• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Create a Fighter! - The future of Miis and Customization?

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Us version "You can choose from the three types of Mii Fighter and select from a set of three specials for each type."
French version "You can choose between three types of Mii Fighters, and each have 3 variants for each of his specials"
Japanese version (through google translate): "You can also customize your favorite among each of the three types of deadly attacks" それぞれの必殺ワザも3種類の中から自分好みにカスタマイズできます"

All from Smash Ultimate's blog.

Whatever happens, Miis have custom moves. Will it be like Smash 4 or will it be a new "set of attack" system, we don't know, but they have some.
Remember that Miis had their very own menu for customization, too.

Last edited:

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
The Google Translate version of that is... close, but not quite. It refers to 'Hissatsu Waza', which is literally close to 'deadly/lethal tehcniques', but is generally understood to mean "special attacks" when localized to English.

Doesn't change the meaning all that much, but I wanted to point it out just in case there was room for any confusion.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
The problem with the whole "fully customizable Mii" is that it'd be a real pain to balance it out. It sounds good only in paper. Let's say that it does happen and then someone puts out the "OP" setup and then you'll see most people running that particular setup.

It's almost as bad as the popular "MM Link with all forms" move set.
This is why you have some sort of point buy system so people can't maximize everything.
Miis are gonna be disappointingly limited on Switch, no more plaza that I can stock up with guys from http://www.miicharacters.com:( The Fighting Mii Team will probably be cut altogether.
Not only that, but importing Miis from the Wii U and 3DS is a pain. I have to use amiibo to bring them across one at a time. It's such a pain.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Well. At least you can.
I'm not sure I'll do that.
I'll probably create new miis, now that I can give theme anime multicolor hair.
Also, we don't know how Mii Fighter's automatic size and proportions will be managed this time.
Last time they were accurate to the original mii, which caused some Mii fighters to be really brocken.
I don't think we will get an unique size as some rumors suggest. We will probably get three sizes like in Mario Kart. A good deal, isn't it?
Maybe to compensate we will get a lot of new outfits to personalize them.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So how are Miis customised this time? And if legal will tournament orginaizers have to make 64 of each Mii Fighter before hand so all combinations are covered?

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I am not sure, but I think that a base mii is automatically playable once you unlock it, considering how miis are playable in the full game demonstration. So maybe TO will allow only the base mii for tournaments.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I don't see the harm in letting a Mii player make a Mii Fighter before/during a set.

If you know what you're doing it takes about as much time as making a nametag and adding custom controls to it.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
I don't see the harm in letting a Mii player make a Mii Fighter before/during a set.

If you know what you're doing it takes about as much time as making a nametag and adding custom controls to it.
Yep, it's true. And seemingly, Mii Fighters doesn't have different height and weight anymore, so it's something in their favor for tournaments.

I think the question will not be "playable or not" but simply "customs or not". It will probably depend on things such as broken moves or combinations like that Brawler's Up-B.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Yep, it's true. And seemingly, Mii Fighters doesn't have different height and weight anymore, so it's something in their favor for tournaments.

I think the question will not be "playable or not" but simply "customs or not". It will probably depend on things such as broken moves or combinations like that Brawler's Up-B.
Let's just hope in that case that they don't suffer 1111-itis like Palutena did.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
Well. If they are really skipping the size change I hope they will compensate with the outfits.
I noticed there's an option to change the color of a Mii fighter, so, hopefully, there will be even more noncosplay outfits.

Parallelo

Golden Boy
Switch FC
SW-1049 6345 7512
With the advent of an Isaac outfit, Swordfighter has a strong argument to be my main in Ultimate.

I really hope customs are allowed in tournaments (they should given they are now legal online) As long as there's transparency on what moves are equipped, and themii creation is done prior to the matches I dont see the issue

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416

If there's one broken move would it really be too much to ask "don't use that move", but let them customize the characters moveset otherwise?

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
If there's one broken move would it really be too much to ask "don't use that move", but let them customize the characters moveset otherwise?
I agree with that, especially now that customs are only for the Miis. I can understand the logic behind banning everything when 50+ characters have customs, but for 3 of them only...

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
There was a problem fetching the tweet
uh, well

huh. I... love mii brawler now. Never thought I might actually consider maining a mii of all things, but that costume is practically 100% perfect.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Oh nice to see new moves, I love this one. Sakurai really wanted wrestlers in Smash this time.

I'm curious about Mii Gunner's customs.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
That move looks really cool. You could practically make a tiny Bowser!

