• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique My Roy Please

stabbedbyanipple

Smash Master
My friend and I were playing some Roy dittos yesterday, and we wanted to do an mm, so I challenged him to one. We didn't want them to be just normal Roy dittos, so we added a twist. They can only be on Great Bay! That means no counterpicks, which is a nice break from your standard tourney rules. Pretty creative, huh? Anyway, without further ado, here are the resulting videos!

Match 1

Match 2

Match 3

Thanks!

LooksLikePit

Smash Ace
That Roy is kinda bleh. You should see my Roy! I only have a few vids though, and they are pretty old. Try using dtilt more and tech chasing. Also, I didn't see you side-b once during that. You should consider maining a different character, because I can't see your Roy going anywhere.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Disregard what LLP said.

I only watched a bit of each video, since that's about all I needed to get a grasp of your play style.

You play your Roy like you would a Marth, and as such, I suggest that you consider dropping Roy for Marth.

If you chose to persist to use Roy, I have some input.

For one, Dtilt, and DAD are Roy's two best moves, and as such, the majority of your game should consist of spacing DAD, and crouch cancel Dtilts. Most of his aerials are extremely mediocre. Roy shines when grounded, and you spent most of your time spacing aerials, which is Marth's game, mostly.

Roy's aerials are very situational, and mostly used for tapping, and comboing. His Nair, and Uair are easily his best aerials. His Fair, Dair, and Bair are very weak, and situational. Just about everything his Fair does can be done grounded with other moves. Like I said before, his game is best played grounded.

To clarify, don't use all four attacks of DAD unless you know it will hit. When spacing, generally you only want to use the first hit, since it's extremely quick, and nearly lagless. When close, you'll want to use the Forward Up Forward combo. The four hit should usually be Forward Up Forward Down. The second his has great range, speed, and shield stabs very often, much like his fourth hit.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Neutral-a (the "jab") and neutral-b (in the air) are good interrupters. Combined with the dtilt, side-b, and uair you can play a very solid spacing game and wait out your opponent (assuming he can't projectile camp you back). If you have a lead, there's no need to approach, and thus you can set up your wall of blades. Always remember the power of the DD grab too. Roy's grab may not be amazing, but it sure as heck is a good way to limit your opponent's desire to shield as much as possible.

LooksLikePit

Smash Ace
Disregard what LLP said.
What do you mean? It's not like you're well known or anything, so why should your opinion matter? Also, the things I said in my post were true, and you just come along and say that it is worthless. Who gave you the right to do that?

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
What do you mean? It's not like you're well known or anything, so why should your opinion matter? Also, the things I said in my post were true, and you just come along and say that it is worthless. Who gave you the right to do that?
Because your post was pretty much worthless, regarding giving him critique?

What does my "reputation" have to do regarding having knowledge on how to play Roy? That's just stupid.

Also; Roy's grab ***** heavy characters, and fast fallers.

Roy can 0 to death spacies, and I'm pretty sure Falcon.

Fox is easily his best matchup, whereas Falco is his worst, lol.

LooksLikePit

Smash Ace

What does my "reputation" have to do regarding having knowledge on how to play Roy? That's just stupid...
...Roy can 0 to death spacies, and I'm pretty sure Falcon.
You're 'pretty sure'? Looks like you have pretty extensive knowledge of Roy. You could at least not contradict yourself when you give advice; it just makes you look stupid.

Once again, you amaze me with your extensive knowledge of Roy. Stating the obvious is always a good way to look like you know what you're doing. Any noob that plays Roy could give better information than that.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
. You should consider maining a different character, because I can't see your Roy going anywhere.
this is why you should leave and we should disregard anything you have to say.

if someone wants help we give it to them, you never say "I think you're never going to get better with ____ , you should give up on him"

way to be a class A *******

handsockpuppet

Smash Lord
this is why you should leave and we should disregard anything you have to say.

if someone wants help we give it to them, you never say "I think you're never going to get better with ____ , you should give up on him"

way to be a class A *******
agreed

What does my "reputation" have to do regarding having knowledge on how to play Roy? That's just stupid.

Roy can 0 to death spacies, and I'm pretty sure Falcon.

you and LLP should both shut up. watch some videos of Sethlon's Roy (in 2008) if you want to learn anything

now here is two reasons for why I have the right to tell you to shut up for the time being.

1) I've been on these boards for about 1 and 1/2 years. don't take this personally, because I used to be a noob about Roy saying things like that. LLP, I do have a "reputation" on these boards.

2) What you just said is pure stupid. it's true that Roy has a chaingrab on spacies, but it starts at 10% and ends at about 40%. after that any half decent fox or falco will easily DI out of it. and other heavy characters can't fall for it because they're floaty. and 0 to death? no way. not even close. and notably, Roy can't even CG falcon until more than 30%. Fox is 6-4, Fox's favor. he can combo roy to death, and even though Roy can also combo, it's not nearly as good, and Roy overall sucks. And Falco is 7-3, Falco's favor. it's about the same as fox, but Falco can SHL, which is annoying for Roy. Roy's best matchup-nobody really, but Mewtwo and Bowser and Pichu and Kirby (AKA the botttom) are pretty easy. Roy's worst matchup-by far Sheik, and ICs and Luigi are bad too.

sorry for not critiquing, I'll edit this again little later.

EDIT: okay, I'll edit this more later (again), but here's what you should do and don't do. I'll make it more specific once I have some free time.

DON'T: Ftilt (it's rarely worth it. too much upward knockback), dash attack, spam fairs (too much fairs. nairs are often better), do a normal (non short-hopped) jump more than twice in a round (really you shouldn't ever do it, but certain times arise), use counter (maybe like once in a match if you're certain they'll attack, just for the mindgames, but no more), use any smash besides Fsmash, spam Fsmash, use the fourth hit of the DED (not DAD Rubyiris. and seriously, you'll almost always only need the first three normal hits. the only exceptions are the four down hits for shield poking, the third up hit for a meteor smash off the edge, and occasionally you can do the fourth up or normal hit as an edgeguard).

DO: CC (crouch cancel. basicly just crouch a lot), spam Dtilts, spam first three normal DED, SHFFL Nairs, use Dtilt to set up SHFFLed Uair juggles, and shieldgrab and JC grab and then try Dthrow>Fsmash, at low percentages.

This is going to go into my soon-to-come "The Roy n00b's guide to not be as much of a n00b". but again, I have no free time currently and haven't played smash in forever because the little free time I had was soaked in by Team Fortress 2.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Lol, someone beat me to it. (*cough*dogy*cough*) Dogy...Avatar = amazing.

Anyway....yeah, what Handsockpuppet said is pretty much on point.

Get used to Roy's Dash Dance game, but the CC...know when and when not to do it. Against certain characters (Like Peach or Marth) too much CC will get you killed. (ESPECIALLY Peach) Try not to CC tippers 'cuz they have this awkward knockback that will catch you off guard. Falco/Fox's Dsmash has a similar effect to it. Also, learning how to mix up the CC Dtilts and the normal ones are a good idea so you don't become too predictable. A problem I had with my Roy...still kind of do since I haven't played Roy (save SPOC) in forever.

The CC thing was advice given to me by Moo.

The Phenom

Smash Lord
It was fun to see the matches. Funny SDs kills.

We'll your from SoCal as I; hows the diversity of characters in Irvine? I haven't fought you before or your Roy. Maybe during the summer huh =D I would like to fight your Roy. It would be nice to take a break from Fox/Falcos.

Top Bottom