• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dark Samus Approaching: Extreme caution recommended.

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
I know it's still rough, but do you have footage of the animations in game?

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
I know it's still rough, but do you have footage of the animations in game?
I can probably get a video of the ledge and damage animations cause that's what I've been working on lately. Not the most exciting part of the project but the animations need to be done in order to differentiate her further from Samus + transitions look way smoother.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
I know you're not even thinking about this, but I have thought of a good victory screen. in prime 2 in torvus bog, there is a scene where Dark Samus rematerializes, laughs a creepy laugh, then shatters into particles under its own volition.

from the laugh on, I think that this would be a great victory screen

I would link a video but I'm at work haha

GFooChombey

Smash Ace
NNID
GFooChombey
I can probably get a video of the ledge and damage animations cause that's what I've been working on lately. Not the most exciting part of the project but the animations need to be done in order to differentiate her further from Samus + transitions look way smoother.
Cool man. Are you working on this entirely alone?

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
I know you're not even thinking about this, but I have thought of a good victory screen. in prime 2 in torvus bog, there is a scene where Dark Samus rematerializes, laughs a creepy laugh, then shatters into particles under its own volition.

from the laugh on, I think that this would be a great victory screen

I would link a video but I'm at work haha
Lol actually I've watched MP2 cutscenes multiple times to take cues for her taunts, entry, victory screen poses, etc. I was able to import her laugh and it's over a taunt. It's pretty badass I have to say.

The materializing part of the cutscene, when the blue particles converge and Dark Samus emerges... That's her entry pose. I was able to find some graphic effects similar to the cutscene, just gotta work on sound effects and her animation a bit. Thanks for the tips though.

Cool man. Are you working on this entirely alone?
For the most part yep. I'm doing animations, graphics, sound effects and hitboxes. Though I'm getting some help from users on Brawlvault to implement some more complicated coding such as having two versions of the Up Smash, making her have a blue aura glow after using a taunt (like what she does in the second phase of the first fight in Echoes.)l and hopefully implementing her boost ball as a crawl attack.

So it's taking me a while, especially since I'm pretty burnt out on the project at the moment. But I am working on this more consistently now and focusing on ledge, dodge, jump, grab, and damage animations. At first I wasn't gonna take it to this extreme but I really want smooth transitions between movements... But this is taking a really long time!

Here's some of the progress on animations I've made over the last week if anyone's interested:

*Cliff= Ledge

-cliff, wait animation.
-cliff, escape
-cliff escape, far
-jump F
-jump b
-Guard On, off
-Escape Air
-cliff jumps
-getting up from a downed position (transition between laying down and the Wait stance)

I still need to do all of the damage animations which is going to take probably all of next week ughhh but once it's done I can move to her forward smash and neutral b. Once those are done I can finally get to sound effects and she should be about 85%'ish complete.

I wanted to have her done by Thanksgiving so I could use her against my brother but the combo of playing too much PS3 and being burnt out has slowed down progress... but definitely want this done by the second week of December.

Last edited:

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
*anyone know of any Homebrew Apps or realllllly cheap USB capture cards so I can record what's done so far?

Last edited:

El Fonz0

Smash Apprentice
I found this cheap capture card called the Sabrent, I believe. However, it seems to be very short and using it will not allow you to look at the screen while capturing it, as it looks like you're putting the wiis component cables directly into it.

A few questions(because I love DS and I want to know more): What character is DS going over? Do you have her alts and final smash figured out? Would you be okay with playtesters? What do you plan to be DS's play style?

zigheart

Smash Apprentice
well i was following your thread on KC MM but since thats down.... btw if you need a free capture tool try this. the free "trial" version only lets you record 10 minutes of footage. but... since thats all youtube allows you to upload anyway i'm sure it will be fine. it also records sound. its really easy to use. i'd recommend it if you can get dolphin running on your comp.

edit: lame i can't link till i get 10 posts xD
just type in bandicam(dot)com

*also if dolphin i too slow try running it with special melee/fast brawl just adjust the frame limit till it's a comfortable speed if needed.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
I found this cheap capture card called the Sabrent, I believe. However, it seems to be very short and using it will not allow you to look at the screen while capturing it, as it looks like you're putting the wiis component cables directly into it.

A few questions(because I love DS and I want to know more): What character is DS going over? Do you have her alts and final smash figured out? Would you be okay with playtesters? What do you plan to be DS's play style?
Thanks for the tip.

