• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Day, Night, and Dusk - Lycanroc for Smash Bros. Ultimate

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
I can't wait until the rest of the cast is released; if we get Incineroar I'm really curious to hear the reasons from Sakurai why he chose him. If it's Lycanroc I think it would throw a lot of people off-balance who were totally convinced it was Incineroar, and if it's Decidueye it'll be interesting nonetheless for the previously stated reason. It's the same with the music theory going out of whack suddenly with a Pokemon track, although some might say it doesn't really hurt the theory just because it's a different Pokemon Generation, but honestly I never really staked much into that theory. Honestly I'd just be happy to get any new characters at this point, but personally you know where I stand - no disrespect to those who do support Incineroar though.

Anyone asking how Lycanroc could use items or weapons here's your answer:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I just wanted to pop in from the Incineroar thread to share some well wishes with you all.

You know, "leaks" aside, the two have quite a bit in common going for them. They're both rising stars that are enjoying focus from the TV show and share an appearance on the same team in the same movie. Both are promoted by Gamefreak quite a bit and are developer's favorites (Incineroar for Masuda and Lycanrock for Iwao, director of Sun/Moon). Both, for the most part, have been overlooked by the Smash fans historically, and ignoring leaks, share a good shot at being the sleeper hit of Gen 7.

As such, I just wanted to let you know I'm cheering for you guys. Incineroar may be my 'mon of choice but the Lycanrocks are a solid choice and the perfect "rival" (in the way Hau is) for the cat.

Good luck y'all, and don't let the naysayers keep you down.

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
Does this extend to your thoughts towards Decidueye, since we have multiple characters who shoot arrows already?
I actually thought once that Decidueye would end up a bit like pit if he got in. I had the same thought with Incineroar and Bowser though.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I can't wait until the rest of the cast is released; if we get Incineroar I'm really curious to hear the reasons from Sakurai why he chose him. If it's Lycanroc I think it would throw a lot of people off-balance who were totally convinced it was Incineroar, and if it's Decidueye it'll be interesting nonetheless for the previously stated reason. It's the same with the music theory going out of whack suddenly with a Pokemon track, although some might say it doesn't really hurt the theory just because it's a different Pokemon Generation, but honestly I never really staked much into that theory. Honestly I'd just be happy to get any new characters at this point, but personally you know where I stand - no disrespect to those who do support Incineroar though.

Anyone asking how Lycanroc could use items or weapons here's your answer:

THE FIRST thing I’m going to do when Lycanroc gets revealed is to find a picture of either Midday or Dusk holding an item and post it here.

Not to be a **** or anything, but to blow this “counterpoint” out of the water, for good.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Hey guys, can we talk about the atmosphere in this thread right now?

I get that a 'leak" is at hands and they're always a very sucky part of speculation. They bring along bandwagoning and it's in general a weird limbo where a certain character is not officially revealed yet, but is very likely to be in anyway.
I get that Delzethin has, or feels like, personal stakes at hand in this situation and I understand: His piece de resistance from his speculation fame is and will always be his Lycanroc support.
I get that you have been underdogs in the eyes of the community, between Decidueye taking the spotlight pre-E3 and Incineroar getting the leak nudge.

You have been a pretty tight pack because of this and the Lycanroc thread has always been that little part of the boards that seemed to be resistant against the echo chamber effect.

However, lately, especially last page I've noticed that this thread too has turned into an Echo Chamber itself. The pack got a big case of tunnel vision. The intruder cat awoke a very primal urge to be the top dog in speculation and it's caused you to go Lycanroc's classic beserk on The Big Enemy, mostly seeming to be anyone that can see merit in Incineroar being a cool pick.

The pack that once seemed to be so calculated, knowing and analysing every bone that came on its turf became hostile, territorial and outright petty with this leak situation at hand.
"But he's a Fire Pokémon" "Others grab already' "BuT THe ANimE" are all fine arguments I suppose. A little low blows, a little unfounded and a little biased, but hey, all's in the Smash community and I can't blame you for not being all super researchy about non-Lycanroc candidates. But resorting to "He MUST be a semiclone that got in due to time constraints" is outright the same tunnel vision and the same "I don't like this outcome, so this must be the case" that Delz likes to mention so, so, so much (Like on a "Carthage must be destroyed level" of mantra)

Again, leak talk sucks. But we can try to make it better and talk about Lycanroc's potential without the petty "so I don't get why Sakurai would pick Incineroar" addendum. (Btw I think Carthage should be like, totally destroyed) and the seemingly contractually obligated rant everytime somebody mentions the word anime.

