• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Custom Moveset Project: Mega Man

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
I'm not going to EVO, like you I just play Mega Man in (small) tournaments and amongst friends.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Nope, not going to EVO. And I'd love for there to be a bunch of potential Mega Man users here attending EVO discussing what they want and need. But I don't see that happening within the deadline. Heck, I don't even expect a lot of Mega Man users to suddenly show up at EVO. Could happen, but I'm doubtful. So yeah, it's gonna be mostly us folk who main Mega Man and may have attended other tournaments trying to figure out 10 good viable and varied sets that will end up appearing at EVO.

I'm all for a 6:4 ratio in favor of Metal Blades. Heck, if it really is necessary, 7:3. Metal Blades is that good. But I'm against a 10:0 ratio which says anything else is that bad. Variety is good. And who knows, by heavily focusing on MB, we could as well pull the rug out from an EVO attender that actually planned on using Shadow Blade. Obviously we can't satisfy everyone in terms of sets, but we can provide the variety.

Let's cover as many areas as we can. We give priority to what's truly strong, provide the options for as many circumstances as possible, and weed out the truly redundant stuff.

Last edited:

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
I feel a 6:4 ratio is fair. This lets Hyper Bomb and Shadow Blade each run a set with and without a reflector in skull barrier, and allows them to each carry Danger Wrap and either Ice Slasher or Crash Bomb and 2 recoveries of choice.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I don't think anybody here is going to EVO.

The Beat discussion is interesting and also new to me. I've never had any problems recovering with Rush. As long as you use him first and save the jump, it's almost impossible to get gimped since you have so much control of where you come in and retain all aerial options. I've also found him to be very valuable in escaping combos and stalling out my opponents invincibility. There are also some rush-canceled attack techs which we have only begun to play with.

What makes Beat so good aside from raw distance? The movement is kind of slow and you can't drop it early. Does it just allow you to go ridiculously deep offstage?

Edit: 6:4 sounds fine to me. More than two hyper bomb sets is definitely overkill right now when our experience with it is so low. Not sure about shadow blade. It does set up an easy combo, but it's also very slow and weak. At high level play, I can definitely see opponents simply swatting it out of the air. On the other hand, I thought it was more popular than I'm seeing in this thread.

Last edited:

Kronos2560

Smash Apprentice
I'm trying to go to EVO.

I was very adamant about 3322 earlier in this thread, but my tune has completely changed.

I know for sure that Metal Blade is much better than Shadow Blade now, thanks to the fact that metal blade has INCREDIBLY slow startup AND finish lag

Beat is interchangeable with rush. Rush is good because it's very fast, and it has some good use on stage as well, but beat let's you do whatever the eff you want off stage, and get away with it, which is very nice. Even if your opponent lands a gimp attempt, you can easily recover from it thanks to beat.

TH is terribad. It would be better if it had more offensive application, but it's a bit in consistent, and the lateral movement on it as a recovery is woeful.

Greward

Smash Lord
I might go to EVO but having to pay a flight over a thousand euros is kinda hard. Maybe if I win something big in europe...

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
I'm trying to go to EVO.

I was very adamant about 3322 earlier in this thread, but my tune has completely changed.

I know for sure that Metal Blade is much better than Shadow Blade now, thanks to the fact that metal blade shadow blade has INCREDIBLY slow startup AND finish lag
Shadow Blade does have noticeably more end lag than Metal Blade. It still leads into other attacks as long as you're not getting predictable and space it properly as a mid-range tool. But it does not have "INCREDIBLY slow" start-up. It's adequate enough.

Look, here's what I personally like about SB that I would opt for it over MB in some circumstances:

1 - It's easier than MB
2 - It can't be caught (except by Villager/Rosalina)
3 - It hits on the way back

That's all I need. I don't need MB's good points explained, I've used it for months and I'm totally aware it has much more applications. But SB brings a different kind of pressure that's available practically any moment. I enjoy the prospect of sticking my foe with a Crash Bomb and pinning them down further with SB should they try to shield the explosion or attempt to stick it back on me. Add to that Skull Barrier to further discourage reversing CB against me. Yeah, I'd go 31x2! I tried 3322. I personally don't need that much anti-air, and a long-range option does become sorely missed.

