• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dark Samus Approaching: Extreme caution recommended.

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Thanks for the suggestion. I was just working on the animation so I'll keep the torso movement in mind.

And it's ironic you mention make it flashier... I am actually making the decision to tone down some of the graphical effects - they are getting distracting. Plus, Up throw, forward throw and back throw (and the pummels) are filled with particle effects so I want at least the focus of down throw to just be the curb stomp.
Oh. Well, makes sense and its a good idea. Will be less like teh cool PSA and more like actual character if GFX will be toned down.

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
It has been possible for quite a while (I think) due to ds22's stream on how to add clones, but it takes a lot of time and patience. Even so, I'd bet that they were actually referring to a BrawlEX slot, because no one that I've seen has actually bothered to do it ds22's way...
This captures my feelings regarding the clone engine so well that it hurts lol. Using the clone engine is an extraordinarily laborious process (for people unfamiliar with gecko codetypes) that contains so many moving parts. I don't want to discourage anyone from trying to learn, but it's next to impossible without a good amount of dedication. I've been thinking about this quite a bit lately, and I'm now quite reluctant to release a codeset with additions to the clone engine, since anyone could do a diff check and determine what I've added. I don't want to be the person who pisses off the PMDT by releasing their Super Special Secret™. I wasn't the first person to figure this process out, and I owe so much to the pioneers who paved the way for me.

FYI, I currently cannot add more than two characters, since any character over that limit will immediately die when thrown lol. I'll fix that soon though.
Yeah, it would be better to be able to keep them both rather than having to choose only one of them. But i know someone who can fix this - PyotrLuzhin. He made few perfect ports for my Ridley, so, maybe he can do same for DS. Characters like Zelda, Charizard and Samus can't be replaced though.
Actually, I think that I can port anyone now, even transforming chars ;) I've been playing around with some new methods.
Wait, so it's not over pit or anything? (using PM's clone engine)
It does seem like he gained access to the clone engine. My guess is that he talked to someone who had the codeset from a while back, which has since been removed afaik.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
So do you have the means to release a build with clone characters without revealing your changes to the codeset? Maybe there's a way to disguise it as the PMDT has. We would love to use multiple characters without porting (particularly because that leaves room for even more characters WITH porting).

Cahalan

Smash Ace
So do you have the means to release a build with clone characters without revealing your changes to the codeset? Maybe there's a way to disguise it as the PMDT has. We would love to use multiple characters without porting (particularly because that leaves room for even more characters WITH porting).
Wait, what if some one released a build with the Alloy Slots as characters (using the PM Clone Engine of Awesome Secrets and Stuff)? Then with your choice character PSA's you can port them over the alloys.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
This captures my feelings regarding the clone engine so well that it hurts lol. Using the clone engine is an extraordinarily laborious process (for people unfamiliar with gecko codetypes) that contains so many moving parts. I don't want to discourage anyone from trying to learn, but it's next to impossible without a good amount of dedication. I've been thinking about this quite a bit lately, and I'm now quite reluctant to release a codeset with additions to the clone engine, since anyone could do a diff check and determine what I've added. I don't want to be the person who pisses off the PMDT by releasing their Super Special Secret™. I wasn't the first person to figure this process out, and I owe so much to the pioneers who paved the way for me.

FYI, I currently cannot add more than two characters, since any character over that limit will immediately die when thrown lol. I'll fix that soon though.

Actually, I think that I can port anyone now, even transforming chars ;) I've been playing around with some new methods.

It does seem like he gained access to the clone engine. My guess is that he talked to someone who had the codeset from a while back, which has since been removed afaik.
This is very promising information.

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
But I thought the alloys couldn't be ported to... @ PyotrLuzhin PyotrLuzhin ?
They can, but they're not really fully functional characters. You can use their slots, but weird glitches often occur. You could (theoretically) force the game to load four more characters, but I'd need a way to rebuild modules that doesn't take weeks to do this lol.

I'm working on it as we speak, but the best delivery method would, in my opinion, be a pre-built iso. Only someone very determined and proficient with debugging tools could figure out what has been altered in the codeset. Those, however, involve serious shadiness, and I'd hate to include the PMDT's work in anything warezy. They're doing their best to stay in that lovely gray area right now.

The other option I've considered is a complete reorganization of the codeset that would make the process of diffchecking VERY annoying. I might ultimately go with that.
This is very promising information.
Oh, yeah :) At the moment, you could port a transformer, but the transforming char in question won't be able to transform. It just expands the general PSA palette at your fingertips. I still stand by my Pit suggestion for Dark Samus, since I can confirm that my module doesn't break anything in PM. For any other base, I'd have to code a "made-to-order" module, which may not work as nicely.