D

Deleted member

Lycanroc has a chance, still think and believe that.

No leak has convinced me otherwise up till now.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Well for me, I am just considering all of these non-Incineroar possibilities and not really taking them as likely. I'm still already embraced to accept Incineroar because of multiple Vergeben sources anyway.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Got stuff to catch up on. I've been waylaid by what I think might be the flu for the last couple days. If I seem less consistent than usual, there's why.

Again, strong argument.

Question for you, though. You feel that characters like King K. Rool having wrestling-esque moves, as well as characters like Ridley having command-grab playstyle makes Incineroar seem slightly redundant potential-wise. Does this extend to your thoughts towards Decidueye, since we have multiple characters who shoot arrows already? I don't think the argument would apply all that well, but I've seen people make said argument. Curious as to your thoughts.

Lastly, I think you may be a bit paranoid with how you perceive another Pokemon's crowd acting if their Pokemon makes it in. I haven't really seen anyone shaming or attacking others for supporting a different character when theirs made it in. Decidueye, Incineroar, and Lycanroc are all pretty big candidates for being the Pokemon newcomer. Sure, there may be some ******** out there who will try to put others down, but I think they're definitely in the minority compared to others. If anyone comes here and begins insulting, report and ignore.

Hopefully me playing Devil's Advocate hasn't portrayed me in a bad light. Definitely not trying to get you, or anyone else here, down.
Decidueye wouldn't be quite the same, I don't think. While we do have multiple characters with archery techniques, it's only a single special for all of them, and most are variants on just two moves (the Hero's Bow and the Palutena Bow). There's a level of elbow room there that isn't as present with the multiple wrestling techniques we have, especially since Decidueye's other abilities--like plant manipulation, which has only been done once--can also help.

Though that still pales in comparison to Lycanroc offering so many things that no one on the roster has done yet.

And I don't mind you playing devil's advocate. We need to be able to look at potential counterpoints in order to strengthen our own arguments.

I just wanted to pop in from the Incineroar thread to share some well wishes with you all.

You know, "leaks" aside, the two have quite a bit in common going for them. They're both rising stars that are enjoying focus from the TV show and share an appearance on the same team in the same movie. Both are promoted by Gamefreak quite a bit and are developer's favorites (Incineroar for Masuda and Lycanrock for Iwao, director of Sun/Moon). Both, for the most part, have been overlooked by the Smash fans historically, and ignoring leaks, share a good shot at being the sleeper hit of Gen 7.

As such, I just wanted to let you know I'm cheering for you guys. Incineroar may be my 'mon of choice but the Lycanrocks are a solid choice and the perfect "rival" (in the way Hau is) for the cat.

Good luck y'all, and don't let the naysayers keep you down.
Good luck to you as well. I may come off overly defensive, but I can't fault anyone who supports a character they genuinely like, even if it's one I personally don't prefer. It's the bandwagoners only there to be seen there and the people operating on willful double standards that end up getting my hackles raised.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

I get that a 'leak" is at hands and they're always a very sucky part of speculation. They bring along bandwagoning and it's in general a weird limbo where a certain character is not officially revealed yet, but is very likely to be in anyway.
I get that Delzethin has, or feels like, personal stakes at hand in this situation and I understand: His piece de resistance from his speculation fame is and will always be his Lycanroc support.
I get that you have been underdogs in the eyes of the community, between Decidueye taking the spotlight pre-E3 and Incineroar getting the leak nudge.

You have been a pretty tight pack because of this and the Lycanroc thread has always been that little part of the boards that seemed to be resistant against the echo chamber effect.

