• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Confessions of a Mario Main

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
My 2nd main is the one guy most Mario mainers hate: Ness :(.
Nah, Marios don't hate Ness, they just don't respect him.

I'm kind of the opposite, I use Ness more than Mario, but they're the only ones I do use.
Mario for tournies, Ness for friendlies.

Aura_Fear

Smash Cadet
I often use Mario's up B on FD and go into the gap while thinking I'd hit the ledge.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I have a confession...

This Ness utterly ***** my **** the other day. I was so ashamed. That Bthrow is insane.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I really don't think you guys give Ness enough credit. Sure. Lol @ Ness and all, but if you play someone that knows what they're doing, it's a real challenege.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
You might be right...
Ah well. He's still cool.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
That's a lie Matador! >:O

Who's this "Ness" player?
G-reg, lol. He doesn't even main him. He's a smart player.

I really don't think you guys give Ness enough credit. Sure. Lol @ Ness and all, but if you play someone that knows what they're doing, it's a real challenege.
In all honesty, Ness is a pretty good character imo. There's a few matchups where I think he'd be a much better choice than Mario (Snake and D3 come to mind...), it just didn't help that when the Ness vs Mario discussion came around, that the Ness boards went ballistic when we claimed that Fludd gimps Ness reliably. Some denied it saying that good Ness players "recover low" or "can stall with downB" to deal with it, some wanted to disregard gimping completely in the matchup ratio, NONE really agreed.

After awhile...they kinda lost their credibility in discussing the matchup, they made outrageous claims and everyone just seemed biased. Things got frustrating, so we just decided that "Lol @ Ness" was the way to go....then we made that thread...lol...then Kanzaki made that post...

Boredom does things to you

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
G-reg, lol. He doesn't even main him. He's a smart player.

In all honesty, Ness is a pretty good character imo. There's a few matchups where I think he'd be a much better choice than Mario (Snake and D3 come to mind...), it just didn't help that when the Ness vs Mario discussion came around, that the Ness boards went ballistic when we claimed that Fludd gimps Ness reliably. Some denied it saying that good Ness players "recover low" or "can stall with downB" to deal with it, some wanted to disregard gimping completely in the matchup ratio, NONE really agreed.

After awhile...they kinda lost their credibility in discussing the matchup, they made outrageous claims and everyone just seemed biased. Things got frustrating, so we just decided that "Lol @ Ness" was the way to go....then we made that thread...lol...then Kanzaki made that post...

Boredom does things to you
I wasn't here for that, but I did read a little of the thread. I felt conflicted since I use both, lol. Sounds like a mess. But it doesn't matter any more, I guess. Nobody'll be playing Brawl in a month except me, and I'll probably complain about how I fight 11 Marths every day.

I might go back to Halo, if this keeps up. I was getting into the competitive scene and actually did pretty well...
Sakurai screwed us over big time.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Ahh... G-reg's just a good player xD

I was gonna post "Only way Ness would beat Mario is through mindgames".. I haven't seen G-reg in Brawl yet, but he has enough Melee credibility to back his mindgames up :]

And what Edrees once told me before.. he plays Brawl Ness like Melee Falcon.. so makes sense xD

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Ahh... G-reg's just a good player xD

I was gonna post "Only way Ness would beat Mario is through mindgames".. I haven't seen G-reg in Brawl yet, but he has enough Melee credibility to back his mindgames up :]

And what Edrees once told me before.. he plays Brawl Ness like Melee Falcon.. so makes sense xD
lol, I've beaten his Ness before (not bragging or anything, he'd prolly **** my shiz offline) so it's not like he constantly beats me. I probably win the majority, but he's not far behind at all

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I also have a confession... I... don't think this is a useful thread. :psycho:
Oh, and I'm guilty of posting too much.

Da Man

Smash Lord
NNID
Tendoman77
^Agreed

Guys take it from someone who mains both Mario and Ness: the latter is not that bad if you use him right.
Trust me i'm getting the hang of using PK Thunder in lag now, and I really do good with that deadly spike of his.

I use Mario for the serious competition though, been practicing more with him along with Ness a lot this week.

Now someone let this G-reg guy know that I want to challenge him to a Ness ditto, i'm dying to see his way of using Ness.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I wish I could say the same about my Ness. :(
I also use Bee, and usually SD a little early. But lag also means free PKT2 kills. ;D

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Sounds good, although my Ness and Mario are trash online, so don't expect much.
I'm just worried about the lag, though. Let's try later. Since I live in the US.

Da Man

Smash Lord
NNID
Tendoman77
Sounds good, although my Ness and Mario are trash online, so don't expect much.
I'm just worried about the lag, though. Let's try later. Since I live in the US.
Well you live on the east coast and I live in South-West England, so the lag shouldn't be that bad.

Let's not talk about this anymore here since it is going off topic, and I apoligise to all if we dragged on for a bit too long.

Ismael

Smash Ace
I have a confession...

This Ness utterly ***** my **** the other day. I was so ashamed. That Bthrow is insane.
The exact same thing happened to me. Stunning with PK Fire then into bthrow or fsmash is too good. But what annoys me more is Ness' darn spike. He always seems to land it if you go for the ledge.

And I get sloppy when trying to stop his PK Thunder on stage. I try to cape it or something but he always manages to blast me away upon the start up...

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Another reason why I'm glad I use Ness... :)

Ismael, never cape the PKT, always use Fludd. Even if it's not fully charged, charge it for maybe a second, and it'll push him far enough away for you to cape. And that reminds me. I've been getting lazy, I need to update the Mario moveset discussion.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Try using FLUDD on the PK Fire projectile, it'll trigger it early, however, it'll still be under Ness's control at this point so you'll either need to avoid it or cape it while it's still out.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
And you don't take any crap for maining a character that relies on food products to win...?

Ismael

Smash Ace
I dropped Mario, too much bull**** to deal with when maining him.
My secondary is Diddy, but I would never drop Mario as my main, no matter how much Diddy seems to be better, and even if Mario isn't very good. It's easy to be good with MK and top tier characters like Diddy but Mario is just too awsome, low tier or not. I love making Diddy players go "wtf?" when I backwards glide toss and dribble with Mario using their bananas.

Confession: I got so used to my Melee Mario that at first I was afraid to ledgedrop into fair in Brawl because I thought there would be no way Mario would make it back to the ledge... I was wrong. Now I can do all kinds of crazy shizz off stage. But when I revert back to Melee I can't do half of the stuff I did in Brawl and I end up SDing... But I still like faster Mario.

Kanzaki

Smash Champion
Pk fire is easy to deal with, smash DI out, and then cape the fire... 95% of the time the Ness will run to try to grab you, but instead will get hit by his own fire =/

Ismael

Smash Ace
Can he space himself so his fsmash reaches through the fire once he figures this out? I can picture a good Ness quickly stopping in front of the fire and smashing me with his bat or yo-yo after my cape. But I should still try that.

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Yeah, normally, I'd use Diddy because of how good he is, but I get sick of the banana comboes. Just... glide toss - dash attack + random aerial. With Mario, every character needs to be played a different way.

Diddy's just boring for me.

I actually meet about 5 other Mario mains at my LOL Monthlies, we usually form teams and dominate pools. Only 30+ people show up, which is pretty cool, since Mario's the 2nd most represented.

vato_break

Smash Master
other marios in my area...kanzaki,ronin.yeah those are the only marios that are good around here the rest really aern't as beastly. some other marios appear here there every once in a while.

terry12312

Smash Rookie
I like luigi tons more but I just can't get used to his spike, floatiness and not having fludd and cape so I stick with mario >_>

Top Bottom