• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

NusCirtap

Smash Ace
West Hartford, CT &lt;3 Asian Cuteness Level: 10
The timing is probably just different in brawl than melee and not a lag issue. Sometimes my cstick doesn't work for aerials. Annoying. I think I'm done with it for a little bit, everyone get really good and learn all the tricks for me so that I can learn the game real fast when I feel like it. >_>

Spring break next week! Besides AB, I think I'm going to RI for a St. Patty's day parade but I probably won't cause my friends and I are way too lazy to drive. But maybe. >>

Does anyone watch Korean dramas? My friend convinced me to start watching it and I am completely addicted. I'm just wondering cause I need more recommendations for good ones. Yet another thing to distract me from life, grrr. I was all, wow I don't have many asian friends, maybe I should make some. First one I meet convinces me to watch... I am becoming more girlish by the day. -_-

Brookman

Smash Hero
without CC jabs are so good

down throw up b

I like falco a lot too

I think characters can combo the smash ball too
\
smash DI is great

_milktea

Smash Lord
meow

it's really late

and i just played brawl with dan (purplecobra), too fun. overall i haven't played much..

procrastinating on this 7 page revision i gotta do :3~ and a japanese midterm lawl

PEE ES COTTON CANDY ATTACK~ CRAP, intercepted, failure

Brookman

Smash Hero
I'm looking at the advanced tactics guide and there are all these weird *** names for things that were in melee...like pivoting..?

they have pivoting too, what's the difference between a pivot and a "hyphen smash" aside from gay name?

Ike and falco are my favorites at the moment...sooo tired though

Smash DI (+ air dodge?) = jab counter

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
I'm sorry Daz, I just think that we've learned by now that items are, and always will be, innappropriate in competitive fighting games. They detract from the idea of Man vs Man. Like using guns to see who is a better fighter, John wayne can't beat up Bruce Lee. That's just how it is.
The thing about competitive fighting games, is that, for the most part, they're all derivatives of Street Fighter, or 3D Fighting game that came first...was it Virtual Fighter? I'm not sure >_>. Both 2D and 3D follow some pretty similar concepts. Life Gauge, Hi/Low Attacking/Blocking, Varying attack strengths, Control motions for special attacks, etc.

Very few fighting games deviate from the norm, and the ones that do generally turn out below average or not fun. Smash is the only exception to this rule (although I've heard good things about Power Stone), and yet we're all determined to strip the game of what makes it unique until we're back to the norm as much as possible. I don't like that. I didn't mind it in Melee at all, because the only way to fix one of the biggest problem items Melee had (containers and their wacky exploding evil twins) was to turn off all items. However, in Brawl, this problem is fixable. And yet the community just seems to go with what worked in Melee, even though it might not necessarily hold true in Brawl.

This also gives faster characters HUGE advantage, Bowser wouldn't stand a chance against Sonic with items on. However, if a smash ball appears next to Ike, he can break it with one hit, where's the skill in that?
Who's to say those aren't intentionally designed advantages for those characters?

BTW, every move in the game has the potential to one-hit a smashball open, it just depends on how long the smashball stays out. Ike's fully charged F-smash doesn't beat a fresh spawned Smash Ball, but his jab will beat one that's been out for 30 seconds. Time spent alive seems to gradually decrease the smash ball's "armor"

Your opponent can kill you, then you respawn next to a smash ball and get it because you're invincable. OR, you kill someone, then a smash ball appears before you're opponent respawns and you get it, then kill them again after they come back, that is nonsense.
So you're saying in the short period of time your opponent is respawning, you have an advantage, and then that advantage is turned back to your opponent for a short period of time, and then afterwards it's back to who controls a larger portion of the stage? Where's the beef nonsense?

Honestly, I'm not asking much. If you don't like Smash Balls, think they're too overpowered, it's fine. I don't care. Even I think they're fairly overpowered. Wouldn't it be better to KNOW they're overpowered, though? To know there's a reason behind banning items this time around, aside from the current ****ty reason of "lol we banned them in melee."

Again, look at what KishPrime posted. Early on in Brawl, the only true way for us to determine what is actually broken, is to test it.

Olympic wrestling is real fighting. When you use items, that's how you end up with the WWE.
Olympic wrestling is Brawl without items, street fighting (not to be confused with street fighter) is Brawl with items. Both are very "real" forms of fighting, just different. WWE is staged wrestling, so a better analogy would to call DBR combo videos the WWE (Zing!)

