• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Corrin Social - Still Fire Emblem Social

TimidKitsune129

Falling into Infinity
NNID
TimidKitsune129
Not gonna lie, Azura refusing to talk about Valla in Conquest was pretty dumb and was a painfully obvious attempt to keep all the suspense for Revelations.

About Corrin wanting to go ahead with invading Hoshido, my guess is that after witnessing all the crimes committed by Garon's men on their own people and not being able to do anything about it without the risk of being executed for treason, Corrin just wanted to end the war as quickly as possible no matter the cost. Essentially, a case of the end justifies the means. I understand the whole invasion of Hoshido is a heavily criticized part of Conquest, but really, what other choice did they have? Corrin isn't strong enough to confront Garon by themselves. They needed the royal siblings to even stand a chance, and they make it pretty clear that even though they love Corrin, their loyalty to Nohr is much greater and of higher priority. In the last chapter of Conquest, right before they confront Garon, Xander even remarks that if this ended up just being an elaborate ruse, they would be executed just like any other traitor, further stating that he wouldn't allow anyone, not even Corrin, to bring harm to his family. They needed undeniable evidence that Garon was actually Swamp Thing and was long gone. The siblings are aware that Garon is a horrible "human" being and isn't the man they remembered, but Garon is still their father and they can't bring themselves to murder the only parental figure they have left (until you show them evidence, that is). It is also implied, especially with Xander, that they hold on to a false belief that conquering Hoshido would bring their father back to normal.

One could argue Azura could have gotten another crystal ball to show the siblings, but I think that would have caused more doubt than provide evidence. Where did the crystal ball come from? They can't say it's from Valla. How would they prove that what's being shown in the crystal ball isn't an illusion or a ruse caused by magic? They wouldn't know how to prove that either. The only way they could prove Garon was Swamp Thing was by having the siblings witness a transformed Garon with their own eyes. Thus, the "White Throne" mentioned at the beginning of the game comes into play.

That still doesn't really make sense though, because Gunter joins in Revelations immediately after the split. There's no way he wouldn't of already been possessed by Gunter's death.
From what I understand, possession is much easier on a target who's mind is incredibly vulnerable and frail due to very powerful emotions. Takumi didn't take his mother's death very well at all, and Corrin choosing to side with the nation that took their mother away from them as well as countless Hoshidan lives made it even worse. Takumi felt incredibly betrayed, and the deep hatred he has for Corrin and Nohr as a whole is what allows Anankos to possess him. He's already in the process of being possessed by Chapter 13, where Takumi mentions having intense headaches. It's implied he actually dies when he falls off the Great Wall of Suzanoh, which allows Anankos complete control over his body.

The reason I say this is because Takumi doesn't go through this in Revelations, which is why Gunter was possessed instead. You might recall that Gunter mentions that he had an incredible grudge on Garon for killing his son and wife as well as razing his entire town to the ground for refusing to become a servant of his. It mellowed out over the years, but a desire for revenge was still there. This is what allows Anankos to possess him in Revelations, but since Takumi's emotions were much more vulnerable and unstable in Conquest, he made a much more suitable host in that route.

It's a bit confusing...

Fun fact: Takumi is encountered four times throughout Conquest. Four is considered an unlucky number in Japan, often associated with death.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'm tired of talking about Fate's stiry at this point, and I'm still forced to type on my cubersome phone, so I'll try to wrap up my thoughts as quickly as I can

