• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dark Samus Approaching: Extreme caution recommended.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
PM me the model and I'll try to get to it this weekend. I probably won't touch the actual model much, but I'll mess with the textures and shaders.

I can also record 1080p video on dolphin if you want some clips to show
Sending the model files ASAP. Once again, a big thanks. The only thing that needs work on the model is how the shoulder spheres are rigged, which Bagan already mentioned. I don't have any experience in this area though so it's probably a better job for someone else.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Looks a bit better, but i'd recommend using that SSB4 model instead. It has better textures. Either that or mess around with materials to get better results. Textures can look very different with different materials. Just compare this and this.
And its better to rig shoulderpads to shoulder/shoulderpad bones at some point. It looks awkward when arms move and go through shoulderpads while those stay in place. If not you, then at least someone else.
Here is a side by side comparison of the Dark Samus Corruption import and the Dark Samus SSB4 import. I think the right (SSB4) model is slightly bigger overall, but they are very very similar. Also note how badly placed the shoulder spheres are on the left (Corruption) model. Well, which one does everyone prefer???

Last edited:

ConDeeCas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ConDeeCas
Here is a side by side comparison of the Dark Samus Corruption import and the Dark Samus SSB4 import. I think the right (SSB4) model is slightly bigger overall, but they are very very similar. Also note how badly placed the shoulder spheres are on the left (Corruption) model. Well, which one does everyone prefer???

I definitely prefer the SSB4 one. It looks way slicker and, well, darker.

Cahalan

Smash Ace

I actually like seeing the detail in the corruption model, plus if you get clever with the shaders and stuff, it will look better than the smash 4 model. Plus using the Smash 4 model kind of goes against the PMDT's mentality of using Sm4sh characters, but that's just me. If you can't decide, include both in the final mod. One can be the default, and the other will be an alt. costume.

Edit: Wait, if the models are almost exactly the same, couldn't we just switch the textures? :V

Last edited:

ConDeeCas

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ConDeeCas
I actually like seeing the detail in the corruption model, plus if you get clever with the shaders and stuff, it will look better than the smash 4 model. Plus using the Smash 4 model kind of goes against the PMDT's mentality of using Sm4sh characters, but that's just me. If you can't decide, include both in the final mod. One can be the default, and the other will be an alt. costume.
You make a good point. I just think that the Corruption model is a little too bright for Dark Samus.

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

Something tells me they are same model with few tweaks like Ridley in SSB4. Anyway, i prefer SSB4 model because its colors don't look bleak and just...uninteresting like on the left. It isn't colorful either, but looks better.

Last edited:

KingOfTheHill

Smash Cadet

Use the corruption model but with smash 4's colors.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Thanks captain obvious but is there any dates?
Look, you're not being disrespectful or anything but the constant asking of when Dark Samus is going to be released is getting a little annoying. I appreciate the fact that you're anticipating playing as Samus' mutated doppleganger but remember that this is just a fan project started by one sole person (who is thankfully starting to get more assistance) who is not getting paid to work on it. I'm doing this solely as a tribute to the Metroid Prime series and my favorite scifi villain of all time.

If you've been paying attention to the thread, there are still a lot of things to be worked on. The Dark Samus models need polishing, specials need to be coded, and here aerials need some inspiration.Thankfully a number of people have stepped up and provided much needed assistance. @ drogoth232 drogoth232 @ Nanobuds Nanobuds @ Cahalan Cahalan

With that said, I started the project back in July 2014 and anticipated a November 2014 release date. But as a result of life in general and wanting Dark Samus to be as polished as possible there is no set release date. So in the meantime thanks for the support but Dark Samus will be released when she is fully ready to join Smash.

Just to give an example of the length of time creating a move takes, let's look at Side B, the Phazon Scattershot.

If you pay attention to detail, you can see that there are quite a number of graphical effects happening during the move; the electricity, the blue aura at the tip of the cannon, and the particles of "Phazon" that are being pelted at Mewtwo.