TH is terribad. It would be better if it had more offensive application, but it's a bit in consistent, and the lateral movement on it as a recovery is woeful.
TH is not terribad. I think at the least it's a solid edgeguard option if one isn't running MB or Plant Barrier. So... I'd go 3122 personally. Got a decent mid-range and long-range tool, Crash Bombs compliments both SB and SkB, SkB can still be used somewhat offensively and further compliments SB, TH provides some edge control in place of MB or PB. I think the set has good synergy and covers a good range of situations.

And maybe it's 'cause I'm very experienced with both Dr. Mario and Ganondorf, but the loss of lateral recovery isn't all that terrible when Mega Man has such great air mobility outside of it. It's a trade-off, making his recovery relatively average compared to other recoveries. It doesn't become bad though, and he continues to have options out of the recovery.

Last edited:

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
Do we have anyone who is attending Evo? I am not -- I just play Megaman in tournament.
I am.

Anyway, maybe it's just me, but I feel like you guys are overselling Beat. Sure he's got a long recovery but he's also slow. An opponent with a spike (Captain Falcon, for example) can hit you pretty easily. I think Beat certainly has his uses but he cannot completely replace rush.

In fact, I think all of Mega Man's custom Up-Bs are useful.

When using customs, the setups I use most are 1311 and 1312. I play around with the other moves too, but I'm still of the opinion that 1311 and 1312 are the best. I do like 1112 as well.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Beat has a momentum glitch that allows him to fly at max speed from the start, but even without it I haven't had issues avoiding being hit. You should try 'em.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Beat has a momentum glitch that allows him to fly at max speed from the start, but even without it I haven't had issues avoiding being hit. You should try 'em.
Is this the same sort of glitch that Pikachu's Heavy Skull Bash has? As a player (who is ridiculously awful with Mega Man), I was already impressed with Beat as a move, but that is really interesting.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've only gotten the glitch when using beat after being launched. Is there a way to repeat the glitch consistently without that variable in place?

Edit: AA if you want to test it out, have someone spike you at low percents (I think it works at low percents? If not just do it higher percents) and mash up-b. You skip that slow startup beat has and go straight into the mid-move velocity he travels at, lifting you further than usual.

Last edited:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Is this the same sort of glitch that Pikachu's Heavy Skull Bash has? As a player (who is ridiculously awful with Mega Man), I was already impressed with Beat as a move, but that is really interesting.
Yup! Same thing. Beat is amazing. I've used Beat, gotten hit, then used beat again to recovery like snake. Then I can throw a metal blade down, fast fall and z catch it, THEN use my jump and throw a metal blade down and land with a jab. Beat gives so many crazy options.

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
is there a consistent method to doing the mommentum glitch with beat? i've been testing beat out in the lab, and i like how i can flame sword out in the deep stage without worrying about recovering because of beat

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
A Beat glitch is interesting but not reliable (see wectoring). I haven't used it as much but I'm inclined to agree that it stands alongside Rush and TH, rather than being "better". What sets benefit the most from Beat? Maybe SB since it has the least gimping potential?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
A Beat glitch is interesting but not reliable (see wectoring). I haven't used it as much but I'm inclined to agree that it stands alongside Rush and TH, rather than being "better". What sets benefit the most from Beat? Maybe SB since it has the least gimping potential?
Beat is superior in nearly every way. It can be used to recover high, low, and you can save your jump. You can use it offensively to edgeguard from very deep and are immune to being edgeguarded yourself. If you die when using beat by being gimped or dying off the bottom, it is your fault entirely.

Rush's advantage is that it can be used on-stage and you can bounce off of it. That's about it. It might be more useful against noobs because Rush looks fast, but playing against anyone competent you're forced to tech to survive.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Beat is superior in nearly every way. It can be used to recover high, low, and you can save your jump. You can use it offensively to edgeguard from very deep and are immune to being edgeguarded yourself. If you die when using beat by being gimped or dying off the bottom, it is your fault entirely.

Rush's advantage is that it can be used on-stage and you can bounce off of it. That's about it. It might be more useful against noobs because Rush looks fast, but playing against anyone competent you're forced to tech to survive.
Do Boss, Logic, and Snow count as competent in your book?

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett
Rush has more advantages than just "being used on stage." It sends you up way faster than Beat, at least reliably. I'd love to see footage of someone using Beat to greater effect than Rush.

