• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom Moveset Project Releases Summer 2015 Edition

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
Please guys, let's not turn this into a war. Even if certain players hate customs, they deserve their opinions.

Player response has been highly negative by the ones actively going to tournaments. I see your join date is literally not even a year old so I understand your lack of information.

Side note: CEO (A major) is not running customs.

:018:
We already see KTAR is adopting them, Xanadu is adopting them, Shockwave has them, probably only a matter of time before SmashCon allows them.

Last edited:

ThatAintFalcon

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4296-3957-9894
I think customs make matches a lot more fun to watch...also, characters who generally struggle in the metagame (donkey kong, ganondorf) will go from bottom tier to mid-tier. (Of course, matchups are a lot more important than tiers, but it would be nice to see those on the bottom being more competitively viable)

Soul.

While it's true that customs add variety to the game, there could be some problems with them. Although they can be fixed.... somewhat.
The big thing for Smash 4 is the custom moves themselves, so yeah.
Just respect others' opinions.

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
I think customs make matches a lot more fun to watch...also, characters who generally struggle in the metagame (donkey kong, ganondorf) will go from bottom tier to mid-tier. (Of course, matchups are a lot more important than tiers, but it would be nice to see those on the bottom being more competitively viable)
Dk was never bottom teir please don't go to event hubs as if it's a credible source.

ThatAintFalcon

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4296-3957-9894
All the players want is change. Evo will be the first big custom tournament, an experiment if you will. I know some customs are basically piles of salt but it has to be tried at least once. Customs will create an entirely different metagame like nothing ever seen in smash, and I am very excited to see how it turns out regardless of the copious amounts of sodium.

-no Johns!

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
IIRC there's a custom national before EVO? Can't remember the name though

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
I know, he's quite good but he's so much better with customs. I got my info from here. What is event hubs?
eventhubs was the place that came out withthe most garbage tier list in existance and tried to place it as fact. DK was at the very bottom of the list somehow.
But anywho you have been misled Dk is high mid
Arguably top with customs.

ThatAintFalcon

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4296-3957-9894

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Everyone, stop arguing. I know what we need to all calm down.

Yoshi. :4yoshi:

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
It's because customs are highly unbalanced. Some customs are just flat out absurd while others just suck.

Based on what? They've been used in tournaments so far and nothing game breaking has been seen. What are you seeing that top level smash players aren't?

Kurogal

Smash Apprentice
United States of America - State of California
NNID
LaharlOnKonata
Player response has been highly negative by the ones actively going to tournaments. I see your join date is literally not even a year old so I understand your lack of information.
Oh, boy! A dismissive (account) ageist response to try and avoid having to back up your side of the debate with more solid proof than a statement that players don't like it and just one Major not running it.
(The main reasons for CEO not wanting to mostly came from an misunderstanding about how customs work as well, although in the end it's the TO's choice of what he want's at his tourney regardless.)

And clearly, a users join date on smashboards is the definitive proof of how long a user has been in the community and all users that have accounts under a year old are uninformed and bad- oh wait.
No, @-6WX- exists.

Although I will say that it shouldn't be surprising that at least most active competitive players are against customs, at least initially, with exceptions like @ChileZeRo who are for them.
Customs are a new, unknown element to competitive play that adds and changes many variables.
It's not that odd that competitive players who live off of that tourney money wouldn't like something jeopardizing what were formerly perfectly consistent odds.

The competitive Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare community is going through a semi-similar issue right now because it was decided that MLG will be using DLC maps now (and guns too, but they they don't matter at all because they're worse than the current top guns in vanilla).
And while that DLC has been out for months (and has been given for free to most competitive players associated with MLG, and plenty even outside of MLG at the launch of the DLC), they're still complaining super hardcore about having to learn "new maps" all of a sudden two weeks from a major tourney.
While it's true that short time frame for the announcement is a bit of a bit of a problem since it is true that it's as unlikely that that they studied DLC maps like Drift all since they dismissed it as a stage they'll never play on, (and Drift specifically is semi dynamic so it might not be good for competitive), they have to adapt quickly to new things anyway and in the end it will probably be better for that competitive scene in the long run.
And that's obviously far from the worst some other games get in terms of short adaption times before a major tourney, such as those that get DLC or even release a week or less before a tourney.
Pretty much, what I'm trying to say is that an initial bad reaction to a sudden injection of a new element into competitive play from competitive players should be expected and given time before any community wide calls are made.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
From the first time I saw this in the Smashboards news seeing Brawl / PM's Game and Watch and it said "Custom Move Project", I thought people found a way to put custom moves in. Bah it's only for future Smash 4 tournaments but that's cool eitherway!