However, lately, especially last page I've noticed that this thread too has turned into an Echo Chamber itself. The pack got a big case of tunnel vision. The intruder cat awoke a very primal urge to be the top dog in speculation and it's caused you to go Lycanroc's classic beserk on The Big Enemy, mostly seeming to be anyone that can see merit in Incineroar being a cool pick.

The pack that once seemed to be so calculated, knowing and analysing every bone that came on its turf became hostile, territorial and outright petty with this leak situation at hand.
"But he's a Fire Pokémon" "Others grab already' "BuT THe ANimE" are all fine arguments I suppose. A little low blows, a little unfounded and a little biased, but hey, all's in the Smash community and I can't blame you for not being all super researchy about non-Lycanroc candidates. But resorting to "He MUST be a semiclone that got in due to time constraints" is outright the same tunnel vision and the same "I don't like this outcome, so this must be the case" that Delz likes to mention so, so, so much (Like on a "Carthage must be destroyed level" of mantra)

Again, leak talk sucks. But we can try to make it better and talk about Lycanroc's potential without the petty "so I don't get why Sakurai would pick Incineroar" addendum. (Btw I think Carthage should be like, totally destroyed) and the seemingly contractually obligated rant everytime somebody mentions the word anime.
I think the comments revolving around Incineroar in this thread have less to do with us hating on his type/moveset and more of a feeling of genuine confusion as to why Incineroar would get chosen before not just Lycanroc, but Mimikyu, Decidueye, and other notable Gen VII reps.

Again, I have to reiterate that I do believe Incineroar would make sense as a newcomer. I think Sakurai could do something special with his moveset if he put forth the effort, and I have a feeling Incineroar will eventually be one of Ash's Pokemon. That by itself justifies his inclusion IMO. HOWEVER, my feelings toward popular Gen VII Pokemon depend almost entirely on how much promotion they've gotten. Without Ash's Torracat evolving, I don't think there's enough promotion targeted specifically at Incineroar to make me understand why Sakurai would choose it over other Pokemon. Yes, I do think Incineroar could be unique (and possibly the easiest to create a moveset for), but I also stand by my opinion that all of the other three popular choices (Decidueye, Mimikyu, Lycanroc) had a distinct design that would almost guarantee us something that would stand out on the roster.

To sum it all up, I don't think it's fair to say we're Echoing the other threads. Obviously not all of us would've liked Incineroar even if he did make sense upon first inspection, but because of the extensive amount research we've done and the trends of previous Pokemon newcomers, Incineroar comes across as a rather odd choice. That's something that may or may not change depending on where the anime goes.

To lump this thread with the typical "Incineroar is a waste of a slot! Can't believe Sakurai chose the worst possible Pokemon!" is a huge exaggeration.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Cool nice too see support between Incineroar and Lycanroc fans.

valkiriforce

Smash Ace
Not sure if any of my talk has come off as hostile or anything, but If I need to make my perspective any more clear - I only hope to see Lycanroc in Smash; I won't be surprised if we get Incineroar. I'll be happy for those who wanted him, and speaking for myself I get excited about any newcomers to Smash in general whether I care for them or not. So it's really not going to affect me because Smash is just a game franchise I enjoy, and any characters we get for Smash tend to get pretty exciting with each entry into the series. I only hope nobody trash talks anybody else for getting or not getting their character in Smash however this plays out.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
When it comes to Incineroar, i'm honestly feeling the same thing i did back in the fighter ballot days: overexposure to popular characters. Especially during December, i was tired of hearing about King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Isaac, Shovel Knight, Shantae, Wolf, etc. to the point i would've hated it if any of them was announced as the ballot winner.
But seeing Corrin and Bayonetta, 2 fresh faces to me that weren't ever talked about that much, made me very excited and ultimately wasn't dissapointed with the final dlc. I already knew Sceptile wasn't getting it's chance at that point, so there wasn't any dissapointments in the presentation.