Torizo

Smash Rookie
I kind of feel like we would make the most use out of the custom movesets if we looked at the fights Mega Man's got the hardest time dealing with, and then figured out which special moves worked best against that character. Mega Man's default kit works really well for most of the cast anyways - so maybe we should think of customs the same way we do choosing the right weapon when going to fight a new robot master.

The current top tiers would be a good place to start - what weapons would best counter Diddy? Sheik? If we start making our movesets that way instead of trying to make more generic ones, we could build a much deadlier Mega Man, I think.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Tornado Hold definitely against Diddy. Getting KOd off the side isn't the issue there and anything to prevent him from chasing you upwards would be good.

Sheik is Danger Wrap and Beat. Sheik's best KO option is gimping and Beat prevents that pretty well. Danger Wrap for being a reliable anti-air and kill move.

I'd probably use Ice Slasher against Wario and maybe Hyper Bomb (can he eat those for HP as well?)

Skull Barrier for Samus and Lucario.

Who else gives Mega Man a really hard time?

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Nothing gives us an advantage over Diddy or Shiek. It's more a matter of "what can I bring if I want to have a chance". In both cases, you want Plant Barrier. Not sure about HB/MB/SB...I would actually lean toward HB since your biggest problem is getting grabbed, and the HB offers some protection. Beat seems good for Shiek, and either Rush or Tornado Hold for Diddy. Side B is probably DW in both cases since they like to jump in.

One matchup which I think we lose badly is Fox, and I don't see how specials could help. He just combos us for days off of anything he lands...grabs, tilts, aerials, you name it. Plant Barrier will help a little, but I don't see how we can mount a decent offense.

Another matchup that is less common but almost as bad is ZSS. Again, I'm thinking Hyper Bombs since she has to commit hard to everything on the ground, and she's too fast catch with anti air MB very often. She has the ability to gimp us really hard with bThrow->downB, so I don't think Beat is a good choice here. Maybe Tornado Hold? I also want to go with Plant Barrier again since we need to really maximize our opportunities to stack damage, and PB grabs with pummel can get in the mid 20's, allowing us to KO her with throws more reliably.

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
I'm not suggesting any more sets from now on because here people really wants to put every useless set when most will get discarted for sure. To the guy looking down on tornado hold, dude you really need to get bodied by a rushdown character or an ungimpable character in order to be forced to use that move and learn why is so good. I suggest dropping Ice Slasher, Hyper Bomb and Beat forever and I'm considering in dropping crash bomb completly. For me Beat sucks and bringing beat instead of tornado hold against a good sheik is suicide for sure. Crash Bomb is nothing compared to danger wrap, even against pacman and the only reason I would play it is in a match against game and watch maybe and that's a maybe, because if he fills his bucket with pellets, he can't store a danger wrap for instant kill. Also against spammers I've skull barrier who is way better than crash bomb.
Nobody plays Ice Slasher or Hyper Bomb at tournys and wins, and the only reason I'm not suggesting dropping shadow blade is because the 3323 set and thats it! any other set with shadow blade sucks for me! even the skull barrier set one. That's my opinion so from now on I'm only thinking in discover new tech with this moves:
Tornado Hold
Rush
Metal Blade
Danger Wrap
Leaf Shield/Plant Barrier (Seeing when plant barrier is useful like in the shadow blade set bcs most of the time LS is better)
Skull Barrier
Shadow Blade in the 3323 set.
I don't care anymore for crash bomb, hyper bomb, ice slasher and beat.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

Am bumping this list again. I would suggest deciding upon a Hyper Bomb/Shadow Blade/Tornado Hold set first and leave the rest, bar 1311, up to a poll, as quite frankly we could argue forever about preference sets (not that compromises can't be met for key match ups).

How many days do we have left? <10?

Last edited:

mega4000

Smash Journeyman

Am bumping this list again. I would suggest deciding upon a Hyper Bomb/Shadow Blade/Tornado Hold set first and leave the rest, bar 1311, up to a poll, as quite frankly we could argue forever about preference sets (not that compromises can't be met for key match ups).

How many days do we have left? <10?
This are the only tornado hold sets that should be considered. Shadow blade is good with tornado hold too, but I'm only caring about metal blade because thats the best neutral b.

