• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

Aesir

Smash Master
Which ones exactly are you referring to? Ones that rain down like dededede, pit, etc.?
no you can actually avoid those, I'm talking about ones like olimars, which can be unavoidable. you're either gonna die or take a lot of damage.

Peaches as well, though all peaches does is give her healing items and put you asleep.

I can't think of others off the top of my head right now.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
there is still the option of knocking it out of the opponent and using the right character to help get the ball faster i guess.

EDIT: well i guess its very situational
using the right character... sounds suspiciously like fox only.....

Cort

Apple Head
I kinda like Brawl cause every character seems pretty playable. Smash balls completely ruin that sense of balance and make Brawl deviate even further from a normal competitive setting. (Lol tripping, removal of the fastfall 'l cancel' from the demo, it's nearly impossible to combo anyone anyway, auto sweet spots on the ledge, everyone is retardedly floaty...) Especially considering people play with 3 stock now, and how randomly smash balls spawn, getting one puts you at a ridiculous advantage with extremely little skill... unless your character's FS sucks, well then... choose a better character to randomly get lucky with.

Also, tournament operators rely on the Melee scene's players to keep coming back, not the new coming scrubs that would love smash balls on at tournaments. 99% of them are going to go to their first (maybe 2) tournaments and then never come back because they didn't get first. Smash balls at a tournament simply wouldn't be taken seriously, and it hurts the TOs rep. Why would you want to attend a national tournament where thousands of dollars are on the line in the finals, and then have something as random as a smash ball determine who wins?

Silas06

Smash Apprentice
Also, tournament operators rely on the Melee scene's players to keep coming back, not the new coming scrubs that would love smash balls on at tournaments. 99% of them are going to go to their first (maybe 2) tournaments and then never come back because they didn't get first. Smash balls at a tournament simply wouldn't be taken seriously, and it hurts the TOs rep. Why would you want to attend a national tournament where thousands of dollars are on the line in the finals, and then have something as random as a smash ball determine who wins?
well said

in other news, i work at dunkin donuts now. worship me puhleez. kthx.

noodles

Smash Champion
you cud somewhat avoid olimars final smash double jump and keep up-being you'll still take damage tho. kirby's is kinda hard to avoid

Samikay

Smash Apprentice
Simply put, shouldn't the best player win? Items/smash balls add too much luck to the equation to truly call the winner the best player.
"I'd have won if you didn't get that smash ball" should never be heard in a tournament setting (mostly cuz its whiny)

So are all of you guys gonna be competitive in Brawl or stick with melee? I don't think that brawl is any less skillful than melee, it just doesnt require the lightning fast reflexes that melee did. Its more about move placement and strategy I think. Saying that, Im disappointed I never got to be great at melee, but Im using this opportunity to pick a high-tier character and stick with him so I can actually place in tournaments.

Anybody going to the Hartford one in April?

ErciChewman

Smash Ace
i fail to see any depth in "oooo, a Pokey ball, ima throwz it atchu!" or "oooo, a trophy case, lemme pick it up and have someone else killz you! derr"

Yeah, items fail.

Also, DK's neutral B is better than his final smash anyway, why use gay *** bongos when you can Donkey Punch people out of shield.

Cort

Apple Head
Because you can press A to a beat and make it do super range!!!

Also, I ran out of bananas to make tasty shakes with :(

drSuper

Smash Apprentice
Playing wit four people its more fun to try and keep people away from the smash ball, rather than attacking yourself. As far as fairness goes some tend to be much more effective than others, and I wonder how this relates to the characters overall balance.

Solid Jake

The Arcanum
I kinda like Brawl cause every character seems pretty playable. Smash balls completely ruin that sense of balance and make Brawl deviate even further from a normal competitive setting. (Lol tripping, removal of the fastfall 'l cancel' from the demo, it's nearly impossible to combo anyone anyway, auto sweet spots on the ledge, everyone is retardedly floaty...) Especially considering people play with 3 stock now, and how randomly smash balls spawn, getting one puts you at a ridiculous advantage with extremely little skill... unless your character's FS sucks, well then... choose a better character to randomly get lucky with.

I intend to revive the VLS series. And i can guarntee right now. I will have brawl. But smash balls will not be on.... im actually going to fool w/ stage builder for tourneys too.. i think that would be fun..

