• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Controller Configuration

Basics

Smash Rookie
Hi, I'm very new to SSB; I've been playing for about a month, and not regularly whatsoever, but I've been working pretty hard at improving. I play a handful of characters, but Wario is, if not my best, certainly my favourite (maybe after Luigi... maybe). I was just wondering what control configurations people use while playing Wario. I'm sure that the vast majority of it comes down to personal preference - I'm just interested in seeing the differences in personal preference among the Wario community.

I don't know if this should be posted in the Q&A thread, but I figured it's unique enough, and capable of providing enough stimulus for discussion that it could have its own thread. If I'm wrong, feel free to let me know :). As for my controls:

Tap Jump OFF
A: Attack
B: Special
X: Throw
Y: Jump
D-Pad: Taunts
C-Stick: Attack
Z: Attack
R: Shield
L: Jump

Explanation:
Okay, well first I figured that I would change the duplicate controls I didn't need - I never used tap jump, or X for jump, and I never used L for Shield. Having a jump bound to one of the triggers is useful as it allows me to use a different hand for the jump as an attack. I find I don't really use this with Wario much (perhaps not as much as I should?) It's primarily used for Falco's Instant Air Illusion. I then set X to throw. I play Dedede and Falco as well, and both those characters have great chain grabs, and I just find them easier to execute with Throw mapped to X instead of Z. This frees up Z for something, and to me, Attack was the natural choice - again, so I have a way of attacking separate from my right thumb - I use it primarily for DAC pivot grabs/Bites.

I think all that stuff pretty much comes down to personal preference, but I like the system I've got set up. The C-Stick, I think, is really where the question comes in. I elected for the T-Sticking setup originally because I had trouble reliably performing Tilts (lol), but afterwards I just found it better - especially for Wario. Several of its applications come in handy for him:

1) Being able to Dair without fastfalling. I don't know if I'm the only one who has problems Dairing without fastfalling using the regular control scheme, but for characters like Wario and Dedede it's really important - I can always add a fast fall manually, and although that has its downsides as well (loss of DI control when momentum cancelling, primarily) I just find that the benefits seem to outweigh the cost.

2) Being able to Nair without sacrificing aerial control. This one I don't find quite as important, but it's definitely a useful ability for someone like Wario to have, since his Nair is one of his most useful attacks, and his aerial control is off the ****ing chain.

3) Instant Dash Attack/DACUS - Slightly better than non-instant Dash Attack/DACUS?

My main question is really about the C-Stick setting. What are the comparative advantages of setting it to Smash, or even Special?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
You can dair without fastfalling if you hold down and then hit the c-stick.

I only really take tap jump off b/c I'm just to the regular control scheme. Wario's B moves are good but we don't need to spam/abuse them (our up b should be used very rarely, down be gets about 8 uses per game, regular B is great, but not in every matchup, and side b is mostly only used to recover or edgeguard), so b-sticking isn't really necessary for us compared to say, Marth or Lucas. Having it set to smash allows us to do the fastest possible smash attacks as well as give us full control over every non-nair aerial. I can see people setting buttons they don't use to other things if they feel it is easier, but I have no real issues with the defaults + tap jump off.

MorphedChaos

Smash Lord
Basic controls. Cstick with smashing is great if you have tap jump on as you can use the control stick for DI, and the Cstick for attacking. I have X to grab just in case I forget to hit the shoulder button, but I rarely use it. (Its from my D3 days for infiniting, but hey...)

drunk3ng0ldfish

Smash Cadet
default. except L is jump, makes it muuch easier to do a rising Fullhop Dair imo.
and i never use that button anyway.

i also have a setup where down on the dpad is attack.
left is special, up is jump and right is grab. so i can play on the left side of the controller and be badass.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
You have to lightly rotate the stick from the right or left position to the down position before you hit down on the c-stick.

MrEh

Smash Hero
Tap Jump OFF
A: Taunt
B: Taunt
X: Taunt
Y: Taunt
D-Pad: Taunt
C-Stick: Taunt
Z: Taunt
R: Taunt
L: Taunt

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
I jump most often with X and most often shield with R, it's better to jump with Y and shield with L? If so, what makes it better?

Wario Nut

Smash Journeyman
I go completely default, except that I turn tap jump off.

I never use the C-stick, Y , or R.

I use A for smashing tilts etc. B for specials. X for jumping. And Z or R+A for grabing, I'm pretty old school(even though I really stunk in Melee)

Lazee

Smash Apprentice
Tap off
Everything normal but x is grab so I don't have to hit it with a shoulder button and r is attack for dlx combos and dacusing(both falco and wario have a dlx and dacus but me and fiction r like the only one that uses it lol)

FattyFatFatso

Smash Apprentice
Tap jump off gives me more aerial control. R is set to grab because I only shield with L and I hate trying to use Z to grab or shield + A to grab. Everything else the same really.

Top Bottom