• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Competitive Neutral, Advantage, and Disadvantage Character Rankings

Coopwastaken

Smash Rookie
NNID
LanceHS
3DS FC
5086-1628-1357
Here are the current suspect characters:

:4metaknight: Compare his Neutral with characters in Rank 3 and higher.

:4pikachu: Compare his Neutral with characters in Rank 4 and lower.

:4sonic: Compare his Neutral with characters in Rank 4.

Those are the characters that I want looked at in more detail as of right now.
I'll give my insight on these few characters.

Meta Knight :4metaknight:: This character has one of the worst neutrals in the game. He cannot space in neutral with his fair/bair due to how laggy they are and how short his sword is. He also can't really approach with dair because once again, the sword is too short. That leaves him with really only ground options and special moves. None of his specials help him out due to how predictable all of them are and how much end lag each move has. Now we only have ground options which aren't great as is. He doesn't gain anything from Perfect pivoting his tilts. That leaves us with his only two real options: Dash attack and Dash Grab. Completely ignoring how insane the punish is if he lands either of these, they really suck. Meta knight can't really mix you up since it's just a constant 50/50, and I don't mean that in a good way. Everyone else in tier 3 has at least a decent aerial to space in neutral or a projectile to help influence how their opponent approaches them/plays the neutral. I definitely see him dropped half a star or a full star

Pikachu :4pikachu:: This characters neutral is amazing and should not move anywhere below 4 stars. Obviously as having the character as my secondary comes with bias, but there are almost unlimited options pikachu can go for in netraul due to the nature of his aerials and having access to QA. Fair and bair can be used to pressure an opponent. People can drop shield because they aren't used to how long the move is or assume they can act out sooner than they can. Not to mention if pika misses and fast falls, she gets really flat so it's super easy for characters to miss punishes. Not to mention fair autocancels. Dair is an amazing autocanceling aerial that can lead into jab resets, but can also be fast fallen to create a second hitbox if people often drop shield against the first. Thunder jolt is a projectile that really can force your opponent to take specific options and can be a real pain if it's on a platform. Forgoing all of that, Pika can get right on top of you and start combos very quickly with QA due to the versatility of going in and staying in, baiting, or going in with QA1 and moving away with QA2 (also should mention it can auto cancel depending where you are). Pika also has amazing tilts all around that help her poke/start combos. IN the end, I see pika being the top character in the 4 star row (especially since I think fox/sonic/corrin could move out).

Sonic :4sonic:: Refer to my post at the top of this page.

Hope this helps and please let me know if you disagree or have any questions.

lbrasz44

Smash Apprentice
Bayonetta's neutral honestly isn't that great though, she has garbage mobility outside of a side b that I'm not sure why everyone is still getting hit by, a projectile that everyone but like bowser can just crawl under, high startup on most of her moves, shes easy as hell to outspace and camp, etc. I would rather use Diddy or Cloud
Which still reinforces the point about Ganondorf actually haha. If he's suffering against Bayonetta hard, imagine Diddy and others.

But you are correct that her frame data would theoretically hinder her up close, however, she capitalizes upon having one of the best advantages where she basically racks up 30+ everytime she gets a hit and could follow up on it, and knowing that she has witch time is a huge psychological factor when going against her. Her mobility isn't the greatest, but it isn't terrible either.

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman
I agree with this sentiment. Ganandorf's mobility practically restricts whatever options he has in neutral that he is forced to react to whatever the opponent does, instead of the other way around. Him vs Bayonetta or Sheik in the neutral phase is practically the most one sided thing you could ever see in this game.
Actually Gunner dominates Ganondorf in the neutral even worse than Bayonetta or Sheik. Gunner's shorthop fair alone shuts down his options since it is a transcendent projectile that outranges most of Ganondorf's moves. Not even shielding helps him since Gunner's fair is safe on perfect shielding and Ganondorf has poor out of shield options. Also Ganondorf's wizard foot is too slow to stop Gunner's sh fair. The reason why Ganondorf does worse against Bayonetta and Sheik is because they also get a great reward for beating Ganondorf in the neutral.

