• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(Critique please) Everyone's a critic...

Wafflez

Smash Journeyman
So now you get to be one too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBLkugTGBgg Link vs Fox (Lol, ledgeguard)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHYvGdyUfFA Link vs Wolf (Sandbagging included!)

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmW-G7amAlA Link vs Shiek (My 100th video on Youtube!) NEW

I'll have some more up later, and I'll edit them in as I upload more.

I fail at ledgehopping/Link in general.

In the vs Fox match, it was just a good chance for me to practice my Zair ledgeguarding. Worked nicely too, though I missed my 3rd oppurunity.

In the vs Wolf match, I lost because I whiffed a Zair ledgeguard and a terrible spot of bad luck took away my last stock, as well as my first. Yohto got lucky, LUCKY I TELL YOU! I HAD that match but it was taken away from me. Such is the nature of us poor Link mains...

Also, here's a random Ike video for those of you who fight for your friends:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZVHY73MxBE Ike vs Pikachu (3-stocked)

Also, my friends and I have had so many "Fail" moments that I will be making an Epic Fail Montage to show just how terrible we can be sometimes. And I'm starting to get close to the point where I'm going to be making a combo vid. Expect more from me in these next few weeks/days. I have things planned.
A sneak peek for my non-Link combo vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkWCpft0UWU NEW

I'll start working on my Link combo vid in due time.

In other news, HIYAYAYA! NEW

Also, I decided to take a quick shot at ArkiveZero.

Lol, he's been supporting me but I couldn't resist taking the chance to mess with him a bit.

His fault for telling you to 'do work'. >_>

Edit; son.

second edit; I've only watched the Fox video so far and I have to say I'm impressed with your zair edgegaurding :p I have a hard time edgaurding space animal sideBs.. :p You are infact good, a few tips I'd give. (take them with salt as I'm all but unknown :p But I don't suck, promise!)

Work a bit of fast fall into your game o: FF'd nair>Fox's dash. (Also, nice for spacing.)

And ledgehops, they're actualyl easy to learn if you play Ganon at all because it's alot liek AC'd dairs. Tap back off the ledge, then immediately roll your thumb from Y to A, and then press forward to the stage for a nair, or just drop back to regrab. For Fair it's similiar.

Nice Link, also, Blue Link's FTW =D and LOL at hot potato bomb. "****, it's gonna asplode, HERE!" Fox; *catch* huh? *boom*

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Can't criticize your sandbagging. :p

You've definitely improved from your last vids. You had some nice edgehogs (lol at the second Fox one), but you still have room for improvement. Fastfall your aerials, especially if you miss, and learn the radius of certain attacks-- I noticed in your vs Wolf vid towards the beginning, you were on the platform while Wolf was below you and a little to the left. When he did his usmash, you were clearly not going to be hit: and yet you shielded and held the shield through his attack. Try to be more opportunistic against opponents when they mess up, because Link really needs to take advantage of his opponent's mistakes to win.

Edit: And tell Misfate to NOT use Pikachu's Upair. And to not grab-release on a minutely basis.

MisFate

Smash Rookie
Ill try not to
/me lurks
Edit: The Link vs Sheik video is your 101st video on youtube, not the 100th
/me lurks more
Edit2: The potato chips are a lie (No johns!)
/me continues lurking

Wafflez

Smash Journeyman
And ledgehops, they're actualyl easy to learn if you play Ganon at all because it's alot liek AC'd dairs. Tap back off the ledge, then immediately roll your thumb from Y to A, and then press forward to the stage for a nair, or just drop back to regrab. For Fair it's similiar.

