• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Corrin Social - Still Fire Emblem Social

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
I could see us getting the two around the 12th of February... Honestly, if we get a Nintendo Direct in early February, I'd fully expect for the two to release when it ends or within a day or two.

BellaLunaWolf

Smash Cadet
NNID
BellaLunaWolf
3DS FC
5026-4611-0782
Corrin and Bayo being released the first week of February would be the best thing... Gaaah I can't wait for this month to be over! Again, ideally I'd like for them to be released no later than a week before the 19th, so I have time to play with them before Fates releases and won't release me from its grip.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I'm looking forward to Corrin solely for labbing a new character (probably won't invest full time into them though). I'm already knee deep in Cloud and will probably never stop unless the character gets like, killed or something (lol).

Should be fun to lab a new DLC char, just hope Corrin is like, good and stuff haha. Wouldn't want them suffering the same fate as 3/5 existing emblems.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm looking forward to Corrin solely for labbing a new character (probably won't invest full time into them though). I'm already knee deep in Cloud and will probably never stop unless the character gets like, killed or something (lol).

Should be fun to lab a new DLC char, just hope Corrin is like, good and stuff haha. Wouldn't want them suffering the same fate as 3/5 existing emblems.
It's kinda amazing to look at how much Roy was hyped up by everybody when he came out to be the best swordfighter in the game, even by the most known of top players. I was even on the hype train too.

...Now he barely any notable solo mains bar Sehtlon and is of little relevance. I dunno why he has such a significant lack of representation, maybe his general lack of safety and glass cannon nature?

sunfallSeraph

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5155-4095-3556
It's kinda amazing to look at how much Roy was hyped up by everybody when he came out to be the best swordfighter in the game, even by the most known of top players. I was even on the hype train too.

...Now he barely any notable solo mains bar Sehtlon and is of little relevance. I dunno why he has such a significant lack of representation, maybe his general lack of safety and glass cannon nature?
There's that... then there's the fact that being shaped from the Marth mold is the viability equivalent of kryptonite in this game. XP It's clear the devs understand now how to make a good 1v1 swordie in this game (MK, Cloud, Ike, Pit), let's hope they apply those lessons learned to based Kamui.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
There's that... then there's the fact that being shaped from the Marth mold is the viability equivalent of kryptonite in this game. XP It's clear the devs understand now how to make a good 1v1 swordie in this game (MK, Cloud, Ike, Pit), let's hope they apply those lessons learned to based Kamui.
TBF, Marth's main problem is the fact that areas of his attack that look like they should hit......don't.

As for Roy, I'm gonna be that guy and say I never really cared for Roy in Smash, this game or Melee. Even in the casual days of Melee, I always preferred Marth due to him sounding....less obnoxious. So when I found out he was in this game, I let out an audible groan. I'm actually kinda glad his hype died, TBH.

Bias aside, Roy's design flopped because he tries too hard to be Melee Marth/Roy, which simply doesn't work in this game.

That said, here's to hoping Corrin/Kamui doesn't end up like Fire Marth. :p

Last edited:

RandysRage

Smash Journeyman
Somewhere between the North and South Poles
Please don't hate me for this, but I honestly feel Corrin looks 10x more interesting than the other FE reps we have (with the possible exception of Robin, but I feel he's a bit too slow in this game for all the power he has). He's got the longest-reaching physical Fsmash that even outreaches Shulk's lightsaber, a fast, stunning projectile with a built-in followup, a counter that hits both sides and sends vertically (meaning he can discourage air juggles) and a side-special with tons of potential. While no one can take Rosalina's place as my main, I will definitely give Corrin a try as a secondary.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
TBF, Marth's main problem is the fact that areas of his attack that look like they should hit......don't.
If that was his real problem, it'd be way too easy to overcome just by getting to know the character. A Marth main shouldn't have to be able to see if Marth's move will hit - they should already know it when the press the button to activate it.

IMO, what Marth lacks is useful tools in general. He doesn't have anything to give him a killer neutral game - just short hopped fairs to hope to set up a wall. He doesn't have any combos or juggling. His recovery is one dimensional. Honestly, the only real strength he has that I can think of are disjoints and kill power, which aren't things exclusive to him.

Last edited:

ZephyrYoshi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smashwidget
If that was his real problem, it'd be way too easy to overcome just by getting to know the character. A Marth main shouldn't have to be able to see if Marth's move will hit - they should already know it when the press the button to activate it.