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
This are the only tornado hold sets that should be considered. Shadow blade is good with tornado hold too, but I'm only caring about metal blade because thats the best neutral b.
Yeah, if we're going to include a Tornado Hold set (and I think we should), taking anything in our SideB slot aside from Danger Wrap would be just plain silliness. The synergy on those moves is ridiculous. If you're opting for vertical dominance, you might as well go all the way.

The NeutralB slot is more debatable, but I think Metal Blade is the best. Hyper Bomb and Shadow Blade are too slow, and it's harder to cancel TH's landing lag with them than it is with MB.

As for shields, that one seems the most preference and matchup dependent. If we only have room for one TH set, then I say we go with 1321, as that seems to me the most versatile. 1322 and 1323 might be better in certain MUs, but it'll take more meta development until we figure that out for sure, and in the meantime 1321 is perfectly serviceable.

Last edited:

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
We should have more than one TH set, and one of them should be 2323. Can't you combo HB and TH on some of the cast? TH landing lag can be most easily and safely canceled with mega buster anyway.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Which sets do not make sense/has not shown utility? If we want to work by eliminating sets, that is the important question to ask.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
We should have more than one TH set, and one of them should be 2323. Can't you combo HB and TH on some of the cast? TH landing lag can be most easily and safely canceled with mega buster anyway.
I just don't think Hyper Bomb is a great move. I won't go into it again here, but suffice to say I've tried it out in friendlies, and found that while it has some interesting qualities, overall is just seems to be an inferior option to Metal Blade.

I guess it could have some synergy with TH, seeing as one of HB's better uses is as an edgeguarding tool. (It's a lot like a Peach turnip that you can generate from the air.) So if you want to maximize Mega Man's edgeguarding game, 2323 could theoretically be pretty dangerous. Good luck getting your opponent off stage in the first place, though, as HB and Plant Barrier are both arguably downgrades when it comes to Mega Man's neutral game.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
I'm aiming for as much coverage as possible.

31xx - I think Shadow Blades + Crash Bomb have good synergy. SB for mid-range, Crash Bomb so the opponent is totally safe from a distance, and combined they really pin down the foe should a CB stick. They can only avoid retaliation by air dodging the explosion, and that leaves them open to punishing a landing.

33xx - Already stated, an anti-air set. Personally I think it's a tad redundant and not as useful as it seems. SB's longer recovery and DW having cool down hurts their synergy. With Metal Blade you recover faster and you can better act around DW. Sure there's the upside of DW's kill power, but if somebody's that interested in landing DW, I would suggest 13xx. SB has to be the primary move, and DW doesn't support it as well as one may think.

3x11 vs. 3x13 - I need to test this to be sure, but doesn't Rush Coil make for a better escape option (albeit not amazing) than Beat? I have to ask which is more useful for a Shadow Blade set: making sure one can escape a sticky situation while on stage, or being able to safely go deep off the stage? As the mid range will be especially important, I would lean toward RC. I'm not that concern about going super-deep or trying to get back to the ledge. As for Leaf Blade vs. Plant Barrier, LB is a decent defensive tool to take the heat off of Mega Man while PB is more offensive (despite, or rather because of its slower start-up) and bolsters his edgeguard game. Sure there's the decently distanced LB toss, but you're using it to ward off aggression.

I would say if you got Rush Coil, go with 3x13. Use RC for added on-stage mobility and PB for off-stage (which makes up a tiny bit for no Metal Blades).

3x23 - For even more offensive presence, both on and off the stage. I gotta test this one further to see how it handles in the heat of a battle. But if it's decent at shaking off opponents, I'd pick it over Rush Coil. Think of it this way: The loss of Metal Blade's additional options is notable, so why not add a totally new offensive move to Mega Man's arsenal. And NO Tornado Hold is NOT bad. For now, though I made an argument for 3x13, I'd go with 3x23 over it. The diminished recovery is a bit of a concern, but it doesn't make MM's recovery terrible.

3x22 - A slightly more defensive set, but not as much as one may think. This helps out Mega Man against opponents favoring projectile attacks. MM cancels out stuff, but not everything, and certain not from every angle.

