• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(Competitive) People like faster paced games. A growing trend?

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Halo 3 used to be HUGE at my school. Anyone who owned a 360 had it, but then Call of Duty 4 (cod4) came out, and everyone started to play that instead. I decided to hop on the bandwagon and try it out myself, and surprisingly, I ended up liking cod4 much better, despite the fact that I have been a Halo fan for years. I asked myself a simple question. "Why do I like cod4 better?" I came up with a simple answer. The gameplay was a lot faster than Halo 3's. Not too long ago, I got onto cod4 and asked everyone what was it about the gameplay that they liked better than Halo 3, and I mostly got the same answer. Faster gameplay. After thinking about this, I came up with the idea that we almost have the same situation between Brawl and Melee.

Halo 3 (much like Brawl) is slower paced and has much longer 1 on 1 moments. You don't need lightning fast reflexes to be able to escape death, which (in a lot of cases) involves simply running behind something for cover after you are being shot at. You can seriously just run out in the open, start getting shot at, and still escape death by running behind something quickly enough. (As long as nobody has any power weapons... but lets not get into that) Brawl is very similar in a sense. In example, you can charge an opponent and trip right in front of them, but you will not get punished nearly as much as you would in Melee, making mistakes less important as they were in Melee. In Halo 3, you get rewarded by camping many times. In example, I camped with a shotgun on the the map "The Pit" and ended up getting 18 kills and only 1 death. In Brawl, camping actually works well for many characters like Pit, Olimar, etc.

Cod4 (much like Melee) is faster paced and has very fast 1 on 1 moments. When you make a mistake in cod4, you are punished very fast with instant death in most cases. Weapons do tons of damage in the game, and depending on what weapon you are using, you can can kill someone in less than a second. Overall, the punishment is far greater, which means that every little moment counts and you are forced to stay sharp in order to keep up with the game's pace. In Melee, you don't punish someone with instant death, but you can deal enough punishment so that your opponent deeply regrets making that mistake. Sometimes being knocked off the stage at as little as 20% can mean death if you get edgeguarded well enough. Melee also has a little camping, but it is not nearly as effective as in Brawl. Cod4 has camping as well, but even when you camp, you are either going to a. not going to get a lot of kills at all or b. still put yourself at risk of being shot down isntantly.

EDIT: Rewording- Do faster paced games tend to attract the competitive scene more than slower paced games? What about the casual gamers? Does the pace of Melee contribute to what made it so popular from a competitive standpoint?

DISCUSS

LP4Life666

Smash Journeyman
Not necessarily. It depends on what type of game you're dealing with and what genre it's in. However, first-person shooter and fighting games need to be fast-paced in order to attract a competitive crowd.

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
I like fun games, both Melee and Brawl do that for me. Speed doesn't matter as long as you have fun playing the game, of course this is coming from a non-tourney player so I'd expect different answers from them.

Rauzaruke

Smash Apprentice
Actually, some games can get a little too fast. I can't stand any Unreal Tournament game because of its quirky fast paced-ness, though like LP4 said up there it attracts competitive people like no other. >_>

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Same idea of people enjoying TV more than they enjoy books. Same idea as the human population as a whole collectively gaining a sort of "ADD" with the advent of the internet making all information fast and plentiful.

The trend of our society as a whole is towards faster things to stimulate us more often. Its sad, but true.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
At average I think people would rather play the games were your going fast and at moments when your reflexes just kick in then games that are slow and everything can be figured out before hand (im not saying brawl is like this, im just saying what some games have). Games like sonic were influnced greatly by this as speed was a huge attraction to people .Though IMO I dont really care if it's fast or slow. All I care is if it's a good game.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
The evidence behind your thinking may appear conclusive, but it's quite erroneous. At this point, Brawl has taken a primary spotlight, with Melee taking a back seat. Sure there are pleanty of people who weren't happy with Brawl, that's fine, they went back to Melee. However, so many more people were far more lenient, and looked deeper into Brawl and realized that there's still something there. The majority of people favor Brawl over Melee. I'm not just saying this because I like Brawl. Don't get be wrong, I LOVED Melee, I played it since it's release date 7-8 years ago.

People like games for many reasons more than speed. For example, people take to games in genres that interest them. Some people for example may like Halo 3 over CoD4 simply because they like sci-fi orientated games. Other people may hate fast paced games like CoD4 TF2, and Melee, and prefer more tactical games from entirely different genres. RPGs are another genre that often capitalize on slower pace, developing rich story, and so many people adore those games.