IMO, what Marth lacks is useful tools in general. He doesn't have anything to give him a killer neutral game - just short hopped fairs to hope to set up a wall. He doesn't have any combos or juggling. His recovery is one dimensional. Honestly, the only real strength he has that I can think of are disjoints and kill power, where aren't things exclusive to him.
He also has tiny range for someone explicitly designed around spacing.

Last edited:

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
IMO, what Marth lacks is useful tools in general. He doesn't have anything to give him a killer neutral game - just short hopped fairs to hope to set up a wall. He doesn't have any combos or juggling. His recovery is one dimensional. Honestly, the only real strength he has that I can think of are disjoints and kill power, where aren't things exclusive to him.
Actually, NAir is his bread and butter for aerial spacing this game, not FAir. Lasts longer than FAir because multi-hit, and is ALOT safer(Tippered second hit of NAir is +2 on Shield Drop and +1 otherwise, whereas FAir at best is -2). Jab 1 also lets him do mixup stuff, and his tilts still do what they're intended for. His combo game is lacking, I'll say that much, but juggling? It's not top tier, but UTilt and UAir, the latter of which can be used for landing traps and the like(which I won't go into detail because don't feel like it, lol). Recovery...eh....it's subpar, but there are worse. At least Marth has invincibility on Dolphin Slash, whereas Roy dies just by hitting him the right way.

Though Marth is still unviable, so eh. *shrugs*

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Actually, NAir is his bread and butter for aerial spacing this game, not FAir. Lasts longer than FAir because multi-hit, and is ALOT safer(Tippered second hit of NAir is +2 on Shield Drop and +1 otherwise, whereas FAir at best is -2). Jab 1 also lets him do mixup stuff, and his tilts still do what they're intended for. His combo game is lacking, I'll say that much, but juggling? It's not top tier, but UTilt and UAir, the latter of which can be used for landing traps and the like(which I won't go into detail because don't feel like it, lol). Recovery...eh....it's subpar, but there are worse. At least Marth has invincibility on Dolphin Slash, whereas Roy dies just by hitting him the right way.

Though Marth is still unviable, so eh. *shrugs*
My point isn't that he's horrible at a everything. Almost no one in Smash 4 is truly bad. It's just that he lacks a lot of serious strengths that make him really stand out.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
My point isn't that he's horrible at a everything. Almost no one in Smash 4 is truly bad. It's just that he lacks a lot of serious strengths that make him really stand out.
Ah. Yeah, I'll agree on that. Even the lower end of the roster competitively has a better shot in Smash 4 than, say, Brawl Ganon or Melee Kirby. :p

RebelXII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rebel133
i would refrain from speculation. i learned the hard way that when you expect somethings to happen, you sort of make the wait more painful and slower then needs to be. besides, its fun to enjoy the ride instead of worrying about the final destination.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Finally, I've finished my first set of eugenics plan for a route in Fates... my Hoshido marriages! Just thought I'd share it here because we like breeding, right? It's partially because of stats, partially because of looks/character.

I prioritized my (superficially) favorite kids so far, so it'll keep it in order of preference if I can.
Matoi x Corrin- I really like her without red hair and she has so much potential without Chrom as her heel.
Takumi x Azura- Kisaragi is my favorite kid so far, so I gave him a mom who had good Strength. I also love the idea of Takumi being prejudiced towards Nohr and Azura making him a better person.
Subaki x Mozu- I want to marry Matoi, so I don't want her to have red hair. Mozu gives the best defensive growths then.
Asama x Orochi- I dig her design. Her stats lean towards Strength, but I want to make her magical, so the new class Basaria seems like a decent spot to put her as.
Nishiki x Rinkah- Kinu seems to be a magical tank, and Rinkah helps her patch up her weaker physical defense.
Sakura x Tsifsaodhyomi- Spelling aside, Sakura pretty much stat-screws the other children. Rhajat seems like a good daughter for her.
Felicia x Saizu- I like Felicia, so the only other magical leaning kid is SugaiGrey. Super-serious ninja and a clumsy maid seem to be a funny mix.
Hana x Silas- I like Silas and Hana strengthens his Strength. Their personalities seem to be fun together too.
Everyone else- Uh... they won't be stat screwed hopefully?

Last edited:

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
Well that's some misinformation on Marth. LordShade67 LordShade67 ZephyrZ ZephyrZ
Poor animations don't make a character bad. At all. It's the hitboxes that matter. If Marth's animations were shrunk to match the hitboxes, his viability would not change one bit.

Marth's issue is not neutral either. He has very quick, long-ranged, and safe pokes (Both in the air and on the ground), coupled with an excellent walk for microspacing fundamentally makes for good neutral.

