• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom Moveset Project Releases Summer 2015 Edition

THERyanP7

Smash Apprentice
A dude who hardly plays smash 4 beat Nairo using a troll custom villager by tripping and running away... that takes no skill and is just no fun for people to play or watch! honestly I understand that customs could add some flavor and help certain peoples characters but to say smash 4 has no variety is just stupid. its already the most varied fighting game by far! It's not the games fault that ******** who can't handle losing just go diddy (or in this case custom villager) and win by timing people out! It's not the characters or customs that are toxic it's the players with those mindsets that will kill smash! And if customs are allowed were just gonna see more of that toxic behavior than we already have. I feel bad for the guys who actually want to use customs the right way when there's always those losers who will ruin it for everybody!

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Agreed, some customs are just OP. Keeping things simpler and more predictable is better, this isn't sarcasm, this is what I believe.

The only thing worse would be equipment...
I could argue that there are characters that are overpowered in general in non-customs smash, but the truth is that there are broken default specials as well. Of course, in the end they don't matter if the character is still bad... take Mac, for example. KO Punch? Completely broken. One-hit ko move that comes out super fast and ignores shields. Yet Little Mac is still very mediocre because of his inherent flaws.

There ARE some moves that completely define a character, such as the Diddy Kong of Brawl and his bananas, but I can't see anything as broken as that cropping up even with customs in the air. If it does, Nintendo will just nerf it to oblivion and it will never be seen again.

That being said, equipment would be pushing it too far. :U
A dude who hardly plays smash 4 beat Nairo using a troll custom villager by tripping and running away... that takes no skill and is just no fun for people to play or watch! honestly I understand that customs could add some flavor and help certain peoples characters but to say smash 4 has no variety is just stupid. its already the most varied fighting game by far! It's not the games fault that *******s who can't handle losing just go diddy (or in this case custom villager) and win by timing people out! It's not the characters or customs that are toxic it's the players with those mindsets that will kill smash! And if customs are allowed were just gonna see more of that toxic behavior than we already have. I feel bad for the guys who actually want to use customs the right way when there's always those losers who will ruin it for everybody!
They made rules that disqualified you for stalling the game in previous titles, such as regrabbing the ledge 367,000 times in brawl or wobbling with ice climbers past 200% in melee. If villager trip-trolling becomes a serious issue, they can make rules against that as well. That being said, it won't; There are already ways around the tripping root (Pacman can literally just put a hydrant over it to completely nullify it, for example, and air-based characters like Jigglypuff won't even care).

Last edited:

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Honestly though, we need need one of those save editors with the QR code that inject the sets in for us. it'd save a lot of hassle

THERyanP7

Smash Apprentice
I could argue that there are characters that are overpowered in general in non-customs smash, but the truth is that there are broken default specials as well. Of course, in the end they don't matter if the character is still bad... take Mac, for example. KO Punch? Completely broken. One-hit ko move that comes out super fast and ignores shields. Yet Little Mac is still very mediocre because of his inherent flaws.

There ARE some moves that completely define a character, such as the Diddy Kong of Brawl and his bananas, but I can't see anything as broken as that cropping up even with customs in the air. If it does, Nintendo will just nerf it to oblivion and it will never be seen again.

They made rules that disqualified you for stalling the game in previous titles, such as regrabbing the ledge 367,000 times in brawl or wobbling with ice climbers past 200% in melee. If villager trip-trolling becomes a serious issue, they can make rules against that as well. That being said, it won't; There are already ways around the tripping root (Pacman can literally just put a hydrant over it to completely nullify it, for example, and air-based characters like Jigglypuff won't even care).
So.. the other 47 characters are just screwed Or what? I'm less concerned with the move itself than the people who think it's fun to play like that (idk how anyone could think doing that stuff is fun) like I said people who do stuff like that will be the reason Smash dies out! I guess I just expect more from "high level" players whicheveryone should expect better from them

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
So.. the other 47 characters are just screwed Or what? I'm less concerned with the move itself than the people who think it's fun to play like that (idk how anyone could think doing that stuff is fun) like I said people who do stuff like that will be the reason Smash dies out! I guess I just expect more from "high level" players whicheveryone should expect better from them
.....I didn't just give ONE example, y'know. As I said, every character that functions at least decently well in the air doesn't have as much to worry about, as they can just JUMP over it. Pretty much every character can avoid it with ease, in fact! Its not like it's going to go anywhere. It's meant to limit options, but it can't completely shut them out. If it becomes a common sight in tourneys, even more ways WILL be found around it.

