• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my Link updated 11-24-08

Sora_Kurisu

Smash Apprentice

sasook

Smash Champion
Hey there, and welcome.

If you need help, go to the stickies. The guides there are really helpful.

IMO, for someone who just started playing Link, you're really good. Watch out for his fast falling, it messed you up twice. Normally I say to learn most/all the AT's, but you seem to have most of them down. Really, for a new player, your Link is impressive.

This thread is allowed, right?

4Serial

Smash Lord
In all honesty, I found the match incredibly boring. Both of you don't play aggressive enough. You guys don't make use of moves and just stand at other ends of the stage thinking about what to do or something.
If he camps arrows, short hop > airdodge approach or evade, and well timed z-airs can beat them. You need more z-airs in general.
When using boomerangs or bombs, short hop forwards or backwards and use them to create more movement. Your movements were very predictable and you need more creative maneuverability.
When he was recovering from the edge or hanging on the edge, you didn't really do much. F-air doesn't always work very well as edgeguards, use n-air instead, and d-air at high percents.
You were just standing there for some reason too, when you should be taking out a bomb or something.
Up close, you need more jabs and u-tilt. Could use some up+b, especially out of shield. U-smash out of shield is good sometimes too.
Make better use of your space and time, because you won't get much of it when you're playing against capable players.

Sora_Kurisu

Smash Apprentice
Hey there, and welcome.

If you need help, go to the stickies. The guides there are really helpful.

IMO, for someone who just started playing Link, you're really good. Watch out for his fast falling, it messed you up twice. Normally I say to learn most/all the AT's, but you seem to have most of them down. Really, for a new player, your Link is impressive.

Thanks yeah i read both the guides but i havent been able to learn all the ATs yet. I got some of them down and others i have it but dont know how to apply it into battle yet.

This thread is allowed, right?
In all honesty, I found the match incredibly boring. Both of you don't play aggressive enough. You guys don't make use of moves and just stand at other ends of the stage thinking about what to do or something.
If he camps arrows, short hop > airdodge approach or evade, and well timed z-airs can beat them. You need more z-airs in general.
When using boomerangs or bombs, short hop forwards or backwards and use them to create more movement. Your movements were very predictable and you need more creative maneuverability.
When he was recovering from the edge or hanging on the edge, you didn't really do much. F-air doesn't always work very well as edgeguards, use n-air instead, and d-air at high percents.
You were just standing there for some reason too, when you should be taking out a bomb or something.
Up close, you need more jabs and u-tilt. Could use some up+b, especially out of shield. U-smash out of shield is good sometimes too.
Make better use of your space and time, because you won't get much of it when you're playing against capable players.
Ok thanks for the advice Ill try to conserve my time better. Yeah i need to think more with link thats why you see me standing there sometimes thinking. I enjoy how link is use. He is more strategic then others and requires lots of mind games.

Blubba_Pinecone

Smash Ace
Very nice for being new to Link. I think if you expand yourself with his abilities you've really got something.

I'd like to see more aggresive edge gaurding. Your on-stage edge gaurding is rather fierce, but I want to see what you can do outside of Link's comfort zone~~~ go off the stage and see what havoc you can wreak in the air and on the ledge.

@ sasook: of course this thread is allowed! we may not want random crap spam threads, but the more skilled Link players we have the better! especially ones like this, who show they want to learn. :D

Sora_Kurisu

Smash Apprentice
Very nice for being new to Link. I think if you expand yourself with his abilities you've really got something.

I'd like to see more aggresive edge gaurding. Your on-stage edge gaurding is rather fierce, but I want to see what you can do outside of Link's comfort zone~~~ go off the stage and see what havoc you can wreak in the air and on the ledge.

@ sasook: of course this thread is allowed! we may not want random crap spam threads, but the more skilled Link players we have the better! especially ones like this, who show they want to learn. :D
ok thank you. i'll continue practicing on my link and make the link board proud of me.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Watch some videos, read the walkthroughs, etc etc since you are new these will be very very helpful. Get used to DIing with Link, watch Overswarm's video on how to DI correctly etc

D

Deleted member

Watch some videos, read the walkthroughs, etc etc since you are new these will be very very helpful. Get used to DIing with Link, watch Overswarm's video on how to DI correctly etc
that video is partially wrong

when i get my capture card back from my friend i'll make a DI'ing video and then you'll know how to truely DI

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Yeah, it was kind of boring. That kind of stand still is so dull. You're a little Usmash happy. And spam a bit more. And I have a better Pit than that guy XD

run off nairs had won that match for you for sure . ugly spamming pit pain in the *** mother****er is not fun to play against, luckily for you he wasnt a good spammerer. when sent off-stage double jump Dair as soon as possible, it is the absolute best way to recover against pit cause if he shoots arrows at you, youll just bounce off them and get a boost in your recovery.

And i liked that you tried to gimp kill him with rang when he was gliding, it was really close once.

sasook

Smash Champion
Yeah, but they've been getting closed lately.

the smash DIing? Which parts were wrong?
lol if Arkive says so, then its true. he's the best at DIing with Link, so I'll take it.

massimo009

Smash Cadet
Hey i really enjoyed your game. You had a alot of goo AT's but i think one thing you could work on would be using z-air a little more. Other than that keep up the pressure.

