• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dark Samus(a.K.a Metroid Prime): We will consume everything.

super ginger kid

Smash Apprentice
The remnents of planet Phaaze or that carboard box
i believe they will put dark samus in ssbb, they are already showing us that they put metroid prime power suits in smash, so it is very likely they will put dark samus in, i mean it is the main villain of metroid prim series. of course ridley would make it in before dark samus, but why cant they put both of them in. some other games have 2 rivals in ssbb(kirby, and mario). they will at least put one of them in as ats or sse bosses, if not both of them.

dynamic_entry

Smash Ace
Someone didn't read the arguements section.

Argument: Ridley is a much better choice for Brawl.

Rebuttal: So the ever popular Metroid series deserves only 2 Representatives? Dark Samus is not competing for a spot with Ridley, but would rather be another Metroid rep in addition to the popular Space Pirate General. In the event that Ridley and Dark Samus are added to Brawl, Metroid would still only have 3 characters fighting under the series banner, which is on par or less than the Kirby, Pokemon, Zelda, and Mario series.

i think just because the series is popular doesn't mean we have to throw in as many reps as we can. the zelda series could make do with 3, while the mario series clearly needs more room. also, at this stage how is it clear that ridley and DS are not competing for a spot? we don't know for sure if zero suit is all sakurai plans to do to expand on the current metroid lineup. it'd be very disappointing, but we can't rule it out.

Argument: We don't need two villains from the same franchise.

Rebuttal: Why not? Metroid is uncommonly lacking in the protagonist department, so it's not unrepresentative of the franchise to have more villains than heroes in Brawl. And regardless, two of Kirby's rivals/nemesis have made it into Brawl, so Sakurai is obviously willing to tip the balance towards the bad guys.

its difficult to compare to the kirby franchise, mainly because sakurai is bound to be biased towards his own games. additionaly, i haven't played the kirby games so i can't comment on whether or not there are any other viable choices for kirby spots.

I'm saying Trolling in general(like the kind you're doing) is gay.
right. so your saying im a gay troll. thanks for that homophobic opinion.

Yeah sakurai said he wanted to better represent the metroid series for a reason... a transformation and one more character is SO better reping a series...
um, yea.... it is. explain how 2 or 3 is not greater than 1 please.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Japan is a really weird place. For proof Japan is the only place where Tingle is popular as opposed to the rest of the world where he is seen as the gayest video game character ever.

I agree that Metroid does desreve more reps. because it is one of Ninty's best selling series. One reason for the lack of representation may be due to the fact that there are very few important charactars other than Samus, Ridley, and Dark Samus.
Unless you stick a Space Pirate or Metroid in there, you really don't have any other reoccurring characters of any importance (some of the creatures are in multiple games but with different names or looks, or are just unimportant in general). Dark Samus is technially the main villain in the entire Metroid Prime series, while Ridley only acts as a normal boss fight. That does not necessarily demean his importance, but it shows that Dark Samus is more important to the specific three games than he is, although not to the franchise.

For right now, he has hardly reped the series better considering the much larger cast of playable characters expected. Even with just Samus anda transformation character who cannot be used in general play since you need an item first, that is still not much representation at all. Throwing in the banned dragon would be better than nothing, but it is deserving of three character slots. Basically, it's more... but when compared relatively, not much more at all.

Wu Tang Gang

Smash Ace
i think just because the series is popular doesn't mean we have to throw in as many reps as we can. the zelda series could make do with 3, while the mario series clearly needs more room. also, at this stage how is it clear that ridley and DS are not competing for a spot? we don't know for sure if zero suit is all sakurai plans to do to expand on the current metroid lineup. it'd be very disappointing, but we can't rule it out.
Having 5 Reps going down to 3, is very idiotic. It'd go from 5-6. I mean, Melee was rushed, and we STILL got 5. Your arguements are REALLY getting inane.

Haha. Metroid makes a fateful comeback after a 10 year hiatus with a massive sales rate, and you dub the reason of this, Metroid Prime, a costume alt. I'm loving that logic.