You're also forgetting that every custom has its drawbacks. For Timber Counter, you lose the effectiveness of the axe, one of Villager's best kill moves. The watering can's windbox is also worsened (although, it already wasn't all that great).

Last edited:

THERyanP7

Smash Apprentice
.....I didn't just give ONE example, y'know. As I said, every character that functions at least decently well in the air doesn't have as much to worry about, as they can just JUMP over it. Projectile characters can just stay away from it and camp. If it becomes a common sight in tourneys, even more ways WILL be found around it. The trip-tree is good, yes. Especially this early in the meta. But you give it far too much credit.
Dagh no I dont! I've been saying I'm not concerned about the moves! I'm calling out the little **** heads who play like that! You're probably right that people will figure it out and stop it but should this really be an issue in high level play? Like I said we should expect more from those guys they're the ones representing our community and are responsible for bringing attention to the game! And if we keep accepting this as "high level" play our esport will get nowhere and everyone will just go back to melee and I wouldn't blame them...

THERyanP7

Smash Apprentice
.....I didn't just give ONE example, y'know. As I said, every character that functions at least decently well in the air doesn't have as much to worry about, as they can just JUMP over it. Pretty much every character can avoid it with ease, in fact! Its not like it's going to go anywhere. It's meant to limit options, but it can't completely shut them out. If it becomes a common sight in tourneys, even more ways WILL be found around it. The trip-tree is good, yes. Especially this early in the meta. But you give it far too much credit.
And doesn't Nairo use Dark Pit and Robin?? 2 very good aerial characters? And especially with his skill! And the troll still won! So clearly it's not THAT easy but still it shouldn't be an issue in high level play period!

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
And doesn't Nairo use Dark Pit and Robin?? 2 very good aerial characters? And especially with his skill! And the troll still won! So clearly it's not THAT easy but still it shouldn't be an issue in high level play period!
It isn't that easy, that's true. If that were the case, Timber Counter wouldn't be used at all. But think about this: had Nairo ever played that particular villager before? Had ANYONE gone up against a player like that who can successfully stall the match? I doubt it. It worked once, but it won't work again.
Dagh no I dont! I've been saying I'm not concerned about the moves! I'm calling out the little **** heads who play like that! You're probably right that people will figure it out and stop it but should this really be an issue in high level play? Like I said we should expect more from those guys they're the ones representing our community and are responsible for bringing attention to the game! And if we keep accepting this as "high level" play our esport will get nowhere and everyone will just go back to melee and I wouldn't blame them...
A community that consists of Mario Utilt combos, Diddy Kong Hoo-Haa chains, Olimar campers....yadda yadda. If I'm being completely honest, I wish it wasn't that way. A lot of people do. But it just is, because those are the things that work in tourneys. If Pikachu Thunder spam was viable, I'm sure you'd see a lot of that too.

An important thing to remember, though...as well as these things work, they aren't invincible. Nothing really is. A player can break through Olimar Pikmin spam and DI out of Ultilts and Hoo-Haas. And THAT'S why the Timber Counter won't stick around for long, really- because people work hard and succeed at finding ways around these incredibly annoying things, PRECISELY because they make the game boring and cheap.

Trip Tree is an interesting custom to play around with, and supports the whims of a creative player. But it has flaws that can be worked around, namely the fact that it's ground to one spot. As I stated before (editing the post before I noticed your reply, haha), it also weakens the other aspects of timber that make it so good- it cripples the axe, an amazing kill move, and although the tree is scarier it's weaker as well.

