• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Corrin Social - Still Fire Emblem Social

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
We have new Fire Emblem Cipher cards. The following image contains new cards from Binding Blade and Radiant Dawn. We've already seen 2 of them: Roy and Micaiah. But now we have Lilina and Soren and they look amazing.
Great artwork

Troykv

Smash Master
I decided to eat my words some time ago and try to actually buy Fire Emblem Fates (but I still don't have the chance to buy it)

Why this change of opinion?

Well... Certain Cinnamon Roll was able to soften my opinion about this game.

Goodness! I finally found a character in these games that I genuinely like.

I'm planning to buy Birthright. Which characters do you recommend?

Last edited:

atreyujames

The Laziest Man in the North
NNID
Atreyujames
I decided to eat my words some time ago and try to actually buy Fire Emblem Fates (but I still don't have the chance to buy it)

I commend you for commiting to taking the plunge. Its a great game. But what do you mean by "recommend"? As in strong characters to use frequently in battle? Or the best for supports? Or the best children to go for (all of them would be best, but it can be tough to plan ahead)? etc.

Last edited:

Tarastel

Claymore
NNID
Tarastel

I'm planning to buy Birthright.

Which characters do you recommend?
*Still playing Birthright Hard/Classic, but these are my current opinions on the cast.

Besides all the royals, Setsuna can be a pretty great unit if you give her certain skills like Astra and Death Blow from visiting a castle(not quite on par with Takumi but a fairly close second Sniper). Though you will have to baby her for a little while.

Reina and Scarlet are great since they come promoted already(but lack supports outside of Corrin). Silas serves a purpose in being a physical tank since you don't have Xander. Saizo is a great unit overall with having both physical and magical growths making him utilize both spectrum's. Kagero I'm having my Corrin marry so I've been prioritizing her, but from other reviews I've read she seems to excel as any offensive class. Don't think there is a single 2nd gen character that's bad from what I've heard(much like Awakening) so it comes down to personal preference with them.

From my personal play through Hinata, Fubuki, Hana and Orochi haven't been all that impressive. Though two of them are Swords masters and Ryoma is the only one you really need(exception being a Corrin one).

alguidrag

Smash Ace
Fubuki?

Well for me outside the royals Oboro and Silas works very well
Rinkah is the closest thing to a General in hoshido (together with silas)
Kaze is my mage killer
Mozu could even outclass the royals if well trained
Hana... holy Hana I think that she was the 2° strongest first gen in my first play (she outclassed even Ryouma)
Hinata works like a mercenary in samurai classes
I didnt used Kagero but she was mother of a glass canon selkie
Kaden is a mage killer
Saizo worked well, but kaze was strong than him

Astellius

Smash Ace
Who is the best mage in Hoshido? Since I dislike Rharjat and I plan to make my avatar a magical unit only in Valla.
Excluding children, it's easily Sakura, whenever you get her out of the Shrine Maiden class and into one that wields tomes/scrolls. I made her a Dark Flier right away in both my Birthright and Revelations runs, and she was incredibly useful and reliable all throughout both.

In any case, with the others in Hoshido, Orochi was useful early on, but her low speed resulted in her usefulness being phased out later on in the game. She can be a magical powerhouse, but really needs more speed to be viable later on.

And then there's Hayato, who is pretty useless and ought to be immediately benched, right next to Mozu. Since you don't want Rhajat, there's no real reason to use him.

I've heard that Izana is usuable, and also that Felicia can make a good mage. I always kept her as a maid, because she was always really good at that (despite her character lol).

Edit: I forgot about Azama. Probably because he's forgettable.

Last edited:

Arrei

Smash Lord
Pretty sure Hayato's your best Hoshido mage, though... magic close to Sakura but not as good as Orochi, better speed than both, better health and defense but the poorest resistance, and no staff babying for 19 levels required.

Sakura will quickly grow in Mag if you promote her to Onmyoji, but unless you stick around maps purposely feeding her experience, she'll also promote later than a dedicated mage will. And Orochi's atrocious HP and Spd makes using her incredibly frustrating. Birthright Chapter 14 had her getting murdered by the cavalry units so much....

As for Azama, he's fully built for promoting to Great Master rather than Onmyoji. He has decent physical stats but really bad magic.

Felicia's usable as a Strategist, but she's pretty middle of the road, really. What really makes her shine in Hoshido, though, is that she's one of your two choices for getting the level 15 Strategist aura skill for +2/-2 Dmg super easily, owing to her and Jakob's unique trait of being level 1 "promoted but not really" units. (That and with Jakob's bad Mag and the Elise-shaped void that goes unfilled, she's also the only really viable choice) Combined with her starting Demoiselle skill, Jakob's Gentilhomme, and Sakura and Hinoka's passive auras, you have some major buff formations going on there.

(Also while we're all on the topic of mages, can we take a moment to appreciate how Elise's stat spread apparently means she's so unskilled at combat she couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, but is so phenomenally Lucky that she hits anyway?)

Last edited:

Troykv

Smash Master
I commend you for commiting to taking the plunge. Its a great game. But what do you mean by "recommend"? As in strong characters to use frequently in battle? Or the best for supports? Or the best children to go for (all of them would be best, but it can be tough to plan ahead)? etc.
Strong units in battle.

And some Pairing suggestion.

Arrei

Smash Lord

By the way, the scene from that screenshot only appears in Revelation, sooooo... mebbe you'll be dipping into the ol' wallet a second time?

