• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CTBD 3 Upstate NY Regional 150+ Participants

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Thank you to everyone involved in making this event what it was: another record breaking event in Upstate NY!! We had people from all over the state and representation from out of region that amounted to 150 smashers. If you're not on it already get on the Syracuse Smash Facebook page see see about more Cusetown Beatdown events, as well as the date to the first upcoming bi-weekly event held on Smash Sundays at Cloud City and news on some big changes at Cloud City in terms of venue!! Keep your eyes on the Upstate NY Social Thread for tournament listings in all of Upstate NY as well.

Congrats to all the participants for coming and delivering a plentiful amount of beatdowns, now claim your points (:

CTBD3 Wii U Singles
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
boss
$215.00
2nd
agn | San
$86.00
3rd
AGN KIDGoggles
$60.20
4th
Agn | PikaPika
$38.70
5th
AceExPaY
$15.05
5th
Smack / URL K.I.R.
$15.05
7th
BING | Scrub Casual
7th
Alx|bird
9th
Bing|Lou
9th
Noe3

CTBD3 Wii U Doubles
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
San Pikapika
2nd
boss H8md
3rd
Catnip TC
4th
Smack / URL K.I.R. ScrubCasual
5th
Bing|Lou GraffitiMclean
5th
guidosaur Noe3
7th
kamon Zodiac
7th
gin crash
9th
Justice TheDarkKnight
9th
odelper Alex

CTBD3 Project M Singles
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
boss8
$150.00
2nd
TheManaLord
$75.00
3rd
Mask
$25.00
4th
Catnip
5th
Rustypan
5th
TC
7th
TimmWith2M's
9th
Ayslum
9th
Iceman

CTBD3 Project M Doubles
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
Ayslum + PikaPika
2nd
boss + tc1
3rd
TheManaLord + Beta
4th
Mask + Ringworm
5th
Iceman + Nick
5th
Mako + Jdubs
7th
TimmWith2M's + Bway
7th
Rez + Eddy
9th
Syko + Higgins
9th
kieth + Ethx

CTBD3 Melee Singles
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
Catnip
$192.50
2nd
boss
$77.00
3rd
TheManaLord
$53.90
4th
Equal
$34.65
5th
TC
$13.48
5th
Beta
$13.48
7th
Ringworm
7th
hungry Pidgeon
9th
Iceman
9th
CR| GSO

CTBD 3 Melee Doubles
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
TC Catnip
2nd
Jank Ayslum
3rd
Beta Manalord
4th
CR| GSO Pig
5th
Iceman Nick
5th
Flaco Higgins
7th
Nato DuckDynasty
7th
Pyro Soldier
9th
Barry Blaze Goodles
9th
Equal Prodigy

Loup

The Wolf
NNID
Frishy
3DS FC
0877-0305-4883
How the hell did I get 17th in PM? I'm really surprised, considering I should have tied for a lower place even though I won twice. \~(?.?)~/

Although I had fun running through Loser's bracket in Smash 4 in singles. Getting 13th place after not having played a single game of Smash 4 since the prior Cusetown Series.

Shout outs to several people.
First to Eric aka The Manalord for organizing this tournament.
Second to Austin aka abCrash for giving me a ride to the event.
Third to all the assistant TOs who volunteered to run Smash 4 all by themselves. Thanks Jay, Kieth (how do you mess up spelling that Beta), and Litoh.
Fourth to Noe3 for the awesomely hype recording setup.
And lastly, thanks Alex aka Chaos for teaming with me in Smash 4 because your teammate bailed. I had a ton of fun.

Last edited:

Equal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiEqual
3DS FC
2036-7236-5480
This was a fun tournament. Shout outs to 'cuse for outplacing all of WNY in Melee :^) Coming for you next time Mana! And Beta, definitely need to play you too.

Is there gonna be a brackets?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
ALL SMASH 4 PLAYERS

Follow my facebook page so that you can be notified of other smash tournaments so we can support the upstate scene more. We need buffalo, syracuse and rochester (and even sometimes albany) to travel more between each other and cross pollenate each others tournaments.

https://m.facebook.com/SmashtheRoc
Ill also be posting vids of all the new ATs and guides and ways to advance your game

Last edited:

x13mako

Smash Ace
Was I included in the Project M results?

EDIT: We both lost to Asylum (weirdly enough), but I lost a round earlier.