It'll inevitably decimate SOME characters, to be sure, but that's to be expected. Even then, I wouldn't worry about the match dragging on that long, because expecting the villager to not screw up at some point is just wishful thinking (or nightmarish thinking, in this scenario). And of course, if it truly becomes so much of a problem that people begin to lose interest it'll just be banned completely.

Last edited:

THERyanP7

Smash Apprentice
It isn't that easy, that's true. If that were the case, Timber Counter wouldn't be used at all. But think about this: had Nairo ever played that particular villager before? Had ANYONE gone up against a player like that who can successfully stall the match? I doubt it. It worked once, but it won't work again.

A community that consists of Mario Utilt combos, Diddy Kong Hoo-Haa chains, Olimar campers....yadda yadda. If I'm being completely honest, I wish it wasn't that way. A lot of people do. But it just is, because those are the things that work in tourneys. If Pikachu Thunder spam was viable, I'm sure you'd see a lot of that too.

An important thing to remember, though...as well as these things work, they aren't invincible. Nothing really is. A player can break through Olimar Pikmin spam and DI out of Ultilts and Hoo-Haas. And THAT'S why the Timber Counter won't stick around for long, really- because people work hard and succeed at finding ways around these incredibly annoying things, PRECISELY because they make the game boring and cheap.

Trip Tree is an interesting custom to play around with, and supports the whims of a creative player. But it has flaws that can be worked around, namely the fact that it's ground to one spot. As I stated before (editing the post before I noticed your reply, haha), it also weakens the other aspects of timber that make it so good- it cripples the axe, an amazing kill move, and although the tree is scarier it's weaker as well.

It'll inevitably decimate SOME characters, to be sure, but that's to be expected. Even then, I wouldn't worry about the match dragging on that long, because expecting the villager to not screw up at some point is just wishful thinking (or nightmarish thinking, in this scenario). And of course, if it truly becomes so much of a problem that people begin to lose interest it'll just be banned completely.
I hear ya dude! Good points! I'm just tired of these guys not being called out for that BS! I'm competing in Aftershock this coming weekend and if I see that stuff best believe I'll call them out! Cause I (like many others) am a broke ass college kid and am not trynna drive 3 hours to just get trolled by that stuff! But hopefully my Ness can do good enough to destroy those losers and really make them hate themselves for doing that ****! (I'm a huge **** talker) haha!

But look people! This is good arguing here! No hate, no names just good arguments! pay attention and stop being ***** to each other! Haha

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
A dude who hardly plays smash 4 beat Nairo using a troll custom villager by tripping and running away... that takes no skill and is just no fun for people to play or watch! honestly I understand that customs could add some flavor and help certain peoples characters but to say smash 4 has no variety is just stupid. its already the most varied fighting game by far! It's not the games fault that *******s who can't handle losing just go diddy (or in this case custom villager) and win by timing people out! It's not the characters or customs that are toxic it's the players with those mindsets that will kill smash! And if customs are allowed were just gonna see more of that toxic behavior than we already have. I feel bad for the guys who actually want to use customs the right way when there's always those losers who will ruin it for everybody!
ADHD was one of the best brawl player and he plays Smash 4 and Brawl with Nairo all the time. Nairo lost the match playing foolishly and messing up a lot many people got around the Villager's ledge camping like Dapuffster's Mii Fighter and Jtail's Pikachu also stages like Castle Siege and other transforming stages could hinder Villager's antics. There have always been players who did this kind of stuff in every Smash just look up Chudat using Kirby in PM so it will not affect its popularity just like Street Fighter doesn't lose popularity when pros projectile spam the whole match.

kesterstudios

Smash Journeyman
NNID
kesterstudios
when i watched adhd play custom villager, i realized timber counter isnt the problem with villager. its freaking extreme balloon trip. this custom can make villager camp near the ledge. honestly i hope this custom move gets nerfed in the future or banned because watching adhd actually winning that way is stupid and cheap.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
I hear ya dude! Good points! I'm just tired of these guys not being called out for that BS! I'm competing in Aftershock this coming weekend and if I see that stuff best believe I'll call them out! Cause I (like many others) am a broke *** college kid and am not trynna drive 3 hours to just get trolled by that stuff! But hopefully my Ness can do good enough to destroy those losers and really make them hate themselves for doing that ****! (I'm a huge **** talker) haha!