Fire Emblem Fates had a very interesting premise and a lot of characters to work with, but it was all executed and explained very poorly. It could of easily been awesome, but I feel like writing three parallel stories at once while creating the incredible amounts of content and player pandering interfered with it, so it came out as a bit of a jumbled, unpolished mess. It did have moments where it shined, but it just fell into too many writing traps such as excessive player pandering pointless character deaths and 1-dimensional villains while also underexplaining far too much. They really bit off more then they could chew.
From what I understand, possession is much easier on a target who's mind is incredibly vulnerable and frail due to very powerful emotions. Takumi didn't take his mother's death very well at all, and Corrin choosing to side with the nation that took their mother away from them as well as countless Hoshidan lives made it even worse. Takumi felt incredibly betrayed, and the deep hatred he has for Corrin and Nohr as a whole is what allows Anankos to possess him. He's already in the process of being possessed by Chapter 13, where Takumi mentions having intense headaches. It's implied he actually dies when he falls off the Great Wall of Suzanoh, which allows Anankos complete control over his body. Complexity is no substitute for quality.
But Takumi is still possesed at the beginning Birthright, and Azura was just able to free him because they figured it out earlier then they did in Conquest.

Last edited:

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
But Takumi is still possesed at the beginning Birthright, and Azura was just able to free him because they figured it out earlier then they did in Conquest.
Wait, wasn't it established that it was Iago who was controlling Takumin in Birthright?

pointless character deaths
Oh boy. OH BOY! Can we talk about who stupid Izana's death in Revelation was? Kaze's possible death in Birthright, Lilith's deaths in Birthright/Conquest, Scarlet's death in Revelation and Flora's death in Birthright at least made some sort of sense but what in Naga's name is Izana's excuse? Honestly, it's so stupid, that me and my friend have this headcanon where Izana actually just faked his death, because it's something he'd do.

What's stupid about the scripted deaths in Fates is that, they happen so suddenly, that either, you already saw it coming, or you didn't and if it's the latter, it's just there for the shock value. Now, to be fair, the only other game to have scripted deaths is in Genealogy of the Holy War but there, it was also kinda there for the shock value. Although i suppose anyone who plays Genealogy at this point already knows that almost everyone from the first generation of the game dies.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Wait, wasn't it established that it was Iago who was controlling Takumin in Birthright?
Yes, but that was once Corrin and the gang travel in Nohr. From Birthright Chapter 10 and before, Takumi falls into the Bottomless Canyon, and was probably possessed by Anankos during his time there.

Astellius

Smash Ace
Not gonna lie, Azura refusing to talk about Valla in Conquest was pretty dumb and was a painfully obvious attempt to keep all the suspense for Revelations.
Yep. The ironic thing is, I didn't feel like it built up any sort of suspense at all, because it was so terribly obvious that the final villain was just going to be some sort of evil dragon god or whatever.

About Corrin wanting to go ahead with invading Hoshido, my guess is that after witnessing all the crimes committed by Garon's men on their own people and not being able to do anything about it without the risk of being executed for treason, Corrin just wanted to end the war as quickly as possible no matter the cost. Essentially, a case of the end justifies the means.
There's also the aspect that Corrin wanted to try to carry out the orders on his terms, so as to limit the amount of atrocities that would otherwise be carried out in the war. If Corrin does it, he'll try to minimize the casualties, see that the enemy gets treated fairly, etc. It's inevitable that Garon's going to want to invade Hoshido, and, if someone like Hans or Iago is at the front, then the Nohrian invasion will just be totally brutal. So there's that.

They needed undeniable evidence that Garon was actually Swamp Thing and was long gone. The siblings are aware that Garon is a horrible "human" being and isn't the man they remembered, but Garon is still their father and they can't bring themselves to murder the only parental figure they have left (until you show them evidence, that is). It is also implied, especially with Xander, that they hold on to a false belief that conquering Hoshido would bring their father back to normal.
Sure, there's potential here, but the problem with this part, at least for me, is that the storytelling mechanics didn't function too well here. Garon's a cookie cutter villain, and that's all you see. So why are your siblings following him? That's an obvious question. The royals mention that Garon used to be good, but it's not explored in any sort of detail, and nobody appears to actually dwell on that point all that much. The player doesn't get to see any of this, so you just have to sort through the innuendo yourself, and accept all the passing remarks the royals make without having your own evidence. So there's a lot of obvious and terrible evil going around, and the motivations behind the royal siblings actions aren't fully fleshed out.

