• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Create a Fighter! - The future of Miis and Customization?

Grizzexploder

Smash Apprentice
They're not the default moves they're just listed as Special 1.

Only characters to have all of their Specials referred to as "Specials" instead of "Customs" in the game's code.
you're right

but generally the "Special 1" moves are treated as the Mii Fighters' default specials in competitive play (1111 setup)

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
you're right

but generally the "Special 1" moves are treated as the Mii Fighters' default specials in competitive play (1111 setup)
That's more on the competitive community than it is on the game developers though. Don't think they'll be changing the order to accommodate the made up rule sadly.

I do hope they'll be allowed in With Anyone mode for online though.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
I think they're coming back; I Mean, Who DOESN'T Want to play as their OWN Avatar of themselves in Smash; that's why Mii fighters were loved so much; and as My Username Implies, I'm Definitely wanting them to come back; as Such, I want to be added as a Supporter for Mii Fighters.

Vickand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vickand
If there's another subspace emissary would you like the mii fighters to be an important character there? Just like any ohter character, not like the main one.

D

Deleted member

I do hope Miis and character customization return, and with more options. The only problem with Miis allowing (insert character here) to now be in Smash is that it only works if the character is chibi. Like there are costumes for Chrom and King K. Rool but they look ridiculous. If the Mii proportions could be altered even more somehow, then maybe that would be more fun. Idk.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I say let them returns, scrap completely custom moves for everyone BUT the Miis, and forget they are going to be balanced, ever, restricting them to offline and fun modes.

Not even the more vanilla miis, with vanilla heights ended being allowed competitive, and 100% vanilla miis are boring as hell, so just forget about precision balancing them and just design all their moves slightly underpowered. (since is easier this way, cause there will be broken combinations anyways)

That being said, once you get rid off all the work of fine tuning them. use that workforce on making them more customisables.

That being said, it could be interesting to reestructure them first starting to choose the mii Proportion, this will be the first factor that will determine the mii moveset and animations.

lets start with 3 options, Animal crossing proportions, Mario proportions and fire emblem proportions. (while more work, it would also be cool having kirby proportions and donkey kong proportions) This would determine the skeleton the model uses. (if you want some rpg reference this would be the "Race")

Then you decide the class, this would determine how they play and which archetype they will fit (plus costumes and skins) We have swordfighter, gunner and brawler (you could always add more classes, but this would increase the workload exponentially, just for sake of argument lets add "Mage" archetype and "beast" archetype (think pikachu, a quadruped that sometimes runs on their four legs, and sometimes stand straight) This classes determine how your mii fights and moves. Still you would need diferent animations for each skeleton, even if all swordfighters have the same up tilt attack. While animating each animation 3 times (or 5) can be daunting, if you have a clear conception of what you want (for example overarching slash) it could make the process more streamlined.

Then you enter to custom moves. If we really want the ultimate mii fighter, i would go full bananas and give each class 5 customs (doesnt matter if you reuse some of the scrapped customs) and will go even further and give them at least 2 smash attacks and aerials to choose from.

Then you go to select a skin, keep the hat and clothes structure, (maybe add changeable wepon) but code in each skin at least 2 or 3 dye channels.

Finally have a set of sliders designed for stats, for exampel a height slider with some basic balance restrictions (bigger height gives you more weight and reach, but a bigger hurtbox and slightly more lags in your attacks, power gives you more power but less weight, speed gives you more mobility but less power, etc...)

Now you have the ultimate Mii fighter! frankly this could even be its own game XD.

SonicMario

Smash Master

Miis were found in a datamine of the Mario Tennis Aces demo. That should shut up the thought of Nintendo using them as only optional avatars from now and never using them again in any new Switch games. Miis weren't even in Ultra Smash so you can't even say they were ported over like they were in MK8 Deluxe. Heck assuming much of Smash 4's roster is going to be ported over, that means they may technically put more effort in putting the Miis in Mario tennis then with returning them to Smash.

But this should put less concern about Nintendo phasing them out. The only concern that remains now is the fate of Custom moves. And even then there are workarounds even if they do decide to leave Customs out that doesn't have to go the way of cutting the Miis entirely.

EDIT: Well he also said afterward that apparently the Miis might not be playable after all? Just so weird though. Why would they have a text file for Miis if they aren't?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Miis may sort of be in a phasing out phase right now, but they're still around. I could see them no longer being a thing during Nintendo's next console, or the one after that. We'll see.

But I looooove custom moves so I NEED them in my life!

osby

Smash Obsessed
Miis are known for using variations of other fighters' moves. Which specials would you like to see on Mii Fighters' moveset?

