• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
i saw that vid a couple weeks ago. i can't tell if it's just really unfunny or if knowledge about certain topics makes superficial comedy about them unappealing.

Octave

Smash Ace
I'm glad SOMEONE agrees with that vid being mediocre. I saw it and was like,"Meh." and some friends saw it and thought it was better than sliced bread.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
I thought it was moderately clever, but nothing great. I was mildly entertained when I first saw it, but not something to write home about.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
Haha I was squirming uncomfortably throughout that entire song. The reason it doesn't appeal to us at all is because we're total tourneyf@gs, and that song is by, for, and about scrubs. Lyrics about playing with items? feh.

Being elitist is awesome.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
well, there's that and that it was a bad parody IMOIMOMO. like, **** you -> up b... ok, it work with syllables but it doesn't have any other phonetic similarities or any sort of corelation of meanings that amused me. I mean, typically I want parodies like that to have some sort of blatantly visible connection between the original and new lyrics, but here it's just sorta like, "oh hey, I like this Cee Lo song and I like Smash Brothers, let's put them together!" whereas something like Banelings has a more obvious connection of "hey, 'Banelings' sounds like 'Baby,' let's use that Justin Beiber song for our Parody." Also that one is well executed (well, except that Husky is amongst the worst rappers I've ever seen in my life).

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
Thomas you clearly have terrible taste in music if you cannot appreciate hip hop at all.

Also, CCSU? Sometime soon? Preferably Friday so I can get away from my ****ty-*** life sooner rather than later?

EDIT: ****, now I need to redo my sig png all over again. Thanks alot, Smashboards layout change.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I would start listing worthwhile and accessible rap, but I don't feel like wasting time.

Either way, it's kinda douchey to imply that there's been nothing worthwhile in a genre that you generally don't like. I hate opera, but I'm not about to tell someone that there have never been good operas because I'm just generally biased against them.

Octave

Smash Ace
I don't understand the value in lyrics that rappers use:

"I ****ed a girl
she was real tight
yee yee gat gat
*random sound effects that substitute lyrics*"

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
that's all I hear of rap from the radio/people in my dorm so I've never heard anything better.
Bolded to highlight the problem.

You haven't heard good rap because you don't listen to good rap.
-DD

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Yeah, that I can agree with. If all I ever heard was Slayer, I'd probably hate what little metal I have left.

Most of my music is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5TureHY2po

and this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc1sBDXLw3g

edit: @nick show me good rap, then.
Listen to the lyrical content and enjoy as it flows with the musical content.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewc1hixzYPY

And the video is awesome too.

And don't take that as an example of "Best" or anything. I just had that playing as this topic started. :p
-DD

Octave

Smash Ace
See, I enjoyed all 5 of those tracks, especially CunninLynguists. At first I was like "****, generic rap song." but then the lyrics kicked in and it was kinda amazing.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
see? genre's are much deeper when you actually look deeper :p.

Rap's just particularly bad because innovative and new **** never gets any radio play for whatever reason and pop rap is currently dominated by autotune garbage.

Anyone know why that is btw? Like, why can bands like the strokes, vampire weekend, phoenix, passion pit, the temper trap, etc etc etc break through in the rock medium while basically nothing new or interesting can break through in hip hop? Is it just that rock stations are more progressive or something? I just don't get it, why are there no good hip hop stations anywhere?

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
see? genre's are much deeper when you actually look deeper :p.

Rap's just particularly bad because innovative and new **** never gets any radio play for whatever reason and pop rap is currently dominated by autotune garbage.

Anyone know why that is btw? Like, why can bands like the strokes, vampire weekend, phoenix, passion pit, the temper trap, etc etc etc break through in the rock medium while basically nothing new or interesting can break through in hip hop? Is it just that rock stations are more progressive or something? I just don't get it, why are there no good hip hop stations anywhere?
"rap cool" maybe? seems to be a lot more driven by ego and status than other genres. resistant to change/innovation. ?

btw, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAoBqg5ycrI 2:44 goes so hard

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
If you're a nerd you would love MC Paul Barman. That dude is the biggest English language nerd but he's still quite the ill rapper. I wouldn't classify him as nerdcore, though, since that goes to guys like MegaRan and YTCracker.

Also, Thomas, check out Edan's "Primitive Plus" album. He goes hard and has great syllabic timing with his lyrics.

Also, copied from a post I made in the ROB Social:

If you're a math/science nerd, listen to MC Paul Barman.
If you're flirting with the sound of rap and like the soulful stuff, listen to People Under The Stairs.
If you love wordplay and ingenious lyrics, listen to Edan or Souls of Mischief.
If you love artists who go mad hard all the time, listen to Pharaoh Monch or Big L.
If you're a Video Game nerd, listen to Futuristic Sex Robotz or Turbo (T Double).
If you dug that Gorillaz track 'Clint Eastwood', listen to the rest of the stuff by the rapper, Del Tha Funkee Homosapien.
If you think females can't rap, listen to Psalm One.
Hell, even if you're into emo music, listen to Atmosphere.
And if you don't even like the thought of rap but have a sense of humor in the slightest, listen to 2 Skinnee J's.

Do just one of those and come back and tell me that rap sucks. Then I'll listen to you.

EDIT: Completely unrelated DNB note, this is already the tune of 2011 for me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gbqc4G3Olv4&fmt=37

This is me when the bassline kicks in:

EDIT EDIT: If you come to CCSU on Friday, Thomas, I have those cards for you.

Top Bottom