Now, although I agree that traditional fighting game archetypes don't translate into Smash 1:1, just the idea of wrestling-esque moves could play in Incineroar's favor. We already have Little Mac, whose a boxer, and Ryu, whose a martial artist. I don't think they were added because their fighting styles fit an archetype, rather, their fighting styles were a bonus feature of the character that made them easier to conceptualize in Smash.

It's possible Sakurai could've had an easier time picturing Incineroar over Decidueye and Lycanroc. But how likely do you think it is that Incineroar would end up too similar to other characters? To the point where either Decidueye or Lycanroc are given the green light?

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Another episode of Incineroar, and the Incineroar thread calls out that there’s 4 major appearances for him. Where’s our recognition for appearing so much more often? Man, 1 leaker says some dumb things and suddenly the hype for all the true fan favorites dies. Just take a look at Decidueye. Several people think Incineroar is the only candidate for new starter/Pokémon in general, which is sort of unfair.
There's a difference between a Pokemon who's relevant to the plot and a Pokemon who has a major role in a few filler episodes that focus on the trainer moreso than the Pokemon itself.

I'd have an easier time accepting Incineroar if Ash's Torracat evolves and does something notable during the league, but Masked Royal and his Incineroar depicting the Battle Royale from Su/Mo aren't going to cut it for me. If that's the full extent of Incineroar's role in the anime, then I'd actually feel like saying Mimikyu would've been a safer candidate for Sakurai. At least Mimikyu would appear 5x more often than Incineroar.
That might be the most frustrating part of all of this: Apparently these appearances only count for characters they already think matter. It's confirmation bias run rampant. When their guy shows up four times now, three in side episodes and one as a cameo, it's apparent "proof" it's going to "take its rightful place". But when we have three different Lycanrocs, one appearing six times, one as a key team member of the rival character (who keeps showing up whenever important plot stuff happens, no less), and one as the anchor for Ash's team for a year and counting with no signs of stopping, appearing in nearly every episode since evolving...apparently that doesn't count. It's as if we're being locked out simply for not being their One True Choice, as if much of the rest of the community is refusing to even look at any evidence we have.

I dunno about you guys...but it would sting to see them get rewarded for it. It'd only encourage this behavior, encourage this arrogant refusal to look beyond what they're already convinced must be true. Not to mention how it'd practically give them a free pass to talk down to us...and I've seen similar situations where such "winners" were allowed to humiliate whoever they wanted and were never held accountable.

Continuing to play Devil's Advocate, the idea Incineroar using command-grabs mostly comes from its wrestler motif and its concept art. Now, although I agree that traditional fighting game archetypes don't translate into Smash 1:1, just the idea of wrestling-esque moves could play in Incineroar's favor. We already have Little Mac, whose a boxer, and Ryu, whose a martial artist. I don't think they were added because their fighting styles fit an archetype, rather, their fighting styles were a bonus feature of the character that made them easier to conceptualize in Smash.
Even that's kinda iffy, though. At least Little Mac had an angle of fighting like a pro boxer and using various real world boxing techniques, something Smash hadn't done before. But here, we already have multiple characters using various wrestling moves. I mean, damn, K. Rool even got a dropkick and a back breaker! I just don't see how a character who merely expands on one idea that's already been touched on multiple times and otherwise feels redundant would be a more compelling choice than at least a couple others who would be so much more unique. It'd be a result we've never seen before outside of echo fighters or semi-clones--people have docked Corrin for being "another anime swordfighter", but the crux of Corrin's moveset is built around shapeshifting, something we'd never seen in Smash prior!

Problem is...if we end up wrong, we might be singled out and treated as if we were lunatics walking the streets foretelling the end times. One thing I've learned is to never underestimate how easily tempted people are to single someone out, kick them down, and keep stomping on them, whether to try and "fit in" or for their own personal satisfaction...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Don't let what people say get you down, I know and believe Lycanroc could get in. I will be happy if it's Incineroar that gets in. But I am happy to have supported and am happy to be supporting such a cool Pokemon.

I'm still with it and the pack always.