I'm getting the same feeling with Incineroar: i'm very tired of hearing about everyone i go to watch speculation videos talking about Incineroar as if it's the only choice from gen 7 just because of vergeben's claims. I wouldn't be angry if it was Incineroar, i just personally feel it's a plain choice from the excelent roster of gen 7 pokemon, and i'd be partially underwhelmed because everyone i watch won't shut up about it.
I wish for it to be unexpected, basically another Robin situation because it's fun to catch people off guard + there's some other pokemon that could bring so much more than Incineroar.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I already knew Sceptile wasn't getting it's chance at that point, so there wasn't any dissapointments in the presentation.
I am a bit concerned about Sceptile: If it does get in, what will the reception be, now that the "we need a grass starter" crowd moved on to Decidueye and then died with Ivysaur's return. How popular is it in Pokken, where it isn't really a quota character?

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I am a bit concerned about Sceptile: If it does get in, what will the reception be, now that the "we need a grass starter" crowd moved on to Decidueye and then died with Ivysaur's return. How popular is it in Pokken, where it isn't really a quota character?
Personally, I'd be psyched if Sceptile made it in. My first and favorite Pokemon, as well as one of my most wanted characters in Smash.

At least he made it in Pokken, though, where he's fairly popular. There, Sceptile's a high tier character who won the Pokken Tournament DX Grand Finals this past August.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin

You've got a point, honestly. I think we're starting to feel like our backs are against the wall, and combined with the building resentment that even fewer people are even bothering to acknowledge us, it's bringing out a lot of bitterness.

We need to find a way to keep that in check. There's nothing wrong with being frustrated, but if we let it go too far, then our intent of being a bunker of sorts from all the toxicity going around would fail. It's like that one saying goes, he who fights monsters must be careful not to become one.

Maybe it'd help if we had a way to not feel as vulnerable? Some kind of contingency plan, for if we didn't make the base roster but were still an option for DLC? Something that'd let us hit the ground running and not be scoffed at so easily. And while there's about a 90% chance all the Pokémon talk at that point will be based on people assuming they'd stick a Gen 8 newcomer in ahead of time "to promote the games", we'd actually have a window of opportunity all the way up until around when Gen 8's debut games hit shelves in November or so.

Probably mixed, but not too negative. Sceptile is still among the most popular Grass types in the entire series, which was one of the reasons it ended up in Pokkén to begin with. Though Sceptile's popularity within Pokkén has more to do with having been either high or top tier from launch all the way up until now...

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
It’s been awfully quiet right now...
When it comes to Incineroar, i'm honestly feeling the same thing i did back in the fighter ballot days: overexposure to popular characters. Especially during December, i was tired of hearing about King K. Rool, Dixie Kong, Isaac, Shovel Knight, Shantae, Wolf, etc. to the point i would've hated it if any of them was announced as the ballot winner.
But seeing Corrin and Bayonetta, 2 fresh faces to me that weren't ever talked about that much, made me very excited and ultimately wasn't dissapointed with the final dlc. I already knew Sceptile wasn't getting it's chance at that point, so there wasn't any dissapointments in the presentation.

I'm getting the same feeling with Incineroar: i'm very tired of hearing about everyone i go to watch speculation videos talking about Incineroar as if it's the only choice from gen 7 just because of vergeben's claims. I wouldn't be angry if it was Incineroar, i just personally feel it's a plain choice from the excelent roster of gen 7 pokemon, and i'd be partially underwhelmed because everyone i watch won't shut up about it.
I wish for it to be unexpected, basically another Robin situation because it's fun to catch people off guard + there's some other pokemon that could bring so much more than Incineroar.
There are tons of characters I feel that way about honestly.

Pre E3 most people were more open to different characters and strayed away from locks, most of the time, characters like Elma were now seen as likely based on the evidence provided, and we were at least acknowledged and stuff, and I felt more invested in trying to show things to people to open them to different possibilities.

But after E3? It’s become... tribal. I remember people trying to dumb down Elma so hard and kill her off despite the evidence going for her because of beliefs that the ballot was the end to be all (and look how those thoughts changed now that not a single “leaked” character is from the ballot), it was a miracle she has the amount of support she still has, that’s commitment right there. Then the box theory came in and people overreacted, thinking it’s just two new characters because of an unfinalized art piece. People thought we would get something at Minecon out of all places. And then Verge came in and... well you know what happened.

I feel like I bittered about this too much than I really should, but I wish something threw people off. I don’t even want it to be Lycanroc at this point, give us Elma, even Isaac will throw people off seeing how even he has been off the radar too.