Also cool that there's a Skull Kid outfit. Definitly a step up from MM being only a headgear piece in 4.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
The long awaited return of Melee Kirby's back throw. I loved suplexing people off the stage.
I'm curious about Mii Gunner's customs.
According to SmashWiki most of her customs will be making a return, though some have apparently been tweaked. Laser Blaze now stuns like Falco's Blaster and Cannon Uppercut is now Cannon Jump Kick for example. No word on Grenade Launch, Stealth Burst or Absorbing Vortex. Wouldn't mind Stealth Burst being changed to something better or at least letting it be controlled vertically.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
The long awaited return of Melee Kirby's back throw. I loved suplexing people off the stage.

According to SmashWiki most of her customs will be making a return, though some have apparently been tweaked. Laser Blaze now stuns like Falco's Blaster and Cannon Uppercut is now Cannon Jump Kick for example. No word on Grenade Launch, Stealth Burst or Absorbing Vortex. Wouldn't mind Stealth Burst being changed to something better or at least letting it be controlled vertically.
Oooh, that's some interesting tweaks. I'm hoping we get some new customs as well, even though I want the grenade back, this move was really fun to use.

Edit: Gunners and Swordfighters don't get new customs: https://sta.sh/2wrffizzqj2

That's fine to me, except maybe Gunner with both the reflector and absorbing vortex, maybe one coud have been new.
But I'm really glad to have my grenade / drop bomb combo back, and you can detonate the bomb manually now! I'll see about Stealth Burst. It was garbage Din's Fire, and Din's Fire is not known for being a good move. But now, I'll have to at least give it a try.

Regarding swordfighters, it's mostly the same as before, nice variety. I just hope that the moves themselves are better.

Brawlers definitely get more variety, which is a good thing. Suplex + Counter Throw makes them grapplers and that's cool IMO.

Last edited:

TerraSky

Super Smash Goat
NNID
TarrenSky
3DS FC
0791-4190-6031
Switch FC
SW-8134-0988-3694
I heard that Flame Pillar on Gunner is Multihit now, so that might lead into some combos/kill confirms.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
Does anyone knows to what extent you can customize the Miis you use for Mii fighters? And by that I mean, can you adjust hair, face, etc, like normal even though, last I remembered, the Switch has Mii making capabilities but not a full on Mii Maker Channel.

Also, can any Mii costume/hat go to any of the three classes, or are there specific per class?

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
The mii editor of the switch doesn't have the charm of the channels of previous consoles (because of the music, mainly) but it does retain all of the functions, as well as a little bit of new ones like new glasses and more colors for hair and such.

I'm unsure about that, but I believe that like before, there's class-specific costumes, but hats should still be for every miis.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Do we have a list of which outfit pieces are cut and which ones aren't? All I've heard so far is that no 3rd party costume pieces are back, but I'm not bothered by that because I never used costume pieces that were meant to be based on another character. I just want to re-create some of my Smash 4 Mii fighters. I made a lot of them and became quite fond of a few of them.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Oh nice! Although it doesn't seems to list the shared costumes, such as the SSB T-Shirt.
The astronaut costume is definitely interesting, and the Special Forces one looks really cool! Gunner's High-Tech Armor looks more bulky than ever.
It seems like they removed a lot of the generic hats that came from the 3DS though.

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
I count 20 new costumes and 23 new pieces of headgear, though maybe I'm forgetting some that actually were in for 3DS/Wii U. The special forces gear is probably my favourite, would work well for a "Snek" Mii as it kinda resembles Snake's sneaking suit from MGS.

Gotta create some Miis soon, I have barely any on my Switch. I'll probably start with my previous favourites, Wesker for Brawler, Ghirahim for Swordfighter and Tex Willer for Gunner. I can make Ghirahim a bit more accurate now thanks to the added hair colours.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
So excluding the 3rd Parties costumes, we lost:

The hoodie for everyone.
The Neon armor, Plate Armor and Samurai armor for Swordfighters.
The Fancy Suit and Mage robe for Gunners.

While I understand for the Neon armor and the Fancy suit, as they were looking very similar to others costumes, the others I can't explain. At least the Samurai armor, I suppose it's because of the Takamaru outfit, but the other two...

TerraSky

Super Smash Goat
NNID
TarrenSky
3DS FC
0791-4190-6031
Switch FC
SW-8134-0988-3694
What? No more Mage Armor? That one was my favorite!