Additionally, porting will be limited to one character if it's a transformer, instead of over anyone in the cast.

Wait, what if some one released a build with the Alloy Slots as characters (using the PM Clone Engine of Awesome Secrets and Stuff)? Then with your choice character PSA's you can port them over the alloys.
Hmm... Good thinking! I'll take a look at that right now!

Last edited:

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
They can, but they're not really fully functional characters. You can use their slots, but weird glitches often occur. You could (theoretically) force the game to load four more characters, but I'd need a way to rebuild modules that doesn't take weeks to do this lol..

The other option I've considered is a complete reorganization of the codeset that would make the process of diffchecking VERY annoying. I might ultimately go with that.
Sounds awesome! There's always some other wizards around here or KCMM, so if it's possible at all, there's probably a much more efficient way to do it if people work together to figure it out.

I think that's the best method. ISOs are definitely more shady than it's worth, and just changing the codeset around would make it such that people can use it in hackless builds easily.

PyotrLuzhin

Smash Journeyman
Sounds awesome! There's always some other wizards around here or KCMM, so if it's possible at all, there's probably a much more efficient way to do it if people work together to figure it out.

I think that's the best method. ISOs are definitely more shady than it's worth, and just changing the codeset around would make it such that people can use it in hackless builds easily.
At the risk of going too far off topic (lol), I'm working on a far more efficient manner of dealing with .rels with a friend of mine that will address the issues I've outlined.

I agree with the iso issue. I want to keep the hackless users in mind, but I also don't want to step on anyone's toes. There might be a more elegant solution somewhere...

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
At the risk of going too far off topic (lol), I'm working on a far more efficient manner of dealing with .rels with a friend of mine that will address the issues I've outlined.

I agree with the iso issue. I want to keep the hackless users in mind, but I also don't want to step on anyone's toes. There might be a more elegant solution somewhere...
So I'm at the point where I think I can begin the porting process. The moveset is mainly complete, except for polishing some animations and coding the specials.

PyotrLuzhin, do you think it's a good idea to begin transferring Dark Samus's code onto a fresh FitPit.pac file at this point?

drogoth232

Smash Lord
Idk why you need yo ask someone if its a good time. PSA porting should be decided by whenever the coder thinks they want to.

You could code the whole moveset for marth and then randomly decide to port over pit if you wanted to. It'd just take a bit longer, but that's it.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Idk why you need yo ask someone if its a good time. PSA porting should be decided by whenever the coder thinks they want to.

You could code the whole moveset for marth and then randomly decide to port over pit if you wanted to. It'd just take a bit longer, but that's it.
No need for the attitude Droggy.

I'm asking because I have absolutely no experience with Porting. I don't want to invest time into the process only to find out that there is a better alternative to using Pit or that I'm doing something wrong. Unless you can provide some helpful/constructive input, you can probably be more useful rigging and/or optimizing that Dark Samus model. ;)

Last edited:

drogoth232

Smash Lord
No need for the attitude Droggy.

I'm asking because I have absolutely no experience with Porting. I don't want to invest time into the process only to find out that there is a better alternative to using Pit or that I'm doing something wrong. Unless you can provide some helpful/constructive input, you can probably be more useful rigging and/or optimizing that Dark Samus model. ;)
Idk where you're finding attitude, it's the truth. PSA porting doesn't require anyone else other than a PSAer that knows what they're doing. You aren't Rel porting. There's a huge difference.

The best options for porting are either Link or Pit. Mostly because of their projectiles, file size, defensive collisions, special grab (thanks to Link), glide (thanks to Pit), and huge fs gfx (thanks to Pit, but in this day and age it doesn't really matter). You could try Snake as an alternative because of all his projectiles, but that's all he has, nothing else. You won't know you're doing anything wrong until you actually start the process and test the file. That's the beauty of coding in general.

My helpful/constructive input would be to actually start the porting process. The first port is always the longest, but the time required decreases each time you do it.

And I do things on my own time and with my own priority list.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Idk where you're finding attitude, it's the truth. PSA porting doesn't require anyone else other than a PSAer that knows what they're doing. You aren't Rel porting. There's a huge difference.

The best options for porting are either Link or Pit. Mostly because of their projectiles, file size, defensive collisions, special grab (thanks to Link), glide (thanks to Pit), and huge fs gfx (thanks to Pit, but in this day and age it doesn't really matter). You could try Snake as an alternative because of all his projectiles, but that's all he has, nothing else. You won't know you're doing anything wrong until you actually start the process and test the file. That's the beauty of coding in general.

My helpful/constructive input would be to actually start the porting process. The first port is always the longest, but the time required decreases each time you do it.