But I agree with Delz/WildChillFever. We’re slowly starting to diss more about Incineroar/other leaked things here rather than focusing on Lycanroc, and it starting to show a bit. It may not seem like it, but at this rate it’s going to be more apparent. So let’s move on.

Also, wow... this place is at 22 pages. It may not seem like much for some other threads, but we’re around the same level as the Rex and Pyra, Spring Man, and some other notable ones. It shows how long we’ve come. The first time I was here, this place only had 3 and no discussed anything here for so long.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
It’s been awfully quiet right now...

There are tons of characters I feel that way about honestly.

Pre E3 most people were more open to different characters and strayed away from locks, most of the time, characters like Elma were now seen as likely based on the evidence provided, and we were at least acknowledged and stuff, and I felt more invested in trying to show things to people to open them to different possibilities.

But after E3? It’s become... tribal. I remember people trying to dumb down Elma so hard and kill her off despite the evidence going for her because of beliefs that the ballot was the end to be all (and look how those thoughts changed now that not a single “leaked” character is from the ballot), it was a miracle she has the amount of support she still has, that’s commitment right there. Then the box theory came in and people overreacted, thinking it’s just two new characters because of an unfinalized art piece. People thought we would get something at Minecon out of all places. And then Verge came in and... well you know what happened.

I feel like I bittered about this too much than I really should, but I wish something threw people off. I don’t even want it to be Lycanroc at this point, give us Elma, even Isaac will throw people off seeing how even he has been off the radar too.

But I agree with Delz/WildChillFever. We’re slowly starting to diss more about Incineroar/other leaked things here rather than focusing on Lycanroc, and it starting to show a bit. It may not seem like it, but at this rate it’s going to be more apparent. So let’s move on.

Also, wow... this place is at 22 pages. It may not seem like much for some other threads, but we’re around the same level as the Rex and Pyra, Spring Man, and some other notable ones. It shows how long we’ve come. The first time I was here, this place only had 3 and no discussed anything here for so long.
The common narrative is that we're nearing the end for base roster speculation, and the more things near the end, the closer we are to knowing the full roster. The community has always feeled that pressure, but with this quick cycle the will to speculate is still high. Can't wait for DLC. New game, New cards to play, new bluffs to perform,

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
So I’ve been watching for a while and have seen this conversation about not wanting overly popular characters. While I agree that it would be boring to get Incineroar and other overly bandwagon popularity characters, I can’t argue that they are better than bottom of the barrel picks that would come if things didn’t happen because of popularity. Seriously, if the pokemon we got wasn’t based on popularity, Gothitelle might become real, and I know for a fact that no one ever said “hey, that thing would be cool in smash!”

RandomAce

Smash Champion
The common narrative is that we're nearing the end for base roster speculation, and the more things near the end, the closer we are to knowing the full roster. The community has always feeled that pressure, but with this quick cycle the will to speculate is still high. Can't wait for DLC. New game, New cards to play, new bluffs to perform,
Yeah that's true.

These times are usually the most stressful during speculation. We're close to release, and we still don't know when we'll get new information. Although, this thread died a bit.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
So I’ve been watching for a while and have seen this conversation about not wanting overly popular characters. While I agree that it would be boring to get Incineroar and other overly bandwagon popularity characters, I can’t argue that they are better than bottom of the barrel picks that would come if things didn’t happen because of popularity. Seriously, if the pokemon we got wasn’t based on popularity, Gothitelle might become real, and I know for a fact that no one ever said “hey, that thing would be cool in smash!”
In a way, it seems like Gothitelle has attracted her own bandwagon that thinks Sora/Namco HAS to make Gardevoir and have Gothitelle echo her to have Gen V representation, despite the fact that Gardevoir is one of THE faces of her gen and Gothitelle isn't.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
In a way, it seems like Gothitelle has attracted her own bandwagon that thinks Sora/Namco HAS to make Gardevoir and have Gothitelle echo her to have Gen V representation, despite the fact that Gardevoir is one of THE faces of her gen and Gothitelle isn't.
Gothitelle's support is due to a somewhat credible rumor that managed to get Richter Belmont (a character no one expected) correct.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Richter at least has these on his side:
  • DIE MONSTER
  • Simon using some of his moves
  • Being more popular in Japan than Simon
That's way more on his plate than Gothitelle.