Now that I think about it, they ought to call Revelation the "make your little sisters happy" route.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004

Oboro was definitely one of my best units from beginning to end. I remember giving her the Guard Naginata that Hinoka had (you'll be able to purchase more of those once you upgrade your weapon shop to level 2 I believe), and it turned Oboro into a monstrous tank. She has great stats all around minus Magic and Resistance, but her Resistance stat isn't too low when you first get her, and the Guard Naginata gives a +5 boost to both Defense and Resistance. Her growths are great too. She's overall one of the best all-around characters in the game with no real weaknesses. I paired her with Takumi, and they made a great duo and a killer Kiragi (Takumi's son). Both enjoyed each other stat boosts, and their S-Support is one of the sweetest in the game.

Kaden is generally your mage killer, though he also functions really well as your mounted-unit killer, and that's pretty good considering you're going up against a lot of these kinds of units in Birthright. I paired him with Rinkah, and the two worked pretty well together considering they handled each other's Defense and Resistance weaknesses respectively. Speaking of Rinkah, she's your General that you'll use mostly to take hits early in the game. Great Defense and Speed stats, but doesn't too much Strength. Giving her a Hammer (you'll get one in Chapter 12) was what finally made her do real damage, though she became more useful once I upgraded her to Blacksmith.

All the ninjas you'll get are really good too. Kagero was my best ninja from my experience, and she and Ryoma were one of my best duos.

Silas is another tank that you'll have at your disposal, who you'll probably use more than Rinkah due to better mobility and having good Strength and Defense stats. Hana started meh at first, but by late game, she was really doing her magic as a Swordmaster. Azama was really strong as a Great Master when I used him, and Mozu is your villager who can become a godly unit if trained properly. Get her to level 10 then reclass to either an Archer or the Dread Fighter (obtained via DLC).

As for the Royal Siblings:

Ryoma is definitely going to be one of your best units. Very high speed, will crit very often, and hits really hard. If he gets hit, it can be troublesome due to having low defense and resistance sats, but he makes up for that by being very dodgy. He can pretty much breeze through a map with no sweat most of the time, so if you really want to challenge yourself, I'd only use him if the situation gets desperate. I remember using him to bait foes toward him so that he could either weaken or kill them, and that allowed my other units to safely finish things off.

Takumi is probably one of the best archers in all of Fire Emblem. His bases are good and has awesome attack power. The Fujin Yumi is nothing to scoff either as a weapon, as it helps him navigate through certain terrain that can hinder your units at times. Basically, he's pretty much guaranteed to land a OHKO when attacking. Archers as a class have also been buffed this time around. Character wise, you probably heard of the joke "Blame Takumi." Well, that's because he's one of those characters that you'll not like in the first encounter, but once you get to explore his character, you'll realize he's a pretty great dude (and playing Birthright especially helps in getting to know Takumi; I can also tell you that he and his son have some of the best parent/child support conversations in the entire game. Trust me, try getting them to A rank and you'll understand what I mean).

Hinoka is a better Pegasus Knight than Subaki, and she makes a fantastic unit overall. Great Strength and Resistance stats but a bit shaky with the Defense stats, yet she can still take a few hits well. She makes a great wife with Silas by fixing his Speed issue as well.

I already talked about Sakura in a previous post.

As for a heads up when you play Birthright: it's the easiest of the three routes since it's meant to be the route to introduce new players to the series. If you really want a challenge, you can try playing on Lunatic/Classic and see how it goes. A good chunk of the maps are also set up in ways that make certain maps easy, but there are extra goodies such as treasure chests or added grinding opportunities if you decide to take the harder route by going through a surge of enemies or avoid using Dragon Veins at certain maps where they can weaken enemy units.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Excluding children, it's easily Sakura, whenever you get her out of the Shrine Maiden class and into one that wields tomes/scrolls. I made her a Dark Flier right away in both my Birthright and Revelations runs, and she was incredibly useful and reliable all throughout both.

In any case, with the others in Hoshido, Orochi was useful early on, but her low speed resulted in her usefulness being phased out later on in the game. She can be a magical powerhouse, but really needs more speed to be viable later on.

And then there's Hayato, who is pretty useless and ought to be immediately benched, right next to Mozu. Since you don't want Rhajat, there's no real reason to use him.

I've heard that Izana is usuable, and also that Felicia can make a good mage. I always kept her as a maid, because she was always really good at that (despite her character lol).

Edit: I forgot about Azama. Probably because he's forgettable.
Azama sucks in my eyes

alguidrag

Smash Ace
Hoshido is easy except in some chapters that... "c'mon the last chapter I was only against weak enemies, and now I'm against a Army of promoted units with silver weapons?"
"DAMN THAT GIMICK"
"C'mon Hana can't you dodge a 10% hit?"
"Kaze... why you critted when you had 0 damage?"
"Damn generals with they 40% hit that never misses"
"Oboro why you activated Rend Heaven against a sorcerer?/WHY YOU MISSED A REND HEAVEN IN A BERSERKER??"
"Sorcerer... why you do 70% of my hp in damage, but in the last chapter you only did like 20% with a better weapon?"
"Takumi misses a 90% of hit in a malig knight and the malig kills Sophie,
Me: I blame takumi for her death"
(He only had 30% of chance to hit sophie)

Astellius

Smash Ace
Azama sucks in my eyes
Yours are not the only eyes he sucks in. I've found him to be good for not much. Also, for some reason, I paired him with Sakura in Revelations, and was treated to one of the dumbest series of support conversations ever. Especially the S-rank one. Regrets.