In the end, no, you can't generalize and assume that people appreciate fast paced games more. Sure fast paced games are competitive. In all honesty however, do you really think that Brawl is any slower than Melee? Sure the movement speed is a tad slower, but the game is still VERY quick, you have to do a ton of thinking on your feet, and mindgames still apply. I for one enjoy Brawl ten times more than I ever have Melee, and that's saying quite a bit.

EDIT:

Yeah, I agree with what others have said, fast pace games can also deter people all the same. An obvious example is Half Life 2: Deathmatch, compared to Counter Strike: Source. Deathmatch is ridiculously fast paced. You spawn, and are lucky if you survive long enough to find a weapon. You're only true defense is the gravity gun that you start with, in which case any object around you becomes a weapon. It just seems more mindless than anything. Also, there have been far too many times where right upon spawning a fridge has hit me (I say "hit me" because someone lobbed one at me with the gravity gun) and I die instantly. That's not fun. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

Counter Strike however, with a much slower pace, and far more tactical, is immensely better. Sure it's fast paced when you're alive, but when you die, you have to wait for you're team to either win, or die, then re-spawn next round. In comparison to Deathmatch, CSS is very slow, but believe me, that's a good thing.

Shuma

Smash Hero
You think CoD4 is fast? you need to play Unreal Tournament.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
The evidence behind your thinking may appear conclusive, but it's quite erroneous. At this point, Brawl has taken a primary spotlight, with Melee taking a back seat. Sure there are pleanty of people who weren't happy with Brawl, that's fine, they went back to Melee. However, so many more people were far more lenient, and looked deeper into Brawl and realized that there's still something there. The majority of people favor Brawl over Melee. I'm not just saying this because I like Brawl. Don't get be wrong, I LOVED Melee, I played it since it's release date 7-8 years ago.

People like games for many reasons more than speed. For example, people take to games in genres that interest them. Some people for example may like Halo 3 over CoD4 simply because they like sci-fi orientated games. Other people may hate fast paced games like CoD4 TF2, and Melee, and prefer more tactical games from entirely different genres. RPGs are another genre that often capitalize on slower pace, developing rich story, and so many people adore those games.

In the end, no, you can't generalize and assume that people appreciate fast paced games more. Sure fast paced games are competitive. In all honesty however, do you really think that Brawl is any slower than Melee? Sure the movement speed is a tad slower, but the game is still VERY quick, you have to do a ton of thinking on your feet, and mindgames still apply. I for one enjoy Brawl ten times more than I ever have Melee, and that's saying quite a bit.

EDIT:

Yeah, I agree with what others have said, fast pace games can also deter people all the same. An obvious example is Half Life 2: Deathmatch, compared to Counter Strike: Source. Deathmatch is ridiculously fast paced. You spawn, and are lucky if you survive long enough to find a weapon. You're only true defense is the gravity gun that you start with, in which case any object around you becomes a weapon. It just seems more mindless than anything. Also, there have been far too many times where right upon spawning a fridge has hit me (I say "hit me" because someone lobbed one at me with the gravity gun) and I die instantly. That's not fun. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

Counter Strike however, with a much slower pace, and far more tactical, is immensely better. Sure it's fast paced when you're alive, but when you die, you have to wait for you're team to either win, or die, then re-spawn next round. In comparison to Deathmatch, CSS is very slow, but believe me, that's a good thing.
I can agree with what you said, but a lot of the competitive scene dislikes Brawl for its slower pace, and there are many things in Brawl that contribute to the "slowness." Not that it's a bad thing, just not for the competitive scene I guess...

Sascratch

Smash Rookie
Slower doesn't necessarily mean more tactical, it just means slower. A game could very well be faster and more tactical at the same time.

Edds

Smash Ace
only pussys play halo3. PC fps gaming was awesome before year 2000 because everything was fast paced. and now everything is all casual. check how well the new unreal tournament did on the PC. everyone is all into this slow paced/health regen crap these days.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
only pussys play halo3. PC fps gaming was awesome before year 2000 because everything was fast paced. and now everything is all casual. check how well the new unreal tournament did on the PC. everyone is all into this slow paced/health regen crap these days.
The most annoying thing is when you are shooting at someone and they are about to die, but then they find cover just in time. Their health regenerates, and then they are out to kill you again. Very annoying.

danielrofl

Smash Cadet
If you watch some MLG vids from Halo 3, especially from the last event, the pace is a lot quicker with the settings they use.
Weapons have more damage, and people move faster. Its that kind of thing that makes Halo3 cool, because there are so many settings, its really diverse.