But look people! This is good arguing here! No hate, no names just good arguments! pay attention and stop being ****s to each other! Haha
Thank you! I make a point to be reasonable with what I say.

when i watched adhd play custom villager, i realized timber counter isnt the problem with villager. its freaking extreme balloon trip. this custom can make villager camp near the ledge. honestly i hope this custom move gets nerfed in the future or banned because watching adhd actually winning that way is stupid and cheap.
I've heard terrifying things about extreme balloon trip O_O;

Last edited:

Epic_Bro__360

Smash Rookie
why is there no 2 for up b on mii swordsman? is it too diffiucult to balance? to good of a recovery? or am i missing something? because I like to play characters offstage and really want to play a mii, so the fact the best recovery isnt allowed is kinda saddened me

Yoyomega

Smash Rookie
NNID
Yoyomega
3DS FC
1821-9805-6676
I look at it as a Variation system like MKX with the 3 variations for the characters but with Smash 4 its like 6 plus the default move set.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Yeah guys custom moves are so stupid, variety will surely kill the game, we need to control this and keep it the same so it doesnt get stale and stays fresh.

tournyfag mindset is strong. Long live teh stale meleez

Shoto

Smash Apprentice
Join date still means something...?

Regardless, haven't customs gained exposure in the last 4 months or so?
Earlier join dates USUALLY equal more experience with how things work. I myself am not a fan of customs. Too many dumb windboxes and the like.

EDIT: corrected misspellings.

Last edited:

Gutei

Smash Cadet
I've heard terrifying things about extreme balloon trip O_O;
After going and exploring on my own, it is a little terrifying. Heck, after playing Melee hardcore for the past week or so, going back to Sm4sh for the first time made me go "wait a sec Ganondorf recovered from that?"

I'm hoping that some people really work on a secondary/tertiary with customs or at least two or three sets to counter-pick certain strategies.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
After going and exploring on my own, it is a little terrifying. Heck, after playing Melee hardcore for the past week or so, going back to Sm4sh for the first time made me go "wait a sec Ganondorf recovered from that?"

I'm hoping that some people really work on a secondary/tertiary with customs or at least two or three sets to counter-pick certain strategies.
Ganon's recovery may be poor, but you can still squeeze a surprising amount of distance from it if you use it right... At least, in this game.

Last edited:

THERyanP7

Smash Apprentice
Cool, cuz he's been a national level threat in smash for years, and his tourney wins most likely outnumber the amount of tournaments you've even gone to.
You'd be right about that.... but he still ain't **** to me..

Buy1tofun

Smash Rookie
I am trying to figure out why the 2nd up special is for a lot of the Duck Hunt sets when basically everyone that I have heard from has said that the 2nd was the worst recovery move. The debate is between the 1st and 3rd recovery options depending on play style but the general consensus is that the 2nd option is not viable. I would appreciate it if you review the Duck Hunt sets once more.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Customs add in a whole new layer of player variability. They give more options with choosing how you want to play your character. In the long-run, we might see some sets crystallize and be the only ones in use. However, at least with Shulk's customs, a lot comes down to personal preference and playstyle. No set is clearly the best.

It is an honest shame that EVO is not allowing custom sets imports. One of the purposes of customs is to lengthen the extent to which players can compete with their own styles. Disallowing the imports gets rid of the potential for an exciting, unique player to surprise the crowds with his strange but effective set.

Last edited:

Da Loc

Smash Cadet
At KTAR, I used 3333 yoshi just because I wanted 1133 and made do to never use side B to prevent accidental SD's. Will have to learn an entirely new character because yoshi only has XX1X for his 10 plus default moveset.

BTW, I really don't like the "bring your own 3ds" for regional and local tournaments argument because I would never buy a 3ds just for that purpose.