Last edited:

Jank++

Smash Cadet
EDIT: We both lost to Asylum (weirdly enough), but I lost a round earlier.
Asylum's the mako killer ;)

GG's everyone! It was fun to see y'all as always. Shout out to tom for carrying my campy ass in teams. Shout out to all the puff players coming out of the wood work (Pig, PKFlash, Robbie irrc). Remember guys: if anyone whines or tries to discredit your wins just camp em out even harder. Also shoutout to everyone who drove multiple hours to make cusetown the consistently biggest upstate local. ....finally shoutout to MDVA for the money grab, we'll bop ya next time :)

I don't think I'll be entering non-melee events in the future. I never play pm or sm4sh outside of tournament and as much as I like to boost the prize pot for games I don't care about I'll abstain.

Last edited:

Loup

The Wolf
NNID
Frishy
3DS FC
0877-0305-4883
Did Melee run pools or not?
I thought they did, but was there an issue making pools and seeding them/time issue? Or does the TO program bracket not print out stuff in pools.

Also, assuming we get the same amount if better turnout for Smash 4, I think the effort should be put towards pools, even if it takes 5 more minutes to make and seed a bracket for, it makes TO lives easier and getting matches going a LOT faster, from all my experience with melee pools.

Because honestly, there were several points we could have started singles faster when doubles was still running, but we were letting people play friendlies. Which leads to my next point, which is that while I love people playing friendlies considering they did pay a 10$ venue fee, it's a slight pain when TOing from what I saw due to our limited venue size and amount of setups. The few big events i did travel out to in NYC or in PA/OH have typically zero friendlies once bracket starts, which has several advantages.

1st, TO's know all the matches being played are tournament, and won't interrupt any players to find out if the game is tournament, which can be frustrating to players who are actually playing tournament games.
2nd, It makes everything go faster based on the simple and basic logic. More open setups = more tournament games being played = faster events = everyone happy = more time for friendlies/special fun events like 3v3 in Smash 4 or Crew Battles.
3rd, in combination with pools, allows for doubles and single events for a series to be ran at the same time, which saves time.
4th, it makes everyone who is recording or streaming any event life so much easier, because it means they don't have guess which games they should actually upload or not as tournament games, and it makes streaming so much more professional, assuming we can find a source of internet to stream events on.

I'm just tossing this out there considering this was actually a regional sized tournament, and I expect the turnout for the next in the series to be even bigger, due to how awesome this, and all the other Cusetown tournaments series have been, not to mention the growth of Smash in our region.

Also, we seriously need a TO tip jar or something, Mana. You guys were awesome.

Last edited:

Jank++

Smash Cadet
Jank you said upstate local, a tourny of over 150 is considered regional or super regional btw ;)
Slightly misleading number as the number of entrants for the individual events was lower. But yeah, I'm down for branding cusetown as a regional at this point :p

Did Melee run pools or not?
It was straight bracket. I agree with you though, the one time we ran pools it worked out pretty well. I think there's enough regulars to hand out pool captain obligations to which should remove some of the stress/work from the TO's.

Last edited:

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
Any and all help is always appreciated, I'd be happy to bring people on who are willing to dedicate themselves to making it run smoothly and give us the ability to do more. The bi-weeklies that will be coming are going to be a great testing ground for us to work on things (like stream) for when we do have Cusetown Beatdowns- continuous improvement in game and out of game. <3

DahremRuhar

Smash Ace
Kieth (how do you mess up spelling that Beta)
It's a very common mistake.

Shoutouts to the Smash 4 players for not beating me up.
Shoutouts to Tio for needing to be more efficient.
Shoutouts to the Charizard/Ganon matchup for making me sad.
Shoutouts to down-taunt kills for making me happy.
Shoutouts to an unnamed Smash 4 player for getting salty, leaving and not telling any TO's, resulting in a good portion of Smash 4 winners being delayed (seriously, who does that ****, we've all lost to San and/or Pika Pika at one point or another; get over it)

Shoutouts to Mana and Beta for being awesome TOs.
Shoutouts to Litoh for being loud and helpful.
Shoutouts to san for not being dead.
Shoutouts to Ricky for being helpful.
Shoutouts to Goggles for commentating to himself.
Shoutouts to CNY/WNY players for thinking they are relevant enough for me to actually remember their names.
Shoutouts to Cusetown for consistently being the best tournaments I've attended.

Ya'll are great.

Last edited:
Top Bottom