Oh boy. OH BOY! Can we talk about who stupid Izana's death in Revelation was?
What was wrong with it? It was possibly the most inspired, moving, and poetic moment in all of Revelations! Jk, although it's a pretty funny moment to think about, because it was so random and trivial. Good thing I was totally ambivalent about him.

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
Yes, but that was once Corrin and the gang travel in Nohr. From Birthright Chapter 10 and before, Takumi falls into the Bottomless Canyon, and was probably possessed by Anankos during his time there.
When did he fall into the Bottomless Canyon?

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
When did he fall into the Bottomless Canyon?
He fell into the Bottomless Canyon shortly after the battle in Chapter 6.

Once you beat Chapter 10, Takumi tells the army that him and Ryoma were fighting near the Bottomless Canyon, and something triggered a massive landslide that separated the two brothers and caused Takumi to fall into the canyon.

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
He fell into the Bottomless Canyon shortly after the battle in Chapter 6.

Once you beat Chapter 10, Takumi tells the army that him and Ryoma were fighting near the Bottomless Canyon, and something triggered a massive landslide that separated the two brothers and caused Takumi to fall into the canyon.
I legit completely forgot about this.

TimidKitsune129

Falling into Infinity
NNID
TimidKitsune129
Yep. The ironic thing is, I didn't feel like it built up any sort of suspense at all, because it was so terribly obvious that the final villain was just going to be some sort of evil dragon god or whatever.

There's also the aspect that Corrin wanted to try to carry out the orders on his terms, so as to limit the amount of atrocities that would otherwise be carried out in the war. If Corrin does it, he'll try to minimize the casualties, see that the enemy gets treated fairly, etc. It's inevitable that Garon's going to want to invade Hoshido, and, if someone like Hans or Iago is at the front, then the Nohrian invasion will just be totally brutal. So there's that.

Sure, there's potential here, but the problem with this part, at least for me, is that the storytelling mechanics didn't function too well here. Garon's a cookie cutter villain, and that's all you see. So why are your siblings following him? That's an obvious question. The royals mention that Garon used to be good, but it's not explored in any sort of detail, and nobody appears to actually dwell on that point all that much. The player doesn't get to see any of this, so you just have to sort through the innuendo yourself, and accept all the passing remarks the royals make without having your own evidence. So there's a lot of obvious and terrible evil going around, and the motivations behind the royal siblings actions aren't fully fleshed out.

What was wrong with it? It was possibly the most inspired, moving, and poetic moment in all of Revelations! Jk, although it's a pretty funny moment to think about, because it was so random and trivial. Good thing I was totally ambivalent about him.
I definitely agree that Garon's past life is only ever mentioned and is pretty much never elaborated on ever again. They should have taken a more "show, don't tell" approach, because Garon comes off as very one note. One of the weakest villains in the series for sure.

Anyways, I got a bit sidetracked.

Corrin is my favorite character in the series and I'm super excited for the F!Corrin amiibo. I'm a bit mixed on Shadows of Valentia, but I'll give it a fair shot when it comes out. I'm more so excited for Fire Emblem Warriors and I desperately desire more info on it. I can't wait. :3

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
I'm a bit mixed on Shadows of Valentia, but I'll give it a fair shot when it comes out.
Oh yes. Shadows of Valentia deserves all the fair shots it can get because it's so different from anything else in the series. You're not the only one who's mixed on the game but trust me, you'll enjoy it. Gaiden/Echoes unique mechanic are fairly easy to get used to. In fact, it only took me one map to get used to the HP Cost mechanic, which is pretty big in Echoes, as both Magic and Skills cost HP to use. The HP Cost mechanic also isn't as bad as it sounds. If anything, it feels pretty natrual once you get used to it.

Echoes in particular is a special, unique mix of JRPG and SRPG elements. You've got classic grid-based combat but you also have characters learning Skills based on how often they use a certain weapon, mages learning magic as they level up, and even side-quests that involve you doing certain things.

