• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Curtains! The Zelda Performance Thread! Critics Welcome~

|ven|

ᵔᴥᵔ かわいい ᵔᴥᵔ
NNID
Hyuven
I have new vids from my last monthly so they're recent :3 I need help on the matches i lost so if you guise have any advice please tell me @_@

Brawl - VBM10 Singles - Lycan (Wolf) vs ven (Zelda) A-LF http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzthI-9ZapU&feature=related

Brawl - VBM10 Singles - ven (Zelda) vs Z (Pikachu, Meta Knight) A-LB3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HJOg-nlRM4&list=PLACED81617E12F45A&index=24&feature=plpp_video

Brawl - VBM10 Singles - BoA (Peach) vs ven (Zelda) A-LB2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4ONY1lMJC0&feature=related

Brawl - VBM10 Singles - ven (Zelda) vs Twinx (Ness) A-WB1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddDtFXcxiUU&list=PLACED81617E12F45A&index=16&feature=plpp_video

Brawl - VBM10 Singles - ven (Zelda) vs Hino (Falco) A-LB1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jatbVGVL3gg&feature=related

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
I love your kicks :grin:

I've only seen the ness, peach and wolf ones. good job!

i've been seeing this whole strat where some zeldas will dins when returning to the stage. I don't know if this is good or not in the long run because most of the time I see them getting punished for it. What do you think?

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-R6TGmeVvQ&feature=channel_video_title
Doubles Finals Set 1 from DNA something or other.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA6TSZRtIIQ&feature=channel_video_title
Doubles Finals set 2 from the same DNA.

Watching these again I make a lot of mistakes. But overall I think as a team Bizkit and I did pretty well. Space animals in general give my Zelda a hard time... and I've always had a tough time as player keeping track of anything that explodes. Maybe we'll get em next time.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Added. That first game of Set 2 was unfortunate :( Fox's up smash too... >_>

Riot I have a few questions if you don't mind humouring me...

When should Zelda camp and play agressive in doubles? Should she lean towards one playstyle or does it depend on the characters (like G&W that shuts down Din's) or even the player?

Also, what do you think about up smash (singles and doubles)? Should it be used more often for racking up damage or should it be saved for KO-ing?

Mocha

Coffee Addict
In the land of princesses, frogs, and dragons
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Good stuff, Riot. I think you and Bizkit make a great team, I've said this before. I team with a Snake here myself. Our problem is when we get rushed or pressured, we have a hard time resetting our positions and pulling it through.

One question though... why did you guys counterpick Castle Siege? I noticed you guys did this several times. I don't see this stage being much help for you guys, except for maybe like having a little more space on the second transformation to camp a bit. But even that didn't seem to work for you guys. I've found that the best stages for this team so far have been FD and PS1 (though PS1's edges suck for us). Just curious about the Castle Siege reasoning...

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Good luck and thanks Riot! <3

I'm going to add that video right now, Bryan :)

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
Riot I have a few questions if you don't mind humouring me...

When should Zelda camp and play agressive in doubles? Should she lean towards one playstyle or does it depend on the characters (like G&W that shuts down Din's) or even the player?

Also, what do you think about up smash (singles and doubles)? Should it be used more often for racking up damage or should it be saved for KO-ing?
I tend to lean toward camping in doubles if it's feasible. I feel like camping is free safe damage against most of the cast. Obviously this will change if another teams camping is better than yours, or if they have a character that can shut down camping. Even then though you'll see in some of my videos that I will still selectively camp even if a GnW or otherwise is around. You can try to mindgame him into bucketing it if your partner is good enough at punishing. Also if you have a Snake on your team since grenades can't be absorbed you can still use Din's for shield pressure or to combo with if the GnW is next to a grenade.

