• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Crazy Hand v1.31 - Character editing program

Stormghetti

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
STRM#798
NNID
Stormghetti
Crazy hand has a glitch where it adds electric if you change throw knock back. Set the element to electric and it'll become normal
Alright, that worked, but do you think you can help with the other things...?

Fug Ebin Meme

Smash Rookie
I know it may have been asked before, but can anyone help me with reducing start-up frames on attacks, making moves faster and/or reducing ending lag? I'm lost, lol.
To reduce start-up frames, I just use two Frame Speed Modifiers, one to increase the amount of frames per frame, and one to set it back to normal.

Here's an image of what that would look like:

Since Bowser's up air has 22 frames of start-up, this makes the hitbox come out on frame 1.

General way to reduce start-up by any amount:
You have one FSM starting on frame 0, with the multiplier set to how many frames of start-up you want to remove (in this example, I'm removing all start-up, so the multiplier is 22)
Then, you add another FSM starting on the multiplier for the previous FSM (so again, 22), and the multiplier is set to 1 (so the move doesn't go through 22 more frames of the attack in a single frame)

TL;DR way:
look at the red box in the image provided
replace AttackAirHi with desired attack
replace 22 with amount of frames you want to skip

It's the same thing to reduce end-lag, except the starting frame of the first FSM is right after the hitboxes gets terminated, and you don't need a second FSM to set the speed back to 1x.
You can see this in the FSM below the highlighted one, it goes through the end lag 5x faster than normal.

Stormghetti

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
STRM#798
NNID
Stormghetti
To reduce start-up frames, I just use two Frame Speed Modifiers, one to increase the amount of frames per frame, and one to set it back to normal.

Here's an image of what that would look like:

Since Bowser's up air has 22 frames of start-up, this makes the hitbox come out on frame 1.

General way to reduce start-up by any amount:
You have one FSM starting on frame 0, with the multiplier set to how many frames of start-up you want to remove (in this example, I'm removing all start-up, so the multiplier is 22)
Then, you add another FSM starting on the multiplier for the previous FSM (so again, 22), and the multiplier is set to 1 (so the move doesn't go through 22 more frames of the attack in a single frame)

TL;DR way:
look at the red box in the image provided
replace AttackAirHi with desired attack
replace 22 with amount of frames you want to skip

It's the same thing to reduce end-lag, except the starting frame of the first FSM is right after the hitboxes gets terminated, and you don't need a second FSM to set the speed back to 1x.
You can see this in the FSM below the highlighted one, it goes through the end lag 5x faster than normal.
Thank you! I'll try this out. Since this needs to be patched to the ISO, how would I share the FSM edited character with everyone? Or do I edit the character with that program and export it back into Crazy Hand?

Also, how would I speed up an entire move? Not just a portion of it.

Last edited:
Thank you! I'll try this out. Since this needs to be patched to the ISO, how would I share the FSM edited character with everyone? Or do I edit the character with that program and export it back into Crazy Hand?

Also, how would I speed up an entire move? Not just a portion of it.
Not sure about sharing but I know to make it last for the entire move you just have to make the Frame Speed Modifier (FSM) Start on frame 0 or 1 and then don't have another FSM for that move.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
crazy hand has an export FSM button and it makes a notepad with all of them. people can then import them via crazy hand and voilà, I have your character

Last edited:

Stormghetti

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
STRM#798
NNID
Stormghetti
Not sure about sharing but I know to make it last for the entire move you just have to make the Frame Speed Modifier (FSM) Start on frame 0 or 1 and then don't have another FSM for that move.
Alright, I'll try it out tomorrow.

crazy hand has an export FSM button and it makes a notepad with all of them. people can then import them via crazy hand and voilà, I have your character
Okay. What about normal attributes? I tried exporting my changes on another ISO but the jumpsquat frames for my character weren't exported.