Tarastel

Claymore
NNID
Tarastel
I'm fairly curious as to what everyone's favorite weapon in Fates is. Not including the Amiibo's since their weapon's hail from other games.

Mine is surprisingly the Fujin Yumi. I was certain I was going to pick either Siegfried or Rajinto but a bow with a light string that literally materializes an arrow of light out of the ether is really hard to pass up.

Last edited:

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
I'm fairly curious as to what everyone's favorite weapon in Fates is. Not including the Amiibo's since their weapon's hail from other games.

Mine is surprisingly the Fujin Yumi. I was certain I was going to pick either Siegfried or Rajinto but a bow with a light string that literally materializes an arrow of light out of the ether is really hard to pass up.
Excalibur is my personal favorite. 1-2 Range, good power for a tomb, no drawbacks to power upon usage, and a high crit rate make it very appealing to me compared to most other S-Rank weapons.

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
*Scrolls up to the post he Liked, and then remembers that he had trained up Hayato to at least LVL 11 before applying a Master Seal on him to reclass him to Basara (unlike Orochi, he DOES have STR, which is now exceeding his MAG, so perhaps this was a good idea??), where he's currently stuck on LVL 1, since EXP gain seems awfully small for Promoted units unless facing enemy Promoted units like Berserkers.....*

I'm getting the strange feeling that I might've "done goofed" in regards to WHEN I should Promote my troops. My 2nd youngest bro's wife advised me to Master Seal them ASAP (as in, when LVL 10 is reached), due to their starting classes not having any more Skills to learn after reaching LVL 10 (Checked Serene's Forest myself, and saw that her advice SEEMS sound to me, given that, for example, a Diviner's last learn-able Skill is Future Sight.), yet they can still level up to LVL 11, presumably all the way to LVL 20, like in the Shining Force series (where waiting until reaching the highest level possible before Promoting anyone was the recommended strategy, last I recall). I've so far used Master Seals on Male!Corrin (was at LVL 10, 1st to Hoshido Noble, then Heart Seal'd him over to Master Ninja for the intent of him learning Lethality at LVL 5, then I'll eventually reclass him back to Hoshido Noble aftewards), Hana (was at LVL 11, now a Swordmaster), Mozu (was at LVL 10, now a Merchant), Orochi (was at LVL 11, now an Onmyoji), Saizo (was at LVL 11, now a Mechanist), and as stated earlier, Hayato (was at LVL 11). Next time I can Streetpass my 2nd youngest bro's wife's 3DS again, I'm planning on buying another Master Seal, intending to Promote LVL 13 Setsuna to Sniper with it.

Thus my questions are these: Is early 10's too soon for using Master Seals on them? If so, should I be using Heart/Partner/Friend Seals for getting them Skills along the way to possibly LVL 20 before Promoting them?

If that IS the case, then at least I'm making these goofs while on Lunatic Modern Birthright, rather than Conquest or Revelations. Plus, I'm still on Lunatic, so if at some point, I'm wanting to throw in the towel on my Lunatic run (probably going to be due to being so understatted from Promoting too many of my troops at too low of levels), then I can lower it to Hard, or if I've REALLY "done goofed," Normal. At most, I'm expecting to go down to Hard eventually, given how much my experience with Advance Wars: Dual Strike & Days of Ruin is finally starting to come in handy here. ;)

By the way, I'm still on my Lunatic Modern run (thanks to making Azura Sing ALL the way to LVL 35, back in Chapter 5 (that's BEFORE the Branches of Fate, so for Revelation (I ONLY went far enough to save at Chapter 7, when I can FINALLY go to My Castle), I can bring her along for the ride~ Though I know not if she'll STILL be LVL 35 when Conquest rolls around....), so she could learn Foreign Princess (which Kana DOES ALSO HAVE, since I shipped Azura with Male!Corrin! 8D), which REALLY helped me survive the opening onslaught of a standoff that was all 4 corners generating 1 Dark Mage each, withOUT having anyone dying on me), but despite my original wish to start off with Conquest, I've actually been going with Birthright so far, at my 2nd youngest bro's wife's insistence for both ease & maximum story/feels impact. Currently right after Chapter 9, but before starting Chapter 10, cleared Paralogue 2 (I has Kana now, who I surely want to use~), and in the middle of Paralogue 3, about to pick off the 3rd to last of the Promoted enemies, thanks to my now LVL 36 Songstress!Azura being my overall tanking queen for drawing out enemies with (and counterattacking anyone within 1 space of her (Javelin's with Hinoka, who I HAVE used to tank the Dark Mages & Sorcerers in the Southern boat, due to her 17 RES~) with QUITE the astounding force, given not only her 19 STR, but also her 34 SPD/Luck & 26 Skill). ;3

I suppose I could ask another question: Would it be a good idea for me to wait until Chapter 18 for using Offspring Seals on Kana & Shigure & any other kids I recruit before then?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

First, I would recommend that Corrin's secondary class is a Mercenary, Paladin, or anything that isn't available in Birthright. With the Heart Seal, you can reclass to these classes that aren't available in Birthright and have your spouse be able to get more skills.
As for who I recommend...

