• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom Robo's Holosseum Champion - Ray for Smash Switch!

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
It shows additional life than just active postage, and attracting more members who remain active is always a plus. Regardless, I do not think the original thread owner is active...at least at the present time.

For now our best options are to:

- Remain active here.
- Show support more openly (via way of signatures and the sort...hijacking other threads not-so-much.)

Last edited:

Gran-Rojo

Smash Cadet
As far as transferring ownership of the thread, I couldn't say I'd know. I doubt that it would be possible, just as I doubt that we'd be able to make a new thread (avoiding duplicates and all that). Not that a new thread is truly needed, though the ability to update the front page and title would be nice features for certain. Even if this leak is true, that would mean Ray-01 has DLC potential...and I do believe I read somewhere that the newcomer section may reorganize upon knowing the base roster fully so...That might be our chance if that does indeed occur?

EDIT: Oh. I broke 100 posts. Most of them in here.
Alright, that sounds like a good opportunity during the DLC time period. A lot of users in other support threads might be looking for the next character to support once their character makes it in. I'm thinking Isaac supporters in particular since both of our characters come from dead franchises and were popular picks before Brawl (when their franchises actually had recent releases). Not to mention both characters had assist trophies in Brawl that did not return for Smash 4.

If you get the thread owner's approval, a mod can Switch ownership. Regardless, I dont think it will make much of a difference. A title and OP dont really matter all that much
Well speaking for myself as someone who mostly lurked the site in the past, I feel like the thread titles help spread quick information without having to actually click on them. The Dixie Kong thread, for example, lets me know that Isabelle's inclusion as a semi-clone rather than an echo helps Dixie's chances of being a semi-clone herself. I was able to figure that out by reading their title that simply states "Thank You Isabelle".

If we had a title about the trademark, that might stop the spread of misinformation and maybe have more people coming into the thread to learn about it.

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Well I disagree with you all, but if f you all believe it'll make a difference hit up the thread owner and a mod and stop speculating about what will happen. Not trying to be rude, but thread titles only mean anything when the thread manages to stay active anyway imo.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
In the end, I'm still at the middle ground when it comes to titles. That the thread owner has not been active for seven months makes the venture a pointless one; maintaining activity here is paramount above all else.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Not trying to be rude, but thread titles only mean anything when the thread manages to stay active anyway imo.
Hey, this is the most active we've ever been! I resent that! /s

But fair enough. I suppose we can just inform anyone who decides to enter.

Back on topic, if a CR rep got in, do you think there'd be a commander off to the side, Pokemon trainer style?

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
Hey, this is the most active we've ever been! I resent that! /s

But fair enough. I suppose we can just inform anyone who decides to enter.

Back on topic, if a CR rep got in, do you think there'd be a commander off to the side, Pokemon trainer style?
I'd rather it just be Ray tbh

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
If there were a Commander, I'd only have them appear in the victory pose; show them holding a robo cube.

...But even then, I think it'd be better to just have Ray-01 do their victory poses from the game...Which...uh...I guess are also the taunts...? What would the taunts be if they were different?

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
If there were a Commander, I'd only have them appear in the victory pose; show them holding a robo cube.

...But even then, I think it'd be better to just have Ray-01 do their victory poses from the game...Which...uh...I guess are also the taunts...? What would the taunts be if they were different?
now that's a good question. The victory poses for Ray 01 are great and should probably stay as such. Since we can't have a soul boost final smash anymore, what about as a taunt similar to Lucina's mask? Like, goes soulboost and then changes right back?

As an aside, I actually miss the install style final smashes. Characters like Lil' Mac and Wario are worse off for it.

Edit: another should def be turning into a robo-cube for a second then changing back.

Last edited:

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Hmm...could take some of Ray-01's taunts from other Robos, such as the 'Glory Dance' from the gamecube game, maybe the salute from Halberd or any Ray-pose variants from the other games...A good amount of options from Robos of similar build.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
THERE HE IS. THERE HE ****ING IS. IT'S NOT DEAD YET BOYS.

I'M LIVING, THIS IS WAY MORE THAN I WAS EXPECTING. AND PIRANHA PLANT IS MAKING PEOPLE MAD. THIS IS THE BEST TIMELINE.

Zoljinx_

Smash Apprentice
Honestly we got alot more than i was thinking we would. the amount of custom robo Spirits i saw was very reassuring, and the Mii Costume looks really good.

good on everyone expressing their interest in Custom Robo to get some degree of representation.