D

Deleted member

Miis are known for using variations of other fighters' moves. Which specials would you like to see on Mii Fighters' moveset?
Ideally, I would love to see the Mii Fighters revamped into ONE Mii Fighter whom you can customize more fully. It would be incredible if you could give this Mii Fighter any of the other characters' special moves. So for example, you'd be able to use Spinning Kong, Charge Shot, Judge and idk Hammer Flip on one character. Who cares if it's broken. It would be amazing to see the combinations people could come up with.

As for the standard attacks, again ideally, you should be able to choose virtually any other standard attack that another character uses, though for simplicity's sake there could be presets (like a Swordfighter, Brawler, Gunner) to get you started. Then give us a boatload more costumes and some more body type options and I would spend countless hours playing around with this character.

Last edited by a moderator:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Ideally, I would love to see the Mii Fighters revamped into ONE Mii Fighter whom you can customize more fully. It would be incredible if you could give this Mii Fighter any of the other characters' special moves. So for example, you'd be able to use Spinning Kong, Charge Shot, Judge and idk Hammer Flip on one character. Who cares if it's broken. It would be amazing to see the combinations people could come up with.

As for the standard attacks, again ideally, you should be able to choose virtually any other standard attack that another character uses, though for simplicity's sake there could be presets (like a Swordfighter, Brawler, Gunner) to get you started. Then give us a boatload more costumes and some more body type options and I would spend countless hours playing around with this character.
It sounds fun but one character with this much moves needs way too many animations for development team to handle. But I agree, a sandbox character like you described would be Cooler than any other Mii.

D

Deleted member

It sounds fun but one character with this much moves needs way too many animations for development team to handle. But I agree, a sandbox character like you described would be Cooler than any other Mii.
not really, the animations would all be borrowed from the other characters, so they'd just need to be tweaked. Would it be more work? Yes. Are things you put more work into usually worth it? Yes. Plus it's not like the new game is starting from scratch, so they'd have time to revamp characters.

Miifighters4Smash5

Smash Journeyman
My Desires became Realized today; BECAUSE THE THING I'VE BEEN YEARNING FOR SINCE I JOINED THIS FORUM HAS BEEN CONFIRMED; MII FIGHTERS ARE BACK, BABY!!
:4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword::awesome::awesome::awesome:

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
I'm very glad to see this. Hopefully the community will accept them in competition this time; what happened in Smash 4 was an absolute disgrace.

Hey they werent cut with customs. That's neat. And they got. . .overhauls?

Weird. Going to give them a try again this time. Hopefully they will be online/tournament viable this time. Hope they have good costumes so I have more reason to play them :p
:061:

Vickand

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vickand
After yesterday's announcement I created at least 10 miis to be ready for smash. Now I have 87 Miis in my switch :psycho:

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
They weren't 'tournament viable' because people got spooked by an early kill combo that some forms of Brawler had (it got patched out fairly quickly). They overreacted, esp. considering they had no problem letting Bayonetta go as-is.

When we offered to compromise on it, we were still told 'nope' and so-called 'top players' (read: Scrubs. Skilled scrubs who could beat me, but nonetheless scrubs) threatened to boycott tournaments allowing the Miis.

Sure, the Miis weren't that great from what we could tell. Nonetheless, we never got a chance to develop them. The second someone saw them do something good, it was "BAN! BAN! BAN!" and people kept coming up with increasingly ridiculous reasons to justify it.

Hopefully this time we can get them included in tournament play.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So questions arise.

They still seem to have custom moves but are their sizes customisation too? Or have their sizes been standarized? Will there be "defaults" built in to the game in case of tournaments and will costumes return?

Loving the new looks. Now they look like the protagonists of a Smash Bros cartoon series.

One winged Devil

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4499-5767-3965
So questions arise.

They still seem to have custom moves but are their sizes customisation too? Or have their sizes been standarized? Will there be "defaults" built in to the game in case of tournaments and will costumes return?

Loving the new looks. Now they look like the protagonists of a Smash Bros cartoon series.
I'm pretty sure that the Mii Fighters we saw in the trailer will be the default ones used online play and tournaments with their standard moveset, customs and costumes will be back since that's part of fun of the Mii Fighters.

I'm also sure that the Mii Fighters will be the only ones with customs since they seem to have different moves in the trailer and in their own Short character trailer.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm pretty sure that the Mii Fighters we saw in the trailer will be the default ones used online play and tournaments with their standard moveset, customs and costumes will be back since that's part of fun of the Mii Fighters.

I'm also sure that the Mii Fighters will be the only ones with customs since they seem to have different moves in the trailer and in their own Short character trailer.
Not to mention Palutena got her best and worst default moves merged into one and got explosive flame as a side attack.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
So questions arise.