The Yakamo X

Smash Rookie
I just look at it as more variety to playstyle and more viability given to some of the lesser characters in the roster.
If it was Custom Equipment I would have a lot of problems, but that would dumb. Custom moves are different story tho. That's just me, but I'm hype for them.

Last edited:

Seiniyta

Smash Cadet
It's because customs are highly unbalanced. Some customs are just flat out absurd while others just suck.

Some default specials are amazing whilst some other just suck. That's a fact that doesn't change with customs on or off.

Furthermore, instead of whining about them being broken? Why not prove that they are broken? A great player like you should easily be able to win a Xanadu with a 'broken' custom move enabled character right?

Has so far total randoms won a Xanadu or other tournament which had custom moves on? Not as far as I know. What we HAVE seen are players who mained characters that aren't considered top tier without custom moves place way higher wiht custom moves because their character gain a lot with them.

With how 'broken' some moves people seem to perceive them. We haven't seen a villager with the tripping custom win, or even get to GF yet.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Any reason why Wario's suction bite is there? the Wario's didn't agree to it.
@TheReflexWonder advocated very clearly for Vacuum Bite when we were reviewing the community decisions. As one of the best and most informed Wario players, he could articulate the utility of the move far better than I.

The vast majority of the review process was making sure nothing was overlooked, and no voices were excluded. The result of the Smashboards subforum discussions were almost always the final result, even if we disagreed.

thehard

Smash Lord
NNID
Barbecutie
Although I will say that it shouldn't be surprising that at least most active competitive players are against customs
ZeRo, M2K, Nairo, DKWill, Dabuz, 6WX, Boss, AeroLink, JohnNumbers, MikeKirby, Nyani, Chibo, Bwett, Oracle, D1 and many others are all for customs though (let me know if I'm mistaken on any one of these)

Last edited:

Kurogal

Smash Apprentice
United States of America - State of California
NNID
LaharlOnKonata
ZeRo, M2K, Nairo, DKWill, Dabuz, 6WX, Boss, AeroLink, JohnNumbers, MikeKirby, Nyani, Chibo, Bwett, Oracle, D1 and many others are all for customs though (let me know if I'm mistaken on any one of these)
I somehow forgot that DKWill was a supporter even when I had a conversation with him about customs on YouTube a day ago.

And I though M2K was still deciding on what he thinks about customs, did he make a statement about it somewhere that I missed?
I guess I should look it up now along with comments, posts, or statements from everyone else some time.

I also honestly though Nairo hated customs, but it might have also been just Miis that he didn't like (I though he said they were annoying during some tournament where the casters were eating popcorn while casting).
Or maybe I'm just confusing him with somebody who didn't like it who's name also starts with N besides Nakat.

Oh, and this might seem like a random question, but is there a single place where were list the sources of all competitive players that are for customs?
Because if there isn't I might try making a thread about it somewhere to make a single, giant argument for customs from top players, and maybe a post in the same topic for those against customs just to compare arguments.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I somehow forgot that DKWill was a supporter even when I had a conversation with him about customs on YouTube a day ago.

And I though M2K was still deciding on what he thinks about customs, did he make a statement about it somewhere that I missed?
I guess I should look it up now along with comments, posts, or statements from everyone else some time.

I also honestly though Nairo hated customs, but it might have also been just Miis that he didn't like (I though he said they were annoying during some tournament where the casters were eating popcorn while casting).
Or maybe I'm just confusing him with somebody who didn't like it who's name also starts with N besides Nakat.