-DS goes over Marth. His huge file space allows more room for graphical tweaks.
-No, I haven't thought about alts, and the final smash is low priority atm. She's definitely gonna have a red and black recolor though. Crony was working on importing her skeletal form from Echoes but he's disappeared atm.
-once I finish the remaining three moves I want people testing her. But right now atm, i had someone do some less than stellar coding and her neutral special and up special are messed up... Gonna take some time to sort them out.

Once they're fixed I need to enhance the graphics of back air and create a new forward smash. After these things are done Her moveset is pretty much done... Still need to make a new back throw and cliff attacks but I can do those for a later version, I really wanna start on her neutral special soon.

-to be honest, i don't have a plan for her playstyle. i want her to fall faster than Samus for sure and run faster with higher jumps. Her specials cover pretty much all ranges and she has a reflect attack. So far the only move I think that's a bit broken is her down air (phazon meteor) but that should be an easy fix.

For y'all that have been following this tread, just wanna ask a few questions...

Do you think using preexisting animations for her forward smash and forward air are "lazy". To be honest, I'm having a creative block when trying to think of a cool forwArd smash. I was thinking about something along the lines of Wolf's where her entire character moves slightly forward. I would probably either tweak the animation or use an entirely new one and put some cool blue Phazon-esque graphics.

Also, I'm very indecisive about whether I should make a really flashy, badass looking move or go with something more tame to fit along the rest of the cast. For example, forward Smash could either be

A.) Dark Samus creates a gigantic phazon beam that travels across the screen and leaves pools of phazon everywhere! Or....

B.) Dark Samus does a simple punch with her cannon.

Decisions decisions...

Last edited:

Willsaber

Smash Cadet
Taking premade animations isn't, in my opinion, lazy in the slightest.

Last edited:

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Hey, if you need any idea you can take them from the moveset i made, if you feel like it of course.
Link?

Taking premade animations isn't, in my opinion, lazy in the slightest.
well for the most part her animations are heavily edited preexisting ones. The main concern is an animation being obviously copy and pasted. for example, Ganondorf's forward air in project M looks awesome and I'm using it atm. I tweaked the legs, head and chest a bit to make it seem more "dark samus" but I feel like I'm stealing lol.

I dont want someone looking at a move and being like, "oh they just copied Mewtwo". between keyframe and bone tweaking and new particle effects hopefully this doesn't happen. And i don't have the skills to conjure a totally unique animation though so this needs to be done. Am I wrong in feeling guilty?

El Fonz0

Smash Apprentice
The link is in his signature.

Good to know DS goes over Marth. None of my friends use him. They either use Roy or Ike, so I don't think we'll miss him.

For alts, I would say half are Echoes DS, and half are Corruption DS. Each has red, blue(default), and green. Echoes could have Samus color to go with Samus's DS color, and maybe a Phazon Suit style costume. Corruption could have a Light Suit color, since it looks a lot like the Light Suit, and maybe a PED/Hazard Shield color(purple pauldrons, silver middle part of body)

For Final Smash, I'm not sure if this is how it works, but my understanding is that if a character goes over another, their final smashes have to be the "same." An example is Mewtwo and Lucario. Even though they share almost no moves, their final smashes are still the same. So if this is the case, DS's final smash would be similar to Marth's, and by extension, Roy's.

For unique animations, I think it's important that the move at least has differences from the parent animation. Don't worry if it looks like another move. If it's only a few out of the entire set of unique looking animations, I'd say it's okay. Similarly, I think that the moves shouldn't be extremely flashy, or else it's distracting and obstructive.

That's okay about her playstyle. You don't need to make her with one in mind. One can form naturally.

drogoth232

Smash Lord
The FSmash idea (leaving pools of phazon or whatever) isn't possible. At least not easily possible.

The link is in his signature.

For Final Smash, I'm not sure if this is how it works
It depends on how good you are at coding.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
The FSmash idea (leaving pools of phazon or whatever) isn't possible. At least not easily possible.

It depends on how good you are at coding.
The pools of Phazon was a totally out there idea. I was thinking about having a hitbox randomly on the field but I have absolutely no idea how to do that and it's probably not even possible lol.

And yeah, all this extra stuff like cool alts and final smashes would be a lot more doable if I had some help.... right now I need to focus on the moveset though.