They still seem to have custom moves but are their sizes customisation too? Or have their sizes been standarized?
I really hope they have. As cool as it was, having their weights change was one fairly strong argument against Mii Fighter inclusion. It was easily solved with keeping at the 'default' mid height mid width, but it really wasn't needed and just added extra static.

Default bodies, custom moves (and costumes) should be how it stays.

I wonder how much DLC costume sales factored into them returning?

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
The new look for the Mii Fighters definitely makes them look more the part! A big step up from their more casual appearances. Additionally, it appears like the main Mii Fighters have grown a bit since the last game!

Mii Brawler
It appears Mii Brawler has obtained a new Special entirely, a Counter that acts as a Command Grab!

It is very similar to Geese Howard's (Fatal Fury) iconic "predictabo".

While we haven't seen Down Special 3 (Foot Flurry) in any media, could this mean the Mii Fighters have gained more Custom Move options? There was supposed to be 4 options in the 3DS and Wii U games.
- - - - - -
It also appears that Neutral Special 2 (Ultimate Uppercut) received a huge change, now actually acting more like a true shoryuken! Or is it another entirely new move?
- - - - - -
Up Special 1(Soaring Axe Kick) also appears to have been made much faster as well.
- - - - - -
It appears that Brawler's jab may work like Meta Knight's?
- - - - - -
Forward Smash appears to be much faster with less endlag.
- - - - - -
Down Special 2 (Feint Jump)'s kick appears to have a lower angle. Meaning it will likely have less recovery utility.
- - - - - -

Mii Swordfighter
Side Special 2 (Slash Launcher) appears to have changed slightly?
- - - - - -
New Dash Attack!
- - - - - -
Neutral Special 3 (Blurring Blade) is now fire-based!
- - - - - -
Jab 3 appears to have changed.
- - - - - -
Down Special 3 (Power Thrust) appears to cover less area (at least on hit).
- - - - - -

Mii Gunner
Her neutral fighting stance has changed.
- - - - - -
During the rundown in the Nintendo Direct, it is mentioned all charge moves can be done in the air. While Samus was used as an example, it is probably safe to believe that Neutral Special 1 (Charge Blast) will be able to as well.
- - - - - -
Jab 1 and Jab 2 have changed to a punch and a roundhouse kick.
- - - - - -

Last edited:

One winged Devil

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4499-5767-3965
The new look for the Mii Fighters definitely makes them look more the part! A big step up from their more casual appearances. Additionally, it appears like the main Mii Fighters have grown a bit since the last game!

Mii Brawler
It appears Mii Brawler has obtained a new Special entirely, a Counter that acts as a Command Grab!

It is very similar to Geese Howard's (Fatal Fury) iconic "predictabo".

While we haven't seen Down Special 3 (Foot Flurry) in any media, could this mean the Mii Fighters have gained more Custom Move options? There was supposed to be 4 options in the 3DS and Wii U games.
- - - - - -
It also appears that Neutral Special 2 (Ultimate Uppercut) received a huge change, now actually acting more like a true shoryuken! Or is it another entirely new move?
- - - - - -
Up Special 1(Soaring Axe Kick) also appears to have been made much faster as well.
- - - - - -
It appears that Brawler's jab may work like Meta Knight's?
- - - - - -
Forward Smash appears to be much faster with less endlag.
- - - - - -
Down Special 2 (Feint Jump)'s kick appears to have a lower angle. Meaning it will likely have less recovery utility.
- - - - - -

Mii Swordfighter
Side Special 2 (Slash Launcher) appears to have changed slightly?
- - - - - -
New Dash Attack!
- - - - - -
Neutral Special 3 (Blurring Blade) is now fire-based!
- - - - - -
Jab 3 appears to have changed.
- - - - - -
Down Special 3 (Power Thrust) appears to cover less area (at least on hit).
- - - - - -

Mii Gunner
Her neutral fighting stance has changed.
- - - - - -
During the rundown in the Nintendo Direct, it is mentioned all charge moves can be done in the air. While Samus was used as an example, it is probably safe to believe that Neutral Special 1 (Charge Blast) will be able to as well.
- - - - - -
Jab 1 and Jab 2 have changed to a punch and a roundhouse kick.
- - - - - -
Nice find mate, I really love the new looks for the Mii Fighters.

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
While I found the miis to be kind of boring characterization wise in Smash 4 I did play a lot of the Miis simply because they were silly. This time around it looks like they actually look bad ass with their renders which excites me. They haven't shown off any hats or outfits but they wouldn't remove that feature.