Non-Royals:
-Kaze, and ninjas in general, are among the best units in Birthright. Shurikens have the ability to debuff enemies whenever they hit, even if they do 0 damage. They can also debuff with Poison Touch, which after every turn a ninja activates a battle, the enemy loses a percentage of their health. Ninjas get some nasty skills, like Lethality and Replicate, the latter skill being able to create a copy of the unit. Kaze is a bit of a glass cannon in that his defenses are low, but he is pretty fast and has good skill and luck stats, so he will activate Lethality and get crits pretty often. He also has a good resistance stat, making him a bit of a mage killer (and shurikens are strong against tomes and scrolls). He can be pretty clutch. However, make sure that you reach A-Support with him by Chapter 15.
-Silas is a Paladin, so anyone he marries will gain access to a class they normally wouldn't get. (Paladins are a Nohrian class) He has pretty good defensive and offensive stats, enabling him to deal damage while tanking hits at the same time. He gains access to skills like Aegis and Luna, which help to his stats. Unfortunately, his ability to avoid attacks isn't the best, but he is an all-around good and balanced unit.
-Hana is easily my best unit that wasn't Corrin or a royal in Birthright and Revelation. Her HP and defense stats aren't good, but her other stats are amazing. Her strength, skill, luck, and speed are among some of the best in the game; Hana will avoid attacks like crazy (and with Duelist's Blow, will help), activate offensive skills like Astra often, and get a lot of critical hits. To make Hana an even better unit is to give her skills to alleviate her weaknesses. Corrin married Hana in both my playthroughs and gaining access to the Mercenary classes helps her tremendously; she will be able to gain access to Sol and Good Fortune, which allow her to recover lost HP. Her Heart Seal class is the same one as Sakura's main class and I definitely recommend that you give her Miracle. Her personal skill allows her to confront waves of enemies; if she defeats an enemy, adjacent enemies will lose HP, pretty helpful for ones who Dual Guard. If you have the Sunrise Katana and she's a Swordmaster, then she is one of the best units in the game. Also, she's adorable, which is a massive plus.

There are other good units, like Oboro, Kaden, and Subaki, but these three were the most helpful in my playthroughs.
I would consider Rinkah because, although her growths are kinda mediocre from my experiences, she's the only axe user in Birthright.

Royals:
-Archers were pretty weak in Awakening, but they received massive buffs thanks to the new weapon triangle and the archers you get are decent. One of the best archers in Fates and in the series is Takumi. He will crit enemies like crazy and he is pretty fast, allowing him to dodge attacks and attack twice in a row. This is helped by his exclusive weapon the Fujin Yumi, helps him crit enemies even more. In fact, TvTropes classified Takumi as a Disk One Nuke, but he is useful from beginning to end.
-Ryoma is downright broken. He crits like crazy, can attack up close or afar with his exclusive katana, will dodge enemy attacks and will rarely get hit, and activate skills like Astra pretty often. You get him halfway into the game, but he's still one of the most useful units in the game for how powerful he is. Hell, throwing Ryoma at anything is a pretty viable strategy. I think others can explain it better than I can, but he's one of the best units period.

Hinoka and Sakura are also pretty good units. Hinoka is a strong offensive unit with weak defenses, but it can be alleviated by pairing her with a unit like Silas. Sakura is a good healer, but she's like Lissa in a way where she's good, but you need to put work in to make her good. She's a good mage and bow user regardless of what class she is.

Last edited by a moderator:

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
Yours are not the only eyes he sucks in. I've found him to be good for not much. Also, for some reason, I paired him with Sakura in Revelations, and was treated to one of the dumbest series of support conversations ever. Especially the S-rank one. Regrets.
I looked up their supports online, and yeah, his interaction with Sakura was pretty cringe-worthy. The only memorable part about about it is that it showed Sakura is capable of snapping out in rage despite her shy personality (and for good reason too). I mean, she literally breaks her rod into two!

I paired him with Felicia, and it was surprisingly one set of support conversations where he wasn't a jerk.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I'm sorry for your unfortunate support conversation

Arrei

Smash Lord
It matters less in Birthright, because there's infinite EXP available, but the general rule of thumb is to never promote your units early, outside of specific cases where promoting someone early is of big strategic benefit or something. Even in Birthright, it's still not a very good idea though. Once promoted, a unit is treated as level 21 no matter what level they were before, so they earn much less EXP than if they were still a base class. And skipping levels also means that many fewer rolls of the dice for stat gains, crippling them somewhat, which is a huge detriment in Conquest and older games that had limited EXP. For example, you may be tempted to immediately promote a staff user like Elise immediately, but if you skip 10 levels with her huge magic growth, you're passing up 7-8 potential Mag points and subjecting her more to the whims of RNGesus.

In the post-game, there are Eternal Seals available to endlessly extend level cap so it doesn't matter then, but the price of those seals makes using them in the main game unrealistic.

alguidrag

Smash Ace
My favorite fates weapon is Hagakure, the str debuff hurt me less than I expected, and the+20 of avoid was perfect plus a Dual SwordMaster Kana. She literaly beat the endgame alone with this (And me in a guard because avatar is mandatory)

Acker

Your fate is clear!
NNID
AckerPro
3DS FC
2063-0367-4665
Only 29 days/707 hours/42446 minutes/2546917 seconds left to Fates!

Also, relevant:

Astellius

Smash Ace
Thus my questions are these: Is early 10's too soon for using Master Seals on them? If so, should I be using Heart/Partner/Friend Seals for getting them Skills along the way to possibly LVL 20 before Promoting them?

Basically, if at all possible, level characters up to level 20 before promoting them. If you promote someone at level 10, they are essentially missing out on 10 levels of stat gains, and, moreover, experience will be harder for them to get because now they get the amount of experience a level 21 unit gets, as opposed to the amount they would get at level 10. This really stunts the potential of such characters, and will likely result in them being not all that useful later in the game.