But cort covered anything i could say about brawl.. 100%

P.S.
Cort i dont work tomorrow, when shall i come over? :)

EDIT
YOU ALL MOST DO THIS IMMEDIATELY
GO INTO OPTIONS
TURN MUSIC OFF, SOUND EFFECT ON MAX
GO TO ITEMS
VERY HIGH
FOOD ONLY
PICK SNAKE
COMMENCE OM NOM NOM NOM NOM

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Finally got my Brawl fc, woohoo. 3050-7282-2516

Everyone play me please. Pm me if you add me... preferably. I don't wanna look through all the spamz. :(

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
dazwa haet crashboards

With Brawl comes something new, and everyone will want to rush to a standard ruleset very quickly, with MLG leading the way. Instead, I suggest we take a slower approach and let the game play itself out. With the game physics, advanced slobs, and neutral stage selection + open counters in place, it will be very hard to break the game within two months. Banning things unnecessarily impedes the metagame and could have fatal consequences for the tournament scene. It will advance itself quick enough with online play. Within two months a standard will emerge that follows these guidelines, if the game has any hope of being balanced at all. The risk of having an early tournament go somewhat awry is minimal compared to the risk of damaging the metagame.

AxelSlam

Smash Ace
Mur-mur-murder Capital Awesome Level: 9000+
K SO TOMORROW IS PI DAY RIGHT?

and tomorrow i'm inviting a buncha peoplez over and what not.
and make/eat pies.
nomnom
so here's my invitation for everyone.
IM me for infoz and what not
:3
people should come over
and smash with meeeee
and

my birthday is in 12 days. yay. :]

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
Happy early birthday, Axel =)

Actually, I'm gonna celebrate the 12 days of Axel's birthday, starting now.

On the 1st day of Axel's birthday, Smashboards crashed on me, I guess I'll play Brawl on my Wii.

Cort

Apple Head
I'm all for ****** happy fun times with smash balls on to prove that they will alter tournament results like crazy. I just don't want to spend money doing it.

~omega~

Smash Apprentice
Im getting my wii tommorow ^.^ i can finally play at home! Im willing to play anyone, but one question, is the lag any better with friend codes? I've played a few random matches before and the lag was horrid.

Edit~

btw wussup Spawn!

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Spawn! I'll add you tomorrow!
:D Maybe YOU can beat my Lucario first try.
;o No one else has, at least without lag helping them.
-DD

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Okay, so I managed to not be lazy and add in fcs. Thanks noodles for pm'ing me. I only looked at the last 2 pages so I probably missed some people, but in about an hour or so I'm going to update it with:

-Cort
-drSuper
-Daz/Darc
-Jake
-Noodles
-Papito
-Cog
-Budai
-PC

Lemme know if I didn't add you. PLEASE ADD IN MY BRAWL FC! Thank-you. ^_^

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Dazwa, I'll mail it to you, I already bought it for the gc. I'm really sorry about that. :(

Omega, haha, what's going on dude. Put up your brawl fc.

DD, I'll put you on my list of people that I'm going to update tonight.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
that won't be necessary, I need to repair/replace my PS2 anyways before I can even play it again. Just bring it next time we meet, I guess.

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
Thanks, Paul. :)

Alright Dylan. The real question now is when will we see each other again. T_T

SEXY

Smash Cadet
I FREAKING LOVE FINAL SMASHES

Fox's Final Smash

Falco's Final Smash

Wolf's Final Smash

Toon Link's Final Smash

but seriously though, Brawl is pretty fun. Aesir was right :D

also Hi everyone O_O

also: finished Death Note, was really good, only part i didnt like was:
that Mello and Watru died
, they were my fav characters >_<

anyone notice any lag from commands from your controller to ur character? IE: i shield, then let go of R, then pressed left on the c-stick to do a smash, but instead i rolled. i did it the same exact speed i do it in melee, might just be me though >_>

ErciChewman

Smash Ace
I'm sorry Daz, I just think that we've learned by now that items are, and always will be, innappropriate in competitive fighting games. They detract from the idea of Man vs Man. Like using guns to see who is a better fighter, John wayne can't beat up Bruce Lee. That's just how it is. Items are RANDOM, there's no arguing it, if they spawn right in front of you, there's no "strategy" needed. This also gives faster characters HUGE advantage, Bowser wouldn't stand a chance against Sonic with items on. However, if a smash ball appears next to Ike, he can break it with one hit, where's the skill in that? Your opponent can kill you, then you respawn next to a smash ball and get it because you're invincable. OR, you kill someone, then a smash ball appears before your opponent respawns and you get it, then kill them again after they come back, that is nonsense.

Olympic wrestling is real fighting. When you use items, that's how you end up with the WWE.

~omega~

Smash Apprentice
I still dont have a wii >< currently selling my wow account to buy one, although i do have 80+ hours already in the game from staying at friend's house but anyway yea when i get it ill put my fc up asap. :snes: :snes:

Top Bottom