Nice Link, also, Blue Link's FTW =D and LOL at hot potato bomb. "****, it's gonna asplode, HERE!" Fox; *catch* huh? *boom*
Why spank you very much. I'm working on my FFing, it'll get there. I know how to ledgehop, I just don't always time it right and I end up looking stupid. xD

Can't criticize your sandbagging. :p

You've definitely improved from your last vids. You had some nice edgehogs (lol at the second Fox one), but you still have room for improvement. Fastfall your aerials, especially if you miss, and learn the radius of certain attacks-- I noticed in your vs Wolf vid towards the beginning, you were on the platform while Wolf was below you and a little to the left. When he did his usmash, you were clearly not going to be hit: and yet you shielded and held the shield through his attack. Try to be more opportunistic against opponents when they mess up, because Link really needs to take advantage of his opponent's mistakes to win.

Edit: And tell Misfate to NOT use Pikachu's Upair. And to not grab-release on a minutely basis.
But, am I sandbagging correctly? Should I crouch spam or dashdance when messing around?

Also, the shield is my friend. It's there for a reason, I like hiding in it. I feel safe in there.
But yah, next time he's gunna get shieldgrabbed.

So yeah, I've been working on my fastfalls now. I'll get the hang of it soon enough.

So far, my fortes are edgehogging and I'm pretty confident about my off-stage game. (Not... TOO far off-stage though). Also, I'm great at making idiotic mistakes that cost me a stock.

I never thought my Link would recieve such positive feedback. I'm... GOOD?
That's like saying Link's Up-B goes upwards!

...Does it? I looked hard at the videos and I can't seem to tell. Hmmmm, I should look into that.

ALSO, new videos are added in for people to watch!

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Lol, I have no idea. Maybe? :3
Well, there are hilarious ways to sandbag, lame ways to sandbag, and average ways to sandbag.

For instance, swearing loudly and telling your opponent they tricked you into KO-ing them might be useful mindgame sandbagging. You're clearly not trying your hardest if they MADE you kill them. Not really sandbagging, but more or less just letting your opponent know that you WERE sandbagging.

Running past your opponents when they think you're going to attack them is a great way to sandbag. This also applies to edgeguarding; whenever you chase the opponent off the ledge let them go right past you and back onto the stage. These are average sandbaggings.

A good way to sandbag is to chase your opponent around the stage, copying whatever they do. Just stay out of arm's reach.

A stupid way to sandbag is to sit in one place with your shield up. It's lame. Same for charging arrows.

My FAVORITE way to sandbag, which I did all the time in Melee, is to become a Suicide Bomber. Grab a bomb, rush your opponent and throw the bomb so that it will hit both you and your opponent. This is the true sandbagger's way. And ONLY do this for the rest of the match.

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
Edgehogging noobs on basic is hilarious, because they don't know they can't grab it so they get their soul crushed and quit brawl because it "hates" them.

Really, Really, fun.

Sorry, I know run-on sentences have never solved the world's problems.

g2g4l

Smash Apprentice
yea try to make your game play a little more fluid. Got to get used to not stopping to think about waht to do next but knowing all of links options and automatically doing them.Practice getting back on stage effectively i mean if one thing doesn't work don't try it twice switch it up and you should have no problem getting back on. I saw you experimenting with the jab lock the Dsmash is really quick coming out and will most likely hit. I've only watched the first one so i'll watch the other soon. But nice job with the chain off stage. you were really good overall i would say from what i saw *****five fairies out of ten considering i think of my self as only seven we both have a long way to go

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Don't suck.

Idk, I haven't watched the vids (No plans to) but all you gotta learn is your combos. I'm just inferring from g2g4l's post. If your game needs more fluency than you need to learn some combos. Basic **** combos. Dthrow->bair->Jump rang. Stuff like that. Lern2combos

sasook

Smash Champion
To be honest, you stood still a lot. Even if only for a second, you were standing still doing nothing, as if waiting or thinking what to do. Just try to keep moving all the time, plan out your moves while taking out a bomb or throwing a boomerang, rather than thinking and standing.

