• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dash Attack - Everything you wanted to know, and more. (WiP) [shield/hit update]

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581

Hello there, Kinzer here.

So if you play Sonic, chances are that dash attack gets a little bit of use from you... or a lot. Either way, I'm sure that you have some things about this move that still elude you, don't you?

No?

Aww c'mon, you're lying! Aren't you curious to know the exact frame advantage or disadvantage for connecting with the attack on shield?

Did you even know that Dash Attack has not one, but two different hitboxes, both dealing different amounts of damage and giving certain amounts of shieldstun?

No matter how much you may know, I encourage you to take a read, you won't regret it I promise!

First, why don't we start off with how to use this move?

On a normal control scheme, you can perform Dash attack by starting a run and then hitting the attack button after. Sonic will curl into ball form; the attack lasts for a while, and Sonic gets carried forward a bit.

But the interesting properties of this attack do not stop there.

Assuming Sonic doesn't connect with the strong attack, the attack will still linger for a bit before Sonic recoils onto his feet. Depending on when you connect with the attack, it will deal varying amounts of damage and knockback, but how much remains constant while taking into consideration the stale move negation.

Still with me? It gets more complicated from here on out...

Allow me to start off slowly and give you some exact number crunches:

Terminology:

What is Frame data?

For those who may not know, a "frame" is one sixtieth of a second. Sixty frames translates to "one second" in real time.

The average reaction time appears to be around 9-11 frames given a certain environment (a gaming tournament) under a certain kind of environmental influence (crowd cheering, external/internal pressure, etc.).

Frame data will tell you how long an animation is, or takes to perform.

What is IASA?

"IASA" is short for "In As Soon As," which a fancy, and easier way to say "this is the frame which 'this' action can be performed." "This" refers to an input, like pressing the attack or special button, tilting or smashing the direction/control stick, and button combinations of that sort.

What is display percentage:

When in a match, your character takes damage for every hit he or she takes. Certain attacks deal a certain amount of damage. Other attacks deal a fraction of a percent. It is difficult to tell exactly how much damage an opponent has, so instead the game, and pretty much everybody else, rounds it off to whichever figure is closer.

To give you an idea of what you can't see, when it says your character has "46%" it could be that your character in reality has "46.32%" or 45.71%." Either way, the display percentage will likely be "46%." The display percentage is a good benchmark on telling you what attacks to look out for, and other things hence forth.

What do you mean "advantage/disadvantage?"

Later on in this guide I'll be mentioning some general, and character specific frame-data crunches. If I tell you "X has a Y frame advantage/disadvantage here," it means how much time a character is stuck in a certain animation. An advantage means the character gets a few extra milliseconds to act, a disadvantage means the character gets punished for either hitting, or being hit, by an attack, for a certain amount of time before the situation (for them) gets reset back to neutral.

What do you mean when you say "from a run?"

Let me get one thing straight, a run doesn't take any amount frames to do or commit to; just the input frame (frame 0). The instant you slam that direction pad left or right, Sonic begins his rush in that direction. Now just one frame after the input frame, Sonic can do a multitude of things. He can cancel his run into a Forward smash, a jump, hit the brakes, and things like that.

To put it another way, of course a run doesn't have a set amount of commitment to it other than in a couple of given situations.

You:

A - Let go of the direction pad.
B - Jump.
C - Run out of ground.
D - Get bored of running around.

Among other things that I will not mention here specifically because that would take me a really long time, and I encourage you to investigate Sonic's options yourself/be creative, plus this isn't exactly the thread/guide for that.

To answer the query, "from a run" means the moment Sonic starts his run, not when he's already running.

Worry not though, I will do my best to mention raw data, and data including the inputs.

Registration frames:

By "registration" I mean the first moment you can input a Dash Attack from a run and get it to come out as a dash attack, and not as a forward smash. That's right, It cannot be done immediately after you start a run, or you may not get what you want.

