• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Counter Pick against IC

Diddyknight

Smash Lord
who counterpicks agaisnt Ice Climbers??

ive been wondering and ive been thinking it was marth...since his Range outranges IC N-Air and F-Air...cept Blizzard....
i want my lil monkey to fight for them if they hapen to come across them =3

Discuss...

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
MK. despite the frequent number of videos here showing ics killing meta knight, he has a definite advantage with all of his lame *** moves....

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I think ICs vs. G&W is even.

Marth isn't actually very hard for ICs once you get the hang of the match-up.

I'd say MK is their worst counter.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
*shrug* fly would know better than me

i think i just have a lot more MK practice than i do G&W

it's just annoying when they bucket the blizzard lol, since i spam that move all the time

i think fly is just a lil more aggressive and uses squall where i would blizzard more

fly

teach me how to use squall

or post a thread about squall, please?

i dont really know how to use that move lol im used to the highly punishable melee squall so i refrain from using it

ADHD

Smash Hero
Diddy kong has a field day if you know how to handle ice climbers. But diddy is more of a character you use for every matchup, so just go with metaknight.

Rykard

Smash Ace
kirby i find to be bad for them as well. his up B can be spammed through your ice blocks making them ineffective really and his back air is great for spacing and edgeguarding them

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
kirby is light and can't do much to ic's

i consider light characters VERY easy to cg and therefore KO

that's why i have problems with snake >_<

lol oh well i also main sheik and ddd so snake is a breeze still

Rhyme

Smash Lord
Try Olimar. I play a lot of Oli, and ICs have never seemed that difficult.

-Fsmash desynchs them. If you Fsmash everytime they approach, even if they shield then they will not be able to grab combo you.
-OverB can't outrange Oli's grab, so as long as you don't pummel you shouldn't get punished for grabbing (though I would suggest avoiding them anyway).
-Usmash will usually hit the rear climber, so after about four Usmash exchanges (meaning you will be Dsmashed or grabbed), the rear climber will be on the verge of death and it shouldn't be too hard to finish from there. Usmash also pushes them too far back to shield grab, and Oli has so little cooldown that he can Fsmash or just move before getting hit with any attack.
-Oli's overB stops the ice blocks dead, usually canceling three to five of them before the pikmin dies.
-Anytime the climbers are above you, a simple Uair will seperate damage, and usually lead into a follow up Uair or two against the rear climber.
-Fair takes ICs out of Squall Hammer (I'm not 100% sure if it does when they are grounded, but it most definitely does while they are airborn).
-If the ICs do get off a grab combo and try to spike you, you can upB meteor cancel the ledge as you soar past. Only characters with tether moves can 'meteor cancel' in Brawl. Oli can do this successfully as high as about 120% (beyond that I'm not sure if the rear climber's spike is too strong to keep this from working).

You're welcome to disagree. I'm just sharing my experiences with Olimar.

K 2

Smash Lord
MK is really hard. His attacks separate the IC's and he can procede to kill them individually.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
dont get separated

sound ridiculous? well we tell them "dont get grabbed" all the time so i guess its only fair

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
Zelda. Her moves hit the icies. Both of them. A lot. And she's one of the most CG-resistant characters in the game. That and the fact that she can outcamp the icies by far.

Miller

Smash Lord
Zelda. Her moves hit the icies. Both of them. A lot. And she's one of the most CG-resistant characters in the game. That and the fact that she can outcamp the icies by far.
Its not that hard to get all up in Zelda's face. She can't retreat all that well so as soon as you do get semi close, its an uphill battle for zelda.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
so um

who are ic's bad matchups besides MK and (imo) gw?

what about rob?

any mid/low tiers that give them trouble?

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
Its not that hard to get all up in Zelda's face. She can't retreat all that well so as soon as you do get semi close, its an uphill battle for zelda.
You don't seem to realize that getting up in Zelda's face is exactly what she wants you to do. The whole point of Din's Fire is forcing approaches, which Zelda excels at punishing. And her smashes will hit both of the icies, especially given their sheilding problems. A defensive Zelda will go to town on the Ice Climbers.

