• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide CunningKitsune's Guide to Ace Arwing Pilot Fox McCloud

jetcombo15

Smash Rookie
A lot of times, I hold L for too long, when L-cancelling, and it shields. It's also because sometimes I tap L more than just once, just to make sure I did it properly. That also happens to me when wavedashing.
Oh, and what makes waveshining so much different than wavedashing? How do you go back into the shine after wavedashing?
Also, when waveshining, do you have to jump out of the shine so as to barely lift off the ground, like in regular wavedashing, or can you jump higher, making it that much easier?
One last thing, is the shine Fox's only spike?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to learn how to waveshine properly.

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
This is a good guide. I skimmed through it, and it seems pretty awesome. I was just wondering why it isn't stickied... ...it looks like sticky material to me...

D1

Banned via Administration
FINALMENTE!!!

I'm just happy the best guide on SWF has finally been stickied especially for the best character in the game IMO.

GO CK!

Dude got 32nd in FC3 good sh**!!!

BIG C

Smash Master
c'mon now cunning where's that update the ppl were promised imean u were workin on it forever. I mean I don't want because I am so much better than you. I'm jkin man take ur time and get all that AP homework done. anywayz im off to school so peace.

Servatsia

Smash Cadet
This is *amazing*. I might even print it out. WOW. I'm a full-on Sheik player, but your mind games definately worked. I'll feel better playing with a more difficult chara, even if it takes longer to learn.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
Quite extensive guide, and it covers every single thing about fox.
I would like to fight you sometime to prove who is the real Fox master.

wanna get pumped up with the starfox team? check out in the "who do u think is better fox and falco" thread I will BRIEFLY show you some effective technics and combos. And the best way of training (pros only).

Any hardcore smasher in Puerto Rico that dares to challenge me feel free to send me an e-mail or a private message.

....later :psycho:

Barogrei

Smash Apprentice
If there is one thing that this guide lacks, it is the aspect of fox that takes place on the outside of the tv screen. Though the apparent answer to that is to say that you just have to press the buttons that are named, it is a bit more complicated than that, especially with fox.

For example, when waveshining with fox, it is a good idea to allow the control stick to neutral position immediately after initiating the shine before placing it at the desired angle. If you shift it from down straight to the desired position there may be some equivocability as to what angle you are wavedashing at. If nothing else, waveshining this way gives you good habits for backwards waveshining.

You could always bring up the redepressing the y versus sliding to it for the jump cancel of the shine. Lately, I've been preferring redepressing because I feel it gives a little more control, and it is definitely possibly to execute both with the same speed.

Also, when I was just a noob, I remember trying to muscle my way into wavedashing, jumpcancelling, and just about everything. You should bring up that playing fox effectively means using the controller as conservatively as possible for the given set of moves that you want fox to do. Now, I'm pretty sure that when i shorthop, my finger is on the button for even less than the necessary amount. Trying to muscle your way through high level techniques will probably make them all the more unwieldy: keep button pressing light, and keep your thumb on something for no longer than necessary.

All of this must be incredibly obvious to the more avid smashers, but i feel that the controller is the only medium through which we can control our character, and how to most effectively use this liaison would be very useful to newcomers to fox.

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
Progress Report

Alright, I must admit that the next long-awaited update to the guide is still in the works. Unfortunately, I was not able to complete it before the start of school, which obviously places a far heavier time restriction on me than I would like. However, the good news is that the update is roughly 80% done; all that remains is the media compilation and the character-specific match-ups. As it stands now, the guide weighs in at 210 kB or so.

Thank you for your patience.

Fox_RKO

Smash Rookie
Um. Hello People Of Smashboards, could someone please explain to me what a tilt is? and do smashes work in air? and is there a good video of wavedashing around?

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
A tilt is an attack where you tilt the control stick in a specific direction and press A. no, you can't mash in the air, and yes, almost all good videos involve wavedashing. Try any famous vid like Shined Blind (my own favorite).

About this guide, probably the best guide around, it helped me out. Thanks, CK.

Fox_RKO

Smash Rookie
Thankyou everybody! and a big thankyou to CunningKitsune for his/her guide!
for wavedashing i've watched, fox trix, shined blind and shineanigans, so do you air dodge on the ground and just briefly touch the jump then wavedash across the floor, or is it foxtrotting in shined blind?