Wouldn't have been a bad idea to include settings like that in Brawl, maybe it would have sparked more furious and intense competition?

I play CoD4 a lot, more than Halo 3. I have to say though the fast paced nature of the game is also its greatest flaw. In my opinion, something I love about Halo3 is the fact you might be shot at at first, you know you will lose the encounter, so you throw a grenade to the floor and turn round to shoot him. This gives you the advantage and your strategy got you the kill. Whereas in CoD4, the person who spots the other first, is the one to win the encounter.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
I play CoD4 a lot, more than Halo 3. I have to say though the fast paced nature of the game is also its greatest flaw. In my opinion, something I love about Halo3 is the fact you might be shot at at first, you know you will lose the encounter, so you throw a grenade to the floor and turn round to shoot him. This gives you the advantage and your strategy got you the kill. Whereas in CoD4, the person who spots the other first, is the one to win the encounter.
Exactly. Like I said earlier, Cod4 forces you to play at a very high pace, which is something I and many others enjoy doing. Don't get my wrong though, Halo 3 is definately one of my favorite games at all time, and I still play it a whole lot. (Been playing it a lot recently actually) Are you any good? I would love to add you to my Xbl friends list if you like. Mabey we could play together some time.

danielrofl

Smash Cadet
Exactly. Like I said earlier, Cod4 forces you to play at a very high pace, which is something I and many others enjoy doing. Don't get my wrong though, Halo 3 is definately one of my favorite games at all time, and I still play it a whole lot. (Been playing it a lot recently actually) Are you any good? I would love to add you to my Xbl friends list if you like. Mabey we could play together some time.
Im okay, still low ranked, but thats mainly because I only started playing matchmaking a couple months ago because of router problems (Funny because Halo3 was the only game that didn't work). I've been through two accounts because I shared my last one with my brother.
I mostly play the MLG playlists, because im not a fan of the Assault Rifle. Dont get me wrong I loved it in Halo 1, but that was for single player. Multiplayer should stick to battle rifles :)

I think another thing that makes CoD4 so attractive is the simple matchmaking system. You only need to click "Find Match" and you're pretty much guaranteed a match within 10 seconds. Thats something I hear Brawl lacks, a decent online system.

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
From what I know of CoD4, it's gameplay isn't just faster, but much riskier as well. Perhaps it would be accurate to say that much more depends on the player and not the game? In Halo, it's possible to abuse the game mechanics and win very easily in some cases. I don't play CoD4, but I've seen it played, and I get the impression that things like that aren't as prevalent.

If that were the case, then CoD4 would be more like a real-life event, in which every action is controlled by the player and not the game. Perhaps that's the appeal?

DKKountry

Smash Ace
Corneria... Fourth Planet of the Lylat System
It's not an absolute rule, but fast-paced games are usually better spectator sports.

Level of fun in watching:
High-level Smash match > High-level Chess match

Speed chess is more fun to watch than normal chess, but still not as much as smash.

Disclaimer: IMHO.
All of the above was written basically in jest.
No refunds.
Chess people are cool too.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
Yes, fast paced games will always be popular.

I would contend that Brawl is still very fast paced as far as vijagames go. Sure, Melee might have been a step quicker, but a Brawl matchup usually doesn't go longer than 5 minutes.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
From what I know of CoD4, it's gameplay isn't just faster, but much riskier as well. Perhaps it would be accurate to say that much more depends on the player and not the game? In Halo, it's possible to abuse the game mechanics and win very easily in some cases. I don't play CoD4, but I've seen it played, and I get the impression that things like that aren't as prevalent.

If that were the case, then CoD4 would be more like a real-life event, in which every action is controlled by the player and not the game. Perhaps that's the appeal?
Cod4 overall is an amazing game lol. (Shooter of the year baby) It has many things going for it that contribute to the overall experience, but yes the game does depend on the player greatly, and that does indeed contribute the the experience.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
The most annoying thing is when you are shooting at someone and they are about to die, but then they find cover just in time. Their health regenerates, and then they are out to kill you again. Very annoying.
Cause you should totally be able to kill someone who decided to make use of their surroundings and take cover. The game also gives you grenades, plasma grenades, a grenade launcher, auto targetting melee.