Last edited:

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
The maps in Echoes are suffering and they make me want to cry.
If you're refering to the bland map design, just remember that they still require actual strategy to beat, as opposed to Awakening's bland maps where victory=letting Robin solo the game.

Astellius

Smash Ace
Corrin is my favorite character in the series and I'm super excited for the F!Corrin amiibo. I'm a bit mixed on Shadows of Valentia, but I'll give it a fair shot when it comes out. I'm more so excited for Fire Emblem Warriors and I desperately desire more info on it. I can't wait. :3
That Corrin Amiibo sure looks nice, doesn't it? They've been doing a really good job with making them.

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
I'm sure many of you will be happy to see this. The faces look kinda weird but that's standard for most human Amiibo anyway.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I'm sure many of you will be happy to see this. The faces look kinda weird but that's standard for most human Amiibo anyway.
I'm not actually impressed by the footage here, but like most amiibo, I'll probably like them a lot better when I see them in person.

...Also I see the cult continues to spread. I better start sleeping with one eye open.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I don't judge how the amiibos look like especially their faces until I see one in person.

And what "cult" are you talking about ZephyrZ ZephyrZ

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
And what "cult" are you talking about ZephyrZ ZephyrZ
I'm not Zachmac but I can anwser this. Popular YouTuber Alpharad, famous for his How to Play 101s, did this video
And then, as a result of that video, he made this tweet
Screenshot (552).png
And it became a "cult" even though he says it's not.

On a side note, you can get a shirt with this on it.

Last edited:

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
Tomorow is the Japanese release date of Echoes. Tomorow is also Fire Emblem's 27th Birthday. And tomorow is also Zephiel Day.
C9w-R63U0AA2eOs.jpg
78 HP with Wary Fighter 3. Jesus Christ. You're best hope is to have a good magic user with Swordbreaker and Triangle Adept.

It looks like the mages are the biggest threat so take them out first. Probably easier said than done however.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I rolled Faye today, who is both my first 5-Star Archer and my first Echoes character. I also like her art, so I'll definitely be using her.

On the otherhand, her shtick really does seem horribly overplayed. It's not even an original or interesting shtick either. I really hope she's not that cringeworthy in Echoes itself, but admittedly I have no faith in that.

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
I rolled Faye today, who is both my first 5-Star Archer and my first Echoes character. I also like her art, so I'll definitely be using her.

On the otherhand, her shtick really does seem horribly overplayed. It's not even an original or interesting shtick either. I really hope she's not that cringeworthy in Echoes itself, but admittedly I have no faith in that.
The poor girl has already been ripped apart to shreds over at Serenes, and other places. Even though she's really not as bad as people are making her out to be. My guess is that they are just tired of the shtick (which is understandable), so when Faye comes along, the hate for her just gets magnified.

The sad part is that not even Peri got this much hate and Peri is actually garbage compared to Faye.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
The poor girl has already been ripped apart to shreds over at Serenes, and other places. Even though she's really not as bad as people are making her out to be. My guess is that they are just tired of the shtick (which is understandable), so when Faye comes along, the hate for her just gets magnified.

The sad part is that not even Peri got this much hate and Peri is actually garbage compared to Faye.
Every single time I've tapped her portrait in Heroes to hear her voice lines, it's been about Alm. It makes me want to forgive Cordelia for what I said about her schtick a few pages back.

That said, she's not a character that I'm angry over the existence of so much as one who makes me roll my eyes. I doubt she'll have much of an impact on my overall enjoyment of the game, unlike the likes of Camilla.

Astellius

Smash Ace

I try to stay away from THAT part of the Forest, it generally gets altogether way too ridiculous and stupid for my tastes. I actually glanced through one of the threads on her after you pointed that out, and it looked to be just a steady stream of insanity. Oh well!

