• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Corrin in 1.1.5

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal
i'm not sure if this was a combo in the last patch, but it's not in the combo thread so imma say it anyway. weak hit of nair combos into Uair at kill percent (kills at about 100-110 percent, combos even earlier) for an easy kill set up. I can't provide a video rn but if someone else wants to try it our go ahead.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
People look at these nerfs wrong.

For aerial Corrin play-styles it took 4 decent strings of 3 hits(fair/nair/uair) to kill an opponent previously. It now takes 6 decent strings with the killing power of uair and the a total 9-12% reduction in damage over the course of an opponent's stock.

People regularly don't understand the full implications of a 1% change to a single move, let alone a 1% change to the main aerial combos a character has.

Those of you with play-styles that focus on her aerials, you've been hit very hard. Those of you with play-styles that utilise IP punishes more, you've not been touched. If you previously relied on her aerials a lot, you're going to find things much much harder.

My honest opinion here, this has made Corrin a more defensive character. Previously she could rush down pretty well and apply enormous pressure, now she has to be reactionary and can't chase opponents with the same pressure. That movement speed change is pretty significant for her ability to keep opponents heavily pressured, now her chase doesn't have the same fear factor it did.

Her anti air also greatly benefitted from her walk speed, which allowed her to stay under opponents and abuse uair>nair frametraps to never allow characters like Captain Falcon to get back to ground. This is no longer the case, even a character like him can move far enough horizontally for Corrin to no longer be able to play the juggle game she previously had. All the top 15 competitive characters? Corrin doesn't threaten them any more like she could.

There's a lot of optimism going on in here, a lot of it sounds like FG talk to be honest. This has hit competitive Corrin really hard. These are hard hitting changes that have changed a significant number of matchups.

My prediction? She becomes a less interesting character now. Where we were previously seeing a different style from every competitive Corrin we're going to see everything revolve around IP/DL, the most reliable tool in her kit.

This was definitely an overreaction to the crying about Corrin. My guess is that the new "pay2win" mantra that only started after the last DLC was a particularly scary thing for them to hear internally so they've hit hard to try and stop that.
You have a few decent points, but I ultimately disagree with your assessment. For one, it's a bit of a stretch to say that her movement speed nerf significantly hinders her pressure considering its a relatively minor drop. Relative is the key word because she's barely slower. No really, I personally compared her old and new run speed, and it was barely noticeable. She won't be winning foot races against Ike anytime soon, but she should still handle like she used to. Same deal with her walk.

Secondly, Corrin has always been a defensive and opportunistic character. Literally her most common action was jump since it opened up so many options for her. She just wasn't a character who did that much actual running to begin with. This hasn't changed with the patch.

And finally, you're definitely jumping to conclusions. It's better to wait and see how things play out. If players start dropping Corrin in droves then i'll consider your points. Until then, we wait.

Last edited:

Meta651

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meta651
i'm not sure if this was a combo in the last patch, but it's not in the combo thread so imma say it anyway. weak hit of nair combos into Uair at kill percent (kills at about 100-110 percent, combos even earlier) for an easy kill set up. I can't provide a video rn but if someone else wants to try it our go ahead.
I got that to work against Falcon and MK in FD, going to keep testing. Also I'm doing a FF Nair -> DJ Uair

Edit: So I think this works with the sweetspot Nair and kills kinda earlier (like 1 or 2 %) but it's timing is a little precise, but with the weak hit is easier to combo.

Last edited:

CanErick

Smash Rookie
NNID
CanErick
For everybody freaking out about the movement speed nerf, I got a friend of mine to capture the pre and post patch movement speeds (thanks Adam.)

Calling the nerf insignificant is an understatement. Quit worrying, people.

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
I'm surprised that anyone here is upset at all. The worst thing about Corrin's nerf is just the fact that he was nerfed; no significant part of his kit was hit hard. If you want to hear about real nerfs, go ask a Greninja, Diddy, Luigi, or Sheik. Ain't so pretty.

Zephil

Smash Ace
Guys relax,

The nerfs are frustrating but there is no way it can affect Corrin's future in the competitive scene.

First of all, there are some nerfs that can be considered buffs so we still have to lab more if there is new potential from the new fair and nair. The walking speed nerf is anoying but with the reach of Corrin, there is still many ways to keep preassure maintain a safe space from the opponent. Counter surge still is great to punish moves telegraphed and still has great kill potential because of the launch angle and range.

The other thing is that the patch also nerfed some of the other bad matchups we had so thats a plus for us too as their nerfs can be more painful than us. Probably MK mains are murt hurt with just the uair nerf than us with all the nerfs we got.

So keep cool guys and lets continue developing Corrin, there is no doubt our girl (screw boy Corrin lol) still have lots of potential.

Dark Dire Wolf

Smash Journeyman
Does fair to uair kill confirm really work? Whenever I fair the opponent is knocked way too far back to get a uair confirm.

Also, it looks like we can now SH FF fair>fair where before we had to FH.