3x33 - Brave Flower Mega Man! Activate PB and leap off stage to your hearts content to try and gimp an opponent. As PB doesn't last as long as LB, you should be good to call Beat and safely return to the stage. Pretty interesting I suppose. Will test this. All the same though, a bit centralizing as it seems to only focus on off-stage strategy.

Okay, at this point, considering what each pair of moves brings to the table and how well they work together, I personally would go with these two Shadow Blade sets:

3122 - I already advocated this set and I'm doing it again. The synergy here shouldn't be ignored. SB+CB covers two distinct areas, and combined they greatly reduce the opponent's options. SkB makes long-range specialists' lives more difficult, and there's the added CB+SkB synergy, preventing opponents from turning Crash Bomb explosions against Mega Man. SkB toss isn't a bad option either. And though it needs to be further tested, Tornado Hold adds to Mega Man's stage presence and even assists his edgeguard game. I really think a lot gets covered with this set.

3123 - Same as above, but only if projectiles isn't going to be an issue, or if the opponent isn't so agile they can can easily transfer CBs back onto Mega Man (though that shouldn't be that much an issue).

Of course for those who prefer their recoveries be as safe and risk-less as possible, they may not approve of Tornado Hold in either set, but I think the pros can outweigh the cons. Mega Man wants effective zoning and stage control, and these sets can give it to him. Picking Rush Coil or Leaf Blade for me is kind of preparing ahead of time for the opponent to gain momentum against Mega Man. I'm a bit more partial towards Beat because it's a boon to Mega Man's off-stage game.

Last edited:

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
I just don't think Hyper Bomb is a great move. I won't go into it again here, but suffice to say I've tried it out in friendlies, and found that while it has some interesting qualities, overall is just seems to be an inferior option to Metal Blade.

I guess it could have some synergy with TH, seeing as one of HB's better uses is as an edgeguarding tool. (It's a lot like a Peach turnip that you can generate from the air.) So if you want to maximize Mega Man's edgeguarding game, 2323 could theoretically be pretty dangerous. Good luck getting your opponent off stage in the first place, though, as HB and Plant Barrier are both arguably downgrades when it comes to Mega Man's neutral game.
I get what you're saying, and you've certainly proved yourself to be knowledgeable about this character, so I respect your opinion. I do think, however, that this gives us more than edgeguarding, and that an enhanced edgeguard game is significant in its own right. Metal Blades are nice and have tons of utility...until you go up against a character that pressures you nonstop. It's really not very helpful against the likes of Shiek, Fox, and Captain Falcon. In matches like Fox and Falcon, you really can't afford to miss the edgeguarding opportunities that you do get, and covering the running shieldgrab is going to make things much less painful. The down thrown HB also provides a lot of safety when managing opponent pressure, or trying to jump near the opponent safely in order to secure better zoning.

Plant Barrier is optimal for the same reasons. I don't know about you, but getting kicked out of Leaf Shield gets old pretty fast for me. The extra range and power of PB is sometimes enough to make a the difference between your advantage and your opponent's. You can also use it better for edgeguarding, and when you are going for the bThrow at kill %, the extra damage you get off it while pummeling could well mean the difference between getting the KO, or merely coming close with Leaf Shield. On occasion, I also want to follow up on a LS dThrow, but the shield lasts too long, and I can't get the followup.

Let's face it, our on-stage kill options are pretty limited, and MB really only offers a z-drop/diagonal down combo into uTilt to help, and as awesome as it is when it works, you'll never catch high level opponents playing a character with any measure of speed. It's mostly a damage/grab setup tool. Mega Man is all about zoning, and as expected, he's weakest up close and up above. Have you ever fought an opponent who doesn't grab much? It's very easy for us to play against. With what I've seen so far, I think one of the primary functions of HB is to make the grab option that much harder for opponents and enable us to maintain pressure with the mega buster. When paired with TH and DW, you can keep bAir fresh to make getting your opponent offstage that much easier. There's lots of synergy here, it's just unconventional and more defensive at close range than we are used to.