1 - Sonic starts his run.
2 -
3 -
4 -
5 -
6 -
7 - Dash Attack IASA

From the first frame of input, all the way into the 7th, Sonic will need to commit to his run in order to perform Dash Attack.

If you have already been running, ignore this for the appropriate moment.

Attack Frame Data:

From the moment Sonic goes into his dash attack animation:

Entire attack duration - 43 Frames (49 from a run).

First hitbox comes out on - Frame 4 (10 from a run).

Sonic takes 3 frames to get his hitbox out (9 from a run).

First hitbox ends on - Frame 7 (13 from a run).

First hitbox duration: 4 frames.

Second hitbox comes out on - Frame 8 (14 from a run).

Second hitbox ends on - Frame 24 (30 from a run).

Second hitbox duration - 17 frames.

Time Sonic has a hitbox in his attack - 21 frames.

From frame 25 up until frame 43, Sonic is in ending lag in which he cannot act and is open to counter attack until the 44th frame.

Total amount of end lag - 19 frames.

Total amount of dead frames (Sonic doesn't have a hitbox out in this time) - 22 frames.

What does this tell the mathematically illiterate?

You want me to give you some real-world applications for all these numbers? No problem!

Using dash attack to punish another attack during a run cannot be reacted to by a normal human unless they predicted it. From a run however, it's borderline unpunishable and punuishable (Remember the average reaction time, and how long this move takes to come out from a run?). As a counterattack out of shield, it gets even more finicky, considering that it takes a while for the shield to drop, and different attacks have differing amounts of shieldstun and endlag, which dash attack may or may not be able to punish in that circumstance.

Allow me to give you some food for thought on just what it's like to punish with dash attack out of shield:

Let us say that two Sonics are standing right next to each other. One decides to take a risk and attack with forward smash. The other Sonic puts up his shield for defense from physical harm (grabs would ignore the shield.)

Sonic's forward smash comes out on frame 18.

From the point that forward smash connects, the defending Sonic drops his shield and attempts to counter with dash attack.

Here's what happens:

It takes 8 frames to drop a shield without any kind of interference.

Considering that forward smash delivers shieldstun, it takes the defending Sonic's shield 16 frames to disappear!

However!

Sonic's forward smash has a hefty amount of endlag. I won't tell you exactly how much, but I will say that it is enough for the defending Sonic to punish with a dash attack.

Now let's use another example.

Let us say that two Sonics are standing right next to each other. One decides to take a risk and attack with Homing Attack. The other Sonic puts up his shield for defense from physical harm (grabs would ignore the shield).

Sonic's Homing Attack comes out on...

Well, that's not really important for this example.
41 frames you nitpickers.

... Anyway...

From the point that Homing Attack connects, the defending Sonic drops his shield and attempts to counter with dash attack.

Here's what happens:

Considering that Homing Attack delivers shieldstun, it takes the defending Sonic's shield 16 11 frames to disappear!

However!

Sonic's Homing Attack has a hefty amount of endlag. I won't tell you exactly how much, but I will say that it isn't enough for the defending Sonic to punish with a dash attack.

Feeling any deja'vu? Feeling a bit confused?

You're thinking too hard.

Yes, Homing Attack sucks. Yes, it's start-up lag is way beyond easy to react to and punish before it even comes out. Yes, Homing Attack is still pretty laggy no matter what. Certainly though dash attack itself cannot punish it.

Regardless, Sonic can act before he touches the ground from a Homing Attack that hits a shield. This means that he can Spring Jump, he can Spin Dash, he can Spin Charge, he can do an aerial; basically he won't be in enough lag from Homing Attack to punish with dash attack.

Guess what though?

This is where you use your judgment on whether or not the opponent can predict/expect retaliation from dash attack or otherwise. If the real world throws something at you as ridiculous as my last example did, just go with another option. I won't say better, once again that decision falls upon you, but clearly Sonic's Homing Attack has a lot of ways it can be abused.

The dead frames of dash attack can be or can not be deadly. Now that you know the attack lengths/duration/etc., allow me to tell you some more data that I think you will find very useful...