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal
I got that to work against Falcon and MK in FD, going to keep testing. Also I'm doing a FF Nair -> DJ Uair

Edit: So I think this works with the sweetspot Nair and kills kinda earlier (like 1 or 2 %) but it's timing is a little precise, but with the weak hit is easier to combo.
Does it kill at the percents it combos with the sweetspot?

Meta651

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meta651
Does it kill at the percents it combos with the sweetspot?
Yeah I managed to kill with them but is easier to follow the combo with the sour, besides with the sour you can kill til higher %

Last edited:

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal
Yeah I managed to kill with them but is easier to follow the combo with teh sour, besides with the sour you can kill til higher %
do u know what percent the strong arm gets the kill?

Meta651

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meta651
do u know what percent the strong arm gets the kill?
Kinda but depends on the character really, the rule of thumb could be like 105% I think? Tomorrow I'm going to do some more testing.

ThePuffDaddy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
flashman69
After playing nerfed Corrin a lot today I'd say that she has not been brought down much at all. Biggest difference I'd say that was immediately noticeable is that netting stocks with up airs is more difficult. Counter, while not as ridiculous, will still kill at low percents. Aerials also don't feel really any noticeably less safe to me. And the speed nerf is nothing to worry about either from my experiences.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
After playing nerfed Corrin a lot today I'd say that she has not been brought down much at all. Biggest difference I'd say that was immediately noticeable is that netting stocks with up airs is more difficult. Counter, while not as ridiculous, will still kill at low percents. Aerials also don't feel really any noticeably less safe to me. And the speed nerf is nothing to worry about either from my experiences.
^This. After playing around with Corrin some more, our dragon lady (Or lord, for MCorrin players. :p ) doesn't really FEEL nerfed. The nerfs are there, but they honestly feel more like a minor inconvenience, if anything. We'll live.

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
^This. After playing around with Corrin some more, our dragon lady (Or lord, for MCorrin players. :p ) doesn't really FEEL nerfed. The nerfs are there, but they honestly feel more like a minor inconvenience, if anything. We'll live.
Are there people who use male Corrin? I don't think they exist. I suppose it's possible, but it's basically impossible.

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
So, I heard that Corrin got hit pretty hard with the nerf hammer. I don't play Corrin and I was wondering did it completely ruin Corrin? Did it affect him/her real bad where they possibly won't be used in competive play like what happened with Roy over the Summer?

Dark Dire Wolf

Smash Journeyman

What exactly is weak hit nair? The far end of the sword?

Zephil

Smash Ace
OK its official, in this forum Corrin is only she...

I am starting to like the new fair, I can string better my fairs to footstool combos.

We have so many kill options that I am not worried about the uair nerf, anyways we still have our other super strong but underrated bair. Seriously that move is amazing! I think I have always killed more with it than uair and people always don't expect it.

Hero_2_All

Smash Apprentice
So, I heard that Corrin got hit pretty hard with the nerf hammer. I don't play Corrin and I was wondering did it completely ruin Corrin? Did it affect him/her real bad where they possibly won't be used in competive play like what happened with Roy over the Summer?
Not at all, the community had a knee jerk reaction to seeing all the changes and not stopping to think how they would actually effect Corrin. Corrin mains are realizing after a day that shes either slightly worse or better after this patch (this is being argued atm, only time will tell), either way it's not by a large margin. The small near unnoticeable nerfs come in move speed (2% change), counter (no one at higher lvl used this much), DFS (2% damage nerf to full charged shot, everything else is the same and we still have our dfs kill confirms) and rolls (3 frames more punish). Up air is the biggest nerf that will effect her (kills 10% or so later). The reason up air was nerfed was to balance the buffs to f air and n air corrin got this patch ( they now string even better into themselves (due to lower knock back) and other things like nuetral b with a loss of only 1% dmg and 1 frame hit stun, shield stun is the same). Really it feels more like a tweak to corrin being more combo heavy and less bursty and cheesy.

WondrousMoose

Mind the antlers
NNID
WondrousMoose
3DS FC
3024-5909-8345
Corrin had a very, very light nerfing. No need to worry.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
spear late portion of the n air is the sour
Not quite. "Sweetspot" is the first two frames of NAir(Which also cover Corrin's body); the "sour" is basically every hitbox frame afterward(8-19). NAir doesn't use a tipper system, believe it or now.

Hero_2_All

Smash Apprentice
Not quite. "Sweetspot" is the first two frames of NAir(Which also cover Corrin's body); the "sour" is basically every hitbox frame afterward(8-19). NAir doesn't use a tipper system, believe it or now.
huh I thought those sour frames were in time with the spear movement and thats why back sours aswell cus thats were the spear starts. huh

Last edited:

Dark Dire Wolf

Smash Journeyman
How do you guys get to the opponent in time at 100+% to follow up as a true combo. I can't seem to do such at kill percents. I think I'm buffering too now.

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
For everybody freaking out about the movement speed nerf, I got a friend of mine to capture the pre and post patch movement speeds (thanks Adam.)

Calling the nerf insignificant is an understatement. Quit worrying, people.
Thanks a lot for doing this.

But yeah, it's like I said, the nerf to movement was essentially inconsequential.

The response to this character's nerfs have been way overblown.

Last edited:

Astro986

Smash Apprentice
This is a knee-jerk reaction. Fair and Nair changes are buffs if anything. Her combo game is noticeably better now and a better combo game absolutely makes up for a tiny damage reduction. Your overall damage output is higher. And apparently their shield safety wasn't reduced either.

Also Uair didn't change too much. I was testing D-tilt -> Uair and it kills at almost the exact same percents.

Mobility changes aren't even noticeable. At least running isn't. Walking feels about the same too. I'm not denying that it was nerfed but it's nothing major. Also air speed, initial dash, and dash to shield are all the same.

Also Fair/Nair to DFS is so easy now and the percent window to do it is bigger too.
What about the hitboxes? Are they bigger?

JediLink

Smash Ace
I really don't think the damage nerfs were intended to make her better at comboing. If that's what they wanted, they would have just lowered the knockback growth, which is what they've done for other moves in the past. Considering how much other stuff got nerfed I think they actually thought Corrin was too powerful.

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
Male Corrin here, I find him better fitting the 'Corrin' personage and I prefer playing with my own gender when given the choice.

The changes to Corrin don't feel to sever in my opinion. The first thought I had was the potential of fair into DFS kill setups might be easier now. Even though there's a lot of criticsm in the thread I really like that a lot of people are concern about our character and where he/she will go.

Astellius

Smash Ace
Male Corrin here, I find him better fitting the 'Corrin' personage and I prefer playing with my own gender when given the choice.
You've made your choice, but your fate is clear... You shall be destroyed. You ready for this?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Guys relax,

The nerfs are frustrating but there is no way it can affect Corrin's future in the competitive scene.

First of all, there are some nerfs that can be considered buffs so we still have to lab more if there is new potential from the new fair and nair. The walking speed nerf is anoying but with the reach of Corrin, there is still many ways to keep preassure maintain a safe space from the opponent. Counter surge still is great to punish moves telegraphed and still has great kill potential because of the launch angle and range.

The other thing is that the patch also nerfed some of the other bad matchups we had so thats a plus for us too as their nerfs can be more painful than us. Probably MK mains are murt hurt with just the uair nerf than us with all the nerfs we got.

So keep cool guys and lets continue developing Corrin, there is no doubt our girl (screw boy Corrin lol) still have lots of potential.
The one thing that will still frustrate some people is how Corrin now runs slower than Marth's (and Lucina's) walk speed. If you run slower than Marth's (Lucina's) walking, then your running speed is considered to be below average.

And out of curiosity, why the hate on male Corrin?

Astro986

Smash Apprentice
IMO, Corrin is alot more versatile than he/she was. But, like everyone else, I don't know why their ground speed was reduced.

The one thing that will still frustrate some people is how Corrin now runs slower than Marth's (and Lucina's) walk speed. If you run slower than Marth's (Lucina's) walking, then your running speed is considered to be below average.

Dude Male Corrin is pretty sick. I hate Male Robin in this game

Last edited by a moderator:

Green Zelda

Smash Journeyman

"IIII WIIN!"
And his voice is just annoying in general.

Last edited:

Nah

Smash Champion
It IS below average though. There's 58 characters in the game, so anything below 29th is literally below average. Her run speed was in the 38-43 range pre-patch, so....

People are ****ing weird

it's like that a bit too in the Robin community

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say it's because the majority of gamers are still (heterosexual) males, which then tends to mean that they are attracted to the female version of the character and then eventually consider the character to be their waifu and that's why they play that version of the character (this is a bit of an oversimplification, obviously not all male players are like that and not all female players are the same way but with male Corrin, and there's other reasons to like either one). I imagine it's particularly prevalent with Fire Emblem characters (or Robin/Lucina/Corrin at least) because it's Waifu Simulator Fire Emblem. Which is fine, but most people who have a waifu/husbando tend to feel kinda strongly about it and strong feelings often lead to conflict. And when the majority of people happen to play FCorrin it sort of cements the idea of the "femCorn master race".

Obviously not all people are like that, but there's enough people that way that'll make you ask the question "why the hate on male Corrin?". For some people they don't really hate the male character, but they just like saying it as a joke.

Personally I refer to Corrin and Robin solely via feminine pronouns because I only play as female Robin/Corrin, but that's simply because I've almost always preferred to play as female in games. I've never really felt the sort of attraction other people seem to feel towards characters (yes, even Nah).

also just sayin', using :4corrin: lines as a reason is a pretty weak one since :4corrinf: lines are equally bad

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It IS below average though. There's 58 characters in the game, so anything below 29th is literally below average. Her run speed was in the 38-43 range pre-patch, so....
In terms of rankings alone, you are right. And since Corrin's air speed is set to 1, his air speed is ranked below average when compared to the rest of the cast.

If rankings are not taken into account though, then the following values would be considered average...

Walk Speed: 1
Air Speed: 1
Run Speed: 1.5

But since more than half of the roster has speed values that are greater than 1 (1.5 for run speed), then those values will be considered below average in the rankings department.

Last edited:
Top Bottom