Gonna upload a few pics on what's done so far. Hopefully they'll tide you over until I can upload a high quality vid.

Last edited:

Omniscient X

Smash Journeyman
Tendrils could use a graphics update, I just finished vertexing a Tidal Wave for Nidoking so I could create a new tendril if you want.

I saw an earlier post about making an attack absorbable, to do this use special flags I believe it's bit 9 or 10 that is set in order to allow Ness, Lucas, etc. to absorb the attack.

The previews look promising.
-Omni

BaganSmashBros

Smash Hero
Looks good so far. Tendrills really need improvement. This Final Smash aura GFX looks like its misaligned. Scattershot (is it how its called?) GFX on the arm cannon should be at the tip of the cannon and not in the middle. It just looks awkward like that. This PSI Magnet GFX could be a bit brighter like other GFX used.
Good luck with it. I want to see this mod done and i hope animations are good enough and not like on that Dark Samus PSA we had before or nearly every PSA done. It really looks horrible when compared to other characters.

Last edited:

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Tendrils could use a graphics update, I just finished vertexing a Tidal Wave for Nidoking so I could create a new tendril if you want.

I saw an earlier post about making an attack absorbable, to do this use special flags I believe it's bit 9 or 10 that is set in order to allow Ness, Lucas, etc. to absorb the attack.

The previews look promising.
-Omni
I should probably add a disclaimer about the tendrils since that's the first thing people comment on lol. But yeah, they're placeholders until I get my hands on something better. All they are are vertexed Ivysaur vines, so that's why the texture is glitchy. If you could make new model, I'd be forever in your debt!

Thanks for the tip. I want her Nair, which is the last pic to be able to absorb projectiles.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Looks good so far. Tendrills really need improvement. This Final Smash aura GFX looks like its misaligned. Scattershot (is it how its called?) GFX on the arm cannon should be at the tip of the cannon and not in the middle. It just looks awkward like that. This PSI Magnet GFX could be a bit brighter like other GFX used.
Good luck with it. I want to see this mod done and i hope animations are good enough and not like on that Dark Samus PSA we had before or nearly every PSA done. It really looks horrible when compared to other characters.
Yup tendrils are temporary, the graphics on the Scattershot is fixed and idk what you mean about the PsiMagnet.. To me it looks great, especially when you mix it with different particle effects. It probably looks better in motion vs the pic.

Crony's Dark Samus wasn't that bad! He had some really cool ideas, like the up special grounded version and my version is pretty much using his coding for down air (which was a great move.) Plus his mod is from 2011, I think the standards for hacks have grew a lot since then.

I do agree though that the animations needed to adjusting. Most of them were just less often seen Samus animations, for example the up special used the animation for when Samus gets on a Dragoon and down special used the animation when Samus picked up a CD.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Yup tendrils are temporary, the graphics on the Scattershot is fixed and idk what you mean about the PsiMagnet.. To me it looks great, especially when you mix it with different particle effects. It probably looks better in motion vs the pic.

Crony's Dark Samus wasn't that bad! He had some really cool ideas, like the up special grounded version and my version is pretty much using his coding for down air (which was a great move.) Plus his mod is from 2011, I think the standards for hacks have grew a lot since then.

I do agree though that the animations needed to adjusting. Most of them were just less often seen Samus animations, for example the up special used the animation for when Samus gets on a Dragoon and down special used the animation when Samus picked up a CD.

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
When I saw "A Project M Moveset WIP", I thought it was an idea thread... THIS IS FAR MORE AMAZING!! Though is there a standard special? I didn't see it in the video nor the initial post (though I didn't read, nor watch, everything, so I could've missed it) I've always imagined her standard-special to be akin to Metroid Prime 3's Hypermode, and the side-special to be like a fully charged ROB laser that stops at first contact of a player... But your usage of the current side-special IS AWESOME!! I never even thought of that... And your side-throw is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!! I think the textures should (and this might be a bit crazy) less detailed. Is the skeleton fully original, or is it based off of Samus'? Someone uploaded a Dark Samus to the Brawl Vault using Prime 3's model, I don't like it as much as Prime 2's design, but it might make for a good costume or placeholder while you improve the Prime 2 model.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
What happened with the tentacles I sent?
I could't figure out how to animate them the way I needed them to be. And iirc, the model you sent me were a bunch of them placed in a circle doing some strange (but cool) animation... Ivysaur's up special is very close to what the tentacles need to look like. If you could envision the current ones from the latest pics, they emerge from the ground and grow large at the apex then shrink down back into the ground. If it's hard to picture just look at the Dark Samus assist trophy from Smash Wii U. I will look at your model again though because I only checked it once before moving on the rest of her moves.