Oh, and this might seem like a random question, but is there a single place where were list the sources of all competitive players that are for customs?
Because if there isn't I might try making a thread about it somewhere to make a single, giant argument for customs from top players, and maybe a post in the same topic for those against customs just to compare arguments.
I remember a while ago M2k said on stream that he was Neutral about customs.

But that was a while ago, I don't know if his opinions have changed or not.

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717

Customs will allow for more variety, and thus make games actually exciting. Broken customs will obviously not be allowed, or at the very least, will require moves to help justify how good it is. Like for example, you could be expecting Zelda to use Farore's Wind. But instead, she uses Farore's Squall to gimp you and abuse the invincable-frame-cancel-reset thing. So sure you don't have to worry about it directly killing you, but now you have to keep in mind that this is not a run of the mill Zelda. This Zelda will be fighting you differently.

Of course, some players will whine and go "omg that's so bad tho!" Probably because they practiced matchups and take gaming too seriously. But that's fine. We all can't be masters at adapting to different fighting styles and moves. Although... Those players should probably really not have a say since their hate stems from... Something? I don't know really. It's almost as nonsensical as hating big clothes stores simply because they are big. "So much variety! All I want is plain styles and plain colors! I am only prepared to choose between the plain stuff! All this variety is bad! OOOOOOOOOOMMMMMGGGGGG!"

Yikarur

Smash Master
Having so many Mii Sets is so flawed. Who wants to set-up that? 10 per Mii Char would've been enough.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I doubt a majority of tournaments are going to start running customs. Who says TO's have to follow this model? They do not have to run customs. It's entirely choice.

I dunno about your region, but in mine, a majority of tournaments do run customs, the tournament goers love them, and my city's biggest TO for smash 4 events (DeLux) is a big believer. No one has to do anything and I do not aspire to force anyone to play any games they don't want to play, but I strongly believe that customs on represents a significantly better game and represents the true will of the community. This is congruent with all experiences I've had both online (customs poll at 80% approval consistently) and in my interactions at actual tournaments which I attend weekly. I can certainly attest, as an active member of the smash 4 competitive scene, that I very, very strongly believe in customs.

What happened to the universal 2222 and 3333 setups?

I'm sad...
Due to EVO's non-support for on the spot uploading of sets, we wanted to make sure we used all 10 slots as optimally as possible.

Having so many Mii Sets is so flawed. Who wants to set-up that? 10 per Mii Char would've been enough.
I will just say that the Mii Fighters represented a large challenge to us for a variety of reasons and that we did the best we could to make sure these characters would end up being worthwhile for the people who want to play them. I could say a lot more about Mii Fighters and their... difficult situation in the current tournament going culture, but it would be a bit much for the comment section of a news article.

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace

Sounds like the regular specials. Moreover its pretty obvious customs make for a more varied metagame, allowing more characters to compete with the top. So please, just because customs are not balanced doesn't mean they wont make the game more balanced. They do.

Last edited:

Hippieslayer

Smash Ace

Side note: CEO (A major) is not running customs.

Yeah bunch of top players whining because they arent gonna be top anymore unless they put in effort and learn this new thing.

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
Sweet! Customs should be allowed in tournaments, for sure. They can completely change a character.
Nice to see my Dr. Mario setup (1311) made it. I honestly think regular Megavitamins are underrated. I find myself more comfortable with them, and Fast Capsules just can't be used the way I use Megavitamins.

Honestly, though, people should really be allowed to make their own Custom sets. I feel like its alienating people who use Customs that aren't in the line-up. I mean, what if there's a really good Custom set-up that we never get to see in action because tournaments don't have them?

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
FINALLY SOME CUSTOM LOVE!

Forever Olimar with the OP Slam Jam pikmin. (It calls Pikmin Tackle.)

Waluigi is too big

Smash Journeyman
NNID
waluigi44
lol wait, so individuals aren't even allowed to use the customs they want? They have to pick from pre-established sets?
Wow, this project sucks.
you can, you just need to upload them on your 3DS or make them on the console.

Top Bottom