Last edited:

GlaceonGD

Smash Cadet
Ow oof ouch sorry for not making any posts recently I just really haven't had much to say. I've been talking with my friends a lot lately and am kind of surprised to know they also support Lycanroc so at least I'm not alone there, always nice to have a discussion topic with friends. Now as for Lycanroc itself I've been looking at some things related to it and man I really want to see the Lycanroc z-move as a final smash, that thing would be amazing (I have never played US/UM just regular Sun so I had never really seen it). So yeah nothing much new from me recently, just making it known that I check this thread daily but don't always have something to post. I'm really bad at starting conversations.
I'm just now fully realizing how bad I need/want Lycanroc amiibos.
Yessssss that would be amazing. I'd buy one without second thought haha.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
4528AFA1-C1FB-47BB-9D2F-3B501994AB1F.png

I should’ve used this a while ago when it was more prominent, lol.

Anyways, seems as if we have become a little more dreary. Did we run out of things to talk about? In the meantime, here is another art piece by the more well known Final Smash Comic:
48FB91A8-B1DC-4659-B40D-970614A678E9.jpeg

RIP to anyone that had Ultra Moon, you needed to be at 5-6 in the morning to evolve Dusk. I did have Ultra Moon, but the day-night cycle was the same as Ultra Sun so I was lucky to be able to evolve mines at 5-6 in the afternoon.

Looking at it, I kinda wished we had a Dawn form.

Last edited:

GlaceonGD

Smash Cadet
View attachment 167365

Anyways, seems as if we have become a little more dreary. Did we run out of things to talk about? In the meantime, here is another art piece by the more well known Final Smash Comic:
View attachment 167366

RIP to anyone that had Ultra Moon, you needed to be at 5-6 in the morning to evolve Dusk. I did have Ultra Moon, but the day-night cycle was the same as Ultra Sun so I was lucky to be able to evolve mines at 5-6 in the afternoon.

I actually found that picture the other day and I love it it's amazing, we should get the 6 AM on a weekday form to be playable in smash haha. Ok but in all seriousness, we have kinda discussed pretty much everything needed at this point. Until new information comes out all we can really do is wait and talk among ourselves.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Hey I want to use the Lycanroc icon in my signature but it is too big. Any help?
Does anyone have a smaller version on hand? Let's get this man/woman/Waddle Dee flaired up.

Also, does this mean we can count on you as a supporter?

Gothitelle's support is due to a somewhat credible rumor that managed to get Richter Belmont (a character no one expected) correct.
For what it's worth, that particular rumor claimed Richter was in instead of Simon, rather than alongside him. This got overlooked for those two weeks or so where it was the popular rumor on the block.

Though the first sign that it was fanmade was sticking Gardevoir and then Gothitelle in "to represent Gen 3/5". Obsessing over representation is a fan thing, not a Sakurai thing. We're the ones who treat the roster as some kind of measuring contest of who matters and who doesn't, which is why people get so up in arms over "undeserving" characters, or why some others try to play Thanos and "balance the reps".

View attachment 167366

Considering there're placeholders for up to five Lycanroc forms in the Global Link's data, I'm still surprised there never were any others. Were they just being proactive? Did something go amiss mid-development? Hopefully something like that behind the scenes hasn't crippled our chances without us ever knowing.

Or who knows, perhaps they still have plans, and we're about to be relevant even in Gen 8. Stranger things have happened, right?

Rock/Light "Starlight Form", anyone?

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
Hey I want to use the Lycanroc icon in my signature but it is too big. Any help?
Does anyone have a smaller version on hand? Let's get this man/woman/Waddle Dee flaired up.
Should be about the same size as the rest of the stock icons.