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
i think the standard combo for tornado hold should be:
tornado hold + metal blade

i'm just going off from this because these two moves give each other less lag than the other custom neutral b's. i'm still curious about the shadow tornado and bomb tornado tho

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
I honestly don't see the point in any tornado hold set that isn't 1323 or 1322 at this point. Those are versitile sets where all the components work together to achieve something. The synergy between Danger Wrap and Tornado Hold is undeniable, and with a nerfed recovery we can't afford to be caught off stage with leaf shield. Plant Barrier and Skull Barrier both fix this to an extent. Metal Blade is comfy so it's the natural choice since most Mega Man players will mot prefer it.

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
I get what you're saying, and you've certainly proved yourself to be knowledgeable about this character, so I respect your opinion. I do think, however, that this gives us more than edgeguarding, and that an enhanced edgeguard game is significant in its own right. Metal Blades are nice and have tons of utility...until you go up against a character that pressures you nonstop. It's really not very helpful against the likes of Shiek, Fox, and Captain Falcon. In matches like Fox and Falcon, you really can't afford to miss the edgeguarding opportunities that you do get, and covering the running shieldgrab is going to make things much less painful. The down thrown HB also provides a lot of safety when managing opponent pressure, or trying to jump near the opponent safely in order to secure better zoning.

Plant Barrier is optimal for the same reasons. I don't know about you, but getting kicked out of Leaf Shield gets old pretty fast for me. The extra range and power of PB is sometimes enough to make a the difference between your advantage and your opponent's. You can also use it better for edgeguarding, and when you are going for the bThrow at kill %, the extra damage you get off it while pummeling could well mean the difference between getting the KO, or merely coming close with Leaf Shield. On occasion, I also want to follow up on a LS dThrow, but the shield lasts too long, and I can't get the followup.

Let's face it, our on-stage kill options are pretty limited, and MB really only offers a z-drop/diagonal down combo into uTilt to help, and as awesome as it is when it works, you'll never catch high level opponents playing a character with any measure of speed. It's mostly a damage/grab setup tool. Mega Man is all about zoning, and as expected, he's weakest up close and up above. Have you ever fought an opponent who doesn't grab much? It's very easy for us to play against. With what I've seen so far, I think one of the primary functions of HB is to make the grab option that much harder for opponents and enable us to maintain pressure with the mega buster. When paired with TH and DW, you can keep bAir fresh to make getting your opponent offstage that much easier. There's lots of synergy here, it's just unconventional and more defensive at close range than we are used to.
I find HB even tougher to use than MB against rushdown characters like Sheik and Falcon. It comes out slower, has longer cooldown, and can get caught like MB can. I may need to try to play around with it more, but my experience is that HB gets beaten out by many aerial approaches, which hurts its utility as a defensive tool. TH is generally better and more consistent for punishing dash approaches while also serving as a pretty effective deterrent to aerial approachs.

HB seems like to work best when you have the time and space to use it offensively to set up traps. This is why it can work well at the ledge. You can do things like toss it straight up and then go for a dsmash read, confident that even if you miss the HB will blow up your opponent if he tries to punish. It's less good in footsies, especially when you have an opponent who can close space quickly and exploit even the tiniest openings the startup/end lag on our moves give him.

The other thing I like about MB is that you can still use it if it misses. A whiffed HB just blows up and goes away, but a whiffed MB can still be z-grabbed and converted into a useful weapon. I like full hopping and throwing MBs down because they can be hit confirmed into a grab or usmash if my opponent gets caught by it, and can be picked up and used as an item if they keep their distance.

On Plant Barrier, I agree with pretty much everything you say. Once you get PB out, it's pretty great. The only thing that makes me continue to favor LS is PB's slooooooow startup time. I could live without LS's toss range, but PB is just harder to get out when you're under any level or pressure, especially when you're up against a speedy character who can kick or grab you out of it during the startup frames. Leaf Shield can also Leaf Lock due to having the Sakurai angle, which is situational but makes it arguably better for tech chasing.

Last edited:

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I'm really interested in seeing good use of Hyper Bomb outside of video tutorials. Anyone have a good showcase in mind?

Teshie U

Smash Lord
I'm really interested in seeing good use of Hyper Bomb outside of video tutorials. Anyone have a good showcase in mind?
I actually wanted to ask the very same thing about...all of megamans customs. I just don't see the value in anything but skull barrier and I'd like to see some good examples.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
Last edited:

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
i think it's fantastic that this character has so many opinions on so many of his custom moves and their viability. so many characters are much worse off.

Top Bottom