When I saw "A Project M Moveset WIP", I thought it was an idea thread... THIS IS FAR MORE AMAZING!! Though is there a standard special? I didn't see it in the video nor the initial post (though I didn't read, nor watch, everything, so I could've missed it) I've always imagined her standard-special to be akin to Metroid Prime 3's Hypermode, and the side-special to be like a fully charged ROB laser that stops at first contact of a player... But your usage of the current side-special IS AWESOME!! I never even thought of that... And your side-throw is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!! I think the textures should (and this might be a bit crazy) less detailed. Is the skeleton fully original, or is it based off of Samus'? Someone uploaded a Dark Samus to the Brawl Vault using Prime 3's model, I don't like it as much as Prime 2's design, but it might make for a good costume or placeholder while you improve the Prime 2 model.
Thanks, your enthusiasm motivates me to work on her more haha.

I just wrote up some updates on her moves, and I am right now working on the neutral special. About the textures, if you haven't seen the latest version I reduced the sharpness and blended them using a Gaussian blur function from a photo editing app. The result is wayyyy closer to how Echoes DS looks. The pics in the original post are too pixelated for sure.

***Update***

Neutral B- Uncharged: Phazon "Blob" Beam- shoots a blob of Phazon that has a slight chance to freeze the target.
Charged: fires a thin Phazon laser that travels the entire horizontal distance of the stage distance. Inflicts heavy shield damage. Aerial charged shot will be a larger beam fired at a 45 degree angle towards the stage. Taking cues from the final DS battle in Echoes.

Dash Attack- Dark Samus performs a Phazon enhanced tackle with her arm cannon outstretched towards the target. Taking cues from the Corruption fight.

Up Tilt- Dark Samus lifts her left hand in the air and summons a bolt of lighting and energy. Taking cues from her Phazon "glacier" summoning technique in Corruption.

Forward Tilt- Dark Samus conjures a several dark tentacles. Long range, multiple hits.

Down Taunt- Phazon Thunder. Dark Samus overloads on Phazon and as a result has a blue glow to signify she's been powered up. This state will allow one enhanced version of a special move. For example. Side B will cover 1.5x the original distance and do more damage.

leekslap

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2294-4978-8399
First of all, this is good. What? Things tend to mean more when you aren't going "OMG THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER"( even though it kinda is, especially for a one man project :) )

As you can see, I'm a Samus main, and as you cannot see, I'm a MASSIVE Metroid fan. I love the original, Super Metroid, Fusion, Prime 1, and I've played all of them to 100%. I haven't played MP2 and MP3, but I think just being a Samus main and a knowledgable player overall makes stuff I say worth reading.

Forget about the Final Smash. Yeah, it's cool if you are a casual, but... meh. Focus more on balancing out the character while still maintaining their canonical aspects. Right now she is EXTREMELY OP. To make her fit into the 3.5 enviroment, nerf her using the PMDT's design choices that you see in their blogposts. I could go on and on about how genius their choices are ( except Olimar he sucks lol ), but just apply them to Damus and be smart about it.

It doesn't seem like you have a clear idea of what kind of character she is or what her pros and cons are. Since everyone just imagines Damus being an aggressive Samus, go with that. Give her a good SHFFL and sex kick. The closest thing to being aggressive with Samus is missile to dash attack, make her playstyle similar to that. Damus's projectiles are laggy and too good for camping right now, but that's not what we want. Think Falco's lasers but bad for camping. Make them easily nairable and not something you can spam. You may want to scrap her current up b because it's too good for the kind of character Damus is. Speaking of recovery, it could just be Samus's recovery without tethers and bomb jumps and a more mobile Screwattack. Giving her a reflector down b was a good idea and make it so that she can recover with it ala Mario's cape. Don't give a hitbox though since that's just making a spacie. As for her neutral b, something very similar to Robin's Arc Thunder would be perfect for her playstyle. Make all of her moves more combo oriented. If Samus's moves send them sideways then Damus's moves send them upwards.

