• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
Football (The New England patriots ****ing defense.)
The Pats' defense sucks, and has sucked for a while now.
Why is MaNg0 the best? He does stupid off stage **** and no one can do anything about it.
If you knew **** all about this game you'd know that the best part of Mango's game is that he knows exactly what you're going to do and when you're going to do it. You play him for 5 minutes and he photographic memory's your entire game.

*generic zoso meatriding so that Garrett can quote it to show that the tool bad train is conspiring against him*
homie...

we all know we definitely are.
chugga chugga chugga chugga

Basically what I've been able to piece together is that you don't think Smash should be competitive because it doesn't fit the mold formed by conventional 2D fighters, which is dumb.

Garrett, I'm glad you found a new game to be bad at, but that doesn't mean you need to try to ruin Smash for everybody else. Please just stop posting this nonsense.
This. A thousand times this.

Every time POF goes off Dave is brave enough to take the bullet for the rest of us and do a point by point response. But this is getting really stupid. POF, you've said repeatedly that you're through with Smash and through with SWF and through with the CT thread. That's fine. None of us are going to lose sleep trying to win you back. But if you're going to say all that, stick by your own ****ing word and be done with it.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I am upset. The CT thread was going on about music again and then it got Poffed.
More music then?

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iD7lzlbkgEw&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iD7lzlbkgEw&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

memphischains

Smash hhkj'
Dazby claims another group of victims.

I suppose it's time for pof to insult us for not conforming to his viewpoints.
Then complain about the community and how we're not SRK.
I get people with the dazwasaur quite a bit.

I think I might make a dazwanite at some point

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
(Sigh)

Maybe someday you will realize why smash is a party game and all competitive communities hate smash and think its stupid. I think you should go to a blaz blue, sf, or basically any form of tournament and tell people that smash is a good game.

Heres a point for you Dave-SMASH DI out of uthrow to Uair. Once again, no combos in Melee. Everything is possible to escape from. Gimmicks that are DI dependent?

You said, "I never said Jigglypuff is the best" but you did say "Fox hasn't won a tournament in forever." Thus, that would be implying that characters who win tournaments are the best characters.

And to cover your point about jumping being good for fighters: It's good when you HIT CONFIRM a combo and launch them into the air. You dont run around hitting aerials and hoping one of them lands to begin some grab gimmick.

You yourself said to me once that "Melee is all about grabs." Hence why Melee runs by "Don't get grabbed." Well, what do we do from grabs?

It doesn't matter if Melee IS competitive or not. That's not the point I'm trying to make. You can make hot dog eating, typing, fast texting on a phone, or whatever the hell competitve that you want. Smash, should not be.

Also, I just came across this yesterday and forgot to post it.

<div id="bbr_start">Recommended Stage List</div>
The below Starter/Counter list has a list of three stages, followed by three sections of two stages each. In order to use this, start with the top three stages in the list, and adjust the starter list between 3 and 9 stages by going down the list and adding the next two stages until the desired number of stages is reached. Keep in mind that "Battlefield, Yoshi's Island, Smashville, Lylat Cruise, Pokémon Stadium" is a correct use of this, but "Battlefield, Yoshi's Island, Smashville, Lylat Cruise, Final Destination" is not. Go down the list; do not mix and match. Any remaining stages not used in the Starter list will be moved to the tournament's Counter list.

The Counter pick list is split into three "tiers" of stages. All counter picks listed should be considered and are preferably universally used. However stages of a higher tier (i.e. Frigate Orpheon / all unused starters) should be more prioritised in your tournament's rule set. The higher tier stages are more commonly seen in tournaments, each individual tier is explained further below.

The Banned list is a list of stages that should be universally banned from tournament play.

<table border="0" width="100%"><tr><td align="left">Starter / Counter Stages</td><td align="right"><a href="#bbr_menu">[ Top ]</a></td></tr></table><hr size="1" style="color:; background-color:" />
  • Battlefield
  • Yoshi's Island
  • Smashville
    Recommended for 3+ stage starter list

• Lylat Cruise
  • Pokémon Stadium
    Recommended for 5+ stage starter list

• Final Destination
  • Castle Siege
    Recommended for 7+ stage starter list

• Delfino Plaza
  • Halberd
    Recommended for 9 stage starter list

<table border="0" id="bbr_counter" width="100%"><tr><td align="left">

You're going to tell me that Brawl is a competitive game where the most NEUTRAL STAGE IN THE ENTIRE GAME is not a starter unless you plan on using 7 starter stages? (5 is usually the preferred amount in most smash games) A flat stage with no obstacles? No platforms? Nothing to avoid in the level?