I'm maining Piranha Plant tho.

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
At least Custom Robo got some recognition. I'm glad we got a Mii Costume, it looks pretty good.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Sorry you guys did not get a Smash Fighter. I thought he would have made a cool character.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
THERE HE IS. THERE HE ****ING IS. IT'S NOT DEAD YET BOYS.

I'M LIVING, THIS IS WAY MORE THAN I WAS EXPECTING. AND PIRANHA PLANT IS MAKING PEOPLE MAD. THIS IS THE BEST TIMELINE.
Why are you happy people are mad?

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
Sorry you guys did not get a Smash Fighter. I thought he would have made a cool character.
Bold of you to assume we're upset. I mean, I agree he'd be cool, but it'd be silly to assume he was ever gonna get in. This is way more than any CR fan was expecting

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
...How does his comment imply we're upset?

---------

Also this is around the level of representation I was hoping we'd get at the start! Multiple Spirits (I approve of the Spirits Mode, too), and even a Mii Gunner costume! Plus, this also shows Ray MKlll, and not Ray-01. Different characters so, while limited, there is a chance for entering the fray proper...Though Mii Costumes can also be of playable fighters, as we saw with the Captain Falcon one at the store...

So...hilariously enough, Custom Robo's playable fighter chance has only go up dramatically.

This would be around the time we'd edit the thread title, too.

Last edited:

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
...How does his comment imply we're upset?

---------

Also this is around the level of representation I was hoping we'd get at the start! Multiple Spirits (I approve of the Spirits Mode, too), and even a Mii Gunner costume! Plus, this also shows Ray MKlll, and not Ray-01. Different characters so, while limited, there is a chance for entering the fray proper...Though Mii Costumes can also be of playable fighters, as we saw with the Captain Falcon one at the store...

So...hilariously enough, Custom Robo's playable fighter chance has only go up dramatically.

This would be around the time we'd edit the thread title, too.
The part where he said sorry. There's no need to apologize! We in this!

----------

Wouldn't that be the end all be all? Ray 01 as a playable character, a bunch of spirits and a costume, hell, bring back the assist trophy too.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Ah, I see. I'd still say any shared camaraderie on this day between groups is a welcome thing. Shame about all the other fighters who did not get in (and cue the annoying people yelling about what theories were and were not correct, yadda yadda) or received a harder deconfirmation in the final moments (I.E. Issac).

...but I'm still laughing at how much of a chance any Ray series member, MKlll or Ray-01, has if a Pirahna Plant can get in (The salt in the wounds alone is divine).

Last edited:

Gran-Rojo

Smash Cadet
Even though the leak has been disconfirmed, this direct has been very kind to the Custom Robo franchise. We got a Ray mk II spirit and a Ray mk III mii costume. There was also a spirit for Flare from the original Custom Robo, which means we could be getting more Spirits like X-Ray or the original Ray.

Best of all? Ray 01 was nowhere to be found, meaning that he still has a shot as a fighter. I'm not going to get my hopes too high because I know he's not very likely compared to other selections, but the possibility exists.

Personally, the best thing for me about all of this is that it serves as undeniable proof that Nintendo is still interested in using the franchise.
Custom Robo Lives!

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
That's right! Now EVERYONE can be fully aware that Nintendo has NOT lost its rights to Custom Robo as a whole!

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
The part where he said sorry. There's no need to apologize! We in this!

----------

Wouldn't that be the end all be all? Ray 01 as a playable character, a bunch of spirits and a costume, hell, bring back the assist trophy too.
It is my response when a character many people wanted did not get in. I honestly believe that Ray would make a cool character.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOD~!

That last direct had so much emotion. Happiness, despair, hope, anger and above all, hype.

This game is getting so much attention and I am loving it.

That new Adventure mode got me just as if not more hype than with some characters, lol.

BTW, OUR BOI RAY IS ALIVE. AS A MII COSTUME BUT STIL~!

The rumors of the trademark being dead have been destroyed. This brings light into his case both for the series and for a possibility of anything in the distant future. Any attention is good.

DLC Or otherwise, things look good for our favorite customizable colorful robot and aso for Ultimate as a whole.

As the meme phrase goes (despite salt, rage and hype), this is the good timeline~

Battiest Badger

Smash Cadet
Honestly, the fact that Ray is a Mii costume is exactly what Sakurai and Nintendo needed to do to actually get me to play as one of the Mii characters. I'm sure there are people who love them, but with a roster full of All-Star characters, I've never really given the Miis any consideration. Now I'll at least dabble with them once in a while.