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
That might be the most frustrating part of all of this: Apparently these appearances only count for characters they already think matter. It's confirmation bias run rampant. When their guy shows up four times now, three in side episodes and one as a cameo, it's apparent "proof" it's going to "take its rightful place". But when we have three different Lycanrocs, one appearing six times, one as a key team member of the rival character (who keeps showing up whenever important plot stuff happens, no less), and one as the anchor for Ash's team for a year and counting with no signs of stopping, appearing in nearly every episode since evolving...apparently that doesn't count. It's as if we're being locked out simply for not being their One True Choice, as if much of the rest of the community is refusing to even look at any evidence we have.

I dunno about you guys...but it would sting to see them get rewarded for it. It'd only encourage this behavior, encourage this arrogant refusal to look beyond what they're already convinced must be true. Not to mention how it'd practically give them a free pass to talk down to us...and I've seen similar situations where such "winners" were allowed to humiliate whoever they wanted and were never held accountable.

Even that's kinda iffy, though. At least Little Mac had an angle of fighting like a pro boxer and using various real world boxing techniques, something Smash hadn't done before. But here, we already have multiple characters using various wrestling moves. I mean, damn, K. Rool even got a dropkick and a back breaker! I just don't see how a character who merely expands on one idea that's already been touched on multiple times and otherwise feels redundant would be a more compelling choice than at least a couple others who would be so much more unique. It'd be a result we've never seen before outside of echo fighters or semi-clones--people have docked Corrin for being "another anime swordfighter", but the crux of Corrin's moveset is built around shapeshifting, something we'd never seen in Smash prior!

Problem is...if we end up wrong, we might be singled out and treated as if we were lunatics walking the streets foretelling the end times. One thing I've learned is to never underestimate how easily tempted people are to single someone out, kick them down, and keep stomping on them, whether to try and "fit in" or for their own personal satisfaction...
Again, strong argument.

Question for you, though. You feel that characters like King K. Rool having wrestling-esque moves, as well as characters like Ridley having command-grab playstyle makes Incineroar seem slightly redundant potential-wise. Does this extend to your thoughts towards Decidueye, since we have multiple characters who shoot arrows already? I don't think the argument would apply all that well, but I've seen people make said argument. Curious as to your thoughts.

Lastly, I think you may be a bit paranoid with how you perceive another Pokemon's crowd acting if their Pokemon makes it in. I haven't really seen anyone shaming or attacking others for supporting a different character when theirs made it in. Decidueye, Incineroar, and Lycanroc are all pretty big candidates for being the Pokemon newcomer. Sure, there may be some assholes out there who will try to put others down, but I think they're definitely in the minority compared to others. If anyone comes here and begins insulting, report and ignore.

Hopefully me playing Devil's Advocate hasn't portrayed me in a bad light. Definitely not trying to get you, or anyone else here, down.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I'm just now fully realizing how bad I need/want Lycanroc amiibos.
I just realized that, those would be so awesome! But I don’t have enough money to shell those out.

Yeah this always one of the most annoying things when it comes speculation when the anime is involved. Yeah, they’re doing something with it, but you can’t deny the numerous and big roles Lycanroc as a whole have received throughout it’s run.

It’s a weird feeling when a leaker seems to have deconfirmed you, yet there is a lot of evidence supporting side the “deconfirmed” side that they feel likely regardless. That’s what I’m feeling right now with Lycanroc.

Aside from that, here’s some more awesome Lycanroc fan art I found for today that I wanted to share:
BF9D00B4-2CC0-49B5-AA18-4D76AA2A7CF8.jpeg

(Credit to “Ivan”: https://mobile.twitter.com/IvanJhang. This is art is really good. EDIT: Apparently he’s sort of a “furry” artist, so although his art isn’t “pushing” it, it’s just a heads up).

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Honestly, Vergeben, no matter how much info he gets right, does not have a 100% track record. Fighterz, one of his most well known leaks, has him claim raditz and zsrbon were dlc. Season 1 for that rapped, no sign of them. Castlevania for switch? Also a farce. Guy gets a lot right, he’s got a better track record than goddamn leakypandy, but he’s far from infallible.

And here’s the rub of that, he basically waited a whole month to go in on incineroar. Only after the community talked to death about this. What makes his incineroar stuff sound weird is how it adds up. He heard it was not some pokemon? He ends up hearing his guess? Compared to every other character, he’s been dancing around this part a lot.

Top Bottom