And I do things on my own time and with my own priority list.
Ahhhh ok. My misunderstanding, my apologies.

So with that said, I guess it will be Pit then. I was just hesitant because of all the other PSAs using Pit as a base but I guess he's the best bet.

Off to Porting Town I go.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Anyone know if there is an efficient, quick way to replace Pit's animations with Marth's (Dark Samus')? Or do I have to export every single one of Marth's and replace all of Pit's?

Aye.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
If you port properly, you can just use Marth's Motionetc, just rename it to FitPitMotionEtc or whatever. You'd just have to play around with the FitPit.pac to make sure that animations that no longer exist aren't called for.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
If you port properly, you can just use Marth's Motionetc, just rename it to FitPitMotionEtc or whatever. You'd just have to play around with the FitPit.pac to make sure that animations that no longer exist aren't called for.
Oh nice. That's easy enough.

Would you know anything about how Pit's Jump animations/moves work with characters with only two jumps?

It seems like Pit has 3 Jump Aerials (second jump(s)) whereas most characters only have one... would this be problematic in terms of porting the Dark Samus moveset (which has one Jump aerial) and animations? I won't be able to test in game until next week as I'm away from my Wii at the moment but was wondering if I could get a heads up beforehand.

Last edited:

drogoth232

Smash Lord
I'll talk to KJP about it. I think he did something for Waluigi to fix that depending on controller input

Dreadnaught

Smash Rookie
cool mod man dark samus is my favorite metroid character.
im really looking forward to this mod....oh and btw could you give me an estimate as to when this mod would be finished?

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
cool mod man dark samus is my favorite metroid character.
im really looking forward to this mod....oh and btw could you give me an estimate as to when this mod would be finished?
Thanks. Dark Samus is quite the badass and deserves a full moveset.

As of now most of the moveset is complete except for specials and polishing up the throws. Hopefully it gets finished within a month from now.

Here is an album of some various pics of the project up to this point...hopefully tides people over until a video

Last edited:

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
I am still really looking forward to this. unfortunately my Wii stopped reading SD cards so I will not be able to test it much. but yeah, like what I have seen for your moveset so far, Dark Samus might be a "clone " of Samus in the strict sense of the word but fights nothing like her

too bad it wasn't considered more seriously in the voting for the clone engine characters

Dreadnaught

Smash Rookie
Thanks. Dark Samus is quite the badass and deserves a full moveset.

As of now most of the moveset is complete except for specials and polishing up the throws. Hopefully it gets finished within a month from now.

Here is an album of some various pics of the project up to this point...hopefully tides people over until a video
hey thanks man and btw i actually have a question for you ummm will this come with the MP2 skin for dark samus?

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman

I cannot wait to update my cosmetics for Dark Samus!!!!
I hate to burst your Phazon bubble

but it will be some time before the Dark Samus models are optimized, the hurtboxes fixed, and moveset absolutely, positively 100% polished and completed.

But here's a small update, I'm giving a go at trying to turn this

to this

so far this is what I accomplished.

It's a start.

Last edited:

HypnotizeOverdrive

Smash Ace
NNID
HypnoOverdrive
Might I suggest releasing some sort of beta? That is if your work is far enough along to actually supply something playable. It'd likely help whet people's appetites until you finish DS fully.

Also, how about using the model from Smash 4? I dunno if that was discussed already but it would probably look better.

Both are absolutely up to you, of course.

Cahalan

Smash Ace
I hate to burst your Phazon bubble

but it will be some time before the Dark Samus models are optimized, the hurtboxes fixed, and moveset absolutely, positively 100% polished and completed.

But here's a small update, I'm giving a go at trying to turn this

to this

so far this is what I accomplished.

It's a start.
I understand. But wouldn't using a Gloss Shader ala Brawl Samus help achieve that "glossy" effect? Some Smash 3 Rimlight might help too, you can even color it to give Dark Samus a "phazon aura" so-to-speak. Also maybe attempt to make the vains of phazon glow if you can.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Might I suggest releasing some sort of beta? That is if your work is far enough along to actually supply something playable. It'd likely help whet people's appetites until you finish DS fully.

Also, how about using the model from Smash 4? I dunno if that was discussed already but it would probably look better.

Both are absolutely up to you, of course.
I don't mean to sound like an ass, but I'm mainly doing this as a homage to the Prime series and the awesomeness that Phazon was... and I don't want to put anything out there that isn't up to my high standards. There are so many pitiful mods out there and I don't want Dark Samus being associated with mediocrity.