Obviously would've been nice to get the real thing, but this is more representation than I was expecting.

Last edited:

Q-Long

Smash Lord
Isaac is dead. That's one of the big three early 2000s Nintendo series alongside Advance Wars and Golden Sun.

So I'm hoping, out of no where, we get Ray and a new CR game.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Ahoy folks, I'm back from an eight hour stint testing Fallout 76! It was a long and buggy trip, but I spent a lot of it thinking about the Smash Direct. I can only imagine how the forums have erupted since I stepped away; anger over who was or was not right with their theories and rumors, frustration that X character did not get in before a (not even a specific one) Pirahna Plant (I'm still laughing at that one, though). But, most of all, all the people giving up hope on their characters while our's continues to shine on. A shame that they're giving up so soon into the fight...even though some have more reason that others to do so.

I mention all of this because its nice to see folks stepping up in here, regulars and newcomers both, keeping up the faith. Good on you lot, I'm proud!

------------

During my stroll down country roads, I started reflecting on the continued chance for a Ray character. There's all the other information that I've brought up in the past (be it shutting down the copyright issue and dismissing the concept of relevancy), but I've been thinking more about the concept of evidence towards continued Custom Robo presence in Ultimate. We have, of course, at least two spirits for customizing our fighters...but we also have the mii costume. This isn't much, as people had been saying the same thing about Skull Kid (who hasn't been dis-confirmed yet, for you SK fans - Keep the faith!), but it should be noted that already playable characters have mii costume variants as well...and that a costume on the miis does not inherently omit a character from being playable. Had we seen a Custom Robo assist trophy, we would likely have a reduced chance of an actual fighter (even if the Ray models are different); While possible, we have no evidence towards the possibility of Assist Trophies being patched out of the game to be made fully playable.

...To those Issac fans reading this: Just because Issac is out doesn't mean you can't get Matthew! He's a different character of the same premise, and his design is pretty rad to be honest! Keep the faith!

------------

Then there's the notion of that toy mech that Sakurai was stated to have bought for research for his game. The show the toy is from is about kids who have to fight by piloting mechs, which isn't as big a stretch compared to Custom Robo's premise; kids 'diving' into a robo to control it. Based on the color scheme, many people associated it with Mach Rider due to the colors and head shape...but the thing about those assembled mech toys is that the parts can often be transplanted onto another frame, allowing you to customize your own mech or - if you will - robo. Does this mean that Sakurai bought this toy for a reference in designing the custom robo mii costume? Does this mean Sakurai is looking at the notion of a fully playable Ray for smash?

Or...does this purchase have nothing to do with Smash? It wasn't stated that he was doing this for Smash...though that's most likely what it was for. We're going into crazy territory on this one but, hey, we're here to keep up the faith - and there's no one else I'd put faith in for the next Custom Robo than ol' Sakurai!

------------

Someone remind me to compile our evidence and information in a post somewhere, should it come to be that we have to make a new thread due to any potential reformatting the forums go under post-direct.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Ahoy folks, I'm back from an eight hour stint testing Fallout 76! It was a long and buggy trip, but I spent a lot of it thinking about the Smash Direct. I can only imagine how the forums have erupted since I stepped away; anger over who was or was not right with their theories and rumors, frustration that X character did not get in before a (not even a specific one) Pirahna Plant (I'm still laughing at that one, though). But, most of all, all the people giving up hope on their characters while our's continues to shine on. A shame that they're giving up so soon into the fight...even though some have more reason that others to do so.

I mention all of this because its nice to see folks stepping up in here, regulars and newcomers both, keeping up the faith. Good on you lot, I'm proud!

------------

During my stroll down country roads, I started reflecting on the continued chance for a Ray character. There's all the other information that I've brought up in the past (be it shutting down the copyright issue and dismissing the concept of relevancy), but I've been thinking more about the concept of evidence towards continued Custom Robo presence in Ultimate. We have, of course, at least two spirits for customizing our fighters...but we also have the mii costume. This isn't much, as people had been saying the same thing about Skull Kid (who hasn't been dis-confirmed yet, for you SK fans - Keep the faith!), but it should be noted that already playable characters have mii costume variants as well...and that a costume on the miis does not inherently omit a character from being playable. Had we seen a Custom Robo assist trophy, we would likely have a reduced chance of an actual fighter (even if the Ray models are different); While possible, we have no evidence towards the possibility of Assist Trophies being patched out of the game to be made fully playable.

