• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

pockyD

Smash Legend
locke's first centric episode was the best episode in the series, especially because it came before all this current super-contrived riff-raff

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
I don't watch lost or any show which requires you to watch every episode to understand what is going on. I just don't have the time or dedication for it.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
Well I commuted to school and rather than sit on the school computers watching re runs of lost I played smash in the game room.

Better decision.

<3

thumbswayup

Smash Master
You're missing out by limiting yourself like that Pakman. I don't watch tv, stopped doing that around 3 years ago, but I made an exception back in '06 to watch the first season of Heroes. I kept up with it and it was my only hour of tv each week. It ended up being great and I enjoyed it a lot. I haven't seen a tv show since, but I'll blow through something like Lost in a week whenever I find the time to do so this summer. I also have three or four other shows recommended to me by friends that I need to watch.

The point is you should give something a try once in a while, you never know if you're going to end up liking it. Unless you really can't find the time to do so then it's understandable.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
To be fair, I did give heroes a try and I hated it. I watched most of the episodes of the first season for 1 hour every monday, just to see 55 minutes of filler and 5 minutes of action at the end of each episode. All the shows are like that in one way or another.

I would honestly rather read a book, where each chunk stops and starts where I choose. Shows like Lost abuse suspense to get you to watch the next episode. The last couple minutes always have some cliff hanger or something to make you "have" to watch the next episode. I don't want to watch a show because "I have to see the conclusion of last week." I want to be able to miss episodes here and there and not be completely confused when I decide to tune in.

Self contained tv shows can have seasons and running plots. A lot of crime dramas have ongoing sub-plots in a season, but each episode still has its own self contained plots

I am not going to claim that there isn't merit in the style of lost or anything. I am just saying it doesn't work for me.

I hate having to set aside a portion of my week to watch a television show.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Yeah, I don't do that anymore. I realized I despise waiting to find out what happens, so now I just wait for something to finish and have all the episodes ready to watch at any moment I choose. This is especially true with the few anime I watch from time to time. I never watch an anime that is currently running. I always wait for it to finish so I can watch all 26 eps in a few sittings if I want to.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
tl;dr

heroes season 1 was decent, season 2 was a ****fest that left me with a bitter taste in my mouf.

I don't really care for TV shows right now outside of 30 rock, daily show, and colbert report. Boondocks and Venture Bros will always get me when they're coming out with new stuff and I go in and out of soufpark phases. I haven't had the motivation or drive to watch anything else in awhile. I'm occassionally amused by How I Met Your Mother and Big Bang Theory, but I'm not invested in either show, I just see them sometimes with friends. (HIMYM is *** at this point outside of NPH, but OMG I WANT HIS BABIES )

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
@ Pak:

Again, Tivo, or online... you can pick whenever. Surely you have 42 min a week for 16 weeks a year free.

Also I find your complain about Lost's storytelling kind of ironic considering you said you'd rather read a book... You wouldn't skip a chapter in a book would you? Not even a page? I don't see the difference, especially when both are available to you all the time, any time you want.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
@ Pak:

Again, Tivo, or online... you can pick whenever. Surely you have 42 min a week for 16 weeks a year free.

Also I find your complain about Lost's storytelling kind of ironic considering you said you'd rather read a book... You wouldn't skip a chapter in a book would you? Not even a page? I don't see the difference, especially when both are available to you all the time, any time you want.
The point I was trying to make is that I don't like that style of television. Even if I had every episode of Lost on dvd, I still wouldn't like it because the chunks that they call an episode are in that 55 minute filler 5 minute suspense format. And it is hard to not want to see the next episode with that kind of suspense. But for me, the way you deliver suspense is almost as important as the suspense itself.

I generally end a segment of reading a book on a chapter (although I usually don't read just one). I can compare my dislike for Lost to my dislike for Dan Brown books. Dan Brown ends his chapters on cliff hangers and suspense builders. He changes perspectives (which to me is a big no no in 99% of books. It works in tv though) through out his books to increase suspense. Many people adore his writing. I feel like the suspense created is sort of hacked into the book rather than truly built.

As for the skipping pages and chapters, books are much more portable and accessible in any given day than television shows assuming you own the book. To me, sitting down and watching Lost would require a 45 minute chunk of my day. I am not going to watch a half episode. A book on the other hand could be 15 minutes to several hours. And the end of the book I can measure in pages i have to read rather than the end of a season which is measured in weeks I have to wait.