Marth's issue is that his good neutral leads into neutral. You hit a D-tilt? Great! Now you only need to hit another 10 before you could get a kill. Try not to mess up and eat 30%, K?
THAT'S his issue. The main thing that he does well in during advantaged state is edgeguarding, but he's still outclassed by many at that and recoveries are so good anyway that it doesn't matter much. The reward is just not there for winning neutral.

Take someone like Cloud. He can be played similarly to Marth, in the sense that he can space around and control space with his disjoints (albeit not as well as Marth because of poor ground spacing options). What makes Cloud good is that he can convert off of safe pokes like his Nair into long, damaging combos.

We can see this type of thing in most top tiers in many fighting games; being able to combo off of pokes is an amazing thing (in this game you have stuff like Sheik Fair, ZSS Nair, Cloud Nair, Mario Bair, etc.). Marth just doesn't have that.

RandysRage

Smash Journeyman
Somewhere between the North and South Poles
Finally, I've finished my first set of eugenics plan for a route in Fates... my Hoshido marriages! Just thought I'd share it here because we like breeding, right? It's partially because of stats, partially because of looks/character.

I prioritized my (superficially) favorite kids so far, so it'll keep it in order of preference if I can.
Matoi x Corrin- I really like her without red hair and she has so much potential without Chrom as her heel.
Takumi x Azura- Kisaragi is my favorite kid so far, so I gave him a mom who had good Strength. I also love the idea of Takumi being prejudiced towards Nohr and Azura making him a better person.
Subaki x Mozu- I want to marry Matoi, so I don't want her to have red hair. Mozu gives the best defensive growths then.
Asama x Orochi- I dig her design. Her stats lean towards Strength, but I want to make her magical, so the new class Basaria seems like a decent spot to put her as.
Nishiki x Rinkah- Kinu seems to be a magical tank, and Rinkah helps her patch up her weaker physical defense.
Sakura x Tsifsaodhyomi- Spelling aside, Sakura pretty much stat-screws the other children. Rhajat seems like a good daughter for her.
Felicia x Saizu- I like Felicia, so the only other magical leaning kid is SugaiGrey. Super-serious ninja and a clumsy maid seem to be a funny mix.
Hana x Silas- I like Silas and Hana strengthens his Strength. Their personalities seem to be fun together too.
I like how you've laid out your breeding plans like my brother does for his rabbits. Just something I've noticed. =P

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
If I wanted to breed anime characters I'd just play Pokemon.
I'm personally not going to think to much about pairings and just do what comes naturally this time.
Well that's some misinformation on Marth. LordShade67 LordShade67 ZephyrZ ZephyrZ
Poor animations don't make a character bad. At all. It's the hitboxes that matter. If Marth's animations were shrunk to match the hitboxes, his viability would not change one bit.

Marth's issue is not neutral either. He has very quick, long-ranged, and safe pokes (Both in the air and on the ground), coupled with an excellent walk for microspacing fundamentally makes for good neutral.

Marth's issue is that his good neutral leads into neutral. You hit a D-tilt? Great! Now you only need to hit another 10 before you could get a kill. Try not to mess up and eat 30%, K?
THAT'S his issue. The main thing that he does well in during advantaged state is edgeguarding, but he's still outclassed by many at that and recoveries are so good anyway that it doesn't matter much. The reward is just not there for winning neutral.

Take someone like Cloud. He can be played similarly to Marth, in the sense that he can space around and control space with his disjoints (albeit not as well as Marth because of poor ground spacing options). What makes Cloud good is that he can convert off of safe pokes like his Nair into long, damaging combos.

We can see this type of thing in most top tiers in many fighting games; being able to combo off of pokes is an amazing thing (in this game you have stuff like Sheik Fair, ZSS Nair, Cloud Nair, Mario Bair, etc.). Marth just doesn't have that.
Well, I always had difficulty with Marth's neutral, but I guess that's probably because I'm not that great at Marth.

Last edited:

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
I hope Corn doesn't rely too much on tippers, because I find tipping with Marth consistently to be difficult.
It's what I like about Roy, he's the only FE character that can be played rushdown, which tends to be more my style.

I will say, I hope all the FE reps stay for the next game, as unlikely as that is, but if anyone gets the boot, it should be Lucina. I consider Roy to be just as important to FE in Smash as Marth is, even if Sakurai and co. don't see it that way. It was Marth AND Roy who introduced FE to an international playerbase, it was Marth AND Roy who were popular enough to spark enough interest in the series to get FE localized. And Roy, along with Mewtwo and Lucas, was explicitly brought back due to fan demand. Cutting a character again, even after they've been brought back due to fan demand, would seem like the dickest of **** moves, in a fanservice game.