A general idea of what I think in doubles is this.
If my partner is close by and the enemies are together on the other side of the stage. CAMP
If my partner is being mildly aggressive and the enemies are still together amongst him. CAMP. (Worst case scenario you hit just your partner, but he/she should be prepared to either dodge or break Din's. The most common scenario is they all get hit, which is better for your team overall.)
If my partner is being double teamed and I'm far away. CAMP. If that doesn't work... stop and go do something to help.
If my partner is being double teamed and I'm close. AGGRO.
If my partner is being double teamed offstage. CAMP.
These aren't all the situations but it's the basics of how I think in doubles. Obviously there are other siutations etc. but this is just something that keeps me from taking too much damage which allows my partner (Typically a higher tiered character) another stock.

Upsmash.
Upsmash is certainly not a bad move. Obviously it has some issues here and there with DI and that crap. In general I use the move to both rack up damage and to KO. I generally don't take into consideration "saving" this move to KO. It's one of Zelda's better ground moves and isn't easily replaced by any other move in her move set so I find it hard to save it properly. But on that note I know I don't use Uptilt to it's maximum effect (not that the move is good, but it's not useless).

Upsmash in teams is another story. Really good teams will punish you almost every time you use it to hit one of them. As soon as it's over (or even when it's not) you'll be taking damage since the move takes a long time to finish. The best way to avoid this is to get both enemies in one upsmash, but that is not easily accomplished. Average teams, or people without a lot of Zelda experience won't know the correct spacing or what move to use to stop Zelda from finishing upsmash, so these people will sometimes accidentally throw themselves into it in an attempt to stop it. This is great and when you see that this is the case you upsmash more if you can.

The reverse side to the sadness of getting punished for a successful upsmash is that since it takes so long to finish it gives your partner time to combo out of it. Upsmash to snake up air is devastating damage and likely to kill at over 100%

In teams you don't have to worry too much about staling upsmash. When you camp you refresh your moves so it's usually not stale anyways. And if it gets hopefully your partner will still be able to combo out it.

One question though... why did you guys counterpick Castle Siege? I noticed you guys did this several times. I don't see this stage being much help for you guys, except for maybe like having a little more space on the second transformation to camp a bit. But even that didn't seem to work for you guys. I've found that the best stages for this team so far have been FD and PS1 (though PS1's edges suck for us). Just curious about the Castle Siege reasoning...
Typically I'm very passive when it comes to counterpicking. No matter who I team with I usually just say "I don't like these stages, besides those pick what you think is our best bet." Bizkit personally likes castle siege, not sure why exactly besides him being able to live forever. But in general if your partner likes a stage you should learn how to play on it to the best of your ability. We have won on castle siege quite a few times. Not necessarily because Zelda or Snake has any inherent advantage there (and if you look usually I do poorly on the first part of this stage but somewhere between ok and good on the next two.) but because Bizkit is just good on that stage in general so he can make up for my mistakes.

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
I agree about the camping concept in these situations. I also feel like I don't camp as much as I should in doubles and I tend to go after the opponent that is chasing Snake off stage, because I know Snake can struggle with landing/being juggled. Other times I start a combo/set up on my opponent, and they suddenly start getting hit by everything I do, and I go crazy from there, being comfortably aggro. xD

I feel that stages like Smashville make it very hard to camp due to how small it is. The moving platform can help us somewhat while using Din's, but it can also hurt us. I saw Diddy punish you several times from you being on that platform, and this also happens to me vs other characters.

Oh that reminds me, c4 stickies. I noticed you guys don't do this as much (though it's trickier in 2v2) but in a 2v1 situation especially (port priority may also be applicable) it can be helpful at times. If my damage is too high and Snake stickies me, I usually sticky it back on him (unless his damage is high too) or I try to get it on my opponent. If I can't touch my opponent for awhile I just warn my partner to blow it up while I hold my shield. Doing this near your opponent can also catch them in the explosion. I guess c4 sticky is situational in general, but I'm sure it can have its uses for you guys sometime

Keep beasting in doubles Riot (:

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Wow really nice writeup... I'll definitely agree with your doubles playstyle and Zelda does get away with Din's camping more than she should... even against G&W.