Willsaber

Smash Cadet
Personally, I think she would benefit from being a more simple, or "casual" character. E.I., not so much combo oriented, but more focused on using one attack at a time (sort of like Mario).

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
First of all, this is good. What? Things tend to mean more when you aren't going "OMG THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER"( even though it kinda is, especially for a one man project :) )

As you can see, I'm a Samus main, and as you cannot see, I'm a MASSIVE Metroid fan. I love the original, Super Metroid, Fusion, Prime 1, and I've played all of them to 100%. I haven't played MP2 and MP3, but I think just being a Samus main and a knowledgable player overall makes stuff I say worth reading.

Forget about the Final Smash. Yeah, it's cool if you are a casual, but... meh. Focus more on balancing out the character while still maintaining their canonical aspects. Right now she is EXTREMELY OP. To make her fit into the 3.5 enviroment, nerf her using the PMDT's design choices that you see in their blogposts. I could go on and on about how genius their choices are ( except Olimar he sucks lol ), but just apply them to Damus and be smart about it.

It doesn't seem like you have a clear idea of what kind of character she is or what her pros and cons are. Since everyone just imagines Damus being an aggressive Samus, go with that. Give her a good SHFFL and sex kick. The closest thing to being aggressive with Samus is missile to dash attack, make her playstyle similar to that. Damus's projectiles are laggy and too good for camping right now, but that's not what we want. Think Falco's lasers but bad for camping. Make them easily nairable and not something you can spam. You may want to scrap her current up b because it's too good for the kind of character Damus is. Speaking of recovery, it could just be Samus's recovery without tethers and bomb jumps and a more mobile Screwattack. Giving her a reflector down b was a good idea and make it so that she can recover with it ala Mario's cape. Don't give a hitbox though since that's just making a spacie. As for her neutral b, something very similar to Robin's Arc Thunder would be perfect for her playstyle. Make all of her moves more combo oriented. If Samus's moves send them sideways then Damus's moves send them upwards.
Thanks for the feedback... but what version are you talking about though? I haven't released what I've done so far.

Last edited:

zigheart

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the feedback... but what version are you talking about though? I haven't released what I've done so far.
lol he might be talking about the marth DS you used as a base floating around on brawl vault.. i'm personally looking forward to this. KCMM is back up although high traffic atm >.> you'll probably be seeing me and sirks there more. she's off work for the week and can help with animations. and we have internet again. so thats a plus xD i had ideas for a DS moveset.

dark screw attack for an aerial side B is something i always thought would give a unique twist on one of samus's moves. something familliar yet completely different in functionality. basically it would be a single use horizontal screw attack that covers a decent distance. it would reset on contact with a target allowing another use each time it hits.

say dark samus is knocked off the stage, she uses her side B to recover. it would send her forward a ways back onto the stage. for a basic recovery. now lets say she was kicked farther off now and an opponent tries to edge guard her off stage. with good timing you would screw through the attacker once sending them off stage and be able to use the screw attack once more for a second time to further your recovery.

then there is the use as an attack. lets say you have several people in line attacking around the stage you could then "buzz saw" through them consecutively dealing moderate damage. each time you hit an opponent they would be kicked behind you a little ways so you can't infinitely screw any player.

this is just a comment on down B aerial. i liked croney's phazon comet. but it was too easy to spam an not very punishable for a strong attack. you could move far before the animation was even over >.<. i think it should be a really really powerful "OH SH**" move that takes time to pull off, giving plenty of warning to any fighter. (maybe 2-3 second start lag) then on the "crash" part of the attack have DS invulnerable. once she hits she suffers even more end lag (another 2-3 seconds) making before and after the moves very punishable and making it hard to spam. i saw you mention something about phazon comet as the up B recovery. i don't think this would be the right move. since you already have a comet move mapped to another attack if i remember. besides it would feel a little.. off

last this is a move sirks thought up and suggested but here is a final smash.
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090404102438/metroid/images/4/4f/Darkburst_on_an_Ingsmasher.png

dark burst. the dark beam MP2 beam combo. basically she would fire a shot then create a black hole. i don't think this should be a lethal move tho. but one that will rack up a lot of damage if it hits. perhaps add wind collisions to it to pull players into it.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
lol he might be talking about the marth DS you used as a base floating around on brawl vault.. i'm personally looking forward to this. KCMM is back up although high traffic atm >.> you'll probably be seeing me and sirks there more. she's off work for the week and can help with animations. and we have internet again. so thats a plus xD i had ideas for a DS moveset.