Sorry but I don't like having 1 health, running for cover from someone who spawned nearby and STILL dying despite the fact I had an advantage by taking cover.
I should be rewarded for playing more strategically.

naevorc

Smash Apprentice
....It depends on how long you've been playing games. If you think it's a "growing trend", I'm not so sure how long you've been alive.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
halo 2 is like melee

exploits and fast req. reflexes/ skill was the huge competitive standard

brawl like halo 3 focus more on the actual game and basics but develop their own advanced tactics. just not things like wavedashing/l cancel and BxR/2x 4x shot

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Cause you should totally be able to kill someone who decided to make use of their surroundings and take cover. The game also gives you grenades, plasma grenades, a grenade launcher, auto targetting melee.

Sorry but I don't like having 1 health, running for cover from someone who spawned nearby and STILL dying despite the fact I had an advantage by taking cover.
I should be rewarded for playing more strategically.
First of all, you don't get a grenade launcher. I don't know if you play Halo or not, but the shoot-and-hide feeling pisses many people off. State your opinions and w/e, but this actually is a major issue to many FPS fans. They feel that having to use a full clip of your assault rifle ammo only to have your enemy get away in time is extremely annoying. The slow health regeneration and powerful weapons make the cod4 experience more realistic, and that is another reason it got shooter of the year over Halo.

SSBB4all

Smash Apprentice
halo 2 is like melee

brawl like halo 3 focus more on the actual game and basics but develop their own advanced tactics. just not things like wavedashing/l cancel and BxR/2x 4x shot
Quote for truthors

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
halo 2 is like melee

Why am I just now reading this? :dizzy:
I couldn't agree with this more.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
Cod4 (much like Melee) is faster paced and has very fast 1 on 1 moments. When you make a mistake in cod4, you are punished very fast with instant death in most cases. Weapons do tons of damage in the game, and depending on what weapon you are using, you can can kill someone in less than a second. Overall, the punishment is far greater, which means that every little moment counts and you are forced to stay sharp in order to keep up with the game's pace. In Melee, you don't punish someone with instant death, but you can deal enough punishment so that your opponent deeply regrets making that mistake. Sometimes being knocked off the stage at as little as 20% can mean death if you get edgeguarded well enough. Melee also has a little camping, but it is not nearly as effective as in Brawl. Cod4 has camping as well, but even when you camp, you are either going to a. not going to get a lot of kills at all or b. still put yourself at risk of being shot down isntantly.
I think that there is no correlation.

Example. I hate CoD4. I don't think it's a good multiplayer game. But I love Team Fortress 2 and I consider it one of the best FPSs I've ever played. The reason isn't the speed. I find no real change in either. The difference is that CoD4 has so little health that anything can kill you. It's not necessarily skill when you get an ambush on someone. But in Team Fortress 2, I could be ambushed and still win. It gives me more health and very few things kill in one hit. Not to mention it has a lot more personality then CoD4.

So, this example kind of crushes your. I don't like one becuase of speed but becuase of fun factor. So, you really can't say people like faster games. Not to mention Brawl is ablout to outsell Melee.

Screw Halo and CoD, go TF2!
That's the way you DO IT!

Demp

Smash Journeyman
@OP

The growing trend isn't the pace. In fact, games are now becoming more slow paced. At first the big games were the Quake and Unreal Tournament series, which are now becoming extinct and they were very fast paced for FPS's. I think the trend is that people just want a game they can be good at. Games that were designed for competition are going to become nonexistent because when a person plays a complexed game with very deep gameplay like Unreal 3, they won't be satisfied with it because they want instant gratification or easier game play... like TF2 for example. The addition of crits was implemented for 2 reasons: to prevent a stalemate, and for people to think they are good because they killed a person because a randomly generated number. I guess you can say this nubification happened to Brawl as well. When it takes so much to be good at a game, new people might be turned off by the required effort. Because of this, things like the ability to make combos were taken out. There are many more examples of nubifying games so anybody can be good at them, but what it boils down to is it is all about the money, and the money is at the casual market... not the competitive market. And the casual market is more about *easier* games.

And for the discussion about TF2, it would be MUCH better if they toned down the damage multiplier for crits. A Solider instantly killing multiple people just because he got a little lucky is a little BS. There should have been a cvar implemented to turn off crits, but meh, whatever.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I like fun games, both Melee and Brawl do that for me. Speed doesn't matter as long as you have fun playing the game, of course this is coming from a non-tourney player so I'd expect different answers from them.

I like fun games too.

Speed, like you said, has nothing to do with it for me.

Also, am I the only one who DOESNT like CoD 4?

RBNuke

Smash Apprentice
I couldn't really get into HALO because I just can't do console FPS. Dual analog is just not meant for FPS. I prefer TF2 and UTanything to CoD4 though, although I like the game.

I would not say people are into faster paced games. World of Warcraft. GG.

Top Bottom