Shadow-Kitsune

Smash Cadet
There's an explanation about wavedashing somewhere on page 9 or 10 of this thread...I did it pretty thoroughly. (and then corrected, by DDRKirbyISQ)

Foxtrotting is just using the dash animation, and ONLY the dash animation (without the actual 'dash') to get somewhere. I (and pretty much everyone else on smashboards) feel that foxtrot isn't that useful. If you want to learn it, go ahead. Whatever floats your boat.

NovaWave

Smash Journeyman
I've never seen anyone in a vid foxtrot. but I've done it myself a few times. I don't think its that much faster than normal dashing, but it does look kewl :laugh:

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
Mad props to Kitsune. Nigh on 2-3 years ago I read a guide made by you, and man did it help me become the Fox-ownage machine I am today. Hell, I wouldn't even know that you could jump out of reflector. (Of course, I would've found out later, but anyway...)

Just Dan

Smash Rookie
I just recently started playing smash again, completely oblivious of any of these new advanced techniques you all use, but I found this guide on GameFAQs and that ultimately led me here. Now I'm trying to learn all of Fox's best moves to become a much better player. Thanks for that, CunningKitsune. Your guide alone taught me so much. Hehe, just wait till I play my old smash friends, who still have no idea about these new tactics.

Shenred

Smash Rookie
AWESOME job. Thanks for the work you've put into it, because it's really starting to help my game. Also, thanks for linking to this site (originally saw it on gamefaqs).

Shiro Kageryu

Smash Journeyman
Wow, really thourough. I'm still thinking of making Fox my secondary. After hearing the challenge of using Fox I think I really will give him a shot. It really sounds fun to try to use him properly. THX

Invincible Fox

Smash Journeyman
Cunning Kitsune your guide is amazing, I have learned so much from reading it. I haven't seen this much information on a single character anywhere. It's incredible and goes so in depth of Fox. If I were you I would make my own website and have this be the star of it!

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
what more can he add?
*hasnt seen the guide since i posted back on page 2 or w/e*

six

Smash Ace
NovaWave said:
I've never seen anyone in a vid foxtrot. but I've done it myself a few times. I don't think its that much faster than normal dashing, but it does look kewl :laugh:
It is, but you can't really mindgame a fox-trot, and if you mess it up you just sort of stop, so it's not really a big enough difference to be worth doing. It's kinda cool looking after a kill, as sort of a victory gallop ;-)

Nice guide, ck. I likey, I likey.

GreenEyeS

Smash Rookie
Brilliant guide Kitsune, worthy of recognition in the Jedi Archiv... I mean, Star Fox archives!

Even though I've just started out with SSBM, I have quickly taken a great liking to Fox. I think that's because I always favour fast styles of play in these sort of games and generally because I just find Fox to be an amazingly styilized charcter... What I mean is, oftentimes, to me, as much is winning is important, winning with a degree of 'controlled style' is much more important.

Once again, thanks Kitsune, for writing such a great work... And of course, now theres no need for me to post tons of mindless newb questions and score myself an early ban!

Long live Fox!!!

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
heh, it's the lack of reflector data from this guide that started me off with my guide

Uno

Smash Journeyman
Wow. This is easily the best Guide on any character I have ever read, well down, you didnt skip anything worth mentioning. :)

Thanks for doing this,i bet it took you a while. Maybe I'll frame it. :chuckle:

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
Hey CunningKitsune their is something missing in this awesome guide that I'll tell you the idea and you'll add it to the guide with your articulate diction ok? here it is:

I don't know if any body else (other than myself) in the smash community have used this technique (I haven't seen any fox vids with guys applying this technique).

I call it the "Double shine dash":

How to do it?

Basic steps:
1.Run towards your opponent
2.Dash cancel when you're reaching your opponent
3.Place the pointing finger(of your right hand) on the B-button
4.And your middle finger(of your right hand) on the y-button
5.when you are dashing close enough to your opponent that can be shined...
6.Speedingly Tap this buttons in the following order: B,Y,B!

If done correctly, your opponent will be shined twice like a wave shine but without the wd.
So you will effectively double shine while dashing or "gliding" in the ground.
This attack is great for fastfallers like fox,falco & cf.
IT'S HARD TO MASTER because you will have to change your hand's possition.
Also great for shine spiking in the ledge.

Well there it is, I hope to see some hardcore foxes(like me) in the future performing this beautiful, complicated atttack.

Tell me guys, did you knew this already? or am I the FATHER of this great move?
(I hope I helped you with something)

..........later

Top Bottom