• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Connecticut Player Finder: We're better than you <3

ZoSo

Smash Champion
I posted this in the SBR registry awhile ago.

Name: Dave Hughes
Age/Birthday: 20/April 5, 1987
Crew: I would say Ninja Turtles if it weren't for Hayato and KJ being frozen in time.
Self Rating: 7.9/10, on the brink of being good
Main Tournament Character(s): Falcon, Marth
Favorite Fun Character(s): Falcon, Samus, Ganon, Peach, Marth, Sheik, Fox, Falco, Doc, Luigi, Young Link, Roy, everybody else to a lesser extent
Best Skills/Abilities: Moonwalking, above average tech skill, close proximity to extremely gifted players, game knowledge, fast learner, guitar lasers
Weaknesses: Attitude, patience, common sense
Travel for Tournaments? How Far?: Yes. As far as I can reasonably go.
Best Tournament Placing (Singles/Teams): 2nd/1st
Notable Tournaments Attended: RI Smashfest, GS2, Esticle series, NEPA, Gauntlet, Zenith, Cataclysm 2&3

I never really thought too hard about the bolded part until just now. We have PC Chris, M2K, KDJ, Cort, and Darc all crammed together in an area roughly half the size of Texas (I am very generously including all of New York and the total area of places like MA and RI that are >25% water), along with a few dozen other extremely talented players. CT is pretty much smack in the middle of it all. It's not all that bad, really.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Yeah, it's really not. I would say that, with the possible exception of MD/VA, the area you just described is the best area for Smash in the country, if not the world. Like you pointed out, states like Texas and Cali are huge, to the point where NorCal and SoCal might as well be different states.

And that's the whole point honestly: does getting rocked OoS make you better than getting rocked in state? Like you said, other states come in and own our tournaments. We can't defend the home turf, so the rest is pretty much irrelevant.

EDIT- In other news, I'm playing Disgaea DS, and I'm about to reincarnate my Red Mage. Should I make her a Blue Mage or a Mage Knight? I'm leaning towards Mage Knight, but I already have two sword people.

Zombie Lucille Ball

Smash Master
It actually is pretty crazy... when I was ramping up to get into the competitive smash scene (before my first tournament), I got into following the top national professional results. This was at the height of the old MLG/FC days. And then nearly all of my early tournies were populated with KDJ and PC and Cort... I mean hell, I went to like 5 Maine tourneys with KDJ and PC Chris. MAINE. There were probably poor dudes all around the country living in like Louisiana or Arkansas who would have given their left nut to play either.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
It actually is pretty crazy... when I was ramping up to get into the competitive smash scene (before my first tournament), I got into following the top national professional results. This was at the height of the old MLG/FC days. And then nearly all of my early tournies were populated with KDJ and PC and Cort... I mean hell, I went to like 5 Maine tourneys with KDJ and PC Chris. MAINE. There were probably poor dudes all around the country living in like Louisiana or Arkansas who would have given their left nut to play either.
*raises hand*

I never got to play KDJ :(

trademark0013

Smash Champion
Not wanting to travel =/= not wanting to improve. Ironically enough, the best people in CT (Brookman, Nus, Pipe) are the ones that travel the least.

IT DOES IN THIS STATE BECAUSE YOU GOTTA DO WHATS NECESSARY, AND THE COMPETITION HERE IS GARBAGE. ALSO, NO OFFENSE, BUT I DISAGREE HEAVILY WITH THAT LIST OF TOP 3.

I've always been skeptical of the necessity for OoS tournaments in determining skill. If you want to be recognized on a regional level, then of course you have to attend regional events. But most of us in CT still can't beat Brookman, so why worry about doing well OoS if you can't even do well in-state?

BECAUSE YOU LEARN MORE GOING OOS. AND THAT POINT OF BEATING BROOKMAN IS NOT A GOOD MINDSET TO HAVE. GMONEY CANT BEAT JMAN. JFOX CANT BEAT EGGM. SO IS THAT TO SAY THEY SHOULDNT GO OOS FOR TOURNEYS?

