• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom Moveset Discussion

Initial thoughts on custom moves?

• They should be unrestricted for now

Votes: 221 88.0%
  • They should be restricted until we learn more

Votes: 30 12.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DeliriousPirate

Smash Rookie
I think custom move sets should be treated the same way the counter pick hungry SF community has dealt with it. Timed character select, both players able to see the choices. "Counter-picking" is more prevalent in SFIV than it is in Smash, and I feel that worrying about a move being "over-powered" sounds like an excuse for you not being able to deal with something or adapt to a certain play style. If a move is overly saturating the market for a character at the tournament level, then I think it should be looked at, but until then, game on.

What I wish Nintendo would do, however, is similar to what SFIV did. Instead of giving us characters, just give us a DLC purchase that gives us all the unlocked move sets for every character + some costume add-ons for them as well. It's a similar idea to free to play games. Pay if you want instant gratification, and grind it out if you don't want to pay for it. A character is still competitive with their neutral move set, but the ability to purchase the entire move set pack would be a way for players that don't have the same amount of time to dedicate to the game a way to stay competitive at a tournament level.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, in terms of counter-picking with custom moves and whatnot, but...

If custom moves become a thing and are integrated into the counter-picking process, I think changing (a) custom move(s) should be considered changing a character, and should be done in response to a stage being picked (if you won the previous game) or a character being picked (if you lost the previous game).

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, in terms of counter-picking with custom moves and whatnot, but...

If custom moves become a thing and are integrated into the counter-picking process, I think changing (a) custom move(s) should be considered changing a character, and should be done in response to a stage being picked (if you won the previous game) or a character being picked (if you lost the previous game).
I believe everyone who's talked about it has suggested the following order:

1. Winner bans stage(s).
2. Loser picks stage.
3. Winner picks character.
4. Loser picks character.
5. Winner picks custom moves.
6. Loser picks custom moves.

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
I believe everyone who's talked about it has suggested the following order:

1. Winner bans stage(s).
2. Loser picks stage.
3. Winner picks character.
4. Loser picks character.
5. Winner picks custom moves.
6. Loser picks custom moves.
That's... doable. I can definitely hop on the train for this style of counterpicking. The more I look at it, the more I like it.

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
So some new information about unlocking customs has surfaced. Apparently the stage mattered almost as much as the character chosen when doing classic mode. Certain stages will have a higher probability of unlocking certain customs for characters of that series.

http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/2rqzv2/mechanics_of_unlocking_custom_specials_wii_u/

• Miiverse [Never]
  • Norfair(Samus) [Rare]
  • Onett(Ness) [Common]
  • Orbital Gate Assault(Star Fox) [Rare]
  • *Pac-Land(Pac-Man) [Uncommon]
  • Palutena's Temple(Pit) [Never]
  • Pilot Wings(??) [Rare]
  • *Pokémon Stadium 2(Pokémon) [Rare]
  • Port Town Aero Dive(F-Zero) [Rare]
  • Pyrosphere(Samus) [Rare]
  • Skyloft(Zelda) [Rare]
  • Skyworld(Pit) [Common]
  • *Smashville(Villager) [Rare]
  • Temple(Zelda) [Never]
  • The Great Cave Offensive(Kirby) [Never]
  • Town and City(Villager) [Rare]
  • Wii Fit Studio(Wii Fit Trainer) [Rare]
  • Windy Hill(Sonic) [Common]
  • Woolly World(Mario) [Never]
  • Wrecking Crew(R.O.B.) [Rare]
  • Wuhu Island(Wii Sports) [Rare]
  • Yoshi's Island(Mario) [Common]
  • Battlefield(R.O.B.) [Always]
  • Boxing Ring(Little Mac) [Never]
  • Final Destination(R.O.B.) [Always]
  • Gaur Plains(Shulk) [Never]
  • Wily Castle(Mega Man) [Rare]

Last edited:

HoMaLoN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoMaLoN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avvIBmEssGU

This is a video discussion my views on why customization (excluding equipment) should be allow for Wii U tournament play.

In this video, I try to make a couple of guesses on the issues that may be associated with customizations and the solutions to those issues.

The goal
Please feel free answer my question at the end of this video.

Here are the links for Datel Action Replay PowerSaves Pro below:

PowerSaves Pro - Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Action-Replay-P...

PowerSaves Pro - GameStop

Last edited:

LoganS97

Smash Rookie
I feel like the custom moves should be for friendlies, but in completive tournament play, they should be banned because they make the stats unfair and can give an unfair advantage

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I feel like the custom moves should be for friendlies, but in completive tournament play, they should be banned because they make the stats unfair and can give an unfair advantage
Are you sure you're not talking about equipment? Custom moves don't alter stats at all, they're just variants on neutral/side/up/down special moves.

LoganS97

Smash Rookie
Are you sure you're not talking about equipment? Custom moves don't alter stats at all, they're just variants on neutral/side/up/down special moves.
my bad sorry your right i think i thought since they are both in the same area and they are both part of the custom setting this thread was talking about both, I do also think that it doesn't give people a chance to practice against a certain kind of character and it distances each character away from each other, which i guess could be seen as a good and a bad thing.

BlackCephie

Smash Journeyman
Frankly its absurd to me that customs are not allowed in tourneys already, especially considering Sakurai's ridiculous position to not balance the game any further. In fact, its possible that customs were put into the game with balance in mind from the get go. Allowing customs essentially increases the quality of moves used overall, and helps mitigate certain debilitating (and quite unecessay) weaknesses that some characters hold. In many cases customs help circumvent or mitigate these weaknesses and allows for a bigger variety of charactets used in tourneys. Seems like an obvious no brainer.

Last edited:

Yutani

Smash Rookie
Whats holding the community back from accepting them? Tournament organizers? Do we need a big announcement or something? Who really decides this? I don't understand smash politics much.

Balgorxz

Smash Journeyman
Whats holding the community back from accepting them? Tournament organizers? Do we need a big announcement or something? Who really decides this? I don't understand smash politics much.
organizers, those are the ones who decide the rules.
I really hope organizers see this and start allowing customs, at least custom palutena for now.

Lvl99Gamer

Smash Cadet
Lack of activity on this thread is slightly disconcerting, we haven't completely given up on Customs have we?

I still think the benefits especially for low-tier characters far outweigh any cons that implementing Customs might bring. Despite playing almost nothing but Luigi I still think variety is essential to Smash 4's success.
Sure some stuff is broken but there's no shame in banning for competitive games, it happens everywhere.

It's just sad to see characters die away on the bottom of every tier list when they could potentially be halfway decent in tournament play and I don't even care if my main Luigi doesn't get to use a single custom, I know I personally don't want to see the same handful of characters every single tourney.

It's still worth fighting for.

Top Bottom