Last edited:

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
Hey, is there list of definitions for all the character attributes? I'm not sure how all of them affect character mobility

Masterman

Smash Rookie
Is there any reason the load characters option wouldn't be working? I saved .dat files for many edits for characters I did, yet when I try to load them into a new .iso, no change takes place. Anything I'm doing wrong?

Stormghetti

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
STRM#798
NNID
Stormghetti
Is there any reason the load characters option wouldn't be working? I saved .dat files for many edits for characters I did, yet when I try to load them into a new .iso, no change takes place. Anything I'm doing wrong?
That has happened to me before. While I can't say what makes this issue happen, I can tell you what I did to fix it...: get another copy of that ISO that has no changes on characters and try applying the .dat file on it.

Super4ng

Smash Journeyman
Omg I'm dying. All of StarPlatinum's posts are downright ridiculous. Wtf do you need a laser to shoot out of Mario's foot for? XD Anyways, I think a lot of my questions will be answered through this thread so I am going to start reading through. One question specifically though, I was able to add the darkness graphic effect on Ganon's fair (I am literally teaching myself how to use this stuff, I just copied the graphic effect on Mewtwo's fair). It looks pretty good, but I have a few problems. First, the graphic effect is attached to the bone on Ganon's arm, but the way it appears makes it look like it comes out of his elbow (instead of his hand or lower arm). I have made several attempts to move the graphic by playing with the XYZ offsets and nothing has worked. Second thing, the graphic effect doesnt disappear on landing like Mewtwo's does. It lingers for about a second before disappearing. Thanks for all the help in advance!

Last edited:

Super4ng

Smash Journeyman
Can you modify/remove hurtboxes with Crazyhand? If not, a point in the right direction would be appreciated.

Punkline

Dr. Frankenstack
Can you modify/remove hurtboxes with Crazyhand? If not, a point in the right direction would be appreciated.
Crazy Hand helps you modify character file data, with a convenient interface for working with character subaction event data. This is how hitboxes are defined, and they may be easily modified, removed, or even added.

See this excellent post from Magus for more info on what exactly gets defined in the hitbox data, and this thread for more info on other subaction events in general. The UI in Crazy Hand simplifies things by quite a bit, so I'd recommend just playing with various character hitboxes to get a feel for things.

---

How exactly does wobbling work? Couldn't you just remove the knockback from Popo's pummel?
See _glook's video in the post that Achilles linked to for info on the mechanics behind wobbling, and the best way to prevent it. Knockback is tied to hitbox variables initialized through subaction event data, which is defined in the file data you can edit through Crazy Hand. The file data eventually gets loaded into RAM, so it’s possible to manipulate it through code for more specific purposes as well--which is what I attempted to crudely modify in my version of the code.

---

Is there a way to add the N64 Fast Fall sparkle to melee?
Graphic Effects can be added to a character action by modifying the related subaction event data; just like hitboxes. It would be possible to do what you’re asking by modifying the right file data, but would probably turn out to be more practical in the form of a code. See this thread for some references on available particle effects that can be assigned through subaction event data.

---

I was able to add the darkness graphic effect on Ganon's fair (I am literally teaching myself how to use this stuff, I just copied the graphic effect on Mewtwo's fair). It looks pretty good, but I have a few problems. First, the graphic effect is attached to the bone on Ganon's arm, but the way it appears makes it look like it comes out of his elbow (instead of his hand or lower arm). I have made several attempts to move the graphic by playing with the XYZ offsets and nothing has worked. Second thing, the graphic effect doesnt disappear on landing like Mewtwo's does. It lingers for about a second before disappearing. Thanks for all the help in advance!
Characters all have different skeletons, and so their bone IDs don’t match up like you would expect when just copying things over like that. In fact, if you attempt to use a bone ID that doesn’t exist on a character, it will crash the game.

One of the best ways to get an idea for what’s what in character skeletons is through the mdl0 files Zankyou provided in this thread. You’ll be able to take bone IDs from the preview in brawlbox and use them to inform your decisions about creating origins for particle effects. (and other things, like hitboxes)

It's also worth considering that hitbox element types, body auras, and smash charges can produce other graphic effects.

