• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

COMPLETELY VANILLA Mafia | Game Over

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Yeah I am going to agree to disagree. Open a thread to discuss it if you want Osie.

osieorb18

Smash Ace
Well, I guess the mod has to apply "I know it when I see it" rather than any rigorous definition :)
I've talked about this with a lot of different hosts and pondered it myself. And in the end the most rigorous definitions, and what "I know it when I see it" comes down to, amount to:

"The only way to play against your win condition within standard mafia roles is to claim mafia and claim your teammates, regardless of your alignment."

BoomFrog

Smash Lord
Xivii I’m voting you because you are either scum or an absolute dumbass. I’m hesitant to believe you’re an absolute dumbass
Xivii, I’m not calling you a dumbass. I’m calling scum a dumbass because I’m perfectly comfortable with doing so. It just so happens that the two happen to align for this game.
So this is, in my opinion, the most fraught part of mafia. The "Dumb or Scum" read, or the quantum insult. UtopianPoyzin UtopianPoyzin I know you made this post with the 100% conviction that Xivii was scum, so you didn't consider this an insult. But your second quote is completely false. You were saying Xivii is either scum or dumb. You were calling town-Xivii dumb and using that as evidence that town-xivii didn't exist.

I just want to remind everyone to be carefuly with DoS language. Always consider that your target might actually be town. You can say they misplayed if they are town, but don't say they were stupid. It's easy to insult a hypothetical that you don't think exists, but you should make a habit of not insulting any version of someone.

Chaco

Never Logs In
On the flip side, lower amounts of content mean that you are less likely to leap on something incorrect. Town players have the occasional scumtell. Scum players have the occasional towntell.

Looking at all players, including the lurkers, and trying to draw blood out of a stone on a read on them on Day 1 is GOOD TOWN PLAY.
I work in the complete opposite way, greater amounts of content allow for consistency to be formed.

osieorb18

Smash Ace
I work in the complete opposite way, greater amounts of content allow for consistency to be formed.
This is ALSO true. But dismissing your ability to read someone because they are low content is handicapping yourself as a player.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Not sure, I’ll get back to you when I find out.
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
So this is, in my opinion, the most fraught part of mafia. The "Dumb or Scum" read, or the quantum insult. UtopianPoyzin UtopianPoyzin I know you made this post with the 100% conviction that Xivii was scum, so you didn't consider this an insult. But your second quote is completely false. You were saying Xivii is either scum or dumb. You were calling town-Xivii dumb and using that as evidence that town-xivii didn't exist.

I just want to remind everyone to be carefuly with DoS language. Always consider that your target might actually be town. You can say they misplayed if they are town, but don't say they were stupid. It's easy to insult a hypothetical that you don't think exists, but you should make a habit of not insulting any version of someone.
For some god-forsaken reason I thought that acting like an obnoxious, brash child was a good idea, which it was not. I was aware of the **** coming out of my mouth but didn’t hesitate to say it anyway. And for that, I’m sorry to anybody that I made uncomfortable this game from directly or indirectly insulting them.

Chaco

Never Logs In
This is ALSO true. But dismissing your ability to read someone because they are low content is handicapping yourself as a player.
I’ll claim the handicap there, because it takes interaction for me to form reads.

osieorb18

Smash Ace
I’ll claim the handicap there, because it takes interaction for me to form reads.
Essentially, the amount of content should affect the strength of your read, and to a degree lower content can be scummier, but unless someone is legitimately posting zero posts, there's always something there, and saying "There's no way to form a read outside of content" is inaccurate. Saying "My read will be weaker", sure. But that's what getting better at the game is all about. Being able to make a more reliable read on very little. Yes, I made mistakes this game. But I also had a correct solve by the end of Day 1, and that's directly what led to my death on Night 1. Frozen made clear that mafia was afraid of me. And I was able to get that solve because I had an open mind and I didn't handicap myself.

And I absolutely didn't angleshoot such as saying that I should wait for a replacement.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I think talking out why you felt Frozen-Somi was unlikely was an important avenue you overlooked, and you (Boom) were still considering if Somi was covering up with excuses or not. Just curious why you didn't actually see what I was saying with Somi.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Like Sabrar says, I should not have voted outside of a thunder dome (I didn't think too deeply about it) and tried to consider that pairing as well for the future so that all options are cross checked.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
Like Sabrar says, I should not have voted outside of a thunder dome (I didn't think too deeply about it) and tried to consider that pairing as well for the future so that all options are cross checked.
If it makes it better, you voting for me would have ended the game anyway, so I do appreciate your hesitation.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
My goal was to aggressively try to convince UP I was town to see how far I can go. I don't seem to have a good skill in persuasion, so that was also why I was intent on less voting and more discussion.

I would appreciate any critique on my play. Thank you.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I think next time, from learning our lessons here, I am sure we could probably discover scum and win.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I have used to tunnel a lot and when I read those games over, I thought to myself "How did I miss that?" and so I tried being more flexible with my reads. Yet that also became a problem of where I'd 'flip' my reads and then people have a hard time reading me even if I'm the top town.

UtopianPoyzin

Smash Master
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW 1975-0838-2970
I do think this was an improvement for you, yes. I noticed it. I was just wrong in the end.
I mean, like, I acted just as obstinate in this game. However, most of my posts were at least me trying to solve and they were all game-related this time, and I only ******* about hating mafia once instead of having a mental breakdown

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Nah I disagree, replacing out in thread is fine.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I’m just happy that I re-evaluated to a degree. Voting for Ran would have been the worst outcome for me, especially after voting the slot on D1 and D2.
Good stuff on that. You may realize that confidence leads to inaccuracy. As I am one to be confident quite often, yet whenever I'm not as confident on something I am more accurate. This is why I'm more open to reconsidering nowadays. I was confident here and oop.

osieorb18

Smash Ace
Good stuff on that. You may realize that confidence leads to inaccuracy. As I am one to be confident quite often, yet whenever I'm not as confident on something I am more accurate. This is why I'm more open to reconsidering nowadays. I was confident here and oop.
Skill leads to accuracy. Confidence in that skill can either build upon the accuracy or if that confidence itself is inaccurate, detract from it. But part of skill is constant reconsideration. And usually if your reconsideration is always ending up with the same result, either you're not strongly reconsidering, or you're correct.

Top Bottom