Miller

Smash Lord
You don't seem to realize that getting up in Zelda's face is exactly what she wants you to do. The whole point of Din's Fire is forcing approaches, which Zelda excels at punishing. And her smashes will hit both of the icies, especially given their sheilding problems. A defensive Zelda will go to town on the Ice Climbers.
IC have one of the best OOS game in brawl. It's definitely easy to space her while close as well. And yes, I do realize that if they get smashed, chances are one of them will get hit out of their shield.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
IC have one of the best OOS game in brawl. It's definitely easy to space her while close as well. And yes, I do realize that if they get smashed, chances are one of them will get hit out of their shield.
They may have a good OOS game, but a good Zelda will always wait for you to attack first, then retaliate. Zelda thrives on punishing whiffed moves, and if she picks either BF or Zelda's Mansion, you're in for a hurting.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
so um

who are ic's bad matchups besides MK and (imo) gw?

what about rob?

any mid/low tiers that give them trouble?
ROB's pretty tough, but he's not all that bad. He's hard to KO and approach and he can actually ledgecamp the ICs pretty well, but he has a really hard time getting around blizzard once you can get sort of close to him. Squall hammer also works really well as long you don't use it from too far away.

Snake's also annoying, but again, I wouldn't call him a counter.

Of the characters that I have a lot of experience against, MK is the only one I'd call an ICs counter, but I wouldn't be surprised if any of the random mid/low tier characters that can zone the ICs really well end up being tough. I do think that most of the lesser half of the roster is really easy, though.
peach and yoshi do decent against them (yoshi was misplaced on the tier list imo)
I don't know enough about Peach to really say much about the match-up, but based on my limited experience against Edrees, it seems pretty even.

How can Yoshi approach ICs? I've played a couple of good Yoshis, both of whom I wrecked with semi-mindless blizzard camping. Granted, they weren't amazing Yoshis by any means, so this match-up might not be as trivial as it feels to me.

Rykard

Smash Ace
yoshi can out camp ice climbers with the eggs, his back air is rediculous and can shield poke you which can also be used as a really effective approach, he can easily gimp them with a successful downair off the stage cause it desynchs them if they are together. and his kick jab thing is perfect for getting them away at close range.

granted, ice climbers can do a lot to him, but the matchup is more even than you might think.

im gonna play my friend later wh mains yoshi so i will be abe to get back to you on this more

TKD

Smash Lord
I think ICs vs. G&W is even.

Marth isn't actually very hard for ICs once you get the hang of the match-up.

I'd say MK is their worst counter.

FINALLY!! And yes, MK destroys IC. Snake's the next closest character to destroying them, but Snake's still beatable. Oh but I think G&W wins if he planks, though. He can just stay at the edge nairing and bucketting blizzards which is pretty much not nice.

You have to ditto MK to win tournaments.

lain

Smash Master
Annoying matchups: Diddykong, Marth
(These are still in ICs favor though)

Counter: MK (i guess..), IC's LOL

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
You mean dittos? I guess they're amusing, even though they're like "You want to blizzard, eh? Well, I'll counter with blizzard!"

Speaking of ICs doubles, though, I might do an ICs-ICs team at the next tourney I go to, whenever that is.

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
I'd like to chime in on who I use against the IC.

I use Sonic against the IC.

There are two things Sonic can do easily

1. He can seperate the ICs easily

2. He can chase down and kill Nana very quickly.

Sonic doesn't let me down.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
I'd like to chime in on who I use against the IC.

I use Sonic against the IC.

There are two things Sonic can do easily

1. He can seperate the ICs easily

2. He can chase down and kill Nana very quickly.

Sonic doesn't let me down.
i lost to a sonic at my first tourney... but that was only because he was patient. most sonics jut rush in and can be easily punished with blizzard. plus sonic can be grabbed during pretty much all of his attacks so its really easy to kill him if he messes up just a little.

Blackbelt

Smash Lord
i lost to a sonic at my first tourney... but that was only because he was patient. most sonics jut rush in and can be easily punished with blizzard. plus sonic can be grabbed during pretty much all of his attacks so its really easy to kill him if he messes up just a little.
Yeah, Sonic can't go Blitzkreig on the ICs.

Most of the time against the ICs, I just do a bunch of BS, rarely commiting to anything.

Top Bottom