Attack damage:

Strong hit attack damage:

0 prior / No decay - 6%
1 prior - 5%
2 prior - 4%
3 prior - 4%
4 prior - 3%
5 prior - 3%
6 prior - 3%
7 prior - 3%
8 prior - 2%
9 prior / Full decay - 2%

Weak hit attack damage:

0 prior / No decay - 4%
1 prior - 3%
2 prior - 3%
3 prior - 2%
4 prior - 2%
5 prior - 2%
6 prior - 2%
7 prior- 2%
8 prior - 1%
9 prior / Full decay - 1%

These are the figures you get when you consistently and constantly hit with dash attack. Shield attacks do not register in the stale move negation list, nor attacks that don't hit anything. Display percents will vary from time to time because not only may dash attack not have an exact figure, but other attacks wil lnot have an exact percentage either.

To give you an idea of what I am saying:

A fresh dash attack deals 6% damage. A fresh 1-2-3 jab combo with Sonic deals 7% damage in total. Assuming you hit with both, your opponent should have 13%, although the game is telling you that it did 14% damage.

That's one of the quirks this game has.

Also:

Assuming that you connect with two Dash attacks in a row on the same opponent. Going by my list, your opponent should have 11% but instead has 12%, what's the deal?

Again, that's display percent. Just... What you see is what you get.

Character-specific frame data:

Some things you should know:

The amount of time which the opponent gets stuck in hitstun is constantly +27 frames (in their advantage) when the strong hit of dash attack connects on the first frame.

The reason why follow-ups are possible with dash attack is all entirely dependent on the opposing character and their stats, the percent they are at, the decay of the attack, and when/where the weak hit connects.

The possible/"guaranteed" follow-ups are also at the mercy of the opponents' Directional Influence. Using no DI, the opponent was nowhere near Sonic at the end of his attack after the strong hit IASA connected, however using debug mode to emulate frame-perfect Directional Influence, the opponent ending up right next to Sonic.

More on Weak hit DA as more is discovered. Right now though, it's all good news from here on out. :)

On shield:

Perfect Shield strong hit frame advantage: -31.

This is the soonest frame strong hit dash attack connects with a shield and gets perfect shielded. This is the absolute most time an opponent will have to punish Sonic, any other instance and there's less time of opportunity for punishment until the weak hit of dash attack comes into play.

Strong hit frame advantage: -28.

This is the soonest frame strong hist dash attack connects with a shield and is not perfect shielded. Any later and there is less opportunity for punishment until the weak hit of dash attack comes into play.

Perfect shield weak hit frame advantage: -28.

This is the soonest frame weak hit dash attack connects with a shield and is perfect shielded. Any later and there is less opportunity for punish until the weak hit dash attack hitbox wears off.

Weak hit frame advantage: -28.

This is the soonest frame weak hit dash attack connects with a shield and is not perfect shielded. Any later and there is less opportunity for punishment until the weak hit dash attack hitbox wears off.

To calculate the frame (dis)advantage for frames not given, consider that the strong hit of dash attack lasts four frames, from 4-7. In this example, add three frames if you want to find out the (dis)advantage for the last frame of strong hit dash attack perfect shielded (28). For weak hit, consider that it lasts 17 frames. subtract 16 to find out the disadvantage for the last frame of weak hit dash attack perfect shielded (12).

Follow-ups:

TBA

Advanced techniques that involve the use of, are related to, or concern dash attack:

TBA

Credits:

TBA

Last words:

If you see anything wrong with this guide, like some data being left out, typed again, incorrect, improperly formatted, or anything else of that matter, please let me know and I will fix it ASAP. The whole point of this guide is to inform and to educate, that goes for the OP too.

Lastly, I want to say that this is your face after you find all the Easter Eggs in this guide and enjoyed them to the point where it made you want to read the whole thing to the end.

