• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my Marth?

Wafflez

Smash Journeyman
I've heard that the Marth boards is full of elitists, so allow me to make one thing clear.

I suck. I fail at Brawl, and I fail at Marth. I main Link, who is a bottom tier piece of garbage and the vast majority of this forum could probably 3-stock me effortlessly.

Now that it's out of the way, I'd like some advice on my Marth videos so I can fail just a bit less.

vs Another Marth:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kGD1J0dtXU

All I seem to have are Marth mirror matches.

I'm open to all suggestions/advice/comments/praise/criticism/death threats. :)

Ilucamy

Smash Journeyman
I'm not good at critiquing, but I can tell you you need to use Dancing Blade more. It's an awesome move and I don't think I saw it except during recovery.

cman

Smash Ace
The marth boards flame people when they ask stupid questions or say stupid things. Don't do either of those, and you won't get flamed.

Couple things you need to work on:
1) SHORT HOPPING!!1!!11! I didn't see you short hop once the entire match. It's critical to abusing marth's strengths
2) Fair more. A short hopped fair is one of his two safest moves if spaced well. (Consult Vietgeek for more info on this one.)
3) Don't dash grab. Ever. Standing grab has pretty long range though.
4) Don't counter so much. It was predictable, and would have been very badly punished most of those times vs anyone decent.
5) Shield breaker gives you momentum while recovering. DB does not (except for a little bit upward right after a jump)
6) Work on spacing.
7) Use safe moves, and stay away from the unsafe ones in most cases. I saw you using dash attack a few times. Very unsafe. Dtilt and fair, very safe.
8) Use dancing blade to punish more. It is very good at that.
9) Find someone better to play against. Your opponent was terrible.

That's just the basic stuff. And it has all been covered in other threads by better people than me. Read those first.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
Okay...so many mistakes by both players. Im not going to go into a play by play here, Im here to help.

First off, you are way too agressive and let your opponent run through you. Brawl is a defensive game, you say you main Link? Link is a defensive character, you can spam his projectiles right? Same with Marth. You need to create space with fairs and tilts. If you use the c-stick to smash, try playing without using the c-stick. Get used to using tilts more. Try playing cpu's and use ONLY tilts, get used to tilting because a Marth that doesnt use abuse his range will fail...hard.

You simply dont understand how Marth is played yet, and believe me, not a lot of Marths do. You cant rush into your opponents attacks and fair them. You need to be patient and take your time. I dont think you ever punished with dancing blade...that is Marths best punishing tool, use it.

Your spacing was way off, you need to learn to keep Marth around 'Fsmash tipper' range. Yes, it takes practice, but without doing it, your done for. Play safe, or get 3 stocked.

Plus I would refrain from using the shield breaker and counter right now, wait until your spacing gets better and you are able to know WHEN TO USE WHAT MOVE.

Ftilt beats short hop approaches.
Dtilt beats spot dodging and some run-ins.
Utilt is used to juggle your opponent in the air.
Dancing blade is used to punish your opponents mistakes.
Fair is used to give yourself defense so your opponent does not get comfortable running in.
Shield Grab beats any close attack that they may hit you with.

You can put an offense during a mixup because its impossible to predict when you stop fairing and such.

Stick to the basics first.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Firstly, not to be elitist or anything, but there are some underlying problems with the basics of your gameplay. Don't take offense to that, just take it as something to work on.

I'm not going to write a wall of text because cman and timmy covered most of the stuff. But if you're going to take nothing else away, learn this(a lot of which isn't exclusive to marth)
-Learn to short hop aerials. You NEED to learn it.
-Don't counter so much. The after-lag is really bad
-Pick your punishing moves. If your opponent just missed a dolphin slash completly and are plummeting down, the strongest move you can that will be a guaranteed hit(strongest but fastest move).
-Choose less laggier moves(unless you're punishing). Laggy moves lead to punishment usually if you're up against a good opponent.
-Space. Marth is especially about spacing. Hit with the very tip, not just because you do more damage, but because against most characters, if you're hitting them with the very tip, they still couldn't have hit you. Your reach is longer, use that to your advantage.

Anyways, keep working on it.

Wafflez

Smash Journeyman
The marth boards flame people when they ask stupid questions or say stupid things. Don't do either of those, and you won't get flamed.

Couple things you need to work on:
1) SHORT HOPPING!!1!!11! I didn't see you short hop once the entire match. It's critical to abusing marth's strengths
2) Fair more. A short hopped fair is one of his two safest moves if spaced well. (Consult Vietgeek for more info on this one.)
3) Don't dash grab. Ever. Standing grab has pretty long range though.
4) Don't counter so much. It was predictable, and would have been very badly punished most of those times vs anyone decent.
5) Shield breaker gives you momentum while recovering. DB does not (except for a little bit upward right after a jump)
6) Work on spacing.
7) Use safe moves, and stay away from the unsafe ones in most cases. I saw you using dash attack a few times. Very unsafe. Dtilt and fair, very safe.
8) Use dancing blade to punish more. It is very good at that.
9) Find someone better to play against. Your opponent was terrible.