Also, the pre-promote skills aren't usually worth switching classes for. They're not that important. If there are some specific ones you wanted a character to have (such as maybe getting a knight +1 move or a cavalier locktouch), that would be fine, but, otherwise, it's probably better just to wait.

I suppose I could ask another question: Would it be a good idea for me to wait until Chapter 18 for using Offspring Seals on Kana & Shigure & any other kids I recruit before then?
You don't get Offspring Seals until after Ch. 18. Basically, the children are designed to be recruitable at any point in the game, and their levels scale with whatever chapter you're on. They scale 2 levels per chapter. If you recruit them in Ch. 18, they'll be lvl 20 (I think it's Ch. 18 that they're lvl 20); if you do it in Ch. 17, they'll be lvl 18. If you do it in Ch. 19, they come with an offspring seal that, when used, will promote them to a level 2 unit.

Since you've promoted a lot of units already, you'll probably need the children to fill out your army to get you through the later-middle and end parts of the game. So you should get right on that baby-making process! It doesn't exactly matter when you recruit them, just know that those paralogues get harder as the game progresses, and some are especially hard later in the game, because the enemies might kill the kid before you can recruit them.

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871

Aside from the royals, I would say that the ninjas are all pretty good units.
Oboro is also a unit that I would recomend using due to being an amazing lance wielder.
Kaden is also a great unit in my opinion and can defeat mages easily.
Silas is one of the more tanky units in Birthright (and one of the few tanky units in Birthright.) and has access to great skills like Luna and Aegis.
Hana is a pretty good sword user and can put in a lot of work as both a Swordmaster and a Master of Arms.
Scarlet is another tanky unit in Birthright and one of only 2 axe users in Birthright (the other being Rinkah) and also has access to lances and acceses both the skills Rally Defense and Sword Breaker, both of which are great skills. She also has very good mobility.
There are a lot of really good units in the game but those are the were great for me in Birthright.

As for the Royals, they are all pretty good to be honest.
Sakura is great healer, has access to pretty good skills like Miracle and Renewal, and is pretty good no matter which option you promote her to.
Hinoka can be a great Pegasus Knight. She doesn't have that strong defense, but she starts off with the only Guard Naginata for a while and it helps her low defense.
Takumi is an amazing unit in general. As people above have said, Takumi is one of the best archers in the series for many reasons. One of which is the Fujin Yumi, his personal weapon. He also will be hitting and criting a lot if you make him a Siper.
Ryoma is also amazing. His Rajinto can hit from 1-2 spaces away without any downsides, he will be dodging a lot, criting a lot, activating skills like Astra a lot, and will almost always double. His personal skill is also really good. His only real downside are his defenses.