... This is the moderators' face after they see that some of the Easter Eggs aren't exactly not-suggestive. I promise there's no nudity though, and if I have to take them out let me know, just please don't I.P. Ban me. I need to be around so I can complete/perfect this guide and help the Sonic community grow. ;_;

Browny

Smash Hater
uhhhh.... thats a lot of info for a pretty basic attack lol

your example with HA makes no sense btw, of course you cant punish that with a dash attack -_-

Great post but honestly, you could cut it down to 1/3rd of its current size by removing all redundant info. Being concise is important.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
uhhhh.... thats a lot of info for a pretty basic attack lol

your example with HA makes no sense btw, of course you cant punish that with a dash attack -_-

Great post but honestly, you could cut it down to 1/3rd of its current size by removing all redundant info. Being concise is important.
You think? I still haven't delved into the Advanced techniques like perfect DACUS, DASC, and all that fancy stuff, which certainly isn't "child's play."

... I... kind of want to get people to think, I don't want to just a make a guide so that people can come here, read it, and do things "by the book." Sonic isn't that type of character that can be played with just the things on face-value.

You're going to have to help me with that. Like I said, I'm going to add a lot more information, trimming it down isn't exactly on the agenda right now, but it's late, I have some schoolwork I need to do, and I'll probably come back to this later today if not in a week.

Browny

Smash Hater
Ok ill do this real quick, edit in a min

also none of you hotlinked images work
Hello there, Kinzer here.

So if you play Sonic, chances are that dash attack gets a little bit of use from you... or a lot. Either way, I'm sure that you have some things about this move that still elude you, don't you?

No?

Aww c'mon, you're lying! Aren't you curious to know the exact frame advantage or disadvantage for connecting with the attack on shield?

Did you even know that Dash Attack has not one, but two different hitboxes, both dealing different amounts of damage and giving certain amounts of shieldstun?

No matter how much you may know, I encourage you to take a read, you won't regret it I promise!

First, why don't we start off with how to use this move?

On a normal control scheme, you can perform Dash attack by starting a run and then hitting the attack button after. Sonic will curl into ball form; the attack lasts for a while, and Sonic gets carried forward a bit.

But the interesting properties of this attack do not stop there.

Assuming Sonic doesn't connect with the strong attack, the attack will still linger for a bit before Sonic recoils onto his feet. Depending on when you connect with the attack, it will deal varying amounts of damage and knockback, but how much remains constant while taking into consideration the stale move negation.

Still with me? It gets more complicated from here on out...

Allow me to start off slowly and give you some exact number crunches:

Terminology:

What is Frame data?

For those who may not know, a "frame" is one sixtieth of a second. Sixty frames translates to "one second" in real time.

The average reaction time appears to be around 9-11 frames given a certain environment (a gaming tournament) under a certain kind of environmental influence (crowd cheering, external/internal pressure, etc.).

Frame data will tell you how long an animation is, or takes to perform.

What is IASA?

IASA actually means interruptable as soon as, and your description is not clear at all

What is display percentage:

this is obvious and could be done in 2 senteces.

What do you mean when you say "from a run?"

Let me get one thing straight, a run doesn't take any amount frames to do or commit to; just the input frame (frame 0). The instant you slam that direction pad left or right, Sonic begins his rush in that direction. Now just one frame after the input frame, Sonic can do a multitude of things. He can cancel his run into a Forward smash, a jump, hit the brakes, and things like that.

To answer the query, "from a run" means the moment Sonic starts his run, not when he's already running.

The rest is a bit unneccesary

Attack Frame Data:

This can be condensed massively, something like
Dash Attack frame data (From a run)

First hitbox comes out: 4 (10)
Second hitbox comes out: 8 (14)
Second hitbox ends: 24 (30)
Attack completes: 43 (49)
Vulnerable frames after 2nd hitbox disspears: 19 frames.

You want me to give you some real-world applications for all these numbers? No problem!

Using dash attack to punish another attack during a run cannot be reacted to by a normal human unless they predicted it. From a run however, it's borderline unpunishable and punuishable (Remember the average reaction time, and how long this move takes to come out from a run?). As a counterattack out of shield, it gets even more finicky, considering that it takes a while for the shield to drop, and different attacks have differing amounts of shieldstun and endlag, which dash attack may or may not be able to punish in that circumstance.