Wafflez

Smash Journeyman
To be honest, you stood still a lot. Even if only for a second, you were standing still doing nothing, as if waiting or thinking what to do. Just try to keep moving all the time, plan out your moves while taking out a bomb or throwing a boomerang, rather than thinking and standing.
I wasn't thinking. I was taking a second to wipe the grease and salt off my hands. I should really make a habit of NOT eating potato chips while I play. Maybe I'll say "no food" at the next meet. xD

sasook

Smash Champion
I wasn't thinking. I was taking a second to wipe the grease and salt off my hands. I should really make a habit of NOT eating potato chips while I play. Maybe I'll say "no food" at the next meet. xD
Oh lol, my mistake then. If you're gonna wipe off stuff, play with one hand while you do it. It's actually really fun lol, I've done it before. Well, not against humans, but I've done it before.

During that part in SSE when it's Link and Yoshi vs. Mario and Pit, I had to play as both Mario and Pit because my friend isn't good at the game and kept dying, so he made me play single-handedly. I won on my first try rofl

Wafflez

Smash Journeyman
Oh lol, my mistake then. If you're gonna wipe off stuff, play with one hand while you do it. It's actually really fun lol, I've done it before. Well, not against humans, but I've done it before.

During that part in SSE when it's Link and Yoshi vs. Mario and Pit, I had to play as both Mario and Pit because my friend isn't good at the game and kept dying, so he made me play single-handedly. I won on my first try rofl
If word got out that I played Brawl with one hand, it would destroy my reputation...
Lol.

So my first Smash Brothers Club meet was today, and I directed it. I noticed that I do take a quick second to pause sometimes after smashing the opponent away, so I suppose it's something that I'm going to have to work on.

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
Well I watched the vids and our styles are totally different! You seem to take a steady approach and your opponent gets worried about what you're gonna do and then makes a mistake.

I notice you jab cancel a lot, which is good but mix up what you do afterward. Charge a dsmash and wait till they try to dodge, or short hop nair for a lasting hit box then they undoubtedly try to roll behind you or dmash you. that's all I can think of right now... but man that fox player was probably mad...

D

Deleted member

work on spacing, DI and speed

learn to jab cancel and speed hug

stop randomly full hopping

Wafflez

Smash Journeyman
Well I watched the vids and our styles are totally different! You seem to take a steady approach and your opponent gets worried about what you're gonna do and then makes a mistake.

I notice you jab cancel a lot, which is good but mix up what you do afterward. Charge a dsmash and wait till they try to dodge, or short hop nair for a lasting hit box then they undoubtedly try to roll behind you or dmash you. that's all I can think of right now... but man that fox player was probably mad...
They make mistakes because while we play, I give them a death glare that makes them mindgame themselves.
Kidding.

It's almost muscle memory to to A A Grab, but I'm working on changing it into other things like a Dsmash or Fsmash.
MisFate was astounded that I had learned to Zair ledgeguard him since out last matches.

work on spacing, DI and speed

learn to jab cancel and speed hug

stop randomly full hopping
DI and speeding up my playstyle are my main priorities at the moment.
I don't know exactly why I keep full hopping, it may be a habit that I need to break.

Deva

Smash Lord
well, because you live in Washington I have to give you a 10/10. Washingtonians ftw. Move out of the state if you want a more in depth critique =P.

chandy

Smash Journeyman
gd work wafflez :). Personally though I wud use ur gale boomerang and zair more often followed by a DAC becoz zair and gale boomerang set up combos very well in my opinion. I also noticed u using jab cancel a lot. Personally I don't use it and this is probably a bad thing but if u r going to use it try and speed up the final attack becoz u went for the grabs often and missed and it left u very vunerable. Nice use of Zair Edgeguarding in the Fox match up. Also against Wolf ( I have no idea wat sandbagging is) the wolf seemed very spammy at times. If he starts to spam try to attack from range with Gale Boomerang and arrows and get him to approach u becoz u picked up quite a bit of damage from trying to approach him on the ground. If u wanna make an approach do it in the air using ur zair or nair. Apart from that ur Link is very good. ( A lot of these points were just my opinion on how I play Link so I may be telling u sum facts where ur way may be better :))

Top Bottom