• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Critique my Doc please.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
okay, here is some advice: (from ganondorf match)

1. Don't always go for the CG.
---d-throw to SHFFLed d-air is great at low percents, and you can regrab after that sometimes.
---near the edge, just b-throw. So many people forget this. And remember, as their damage is higher, the larger the "edge" is.
---d-throw to rising d-air to up air works at higher percents. From that you may be able to chain more up-airs

2. When you are on the ledge, don't limit yourself to a few options. I saw one point where you rolled back on, when you could have just ledgehopped a b-air and punished ganondorf for having to land on the stage.

3. Vary your pills. You should be able to hit them when they are standing on platforms when you vary the height at which you throw them. Although they don't cancel when you hit the ground, you can full jump and then WD as you land, or rejump, throw another pill, and then waveland.

Nice work though!!

Gea

Smash Master
Holy crap. Okay you have plenty of work.

1. FASTFALL

2. Work on ledgedashing, rolling on, jumping instead of ledgehopping, using more varied aerials on the getup, and not jumping into everything thrown at you.

3. Dtilt sucks. Stop using it. Dash attack also sucks. Use it less/ never.

4. Waveland. In fact, wavedash more in general.

5. You roll at poor times when no one is around you.

6. Learn to jab or nair projectiles.

7. Ugh, your move choice needs work in general. You react really slowly.

8. Edgeguard. Seriously.

I don't know Viers... wow... its like he's at that level where he is still learning how to play technically and can't apply it in such a way to flow fluidly.

ye25

Smash Journeyman
Less dash attacks plz. (alot less)
Careful with the rolls. they useful once in a while but don't overuse.
Keep moving, always think when you play.
I only watched the 2nd match but that link left himself open lots of times, take advantage if you can.
Try not to tornado stall if your not too good at it.
Work on your edgeguarding.

widowmaker300

Smash Cadet
try to aim pills a bit better

use the dash attack and d-tilt less, both pretty bad moves

dont bother with the tornado stall if ur only gonna end up lower than u originally were

use u-air more (one of my favorite moves to combo with in the game)

remember that a CG will eventually be escapable so try to get a smash in when their percent is getting high and theyll be able to get out of the grabs

i saw u had a few chances to shield grab against the ganondorf but u didnt, and thats always useful

jump-cancelled grabs can be a godsend with doc, his dash grab (when missed) can cause catastrophe

try to edgeguard better, and mix it up. u almost always would just jump off and go for the b-air. also try and implement edgehogging more.

use variation, and try to study ur opponents play as u go on. mindgames work both offensively and defensively and are a very important part of this game.

Roman.

Smash Champion
Gea sounded a little mean there but he's completely right. It seems like you just don't know what to do in situations. I think you just need to play more and become experienced and more comfortable with doc. Learn what he is capable of and take advantage of that. Practicing advanced techniques in training mode is one thing but applying them usefully in real matches is a whole other story.

Practice just playing with doc until you have a good grip on him and then start taking everyones advice. It seems like you just picked him up and don't play much. Good luck!

St. Viers

Smash Champion
@Gea, I know, but I like being positive. He won, so it's a good start <_<

--also, dash attack doesn't suck. It only sucks if they expect you to use it. If you just use it that one time to pop them up cause they've used their shield to much, and combo from there it's good. What you mean to say is that it isn't a move you can spam, or even use often

--also also---playing fluidly isn't the same as playing well. I can't play "fluidly" at all, but I can beat people ;)

but yeah, just work on more solid playing...

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
First Video:
Not too shabby. Do me a favor, don't ever down tilt... just... don't. Uptilt at slightly higher percents and don't spam it consecutively... mainly that. When he does a big laggy move and misses ( be it you or his L-Cancel, whatever ) try to punish it. Twice he down Bed through your shield (and I know you sawi t coming because you shielded it) but you just rolled away. Try more Nair SHFFLS.

Also, tell your friend to try air dodging back onto the stage. He'll get caped less.

Second video:
I meant to mention this in the first video, but don't ever do a stand still pill unless the situation calls for it or it is on accident. You should always at least short hop it or do some sort of pill trick, but spam pills intelligently. Work on your approaches (like SHFFL Nairs). Overall, not bad.

Gea

Smash Master
--also also---playing fluidly isn't the same as playing well. I can't play "fluidly" at all, but I can beat people ;).
I meant like... tech skill fluidily. That and moving a bit more. I am one of the least technical players that you'll face in a big tourney, but I still hold my own too. I'm just consistent.

Top Bottom