Allow me to give you some food for thought on just what it's like to punish with dash attack out of shield:

Let us say that two Sonics are standing right next to each other. One decides to take a risk and attack with forward smash. The other Sonic puts up his shield for defense from physical harm (grabs would ignore the shield.)

Sonic's forward smash comes out on frame 18. not important

From the point that forward smash connects, the defending Sonic drops his shield and attempts to counter with dash attack.

Here's what happens:

Considering that forward smash delivers shieldstun, it takes the defending Sonic's shield 16 frames to disappear!

However!

Sonic's forward smash has a hefty amount of endlag. I won't tell you exactly how much, but I will say that it is enough for the defending Sonic to punish with a dash attack.
Just say the number itll require less typing

HA part is pretty useless. If you are going to give an example, make it something that is actually possible in-game.

The dead frames of dash attack can be or can not be deadly. Now that you know the attack lengths/duration/etc., allow me to tell you some more data that I think you will find very useful...

Attack damage:

Strong hit attack damage:

0 prior / No decay - 6%
1 prior - 5%
2 prior - 4%
3 prior - 4%
4 prior - 3%
5 prior - 3%
6 prior - 3%
7 prior - 3%
8 prior - 2%
9 prior / Full decay - 2%

Weak hit attack damage:

0 prior / No decay - 4%
1 prior - 3%
2 prior - 3%
3 prior - 2%
4 prior - 2%
5 prior - 2%
6 prior - 2%
7 prior- 2%
8 prior - 1%
9 prior / Full decay - 1%

These are the figures you get when you consistently and constantly hit with dash attack. Shield attacks do not register in the stale move negation list, nor attacks that don't hit anything. Display percents will vary from time to time because not only may dash attack not have an exact figure, but other attacks wil lnot have an exact percentage either.

To give you an idea of what I am saying:

A fresh dash attack deals 6% damage. A fresh 1-2-3 jab combo with Sonic deals 7% damage in total. Assuming you hit with both, your opponent should have 13%, although the game is telling you that it did 14% damage.

That's one of the quirks this game has.

Also:

Assuming that you connect with two Dash attacks in a row on the same opponent. Going by my list, your opponent should have 11% but instead has 12%, what's the deal?

Again, that's display percent. Just... What you see is what you get.You already explained this, no need to do it again

Last words:

If you see anything wrong with this guide, like some data being left out, typed again, incorrect, improperly formatted, or anything else of that matter, please let me know and I will fix it ASAP. The whole point of this guide is to inform and to educate, that goes for the OP too.

Lastly, I want to say that this is your face after you find all the Easter Eggs in this guide and enjoyed them to the point where it made you want to read the whole thing to the end.

... This is the moderators' face after they see that some of the Easter Eggs aren't exactly not-suggestive. I promise there's no nudity though, and if I have to take them out let me know, just please don't I.P. Ban me. I need to be around so I can complete/perfect this guide and help the Sonic community grow. ;_;

Adamated

Smash Apprentice
Wow. a lot of info. I've seen some pretty cool stuff like end of the 2nd hitbox to a forced spring. I think blue is the one who showed me. Pretty cool stuff. Cant wait till it's finished

Life

Smash Hero
Seven frames before you can dash attack? Is that with or without instant dash attack (c-stick down as soon as you start running)?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I can't tell, Debug pause disables the use of the C-Stick, so any data concerning the C-Stick can't be 100% confirmed.

Also DJB, are you sure the hotlinks aren't working? I can see them just fine.

... Yeah, I'd put what information I have found out, but I rather get it all done in one huge update, which I wouldn't expect anytime soon. Seriously, this s*** takes a long while...

I will say this though, in real time, all you need to do is buffer the instant dash attack and you'll dash attack the soonest you can (whenever that is). Just make sure that you hit the direction pad before you hit the C-Stick or you'll buffer a DSmash instead. :X

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I think you could have condensed this thread, ALOT by bypassing all of the basic nooby definitions and simple stuff.