Maybe I should try using up smash more in singles rather than as a KO move...

Fuujin

Smash Champion
Just realized none of my vids are on here

Singles:
http://youtu.be/mYoQok1CRkg vs Tmacc
http://youtu.be/YyHoq-KDFtA vs FAE

I noticed in the current metagame Zelda's seem to rely on her smash attacks a lot, like for killing AND racking up damage and her smash attacks end up killing later than they should because they're almost never fresh.
I've been working on not staling my smash attacks and I noticed it makes a huge difference, Zelda's smashes can actually kill very early if they aren't stale.

I still probably ended up getting away with Nayru's love more than I should have but I think I had some really smart usages at times.
I also noticed I never pummeled for some reason.

Dubs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQZHU7TSh3s

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Okay, thread has been updated!

Not sure what to think about not using any smash attacks until KO-ing. We need fsmash as a keep away and damage racker... it's only a matter of time until the opponent knows to watch out for down tilt. Nayru's is pretty risky, but not useless... Riot was saying how staling up smash isn't necessarily a bad thing too...

Hmm...

Conspiracy*

Smash Cadet
Help me out a bit with staling...I know that spamming the same move consecutively will make that move less effective = Stale. What I am unsure of is how to refresh it...I thought the "stale meter" kept track of the last 10 moves you did. Once Move 1 cycled through move 11 move 1 would be fresh again is that correct? Example: Fsmash Fsmash Fsmash would put me at the 3x decay for that move but if I did Fsmash then 10 jabs my next Fsmash would be completely fresh.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Edit: I'm unnecessarily complicating things.

The decay rates of damage and launch power depend on the move. I don't know if being KOed affects anything or not. I think most moves must hit the opponent to count. I don't know if hitting stage elements (Brinstar pillars etc) or items counts or not.
Some moves will only freshen 1 time like Wolf's pummel. Only the 1st pummel for each grab freshens.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Hitting a stage element counts towards the staleness queue. Items also count towards decay.

Getting KO'd refreshes all your moves.

Fuujin

Smash Champion
Okay, thread has been updated!

Not sure what to think about not using any smash attacks until KO-ing. We need fsmash as a keep away and damage racker... it's only a matter of time until the opponent knows to watch out for down tilt. Nayru's is pretty risky, but not useless... Riot was saying how staling up smash isn't necessarily a bad thing too...

Hmm...
Well I never said don't use any smash attacks unless you're trying to KO lol.
I just don't think they should be relied on to rack up damage AND kill.

Like no offense but if you watch some of the matches on the front page such as

[COLLAPSE="Ones like these"]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HJOg-nlRM4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJGKD_zLKK8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzthI-9ZapU[/COLLAPSE]
You just see that the Zelda's pretty heavily rely on smash attacks and the occasional D tilt lock (then hoping they don't DI out) as their main source of racking up damage.
This is nice and all, but against a smart player they're going to figure this out fast and it's going to stop working.

This coupled with how different the brawl metagame is as opposed to two years ago.
2 years ago(more like 1 and 1/2 actually) when got offline the only people who would DI side smash were Legan and Mr Doom, now it seems like it's much more common to have people DI out of it.
Sort of like how people actually keep their shield up during up smash and punish you for it.

I'm just saying Zelda has plummeted down the tier list and her metagame hasn't gone anywhere and with the way a lot of the current Zelda's are playing nothing is seeming to change.
A lot of us have been doing the same thing since 2009 and look where that's gotten us, arguable the worst character in the game.

Hitting a stage element counts towards the staleness queue. Items also count towards decay.

Getting KO'd refreshes all your moves.
I always wondered, if the opponent cancels out Din's with an aerial does it count toward refreshing their moveset?

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
I suppose... but Zelda is just so limited what else can she even do?

I think Alan once said that having your Din's Fire get cancelled still counts toward the queue.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Hey Ed what's good man?

Oh yeah I wanted to mention... I'll be glad to record/upload any videos of Zelda. Just don't give me a million replays at once :)

Fuujin

Smash Champion
Hey Ed what's good man?