-6WX-

Smash Rookie
NNID
Wes6WX
3DS FC
5198-2711-1346
Pikachu :4pikachu::
1311, 2311, 2312, 1312, 1313, 1331, 2313, 2331, 3311, 1321

Lucina :4lucina::
3113, 3123, 1123, 3133, 1133, 3121, 1121, 3111, 1131, 3131

Sonic :4sonic::
1213, 1211, 1313, 1311, 1113, 1321, 2213, 3213, 1223, 1331
Sad to see my 1212 never made it up there for Sonic. People seem to think gravity is better and worth running...maybe I should test it out more just in case you all know something I don't.

Loving the Lucina / Marth rep for the 2nd upB in that 3123, etc. Also glad to see at least once Pika set with the killer neutral B 3 with that 3311.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
At KTAR, I used 3333 yoshi just because I wanted 1133 and made do to never use side B to prevent accidental SD's. Will have to learn an entirely new character because yoshi only has XX1X for his 10 plus default moveset.
Two new moves does not a new character make.

It's more like one new move, really, because Egg Roll is rarely used anyway. (Especially offstage.)

Last edited:

Rynhardt

Smash Cadet
NNID
Rynhardt
3DS FC
3437-3326-8257
For anyone complaining "why isn't XXXX set there?!" it's kind of your own fault. You had plenty of time to compile any sort of evidence of your favorite set's viability, work with your fellow players to agree and compromise if need be on 10 sets. I'm so glad I got involved in the Bowser Jr. thread because we all worked so hard with the limited sets, considering Jr. has more than 10 viable sets even if they do end up more niche. I look at what we have now and am confident I can take on even my worst matchups.

This list isn't the death of sets that didn't make the cut. While they might not be at EVO 2015, you now have more time than ever to prove online or at local events how good your own sets are for the next revision of the list.

pokemario

Smash Cadet
NNID
pokemario24
3DS FC
3067-5423-1066

Equipment would obviously brake a boundary.

But the deal with the KO Punch is that...

A. It requires a period of time to activate.
B. If you gain another arrow, the bar will reset.
C. Hard to land with Mac's terrible aerial movement, the opponent can just flee upwards and get small hits to reset the bar.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Equipment would obviously brake a boundary.

But the deal with the KO Punch is that...

A. It requires a period of time to activate.
B. If you gain another arrow, the bar will reset.
C. Hard to land with Mac's terrible aerial movement, the opponent can just flee upwards and get small hits to reset the bar.
T'was just an example, although those are very good points.

To be fair, though, KO Punch is almost as valuable when you don't use it as when you do, as it forces them to play much more carefully. So ease of use isn't too much of a problem, when the danger of ACTUALLY being hit is that polarizing.

pokemario

Smash Cadet
NNID
pokemario24
3DS FC
3067-5423-1066
T'was just an example, although those are very good points.

To be fair, though, KO Punch is almost as valuable when you don't use it as when you do, as it forces them to play much more carefully. So ease of use isn't too much of a problem, when the danger of ACTUALLY being hit is that polarizing.
I understand that, but you can just jump around, airdodge, and get small chip damage to reset the bar, you then go into hard attacks and combos.

Anyway, we're getting off topic XD

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
I guess Yoshi's Up B is terrible no matter what. That's too bad.
If you're talking about it in terms of recovery, yes. If you're saying in general, definitely not. Eggs are an amazing tool, good enough by themselves to make up for any recovery issues Yoshi has.

That being said, using Egg Throw to recover BEFORE you use the jump is pretty much on par with the rest of the cast- and if you aim the eggs right on the way back, you can impede an edgeguarding foe at the same time. Yoshi's recovery moves are pretty backwards, so treating them as such is the right way to go. :)

Last edited:

A Very Nice Dishwasher

Smash Apprentice
If you're talking about it in terms of recovery, yes. If you're saying in general, definitely not. Eggs are an amazing tool, good enough by themselves to make up for any recovery issues Yoshi has.

That being said, using Egg Throw to recover BEFORE you use the jump is pretty much on par with the rest of the cast- and if you aim the eggs right on the way back, you can impede an edgeguarding foe at the same time. Yoshi's recovery moves are pretty backwards, so treating them as such is the right way to go. :)
I was talking about in terms of recovery. Thanks for the tip, though. :):happysheep:

Last edited:
Top Bottom