Finding the perfect graphic effects and positioning + editing them to look just right took FOREVER. Hell, just discovering how to edit graphics and import them from one character to another took me ages to figure out. So the process is not as simple as copy and pasting from one character to another, the type of moveset modding that is happening with Dark Samus is happening from scratch, so to speak.

And then there is the animating part of the moves, which also can potentially take a very long time. The gif is the official animation created by Nintendo for Smash 4. It looks polished and very Dark Samus-esque, at least in my opinion. So in order to replicate it, I had to take the time to animate a new animation frame by frame. Anyone who has taken a stab at creating a new animation themselves knows how frustrating the process can be.

Then there is creating hitboxes that coincide with the graphical effects and character animation. It can be challenging to create hitboxes and collisions that "make sense" and are balanced simultaneously.

So creating a move actually involves multiple steps that all depend on one another!!!

1.) Graphical effects

2.) Character Animation

3.) Hitboxes and Collision Data

But there is even more to it!!! Specials require even more complex coding than standard i.e. A moves and can be quite confusing to figure out how to get exactly how you want them. That's why each character has Specials that are unique from each other- specials can also define a characters playstyle. For example, look at how Project M's Zelda's Side B functions. It is unlike any other projectile in the game and is a fairly balanced, polished move. So much props to the Project M coders.

So with Dark Samus' Side B, I've yet to come across coding to implement onto the move to really flourish it out. To get it looking and functioning how it does now already took a lot of time, but until I get a collaborator to help code it, it will take even more time yet.

Hopefully this write up sheds some light as to why development takes time.

Last edited:

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
So, if I may ask... if Side B is the scattershot, what is the plan for her neutral b? I have tons of ideas in mind for all of her moves but I don't want you to scrap any work you've already done you don't want or need to.

Last edited:

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
So, if I may ask... if Side B is the scattershot, what is the plan for her neutral b? I have tons of ideas in mind for all of her moves but I don't want you to scrap any work you've already done you don't want or need to.
Neutral B will be a projectile. Since Dark Samus is going over Pit I will have to play around with his arrows to get something that will suit her. I also want there to be an alternate fire function similar to how Bagan's Ridley works (B for Fireball and B+A for Flamethrower).

I have the graphics and animations all figured out, it just needs to be coded.

I was also considering coming up with something totally different for neutral B but at this point that would take more time to brainstorm, animate, and come up with fitting graphics. But if you had any ideas, I'm all ears. At least let your opinions be heard!

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
I'm wondering if Dark Samus has a tether, like Samus' grapple beam of sorts. Only now it's a phazon tendril, since you know... Dark Samus is actually made up of the stuff.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
I'm wondering if Dark Samus has a tether, like Samus' grapple beam of sorts. Only now it's a phazon tendril, since you know... Dark Samus is actually made up of the stuff.
Nope. And a Phazon tendril graphic would be cool but like I mentioned, it's extremely difficult as it is to get the right effects for her existing moves. Unless, you can think of a boss or SSE enemy that has something that looks similar chances are it won't happen.

Plus I don't think you can give a tether to a character that doesn't already have it hardcoded onto them.

Last edited:

Cahalan

Smash Ace
Nope. And a Phazon tendril graphic would be cool but like I mentioned, it's extremely difficult as it is to get the right effects for her existing moves. Unless, you can think of a boss or SSE enemy that has something that looks similar chances are it won't happen.

Plus I don't think you can give a tether to a character that doesn't already have it hardcoded onto them.
Well shucks, I can see why it would be difficult because not many custom PSA's have tethers... and those that do replace characters that already have them (I'll be surprised if I'm proven wrong). By the way, how are Dark Samus' aerials coming along?

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Well shucks, I can see why it would be difficult because not many custom PSA's have tethers... and those that do replace characters that already have them (I'll be surprised if I'm proven wrong). By the way, how are Dark Samus' aerials coming along?
The aerials are by far the most difficult part of the project so far. I can't come to a definite conclusion about Back and down aerials... so frustrating!!! But I just came up with a forward air and up air is pretty set in stone.