But I really want to make clear that my dislike for running television shows is a personal stubborn grudge. There are definite entertainment merits of a show with a running plot, I just can't get over certain quirks in the writing and the way the episodes are chunked.

pockyD

Smash Legend
heroes has actually always been garbage; it was just 'new and unique' at the start so people didn't realize it

watching through full seasons of stuff can be awesome though, and like books, you can control your own schedule with it

highly recommended for 24

thumbswayup

Smash Master
The first season of Heroes definitely had its flaws, but the story and characters was what made it great. Don't even get me started on the appalling dialouge. Absolutely CRINGE WORTHY. I did notice that some of the later episodes lost the energy that most of the show had.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
You're missing out by limiting yourself like that Pakman. I don't watch tv, stopped doing that around 3 years ago, but I made an exception back in '06 to watch the first season of Heroes. I kept up with it and it was my only hour of tv each week. It ended up being great and I enjoyed it a lot. I haven't seen a tv show since, but I'll blow through something like Lost in a week whenever I find the time to do so this summer. I also have three or four other shows recommended to me by friends that I need to watch.

The point is you should give something a try once in a while, you never know if you're going to end up liking it. Unless you really can't find the time to do so then it's understandable.
Tivo basically solves everything.
To be fair, I did give heroes a try and I hated it. I watched most of the episodes of the first season for 1 hour every monday, just to see 55 minutes of filler and 5 minutes of action at the end of each episode. All the shows are like that in one way or another.

I would honestly rather read a book, where each chunk stops and starts where I choose. Shows like Lost abuse suspense to get you to watch the next episode. The last couple minutes always have some cliff hanger or something to make you "have" to watch the next episode. I don't want to watch a show because "I have to see the conclusion of last week." I want to be able to miss episodes here and there and not be completely confused when I decide to tune in.

Self contained tv shows can have seasons and running plots. A lot of crime dramas have ongoing sub-plots in a season, but each episode still has its own self contained plots

I am not going to claim that there isn't merit in the style of lost or anything. I am just saying it doesn't work for me.

I hate having to set aside a portion of my week to watch a television show.
Yeah, I don't do that anymore. I realized I despise waiting to find out what happens, so now I just wait for something to finish and have all the episodes ready to watch at any moment I choose. This is especially true with the few anime I watch from time to time. I never watch an anime that is currently running. I always wait for it to finish so I can watch all 26 eps in a few sittings if I want to.
tl;dr

heroes season 1 was decent, season 2 was a ****fest that left me with a bitter taste in my mouf.

I don't really care for TV shows right now outside of 30 rock, daily show, and colbert report. Boondocks and Venture Bros will always get me when they're coming out with new stuff and I go in and out of soufpark phases. I haven't had the motivation or drive to watch anything else in awhile. I'm occassionally amused by How I Met Your Mother and Big Bang Theory, but I'm not invested in either show, I just see them sometimes with friends. (HIMYM is *** at this point outside of NPH, but OMG I WANT HIS BABIES )
@ Pak:

Heroes season 1 is ****ing amazing.

The story is beyond appealing and it is much better than a good 80% of the crap found on television whether it be Sopranos, (the most overrated HBO series of all time) Family Guy, (it stopped being good after season 3) Singing With The Stars, (American Idol crap spin off) American Idol, and anything presented through the news.

I stopped watching season 2 of Heroes 4 eps in. It was ****ing terrible.
I knew watching the trailer for the second season that it was going to be terrible. I stopped watching after I went through the first season box set but sometime, will go through two just so i understand the rest of it. I hear the rest of the seasons are good.

Oh and pushing daisies is incredible.

And so is Six Feet Under. If you have not watch that show ever, you fail.

Just because I'm extremely bored, some of the best television shows of all time

-original He-Man
-X-Men (90's)
-The Three Stooges (not the cartoon)
-The Simpsons (best show ever and still running strong for over 21 seasons)
-Ghostbusters
-Six Feet Under
-Gilligans Island (A comedy show that was funny, creative, and didnt need sex jokes to be funny.)
-Addams Family (black and white version. Extremely awkward/unique for its time.)
-Beavis And Butthead
-Salute Your Shorts
-Legend Of The Hidden Temple
-Goosebumps (one of the first "scary" television shows for kids. Was Are you afraid firsT???)
-Spiderman (60's)
-Flintstones
-Jetsons (a futuristic cartoon show that was beyond imaginative and funny)

oh yeah and the best show was : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1pRqedIgZw