Ridley and Dark Samus are in no way competing for a spot. It's like saying Meta Knight and King Dedede are competing for spots. But look how it turned out!

its difficult to compare to the kirby franchise, mainly because sakurai is bound to be biased towards his own games. additionaly, i haven't played the kirby games so i can't comment on whether or not there are any other viable choices for kirby spots.
That's why he has SOOO many characters in the Kirby series. Right?

right. so your saying im a gay troll. thanks for that homophobic opinion.
No, no, thank YOU for pinning the blame on me and purposefully misunderstanding what I meant. Trolling is gay. Not the trolls. They in particular are annoying.

Explain to me how one more rep (Ridley) is a much more vast representation than 2.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Ones a transformation, so we got 2 characters and a rep... oh wow that is so much better than having 4 characters, after all metroid HAS becomed more popular recently, but I bet one more character and a transformation only activated by an item is A-ok![/sarcasm]

seriously he has a shot, the roster is getting bigger and he wants to better rep the series... dark samus the main enemy of prime saga has a shot, hes the next best candidate after ridley...

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
dyanmic_entry:

so you would prefer that Dark Samus not be in the game because....why? because you want Ridley to be in? let's assume that Ridley is in the game, 100%. now...why do you not want Dark Samus also in the game? because you want to limit the number of Metroid representatives? why can't Metroid have as many reps as Kirby? you realize that Metroid could have 3 reps and still be dwarfed by Zelda, Pokemon, and Mario, right?

dynamic_entry

Smash Ace
Having 5 Reps going down to 3, is very idiotic. It'd go from 5-6. I mean, Melee was rushed, and we STILL got 5. Your arguements are REALLY getting inane.

Haha. Metroid makes a fateful comeback after a 10 year hiatus with a massive sales rate, and you dub the reason of this, Metroid Prime, a costume alt. I'm loving that logic.

Ridley and Dark Samus are in no way competing for a spot. It's like saying Meta Knight and King Dedede are competing for spots. But look how it turned out!
first off, i never said that zelda reps would go down, i just said that 3 would be more than enough to represent what the series is about.

also, i dont think its fair to say that the reason for the metroid prime sales rates is solely due to dark samus/metroid prime. they were good games in their own right. its like saying the reason paper mario sold so well is because of dark peach.

and finally, its not like saying meta knight and dedede were competing. you think because sakurai gives 3 reps to the kirby franchise that he has to give 3 reps to every other franchise with only one rep in previous games? yea, lets see how that turns out...

That's why he has SOOO many characters in the Kirby series. Right?
not really sure what you were trying to say with this...

No, no, thank YOU for pinning the blame on me and purposefully misunderstanding what I meant. Trolling is gay. Not the trolls. They in particular are annoying.
im sorry to have taken up your valuable time, but if you convince me of how great Dark SAmus is, then she'll have an extra fan! no, i like dark samus, i just don't like the idea of her in brawl for some reason.

Explain to me how one more rep (Ridley) is a much more vast representation than 2.
where did he say "more vast"? thats you reading into that what you want to see. he said he wanted to give it better representation. at this point, whether you want to believe it or not, he HAS given the metroid series better rep, with zero suit. what you're arguing is how much more rep he was going to give, but he never specified so its impossible to say. i cant say he won't put both ridley and dark samus in, you cant say he will definitely put both in to any degree of certainty.

dynamic_entry

Smash Ace
sigh, sorry if this double posts.

Ones a transformation, so we got 2 characters and a rep... oh wow that is so much better than having 4 characters, after all metroid HAS becomed more popular recently, but I bet one more character and a transformation only activated by an item is A-ok![/sarcasm]

seriously he has a shot, the roster is getting bigger and he wants to better rep the series... dark samus the main enemy of prime saga has a shot, hes the next best candidate after ridley...
again, you're arguing semantics. we don't know whether or not "better representation" to sakurai is simply a transformation for samus, or another 5 characters so the series can be on par with mario and zelda. neither of us is right or wrong at this point, its just about how we interpret sakurai's words.

dyanmic_entry:

so you would prefer that Dark Samus not be in the game because....why? because you want Ridley to be in? let's assume that Ridley is in the game, 100%. now...why do you not want Dark Samus also in the game? because you want to limit the number of Metroid representatives? why can't Metroid have as many reps as Kirby? you realize that Metroid could have 3 reps and still be dwarfed by Zelda, Pokemon, and Mario, right?
thats a fair point. i guess i might be a little more inclined to support dark samus if ridley was confirmed. however as i've said before i don't think 2 reps for the metroid franchise would be unrepresentative of the series as a whole. especially since the prime series is less highly regarded in japan. even though, as wu tang gang pointed out earlier, ridley has only been a boss in the prime series while DS has been the primary antagonist, i've still felt more exhilarated in the samus v ridley fights.