dark screw attack for an aerial side B is something i always thought would give a unique twist on one of samus's moves. something familliar yet completely different in functionality. basically it would be a single use horizontal screw attack that covers a decent distance. it would reset on contact with a target allowing another use each time it hits.

say dark samus is knocked off the stage, she uses her side B to recover. it would send her forward a ways back onto the stage. for a basic recovery. now lets say she was kicked farther off now and an opponent tries to edge guard her off stage. with good timing you would screw through the attacker once sending them off stage and be able to use the screw attack once more for a second time to further your recovery.

then there is the use as an attack. lets say you have several people in line attacking around the stage you could then "buzz saw" through them consecutively dealing moderate damage. each time you hit an opponent they would be kicked behind you a little ways so you can't infinitely screw any player.

this is just a comment on down B aerial. i liked croney's phazon comet. but it was too easy to spam an not very punishable for a strong attack. you could move far before the animation was even over >.<. i think it should be a really really powerful "OH SH**" move that takes time to pull off, giving plenty of warning to any fighter. (maybe 2-3 second start lag) then on the "crash" part of the attack have DS invulnerable. once she hits she suffers even more end lag (another 2-3 seconds) making before and after the moves very punishable and making it hard to spam. i saw you mention something about phazon comet as the up B recovery. i don't think this would be the right move. since you already have a comet move mapped to another attack if i remember. besides it would feel a little.. off

last this is a move sirks thought up and suggested but here is a final smash.
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090404102438/metroid/images/4/4f/Darkburst_on_an_Ingsmasher.png

dark burst. the dark beam MP2 beam combo. basically she would fire a shot then create a black hole. i don't think this should be a lethal move tho. but one that will rack up a lot of damage if it hits. perhaps add wind collisions to it to pull players into it.
Very cool ideas. Were you the person willing to look at cliff animations? Lol and didn't the original Marth import DS have a spammable aerial screw attack? That attack's long gone ha. Right now she has the aerial scattershot for the move, still gotta clean up the animation though.

About the phazon comet, i totally agree with you and one of the first things I fixed was the lag time on landing. My brother refused to play Dark Samus cause of how it little lag it had lol. But now I added more frames to the landing animation so she's left open for longer, plus after she uses the attack in Echoes she's sitting there for like 6 seconds.

My original thought was to incorporate the comet into her Up B for two reasons,

1.) If you recall from the Echoes fights, she does a vertical backflip then crashes towards the ground at the very top. I thought this would be a cool, unique Up B.

2.) since King DDD already has an up B similar to what i was going for, i thought it would be relatively easy to implement.

But.... I've since scrapped the idea for something simpler. It just didn't feel right given DS's playstyle at the moment, plus it didn't make sense to have the comet on two moves. What she has down is similar to Charizard's Up Special, she launches vertically upwards a good distance and I animated it to look like what she does after coming out of being invisible in the elevator fight. I'm pretty happy with how it looks so far.

I kinda OD'd on this last night at worked on her for 7 hrs straight :lol: To have her ready to play against my bro who's coming in today... I had so many ideas but I got soooooo much done. All that's left is:

Make a new F smash
Fix a couple damage animations and cliff attack animations
Get someone to code for the Special N (will post pics soon)
Sound effect tweaks

And then I may be able to think about making her Final Smash finally.

Last edited:

zigheart

Smash Apprentice
Very cool ideas. Were you the person willing to look at cliff animations? Lol and didn't the original Marth import DS have a spammable aerial screw attack? That attack's long gone ha. Right now she has the aerial scattershot for the move, still gotta clean up the animation though.

About the phazon comet, i totally agree with you and one of the first things I fixed was the lag time on landing. My brother refused to play Dark Samus cause of how it little lag it had lol. But now I added more frames to the landing animation so she's left open for longer, plus after she uses the attack in Echoes she's sitting there for like 6 seconds.

My original thought was to incorporate the comet into her Up B for two reasons,

1.) If you recall from the Echoes fights, she does a vertical backflip then crashes towards the ground at the very top. I thought this would be a cool, unique Up B.

2.) since King DDD already has an up B similar to what i was going for, i thought it would be relatively easy to implement.