Last edited:

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
How would I change the length of Marth's Up-B and Falcons Side-B?
1. It's a character specific attribute. Look at his ones under upb and change one of those values.

2. You can't.

Btw Punkline Punkline do you know how to make G&W *visuals* bigger. Like manhole, parachute, chair...?

Punkline

Dr. Frankenstack
Btw Punkline Punkline do you know how to make G&W *visuals* bigger. Like manhole, parachute, chair...?
Afraid not. I might know of a good place to start looking though...

I had some insight on player model objects like this a couple of months ago while browsing the powerful pointers in the 0x5B0 - 0x610 area of internal player data (in RAM.)

You can kinda see here that 0x5F4 is an anomaly for characters like Peach and G&W. This is allocated space for the IDs that get toggled in stuff like the model_mod event.

Some notes:
Code:
Internal Player Data:

0x5AC    Word    number of active char model view flags
    (setting to 0 removes G&W cell shade outline on pieces of body)

0x5B0    unk    ??
0x5B4    unk    ?? flags?
0x5B8    point    Unk1    All characters use this
0x5BC    point    Unk2    All characters use this
0x5C0    point    Unk3    All characters use this
0x5C4    point    Unk4    Only Dr, Bw, Pe, Ys, Cf, Gd, Fx, Ic, Kb, Sm, Sh, Ln, Yl, and GW from the playable roster use this
0x5C8    point    Unk5    Only GW from the playable roster uses this

0x5CC    Word    Number of matanim joints?    "Corresponds with how many pointers appear between 0x5D4 and 0x5E0 (and possibly 0x5E4)
    (G&W, Samus, CF, Ganondorf = 0   ; Mewtwo = 4   ; Else = 2")
0x5D0    point    Unk    Null when above number is 0, so likely related to pointers below
0x5D4    point    Animated Texture    Tested this one with Mario, points to texture instance that get manipulated by subaction event A0 (texture animation states)
0x5D8    point    Animated Texture 2    First 2 are likely commonly used for eye blinking. This was the case for Mario.
0x5DC    point    Animated Texture 3
0x5E0    point    Animated Texture 4    Only Mewtwo from playable roster uses more than 2
0x5E4    point    Animated Texture 5?    No playable character seems to use this

0x5E8    point    Player "Skeleton" -- Bone Lookup Table (Index of bone instances used for both coordinate information and some types of animation)
0x5EC    Word    ID? Quantity? Something unique by character (Thought this was a bone count, but that doesn't seem to be the case)
0x5F0    point    Player Object Lookup Table (Points to player material/mesh instance pairings that make up player models)

0x5F4    start of Character Model View Flags Struct (12 * 0x2)
You may have luck with the 5 unknown pointers starting at 0x5B8. I don't know much about them.

It would appear that 0x5F4 is the start of a structure that contains 12 elements with a * 2 byte alignment:

Code:
0x0    byte    Default Model View ID (FF = disable)
0x1    byte    Current ID (reverts to default)
Samples from G&W:

Code:
G&W Model View IDs:

0x5F4    00 = show body/arms
        else = no body/arms

0x5F6    00 = Juggle Ball
        else = nothing

0x5F8    00 = open mouth
        01 = normal head
        02 = Blowing Mouth
        03 = Diving Helm
        else = no head

0x5FA    00 = show nose
        else = no nose

0x5FC    00 = hard hat
        else = nothing

0x5FE    00 = holding bell
        01 = equals sign
        02 = bucket
        03 = Chair
        04 = Flag
        05 = Key
        06 = Frying Pan
        07 = Hammer
        else = nothing