Speaking of aerials, I'm actually working on the graphics of Dark Samus' N-air....

Would anyone know how to go about making this graphic effect? Watch the video:

https://youtu.be/NCCo38wR1B4?list=PL3VkBnxBZVbmNW5HOxT-bdL9VyVv69aPs&t=332

I have the actual Phazon texture in the game and I've been toying around with various sphere models in Brawl already (Ness's Down B, The Smash Ball item, Lucario's Aura Sphere, etc) but haven't been able to recreate that graphic effect. I know I should probably be using a transparent texture so you can see Dark Samus through the sphere..

Last edited:

drogoth232

Smash Lord
can you send me the texture file, want to see how it looks

or just upload it here

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
You could maybe try porting the gfx of Samus's up B, but without the tumbling animation.

Dair could use a similar effect, but hurling downwards into the ground.

Bair can be like maybe a backhand slam with the cannon.

Maybe do something similar for fair like what PM did for Ice Beam Samus's fair.

Uair I have no clue, maybe just a small little explosion pointed upwards.

Last edited:

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
You could maybe try porting the gfx of Samus's up B, but without the tumbling animation.

Dair could use a similar effect, but hurling downwards into the ground.

Bair can be like maybe a backhand slam with the cannon.

Maybe do something similar for fair like what PM did for Ice Beam Samus's fair.

Uair I have no clue, maybe just a small little explosion pointed upwards.
Nah.... that Samus graphic wouldn't work at all.

The aerials are just WIP's for now.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Finally coded a Special move that is fully functional:

Side B- Phazon Scattershot

Current Pose:

Old Pose:

SSB4:

This is only to loop like Bowser's/Charizard's Special N. The SSB4 Dark Samus assist trophy does the shooting for a set amount of time (approximately 2 seconds) but I wanted it to be more unique/functional. Also note the animation being more similar to the SSB4 animation.

I will tackle a charging aspect possibility after I work on other areas of the project.

Last edited:

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Good, ole' reliable drogoth. The #1 contributor towards Dark Samus.
You have also been extremely helpful and yeah I do remember you PM'ing me about porting. The thing is, this is the point in the project where outside help is needed for Dark Samus to move forward. I don't have as much time as I did early on and quite frankly I just don't feel like doing it all myself.

Could you give a rough estimate of how long it would take to port from Marth to Lucario though? Also I was thinking Lucas might be a good bet since he also has a bunch of projectiles and it would save Mewtwo for a lot of people.

This brings up the discussion of what character would be ideal to port to. People gotta realize that each character has different file size limits and taking Dark Samus over Marth (Marth's moveset/pac file has a limit around 500 kb) and putting it over someone else could mean a serious downgrade in terms of graphics... Which is what I spent a huge chunk of time on!!!

So hopefully this sheds light onto why the process is taking me forever, coupled with the fact that like someone just said, I don't have as much time as I used to put into the project.
CREDIT IS GIVEN WHERE CREDIT IS DUE.
COME AROUND AGAIN AND YOU'LL GET IT TOO.

Let me take this opportunity to recognize the contributors to Dark Samus thus far:

DarkSamusLives- Project Creator, Hitboxes, Animations and Graphics

Drogoth232- Coding and porting advice, contributed tentacle model for Down Smash attack.

Carnage- Coded Side Special Ground and Air versions, fixed unspeakable game breaking glitch

BaganSmashBros- Made Corruption and Smash 4 Dark Samus models usable.