_milktea

Smash Lord
I'm looking at the advanced tactics guide and there are all these weird *** names for things that were in melee...like pivoting..?

they have pivoting too, what's the difference between a pivot and a "hyphen smash" aside from gay name?
I heard somewhere, don't remember, that they chose the word "hyphen" because it sounds cooler than "dash". Hypen=dash v_v;.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
I really hate the people who decided to take charge of listing/naming/etc "advanced techniques" for brawl. The only useful ones I've even seen are Hyphen Smashing (which is a terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible name), and that turnaround running backair (which is badass, I'll admit), and then everything else is just "lol guys look what I found it's pretty useless can I call it dazwa cancelling or dazwarioing or the daz smash"

Brookman

Smash Hero
I really hate the people who decided to take charge of listing/naming/etc "advanced techniques" for brawl. The only useful ones I've even seen are Hyphen Smashing (which is a terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible name), and that turnaround running backair (which is badass, I'll admit), and then everything else is just "lol guys look what I found it's pretty useless can I call it dazwa cancelling or dazwarioing or the daz smash"
You can do that sort of back air thing with falco in melee:

short hop bair auto cancels, so you just hold to his back and short hop as you land, then hit a to bair. Unless you get running momentum in brawl?

I like pivot tricks in brawl. Floatiness makes spacing easier so you can avoid shield grabbing.

Is there any hit stun on shields or no?

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
I really hate the people who decided to take charge of listing/naming/etc "advanced techniques" for brawl. The only useful ones I've even seen are Hyphen Smashing (which is a terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible, terrible name), and that turnaround running backair (which is badass, I'll admit)
>.> Turnaround running Backair = RAR(Reverse Aerial Rush!)
<.< I lobbied for that name, because if you do it into a winning hit, its called "WINRAR"!

>.> Also, I (un)intentionally named everything that is known and possible with Lucario.

Its fun to name things and see 50+ people refer to it XD!
-DD

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
Daz Smash is the most amazing thing ever.

Dazwair is the new word for downair.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
HOLY **** COGSMOOCH IS RELATED TO LEON LEONWOOD BEAN? ****IN **** BADASS
Look at the MM8 results.

WWE is staged wrestling, so a better analogy would to call DBR combo videos the WWE (Zing!)
ROFLPANTS

Also: Daz, Cort and Purple Cobra have not added me as friends... what the clux, guys?

edit: sleepy what's your FC?

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
It's in your user CP. There should be something for "Brawl Character."

I picked Wario. Why?

Dazwario.

Has anyone ever woken up and part of their body hurts? My arm hurt all day yesterday for some reason, and now my eye is bruised, and my eye being bruised takes like a week to get better. God ****.

drSuper

Smash Apprentice
Thanks PoF I think Diddy is a pretty well rounded fighter and has potential for some tech. I haven't figured out who he's a good counter pick for tho. Also MetaKnight would be 1000x better if his paper cuts could kill XD

Samikay

Smash Apprentice
So I added a couple people I pmed, but uh... yeah... if you wanna play me, my FC is 0301-9465-6284. I still use a wide variety of character like Olimar and PT, but my main is prolly Pit. So pm me if you wanna fight me. Kthnxbyepceout.

ErciChewman

Smash Ace
WWE is staged wrestling, so a better analogy would to call DBR combo videos the WWE (Zing!)
I rofl'd at that. =)

But still, street fighting is a bunch of drunk losers outside a bar who prove nothing by throwing beer bottles at each other and wake up with a hangover wondering what the heck happened. That's what a tournament with items feels like.

They are still, none the less, RANDOM. That is the main issue, randomness promotes random results. Both players could pick assist trophys, one could get Little Mike who is a beast, and the other could get Tingle who does nothing (then randomly spits out 10 golden hammers!). That is why it's nonsense and detracts from the art of fighting.

Items also promote extreme amounts of camping to the point of utter gayness. With items on, who needs to fight, I'll just run around avoiding attacks and wait for items to appear.

Could you even give me a list of the items you're willing to try out? There's far too many items for us to be holding tourney after tourney trying to find out every possible combination of what is the most fair item system. Like Cort said, i don't wanna pay money to find out. Like, Hey! maybe having **** Tom yelling in our ears while we play can add some new element to the game, let's try it out! "Yo ******! Donkey Kong ****** gon **** you son!" Who wants to pay and see if that works?

Every point i could make doesn't even add up to shear fact that it's all random. Whether the items explode or not, they are still random. We can't be having national tournaments for lots of money with random things going on.

That's like next years Superbowl taking place on a mine field >_> *waits for new analogy*

p.s. I'm fine with agreeing to disagree here, but i love a good debate. Erci <3s Daz.

p.p.s. just thought of this, what the **** are combo vids gonna look like with fricking items on......probably like DBR combo vids HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Top Bottom