...To those Issac fans reading this: Just because Issac is out doesn't mean you can't get Matthew! He's a different character of the same premise, and his design is pretty rad to be honest! Keep the faith!

------------

Then there's the notion of that toy mech that Sakurai was stated to have bought for research for his game. The show the toy is from is about kids who have to fight by piloting mechs, which isn't as big a stretch compared to Custom Robo's premise; kids 'diving' into a robo to control it. Based on the color scheme, many people associated it with Mach Rider due to the colors and head shape...but the thing about those assembled mech toys is that the parts can often be transplanted onto another frame, allowing you to customize your own mech or - if you will - robo. Does this mean that Sakurai bought this toy for a reference in designing the custom robo mii costume? Does this mean Sakurai is looking at the notion of a fully playable Ray for smash?

Or...does this purchase have nothing to do with Smash? It wasn't stated that he was doing this for Smash...though that's most likely what it was for. We're going into crazy territory on this one but, hey, we're here to keep up the faith - and there's no one else I'd put faith in for the next Custom Robo than ol' Sakurai!

------------

Someone remind me to compile our evidence and information in a post somewhere, should it come to be that we have to make a new thread due to any potential reformatting the forums go under post-direct.
That's nice and all; but we don't really want Matthew. We want Isaac.

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
That's nice and all; but we don't really want Matthew. We want Isaac.
Nah I'm actually cool with any GS Rep, be it Isaac, Matthew or Felix.

Question guys! As you may have seen, I'm from Europe and we only ever got CR Arena which was a great experience! But Ich would like to know how the GameCube title was since that one at least made it to NA. I'm interested in knowing how Custom Robo worked on a proper home console.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
BTW, can I just say that it's STILL really throwing me for a loop right now that Galeem (Smash Ultimate's Thanos main antagonist) wiped out the ENTIRE Nintendo multiverse AND its inhabitants? Including EVERYONE from Custom Robo? Galeem didn't even leave the obscure folks alive! It's inconceivable...

Last edited:

Gran-Rojo

Smash Cadet

------------

------------

Skull kid is confirmed to be an assist trophy :/.
That toy mech is one of the most perplexing pieces of the Smash Ultimate puzzle. I'm leaning towards it meaning nothing, but hopefully it is referring to Ray.

It would be a good idea to take that post regarding the trademark you posted earlier and the moveset information we have been discussing as well if a new thread is going to be made.

Question guys! As you may have seen, I'm from Europe and we only ever got CR Arena which was a great experience! But Ich would like to know how the GameCube title was since that one at least made it to NA. I'm interested in knowing how Custom Robo worked on a proper home console.
Custom Robo on Gamecube is my personal favorite. Gameplay wise, the CR games are fairly similar with the big differences being in the parts available for customization. The biggest differences between the games are the stories and the writing, which I believe that CR gamecube does better than the others. I prefer the more adult setting (working as a bounty hunter) in the gamecube version over the "kid going to school" setting that the other games have. I also love the reactions you can get from the other characters (particularly Harry and Ernest) when you go with one of the sassy responses that the protagonist can choose.

Last edited:

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
Gran-Rojo Gran-Rojo

Okay thanks man! That sounds pretty good. I always thought that there's so much more potential for Custom Robo than just having an ordinary "going to school" story that Arena had. Gotta resist watching a walkthrough on Youtube now to avoid getting sad that the franchise is dead.

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman

I think the thing I love most about Custom Robo: Battle Revolution over the other entries is the general art designs. When it comes to the human characters, their designs are...honestly terrible. I mean - Look at Harry. Look. Look with your special eyes. He looks like his mom or older sister dressed him up for pre-school one day and he just never took those clothes off, causing them to stretch and wear down over the years. He's kind of disgusting to look at, and it fits his character perfectly. It's great. Some of the other main cast are a little on the over designed side, I mean- Look at the protagonist and then look at his not-love-interest. But Harry's Sister is an obvious 10/10 Fight me on this one, you scientist lady and villain twin lovers! Their mugshots can look pretty bad; like something out of an old Deviantart account (See my avatar even if its a recreation). But its all charming...Just-LOOK AT THE SECONDARY VILLAIN. HE LOOKS LIKE HE TRIPPED HIS WAY OUT OF HOT TOPIC THEN TOOK A LEFT AT THE YU-GI-OH CONVENTION. HE'S PERFECT. Here are some other great (in varying degrees of Good, Bad, and Hilarious) character design highlights. (That last one is pretty bad, huh? His name is actually 'Evil'.)

