• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dark Samus for Brawl+: Now with less brokeness [July 8th Update]

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
Well, I've finally got the audio working (kinda), so the vids should be up by tomorrow (would be today if YT didn't take so long to upload stuff).

EDIT: 14... ****ing... hours...!

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
I honestly think Dark Samus has the best chance, I think we all should be dedicated enough to make it happen! Yeah!

lol. Seriously though, I'd love for DS to be legal.

colored blind

Smash Journeyman
Roy, without a doubt, has the best chance. Arguably the most missed Melee absentee (tied with Mewtwo), as well as most advanced and tested clone codeset.

But DS represents the ability to bring a new character into the game. I think she's tied with Doc for second. It helps that DS has a good coder working on her, something that Pichu, Blood Falcon, and most other characters lack. I think Young Link will end up being good once that thread decides on an approach to take with him.

The biggest issues with making any of the clones legal is first, getting the clone engine to work. And since most of us have no idea how to code...We just have to hope this happens, lol.

The second issue is balancing them against 42+ characters (I think that's right...plus other possible clones). That in itself is a gigantic task, especially when we don't have the 42 already existing characters balanced enough yet. And playtesting and suggesting new stuff is the only way most of us will be able to help with this.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
I honestly think Dark Samus has the best chance, I think we all should be dedicated enough to make it happen! Yeah!

lol. Seriously though, I'd love for DS to be legal.
same here. I'm wondering if anyone will make a Baby Mario moveset, too.

leafbarrett

Smash Lord
The biggest issues with making any of the clones legal is first, getting the clone engine to work. And since most of us have no idea how to code...We just have to hope this happens, lol.
If this ever happens, I'd appreciate it if someone would give me the original uber-broken code for DS, just to have an epic duel between Samus and DS like the ones in the MP games. (Bosses are ALWAYS overpowered compared to the player. XD Therefore, a broken DS would fit perfectly.) Assuming, of course, that the overpowered code still exists.

br0wnthunder1

Smash Rookie
Dark Samus Without Brawl+

hey man i love this dark samus but i'd much rather use her in regular brawl instead of brawl+. i dont like how brawl+ tried to balance out the game bu making it basically like a melee version 2.0 with better graphics and more characters. is it possible to make your dark samus with the regular brawl gameplay (obviously except for dark samus) and texture hacking available?

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
hey man i love this dark samus but i'd much rather use her in regular brawl instead of brawl+. i dont like how brawl+ tried to balance out the game bu making it basically like a melee version 2.0 with better graphics and more characters. is it possible to make your dark samus with the regular brawl gameplay (obviously except for dark samus) and texture hacking available?
he said he wasn't going to release a vBrawl version.

colored blind

Smash Journeyman
Probably because vBrawl just isn't fun for most people to play. If you haven't tried B+, at least give it a chance. It's not Melee 2.0 (there's actually a project here that's called that). We don't use wavedashing, etc. It's just faster and more skillful.

But texture hacking is possible without modifying vBrawl mechanics. *shrug*

Jiang, you mentioned you were working on a few of her moves on the previous page. Does that mean you're working on her, even without the clone engine working?

Seikishidan Soru

Smash Journeyman
I've got a suggestion for the regular side B, not sure about the feasibilty but here it is anyway.
How about a missile feint, kinda like GunFlame Feint/Fake Hadoken, where DS goes through the beginning of the missile shot animation but then nothing comes out ? She could recover quickly from it and/or it could be cancellable (does any of the codes allow coders to give IASA frames to moves btw?).
I suppose such a move could help her in her setups by causing the opponent to react to it, provided that the animation is deceptive enough.

br0wnthunder1

Smash Rookie
i like brawl+ but i feel like it would be more fun to see how she plays in vbrawl. most of the brawl+ changes affect a lot of characters that my friends use and they dont like it. i didnt mean to insult brawl+ by referring it to melee 2.0. it was just a comparison

br0wnthunder1

Smash Rookie
i do have a suggestion for the missiles. the side smash should do 9% damage and have the same knockback. and the tilt side should be like wolfs blaster. a slight stun effect but electric. so you can stop people in their tracks as they try to reach the ledge and set them up for a meteor smash.

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
vBrawl is vanilla brawl.

Brawl+ is what supports the character, I don't know what to tell you. Convince your friends to play B+?

br0wnthunder1

Smash Rookie
vanilla? why vanilla? lol yea i understand what brawl+ does, i like it. but evryone knows that brawl isnt fun alone. they only play regular brawl, and they think there should be a way to play brawl with the dark samus. its a whole new way of playing with brawl+ and i am the only one who is willing to get used to it

colored blind

Smash Journeyman
...they think there should be a way to play brawl with the dark samus.
Well, unfortunately for them, the coder gets to do what he wants with respect to DS, so unless he decides so, there isn't going to be a vBrawl version of DS.