Mikel 2

Smash Journeyman
Oh 1st off thanks Wu for the update,
now, dynamic entry doesn't like DS as a character because he thinks metroid only needs 1 more
representative, right? Just tryin to get my facts straight.
So why don't you like the idea DE? Just curious.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
and finally, its not like saying meta knight and dedede were competing. you think because sakurai gives 3 reps to the kirby franchise that he has to give 3 reps to every other franchise with only one rep in previous games? yea, lets see how that turns out...
No one said EVERY series that only had one rep before. Metroid is far more popular internationally than Game and Watch was though, or Mother, or Yoshi (who basically has a Mario spinoff series anyway). DK has been given two full reps, and people are expecting a third one even though there is a lot of doubt as well.

As of right now, Metroid is the most popular series that got only one rep in Melee.

where did he say "more vast"? thats you reading into that what you want to see. he said he wanted to give it better representation. at this point, whether you want to believe it or not, he HAS given the metroid series better rep, with zero suit. what you're arguing is how much more rep he was going to give, but he never specified so its impossible to say. i cant say he won't put both ridley and dark samus in, you cant say he will definitely put both in to any degree of certainty.
A transformation after a FS is hardly a whole new character. I mean, there is no way to start a match with her and you just have to hope for a Smash Ball just to use her, as far as we know. Unless that changes, I won't call Zamus a whole rep since she is literally unusable with items turned off, or if you don't get a Smash Ball while they are on. At least you could start a match with Sheik, regardless of items.

Ridley would be a second rep is fine to you but Dark Samus as a third rep is bad? It's more popular than Kirby, although it is Sakurai's own franchise, it's more popular than DK now, which has two character slots, so it should get that at the very least. A third one wouldn't hurt anything at all.

Zero Suit Samus shouldn't really count as an additional representative, as she's not a stand-alone character. Metroid has been around since Kid Icarus and I would say it's as important to Nintendo as The Legend of Zelda. Just because there are no other protagonists that would make a good character, that doesn't mean more than one villain is a bad idea.

Dark Samus's Metroid Prime 3 form is just too sexy to ignore anyway.

dynamic_entry

Smash Ace
Oh 1st off thanks Wu for the update,
now, dynamic entry doesn't like DS as a character because he thinks metroid only needs 1 more
representative, right? Just tryin to get my facts straight.
So why don't you like the idea DE? Just curious.
as a character in the prime games, i love DS. as a PC in brawl, im not so sure. for starters i prefer ridley, so its only natural that im gonna butt heads with you guys a bit. furthermore, i think that its a bit eager to assume that sakurai saying metroid is going to get more representation means tat he's going to put 2-3 more character in (depending on whether you consider a transformation a new character or not). but mainly, i just don't think she represents the franchise as a whole enough to be justified a place in brawl. i'm sure there are other examples of characters that don't do this that someone will probably use as a rebuttal to what i've just said, but metroid for me has been about samus and the space pirates (and ridley and mother brain).
i dont really count DS as space pirate because her with basically involves her brainwashing them.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
as a character in the prime games, i love DS. as a PC in brawl, im not so sure. for starters i prefer ridley, so its only natural that im gonna butt heads with you guys a bit.
I think the majority of the people here know that Ridley is the better candidate (it's even mentioned in the first post). The difference in opinion is just how much representation the franchise will get.

as a character in the prime games, i love DS. as a PC in brawl, im not so sure. for starters i prefer ridley, so its only natural that im gonna butt heads with you guys a bit. furthermore, i think that its a bit eager to assume that sakurai saying metroid is going to get more representation means tat he's going to put 2-3 more character in (depending on whether you consider a transformation a new character or not). but mainly, i just don't think she represents the franchise as a whole enough to be justified a place in brawl. i'm sure there are other examples of characters that don't do this that someone will probably use as a rebuttal to what i've just said, but metroid for me has been about samus and the space pirates (and ridley and mother brain).
You don't have to butt heads with us. I support Ridley as much as anyone here, but there's nothing wrong with wanting both in the game, or putting both in the game.