They can learn those kinds of things from other threads. at some point you have to make these threads with some kind of knowledge basis to work with so you dont have to make giant wall of texts with the simple basics in it in every single thread you make.

Flayl

Smash Hero
I'd focus more on after what %s (considering it's fresh) is dash attack is safe to use, I've gotten free NAirs on Sonic when he punished me at low %s with this move.

Also the registration frames is pretty much wrong. Use the C-stick downwards to do an immediate (might actually require 1 frame of running) dash attack.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I think you could have condensed this thread, ALOT by bypassing all of the basic nooby definitions and simple stuff.

They can learn those kinds of things from other threads. at some point you have to make these threads with some kind of knowledge basis to work with so you dont have to make giant wall of texts with the simple basics in it in every single thread you make.
Dully noted.

I'd focus more on after what %s (considering it's fresh) is dash attack is safe to use, I've gotten free NAirs on Sonic when he punished me at low %s with this move.

Also the registration frames is pretty much wrong. Use the C-stick downwards to do an immediate (might actually require 1 frame of running) dash attack.
Of course, that's what I'm working on next.

... C'mon, I'm not the only person with Debug pause, am I? C-Stick doesn't work when it's active. ;~;

I suppose I should leave a note somewhere... Both about debug pause and how the C-Stick will help with a lot of this stuff in real time, especially when you get into things like Perfect DACUS and IDA.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I have to believe that its spelled 'duly' but im not sure.

@flayl, me and a couple others were workign on that but theres a lot of variables to test and theres a lot of options to look at.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
yeah Kinzer with iDA, dash attack can be done instant out of run. also buffering it out of anything is possible as well so that data shouldnt stand really. just tell ppl to use c-stick down so they can dash attack the moment the smash the control stick in whatever direction.

Truth be told my dear friend, there isnt a single piece of data placed in this thread that cant be found through relatively easy means. KID and I have some info already, however the most important thing that can be done is this thread is frame advantage ON HIT. thats the data that would actually be useful at this point and time.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I have to believe that its spelled 'duly' but im not sure.
No, I did a Google search. "Dully" is the word I'm looking for. This dully means "without emotion" or something along those lines.

yeah Kinzer with iDA, dash attack can be done instant out of run. also buffering it out of anything is possible as well so that data shouldnt stand really. just tell ppl to use c-stick down so they can dash attack the moment the smash the control stick in whatever direction.

Truth be told my dear friend, there isnt a single piece of data placed in this thread that cant be found through relatively easy means. KID and I have some info already, however the most important thing that can be done is this thread is frame advantage ON HIT. thats the data that would actually be useful at this point and time.
Yes yes, believe me I'm getting that data, I'm just waiting until I have every character to update it in the OP. I just wanted to get the "small fry" out of the way.

Plus it always helps to have another resource, that way it solidifies the accuracy of the frame data.

Oh, and lest you not forget the frame data for when dash attack connects on a shield, and not only that, but where it connects. How many of you know that if you hit the back of the shield that it makes Sonic's dash attack safer not because the frame (dis)advantage is any different, but because of the knockback, which in turn will make it so that it takes more time for an attack to get to Sonic (because he's still spinning forward and junk). You and KID are both right in saying that there are a lot of variables, that's why I'm getting everything.

All of this, while I'm at school... Just three more assignments in Pre-Calc then my weekend is free and I can get a helluva done in that time...

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Kinzer. Of course if you hit the back of the shield it would take more time to punish cuz hes still moving forward. Thats just common sense homeboy. Im telling you that truthfully all that extra information is not needed. Everything else besides the frame advantage on hit is virtually irrelevant. Im telling you this because I know you have a ton to do. Dont waste your time on things that dont matter, at least thats what i believe you shouldnt do.