In defense of Peri, she's a unique, well-defined, and (imo) funny character. While plenty of people don't like her for good reason, her characterization is strong. The writing to establish her character is actually good, she'd fit right in if you opened a portal into a Disgaea game and dropped her off there.

My impression so far of Faye (which, to be fair, is based off of very little exposure), she looks like she might be a boringly devoted sort of character. There's nothing inherently wrong with this, but it's been overdone. Of course, I have no idea how this will actually play out in the game.

Instead of bashing Peri or Faye, let's bash Hisame and toss him into the brine!

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I already managed to nab a four star Zephial using my team of Leo/Michalis/Ninian/Sakura. Using Dancer cheese to stay out of his attack range sure was helpful. And if any of you don't have a dancer, a character with Draw Back also might work.

Last edited:

Astellius

Smash Ace
I did the GHB with a team of Merric, Rebecca, and 2 Olivia's. Rebecca sniped the blue mage on the left, I danced her to bait the other mage in a spot safe from the knights. Since Merric is a green unit, the knights swapped the red mage to the left (rather than behind the knight) after it attacked Rebecca. Rebecca sniped the mage, danced to safety, and then it was Merric on kite duty. Double dancers FTW!

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
I got a 4-Star Zephiel on my first try. Honestly, Zephiel's Grand Hero Battle is definitely the easiest one so far. The biggest threat were the mages but once they get taken care of, it's just easy. Wary Fighter negates the Breakers Skills tho. Learn something new everyday.

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
So Ash Paulsen of GameXplain was invited to an event to play the English version of Echoes for one hour. Here are his thoughts.
He said something that really got my attention too: "Every line of dialogue is voiced, and the delivery was consistently strong and engaging in the scenes I got to see. In fact I'd even go as far as to say the English voice acting echoes Kid Icarus: Uprising in its earnestness and professionalism". If the voice acting in this game is as good as Uprising's, then we are all in for a real treat.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
GameXplain uploaded a longer preview of the entire scene where Alm meets Clive.

Yeah, the English Dub is definitely sounding great. Not one voice I dislike.

Tobin and Gray are my favorites of the ones I listened to thus far.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I did the GHB with a team of Merric, Rebecca, and 2 Olivia's. Rebecca sniped the blue mage on the left, I danced her to bait the other mage in a spot safe from the knights. Since Merric is a green unit, the knights swapped the red mage to the left (rather than behind the knight) after it attacked Rebecca. Rebecca sniped the mage, danced to safety, and then it was Merric on kite duty. Double dancers FTW!
Hold on, you aren't restricted to one dance a turn? That's absolutely bonkers. Time to go grind up Olivia, then.

Last edited:

Astellius

Smash Ace
Hold on, you aren't restricted to one dance a turn? That's absolutely bonkers. Time to go grind up Olivia, then.
Yep, you can dance as many times as you have dancers! It's unconventional, to be sure, but this is a niche occasion where double-dancing worked well. It's also fun!

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
Oh yeah, today is Fire Emblem's 27th Birthday. Happy Birthday Fire Emblem!

Also, that "Shut up Tobin" quote from the short English clip we saw from Echoes? Yeah, that's a meme now. It's the new "Nohrian Scum".

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I just ran into my first Vantage Takumi in the arena. Screw this game.
Also, that "Shut up Tobin" quote from the short English clip we saw from Echoes? Yeah, that's a meme now. It's the new "Nohrian Scum".
"Time to tip the -"
"Shut up Robin."

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Man, don't get me started with that bull****. The last five or so Arena matches I had, they all had Takumi with Vantage in their group. The third one I faced ****ed up my winning streak and I simply just put my phone away and said **** this. I kept wondering why this happened to me...

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
I did another Summon today, hoping to get either Alm or Faye. Instead, i got literally nothing new. 20 Orbs down the drain, but what else is new nowadays? The only good thing that came out of it was that I got another Catria, and i used her as Skill Inheritance material to pass on Luna to Zephiel.

Top Bottom