But what is LONG overdue and I apologize for taking a long time to do it is to release a preview video of the latest Dark Samus build. I've asked several times for advice and researched online for what equipment to buy to record high quality footage but haven't gotten a definitive answer yet.

I'm running Project M via Homebrew on a NTSC Wii and have the system hooked up to a TV via component cables.

Some of the options that looked viable were out of my price range (over 50$, I'm cheap) so the only other alternative is to record with my Ipad, which will give a video that won't look or sound as good as I'd want.

Last edited:

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
I understand. But wouldn't using a Gloss Shader ala Brawl Samus help achieve that "glossy" effect? Some Smash 3 Rimlight might help too, you can even color it to give Dark Samus a "phazon aura" so-to-speak. Also maybe attempt to make the vains of phazon glow if you can.
To achieve a glow aura effect, I used Brawl Pit's Up B graphic and recolored it.

But I'll look into what you recommended to see if it looks better.

Last edited:

Nanobuds

Smash Ace
That would be awesome. If your work on the Light and Fusion suits for Project M are any indication of your modeling skills, this will be huge help for the project.
PM me the model and I'll try to get to it this weekend. I probably won't touch the actual model much, but I'll mess with the textures and shaders.

I can also record 1080p video on dolphin if you want some clips to show

Last edited:

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero

It's a start.
Looks a bit better, but i'd recommend using that SSB4 model instead. It has better textures. Either that or mess around with materials to get better results. Textures can look very different with different materials. Just compare this and this.
And its better to rig shoulderpads to shoulder/shoulderpad bones at some point. It looks awkward when arms move and go through shoulderpads while those stay in place. If not you, then at least someone else.

Last edited:

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
I don't mean to sound like an ***, but I'm mainly doing this as a homage to the Prime series and the awesomeness that Phazon was... and I don't want to put anything out there that isn't up to my high standards. There are so many pitiful mods out there and I don't want Dark Samus being associated with mediocrity.

But what is LONG overdue and I apologize for taking a long time to do it is to release a preview video of the latest Dark Samus build. I've asked several times for advice and researched online for what equipment to buy to record high quality footage but haven't gotten a definitive answer yet.

I'm running Project M via Homebrew on a NTSC Wii and have the system hooked up to a TV via component cables.

Some of the options that looked viable were out of my price range (over 50$, I'm cheap) so the only other alternative is to record with my Ipad, which will give a video that won't look or sound as good as I'd want.
I had used a Dazzle recorder until my laptop died (and I have not yet gotten a replacement)

these are pretty cheap, and the software for recording it should come with it

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001CBXEDG/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

I used mine and a Pinnacle 14 editing system to make this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXa1fX3LLVc

But the Pinnacle was fairly pricey (As in over $50 iirc) even though it was an average editing system. for that you might be better off using Windows movie maker? if you don't find the WMM to be up to snuff...

you might have to drop the dough and purchase at least a Pinnacle. it's interface as of version 14 was simple to use once you figured it out, so unless they have completely changed it it's probably the best way to go without going into the high grade professional editing software (Which can be $200+)

as for the component cables? I'm assuming that you don't mean the standard Wii cables, so you can probably get adapter cables for fairly cheap at Best Buy (Or some local electronics dealer in your area).

if I am misunderstanding and you are using the standard Wii cables, you can plug them directly into the Dazzle linked above and record into your computer/laptop that way, although the screen that the software gives you will be in eensy-weensy-eye-straino mode, and you will likely not be able to do anything fancy with the lag.

unless your Wii is Homebrewed with fixed replays?

Last edited:

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
I would definitely try to replicate the colors and shading of the MP2 or Smash Wii U model instead of using whatever MP3 gives you out of the box. Don't give the textures or spec maps a blue tint, it's the lighting of Phaaze that's making her look light blue.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
^^ that skin is gorgeous! and you're correct, DS is only light blue in the final battle on Dark Aether and on Phaaze unless I am misremembering something from 3. in Echoes it was because she/it was in Phazon overload. God Echoes is a good game, gotta replay that sometime

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
Oh yeah and you should totally steal the spec map and shader from the MP2 DS trophy, looks really sick in-game. And I guess you could give the spec map a bit of blue, but not too much.

This is what I did on my Smash 3 Brawl Samus Dark Samus recolor, for example.

Reflective texture

Helmet, legs, visor, etc:

Spec map:

And the whole thing ends up up like this (though it's a bit less bright when actually used in-game)

Last edited:

Dreadnaught

Smash Rookie
umm guys I installed a new character in my project m and it just freezes mid game. anyone know how to fix this? (i dont mean to use this as a help forum but i PMed the creator of the mod but he never messaged me back.) thanks in advance and i apologise for appearing to use this as a help forum.

Top Bottom