But.... I've since scrapped the idea for something simpler. It just didn't feel right given DS's playstyle at the moment, plus it didn't make sense to have the comet on two moves. What she has down is similar to Charizard's Up Special, she launches vertically upwards a good distance and I animated it to look like what she does after coming out of being invisible in the elevator fight. I'm pretty happy with how it looks so far.

I kinda OD'd on this last night at worked on her for 7 hrs straight :lol: To have her ready to play against my bro who's coming in today... I had so many ideas but I got soooooo much done. All that's left is:

Make a new F smash
Fix a couple damage animations and cliff attack animations
Get someone to code for the Special N (will post pics soon)
Sound effect tweaks

And then I may be able to think about making her Final Smash finally.
actually it was Sirks who offered to look at the animations. she has been pretty swamped with work tho. by now i think you made more progress so she would need an update.

actually i was thinking more along the lines of an old brawl minus samus that had the side B screw attack (DS was a side A wich made little sinse if i remember right) tho i disliked the brawl minus samus for a few reasons. first was because the attack was spammable (tho it did drop with height every use) and that it made you near invincible on anything clankable. it nulled it out and kept coming. i was thinking of something a little less OP as stated before. don't get me wrong screw attack has always been OP when it hits. but for balancing i thought it would be best to make it a fast yet weak attack (maybe 1 damage each hit fo a total of 5 damage, and last one throwing the target back so they cant be screwed again) that is more geared for recovery and to reposition yourself away from a threat.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
actually it was Sirks who offered to look at the animations. she has been pretty swamped with work tho. by now i think you made more progress so she would need an update.

actually i was thinking more along the lines of an old brawl minus samus that had the side B screw attack (DS was a side A wich made little sinse if i remember right) tho i disliked the brawl minus samus for a few reasons. first was because the attack was spammable (tho it did drop with height every use) and that it made you near invincible on anything clankable. it nulled it out and kept coming. i was thinking of something a little less OP as stated before. don't get me wrong screw attack has always been OP when it hits. but for balancing i thought it would be best to make it a fast yet weak attack (maybe 1 damage each hit fo a total of 5 damage, and last one throwing the target back so they cant be screwed again) that is more geared for recovery and to reposition yourself away from a threat.
I don't think she's going to have a screw attack. Right now it doesn't exactly fit in with the rest of her moves but thanks for the ideas. And for the most part I'm happy with the animations actually. There are a couple of hitches here and there but I played her against my bro yesterday (and he's incredibly critical) and he said she looks and plays like a fully fledged out character.

Now I just need to record footage. Anyone know if there's a way to hook up the Wii to my computer and record gameplay? I saw bandicam was mentioned, but I don't know how to use it.

Also for anyone skilled in using PSA, there are a couple of things I'm trying to implement so if anyone has any info please share:

1) Dark Samus's Neutral B has two versions, uncharged and charged. The uncharged is a "blob" of phazon that travels pretty much across the length of FD and explodes at the end of the animation.
-I want there to be a probability/chance for the opponent to freeze. I know there's a freeze flag option for the offensive collision in Brawlbox 0.68b but that freezes the 100% of the time and I don't want that. Anyone know if there's a way to do this?

2.) She is over Marth and as such, her neutral special works like Marth's Shield Breaker i.e. his neutral B. So you have to hold down B to get the fully charged version. Right now, all I can tweak is the charged time of the move. What I'd like is for you to be able to hold the charge like Samus' or Mewtwo's neutral Specials. Something tells me I can just look in there Action coding and copy and paste but I just want some more informed opinions.

There's more stuff I'm trying to implement but lets take it one move at a time!

zigheart

Smash Apprentice
I don't think she's going to have a screw attack. Right now it doesn't exactly fit in with the rest of her moves but thanks for the ideas. And for the most part I'm happy with the animations actually. There are a couple of hitches here and there but I played her against my bro yesterday (and he's incredibly critical) and he said she looks and plays like a fully fledged out character.

Now I just need to record footage. Anyone know if there's a way to hook up the Wii to my computer and record gameplay? I saw bandicam was mentioned, but I don't know how to use it.

Also for anyone skilled in using PSA, there are a couple of things I'm trying to implement so if anyone has any info please share:

1) Dark Samus's Neutral B has two versions, uncharged and charged. The uncharged is a "blob" of phazon that travels pretty much across the length of FD and explodes at the end of the animation.
-I want there to be a probability/chance for the opponent to freeze. I know there's a freeze flag option for the offensive collision in Brawlbox 0.68b but that freezes the 100% of the time and I don't want that. Anyone know if there's a way to do this?