0x600    00 = Bucket Meter 1
        else = nothing

0x602    00 = Bucket Meter 2
        else = nothing

0x604    00 = Bucket Meter 3
        else = nothing

0x606    00 = hammer in other hand
        else = nothing

0x608    00 = unk dot state 1
        01 = unk dot state 2 closer to head
        02 = unk dot state 3 closest to head
        03 = Z state 1 (snoring)
        04 = Z state 2 closer to head
        05 = Z state 3 closest to head

0x60A    unused (corresponds with 0xB value in 0x5AC)
Some 1.02 Symbols:

Code:
800749cc $!_CharacterObjectFlag_Initialize_All?
80074a4c $!_CharacterObjectFlag_Set_Default_objectID_r4=structID_r5=input
80074a74 $!_CharacterObjectFlag_Get_Default_objectID_r4=structID
80074a8c $!_CharacterObjectFlag_Revert_All_to_Default
80074acc $!_CharacterObjectFlag_Temporary_Disable_All
80074b0c $!_CharacterObjectFlag_Set_Temporary_r3=playerData_r4=structID_r5=objectID
80074b6c $?_CharacterObjectFlag_?_uses_bytes_from_offset_0x5B0

---

This is also where the game ties up many related player assets that eventually get used by player bones/meshes/materials. The entire player object structure is pointed to here after being instantiated.

I was trying to learn more about it a couple weeks ago while trying some new tricks in Cheat Engine:
@DRGN @zankyou

Last edited:

Stormghetti

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
STRM#798
NNID
Stormghetti
how do you make a move come out really fast (pls post screen shot)
I'm going to explain it to you in a very simple way (this has been answered to me literally all the way up in this page, but in case someone new doesn't know and wants a more detailed but simple explanation...).

Go to "ISO patches" at the top right and apply the only patch to your current ISO loaded.

Then go here:

As you can see, I have some FSMs prepared already, but I'm going to tell you how they work:

So, "Starting Frame: 0" means the speed multiplier (Multiplier: 1.3. It's a comma because I live in Spain, but it should be a dot in your case) starts on frame 0, so the multiplier will take effect from the first frame until the end, unless you add another FSM that makes the animation's speed go back to normal in frame X like in the FSM above (basically adding another FSM with a multiplier of 1, which is the default speed). That's basically what you need to make a move come out faster. You could make hitboxes come out faster as well, and that's inside the subaction.

What FSM does is skip frames according to the multiplier's value, so when you go inside of the Debug Menu, enable subactions and hitboxes, you'll notice the move actually seems to come out on the same frame as in vanilla, but if you count frame by frame until the animation ends, you'll notice that the move actually comes out sooner/ends earlier, because FSMs don't alter subactions' values, so you need to count the frames manually.

Last edited:

slowbruh

Smash Cadet
I'm going to explain it to you in a very simple way (this has been answered to me literally all the way up in this page, but in case someone new doesn't know and wants a more detailed but simple explanation...).

Go to "ISO patches" at the top right and apply the only patch to your current ISO loaded.

Then go here:

As you can see, I have some FSMs prepared already, but I'm going to tell you how they work:

So, "Starting Frame: 0" means the speed multiplier (Multiplier: 1.3. It's a comma because I live in Spain, but it should be a dot in your case) starts on frame 0, so the multiplier will take effect from the first frame until the end, unless you add another FSM that makes the animation's speed go back normal in frame X like in the FSM above (basically adding another FSM with a multiplier of 1, which is the default speed). That's basically what you need to make a move come out faster. You could make hitboxes come out faster as well, and that's inside the subaction.

What FSM does is skip frames according to the multiplier's value, so when you go inside of the Debug Menu, enable subactions and hitboxes, you'll notice the move actually seems to come out on the same frame as in vanilla, but if you count frame by frame until the animation ends, you'll notice that the move actually comes out sooner/ends earlier, because FSMs don't alter subactions' values, so you need to count the frames manually.
thank you but where can i get a list of alll the atttacks

Stormghetti

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
STRM#798
NNID
Stormghetti
thank you but where can i get a list of alll the atttacks
No problem. You can search them on Google (sorry for not giving the results right away) or you can enable subactions in the Debug Menu, input an attack, pause and look at the attack's name at the top of the screen. If you can't do this, search for a character's frame data, they should have gifs of them with the name of the attack at the top of the gifs.