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871

Wow.
I never put that much thought in my pairings for Fates.
My only planned pairing aside from the avatar is Selena x Tsubaki (in Revelations, mainly because Selena would be the mother to the reincarnation of her own mother) and Setsuna X Takumi because it would be a family of archers.
Also how does Sakura stat screw the other children? I would like to know.
Their purpose is to make better bunnies.
"DON'T MESS WITH A BUNNY" - Yarne

Nah

Smash Champion
I hope Corn doesn't rely too much on tippers, because I find tipping with Marth consistently to be difficult.
It's what I like about Roy, he's the only FE character that can be played rushdown, which tends to be more my style.

I will say, I hope all the FE reps stay for the next game, as unlikely as that is, but if anyone gets the boot, it should be Lucina. I consider Roy to be just as important to FE in Smash as Marth is, even if Sakurai and co. don't see it that way. It was Marth AND Roy who introduced FE to an international playerbase, it was Marth AND Roy who were popular enough to spark enough interest in the series to get FE localized. And Roy, along with Mewtwo and Lucas, was explicitly brought back due to fan demand. Cutting a character again, even after they've been brought back due to fan demand, would seem like the dickest of **** moves, in a fanservice game.
idk, do we even know if Corrin has tipper moves or not? The whole tipper/hilter things has always sorta been Marth and Roy's thing so I find it hard to imagine that they'll make anotherb FE character even remotely revolve around that.

Personally I kinda hope that Roy doesn't make it back into the next Smash game; I never really card for him and kinda wish that they didn't bring him back, despite his "importance".

But really the only FE characters guaranteed to make it back in at this point are :4marth::4myfriends:, everyone else is kinda up in the air

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Tippers are pretty easy to get the hang of once you get spacing down. If you're worried about Corrin having to rely on sweetspots, just try practicing your spacing game.
idk, do we even know if Corrin has tipper moves or not? The whole tipper/hilter things has always sorta been Marth and Roy's thing so I find it hard to imagine that they'll make anotherb FE character even remotely revolve around that.
Forward Smash has a sweetspot at the tip, at least. I'm pretty sure Sakurai said that in the Smash presentation.

alguidrag

Smash Ace

My pairing is kinda similar, but i'm leaving the silas×hana for IK

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Wow.
I never put that much thought in my pairings for Fates.
My only planned pairing aside from the avatar is Selena x Tsubaki (in Revelations, mainly because Selena would be the mother to the reincarnation of her own mother) and Setsuna X Takumi because it would be a family of archers.
Also how does Sakura stat screw the other children? I would like to know.

"DON'T MESS WITH A BUNNY" - Yarne
Yes, I'm crazy... I'm halfway done with Nohr and the Revelation path too...

Oops, I remembered Sakura incorrectly- Elise is the one that stat screws a bunch of kids because of her terrible Strength in a strength-focused path. The only magical unit that she can help out is Odin... even in Revelations she can't marry someone whose kid benefits from the Magic stat. Sakura is okay, but excels in Magic, making her go well with kids that use Magic and her Strength is shockingly not awful, so she has more chances to marry someone who has a physically focused kid.

And perfect quote.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
Personally I kinda hope that Roy doesn't make it back into the next Smash game; I never really card for him and kinda wish that they didn't bring him back, despite his "importance".
And I don't care for Olimar, Kirby, Yoshi, R.O.B., Duck Hunt, Jigglypuff, or any of the Kid Icarus characters. But I don't necessarily want them cut. Actively hoping for a character to get cut is extremely petty, no game is made better by having less content in it.

Nah

Smash Champion
Hence why I started that sentence with the word "personally". I'm not about to go cry in a corner and scream about how Sakurai ruined Smash Bros by including one character (like some people do with Corrin).

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
So i made a list of my Fates pairings. And by list, i mean i have two pairings (because i will let the rest happen naturally) and i would like to hear your thoughts. Before i go on, i just want to say that my pairings are based on the characters and not on whether it would make a "good" child unit. The first is Subaki x Selena because having Severa's Selena's daughter look nearly identical to her Cordelia will be hilarious and it also makes a heartwarming Support convorsation between Selena and Matoi.