Garrett, before you can really complain about CT Smash, you have to beat some of us. My post a while ago wasn't bashing CT Smash, but was just a (thinly veiled, I thought) rant against Brawl. KevinM and Zoso live in the wasteland of RI, and I don't think I've seen them complain ever about lack of tournaments. It should be a requirement that before anyone complains about CT Smash or mentions how much they travel, that they be able to place top 3 in an in-state event. Otherwise, it's really just meaningless.

I DISAGREE. WHILE POFFYS STATEMENTS ARENT ALWAYS ACCURATE/ACCEPTED, I DO SEE THAT 1. HE DOES WANT TO GET BETTER, A LOT MORE THAN I CAN SAY FOR THE REST OF THE STATE, AND 2. THERE IS SOME VALIDITY IN HIS COMPLAINT. ALSO, BY THOSE RULES, VERY FEW PEOPLE CAN COMPLAIN.
this whole ct smash thing is stupid.

garrett: the only reason people are really jus writing you posts off about it is because we've been through it before, to no avail. to put it bluntly, most of ct views this game as some sort of social gateway. people say they wanna get better, but in reality they don't. they've shown no dramatic improvement over the last year. there are very few people you should take seriously when talking about the topic of "getting better."

basically its what zoso said. if people dont wanna play or get better, its all good. but when you get *****, dont use the whole "i havent played this game seriously" or "o ct smash sux" johns.

jus because people dont wanna get better, dont take away the enjoiment for the ones who have/want to

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Rhode Island is kind of a special case in that it's basically a suburb of Connecticut and Mass. I wouldn't mind having more tournaments within 20 minutes of me, but I'm smart enough to recognize that I have it a lot better than players in Texas who have to drive 4 hours to get to the next town.

And yeah, I'm sure I'm better than the vast majority of CT players, but I really don't regard my own opinion as having more weight than anybody else's.
I'd like to point out that me and Dave talk about this game a lot and also really want to improve, I think thats what helps us out, is just a drive and the fact that we hate to lose. Plus being able to play each other often until he got kicked out helped.

Idk Rhode Island is weird, the skill gap between me and Dave and maybe Lowell idk Dave would have to tell me how good Yo-Yo still is so much higher then everyone else in RI all like 10 of us -_- I just spent like 8 hours playing Varioala and tried teaching him but I'm terrible at teaching things I miss Kyle, and btw this isn't meant to sound like some kind of bragfest, I just think that you can get better with some sort of drive. I hate to lose therefore I'm going to want to get better, if you complain then you won't. I barely play this game unless it's at tournies or with Dave and the main reason I improve is talking and thinking about the game.

Read: Dave is definitely amazing at this game, and he continues to improve with the close proximity of really good players, and if he wants to get better he will, it all comes down to the drive... and hopefully he'll help me with my goal as well.

tl;dr Rhode Island smashers at least the ones that are truly improving, high placing, just care about the game to a point where we talk about it and understand the logic behind it.

I feel like I'm bragging when I really am not trying to.
Not wanting to travel =/= not wanting to improve. Ironically enough, the best people in CT (Brookman, Nus, Pipe) are the ones that travel the least.

Because those aforementioned players simply understand the game and have played good competition for the longest time, aside from that they're just simply smart, but good point so far.

I still love Smash, but I don't love being in a car for hours. I'm a local Smasher; I've only gone OoS for tournaments like twice, and that was to Mass. I've always been skeptical of the necessity for OoS tournaments in determining skill. If you want to be recognized on a regional level, then of course you have to attend regional events. But most of us in CT still can't beat Brookman, so why worry about doing well OoS if you can't even do well in-state?

I actually really agree with this, I can't beat Dave still, I travel because I want to face other competition but if you can't beat some of the best in your state why would you want to travel, success ripples outward, beat your state, beat your region, beat the nation.