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
Guys. its been 26 years

On that faithful day, the Fire Emblem series was born into this world. Since Fire Emblem is my favorite video game series to have ever existed, i will share my thoughts on each of the 14 Fire Emblem games that have been released. This will be a long post so each game will be under a spoiler tag to keep everything organized.
The game that started it all. And this game didn't just start the Fire Emblem series. It started the entire Strategy RPG genre. While this game is pretty primitive now, back then, it was revolutionary. No one had ever seen a turn-based strategy game like this before. But it didn't stop there. People were amazed to learn that this is a game where every decision counts. If a unit dies, they are dead for good. This kind of mechanic had never been seen before in other JRPGs. Now fun fact: this came probably would have been released outside of Japan. However due to the low initial sales and the fact that the first Final Fantasy game in the West also had low initial sales, Fire Emblem was kept as a Japan-Exclusive title. Note: i haven't technically played this game but i did play the FE3 and FE11 versions
The second game in the series, Fire Emblem Gaiden, is actually one of the most unique Fire Emblem games out there. While it still kept the basic formula of the first game (Turn-based strategy, perma-death) there were a lot of changes made here that wouldn't be see again for more than a decade (and 2 particular features that haven't returned yet). This game marked the first appearance of the world map. Thanks to this addition, players are able to grind for level ups, although supports still haven't introduced though there is something similar: Alm and Celica get more crits when near each other. A new addition was being able to walk around freely in certain areas. This mechanic wouldn't be seen again until 23 years later, when Fire Emblem Fates brought it back via My Castle. The world map, on the other hand, made its return 12 years later, with the release of The Sacred Stones. Magic in this game was completely reworked. In theory, you had unlimited uses. However, there were no Tomes or Staffs in this game. Instead, both offensive and defensive magic was learned via level ups, like in a traditional JRPG. This game is one of two games in the series, the other being Fates, to not feature weapon durability. This game also features one of my top 5 favorite Lords: Celica. She was the OG magic-sword user. My favorite mechanic in this game has to be the dual control. Starting in Ch.3, you get to control both Alm and Celica on different parts of the world map. Its a really unique mechanic that hasn't been used since, even in temporary splits such as Sacred Stones. Gaiden is the most undrerrated Fire Emblem game and i definitely suggest you play this one.
The 3rd game in the series, Mystery of the Emblem, was released on the SNES in 1994. This game was actually 2 in 1. The first part of the game was a remake of Shadow Dragon and Blade of Light, albeit, some chapters and characters were removed for space issues. The 2nd part is the "Mystery of the Emblem". When people refer to FE3, they're usually talking about this part. This game introduced the first real form of the Support system, known as Bond Supports. Chracaters that have a set relationship, such as Marth and Caeda, will receive small boosts when near each other. This game is one of my favorites in the series, and i also suggest you play it, whether it be this version, or the remake on the DS.
The 4th game in the series, Genealogy of the Holy War, introduced one of the most important mechanics in Fire Emblem: The Weapon Triangle. This game also marked the debut of the Swordmaster class, as well as the first feamle to use only swords: Ayra. This game had a lot of good in it: the plot, the music, the characters and the OG S-Supports. However, this game, along with Thracia, are actually my least favorite in the series. What Genealogy did right, it did it amazing. But there were a lot of problems i had with this game:
Cons
-Minimum promotion level is 20 and i'm really impatient when it comes to level ups (this is a personal thing, i know)
-Level does not reset upon promoting and the level cap is 30
-The level system also renders Corpul useless as he joins when the game is practically over as a lv.1 Priest.
-Healing items such as Elixers don't exist.
-Maps are huge (i know what they were going for but the prolouge does not need to be the size of Bionis' Leg)
-Trading has been replaced with something else: the Pawn Shop. Basically, if you want to trade a weapon or staff, you can't do it directly. You have to go to your home castle, go to the Pawn Shop, sell the weapon, and then have the other character buy it back. Because you know, Trading didn't work so well.
-The Love System, while good, was really vague when it came to telling you how close two characters were.
-A quarter of Ch.7's map is a desert.
-Nearly impossible to save villages since bandits start out either next to them, or on them.
-Great Shield activates too often which makes fighting Generals a pain in the ***.
-Why can enemies switch weapons during Player Phase?
-Mounted units are broken, as they basically had Galeforce before Galeforce existed. And this made fighting a squad of cavaliers, pegasus knights, etc a pain since they would take turns stabbing you to death.
Sorry about this rant but i did say i'd be giving my thoughts on each game. FE4 is still an amazing game, and if you can get past the problems i listed, you'll enjoy it way more than i did.
The 5th game in the series, Thracia 776. Ok, so i actually haven't played this game a whole lot but all i can say is: Fatigue can go **** itself and Leif is worst lord. Its probably a good game, but i'm only on ch.3 because sending in units is so risky because you don't want them to get fatigued. This is definitely the most stressful game in the series. Also, healing staffs can miss for some reason.
The 6th game in the series, and my 2nd favorite Fire Emblem game, The Binding Blade. This game is one of the reasons why i main Roy in Smash 4. Despite all the mixed opinions of this game, i found it to be very enjoyable and way better than the Jugdral games. Contrary to popular belief, Roy is actually not the worst Lord. He's decent but the problem is RNG. RNG hates the player which why 15% hit-rates hit more often than they should. This game also has some of my favorite characters: Roy, Lilina, Sophia, Rutger, Dieck, Percival, and Idden. Also, this game has one pf the best shippings: Roy x Lilina. Also, this is relevant
The 7th game in the series, the first to release outside of Japan, and the 2nd Fire Emblem game i played (the first was Awakening). This game showed me what Classic FE was all about. Like Binding Blade, this game has some of my favorite characters: Eliwwod, Lyn, Hector, Ninian, Rath, Pent, Canas, Nils, Priscilla, and more. This game also showed me that playable units can have story-related deaths, even if its rare. Also, this game also has one of my favorite ships: Eliwood x Ninian, and Hector x Florina (is it me or did Elibe have really good ships)
The 8th game in the series, Sacred Stones. This game is great and in my opinion, is how future Fire Emblems should be done. Sacred Stones has one of the top 3 best OSTs in the series and Ephraim and Eirika are amazing. Lyon also happens to be my favorite antagonist in the series. Definitely play this one.

Ok, i know these games are amazing but i haven't had the chance to play them. So if anyone can point me to a GameCube/Wii Emulator, then i should be able to play these. So for now, We Like Ike and Sothe x Micaiah is an amazing ship.
My very first Fire Emblem game. This game introduced me into the amazing world of Fire Emblem. I fell in love with so many of the characters, as they are so likeable. I remember Nowi being the first character i married because dragons and i was surprised to find out that child units existed. I played on Casual because i sucked at Classic at the time and i remember having trouble with the Conquest of Valm arc. But despite 14 year old me sucking at the game, i still enjoyed it a lot and Pokemon probably would've still been my favorite series had i not played this.
And here we have the latest game in the series, Fire Emblem Fates. This is actually my favorite Fire Emblem game so far. You can really see how far they've come. This game introduced so many new things including a brand new weapon type. Nohr/Hoshido Nobles,Master Ninjas, Malig Knights and Kinshi Knights are some of the most unique classes ever introduced and this game gets the award for best OST in the series. I feel that the 3 paths thing was done right, and like Awakening, this game has so many likable characters. Some of my favorites are Azura, Soleil, Leo, Takumi, Elise and Shiro. The final boss of Revelation is probably the most unique FE boss out there. Pretty much everybody here is playing Fates and i think we can all agree its an amazing game. Also, Corrin x Azura is one of my favorite ships in the series.
And those are my thoughts on each game. Now i want to hear from you. What are your thoughts on each game? Any favorite moments? Feel free to share.

Today is a very special day for Fire Emblem. And Together, We Ride to the next Fire Emblem game.