Feel free to add the small icon to the front page for those who need it, Delzethin Delzethin . Also, thought you were going to add those recolors to the front page?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Though the first sign that it was fanmade was sticking Gardevoir and then Gothitelle in "to represent Gen 3/5".
I think it's half that, half who they chose. Gen III gets one of its most popular Pokemon, while V gets a Pokemon that isn't even as popular as Finneon.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Considering there're placeholders for up to five Lycanroc forms in the Global Link's data, I'm still surprised there never were any others. Were they just being proactive? Did something go amiss mid-development? Hopefully something like that behind the scenes hasn't crippled our chances without us ever knowing.

Or who knows, perhaps they still have plans, and we're about to be relevant even in Gen 8. Stranger things have happened, right?

If they had up to 5 forms planned... Maybe Lycanroc was even bigger than we thought?

It’s entering a similar number to Eevee evolutions. And if two of these forms, like a Dawn form and another new form, are saved for Gen 8, then that would increase our chances if there is no Gen 7 Pokémon for the base game because Lycanroc is being pushed and is relevant for two generations.

That last statement may be a little tin foil hat territory, but it’s interesting that they may have had up to 3 forms added along with Midday and Midnight. Of course one of those is Dusk now and it seems that the trio is final, but they may have something else planned for Lycanroc. It to me, points to Lycanroc’s overall presence that we’ve talked about before, even if Day, Night, and Dusk is all we got, it shows that Game Freak originally had more plans with the line.

Maybe half step mega evolutions for Midday and Midnight anyone? Hey, it can happen, and it’d be pretty cool. Maybe they’ll give Midday and Midnight dual typing.

Last edited:

Maikou

Smash Ace
So I've been watching the Sun/Moon anime, got up to Episode 24 (I think?). I'm actually liking things so far. It's probably the most drastically the anime has ever diverged from the games, but I see that as automatically a bad thing. Pikachu is cuter than ever, and....honestly, all the cute Pokemon are even more adorable. Rowlet, Litten, Popplio, Rockruff, they're all too adorable!

I really hate the animation in regards to Team Rocket though. Meowth nearly dying and Jessie getting crushed by Bewear is not in the slightest funny, nor is James constantly getting poisoned. That's not even getting into their expressions, which just keep getting way too disturbing. They've never been treated like this before, and I hate it. Before you could always tell it was just the usual slapstick, but this doesn't feel like slapstick. I'm also not fond of how Pikachu seems to be getting the short end of the stick in terms of slapstick too, but that's not as bad since they're at least keeping him cute and not, you know, putting his life at risk.

That said, I like the art style now that I've gotten used to it, I love the characters for the most part, and I'm really impressed with how they did the episode with Litten and Stoutland.
View attachment 167365

View attachment 167366

Also, does this mean we can count on you as a supporter?

For what it's worth, that particular rumor claimed Richter was in instead of Simon, rather than alongside him. This got overlooked for those two weeks or so where it was the popular rumor on the block.

Though the first sign that it was fanmade was sticking Gardevoir and then Gothitelle in "to represent Gen 3/5". Obsessing over representation is a fan thing, not a Sakurai thing. We're the ones who treat the roster as some kind of measuring contest of who matters and who doesn't, which is why people get so up in arms over "undeserving" characters, or why some others try to play Thanos and "balance the reps".

Didn't someone at some point say that Dusk form was called Twilight Form in Japan? That would represent both dusk and dawn. If that's the case, we don't really need a Dawn form. I do love that picture though, it's just kinda funny to see a wolf flipping off an alarm clock.

I'll admit, a "Starlight Form" would probably be the definition of awesome, especially if Lycanroc remains cute in that form. That said, it seems like Fairy is as close to a "Light" type as we'll get.

MasteRMerF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasteRMerF
3DS FC
5000-2607-1297
Well, since we've gotten new supporters since the last time this was asked (I think), what's your ideal representation for Lycanroc in Ultimate? I would personally love to have all 3 playable though I can see that might be a bit too much.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Didn't someone at some point say that Dusk form was called Twilight Form in Japan? That would represent both dusk and dawn. If that's the case, we don't really need a Dawn form. I do love that picture though, it's just kinda funny to see a wolf flipping off an alarm clock.