The other pairing i have planned is Corrin x Azura for four main reasons: The first being i decided she would be my waifu ever since the April Direct, the second reason being i like all three versions of their Supports (Corrin x Azura Supports are different depending on the path chosen), the third reason is that Corrin x Azura is on my top 3 list of implied canon pairings in Fire Emblem (the other 2 being Eliwood x Ninian and Roy x Lilina), and the fourth is that Hitori-Omou/Lost in Thoughts All Alone is amazing.

Speaking of Corrin x Azura (I don't know who drew these, i just found them on the Internet):

Of course, this means that i will have to leave out one child. In Birthright/Revelation, Rhajat will not be born and in Conquest.....because the way Conquest is structured, i may not be able to get mostly everyone to marry.

I am well aware that Corrin and Azura are cousins but seeing as how its only ever brought up once in the entire game and nobody makes a big deal out of it, i'll let it slide. Plus, that one line where Mikoto says that Corrin and Azura are cousins might get changed or removed in localization because it really is just one line that's never brought up again.

Last edited:

SubconsciousRose

Smash Cadet
Speaking of his trailer, the fact that Corrin was so serious about ditching his families to fight in some tournament was hilarious.
Don't we all wish we could just throw all obligations out the window in order to get into Smash Bros itself more?

Also the part that's even better to me is how there's just high school/soon to be college obligations for me.
Meanwhile Corrin is literally throwing the fates of two kingdoms out the window with the decision to join Smash just because it seems exciting.

It's Villager throwing being a mayor to the side all over again except on an even grander and more comical scale.

Last edited:

Tarastel

Claymore
NNID
Tarastel

But really the only FE characters guaranteed to make it back in at this point are :4marth::4myfriends:, everyone else is kinda up in the air
Hard to not sound biased cause of the Avatar(pun intended) but I think :4robinm: is likely to come back as well, considering Robin has a completely unique move set, first and only current character with arial smash attacks, plus represents FE the best out of all the other reps cause of the weapon durability(also there's :4robinf: for added variety). Just my

Last edited:

alguidrag

Smash Ace
Somehow I don't like azura, and its the first "dancer character" that i had dislike since Raphiel (i think thats the name of the heron that debuted in RD) i don't know, she just don't hit me like others in the game, maybe i see her a bit non-emotional woman

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
So i made a list of my Fates pairings. And by list, i mean i have two pairings (because i will let the rest happen naturally) and i would like to hear your thoughts. Before i go on, i just want to say that my pairings are based on the characters and not on whether it would make a "good" child unit. The first is Subaki x Selena because having Severa's Selena's daughter look nearly identical to her Cordelia will be hilarious and it also makes a heartwarming Support convorsation between Selena and Matoi.

The other pairing i have planned is Corrin x Azura for four main reasons: The first being i decided she would be my waifu ever since the April Direct, the second reason being i like all three versions of their Supports (Corrin x Azura Supports are different depending on the path chosen), the third reason is that Corrin x Azura is on my top 3 list of implied canon pairings in Fire Emblem (the other 2 being Eliwood x Ninian and Roy x Lilina), and the fourth is that Hitori-Omou/Lost in Thoughts All Alone is amazing.

Speaking of Corrin x Azura (I don't know who drew these, i just found them on the Internet):

Of course, this means that i will have to leave out one child. In Birthright/Revelation, Rhajat will not be born and in Conquest.....because the way Conquest is structured, i may not be able to get mostly everyone to marry.

I am well aware that Corrin and Azura are cousins but seeing as how its only ever brought up once in the entire game and nobody makes a big deal out of it, i'll let it slide. Plus, that one line where Mikoto says that Corrin and Azura are cousins might get changed or removed in localization because it really is just one line that's never brought up again.
I was reading your post and was thinking about your last pairing hoping that you knew the implications. I'm glad that you do.

My personal favorite is one that you don't see here- Azura and Lazward. The singer and the dancer just seem so perfect for me... also...

Soleil is the army's worst singer, and Azura, Shuigure, and Olivia are all fantastic ones. It makes me wonder about if Lazward is any good. [/spoiler ]

alguidrag

Smash Ace
Question, if you would give another class to each simbling and why
Mine
Ryouma Holy lancer because he son is one and its looks like a good class to him
Takumi spellcaster because i first thought that his bow was a magic bow
Hinoka i dont change
Sakura maybe spellcaster but she would became a sage in every base to me

Marx hero his fight style in some scenes out of horse looks like a hero
Camila berserker if she wasn't a wyvern i would put her in this class (dont know i think she is a bit similar to charlote)
Leon sorcerer the horse can't sustain all the power of the mage onii-chan
Elise Cleric even not being a nohr class i think cleric suits very well this baby

Top Bottom