• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CPU's Learn?

Jenkins

Smash Lord
level one olimar after he dies is the funniest **** in the world. don't attack him, just watch what he does.

Absoltrainer

Smash Rookie
It's not nessasarly that the computers are learning, but more that the programming allows certain patterns to be noticed and to be copied. Everything you do uses code. It's a simple matter for the game to replicate that code into it's characters. Meaning that a certain way you play may be adapted based on something as simple as what if statements.

Example:
if (xxxx certain move is used x amount of times)
said move is added into CPU inventory.

It's not as straight forward and drective as that, but just like how your computer learns what websites you always vist, or what you last typed into the google search bar, or something like that.

It's not learning, but it's saving the variable so to speak.

Mith_

Smash Champion
The CPU on not the Wii I play on mainly but a different Wii they shield-grab ALOT.

Sheik tilt locks.
Fox drill-shines.
Wolf edge-guards by standing on the end of the level and spamming reflector (something one of my Wolf buddies does a lot.)
R.O.B does Dthrow to Uair combo all the friggin time >.>

towelie892

Smash Cadet
I play as Falco almost 100% of the time and the CPUs are learning a lot. CPU Falcos chain spike me, SHDL and SHL, and once I swear faced one that gatling combo'd me. CPUs in general also drop off of and regrab ledges for invincibilty frames, and crouch/stand up repeatedly if I die, as I sometimes do when I get a kill on them. Toon Link pretty much only dairs me, regardless of what's going on thanks to some of my n00b friends.

They are smart...soon they will destroy us all o_0

Denzi

Smash Master
I play as Falco almost 100% of the time and the CPUs are learning a lot. CPU Falcos chain spike me o rly?, SHDL and SHL I doubt they do them correctly though, and once I swear faced one that gatling combo'd me Coincidence. CPUs in general also drop off of and regrab ledges for invincibilty frames, and crouch/stand up repeatedly if I die, as I sometimes do when I get a kill on them. Toon Link pretty much only dairs me, regardless of what's going on thanks to some of my n00b friends lol..

They are smart...soon they will destroy us all o_0
Responses in lime.

We must destroy our games so they will not be able to get to us!

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
The CPU's AI is terrible. If you CPU is doing anything that you're doing, and vice-versa...then you're terrible as well :laugh:

As you get better at the game you will realize that the prospect of Brawl's AI learning anything is but a mere fallacy.

Mith_

Smash Champion
I hate the fact that they can "predict" (make actions based on your button input) almost all of my moves. It is impossible to safely get up from the ledge, and there is NO WAY in hell Zelda can reflect my PK Fire the only time I've ever used it in one match perfectly.

I've got the replay saved, if only I could upload it.

towelie892

Smash Cadet
Mithx said:
I hate the fact that they can "predict" (make actions based on your button input) almost all of my moves. It is impossible to safely get up from the ledge, and there is NO WAY in hell Zelda can reflect my PK Fire the only time I've ever used it in one match perfectly.

I've got the replay saved, if only I could upload it.
Doing things that were unintended (e.g., mortar sliding, gatling combos, IDC) "confuses" the CPUs. They have no idea how to react to the strange button inputs and get hit just about every single time because they think that, for example, Snake's dash can't hit them from that distance (but then the mortar slide does). It's funny to watch them just stand there and get hit helplessly:laugh: It almost makes up for the times when they taunt when you SD (that annoys me so much! YOU DIDN'T KILL ME! STOP TAUNTING!:mad:)

Denzi said:
I play as Falco almost 100% of the time and the CPUs are learning a lot. CPU Falcos chain spike me o rly?, SHDL and SHL I doubt they do them correctly though, and once I swear faced one that gatling combo'd me Coincidence. CPUs in general also drop off of and regrab ledges for invincibilty frames, and crouch/stand up repeatedly if I die, as I sometimes do when I get a kill on them. Toon Link pretty much only dairs me, regardless of what's going on thanks to some of my n00b friends lol..
Yup. They do all those things. They suck at SHDL, but they're not bad at SHL; they can't do silent lasers, but they do them close to the ground and often land laglessly.

Top Bottom