I'll admit, a "Starlight Form" would probably be the definition of awesome, especially if Lycanroc remains cute in that form. That said, it seems like Fairy is as close to a "Light" type as we'll get.
While it is called the "Twilight Form" in Japanese, the design is clearly meant to invoke the idea of day transitioning into night.

Also, there actually is a niche open still for elemental light. The Fairy type doesn't actually cover it--Fairy is more a mix of magic and life energy; even the move "Light of Ruin" is explicitly powered by life force--and moves such as Flash and Morning Sun that use pure light remained Normal (used as a catch-all type at times) instead of becoming part Fairy. And of the 'mons previously associated with light before Gen 6, none of them became part Fairy aside from the ones that made more sense as Fairy types!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
If they had up to 5 forms planned... Maybe Lycanroc was even bigger than we thought?

It’s entering a similar number to Eevee evolutions. And if two of these forms, like a Dawn form and another new form, are saved for Gen 8, then that would increase our chances if there is no Gen 7 Pokémon for the base game because Lycanroc is being pushed and is relevant for two generations.

That last statement may be a little tin foil hat territory, but it’s interesting that they may have had up to 3 forms added along with Midday and Midnight. Of course one of those is Dusk now and it seems that the trio is final, but they may have something else planned for Lycanroc. It to me, points to Lycanroc’s overall presence that we’ve talked about before, even if Day, Night, and Dusk is all we got, it shows that Game Freak originally had more plans with the line.

Maybe half step mega evolutions for Midday and Midnight anyone? Hey, it can happen, and it’d be pretty cool. Maybe they’ll give Midday and Midnight dual typing.
Those other two placeholders are most likely Shiny Midday and Midnight.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
If a gen 7 rep is necessary, I hope it's Lycanroc. Incineroar would be a disappointment.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
If a gen 7 rep is necessary, I hope it's Lycanroc. Incineroar would be a disappointment.
I know how you feel. My main criteria for supporting newcomers (other than Bomberman, who I have a long history with) is moveset potential (and even for Bomberman, I feel like he has great moveset potential). Moveset potential is the major reason I support both Vaati and Lip, a big reason why I support Krystal, and a strong point in the favor of both Isaac and Banjo. I love Delzethin's Challenger Approaching videos for exploring the subject of moveset potential and character concepts in depth, and I hope he covers Vaati and Lip in the future.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Those other two placeholders are most likely Shiny Midday and Midnight.
It probably isn’t. Shinies don’t need seperate spots since they are recolors, not to mention that there wouldn’t be one available for Dusk and Dusk has one. Although, I think the devs might’ve thought the forms we have so far satisfied them.

Well, since we've gotten new supporters since the last time this was asked (I think), what's your ideal representation for Lycanroc in Ultimate? I would personally love to have all 3 playable though I can see that might be a bit too much.
Same thing for me! I like Dusk, but I still want Midday and Midnight to join the fray too.

Maybe it is too much? But at the same time there’s a neat concept with multiple forms, and Dusk and Midday can be an echoes (or alts) of eachother. Not to mention they all had times where they were in the spotlight, sometimes all at once.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If Alolan Pokemon League becomes a stage, Olivia's section could get whichever form(s) isn't playable in the background. It wouldn't be forced either, as Olivia actually does own a Lycanroc.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Does that mean we can count on you as a supporter as well? Nice to see more people coming out of the woodworks despite the rumors hanging overhead.

It probably isn’t. Shinies don’t need seperate spots since they are recolors, not to mention that there wouldn’t be one available for Dusk and Dusk has one. Although, I think the devs might’ve thought the forms we have so far satisfied them.
Correct about the shiny alts; they aren't given their own spots in the Global Link. Whatever went on here, it wasn't related to that.

The actual question is: Could there still be a couple more forms planned? Was something considered early on but dropped or cut for time? Or were they just tacked on as a failsafe, or for some other reason that'd only make sense to a programmer? Hard to say.

If Alolan Pokemon League becomes a stage, Olivia's section could get whichever form(s) isn't playable in the background. It wouldn't be forced either, as Olivia actually does own a Lycanroc.
Potentially. Though with how many stadium-themed Pokémon stages we've already had, I'd rather we got something a little more unique, you know?

Last edited:
Top Bottom