I do ponder about the chances of a new mii type joining the roster.

Where did you get the individual Mii Fighter renders by the way?

Last edited:

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
While I found the miis to be kind of boring characterization wise in Smash 4 I did play a lot of the Miis simply because they were silly. This time around it looks like they actually look bad *** with their renders which excites me. They haven't shown off any hats or outfits but they wouldn't remove that feature.

I do ponder about the chances of a new mii type joining the roster.

Where did you get the individual Mii Fighter renders by the way?
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/..._highresolution_artwork_for_super_smash_bros/
there you go

objectively i dont really like gunner's render because the collar makes her look fat, but otherwise ive grown to them pretty relatively quickly

Caravan of Noobs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheCrazyPieMan
3DS FC
2621-3128-5801
Switch FC
SW-0260-3374-4829
Yeah the Mii Gunner's new render is the least interesting as it's just a slight change in pose from the one in Smash 4.
Thanks to linking me to that reddit thread by the way.

One winged Devil

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4499-5767-3965

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Yeah the Mii Gunner's new render is the least interesting as it's just a slight change in pose from the one in Smash 4..
Her gun's changed as well. Less Samus and more Torbjörn.

Still, I look forward to bringing back my 'Good Samus' Mii Gunner.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i was worried that they were going to return but i am pleased the they're back hope we get plenty of neat costumes again better start making some more miis on my switch

mind you i had an absurd number of mii fighters last time due to having made ridiculous numbers of miis to boost my population on tomodatchi life

Amberloo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sashaloo
3DS FC
1203-9998-9799
Huh, I assume the Shoryuken style move is a recovery based on Roy's? That's immediately what it reminded me of.

Happy they're back and guess I should start making more Miis on my Switch! I've got Jeff from Earthbound and Alex Kidd so far, need to figure out who else I could make... maybe Arthur from GnG. That would at least give me one for each class so far.

Zema

Smash Journeyman
I do wonder how some of the costumes will work this time around, assuming they keep the ones from Smash 4. Will they keep them all? Some of them, like Geno's, probably wouldn't look too good with the new Mii proportions.

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
Btw, Brawler's Down B 1 (Head on Assault) is in the pics on the Miis page, so that really confirms customs.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
I don't play Mii, but their fun to have every now and then.
I want better Customazation, Instead of just Hat and Everything else, How about

Hat
Accessories (Eyewear, Earrings, etc.)
Shirt
Pants
Shoes

And give me Midna's Helmet as a Hat

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I don't play Mii, but their fun to have every now and then.
I want better Customazation, Instead of just Hat and Everything else, How about

Hat
Accessories (Eyewear, Earrings, etc.)
Shirt
Pants
Shoes

And give me Midna's Helmet as a Hat
I would really ant this idea too. I would also add weapons and more color options (especially to hats).

I would also remove some of the pointless hats like the frog hat or King K. Rool's hat. I would rather have full head swap with King K. Rool's head (like the black knight helmet) instead of a mii in some costume. Also could they fix the hockey mask and the shy guy mask to make them fit right.

The Mii's were some of my favorite things to play with on Smash (especially by myself). Just to see who could I make and how would they work in Smash.
HNI_0069.JPG

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
So, a few days ago zero made a video of Mii Brawler in Smash 4 getting early kills. It's titled 'KEEP MIIS BANNED'.

The video is pretty much just him cackling like a hyena while showing off kills at roughly 50-60%. ...As if Bayonetta wasn't doing the same thing.

We might want to get ahead of this. If we don't have a strong PR front on this topic, it's very likely **** like this will end in our characters of choice being banned again.

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
So, a few days ago zero made a video of Mii Brawler in Smash 4 getting early kills. It's titled 'KEEP MIIS BANNED'.

The video is pretty much just him cackling like a hyena while showing off kills at roughly 50-60%. ...As if Bayonetta wasn't doing the same thing.

We might want to get ahead of this. If we don't have a strong PR front on this topic, it's very likely **** like this will end in our characters of choice being banned again.
If they are usable online, i doubt they can ban them.

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
...You underestimate the Smash community's capacity and desire to ban things from tournaments. They'll find a way. I would be very, very wary about this.

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
How I'm hoping Miis work online:

Always default size/weight, any customs, any appearance.

Best case scenario is that Miis have a standardized height/weight offline as well, but I'd also be happy with specific restricted weight classes (light Mii, med Mii, heavy Mii) that you choose in the game instead of based off of the Mii maker.

Last edited:

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
That would be fantastic. It would speed up Mii creation, and standardize things significantly as well. I'd love to see it work basically like you've described.

Top Bottom