Last edited:

Middle Mang

Smash Cadet
Since most of the stuff I want to do I need more knowledge with other programs, is there any way that just with crazy hand I can add horizontal or vertical momentum to normals? Like Marth sliding forward with down tilt or making an aerial into a divekick? I remember trying to find it on the forums and seeing omegagmaster working on dr.mario's down B but I'm not good with hex.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
You can't add momentum to any A moves on any character except G&W.

You would need to learn assembly and add codes to do that

Super4ng

Smash Journeyman
Crazy Hand helps you modify character file data, with a convenient interface for working with character subaction event data. This is how hitboxes are defined, and they may be easily modified, removed, or even added.

See this excellent post from Magus for more info on what exactly gets defined in the hitbox data, and this thread for more info on other subaction events in general. The UI in Crazy Hand simplifies things by quite a bit, so I'd recommend just playing with various character hitboxes to get a feel for things.

---

See _glook's video in the post that Achilles linked to for info on the mechanics behind wobbling, and the best way to prevent it. Knockback is tied to hitbox variables initialized through subaction event data, which is defined in the file data you can edit through Crazy Hand. The file data eventually gets loaded into RAM, so it’s possible to manipulate it through code for more specific purposes as well--which is what I attempted to crudely modify in my version of the code.

---

Graphic Effects can be added to a character action by modifying the related subaction event data; just like hitboxes. It would be possible to do what you’re asking by modifying the right file data, but would probably turn out to be more practical in the form of a code. See this thread for some references on available particle effects that can be assigned through subaction event data.

---

Characters all have different skeletons, and so their bone IDs don’t match up like you would expect when just copying things over like that. In fact, if you attempt to use a bone ID that doesn’t exist on a character, it will crash the game.

One of the best ways to get an idea for what’s what in character skeletons is through the mdl0 files Zankyou provided in this thread. You’ll be able to take bone IDs from the preview in brawlbox and use them to inform your decisions about creating origins for particle effects. (and other things, like hitboxes)

It's also worth considering that hitbox element types, body auras, and smash charges can produce other graphic effects.
I appreciate the replies dude! One thing though, the magus post you referenced hitboxes, when I was wondering about how to modify hurtboxes. Been trying to read through the threads and anything but came up empty so far.

Punkline

Dr. Frankenstack
Since most of the stuff I want to do I need more knowledge with other programs, is there any way that just with crazy hand I can add horizontal or vertical momentum to normals? Like Marth sliding forward with down tilt or making an aerial into a divekick? I remember trying to find it on the forums and seeing omegagmaster working on dr.mario's down B but I'm not good with hex.
You can't add momentum to any A moves on any character except G&W.

You would need to learn assembly and add codes to do that
This could be done with code as Ripple stated, by using these values on the SSBM Data Sheet:

Something to consider though; Achilles's custom character data modification subaction event allows anyone to use information like the kind shown above and pack small character hacks into subaction events. It’s limited to the internal player data structure, but if player entities are all you need to edit, then this can be far more convenient than writing codes that are tied to frame data.

If you're already familiar with CH then it can also be a nice door for getting your feet wet with mods that edit live memory. It's also not a bad way to get acquainted with hexadecimal.

I have a post where I went over this in a little more detail earlier, trying to use the values above in order to get Mewtwo to float. Middle Mang Middle Mang , if I’m not mistaken, this is how omegagmaster’s Doc downB mod works.

@Nuthilo

---

I appreciate the replies dude! One thing though, the magus post you referenced hitboxes, when I was wondering about how to modify hurtboxes. Been trying to read through the threads and anything but came up empty so far.
My bad, I read that as "hit"boxes~

Hurtboxes can be edited only in the simplest sense from subaction event data in Crazy Hand (as far as I know.)