C_Ferris32

Smash Journeyman
2:44-2:48 Oh, the lols...
Anyway, pretty good for just beginning, there are 4 things I'd recommend:
1) spam projectiles at long range. this is an essential part to link's game
2) when approaching, use zairs and optionally cover your approach with projectiles
3) my best bet up close is usually utilts > aerials or smashes, I'd advise giving them a try
4) USE DAIRS!!!! Link's dair = jesus :)

D

Deleted member

the smash DIing? Which parts were wrong?
SDI is way slower than tap DI and tap DI much easier to do since its done with the control stick. SDI and tap DI work the same way but with different sticks. If you combine tap DI and SDI then you create some crazy form of super DI that lets you get out of every multi hit attack in the game. Using this DI i almost never die by Diddy or Pit's fsmashes and i can also get out of snake's jab. This DI also makes the PK fire and bullet seed unusable because you'll always get out on the first hit.

like i said, when i make the video it'll all become clear

btw i'm probably the best at DI'ing in general lol, i don't think anybody else can live from marth's FRESH fsmash at 190%

get atcha boy

sasook

Smash Champion
*votes for Arkive to make DI guide*

I can't wait for the video....

And if you take the time to type out a guide too, awesome. If not, the video will still be awesome.

D

Deleted member

i have to steal my capture card back from my friend first, thats the ONLY reason why this video hasn't been made yet

D

Deleted member

Arkive: btw i'm probably the best at DI'ing in general lol

you better be joking!
i can't really know if i am or not for sure but ik that i have a hell of a lot better DI than 99% of smashers lol. i'd have to see up to date videos by you to know if i have better DI than you or not >_>....but you can go ahead and ask most of the Wichita brawl crew, along with the KC brawl crew

i... will... not... die

snake's ftilt at the egde of FD while i'm at +160%? EZ

ArdeS

Smash Journeyman
Quarter-Circle-Tap DI is tough to implement into my gameplay but I'm getting the hang of it. For now Bairs will save me enough. :freak:

sasook

Smash Champion
Quarter-Circle-Tap DI is tough to implement into my gameplay but I'm getting the hang of it. For now Bairs will save me enough. :freak:
Right now I'm just sticking with perpendicular direction plus tapping the C stick someway or another (usually down). I'm waiting for Arkive's vid, it will be holy.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
hehe, I always thought I had the best DI =P
Nah thats just me...:psycho:

Well anyways Sora Kurisu, my best advice for you would be is that Link is 50%Tank and 50%Projectiles, be fluid and abstract through the mixing of the two. Also use grab alot more as an air move. (Zair) It has great spacing and real combo use.

Wafflez

Smash Journeyman
Wow, not bad. Better than me and I've been playing Link for a few months now. There are some habits you need to break, like FFing off the stage. You're definitely talented though, I look forward to seeing more.

On a different note, does anyone know if it's illegal to urinate on someone else's garden hose?

Lol, Halloween was crazy.

...No, I didn't pee on a garden hose. But that's not to say there wasn't a garden hose that was peed on.

NintenJoe

Smash Ace
On a different note, does anyone know if it's illegal to urinate on someone else's garden hose?

Lol, Halloween was crazy.

...No, I didn't pee on a garden hose. But that's not to say there wasn't a garden hose that was peed on.
TMI?!?!?!

i lol'd, though. I believe public urination is illegal in the United States, but as long as nobody saw it, then.... :laugh:

Sora_Kurisu

Smash Apprentice
Wow, not bad. Better than me and I've been playing Link for a few months now. There are some habits you need to break, like FFing off the stage. You're definitely talented though, I look forward to seeing more.
Thanks for the encouragement. I'll try to work harder to improve my link. Is there anything i need to work on and what are my strong points?

OoD

Smash Rookie
Ah...as a somewhat intermediate Link user, I just practice a lot getting some techniques into my fighting style, and also i've been using Link since SSB :p. Right now i'm working on the bomb techniques o.o I've come across an effective combination using the bomb and down-a. (not sure if anyone knows about it already but I just randomly did it and started practicing). It is doable against other people. What I did was with the bomb in my hand, I threw it down at my opponent while I was in the air and hit him with the down-a attack doing 31% damage at the most. He gets lifted off the stage just a bit before you hit him and makes him a little stunned. As far as I know it is doable at higher percents. But I know there is limits. So far I know that it can be done at 90%

sasook

Smash Champion
Ah...as a somewhat intermediate Link user, I just practice a lot getting some techniques into my fighting style, and also i've been using Link since SSB :p. Right now i'm working on the bomb techniques o.o I've come across an effective combination using the bomb and down-a. (not sure if anyone knows about it already but I just randomly did it and started practicing). It is doable against other people. What I did was with the bomb in my hand, I threw it down at my opponent while I was in the air and hit him with the down-a attack doing 31% damage at the most. He gets lifted off the stage just a bit before you hit him and makes him a little stunned. As far as I know it is doable at higher percents. But I know there is limits. So far I know that it can be done at 90%
It's good that you're finding things on your own, but that's been known since like....the 2nd week of the game's release.

Sora_Kurisu

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone one. I updated the thread with two vids. So can you guys watch them and give me advice on what to work on and stuff. Also can you tell me what are my strong points and weak points ect. ect. Thank you all in advance.

Top Bottom