Oh yeah I wanted to mention... I'll be glad to record/upload any videos of Zelda. Just don't give me a million replays at once :)
I wish i had know that at apex lol.
I had MMs with steep, prawn, mikehaze, leon, pink fresh, oro, raptor, arty, wang, izumi, etc that I wanted to record.

:phone:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I think Alan once said that having your Din's Fire get cancelled still counts toward the queue.
NO NO NO NO

NO NO NO NO

It doesn't. It'll only count if it hits something, like Wario, or Wario's bike.

It doesn't stale if it hits a shield or clashes with anything.

:phone:

#HBC | Scary

Hype Incarnate
NNID
ScaryLB59
Awwww, it doesn't? I always thought it did. So that's what Riddle was yelling at me about.

Also, thanks Courier! I'm hanging in there, classes giving me a little more time than I expected so I've entered a few things. I have a handful of replays I think but mink has them all. I'll see what I can do.

Conspiracy*

Smash Cadet
back to building damage...

I'll have to evaluate a few matches of mine but it feels like I build more damage with nair, dash attack, din's then I do with smash attacks.
For example: The zeldas I've seen in my area (schism, lvl1) and quite a few I've seen on youtube will use multiple consecutive usmash attacks to build damage. I on the other hand almost NEVER follow an usmash with another usmash. I will either:
combo it to nair and dins while falling
or wait for them to get close to ground nair to utilt
or short hop uair

Based on watch replays I am more aggressive than most other zeldas I see and therefore lose a lot of matches that I shouldn't.

Rizen

Smash Legend
If I KO with a Usmash so it's a little stale and I can catch the opponent in a Usmash after they return then I'll try another Usmash. I judge their DI and move left or right a little and can usually get 2 in a row. Or 3 if the opponent's not good. Then I fight normally and usually refresh Usmash enough to KO with it later; if not Utilt fills that gap.

Lol I wified a noob who had things like items on. Later I noticed he set the damage ratio so characters could take tons of damage and not be launched far. So I switched to Zelda and did the trick mentioned above; his Luigi was hit by 7 Usmashes chained together for 100%-160% damage:rotfl:

Mocha

Coffee Addict
NNID
Mocha151
3DS FC
4640-0063-5592
Wow Fujin, I enjoyed watching those matches against the D3 and FAE. You have become more patient than you used to be, bait for more attacks, and I did notice you didn't use smashes as much early on. Very nice improvement from your part, and I was impressed with you beating FAE especially. Keep up the awesome work

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Awwww, it doesn't? I always thought it did. So that's what Riddle was yelling at me about.

Also, thanks Courier! I'm hanging in there, classes giving me a little more time than I expected so I've entered a few things. I have a handful of replays I think but mink has them all. I'll see what I can do.
Man Ed you sent somewhere around 40 replays for me to record. And on that note... expect even more videos soon.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
Lmao. I blame Mink. He was lazy lol. It would never come in bulk like this. Hopefully I have stuff in there :awesome:
Too lazy to make it look pretty so here my first batch:

http://youtu.be/6MLJsvX4-2g
http://youtu.be/XNrSJxrH4EY
http://youtu.be/1Om_lR_4JiI
http://youtu.be/H6z_FUDifn4
http://youtu.be/QlAIVZVK3ds
http://youtu.be/sWs9303dhRY
http://youtu.be/p9uKXOJQSyM

Only recording stuff with Zelda, Sheik, ZSS, Wolf, and Puff apparently. There are a ton of doubles as well but there's a tourney in my area on the weekend and they kinda get to have stuff recorded first so :( I'll record and upload bit by bit hopefully everyday.

Alacion

Sunny skies
Premium
NNID
Alacion
3DS FC
0216-0918-5299
ZSS is like... Marth and Donkey Kong. Their attack range really gives Zelda a hard time.

Besides power shielding... I have no idea what Zelda can do.

Top Bottom