I had hope in Dark Samus before I found out Sakurai said that though. And she, along with Ridley, was featured on the Japanese website where Sakurai asked for poll suggestions. We know he at least considered her.

dynamic_entry

Smash Ace
I think the majority of the people here know that Ridley is the better candidate (it's even mentioned in the first post). The difference in opinion is just how much representation the franchise will get.
i thought i made that point..... oh well....

concerning something you said in your post above though, while i agree with you in that zero suit is not a pure character choice (as far as we know anyway) i don't think its fair to write her off as nothing either. she certainly adds something to brawl. on an unrelated note i think there be zero suit without items... but thats neither here nor there.

Wu Tang Gang

Smash Ace
first off, i never said that zelda reps would go down, i just said that 3 would be more than enough to represent what the series is about.
..Umm I don't see what that's trying to prove.
also, i dont think its fair to say that the reason for the metroid prime sales rates is solely due to dark samus/metroid prime. they were good games in their own right. its like saying the reason paper mario sold so well is because of dark peach.
....The Paper Mario Series sold so well because of you giving me on spoiler on Super Paper Mario..There's a thing called the spoiler tags y'know! Oh, and how can a series sell well because of a character that appeared in the latest,(not reoccurring -like Dark Samus/Metroid Prime-) and greatest game?
..This is completely ruled out for the fact that you have an obvious bias for Dark Samus being in Brawl. Oh, and stop putting words in my mouth. I'm not the Phoenix Wright Objection Maker.

im sorry to have taken up your valuable time, but if you convince me of how great Dark SAmus is, then she'll have an extra fan! no, i like dark samus, i just don't like the idea of her in brawl for some reason.
That pretty much said it. You only don' want her because of an opinion. How could you NOT like her? She's the commander of RIDLEY!

"What I want to see"? It's like thesaurizing what he said. More vast representation=Much more representation.
..That only proves he's going to give a **** about Prime. Saying that an alt. completely represents a series is like saying Prime is like Daisy's game. An alt. represented her game.

He never really specifies anything. He estimated about 3 third party characters (which many consider that estimation a number), but the more logical and money earning solution= More Characters more Money. Why WOULDN'T he do so?

You can't say he will definitely put in even Ridley, until he's confirmed. What are you trying to do, besides stating common sense?

Mikel 2

Smash Journeyman
i dont really count DS as space pirate because her with basically involves her brainwashing them.
1st We all support Ridley, some more than you'd think, so it really should just be a peaceful discussion.
2nd A good point, we can't assume anything until sakurai flat out tells us.
3rd Think of it from our point of view:
Samus-represents the whole series.Ridley-main antagonist/villain,even though not lastboss.
Dark Samus-represents the new generation of metroid, and as the 2nd or 3rd main antagonist.
Last, well think about it, both have ruled the Space priates, but their not one technically.

dynamic_entry

Smash Ace
..Umm I don't see what that's trying to prove.
im trying to prove that a series, no matter how popular doesn't necessarily need as many reps as possible to accurately represent it.

This is completely ruled out for the fact that you have an obvious bias for Dark Samus being in Brawl. Oh, and stop putting words in my mouth. I'm not the Phoenix Wright Objection Maker.
im not putting words in your mouth. you said that it wasn't like meta knight and dedede were competing, therefore you were assuming that a 1 rep series previously could become a 3 rep series no problems.

That pretty much said it. You only don' want her because of an opinion. How could you NOT like her? She's the commander of RIDLEY!
um, and you want her in because of your opinion. :urg: and as i've said i do like her... please read my entire posts.

"What I want to see"? It's like thesaurizing what he said. More vast representation=Much more representation.
..That only proves he's going to give a **** about Prime. Saying that an alt. completely represents a series is like saying Prime is like Daisy's game. An alt. represented her game.
do you read what i type? i said that he DIDN'T say "more vast" he simply said "more". and as chaos blade has already pointed out, interpreting that statement is the crux of this argument. additionally, i never said DS should be a costume. i've been saying not in the game, not a costume. its really difficult arguing with someone who isn't listening.

He never really specifies anything. He estimated about 3 third party characters (which many consider that estimation a number), but the more logical and money earning solution= More Characters more Money. Why WOULDN'T he do so?

You can't say he will definitely put in even Ridley, until he's confirmed. What are you trying to do, besides stating common sense?
for starters, i am the one who brought up the argument that he never specified anything. secondly, more characters = more money? maybe, but that character spot could go to NiGHTS for instance, so perhaps more franchises = more money.

and finally, i never said he would definitely put Ridley in. man that is a real train-of-thought post you've got there.

Wu Tang Gang

Smash Ace
Now you're just pulling these excuses out of your ***. I barely even get you anymore. Ask the others to enlighten you, I have no clue what you're even trying to do. I'll be looking up the Dark Samus/Metroid Prime vids, now.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
...rather than Dark Samus taking a spot on the roster.
Ouch, way to make her sound like a completely useless, terrible character. At least that is how it sounded. But meh, yeah, she isn't a alt, and has a lot more potential than what she could fill as AT... then again so did Lyn.

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
Argument: She/It hasn't starred in enough games to rake in enough importance.

Rebuttal: The Ice Climbers, Pit, Roy, Lucas, Ness, and Sheik have all starred/appeared in less games than Dark Samus. Also, don't forget that Dark Samus is the primary antagonist of the Metroid Prime trilogy, which single-handedly revived the Metroid franchise.

Don't forget adult Link, too. While I understand the vast relative importance of the Zelda franchise, adult Link has only appeared in two games: Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess. Even still, he is chosen as the primary rep. of the Zelda universe.

Wu Tang Gang

Smash Ace
This thread fails :p

lol, jk

but seriously, I dont think Dark Samus's chances are high... at all... ever...
The revival of the Metroid series' TEN YEAR HIATUS has a low chance for Brawl. Please elaborate.
How 'bout just an alt costume for Samus rather than Dark Samus taking a spot on the roster.
Hm..How 'bout just an alt costume for Ike rather than Roy taking a spot on the roster.(notice the complete irony and no question mark?

How 'bout just an alt costume for Samus rather than Dark Samus taking a spot on the roster.
How about you come up with an idea that is:

a) possible.
b) not sh****ty in the first place.

Last, well think about it, both have ruled the Space priates, but their not one technically.
Well Ridley is a Space Pirate when you're talking about the organization. But he's obviously a different species. I don't think 'Space Pirate' is a species, and there are bound to be some of those creatures outside of that society.

DarkSpidey13

Smash Ace
Don't forget adult Link, too. While I understand the vast relative importance of the Zelda franchise, adult Link has only appeared in two games: Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess. Even still, he is chosen as the primary rep. of the Zelda universe.
adult link was also in Zelda 2, A Link to the Past, and Link's Awakening. don't downplay the man just cause he's only been in 3D twice.

also, the original Link was a few years older than the current Young Link.

SinisterLizard

Smash Ace
adult link was also in Zelda 2, A Link to the Past, and Link's Awakening. don't downplay the man just cause he's only been in 3D twice.

also, the original Link was a few years older than the current Young Link.
Link to the Past he's an adult?? You sure about that? :confused:

Mikel 2

Smash Journeyman
How about luigi be a mario alt? how about roy be an alt for marth?
how about ridley be an alt for charizard? ur argument makes no got dang sense.
Honestly, 4 each one, he's/she's/its too important to the series, except roy.

But its link, who represents the series...
they just decided to use those incarnations.

This thread fails :p

lol, jk

but seriously, I dont think Dark Samus's chances are high... at all... ever...
why ain't they high? cuz u said so? were Ice climbers chances o returning very high?
were PT chances high?

Everybody please,
Think before you post :mad:

Top Bottom