But then we get to the robos. Let's compare how custom robos look in the older games using this Brawl trophy for graphic fidelity. They look like humans in costumes, right? Not bad, but you don't really look at them and think 'That's a robot alright'. Now let's look at how they look in Battle Revolution. I like to be believe that there's a good reason why typing in 'Custom Robo Ray' into google gives you the render for Ray-01. There are no 'human-looking' robos inside Battle Revolution; while some are clearly human proportioned or inspired, the only three to be really human-esque would be the vague skin coloring on Ray-01, it's illegal variant, but primarily the unlockable Ray Legend...this is how the original Ray (Ray Legend) looks in Battle Revolution's graphic style and it bothers me greatly. I think the best example of how much this game stands out from the pack is in comparing the Metal Bear Robo Frame:

Here is the version seen in the other games.
Here's Custom Robo Battle Revolution's. (Bonus points that you can see the original inside BR's design)

Both games have their own art style, yes...but when you introduce Custom Robo fans in the west to the series through this cinematic? Cue hype...but yeah, it's gonna leave an impression. Also, for comparison, here's the commercial for Custom Robo: Arena. It's the closest similar thing Arena has.

-------------

Story-wise, the game shifted to a 'Go save the world' bit from a 'Kids battle to become the best'. The story itself is about as much 'dumb fun' as the characters are in their design though, like in other Custom Robo games, the story does get a little dark here or there...a little more in the case of Battle Revolution considering...you know...the extermination of all mankind save for a select few in a dome city fighting some dark godlike entity of destruction.

"...But Harry's different! He's different and I refuse to accept him!!" has to be my favorite line in the game. That idiot never catches a break and I love it.

-------------

Gameplay is what you expect, though Revolution had some refinements here or there to the formula. It's good gameplay at its core, that's all there is to say on that front. The reliable and comfortable gamecube controller and the prospect of a larger screen makes the game more enjoyable overall, especially combined with some fun new weapon parts and a pretty bangin' 80's-style synthetic soundtrack.

-------------

...Despite all this talk about art style, though? I do like Ray MKlll; it's my second favorite Ray Model not just because it takes after Ray-01 in appearing more robotic, but because it's design was made much simpler...Let's be honest; Ray-01 is kinda cluttered.

Last edited:

Nauzgo

Smash Journeyman
Rayleigh Rayleigh

Omg thanks for all that information. It seems like Battle Revolution is more interesting than Arena. Now I feel like watching a whole goddamn walkthrough.

It's great to see someone being so passionate about a game or series respectively! You should use this post and your energy as advertisement for this thread and the franchise as a whole.

A new Custom Robo would make me scream. Just imagine how extra super odd those already super stupid character models would look with Switch graphics.

FunAtParties

NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I want nothing to do with Matthew. Isaac, maybe Felix, but not Matthew.

Last edited:

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
Rayleigh Rayleigh

Omg thanks for all that information. It seems like Battle Revolution is more interesting than Arena. Now I feel like watching a whole goddamn walkthrough.

It's great to see someone being so passionate about a game or series respectively! You should use this post and your energy as advertisement for this thread and the franchise as a whole.

A new Custom Robo would make me scream. Just imagine how extra super odd those already super stupid character models would look with Switch graphics.
I would certainly recommend taking a gander (Youtubers such as Alpharad have done playthroughs), or looking back a page or two ago to all the music we were linking to in our posts! Even in the more 'mature' Battle Revolution, the game was always about being quirky good fun...so the the prospect of a portable entry on the Nintendo Switch is a tantalizing though, especially if it got the Smash Amiibo Support. Not so much one for each robo frame (with modifiable parts...that'd be a little too crazy for a reviving franchise), but a Robo Cube amiibo that let you train your own robo to fight against yourself or pit against your friend's robo in a 1v1 extravaganza. It'd be like the poke walker or those other game accessories that Nintendo has done...but, you know...pretty hype, if you ask me.

In terms of passion and advertisement? That's what we're all doing right here and now. Just have to keep on talking, and keep on keeping the faith.

Gran-Rojo

Smash Cadet
Rayleigh Rayleigh

I would really recommend importing the game and finding a way to bypass the region lock and playing it yourself, it really is worth the hassle. If not, finding a longplay online would be a decent substitute I suppose.