Cahalan- Created various icons and Dark Samus name to be used Selection and Battle Screens
@ drogoth232 drogoth232

Last edited:

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
Well if the moveset has P:M balance in mind, the nair would probably best be a single lingering hitbox that has a sweetspot at startup and then flubs for the rest of the animation. Not a kick because that'd look awkward as hell. Best bet is probably to do the glowing phazon orb thing, yeah.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
are you still trying to figure out uair and dair? because you might be able to do something with something like Pit's uair animation + Phazon tendrils. no idea about dair though

SadBoys

Smash Rookie
Look, you're not being disrespectful or anything but the constant asking of when Dark Samus is going to be released is getting a little annoying. I appreciate the fact that you're anticipating playing as Samus' mutated doppleganger but remember that this is just a fan project started by one sole person (who is thankfully starting to get more assistance) who is not getting paid to work on it. I'm doing this solely as a tribute to the Metroid Prime series and my favorite scifi villain of all time.

If you've been paying attention to the thread, there are still a lot of things to be worked on. The Dark Samus models need polishing, specials need to be coded, and here aerials need some inspiration.Thankfully a number of people have stepped up and provided much needed assistance. @ drogoth232 drogoth232 @ Nanobuds Nanobuds @ Cahalan Cahalan

With that said, I started the project back in July 2014 and anticipated a November 2014 release date. But as a result of life in general and wanting Dark Samus to be as polished as possible there is no set release date. So in the meantime thanks for the support but Dark Samus will be released when she is fully ready to join Smash.

Just to give an example of the length of time creating a move takes, let's look at Side B, the Phazon Scattershot.

If you pay attention to detail, you can see that there are quite a number of graphical effects happening during the move; the electricity, the blue aura at the tip of the cannon, and the particles of "Phazon" that are being pelted at Mewtwo.

Finding the perfect graphic effects and positioning + editing them to look just right took FOREVER. Hell, just discovering how to edit graphics and import them from one character to another took me ages to figure out. So the process is not as simple as copy and pasting from one character to another, the type of moveset modding that is happening with Dark Samus is happening from scratch, so to speak.

And then there is the animating part of the moves, which also can potentially take a very long time. The gif is the official animation created by Nintendo for Smash 4. It looks polished and very Dark Samus-esque, at least in my opinion. So in order to replicate it, I had to take the time to animate a new animation frame by frame. Anyone who has taken a stab at creating a new animation themselves knows how frustrating the process can be.

Then there is creating hitboxes that coincide with the graphical effects and character animation. It can be challenging to create hitboxes and collisions that "make sense" and are balanced simultaneously.

So creating a move actually involves multiple steps that all depend on one another!!!

1.) Graphical effects

2.) Character Animation

3.) Hitboxes and Collision Data

But there is even more to it!!! Specials require even more complex coding than standard i.e. A moves and can be quite confusing to figure out how to get exactly how you want them. That's why each character has Specials that are unique from each other- specials can also define a characters playstyle. For example, look at how Project M's Zelda's Side B functions. It is unlike any other projectile in the game and is a fairly balanced, polished move. So much props to the Project M coders.

So with Dark Samus' Side B, I've yet to come across coding to implement onto the move to really flourish it out. To get it looking and functioning how it does now already took a lot of time, but until I get a collaborator to help code it, it will take even more time yet.

Hopefully this write up sheds some light as to why development takes time.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didnt mean to disrespect you, its just that ive been checking this page all the time and was wondering if there was a release date
i love the idea and work, Metroid is my favorite franchise and it deserves these kind of stuff for not having a game for a pretty long time.

Continue on your work, and i hope to the best, have you tried contacting the Project M team if they are willing to help or Add it to the main client?

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I didnt mean to disrespect you, its just that ive been checking this page all the time and was wondering if there was a release date
i love the idea and work, Metroid is my favorite franchise and it deserves these kind of stuff for not having a game for a pretty long time.

Continue on your work, and i hope to the best, have you tried contacting the Project M team if they are willing to help or Add it to the main client?
Ah alright then, no worries.

Work will continue until it's done. And yes, a member of the Project M development team has reached out to help with the aesthetics of the model so that's a start to getting some official collaborations going.

SadBoys

Smash Rookie

i prefer the corruption model

Top Bottom