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
(Sigh)

Maybe someday you will realize why smash is a party game and all competitive communities hate smash and think its stupid. I think you should go to a blaz blue, sf, or basically any form of tournament and tell people that smash is a good game.

That is a terrible idea, because then we'd look like the kind of ******* who would go to a smash tournament and spout useless dribble about SF4 to people who don't give a ****.

Heres a point for you Dave-SMASH DI out of uthrow to Uair. Once again, no combos in Melee. Everything is possible to escape from. Gimmicks that are DI dependent?

Whats your point?

You said, "I never said Jigglypuff is the best" but you did say "Fox hasn't won a tournament in forever." Thus, that would be implying that characters who win tournaments are the best characters.

WHats your point?

And to cover your point about jumping being good for fighters: It's good when you HIT CONFIRM a combo and launch them into the air. You dont run around hitting aerials and hoping one of them lands to begin some grab gimmick.

They're different games. Sorry!

You yourself said to me once that "Melee is all about grabs." Hence why Melee runs by "Don't get grabbed." Well, what do we do from grabs?

How should we know? We don't get grabbed.

It doesn't matter if Melee IS competitive or not. That's not the point I'm trying to make. You can make hot dog eating, typing, fast texting on a phone, or whatever the hell competitve that you want. Smash, should not be.

Oh. NOW I get it.
tl;dr:
Thank you for helping me realize the error of my ways. Where can I get the most expensive copy of street fighter 4 and the most expensive fight stick I can for it?

On second thought, stop typing and leave the CT Thread until you're capable of never talking about smash again, because you only get it wrong.

At the very least, come up with your own opinions on things instead of, as usual, basing your current standpoint on something based on the last intelligent thing you listened to on the subject.

-DD

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
REALLY? YOU'RE THE ONE SIGHING!?

(SIGH)

So other fighting game communities are elitist douchebags who never gave Melee a 2nd look? ok, cool, what was your point again?

Here's a point for you PoF-DAIR -> KNEE. Escape that *****. God, how the **** can you play smash for years and still argue that there aren't combos.

You listed Fox among 64 Pika and Brawl MK in what seemed like an effort to expose broken characters that dominate the game or something. Dave's point about Fox not winning a national tournament in years was a desperate attempt to point out to you that even though he's the best in the game, he's far from dominant. That's it. Dave's statement was, "Fox isn't dominant because he hasn't won in years" not "Being the best is determined by winning tournaments, Jiggs teh best!"

oh, you said "HIT CONFIRM" you must know what you're talking about. gtfo of here, you don't know **** about smash and I'd be willing to wager you don't know **** about the other fighters you're pretending to have some understanding of.

we throw them, then we combo them from that. sometimes we tech chase. sometimes we edgeguard.

WHAT IS YOUR POINT AGAIN!?

oh there's your point. wait, what? you're comparing smash to hot dog eating, typing and fast texting. well, I think Street Fighter 4 shouldn't be a competitive fighter, just like Tent Pitching, Beer Pong, and Interior Decorating shouldn't be competitive. herpdederp, I know how to argue!

what's your criteria for a competitive fighter again? inescapable combo punishes to ****? you dash attack CF's Shield. He dairs out of shield and knees you. What am I missing?

Also, I just came across this yesterday and forgot to post it.

You're going to tell me that Brawl is a competitive game where the most NEUTRAL STAGE IN THE ENTIRE GAME is not a starter unless you plan on using 7 starter stages? (5 is usually the preferred amount in most smash games) A flat stage with no obstacles? No platforms? Nothing to avoid in the level?
1. why are you talking about brawl?
2. why are you talking about modern brawl like you know what the **** is balanced?