LOL, I'm definitely ****ing kidding.

omegawhitemage

BRoomer
BRoomer
Dr. Gregory House is still the best hour I spend watching TV each week...or in the case of it being in between seasons, the best hour or few I spend watching random TV online(or on dvd)

Does anyone here watch Avatar the last airbender?

pockyD

Smash Legend
people actually think heroes was good? :(

i'll admit it was a guilty pleasure but i was very aware of how stupid it was the entire time; it was simply compelling because it wasn't so overtly obvious that they had no idea what they were doing yet (when a twist is "open", it's not yet a plot hole; only when they try to close it is it officially stupid)

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
people actually think heroes was good? :(

i'll admit it was a guilty pleasure but i was very aware of how stupid it was the entire time; it was simply compelling because it wasn't so overtly obvious that they had no idea what they were doing yet (when a twist is "open", it's not yet a plot hole; only when they try to close it is it officially stupid)
na, I agree with you, but actually only in retrospect. While watching season 1 the first time, I was fully convinced it was good aside some glaringly terrible dialog. In retrospect though, it was pretty poorly executed.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I should've, but I wanted to finish FFIV before I started another RPG on my DS and I never play it outside of traveling, so FFIV took awhile. I also was a stubborn ******* and refused to use augments in an attempt to recreate my childhood experience with FFIV. While it was a success for the most part, it apparently also made my characters level really stupidly at the end (since leveling is all whacky after 70 in the DS version) which made zeremous a real *****.

anyway, this thread has failed to entertain me in the past 10 minutes, CTDS time.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Dr. Gregory House is still the best hour I spend watching TV each week...or in the case of it being in between seasons, the best hour or few I spend watching random TV online(or on dvd)

Does anyone here watch Avatar the last airbender?
I LOVE HOUSE.
SO. GOOD.

I also watched Avatar The Last Airbender. The finale/movie thing was epic.

I liked Heroes when it was called XMen
Lolololol...

Also;
I'm rewatching all of Red v. Blue. Too good.
-DD

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
The point I was trying to make is that I don't like that style of television. Even if I had every episode of Lost on dvd, I still wouldn't like it because the chunks that they call an episode are in that 55 minute filler 5 minute suspense format. And it is hard to not want to see the next episode with that kind of suspense. But for me, the way you deliver suspense is almost as important as the suspense itself.

I generally end a segment of reading a book on a chapter (although I usually don't read just one). I can compare my dislike for Lost to my dislike for Dan Brown books. Dan Brown ends his chapters on cliff hangers and suspense builders. He changes perspectives (which to me is a big no no in 99% of books. It works in tv though) through out his books to increase suspense. Many people adore his writing. I feel like the suspense created is sort of hacked into the book rather than truly built.

As for the skipping pages and chapters, books are much more portable and accessible in any given day than television shows assuming you own the book. To me, sitting down and watching Lost would require a 45 minute chunk of my day. I am not going to watch a half episode. A book on the other hand could be 15 minutes to several hours. And the end of the book I can measure in pages i have to read rather than the end of a season which is measured in weeks I have to wait.

But I really want to make clear that my dislike for running television shows is a personal stubborn grudge. There are definite entertainment merits of a show with a running plot, I just can't get over certain quirks in the writing and the way the episodes are chunked.
*shrug* sounds like you just don't enjoy the medium of serialized television, which I can respect.
Though I will say if all you see in an average Lost ep is 40 min of filler and 5 of important stuff (tv shows aren't actually 60 mins long :p ) then you're not... right.... there is incredible character development, humor, sowing seeds for future plots etc etc all throughout most eps.
I actually think it's a credit to Lost that they can have each ep be somewhat of a contained story (beginning middle end) and end each one on a beat that makes you CRAVE the next ep. After all making you want to keep tuning in is kind of the point of TV...
It's just that their "cop show subplot" is their PLOT.

Oh yeah, my wife told me about the Dan Brown cliffhanger thing... she said it was completely ******** and completely over the top which is an important distinction to make. Having "Henry Gale" say "You guys got any milk?" is not a DUN DUN DUNNNNNN Dan Brown cliffhanger. (Season 2 episode reference of a great "cliffhanger" where nothing really cliffhangery happened at all)

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
I say there should be a TV show revolving around CogSmooch, his beard, and his current lack of one.

Top Bottom