That's just the basic stuff. And it has all been covered in other threads by better people than me. Read those first.
9) Now that's just mean spirited, I bet MisFate would love to read that part. :p

Okay...so many mistakes by both players. Im not going to go into a play by play here, Im here to help.

First off, you are way too agressive and let your opponent run through you. Brawl is a defensive game, you say you main Link? Link is a defensive character, you can spam his projectiles right? Same with Marth. You need to create space with fairs and tilts. If you use the c-stick to smash, try playing without using the c-stick. Get used to using tilts more. Try playing cpu's and use ONLY tilts, get used to tilting because a Marth that doesnt use abuse his range will fail...hard.

You simply dont understand how Marth is played yet, and believe me, not a lot of Marths do. You cant rush into your opponents attacks and fair them. You need to be patient and take your time. I dont think you ever punished with dancing blade...that is Marths best punishing tool, use it.

Your spacing was way off, you need to learn to keep Marth around 'Fsmash tipper' range. Yes, it takes practice, but without doing it, your done for. Play safe, or get 3 stocked.

Plus I would refrain from using the shield breaker and counter right now, wait until your spacing gets better and you are able to know WHEN TO USE WHAT MOVE.

Ftilt beats short hop approaches.
Dtilt beats spot dodging and some run-ins.
Utilt is used to juggle your opponent in the air.
Dancing blade is used to punish your opponents mistakes.
Fair is used to give yourself defense so your opponent does not get comfortable running in.
Shield Grab beats any close attack that they may hit you with.

You can put an offense during a mixup because its impossible to predict when you stop fairing and such.

Stick to the basics first.
I set my c-stick to tilts to avoid smash spamming, as it was a bad habit I had when I played Link. I thought I was a little lacking in tilts, but at least now I know when to use what tilts.

Firstly, not to be elitist or anything, but there are some underlying problems with the basics of your gameplay. Don't take offense to that, just take it as something to work on.

I'm not going to write a wall of text because cman and timmy covered most of the stuff. But if you're going to take nothing else away, learn this(a lot of which isn't exclusive to marth)
-Learn to short hop aerials. You NEED to learn it.
-Don't counter so much. The after-lag is really bad
-Pick your punishing moves. If your opponent just missed a dolphin slash completly and are plummeting down, the strongest move you can that will be a guaranteed hit(strongest but fastest move).
-Choose less laggier moves(unless you're punishing). Laggy moves lead to punishment usually if you're up against a good opponent.
-Space. Marth is especially about spacing. Hit with the very tip, not just because you do more damage, but because against most characters, if you're hitting them with the very tip, they still couldn't have hit you. Your reach is longer, use that to your advantage.

Anyways, keep working on it.
Looks like the most common pieces of advice are to shorthop and to punish with DB. Although I don't play Marth too often, I'll definitely practice these skills next time I pick up the blue-haired, quasi-feminine prince.
Thanks for the advice, everyone. :3

feardragon64

Smash Champion
I set my c-stick to tilts to avoid smash spamming, as it was a bad habit I had when I played Link. I thought I was a little lacking in tilts, but at least now I know when to use what tilts.
Don't do it! Learn to tilt without c-stick set to tilt!
Go into training mode and practice it with a level 3 computer standing still, walking, and attacking! Then try and incorporate it into normal matches! You'll find dtilt is the easiest to use, ftilt the second easiest, and utilt the hardest. But seriously, don't change the c-stick! It's really easy to learn if you just put the time in to do it. You can easily pick it up in a few hours of practice(even if that's just like 15-20 minutes of practice a day.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
My eyes were spewing so much blood after I saw your opponent do 2 Counters in a row, I think my house needs to go through a car wash.

I'm going to be short straight and to the point: You are not good.

Now I'll elaborate:
1. USE FAIR! It is Marth's best move and it serves so many purposes it is great in any situation.
2. Use more DB, it is amazing, Up variation can lead to juggling, and it can even kill at high percentages.
3. You use Counter WAY too much. Are you aware that you can grab someone out of their Counter? Because it didn't look like it.
4. Don't use Dair. Dair is bad unless you are skilled with it and know where the hitbox for the tip is.
5. Never use dash attack it is Marth's worst move probably, and serves no purposes whatsoever, except to taunt someone if you hit them with it.
6. Practice your tilts, practice your basics.
7. Get a better opponent, he was worse than you, which is saying something, no offense.

ZHMT

Smash Lord
NNID
zeeehmtee
9)
Just keep the controls default and learn to tilt the control stick. Your going to need it eventually and having a quick smash every now and then is helpful.

cman

Smash Ace
9) Now that's just mean spirited, I bet MisFate would love to read that part. :p
No, just blunt. If you want to get better, you are going to need to play good people. And if you don't want to get better, then why are you on smashboards? So i assumed the former.

Top Bottom