In RAM, characters have ways of changing through hurtbox states ( 0=normal, 1=invulnerable, 2=intangible.) These changes happen either by setting the state IDs of individual hurtboxes, or changing a special player data offset that controls all of them at once.

See how vanilla characters make use of the “Bone State” and “Body State” subaction events in Crazy Hand:
  • Player_10-[68]-Set_BodyState_and_Apply_Color_Overlay
  • Player_11-[6C]-Bodystate_Status
  • Player_12-[70]-Hurtbox_Status
If you’d like to edit other aspects of a hurtbox, you can look at the data posted here for information on offsets in the internal player data that can be edited with the custom event I mentioned above. It's likely that the values in these offsets could be used to find the locations of the data in character dat files.

Last edited:

Stormghetti

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
STRM#798
NNID
Stormghetti
This could be done with code as Ripple stated, by using these values on the SSBM Data Sheet:

Something to consider though; Achilles's custom character data modification subaction event allows anyone to use information like the kind shown above and pack small character hacks into subaction events. It’s limited to the internal player data structure, but if player entities are all you need to edit, then this can be far more convenient than writing codes that are tied to frame data.

If you're already familiar with CH then it can also be a nice door for getting your feet wet with mods that edit live memory. It's also not a bad way to get acquainted with hexadecimal.

I have a post where I went over this in a little more detail earlier, trying to use the values above in order to get Mewtwo to float. Middle Mang Middle Mang , if I’m not mistaken, this is how omegagmaster’s Doc downB mod works.

@Nuthilo

---

My bad, I read that as "hit"boxes~

Hurtboxes can be edited only in the simplest sense from subaction event data in Crazy Hand (as far as I know.)

In RAM, characters have ways of changing through hurtbox states ( 0=normal, 1=invulnerable, 2=intangible.) These changes happen either by setting the state IDs of individual hurtboxes, or changing a special player data offset that controls all of them at once.

See how vanilla characters make use of the “Bone State” and “Body State” subaction events in Crazy Hand:
  • Player_10-[68]-Set_BodyState_and_Apply_Color_Overlay
  • Player_11-[6C]-Bodystate_Status
  • Player_12-[70]-Hurtbox_Status
If you’d like to edit other aspects of a hurtbox, you can look at the data posted here for information on offsets in the internal player data that can be edited with the custom event I mentioned above. It's likely that the values in these offsets could be used to find the locations of the data in character dat files.
That's really informative. Is it possible to add states to a move in CH? I want to try giving a move a body state section.

Punkline

Dr. Frankenstack
Stormghetti Stormghetti It's likely possible to add states, but I don't quite know what all of the necessary steps to take would be.

Adding space is a bit easier, and there are a few established methods:

Last edited:

Stormghetti

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
STRM#798
NNID
Stormghetti
Stormghetti Stormghetti It's likely possible to add states, but I don't quite know what all of the necessary steps to take would be.

Adding space is a bit easier, and there are a few established methods:
Alright, I'll try and see some time later. I didn't necessarily need to change it right now, but when I'm interested in doing it, I'll read these threads.

Last edited:

Super4ng

Smash Journeyman
How can you let Zelda act out of side b? I tried looking at SD remix, but I couldnt see any differences in the move logic. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

TheDiamondBladeHD

Smash Rookie
When I try to open the .jar file with the Java platform Binary, there is a small cmd.exe like window which closes itself after a few seconds. Nothing happens. Could somebody help me?
Now I updated my Java, but this time ACTUALLY nothing appears. Not even a small window. Oh, and before I updated Java, I tried to read that window (which was only visible for about 50 milliseconds btw). It said '(random programmer text) Could not find the class C:\users\(my name)\Desktop\Crazy_Hand_v.1.31\Crazy_Hand_v.1.31.jar

Last edited:
Top Bottom