• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Custom controllers/sticks at tournaments?

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
My earliest statements stand. If I were the TO, I would not allow a custom fight stick to be used. While it would be really ****ing cool and would probably lead to much better play through more efficiently designed layout, the smash community has a 100% standard on controller use. Part of this competitive scene being great is that you know no one else can have an advantage you don't have, control wise. It all comes down to training rather than throwing money at better equipment.

NNID
dansalvato
My earliest statements stand. If I were the TO, I would not allow a custom fight stick to be used. While it would be really ****ing cool and would probably lead to much better play through more efficiently designed layout, the smash community has a 100% standard on controller use. Part of this competitive scene being great is that you know no one else can have an advantage you don't have, control wise. It all comes down to training rather than throwing money at better equipment.
I think you should actually let the opponent decide. It should be, in the end, his decision whether he cares about such a thing, since he's the one playing against it. For instance, none of my opponents ever care about controller port selection, so I could garner an advantage by selecting a favorable port if I chose to do so.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Why would anyone ever let someone else use a custom-built fight stick in tournament when they have the option to deny its use?

Like really:

"Hey man, check out this fight stick I built! Yeah man, look at how Y and B rest perfectly under two different fingers now! I can multishine like 17,000 times in a row now! Its AWESOME. And I adjusted the control stick sensitivity to be like WAAAAAY high now and increased the spring strength so I can just tap it to dash in either direction but I still have easy walk/tilting ability by slowly pushing it. Makes it sooo easy to be precise as hell with my movement. So yeah bro, you mind if I use this against you in this tournament match?"

Massive

Smash Champion
Why would anyone ever let someone else use a custom-built fight stick in tournament when they have the option to deny its use?

Like really:

"Hey man, check out this fight stick I built! Yeah man, look at how Y and B rest perfectly under two different fingers now! I can multishine like 17,000 times in a row now! Its AWESOME. And I adjusted the control stick sensitivity to be like WAAAAAY high now and increased the spring strength so I can just tap it to dash in either direction but I still have easy walk/tilting ability by slowly pushing it. Makes it sooo easy to be precise as hell with my movement. So yeah bro, you mind if I use this against you in this tournament match?"
I honestly don't think anybody would care as long as you're not using programmable inputs or some such thing. If somebody showed up and with a DDR pad claiming they could play smash better with it, would you stop them? I sure as hell wouldn't.

As long as they still have to perform all of the same inputs a regular pad user would, they are not getting any abilities a pad user doesn't already have. There are pad and stick users for other fighting games with substantially more precise inputs than melee, and while stick users are more prevalent, there are still many highly skilled pad players.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
That argument has already been used. The 100% standard of controller is the counterargument. I don't feel like repeating it from scratch.

Ultimately it comes down to the TO. The TO can deem is legal or illegal, or implement the opponent-can-decide approach. I would recommend that the TO allow the opponent to decide AT MINIMUM. Making it flat legal in an environment where we have historically had a 100% consistency in control medium would be a controversial decision if that person were to do significantly better than their normal.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
sigh

You used something that already had a counter argument in response to a new statement. Why would anyone allow it if it was optional to play against it? I have not recycled an argument in response to a new statement. People keep recycling old arguments against new statements because they either didn't read or they somehow magically think that repeating themselves is at some point going to make it not false.

My statements, though recycled in use, were never reasonably responded against and as such still hold weight as a legitimate response. You are using things that were already responded to and provide nothing to further develop the conversation.

Puffball of joy

Smash Rookie
Lol, what the hell? Puffball, do you seriously have any reason to pose as me? Haxxy was my former tag, and I'd never say something so incompetent and inconsiderate. Cool story, bro.

p.s. No, you actually made that account in 2010, a good 1.5 years before you "forgot the info".
Um. Yea. Haxxy was my account. When I played RuneScape, Haxxy was in my name. My melee tag was Haxy. My old XBL account was QsDc Haxxy. Another was Haxxy Boy01, and another was HaxxyB. So, Haxxy is OBVIOUSLY my old account? Thanks(:

ajp_anton

Smash Lord
Over here, pretty much all rules are just the default. Players can play by whatever rules they want, as long as they both agree on it. I've seen many cases where a top players allows the other to counterpick Pokefloats or Flatzone simply because they know who will win, and they just want to have some fun =).
I don't see a custom controller being any different. Just ban them and let the players decide what to do with the ban.

Haxxy

Smash Rookie
Um. Yea. Haxxy was my account. When I played RuneScape, Haxxy was in my name. My melee tag was Haxy. My old XBL account was QsDc Haxxy. Another was Haxxy Boy01, and another was HaxxyB. So, Haxxy is OBVIOUSLY my old account? Thanks(:
...You do realize all it takes for me to prove my ownership of the account is to sign in and post from it, right? Lol. I don't know what purpose such a ridiculous lie of yours may serve, but think twice before you try to claim the former account of an active board member as "OBVIOUSLY" yours.
-IE6

Top Bottom