I think the thing I love most about Custom Robo: Battle Revolution over the other entries is the general art designs. When it comes to the human characters, their designs are...honestly terrible. I mean - Look at Harry. Look. Look with your special eyes. He looks like his mom or older sister dressed him up for pre-school one day and he just never took those clothes off, causing them to stretch and wear down over the years. He's kind of disgusting to look at, and it fits his character perfectly. It's great. Some of the other main cast are a little on the over designed side, I mean- Look at the protagonist and then look at his not-love-interest. But Harry's Sister is an obvious 10/10 Fight me on this one, you scientist lady and villain twin lovers! Their mugshots can look pretty bad; like something out of an old Deviantart account (See my avatar even if its a recreation). But its all charming...Just-LOOK AT THE SECONDARY VILLAIN. HE LOOKS LIKE HE TRIPPED HIS WAY OUT OF HOT TOPIC THEN TOOK A LEFT AT THE YU-GI-OH CONVENTION. HE'S PERFECT. Here are some other great (in varying degrees of Good, Bad, and Hilarious) character design highlights. (That last one is pretty bad, huh? His name is actually 'Evil'.)

...Despite all this talk about art style, though? I do like Ray MKlll; it's my second favorite Ray Model not just because it takes after Ray-01 in appearing more robotic, but because it's design was made much simpler...Let's be honest; Ray-01 is kinda cluttered.
Custom Robo human designs are always awkward looking and terrible with some being worse than others, but I prefer the Battle Revolution designs since they are the most memorable to me. They have a strange futuristic appeal rather than just looking like knockoff anime characters. The in-game models are really bad, but the personality in some of the character portraits more than make up for it (even if their artwork does look pretty bad at times).

I agree with your thoughts on Ray 01 as well, I always thought that he had a bit too much going on in his design and prefer the simplicity of the other Rays. However, I noticed that Ray 01 looks actually pretty good in the cinematic when compared to his in-game models, which is why I feel Smash would be able to pull his look off if he made it as a fighter.

I've included some pics for comparison:

Ray 01 in intro- I feel that Ray 01 look great in this shot because you don't see a lot of his protruding spikes that clutter his design (mainly his shoulders).

Ray 01 intro close up- Same thing here. Ray 01 looks great up close and with high production values.

Ray 01 in-game model- Now compare that to his in game model and you can see where his design gets a bit cluttered. Spikes and mixtures of blue and red everywhere.

Ray Mk III vs. Ray 01- Standing side by side, you can see how Mk III has a more effective design that leaves a longer impression on the player due to its simplicity.

AceZTeller

Smash Apprentice
As a bit of a note, do we have a link to the competitive discord anywhere on here? Its probably the most active place for casual dicussion for custom robo. And besides that, you can learn some of the intracacies of comp CR (buzz lightyear is currently running rampant)

Rayleigh

Smash Journeyman
There's a discord? (Avatar related).

------------

Returning to the Ray-01 vs Ray MKlll design concepts, we do get to see them both in the same game. Thankfully, Arena blesses us with Ray-01 as a secret unlockable! The following links will provide the photo comparison between Ray-01 and Ray MKlll. As you can see, when put into the same style, Ray-01 is still arguably the most complex...but, oddly enough? It works here. It's not as detailed as in the normal render, which works in his favor! Plus, they also took a few liberties in terms of coloration and trimming that makes him stand out as a special character yet fitting with the different art style.

And, for completion's sake, I'll give you the links to all the other Ray Models done in the Custom Robo Arena-style:
  • Ray (The original Ray, AKA Ray Legend of Battle Revolution)
  • Ray MKll
  • Ray MKll Dark (Illegally-Modified Ray MKll)
  • X-Ray
  • Ray Sky
  • AIRS (Military-Grade Ray Sky)
  • Ray Warrior (Illegally-Modified Ray-01...its the only Ray Model to not appear in Custom Robo Arena)
------------

Something else I'd like to mention is that Ray Legend in Custom Robo Battle Revolution is smaller than Ray-01 and Ray Warrior, and acts more like a Little Raider model. In general, the designs of Custom Robo feel...grander. It's why I believe that (besides the fact a small, projectile-oriented fighter would be very annoying to face) Ray-01 would be around the height of other humanoid characters (Such as Snake, Link, or Samus as shown in a few game mods) versus, say, being around Pikachu or Olimar's height.

Last edited:
Top Bottom