For instance you info about punishing things with dash attack. All you had to do is put down dash attacks frame data. For people who cant understand it, just say that shield drop is 8 frames + 4 frames for dash attack. Any cool down for a move that has a higher amount of frames than 14 after subtracting the shield stun can be punished by dash attack.

I know you love your drawn out scenarios; you're definitely a story teller. However such a thread should be a guide for Sonics of all levels for one, and needs to be filled with data and a brief explanation of the data for those who dont understand. Your "examples" are more so tangents.

The basics basics u described are things that should be found in Smash Dojo. Again i know you are getting the data, at that in itself is a huge help toward the community. I just want the same as you; to have a wonderful guide that reveals some extra info regarding an already excellent move in our repertoire.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
There.

I'm sorry it took me so long to make a new post, and update the OP, but I finally got something done. I doubt many of you will be joyed to find out just how punishable dash attack is on block and how bad the strong hit is at low percents, but once I figure out the weak hit frame advantages (they're there!), this will look a bit more cheery.

It will also look more cheery if I can clean-up the OP as well by the request of a few of you, but right now my priority is to make sure that my procedure is as clear and emulatable as possible. I may be leading this project, but I don't have to be the only one getting the data. All you need is a lot of time, debug pause, and a passion for Sonic. :)

I will not let this project die, I'm getting every single @#$%ing detail down, whether y'all like it or not, grzuignuipgnuigxozx!!!!

Until then, please wait for me everybody, I promise I'll have Sonic's dash attack broken down, just as I've done so for U-Throw, D-Throw, and maybe some other of Sonic's move projects I may have forgotten about. >_>

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Kinzer. noone is talking about letting this project die; Ive have been testing Dash attack for months now. KID and I have been testing things for it for about a month now. Like I said playboy, we have data on what follow ups work and why. However the BEST thing for this project is to have the exact frame advantage data on hit. Then from that we can speak on how DI affects that and we can add your numbers to the work we have done.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Kinzer. noone is talking about letting this project die; Ive have been testing Dash attack for months now. KID and I have been testing things for it for about a month now. Like I said playboy, we have data on what follow ups work and why. However the BEST thing for this project is to have the exact frame advantage data on hit. Then from that we can speak on how DI affects that and we can add your numbers to the work we have done.
I never said anyone was, I just felt like nothing was getting done with me not updating anything. :<

Anyway, that'll probably come in the next two weeks.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
Kinzer my friend, I told you I already have field tested info for you. You ask and you will receive. Infact ill put down a bit of info right now which is probably some of the most important.

Okay. If you guys have figured this out by now, we have quite a few attacks that function like MK (insane!). Dash attack is one of them. It puts characters in bad positions vs us even if they have frame advantage. The intial hit virtually puts characters in the same place MK's does. Except instead of Shuttle Loop, we have FH or DJ bair, uair traps in the form of sh delayed uair (for the perfect auto cancel) < buffered utilt or upwards ftilt, our quick FH fair, Nair which if AD nets us a soft hit< grab, spring trap, SIDE B HOP LAND CAMPING ( for forcing and punishing AD; think nado).

Now. here are some true combos (at least to my knowledge) that work for most of the cast. they all come with hitting the last active hitbox! Now it may seem ridiculously hard to space, but it is possible with land camping DAs (again think MK).

According to my testing so far, everything that is 7 frames or less has worked when buffered. This gives us obviously:

- grab
-FTILT
-DTILT (lock)
-utilt
-sh aerials sans dair and bair
- JAB
-DA

Now sh aerials are good because well we all have our own follow ups to those and as such it puts you in a good position to do ur normal follow ups of a move that is very easy to connect with and in the case of Land Camping is very safe. However the best thing about these DA combos is landing our jab and tilts. Why? Because they allow for lovely little frame traps.