Note: If your wondering why i didn't put FE11 and FE12, that's because they are remakes.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Guys. its been 26 years

On that faithful day, the Fire Emblem series was born into this world. Since Fire Emblem is my favorite video game series to have ever existed, i will share my thoughts on each of the 14 Fire Emblem games that have been released. This will be a long post so each game will be under a spoiler tag to keep everything organized.
The game that started it all. And this game didn't just start the Fire Emblem series. It started the entire Strategy RPG genre. While this game is pretty primitive now, back then, it was revolutionary. No one had ever seen a turn-based strategy game like this before. But it didn't stop there. People were amazed to learn that this is a game where every decision counts. If a unit dies, they are dead for good. This kind of mechanic had never been seen before in other JRPGs. Now fun fact: this came probably would have been released outside of Japan. However due to the low initial sales and the fact that the first Final Fantasy game in the West also had low initial sales, Fire Emblem was kept as a Japan-Exclusive title. Note: i haven't technically played this game but i did play the FE3 and FE11 versions
The second game in the series, Fire Emblem Gaiden, is actually one of the most unique Fire Emblem games out there. While it still kept the basic formula of the first game (Turn-based strategy, perma-death) there were a lot of changes made here that wouldn't be see again for more than a decade (and 2 particular features that haven't returned yet). This game marked the first appearance of the world map. Thanks to this addition, players are able to grind for level ups, although supports still haven't introduced though there is something similar: Alm and Celica get more crits when near each other. A new addition was being able to walk around freely in certain areas. This mechanic wouldn't be seen again until 23 years later, when Fire Emblem Fates brought it back via My Castle. The world map, on the other hand, made its return 12 years later, with the release of The Sacred Stones. Magic in this game was completely reworked. In theory, you had unlimited uses. However, there were no Tomes or Staffs in this game. Instead, both offensive and defensive magic was learned via level ups, like in a traditional JRPG. This game is one of two games in the series, the other being Fates, to not feature weapon durability. This game also features one of my top 5 favorite Lords: Celica. She was the OG magic-sword user. My favorite mechanic in this game has to be the dual control. Starting in Ch.3, you get to control both Alm and Celica on different parts of the world map. Its a really unique mechanic that hasn't been used since, even in temporary splits such as Sacred Stones. Gaiden is the most undrerrated Fire Emblem game and i definitely suggest you play this one.
The 3rd game in the series, Mystery of the Emblem, was released on the SNES in 1994. This game was actually 2 in 1. The first part of the game was a remake of Shadow Dragon and Blade of Light, albeit, some chapters and characters were removed for space issues. The 2nd part is the "Mystery of the Emblem". When people refer to FE3, they're usually talking about this part. This game introduced the first real form of the Support system, known as Bond Supports. Chracaters that have a set relationship, such as Marth and Caeda, will receive small boosts when near each other. This game is one of my favorites in the series, and i also suggest you play it, whether it be this version, or the remake on the DS.
The 4th game in the series, Genealogy of the Holy War, introduced one of the most important mechanics in Fire Emblem: The Weapon Triangle. This game also marked the debut of the Swordmaster class, as well as the first feamle to use only swords: Ayra. This game had a lot of good in it: the plot, the music, the characters and the OG S-Supports. However, this game, along with Thracia, are actually my least favorite in the series. What Genealogy did right, it did it amazing. But there were a lot of problems i had with this game:
Cons
-Minimum promotion level is 20 and i'm really impatient when it comes to level ups (this is a personal thing, i know)
-Level does not reset upon promoting and the level cap is 30
-The level system also renders Corpul useless as he joins when the game is practically over as a lv.1 Priest.
-Healing items such as Elixers don't exist.
-Maps are huge (i know what they were going for but the prolouge does not need to be the size of Bionis' Leg)
-Trading has been replaced with something else: the Pawn Shop. Basically, if you want to trade a weapon or staff, you can't do it directly. You have to go to your home castle, go to the Pawn Shop, sell the weapon, and then have the other character buy it back. Because you know, Trading didn't work so well.
-The Love System, while good, was really vague when it came to telling you how close two characters were.
-A quarter of Ch.7's map is a desert.
-Nearly impossible to save villages since bandits start out either next to them, or on them.
-Great Shield activates too often which makes fighting Generals a pain in the ***.
-Why can enemies switch weapons during Player Phase?
-Mounted units are broken, as they basically had Galeforce before Galeforce existed. And this made fighting a squad of cavaliers, pegasus knights, etc a pain since they would take turns stabbing you to death.
Sorry about this rant but i did say i'd be giving my thoughts on each game. FE4 is still an amazing game, and if you can get past the problems i listed, you'll enjoy it way more than i did.
The 5th game in the series, Thracia 776. Ok, so i actually haven't played this game a whole lot but all i can say is: Fatigue can go **** itself and Leif is worst lord. Its probably a good game, but i'm only on ch.3 because sending in units is so risky because you don't want them to get fatigued. This is definitely the most stressful game in the series. Also, healing staffs can miss for some reason.
The 6th game in the series, and my 2nd favorite Fire Emblem game, The Binding Blade. This game is one of the reasons why i main Roy in Smash 4. Despite all the mixed opinions of this game, i found it to be very enjoyable and way better than the Jugdral games. Contrary to popular belief, Roy is actually not the worst Lord. He's decent but the problem is RNG. RNG hates the player which why 15% hit-rates hit more often than they should. This game also has some of my favorite characters: Roy, Lilina, Sophia, Rutger, Dieck, Percival, and Idden. Also, this game has one pf the best shippings: Roy x Lilina. Also, this is relevant
The 7th game in the series, the first to release outside of Japan, and the 2nd Fire Emblem game i played (the first was Awakening). This game showed me what Classic FE was all about. Like Binding Blade, this game has some of my favorite characters: Eliwwod, Lyn, Hector, Ninian, Rath, Pent, Canas, Nils, Priscilla, and more. This game also showed me that playable units can have story-related deaths, even if its rare. Also, this game also has one of my favorite ships: Eliwood x Ninian, and Hector x Florina (is it me or did Elibe have really good ships)
The 8th game in the series, Sacred Stones. This game is great and in my opinion, is how future Fire Emblems should be done. Sacred Stones has one of the top 3 best OSTs in the series and Ephraim and Eirika are amazing. Lyon also happens to be my favorite antagonist in the series. Definitely play this one.