2.) She is over Marth and as such, her neutral special works like Marth's Shield Breaker i.e. his neutral B. So you have to hold down B to get the fully charged version. Right now, all I can tweak is the charged time of the move. What I'd like is for you to be able to hold the charge like Samus' or Mewtwo's neutral Specials. Something tells me I can just look in there Action coding and copy and paste but I just want some more informed opinions.

There's more stuff I'm trying to implement but lets take it one move at a time!
bandicam is pretty easy to use. it just records what ever is on your computer scree. however you would need to be able to play the dolphin emulator with decent quality on your comp which requires at least a 3ghz processor to play smoothly.i'd offer to take footage but my computer isn't strong enough to run the game at full frames so the sound is bad.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to ask for help on her neutral special again, hopefully someone out there has info on how to code this:

-I want there to be a probability/chance for the opponent to freeze. I know there's a freeze flag option for the offensive collision in Brawlbox 0.68b but that freezes the enemy 100% of the time and I don't want that. Anyone know if there's a way to do this?

2.) She is over Marth and as such, her neutral special works like Marth's Shield Breaker i.e. his neutral B. So you have to hold down B to get the fully charged version. Right now, all I can tweak is the charge time of the move. What I'd like is for you to be able to hold the charge like Samus' or Mewtwo's neutral Specials. Something tells me I can just look in there Action coding and copy and paste but I just want some more informed opinions.

3.) I want there to be a charged ground version and charged aerial version. The charged ground version shoots a thin blue beam horizontally and the aerial version will shoot at a 45 degree angle towards the stage. I'd like for this move to last for a couple of seconds (3-4) and Dark Samus should be able to move around while the beam is shooting towards the ground. This probably can be done with either LA or RA bits but I have no idea how to implement this.
Absolutely ANY info on these things is appreciated!

Last edited:

failsnail99

Smash Cadet
This is a great psa,do you have any idea when there will be a release date?I would love to use this,but since Marth is pretty much my favorite character,I won't be able to use this,but a friend of mine would love it.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
This is a great psa,do you have any idea when there will be a release date?I would love to use this,but since Marth is pretty much my favorite character,I won't be able to use this,but a friend of mine would love it.
I was anticipating early December but since coding help is hard to come by it'll probably be delayed.

Dark-Samus-Lives

Smash Journeyman
Here's a preview on Dark Samus' neutral special. I am naming them corny names for now.

*Hitboxes, move properties, and graphics subject to change.

A.) Uncharged, ground Special Neutral- The Phazon Globule Cannon. This attack is similar to the one she does during the elevator fight in Metroid Prime 2: Echoes after finishing her boost ball attack. There will be a 20% chance to freeze the foe in a Phazon glacier if the globule makes contact.

B.) Charged, ground Special Neutral- Phazon-Plasma Beam. Similar to her destructive beam attack from the elevator fight, Dark Samus charges Phazon energy and shoots a piercing thin beam of concentrated Phazon. This attack inflicts heavy shield damage. Inflicts 15% damage and kills around 130-145%.

C.) Charged, aerial Special Neutral- Phazon-Hyper Beam. In the final fight of Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, Dark Samus absorbs Phazon and condenses the power into a huge Phazon beam that follows Samus wherever she moves. This attack is similar in the sense that it is a huge ass beam. This attack will last for a couple of seconds and Dark Samus can only move horizontally while she is shooting the beam which is angled 45 degrees towards the stage. The beam hits multiple times and has little knockback. The idea is for the beam to inflict many low percentage hits but have the potential to do a lot of damage of you focus the beam on the opponent for the entire duration of the attack. The beam graphic will be swapped for something more similar to how it looks in Echoes.

How it looks in Echoes:

So far, I've completed about 85% of the graphics and animations for these moves (its a lot because there's 4 special N's, all with different graphics and animations not to mention different charging animations for both air and ground) but I need someone who knows how to code Specials and Action scripts in PSA to get the moves working how I want them to. Should be a cinch for someone who knows what they're doing. Anyway, enjoy the preview for now Phaazlings!

Last edited:

Greytel

Smash Rookie
This looks really cool. Very true to the original character. Great work!

Top Bottom