Garrett, before you can really complain about CT Smash, you have to beat some of us. My post a while ago wasn't bashing CT Smash, but was just a (thinly veiled, I thought) rant against Brawl.

KevinM and Zoso live in the wasteland of RI, and I don't think I've seen them complain ever about lack of tournaments.

Mainly again because we travel and/or play each other when possible.

It should be a requirement that before anyone complains about CT Smash or mentions how much they travel, that they be able to place top 3 in an in-state event. Otherwise, it's really just meaningless.

I wouldn't say meaningless, but I definitely agree that with CT tournaments going how they are you should be able to beat a majority of people in your own state scene before complaining how it's dying.

Edit: Not saying I agree with the top3 or disagree btw just using your example.

And nice post trade.

_V_

Smash Ace
I think Jam meant potential when he posted those top 3 people...the only people I can think of with as much potential are MikeMoney and ZK.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
I haven't posted in this thread for awhile...

My life's mad hectic right now and I might not even be able to make No John's ANMC opener on Nov 1, so if it seems like I've fallen off the face of the smash world, it's mostly because I have. I'm hoping that come SPOC in December, I'll have my life settled down enough to get back into things.

Also, happy birfday Pikachu.

EDIT:
I think Jam meant potential when he posted those top 3 people...the only people I can think of with as much potential are MikeMoney and ZK.
Potential is inherently immeasurable, please don't try to rate people by potential.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
TT_TT I still play lots of smash thank you very much. I just prefer to be with Sandra when I do it, or just like, not actually pay any fricken' entrance fees or something gay like that.

Heck, I'd rather not pay for anything more than gas and food when playing smash.

>_> I don't win tournaments, I don't even place well, so all tournaments effectively do for me is drain money and cut down on my playing time.

then stop making bad posts.

Anyways, Ken wavedashed all over that obstacle course last night.... him & matty = top tier
HELLZ YEA.
Sounds like he is going to make it to the merge too.

Yeah I live in MD. I'm sure all the amazing players I smash with would like to go, but the probably is no one really wants to drive that far. It's hard to find a ride.
You can always meatride your way up.
Give NL a call, he knows where its at.
-DD

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
I can vouch for KevinM's improvement, he's gotten really good lately, and it's noticeable from only playing a few games with him.

edit: Playing against KDJ in either smash game is some of the most fun I've had playing a video game. thats that meatridin

Papito

Smash Journeyman
this whole ct smash thing is stupid.

garrett: the only reason people are really jus writing you posts off about it is because we've been through it before, to no avail. to put it bluntly, most of ct views this game as some sort of social gateway. people say they wanna get better, but in reality they don't. they've shown no dramatic improvement over the last year. there are very few people you should take seriously when talking about the topic of "getting better."

basically its what zoso said. if people dont wanna play or get better, its all good. but when you get *****, dont use the whole "i havent played this game seriously" or "o ct smash sux" johns.

jus because people dont wanna get better, dont take away the enjoiment for the ones who have/want to
i feel like ive gotten better and i dont take this game that serious. i just hardly play with people cuz i dont know anyone that plays smash besides the people here.

noodles

Smash Champion
im trying to get better

also this morning when my mom was on her way back from bringing a few things to work. she parked next to a van 3 guys were going into. as she opened the door one of them ran and the other two chased after shooting them. holy ****. the 2 guys got caught though but ****

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Quick thinking = Duck and Cover.
=] Glad shes fine Noodles.

>_> We'll probably see it on the news tonight!
-DD

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Oh, guys.
You know that eXistenZ movie I posted about?
Yea, I saw the ending of it today, and that **** just about ****ed my mind up 57349547839x worse than the matrix did.
>_>. Its pretty rough.
-DD

SPAWN

Smash Master
Slippi.gg
spaw#333
I just played Melee with Lock all night last night. Too good. Time to do the same with Brookman and Alex... and go to a haunted walk thingy.

Top Bottom