Smash is competitive

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
I've gotta do the same thing, move my music/whatever else I want to keep to an external and then wipe my laptop for school. How'd your comp get messed up, though?
i dunno, i restarted it one day and everytime the computer loaded to the login screen it rebooted all over again. i finally got it to not reload on error and it said i had some registry missing. i guess i reset it when registry files were being changed but like...nothing was going on and no programs were open so wtfux.

also, I'm sorta in that lull with music, but Common and Common Market (completely unrelated hip hop groups) have been holding strong as what I wanna listen to.
i ****ing love common's flow. have you heard the questions with mos def? i've been listening to that a lot recently for some reason.

I've been listening to a lot more Disturbed and All That Remains lately, but Between the Buried & Me's 'Colors' album is still top notch, as is most of their music.

Anyway for someone who likes Metal/J-Rock what do you guys suggest?
i don't listen to much metal but in the few instances i'm in a metally mood, i usually put on:
helmet - meantime
pantera - cowboys from hell
obscura - cosmogenesis
i probably have quite a few more metal cds on my computer but...without access to it that's what comes off the top of my head.

I freaking love that cd, just gave it a recent listen in my car the other day. I need more bands to listen to in that genre, any suggestions? I'm not sure if you're familiar with Cinemechanica or Tera Melos, but they are both beast.
otg is now one of my favorite smashers. tera melos is awesome. i especially love on their first cd how the first two tracks not only sound, but flow into each other. it's pretty much the epitome of a perfect intro.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
i ****ing love common's flow. have you heard the questions with mos def? i've been listening to that a lot recently for some reason.
of course I've heard it. it's pretty chill, not my favorite, but I pretty much like anything featuring Mos Def. but yea, Common's flow is really interesting, kinda makes me wonder how he goes about writing his songs.

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
he and q-tip both have the same ordeal in that they have higher pitched nasally voices, which logically might not be very conducive to good hip-hop. however they both have such original and creative flows that are adapted perfectly to their lyrical composition and backbeats, more so common on the prior and q-tip on the latter...speaking of which:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLoscbxjcwU

also, on the subject of hip-hop, if anyone cares to listen to my crappy mashup album, tada:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ztyyqfzmmmm

ZoSo

Smash Champion
So after years of criticizing us for all thinking alike and being bandwagoners, now you're telling us we should stop playing Smash because it's unpopular in other communities?

Heres a point for you Dave-SMASH DI out of uthrow to Uair.
Uthrow > bair.

Once again, no combos in Melee.
Once again, you're ********.

Everything is possible to escape from. Gimmicks that are DI dependent?
Not everything is escapable. If you think Fox's uthrow > uair is gimmicky... Lol. I would expect this kind of drivel from a braindead 30-something SF player who hates Smash solely because it's different and never gave it a decent chance, but you've actually PLAYED this game.

So, just to clarify, you think Smash would be a better fighting game if it had mindless repeatable bnbs?

To me, DI is a big part of what makes Smash unique. It's a hell of a lot more interesting/dynamic than seeing the same bnb over and over in SSF4, or having a get out of jail free card like in BB/GG.

How does it imply that? What are you even talking about? Why did you bring up Fox in the first place?

And to cover your point about jumping being good for fighters: It's good when you HIT CONFIRM a combo and launch them into the air.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r75Lz1Drp8g

Watch the video. Jumping is central to the gameplay in KOF. Is KOF a bad game too?

You dont run around hitting aerials and hoping one of them lands to begin some grab gimmick.
Do you think running around doing aerials and hoping one of them lands is a big part of Smash? If so, that would explain why you're so ****ing terrible at it.

Again, you have no idea what a "gimmick" is in fighting game terms.

3S is all about grabs too, and that game has fewer grab combos than Smash by a longshot. Is 3S a bad game too?

Why? Because you think so? Because random SF/BB/GG/Tekken players who don't know anything about the game think so?

LOL so now flat = neutral?

You're dumb.

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
MF Doom still has the weirdest flow ever. Some of his songs I just can't get behind because his flow is so weird.

Common's nice, though, but I'm with Wes. Not my favorite.