Ftilt: When Ftilt connects it sends the opponent at a VERY low trajectory. Of course this is dependent on % and DI, however this move is so interesting because of these two hits that hit low, it can send your opponent into 3 things which are all good:

- sliding hitstun. this is when you opponent is technically in the air but they seem to be gliding across the ground in hitstun until they land in which case they suffer landing lag. This is awesome because if you buffer a dash it becomes a huge guessing game for the opponent because by the time the hitstun wears off you are right in their face. Now i need to test this more, but ftilt>buffer dash grab is unfortunately not a true combo, but its really close which is why its a good string provided your mixup. ( again think MK first hit ftilt< dash grab) this hitstun ends 65% on mario; do the math.

- low air trajectory. this one people are comfortable with because its like bairing someone at 30%. People usually AD when chases after this so free grab for you. its seriously like a frame trap because our DA can reach them in time again which means a reset of the situation.

- knockdown. This one is my favorite because it puts us in a brilliant position for a tech chase which is stupid dumb for sonic (i love to tech chase this into dthrow for another tech chase for some good damage) Its basically a free grab whatever they do provided you react accordingly. I love this one because if they dont tech, you get bdacus and dash attack to reset ON REACTION due to the cool down of ftilt. If you rush fast enough, jab locks can happen. Also an interesting thing to note is sometimes ppl ff down when they see this move so they may 'lock' themselves which nets an auto get up so u can do whatever you want.

Dtilt: when you hit with dtilt you get dtilt lock. You also get someone right above you which is often a very bad position for them to be in due to uair. Also if we buffer our fast aerials at low mid percents the situation bears remarkable similarity to uthrow at 0% in the fact: FH uair beats anything cept AD. This like dashing under the opponent and bairing work. Ppl love to react to SDSC in that spacing because its so close. utilize that

Utilt: is just 14% damage which is good because often we are using grab alot so unless they are in high percentage where you can pummel or ur opponent doesnt buffer grab break, then use this because chances are ( at least for most sonics) this move isnt being used much and as such it will do its true damage. Also sets them up in the air, yay for us

Grab: self explanatory. Probably uthrow or dthrow> tech chase uthrow. Also not at certain percents bthrow> DACUS/ hyphen smash ( Dacus is comes out quicker) is effective ESPECIALLY on BF at mid percents due to the platforms.

Jab: Okay. Jab is the best. seriously. Especially after me finally finding out holding it will remove my dumb problems of getting it PS. Jab cancel frame trap can net you jab<tilts/grab if they dont react asap. Full jab combo is awesome because more than any of your other options it easily resets due to the combination of hitstun, cooldown, and knockback.

let me show you one of my strings that have helped me out quite a bit. DA (last hit) < full jab combo< DA (late or last hit)<ftilt< grab. Now its seems pretty ridiculous but once you learn how to space DA, these combos are pretty easy to land. Strings like the infamous one Espy performed on Mike Haze are something that shouldnt be a one time deal. Dash Attack is a very brilliant connector and combo starter for us. Learn it.

I didnt really discuss hitting with beginning with the late hit because the opponent has frame advantage there and they are usually close to you. However if they dont DI really well ( happens majority) if they land normally (due to the REALLY low trajectory) buffered ftilt is free for most everyone. walk abit shield grab is good too.

late hit (especially if its the last hit box) is amazing however because it give us a fsmash/dsmash frame trap that is actually valid!!!!!!!! Ive been using it recently ( well more) and it is freakin brilliant. So definitely jump on that. So there yah go Kinzer, theres the real info needed. I just need number confirmation but this stuff has been tested, implemented against pros, and it definitely works.

Also for beginners on buffering. U have to buffer something within the last ten frames of the move. If you are still holding down a direction like forward, down or the z button by the time the frames are over you will mess up the buffer.

Lastly, if you didnt know the visual buffer cue for sonic is when he returns out of the ball phase and lands his feet on the ground.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
everyone here should pick up ZSS for a couple matches so they can get a feel for jab to down tilt, as its really good with her, and not as good, tho still effective for us.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
finally someone understands. Yes. Jab>dtilt is good for us. And if they are slow at punishing. dtilt>jab helps too.

B.A.M.

Smash Lord
NNID
Bambatta
wow was this thread just abandoned? wheres all the data that was coming? this is truly sadness.

Top Bottom