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Oof, I really hope they add in some of the cut costume pieces, mage suit, vampire suit, and wizard suit are HUGE losses for me. Not to mention some new original pieces... I was actually kind of upset when all the Mii DLC was just costumes of other characters. They usually look really dumb, I just want to dress up my Miis, because unlike a lot of people, I actually love Miis. I made several original Miis not based on existing people or characters just for Smash and gave them names and everything.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
For those of you that have played the game, or anyone else who would happen to know, what exactly is the process for creating a Mii Fighter? Do I need to make a Mii prior to starting up Smash in the Switch's almost hidden Mii Maker under account profile icons and then use said Miis in the Smash Mii Maker?

I just want to know if I can fully create a Mii from scratch in Smash or if I need to start brainstorming Mii ideas ahead of time by making all my funny Miis ahead of time?

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
For those of you that have played the game, or anyone else who would happen to know, what exactly is the process for creating a Mii Fighter? Do I need to make a Mii prior to starting up Smash in the Switch's almost hidden Mii Maker under account profile icons and then use said Miis in the Smash Mii Maker?

I just want to know if I can fully create a Mii from scratch in Smash or if I need to start brainstorming Mii ideas ahead of time by making all my funny Miis ahead of time?
The process is identical to creating a Mii Fighter in 3DS/Wii U, it will have to be premade in the Switch's Mii Maker in settings.

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
The process is identical to creating a Mii Fighter in 3DS/Wii U, it will have to be premade in the Switch's Mii Maker in settings.
Ah, I guess that would make sense. I was just hoping, for ease of use, that it'd be fully included in Smash for players that want to play as their custom Miis.

What's worse is that, after reading this news, I found out that it's surprisingly obnoxious to transfer Miis over to the Switch, because the Switch has no form of camera/QR Code reader and thus can't easily copy over Miis.

Instead, I found out that you have to use a 3DS to copy the better made Miis from QR Codes online or elsewhere, transfer Miis into your Amiibo from said 3DS, then you can use the Amiibo to transfer Miis over to the Switch. It's not actually HARD to do, but it's quite obnoxious when you just want to copy a Mii from online.

That being said, I just finished getting all the Miis over for Smash Ultimate finally. Not a fun process, but I gotta have my funny Miis ready for the Mii Fighters of course!

RPGsFTW

Smash Ace
So the only way to transfer miis from 3ds to switch is to buy a damn amiibo? smdh.
Assuming I read correctly online, yes. When you go into the Mii Maker in the Switch, which is located within the user icon (strange place to put it), it gives you the option to make a Mii from scratch, use a look a like, or to use an Amiibo.

It's frustrating because that ancient website, miicharacters.com STILL has Miis being made today, but you can only copy them via QR code with, say, a 3DS. As far as I'm aware, there is no way for the Switch to scan them in otherwise, which is super frustrating.

ArchMageDiablo

Smash Cadet
If there is still any doubt on whether or not you can customize each special independently (as opposed to an option of 3 premade sets), here is footage of the customization. Their wording on this had me worried for a minute lol.

zferolie

Smash Hero
Looking forward to testing each move out and finding my favorites. Any word on the legality of these fighters going forward? will they allow all the specials?

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I apologize if this has been answered but can you use Mii fighters with unnatural hair and eye colors? I haven't seen that in action yet. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to since unlike Tomodachi Life, the unnatural hair colors are actually baked into the system's mii maker, but you can never be too sure about these things sometimes.

TerraSky

Super Smash Goat
NNID
TarrenSky
3DS FC
0791-4190-6031
Switch FC
SW-8134-0988-3694
I apologize if this has been answered but can you use Mii fighters with unnatural hair and eye colors? I haven't seen that in action yet. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to since unlike Tomodachi Life, the unnatural hair colors are actually baked into the system's mii maker, but you can never be too sure about these things sometimes.
Since it's an inherent part of the Mii Maker system, I'd say the Mii Fighter system will do nothing to change it.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well the Switch's mii maker is expanded from the old one. Which makes it all the more baffling that they buried it in the options menu.

It includes crazy eye and hair colors but the ol' coffee spectrum of skin colors so no Smurf brawlers.

VioletSmashfan

Smash Ace
NNID
SVPfan89
3DS FC
2964-9317-6440
I'm wondering if they changed the censored list of names this go around!

Was really bummed out that I couldn't use the name Violet for my Violet Parr mii (I could on the Wii), wonder if the Switch is anything different?

Top Bottom