• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Confirmed - Zelda's multi hits escapable. Again.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Up Smash is always escapable when the opponent does the method correctly, except if Usmash hits late, and doesn't provide a window for them to S-DI out. Backwards or not, you can escape it. And that = a piddly 4 damage, a stale move count on that attack, and what is essentially a wasted opening/KO opportunity.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
It sounds like upsmash and fsmash are in pretty bad shape. And it is strange they picked Zelda to do multihit smashes.
But do you know if her upsmash completely decays if it's escaped? It's a multi hit move. So if parts a and b hit, and not c, is c still fresh as ever? If it is, that is a significant difference: part c would still have totally normal knockback, and part c does all the knockback anyhow.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
Interesting idea. And if the weak hits got even weaker, the attack would in theory become more and more difficult to escape. However, whenever I've seen move decay talked about it's always in terms of an attack, not an individual hit. Perhaps someone else knows for sure.

ShardZ

Smash Cadet
err.. how do you escape u.smash? I've been trying to do it in a controlled environment with sheik & metaknight and haven't been able to get out of it once. I can see that it's possible to move around slightly during it, but not enough to escape it.. and this is without having to react to it in an actual match.

I can certainly see that this weakens her f.smash but I'm not about to cry about 1 move not being amazing when she has so much going for her..

ShardZ

Smash Cadet
DI upwards to escape her Usmash and away from her to escape her Fsmash.
DIing upwards does absolutely nothing to u.smash far as I can tell. what situation(s) and with what character(s) were you able to do this?
You're blatantly wrong about escaping f.smash. DIing away guarantees the last hit, DIing up consistantly gets out of it. This is true regardless of what situation you do it in.
Feel free to clarify, but if you have no idea what you're talking about then please just don't reply.

Venusdude21

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure how i did it, but today playing as lucas i escaped her USmash 4 times in a row. While it led me to a win, it wasn't fair to the Zelda character, and why would Nintendo let this happen?

On the other hand, Din's Fire is so amazing now so it sort off makes up for it.

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
DIing upwards does absolutely nothing to u.smash far as I can tell. what situation(s) and with what character(s) were you able to do this?
You're blatantly wrong about escaping f.smash. DIing away guarantees the last hit, DIing up consistantly gets out of it. This is true regardless of what situation you do it in.
Feel free to clarify, but if you have no idea what you're talking about then please just don't reply.
Well, admittedly I haven't done it myself but my information came from Ryoko.

RyokoYaksa (AIM) said:
Zelda's Usmash you want to escape by Smash DI'ing up
if you're a small character, you can also do it by DI'ing down
for Fsmash, go anywhere that isn't towards Zelda for the floor
EDIT: Meant to combine these two posts. Oh well. :ohwell:

ShardZ

Smash Cadet
Ah, thank you. I'll definitely have to get into the habit of using her tilts more.

Arashi

Smash Cadet
This makes me growl, whimper, and cry a little bit.

Her smashes aren't too easy to escape from, are they?

blizzard138

Smash Apprentice
Don't ****ing ***** about Zelda seriously. Her upsmash kills at a lower percent than Ikes. Also, when the person is off the stage just spam the fireball thing. AND if they try to counter it if theyre marth/ike just let the fireball go behind them a little bit then activate it. Shes ****ing rediculously good.

D

Deleted member

If you think I will leave Zelda behind, then die. I'm still a die-hard Zelda fan, and she my favorite character ever in the Smash Bros. series. But when trying to play her competitively, you get infuriated very easily when attacks like these are "traps" for those who think they are good attacks at first glance. It's a slap in the face to Zelda users, and a bigger slap in the face to those who try to play her in any kind of serious setting. Zelda was only good enough for gimmicks in Melee, but consistent Fsmashes and Usmashes gave Zelda that many more options.

And I don't think you're entirely observant of what this actually means. Smash DI still exists in this game. Even though Diddy and smaller characters can just normal DI to escape it, larger characters can Smash DI out. And trust me, good players will be able to that consistently, or all the time, with the hit lag these moves have. It's basically two moves that you can't use. So, Zelda had to suffer with an ultimately useless Fsmash/Usmash in Melee for 6 years. She will have to do the same with Brawl for another 6+ years. Note my anger. If you cannot appreciate it, then you have not seen what I have seen.
Let's talk about being fans and slaps, shall we? I have always said for melee zelda "pick blue, kick more". Let's review 2 things that got nerfed:

1. Ugly blue costume.
2. bad kicks, namely smaller hitboxes, move decay, and what I affectionately refer to as "SMASH DI HERE" frames.

Things that got buffed:

1. her marginally useful down air
2. .....end list

At least in melee, you have 2 things going for you smash wise:

1. if your opponent DIs out of sidesmash, you can still downsmash for surprise factor to keep the advantage.
2. you can simply choose not to upsmash, altering it with WD out of shield or dashdance grab (or both).

So basically, aside from her bad costumes and now brown hair, zelda didn't change much.

You know who did? Ness. Ness was actually fixed, but so much changed that they made a new character with all of the changes called Lucas. Nintendo **** on Ness players, as "lucas" in english actually means "this is what ness could have been, **** you". Really, the difference can't even be compared. That's a slap.

Melee Blue Zelda will probably always be my favorite character in any game, but I simply can't play her in brawl. I just can't.

Juicy

Smash Apprentice
look dont worry about it, zelda is still a soild character who was majorly buffed from melee, being one of the ones who really needed it. now zelda could be as good as a melee shiek..... just be glad zelda was nerfed like one or two moves whom the character really needed "coughjigglypoof'sleepcough".

Top Bottom