And it's vanilla because it's plain and basic. Nothing added to it.

br0wnthunder1

Smash Rookie
yea, sucks, theyre missin out, can you believe they wont play unless its the normal brawl? whatever lol, so u know of any good texture hack sites other than the links from the eliteamashhackers website? and for stages, what file do you save it under b/c none of mine are working, just the texture hacks

br0wnthunder1

Smash Rookie
where do i find that? (as you can see im new to this website and hacking, sorry for the million questions)

Jiangjunizzy

Smash Lord
I have no intention of porting Dark Samus to regular Brawl because i'm too lazy to spend hours going through the code removing all the Brawl+ stuff, someone else can do it though.

v stands for vanilla, meaning regular/original.

Jiang, you mentioned you were working on a few of her moves on the previous page. Does that mean you're working on her, even without the clone engine working?
I am tweaking some things around, yes. I'm going to wait til the clone engine is out to release a new build. I want to play around with the hitbox shift codes, the possiblity of adding super armor to a few things, among other stuff. I really want Dark Samus to feel completely different from regular samus.

I've got a suggestion for the regular side B, not sure about the feasibilty but here it is anyway.
How about a missile feint, kinda like GunFlame Feint/Fake Hadoken, where DS goes through the beginning of the missile shot animation but then nothing comes out ? She could recover quickly from it and/or it could be cancellable (does any of the codes allow coders to give IASA frames to moves btw?).
I suppose such a move could help her in her setups by causing the opponent to react to it, provided that the animation is deceptive enough.
that would be cool, and i think it would be possible, however I am not sure if that would fit within her character. shes a menacing boss kind of person, not sure if she would take the time to fake an attack. i know it sounds stupid, but a fake out is something a more cunning character would use. perhaps this could be done for someone else.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
I love this idea! She should be free to cancel this into any move! this would be a GREAT setup idea!

A MORE CUNNING CHARACTER?!

You've gotta be kidding me dude! DS IS CUNNING! lol

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
That is a horrible idea. You remove one of her best projectiles in order to...not fire it. This would not work once everyone knew about it, and at high levels of play would just be pointless. Your asking to make an attack a useless move.

Btw, gl w/ dark samus. More drastic changes would be awesome, so she isn't clone esque.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
No, it's not. We are talking about her HOMING missiles, not her Ice Missiles.

She would trick the enemy into thinking that she's firing, so they shield, for example. Easy grab setup.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
Some enemies will, but that was just one of a million possible setups.

And no, he was planning on taking her homing missiles out all together. So it's either this or nothing.

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
What are these million possible set-ups? I doubt you could even do ten, considering a good opponent will probably just hit you for doing this. Its the equivalent of taunting, an animation with no hitboxes. Might as well make cancelable taunts, I bet that sure would help.

How about increasing the missiles ability to track and home in better from odd angles, and cause it to go as slowly as it does right at the end of normal missiles, leading to traps of a sort. Slow missiles that they have to shield/dodge, but you will punish if they do.

br0wnthunder1

Smash Rookie
i just uploaded a bunch of new textures for a lot of characters and now some of the characters dont make noise for example, pikachu doesnt say anything, samus doesnt make her noises does anyone know whats going on?

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
This isn't the place to ask, kid.

And no, like a million different situations for this to be useful. There is, you can't argue that it wouldn't be useful.

Dark Samus + Slow Missiles = Nono. lol.

If anything, they should be faster, but have low damage.

These suggestions follow what he really intended her to be. Completely different from Samus, and her normal gameplay.

shinyspoon42

Smash Journeyman
Wait, you are saying that I can't argue that a move with no hitstun and no hitbox can't be useful? ITS FREAKING EMPTY LAG. The mindgames are minimal. People will learn of the move in short order, and then its just an empty animation.

He said that dark samus was also about traps, and slow flying projectiles that home excellently could be part of that. You could fire a bunch of the slow ones before they reach your opponent, setting up a wall between you, and keep spreading the wall while firing power shots and ice missiles through to add to the projectile game.

I'm not arguing that Dark Samus should be as original as possible.

Katy Parry

NNID
justysuxx
I partly agree, but if the animation is the same as the Smash Side B, and you kept the little "poof" effect, it could just add a bit to DS's play style.

I really hope you use this idea! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom