• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

D.B.R. Presents: GENESIS! RESULTS-Melee: Mango. Brawl: To Be Decided

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niko_K

Smash Master
PockyD why are you inclined to be such a pessimist towards such a large project? Sorry you can't be a part of it, like it matters. You're already in CA.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Lol, Pocky, I think we agree on this notion. Although, they probably didn't see my post about it in the Atlantic North section.

$340 a person, right? That doesn't include hotel, food, etc.(I'm assuming, but I could be wrong) You also have to take into consideration lodging for when you actually get there...and the way back. Taking the airplane idea into consideration...you're probably talking about the same price for a round trip. You can get there like Wednesday evening and then chill all day Thursday getting your practice in/hanging out/ sightseeing. Then get more practice in on the day dedicated to friendlies. Go to both tournaments (is it really gonna hurt?) Then chill and be back on Monday. Taking food/lodging into consideration for only Wednesday-Sunday evening, I thikn you'd come out a lot cheaper. That's at least on the East Coast. I'm not sure how much flights are going to run you from Canada. So it may actually be cheaper for you.

Benefits of the bus:

- You get to chill and do non-smash related things with your buddies for like...two weeks pretty much.

- Comes out possibly cheaper? (I'm not sure what canada's prices are on flights)- This will be the opposite in the cons section

- More time to practice up in smash on the way there. (All those evenings in hotels...gamecubes/wiis and a bunch of smashers...let's do the math)

- You get to see beautiful sights. Probably the biggest benefit next to the first one. Getting to see things that you normally wouldn't had you have taken a plane. Taking a road trip allows you to see the beautiful sights like mountains, structures, etc.

- Possibly becoming better friends. If you don't really know some of your fellow smashers...you probably will now.

- Getting different Gaming in. I'm sure you want to avoid a total smash overload. (in the next section, by the way) So you'll have time to chill with a few other games. You may even start playing one you didn't consider before.

Detriments of the bus:

- Finding the time off. We're talking like...well practically 2 weeks, here. For those of us that work, or may even have schooling that doesn't break in July....it's gonna be hard. Possibly for the young'uns, getting their parents to agree to them being gone for so long. Most might want to accompany which leads to them needing that extra time off, OR finding someone who can go with.

- Comes out more expensive? I'm looking at the math on this...it's most definitely more expensive. Hotels for all those nights...that's crazy.

- Getting to know your fellow smashers. I'm sure that if you don't know them you will, and sometimes....that might not be a good thing.

- The extra baggage. You're going to be gone for almost two weeks...hope you brought enough baggage or are willing to wash some clothes. (Extra costs)

- Downtime. Yeah...10 hours on a bus...you might be alright just talking, but let's be serious...can we really find a way to kill all that downtime for almost 5 days there and back?

- Smash overload. Alright, so people always talk about how they've had enough smash for a weekend, right? With all that smashing you're going to be doing...I don't think I need to finish that.

- The hygiene. Well, I'm not saying that all smashers smell, etc. However, there's no guarantee that all of them are going to be taking showers every single day. Or okay, maybe not to that extreme, but it could be something different. Do you offend? It's just a consideration. It's the summer, it's hot...people sweat.

- The music. Okay, here's a BIG issue. That driver is going to be driving 10 hours a day and probably doesn't want to hear what you have to talk about all 10 hours for that whole time. Is he going to play music you enjoy? More than likely...someone's gonna protest. Hope you're prepared for THAT. (Not everyone is able to listen to all kinds of music and not be utterly annoyed.)

Okay, I think I've milked each section enough. I'm not saying don't do the bust, like I said...it could probably work out for you. However...just be careful. We don't want our fellow smashers to be spending any more than they need to.

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
Alright so new info on the Smash Bus.

- The drivers are legally only allowed to drive 10 hours a day....
- This means we will be covering 650 miles a day and then hitting the hotel for the rest of the night
- This also means it is going to be a 4.5 day crossing from our new pickup point, TORONTO CANADA, into Antioch California

The route has also drastically changed. We will be following the I-80 all the way to California.

I will be working on getting a website up soon to accept payments from those who are interested and it will guarantee your spot on the bus.

The price will be $340 a person in USD.

I need to know if there will be enough interest to have 50 people on this bus. If not the project WILL be canceled.
There's definitely interest from me; as soon as that site goes up I'll be registering :). I'll talk to Zen and Guru as well.

Also does the $340 cover just the bus fare or is there any extra stuff included in that? Just trying to plan out how much cash I'll need.

pockyD

Smash Legend
Benefits of the bus: - You get to see beautiful sights. Probably the biggest benefit next to the first one. Getting to see things that you normally wouldn't had you have taken a plane. Taking a road trip allows you to see the beautiful sights like mountains, structures, etc.
this is the ONLY real benefit, and it's only a semi-benefit, since you probably won't be stopping to actually visit anything, instead only watching it pass through your foggy windows

everything else is something you can do while NOT TRAPPED ON A BUS. need more time to hang out with your fellow smashers? ...You mean MORE than the 3-day event that you're going to? Set it up in a reasonable place instead of a cramped, moving venue, and i assure you everyone will be happier.

Frames

DI
dude yea the bus is sounding less appealing the more i think about it i think i would just want to spend more time in my home state of cali than be on a bus and stuff

turtlecake

Smash Journeyman
Ok so

to frames and pocky

everybody who wants to be on the bus enjoys epic fail. we love it so much, and can't get enough of it

this bus will be awesome for us and fail for you guys

so let us bask in our fail

thank you

Frames

DI
well i think the bus is fine for those people im just sayin personally i would skip the travel and just enjoy cali its like the best state ever if you've never been

Frames

DI
also by taking I-80 only you bypass 99 percent of the south obv its something you can't control im just saying that i know a lot of fl people who are interested in doing it but probably wont be able to make it up there to catch the bus

Niko_K

Smash Master
340 shall include the cost of the bus, and lodging for the entire trip. We are currently looking for other sponsorships and news coverage to help alleviate costs.

Frames

DI
- The music. Okay, here's a BIG issue. That driver is going to be driving 10 hours a day and probably doesn't want to hear what you have to talk about all 10 hours for that whole time. Is he going to play music you enjoy? More than likely...someone's gonna protest. Hope you're prepared for THAT. (Not everyone is able to listen to all kinds of music and not be utterly annoyed.)
actually bus drivers on charter buses don't just play random music they are being paid to drive so they will put up with the noise

pockyD

Smash Legend
Ok so

to frames and pocky

everybody who wants to be on the bus enjoys epic fail. we love it so much, and can't get enough of it

this bus will be awesome for us and fail for you guys

so let us bask in our fail

thank you
i will be basking in your fail

i have 6 months to tune up my told you so dance (and maybe hire backup dancers?) and i will be waiting for the bus to pull up with glee

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
340 shall include the cost of the bus, and lodging for the entire trip. We are currently looking for other sponsorships and news coverage to help alleviate costs.
Awesome, is Bawls sponsoring as well? I had heard something like that a while ago but haven't seen any mention of it in some time.

Tigerb0mbz

Smash Journeyman
put in N64 as a tourny! HONESTLY NOW...its pretty stupid if you guys dnt! for reals though no lie...its like saying lets play MVC2 and not give any cred to fuking street fighter 1!!

pockyD

Smash Legend
yeah i am, but even then, i'm not being silly enough to voluntarily spend 10 days in a bus

edit: also, i assure you not "ALL" of you will be showering :)

take one smelly kid, have 50 people sit in close quarters with him for 10 hours, and it won't matter if you showered either

Linguini

Smash Master
pocky your a douche but i agree with you.
some people just have alot of time and their hands and dont mind the price either.

I personally hate being in a cars for more than 4 hours,and theres no way that bus isnt going to smell like bawls(pun *****es!)

Sensei

Smash Lord
put in N64 as a tourny! HONESTLY NOW...its pretty stupid if you guys dnt! for reals though no lie...its like saying lets play MVC2 and not give any cred to fuking street fighter 1!!
I'm totally for a ssb64 tournament if time allows it, but I understand if it can't be done.
BTW, are ssb64 friendlies allowed on the first day, or is it just melee and brawl?

Also pockyd is hilarious.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Well Niko, the cool thing is that you've got the sponsorship for it. So you really did cut down on the costs. Pray you don't wind up in crappy lodgings. *shudders thinking back to CoT* Like I said, if it's coming out cheaper, that's amazing. I think, however, something like that is a bit harder stateside. I know that for me...it'll be a bit harder to just up and bounce for like 2 weeks. (assuming I have a GOOD job by then). doing a Wednesday to Monday thing is like...more doable for me. Get at me like....July of last year, I'd have told my boss I was gonna peace out for 2 weeks, then bounced, came back, and left again in a few weekends to go to Otakon. He wouldn't have said jack squat about it either except, "Don't ask for any time off in sept. - nov. Which I wouldn't anyway, xD. (Granted, I'd let him know about it MONTHS in advance). Some people will probably be getting jobs if they don't have one already, to pay for this, too.

It seems like you got this, so props to you.

WIGI

Smash Champion
They are currently deciding exactly what they will be sponsoring us with.
yeha iw as wondering how Bawls sponser wilork.. like. UNLIMETED DRINKS?@?@?@ i dunno.

I know for myself i am going to do everything humanly posibly to get on this bus. road trips are su much fun, let along ones with 50 peaople and smash that crosses all of the U.S in places ive never been before. =]

pockyD

Smash Legend
it's an impressive effort for what i consider to be a stupid idea

like someone setting the world record for marshmallows in their mouth or something

The GERM

Smash Ace
i'm just wondering, can anyone from DBR pick Florida up from the airport/house us?
What we most likely will end up doing is this. Since the airport is roughly 1 hour away from Antioch, and there will be lots of people flying in I'm assuming. We will give detailed instructions on how to take the BART train from either SFO or Oakland airport all the way to the Pittsburg station. We will then have constant pickups from the Pittsburg station to the venue which is about 10 minutes away.

The housing situation will be brought up shortly. We are still working out a couple things. Thanks again for your patience guys. We are seriously busting our a** everyday to make sure this tournament goes down in history, and it will.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
I was gonna edit, but I can post.

Thanks HungryBox, and also...you bring up a good point. I don't know how much cab fare in Cali is...but I'm guessing they probably **** your pockets like they do in NY/Tokyo. Even if we have to do a bit of waiting...can we get some kind of rides to where we need to go for our hotels? (assuming there's a case we can't get housing) I'll be 25 this year, but not before the tournament...and I refuse to get ***** on rental car insurance fees.

Edit: Thanks for the info it came up while I was posting, xD

Niko_K

Smash Master
I know for myself i am going to do everything humanly posibly to get on this bus. road trips are so much fun, let along ones with 50 peaople and smash that crosses all of the U.S in places ive never been before. =]
This is the entire point of this trip.

It's far enough ahead that people can book it from work...Though I guarentee I can easily get 50 smashers, even if they are Canadian, ITLL BE TOO MUCH FUN!

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
I hope that everyone who goes on the bus doesn't lose sight and drop important things in their lives...but above all I hope they enjoy the trip :)

as cheesy as it sounds, I kinda wish people at this will have name tags with their...er...tags on them >_>

I remember going to a huge tourney once and there were some obvious names that I already knew but there were some I intended to play/meet but, I don't know...there were 100+ people there so it was tough to meet EVERYONE and play them...I don't know if I'm making sense or if anyone else has experienced the same thing...but I hate it when you look at the results/shoutouts thread and then say "OMG ______, you were there?!?! gahhh I've been wanting to play you for so long!"

pockyD

Smash Legend
post 2000!

epic post for an epic tournament

edit: name tags are definitely a good idea, though since it's 3 days long, i'd recommend something like badges instead of the traditional sticker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom