• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

trademark0013

Smash Champion
Yea, I blame the new players
no johns.
trademark...i may want to play on friday...give me more details!
didnt u say u had a date? and txt me 2036540076
So, just to get a conversation rolling...

Would anyone here date a person who has kids already?
one of the most beautiful ppl i met in my life was this chick who was 27 when i was 17. she def woulda let me smash, but her lil sister blew my spot and said my age. she thought i was 20 cuz all my ppls were around that age. she had two kids

so yea i would. if she was lookin for long term, then na, unless i realllllyyy found her special

Bakasquad5

Smash Apprentice
Ride the Hurricane Road Artist formerly known as t
I actually hate Jam. She's one of Baiken's worst match-ups.

@ Aiser- I don't think it's a good idea for two main reasons:
1. It's a big responsibilty to take on, especially for people in our age group.
2. Dating a woman with a kid automatically relegates you to the #2 position in her heart. Why put yourself in second place?
Jam is the sexiest person/character alive, and i mean both Jam Stunna and Jam Kudoraborui for GG of course lol, and yes Jam eats baiken alive. nice choice thumbs thats my main in that game, why are we so alike and why do you live so far away, =(.

Also i agree with Jamil on the female with kids, don't do it, I know as i haven taken care of my nephews since they were 3 months, (i was 13 at the time) and they are like 11 and 8 now, so i also have been there, albeit part-time sorta, its complicated but still. It's not good times, and way more stress than you need especially, if it isn't even your kid (and before anyone doubts me, yes i was the one who actually taking care of them, diapers, feeding, bedtimes, they even slept in my bed, etc.) don't get me wrong, kids are awesome but i'm not willing to put myself into that situation again and i've been there, its not easy, i still amazed at how Jam and his wife do it while going to school. When i'm ready to have kids and all that stuff fine, but im not doing it for someone else's kids

br4n

Smash Apprentice
street fighter iv is so fun

and i'm probably really terrible at it LOL

yea it is really good, my friend got a leaked copy and ive been playing it for like 2 weeks. i like it but i suck/ dont understand it really. bison is awesome in it.

noodles

Smash Champion
cort friggin drive down here. id give you money for gas but i owe budai 30$ for a controller.

Bakasquad5

Smash Apprentice
Ride the Hurricane Road Artist formerly known as t
lol really?
i thought they were like, ok
zangief
his spinning lairiat makes him invincible over his whole body, you can hit him out of it
it will be spammed heavily
also his back hand links and into and auto grab... getting grabbd by zangief = gg
which will also be spammed

sagat
tiger knee has priority over every move in the game, EVERY MOVE, it just wins
and tiger knee links in anything and everything sagat can do, even another tiger knee or a special
not to mention he has lowest crouch and longest reach, 2 fireballs, low and high and best dragon punch
sagat is like god tier

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
My wife and I are watching Gabriel play Melee. So far, he's been 4-stocked by a level-1 Bowser, Ness and Zelda. He just keeps walking off the stages to the left. It's pretty hilarious. He also likes to play with the controller upside down. MINDGAMES?!

SEXY

Smash Cadet
My boyfriend believes in god/takes his beliefs seriously and I hate, er, strongly dislike religion. Gg.
There may have been a man called jesus, just the same as there may have been a man called fred.
it by no means make him divine???????

There is no contemporary evidence for Jesus.
Much of the "evidence" cited is false, or suspect, or very late.

Josephus is considered some of the best evidence - even though is is generally considered to be tampered with, if not an outright forgery (of course, the word used is "interpolated" - scholars avoid the word "forgery" even though that's exactly what it is.)

JOSEPHUS (c.96CE)

Yes,
The famous Testamonium Flavianum is considered probably the best evidence for Jesus, yet it has some serious problems :
* the T.F. as it stands uses clearly Christian phrases and names Christ as Messiah, it could not possibly have been written by the Jew Josephus (who refused to call anyone "messiah"),
* The T.F. comes in several versions of various ages,
* The T.F. was not mentioned by Origen when he reviewed Josephus - Origen even says Josephus does NOT call Jesus the Messiah, showing the passage was not present in that earlier era.
* The T.F. first showed up in manuscripts of Eusebius, and was still absent from some manuscripts as late as 8th century.
* (The other tiny passage in Josephus is probably a later interpolation.)
An analysis of Josephus can be found here:
http://www.humanists.net/jesuspuzzle/supp10.htm
http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/josephus.html

In short - this passage is possibly a total forgery (or at best a corrupt form of a lost original.)
But, yes, it's corrupt, controversial but just POSSIBLY real evidence for a Jesus.
Such is the weakness of the evidence that this suspect passage is considered some of the best "evidence" for a historical Jesus of Nazareth.

TACITUS (c.112CE)

Roughly 80 years after the alleged events (and 40 years after the war) Tacitus allegedly wrote a (now) famous passage about "Christ" - this passage has several problems however:
* Tacitus uses the term "procurator", used in his later times, but not correct for the actual period, when "prefect" was used.
* Tacitus names the person as "Christ", when Roman records could not possibly have used this name (it would have been "Jesus, son of Joseph" or similar.)
* Tacitus accepts the recent advent of Christianity, which was against Roman practice (to only allow ancient and accepted cults and religions.)
* (No-one refers to this passage for a millennium, even early Christians who actively sought such passages.)

This evidence speaks AGAINST it being based on any Roman records -
but
merely a few details which Tacitus gathered from Christian stories circulating in his time (c.f. Pliny.)
So,
this passage is NOT evidence for Jesus,
it's just evidence for 2nd century Christian stories about Jesus.
http://oll.libertyfund.org/ToC/0067.php
http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/tacitus.html

PLINY the Younger (c.112CE)

About 80 years after the alleged events, (and over 40 years after the war) Pliny referred to Christians who worshipped a "Christ" as a god, but there is no reference to a historical Jesus or Gospel events.
So,
Pliny is not evidence for a historical Jesus of Nazareth,
just evidence for 2nd century Christians who worshipped a Christ.
http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/pliny.html

SUETONIUS (c.115CE)

Roughly 80-90 years after the alleged Gospel events, (about 75 years after the war) Suetonius refers to a "Chrestus" who stirred the Jews to trouble in Rome during Claudius' time, but:
* this "Chrestus" is a Greek name (from "useful"), and is also a mystic name for an initiate, it is not the same as "Christos"
* this Chrestus was apparently active in Rome, Jesus never was.
So,
this passage is not evidence for Jesus,
it's nothing to do with Jesus,
it's evidence for Christians grasping at straws.
http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/suetonius.html

IGNATIUS (107CE? 130-170CE?)

The letters of Ignatius are traditionally dated to c.107, yet:
* it is not clear if he really existed, his story is suspicious,
* his letters are notoriously corrupt and in 2 versions,
* it is probable that his letters were later forgeries,
* he mentions only a tiny few items about Jesus.
So,
Ignatius is no evidence for Jesus himself,
at BEST it is 2nd century evidence to a few beliefs about Jesus.
http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/ignatius.html

QUADRATUS (c.125CE)

Quadratus apparently wrote an Apology to Hadrian (117-138), but:
* we have none of his works,
* it is not certain when he wrote,
* all we have is 1 sentence quoted much later.
So,
Quadratus is uncertain evidence from about a century later.
http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/quadratus.html

THALLUS (date unknown)

We have NO certain evidence when Thallus lived or wrote, there are NONE of Thallus' works extant.
What we DO have is a 9th century reference by George Syncellus who quotes the 3rd century Julianus Africanus, who, speaking of the darkness at the crucifixion, wrote: "Thallus calls this darkness an eclipse".
But,
there is NO evidence Thallus made specific reference to Jesus or the Gospel events at all, as there WAS an eclipse in 29. This suggests he merely referred to a known eclipse, but that LATER Christians MIS-interpreted his comment to mean their darkness. (Also note the supposed reference to Thallus in Eusebius is a false reading.)

Richard Carrier the historian has a good page on Thallus:
http://www.infidels.org/library/mode...r/thallus.html

So,
Thallus is no evidence for Jesus at all,
merely evidence for Christian wishful thinking.

PHLEGON (c.140)

Phlegon wrote during the 140s - his works are lost. Later, Origen, Eusebius, and Julianus Africanus (as quoted by George Syncellus) refer to him, but quote differently his reference to an eclipse. There is no evidence Phlegon actually said anything about Gospel events, he was merely talking about an eclipse (they DO happen) which LATER Christians argued was the "darkness" in their stories.
So,
Phlegon is no evidence for Jesus at all -
merely evidence for Christian wishful thinking.

VALENTINUS (c.140CE)

In mid 2nd century the GNOSTIC Valentinus almost became Bishop of Rome, but:
* he was several generations after the alleged events,
* he wrote of an esoteric, Gnostic Jesus and Christ,
* he mentioned no historical details about Jesus.
So,
Valentinus is no evidence for a historical Jesus.
http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/valentinus.html

POLYCARP (c.155CE)

Polycarp wrote in mid 2nd century, but :
* he is several generations after the alleged events,
* he gives many sayings of Jesus (some of which do NOT match the Gospels),
* he does NOT name any evangelist or Gospel.
So,
Polycarp knew sayings of Jesus,
but provides no actual evidence for a historical Jesus.
http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/polycarp.html

LUCIAN (c.170CE)

Nearly one-and-a-half CENTURIES after the alleged events, Lucian satirised Christians, but :
* this was several generations later,
* Lucian does NOT even mention Jesus or Christ by name.
So,
Lucian is no evidence for a historical Jesus, merely late 2nd century lampooning of Christians.

GALEN (late 2nd C.)

Late 2nd century, Galen makes a few references to Christians, and briefly to Christ.
This is far too late to be evidence for Jesus.

NUMENIUS (2nd C.?)

In the 3rd century, Origen claimed Numenius "quotes also a narrative regarding Jesus--without, however, mentioning His name" - i.e. Numenius mentioned a story but said nothing about Jesus, but by Origen's time it had become attached to Jesus' name.
This not any evidence for Jesus, it's just later wishful thinking.

Also none of the writers around at the same time of this jesus person wrote about him.

Philo Judaeus lived in Alexandria, he spent time in Jerusalem and had family there during the times of Jesus. He wrote many books about the Jews and their religion and history. He developed the themes of the Logos and the Holy Spirit.
No mention of Jesus or the Gospel events.

Valerius Maximus wrote historical anecdotes c.30CE

Marcus Manilius wrote on astrology/astronomy in Rome early 1st century.

Writers from shortly after Jesus time:

Lucius Annaeus Seneca wrote many philosophic (Stoic) and satirical books and letters (and Tragedies) in Rome.

Petronius Arbiter wrote the Satyricon in Rome.

C. Musonius Rufus wrote on Stoic philosophy in Rome.

Aulus Persius Flaccus wrote several satires in Rome.

Marcus Annaeus Lucanus wrote the Pharsalia (Civil War) in Rome.

Hero(n) of Alexandria wrote many technical works, including astronomy.

Geminus wrote on astronomy in Greece.

Plutarch of Chaeronea wrote many works on history and philosophy in Rome and Boetia.

Justus of Tiberias wrote a History of the Kings of the Jews shortly after the time of Jesus, and from the same region - his works are now lost, but Photius, Patriarch of Constantinople wrote in the 8th Century: ''Read the Chronicle of Justus of Tiberias, entitled A Chronicle of the Kings of the Jews in the form of a genealogy, by Justus of Tiberias. He came from Tiberias in Galilee, from which he took his name. He begins his history with Moses and carries it down to the death of the seventh Agrippa of the family of Herod and the last of the Kings of the Jews. His kingdom, which was bestowed upon him by Claudius, was extended by Nero, and still more by Vespasian. He died in the third year of Trajan, when the history ends. Justus' style is very concise and he omits a great deal that is of utmost importance. Suffering from the common fault of the Jews, to which race he belonged, he does not even mention the coming of Christ, the events of his life, or the miracles performed by Him. His father was a Jew named Pistus; Justus himself, according to Josephus, was one of the most abandoned of men, a slave to vice and greed. He was a political opponent of Josephus, against whom he is said to have concocted several plots; but Josephus, although on several occasions he had his enemy in his power, only chastised him with words and let him go ... "

Pliny the Elder (Gaius Plinius Secundus) wrote a large Natural History in Rome.

Dio Chrysostom (Cocceianus Dio) was the dominant Roman Orator of the times (his works show Stoic and Cynic ideas), and wrote many works and gave many speeches in various Roman and Greek centres, of which 80 survive e.g. the Euboicus.

Marcus Fabius Quintilianus, wrote the Education of an Orator in Rome - his many speeches are lost.

Publius Papinius Statius wrote numerous poems (e.g. Ode to Sleep and the Thebaid) in Rome.

NONE of these early writers even MENTIONED Jesus or the Gospel events.

Only AFTER the Gospels became known in mid 2nd century (LONG long after the alleged events) did anyone mention Jesus.

There are about 50 writers from the 1st century - NONE of them mention Jesus.

But,
they DO mention many HUNDREDS, maybe even THOUSANDS of characters in their books - including minor nobodies like servants and family, un-important names mentioned once in passing.

But NOTHING about Jesus - who must have been LESS important, LESS known, LESS notable than the most minor nobody.

This next list is of writers around at the time of this alleged christ, that wrote nothing whatssoever about him.
Some even walked the same paths, but heard and wrote nothing.

Aulus Perseus (60 AD)
Columella (1 st. cent. AD)
Dio Chrysostom (c. 40-c. 112 AD)
Justus of Tiberious (c. 80 AD)
Livy (59 BC-17 AD)
Lucanus (fl. 63 AD)
Lucius Flours (1st-2nd -cent. AD)
Petronius (d. 66 AD)
Phaedrus (c. 15 BC-c. 50 AD)
Philo Judaeus (20 BC-50 AD)
Phlegon (1st cent. AD)
Pliny the Elder (23?-69 AD)
Plutarch (c.46-c. 119 AD)
Pomponius Mela (40 AD)
Rufus Curtius (1st cent. AD)
Quintilian (c. 35-c. 100 AD)
Quintus Curtius (1st cent. AD)
Seneca (4 BC?-65 AD)
Silius Italicus (.25-101 AD)
Statius Caelicius (1st cent. AD)
Theon of Smyrna (c. 70-c.135 AD)
Valerius Flaccus (1st cent AD)
Valerius Maximus (fl. c. 20 AD).

There is no historicity for a jesus person.

TALMUD (3rd C. and later)

The Talmud was written over the third, fourth, and fifth centuries.
In the tractiate Sanhedrin, page 43a it mentions a Yeshu(Jehoshua), who was hung for forty days before his execution. it also states he was born a hundred years pre-christ and that he had five desciples Matthai, Nakai, Nezer, Buni and Todah who were executed along side him.
* these references are from 3rd century or later, and seem to be (unfriendly) Jewish responses to Christian claims.
* the references are highly variant, have many cryptic names for Jesus, and are very different to the Gospel stories
So
the Talmud contains NO evidence for Jesus,
the Talmud merely has much later Jewish responses to the Gospel stories.
http://www.heartofisrael.org/chazak...es/intalmud.htm

This Yeshu is not the same jesus now is he..

SEXY

Smash Cadet
^copy and pasted btw lol i rejected a few girls who had religious beliefs before, sucks dont itttt fufufufufufufufufufuuf /hyper and emo

ZOMG DOUBLE POSSTTT

oneangrysquirrel

Smash Apprentice
My wife and I are watching Gabriel play Melee. So far, he's been 4-stocked by a level-1 Bowser, Ness and Zelda. He just keeps walking off the stages to the left. It's pretty hilarious. He also likes to play with the controller upside down. MINDGAMES?!
He's a 4 swordsman.....he's sandbagging. Trust me when he asks you to MM DON'T DO IT JAM.

Top Bottom