• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Crew Battles: Let Challenges Commence!

ss118

Smash Master
OK the way I think it should work is how the really old crew battles in smash worked.

By that, I mean everyone selected their character for the entire battle. So in short everyone should send someone the four pokemon on their team before any battles occur. It also needs to be previously designated who is the starter.

I'm going to use Wave's example. Crew A vs Crew B with each team having members 1,2,3, and 4. Crew A designated the challenge, so they have the choice of either designating an allowed tier, in which case Crew B can't refute. However, if Crew A desires, they can pick very specific rules, such as "OU with Chomp allowed", or even "OU with Breloom banned" or something. If this is the case, Crew B can agree to the terms or deny them. Crew B gets the chance to come with a compromise, such as if they asked for Chomp allowed they can ask "OU with Chomp+Latias allowed". Crew A then gets a chance to refute or agree: if they refute this time, Crew A now has to choose a standard tier(in this case, let's just say OU).

Now, each crew has to send a "middle-man" the four pokemon on each player's team, as well as designating specifically who starts. Note you don't have to give specific sets: this allows for changes in styles. I'll elaborate more on that in a bit.

So let's pretend player A3 battles player B2. They sent in the following teams:

A3: Azelf/ Salamence/ Suicune/ Metagross
B2: Tyranitar/ Cacturne/ Heatran/ Scizor

Now here is a choice: we could allow players to see each other's teams(since obv in smash each player knows the opponent's character before the battle), and allow them to make the team afterward. Or they just go in blindly and battle each other. Let's pretend that the Suicune was Surf/ Ice Beam/ Calm Mind/ HP Fire and swept the other team after Azelf set up SR and Mence was KOed in between. Then it would be:

A3: Suicune/ Metagross

Now team B sends in a player that hasn't been eliminated yet. So let's say player B3 goes up, and he has team:

B3: Rotom-a/ Zapdos/ Magnezone/ Gyarados

Now that both players know the available pokemon, they make their teams accordingly and then battle. So now the Suicune set has been changed to Hydro Pump/ Ice Beam/ HP electric/ Calm Mind, and the Metagross is made the starter. Let's pretend he plays INCREDIBLY well, getting off one pokemon normally and exploding on another with metagross. Now the opposing team is down two, and the entire process starts again.

It keeps going like this till a crew runs out of players. Then the crew with players wins, obv.

So how does the shedinja work? Like this:

4 v 4: 2 Shedinja's on each team have sticky barb.
4 v 3: All 3 shedinja's have sticky barb on one team: the other team has 1 with sticky barb and another with burn orb.
4 v 2: All 4 shedinja's have sticky barb on one team: the other has two shedinja with burn orb
4 v 1: The second shedinja on the four-pokemon player's team has leftovers and uses Aerial Ace. The last shedinja on the 1-pokemon player's team has sticky barb and uses shadow sneak.

Then again, use pokemon online and none of this is a problem. Only reason we have to use shedinja is if a player wants to use Whirlwind/ Roar.

xLeafybug =D

Smash Master
I see several problems with this.

A) You can just build counter teams to what your opponent has left.
B) It invalidates some strategies such as explosion and suicide leads.
C) If you use sticky barb shedinjas you can alter which pokemon you lead with based on your opponents lead.

I really think the OP way is simply better suited to pokemon.
I don't think that a winner should be allowed to modify their team in any way. In Smash Crews, you're not allowed to change your character unless you get counterpicked. Counterpicks don't exist in Pokemon, so I think you should be stuck with the team you start with.

ss118

Smash Master
Well up it up to 6 then. I used four for the sake of example. Four just seems perfect for a smash community.

Everything would work the same, but then we would have to use pokemon online. Otherwise, a move would have to be revealed on the opposing starter when it starts up 6-3 or whatever.

Edit: Leafy even if you can't change characters you can change how you play with a character depending on what character the opponent uses. Allowing people to change SETS in between battles replicates that to an extent: it also creates a new level of mindgames and prediction.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Smash is a fighter that you can change your playstyle even mid-game to adapt to your opponents.

The closest thing we have to this is prediction.

By nature, Pokemon is more inflexible per-match as a game, so I don't see how trying to equal them is even worth trying.

This might be a Smash forum, but we don't have to mirror smash sets in every way.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
The biggest problem we have now is that Tery never told us the rules to write up, I guess.
A) You can just build counter teams to what your opponent has left.
Impartial third party
C) If you use sticky barb shedinjas you can alter which pokemon you lead with based on your opponents lead.
You don't lead with them.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Sheddies are placeholders.

Send them out last. If you win with a Sheddy Alive then you lose. Etc.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
I really think sheddies should be first just because of that. Let the other guy shadow sneak with his last sheddy as yours stays alive and out on the field with sticky barb knocking it out at the same time.

this needs more explanation:

Let's say Player A and Player B are entering the match where player A has 4 pokemon and player B has 1. Player B would have 5 Shedinjas and player A would have 2 in the lead position. Because of this, player A's first Shedinja will hold Sticky Barb but his second one won't hold anything and will be allowed to Shadow Sneak all of Player B's Shedinjas up until player B sends out his last barbed Shedinja, which he will then use to KO Player A's Shedinja.

ss118

Smash Master
4 v 1: The second shedinja on the four-pokemon player's team has leftovers and uses Aerial Ace. The last shedinja on the 1-pokemon player's team has sticky barb and uses shadow sneak.
from my wall of pain.... err, text

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Or we could all be cool and use Pokemon Online to completely circumvent this.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
More of a fan of Wave's rules.

Not a fan of the idea of randomly having to deal with Chomp again.

rockem7

Smash Ace
Only via this thread, to my knowledge. That question is better suited for Riddle, who I haven't seen on today.

And is it Real Crew or OP style?

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I didn't even know this was gonna happen, as I just looked in this thread.

I think it'd be better if you contacted us all to let us know.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
All we need is some challenges going on in here...

That being said, somebody challenge us, because by the time someone does, I'll actually have the time to participate.

Top Bottom