Ok, i know these games are amazing but i haven't had the chance to play them. So if anyone can point me to a GameCube/Wii Emulator, then i should be able to play these. So for now, We Like Ike and Sothe x Micaiah is an amazing ship.
My very first Fire Emblem game. This game introduced me into the amazing world of Fire Emblem. I fell in love with so many of the characters, as they are so likeable. I remember Nowi being the first character i married because dragons and i was surprised to find out that child units existed. I played on Casual because i sucked at Classic at the time and i remember having trouble with the Conquest of Valm arc. But despite 14 year old me sucking at the game, i still enjoyed it a lot and Pokemon probably would've still been my favorite series had i not played this.
And here we have the latest game in the series, Fire Emblem Fates. This is actually my favorite Fire Emblem game so far. You can really see how far they've come. This game introduced so many new things including a brand new weapon type. Nohr/Hoshido Nobles,Master Ninjas, Malig Knights and Kinshi Knights are some of the most unique classes ever introduced and this game gets the award for best OST in the series. I feel that the 3 paths thing was done right, and like Awakening, this game has so many likable characters. Some of my favorites are Azura, Soleil, Leo, Takumi, Elise and Shiro. The final boss of Revelation is probably the most unique FE boss out there. Pretty much everybody here is playing Fates and i think we can all agree its an amazing game. Also, Corrin x Azura is one of my favorite ships in the series.
And those are my thoughts on each game. Now i want to hear from you. What are your thoughts on each game? Any favorite moments? Feel free to share.

Today is a very special day for Fire Emblem. And Together, We Ride to the next Fire Emblem game.

Note: If your wondering why i didn't put FE11 and FE12, that's because they are remakes.
CELEBRATION SQUAD!

alguidrag

Smash Ace
Where did You find a english patched room of Gaiden?

I've played PoR in Dolphin emulator, but RD almost killed my pc

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
Basically, if at all possible, level characters up to level 20 before promoting them. If you promote someone at level 10, they are essentially missing out on 10 levels of stat gains, and, moreover, experience will be harder for them to get because now they get the amount of experience a level 21 unit gets, as opposed to the amount they would get at level 10. This really stunts the potential of such characters, and will likely result in them being not all that useful later in the game.
So the thing about me is that, i know that waiting until lv.20 to promote is the best way to go. But i'm very impatient when it comes to level ups in any game. So, in Fire Emblem, i always promote a character as soon as i get the chance though this was harder to do in Classic FEs since promotion items were rare (I think FE7 only had 2 Elysian Whips not counting Secret Shops). Although i speak from experience when i say this: promoting before lv.20 doesn't hurt you that much. I still think waiting until lv.20 is better but my impatient nature says no.

atreyujames

The Laziest Man in the North
NNID
Atreyujames

I love the Bolt Axe. Such a fun weapon, and is great with Malig Knights. That or Kaze's Needle.

Astellius

Smash Ace
So the thing about me is that, i know that waiting until lv.20 to promote is the best way to go. But i'm very impatient when it comes to level ups in any game. So, in Fire Emblem, i always promote a character as soon as i get the chance though this was harder to do in Classic FEs since promotion items were rare (I think FE7 only had 2 Elysian Whips not counting Secret Shops). Although i speak from experience when i say this: promoting before lv.20 doesn't hurt you that much. I still think waiting until lv.20 is better but my impatient nature says no.
Well, we were talking about a Lunatic run, and also, about promoting in the early teens range of levels. If you promote someone at level 10, they're going to be incredibly stunted later on. That WILL definitely hurt you. Basically, if you promote them very early on, don't expect them to be useful later in the game. Replace them with a child unit or a later recruit.

When promoting, how many levels of stat boosts are you willing to give up? For say, Orochi, she wears out her usefulness kinda early on because of her low spd, def, and hp. She's not someone you're likely to take to the endgame with. Promoting her early might extend her usefulness while you train a replacement for her (such as Sakura). Stunting her growth doesn't matter too much because you won't be using her later in the game.

You don't *need* to wait until level 20, but aim to get at least somewhere close. If you don't get them at least close to 20, you'll probably need characters to replace them. However, this game provides them--i.e., the children. So go out and make some babies, as you'll need your babies to win the war.

Acker

Your fate is clear!
NNID
AckerPro
3DS FC
2063-0367-4665
I was bored so I was thinking about some characters builds to make when I have the game, and a question jumped in my mind...

Can I buy a skill that cannot be always learned by a character?
For example, if I marry Felicia with Leo she gets the Dark Mage class tree and therefore she can't get the Knight class tree which has Pavise that I want. Can I buy Pavise in this case or I need to marry her to a character who can pass to her the Knight class tree?

Armagon

Smash Lord
NNID
Armagon1000
3DS FC
3131-6899-8999
I was bored so I was thinking about some characters builds to make when I have the game, and a question jumped in my mind...

Can I buy a skill that cannot be always learned by a character?
For example, if I marry Felicia with Leo she gets the Dark Mage class tree and therefore she can't get the Knight class tree which has Pavise that I want. Can I buy Pavise in this case or I need to marry her to a character who can pass to her the Knight class tree?
Yes. You can buy any skill. Even hacked ones such as a Felicia having Aptitude. The only skills you can't buy are DLC skills such as Warp or Aether.

Top Bottom