That goes to Del. Del's flow just feels way too natural.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
tbh, I hate Doom's flow. I think MF Doom is whack and the only reason I really listen to him at all is because ****ing Danger Mouse is such a ****** that Danger Doom worked.

when I said not my favorite, I was talking about the song, The Questions, not Common in general. I dunno if Common's my favorite right now, but he's really high up there.

haven't really checked out enough Del to make a strong judgment on him.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
tbh, I hate Doom's flow. I think MF Doom is whack and the only reason I really listen to him at all is because ****ing Danger Mouse is such a ****** that Danger Doom worked.
I know next to nothing about hip hop, but Doom is one of the only artists I can listen to, precisely because of his unique flow (and good lyrics). What's bad about it?

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
Doom's very polarizing. You either love him or you hate him. Danger Mouse makes such amazing stuff, though... and Madlib's beats are what made Madvilliany as good as it was.

And Axel as odd as seeing Gorillaz live sounds, whenever Del does a live show he busts out the beat to Clint Eastwood and comes up with some crazy new couple verses on top of it. That's all the live Gorillaz I need.

Wes if you're feeling the older school stuff, I'd highly suggest "I Wish My Brother George Was Here," as that was Del's first album. Regardless of how you feel, though, give a listen to "Both Sides of the Brain," as he really kills it on that album.

Also, Souls of Mischief?

Justin Wong

Smash Rookie
I've also been getting into Blazblu, hoping we can get into some discussion about that game also.

So, whose the best Street Fighter player on here?

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
Even if melee didn't have guaranteed combo's, why would that be a point for why it wasn't competitive?

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
"combo" video I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoeDnbrkQq8

Everything in this video is escapable.

Random stuff I remember that should be noted to reply to because I'm too lazy to care about quoting

Dave- Third Strike is not all about Throws. It's about Option Selects and inputting a sequence of commands that best fits each given situation. You should know about option selects. You play third strike.

u throw bair?-DI/Smash DI in after the throw. Fox runs and tries to bair in front of him and misses. There is a counter to every situation.

KOF has both unsafe jumps and safe jumps. (I watched the video) The video also says to go play SF IV. LOL. Keep it coming Dave.

Also if Third Strike is all about throws....why isn't Alex or Hugo top tier? They are grapplers..... Its an important aspect to 3S...but its not all about throws. Ken? Yup, kara throw is bust.

Mogwai-We throw them and combo them? Falco throws and combos? The second best character in the game doesn't have a viable throw game. What fighting game experience or knowledge do you have outside of SMASH? You play Starcraft, warcraft or whatever the hell. Whoopty do and im sure you're good at it. You probably are. You dont know fighting games. You know FRAME DATA in smash. But do you know how to read frame data and understand it in a fighting game? What attacks you could link together to form a (here it is again) combo? Do you know when an attack is safe on block or when a character has frame advantage?

Knee to dair you said, right? Smash DI or tech the dair. Escapable. Even edge guarding has its ways around it too. Tech the ledge.

You want SF to not be competitive? Whats your argument for saying its not balanced/makes sense? I'll read it. Maybe it will be a valid argument.

Why am I talking about Brawl? Isn't Brawl/Smash 64/Melee generally the same series/game? They have differences but generally they pose the same concept. Build up percent, projectiles, knock them out, chain grabs, teams, different weight class, etc. Get the picture? oh yeah this is kind of funny too. Smash might be one of the only communities in which certain people hate different games of the same series. Thats also laughable. Because when SFIV came out and Blaz Blue CS came out the Vanilla fans hated it. Street Fighter had a spinoff series with EX plus, EX2, and EX3 but the new characters were not made by Capcom and were brought forth by Arika. Capcom pretty much just said "yeah, use our characters." and all the SF fans pretty much hate that game. For good reason too.

However, smash was made by the same people throughout the entire process.

Anything else you guys want to try to throw at me?

I'll be available to troll you all day.

Looks like you're just going to have to:

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
There's really no point in "throwing" anything at you since you willfully ignore the truth to the point of lunacy. People repeatedly throw facts, FACTS, in your face and you ignore them or sidestep them with horrible circular logic that makes no sense. It's like arguing with a ****ing pile of dirt.
You're either:
the biggest troll to ever exist
completely stupid
a sociopath

Top Bottom