lbrasz44

Smash Apprentice
Actually Gunner dominates Ganondorf in the neutral even worse than Bayonetta or Sheik. Gunner's shorthop fair alone shuts down his options since it is a transcendent projectile that outranges most of Ganondorf's moves. Not even shielding helps him since Gunner's fair is safe on perfect shielding and Ganondorf has poor out of shield options. Also Ganondorf's wizard foot is too slow to stop Gunner's sh fair. The reason why Ganondorf does worse against Bayonetta and Sheik is because they also get a great reward for beating Ganondorf in the neutral.
Well the important thing to take from what I have and others' been saying is that Ganondorf is terrible in neutral and worse in that aspect than Jigglypuff, because we're literally talking about who stomps him harder here haha

Good points though, I don't know much about the mii's but gunner's fair is among the best of the best overall, and it's a huge tool for it's neutral over most- dare I say all- characters

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I find there to be something very strange about this list, or at the very least how we're defining Neutral.

Look at the 2-star rankings and below. Who are some of the characters in it?

Wario. Game & Watch. Jigglypuff at HALF A STAR.

What do all of these characters have in common? They've got some of the best aerial movement in the game. Jigglypuff and Wario are two kings of aerial weaving, while G&W sports the best aerial DECELERATION in the game. Jiggs and Wario suffer from a lack of range and disjoints, and G&W has pretty bad landing lag, but I just feel like... no character that moves through the air THAT well should be relegated to such a poor neutral rating.

The "problem" that doesn't actually exist is that I think Smash players associate neutral with the constant pressing of buttons. Gotta get those safe fairs out. Gotta get that quick dtilt out. Gotta use my super fast jab. Some characters are not designed to be so "buttonsy" and I think these three fall into that category and shouldn't be judged too harshly that they have to be more careful with their attacks.

People lament Falco's neutral all the time for its lack of mobility despite his excellent pokes. These characters don't have good pokes for the most part, but they do have the mobility. From how people discuss Falco, it sounds like those strong tilts and aerials are nowhere near as important as how a character moves, but Jigglypuff, Wario, and G&W, who all excel at movement, are lower than him?

Personally I think Jigglypuff and G&W should at least be 2's if not higher, and Wario should at least be a 3.
It's very simple footsies. The characters you mentioned are stars of whiff punishment and conditioning, and have no place being that low.

There's more to neutral than approach and pressure. Footsies is a very important aspect that a lot of people in this community either don't know about or don't understand (someone in this very page said MK's neutral is bad.)
I suggest this video gets watched. It's Street Fighter, but it's simple enough and the basic principle applies in every single fighting game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQQCan5oo90

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman
Well the important thing to take from what I have and others' been saying is that Ganondorf is terrible in neutral and worse in that aspect than Jigglypuff, because we're literally talking about who stomps him harder here haha

Good points though, I don't know much about the mii's but gunner's fair is among the best of the best overall, and it's a huge tool for it's neutral over most- dare I say all- characters
On the topic of worst neutral, I think that Ganondorf has a worse neutral than Jigglypuff due to the fact that Jigglypuff has the aerial mobility to bait and punish, but I think that it would be best if Ganondorf and Jigglypuff players list the characters that they beat in the neutral. We can then compare their neutral matchup charts. While this would be inconvenient for most of the cast, it shouldn't be too bad for Ganondorf and Jigglypuff assuming that they lose neutral against most of the cast.

You are right about Gunner's fair. It doesn't automatically win the neutral against the entire cast, but Gunner's other moves (mainly charge blast and reflector) are usually enough to win the neutral against the characters with projectiles that can outrange fair. It is considered one of the best Fairs in the game because it also allows gunner to gundash for a good boost in mobility (by holding the directional stick in the opposite direction while using the c-stick to fair, it gives Gunner the speed of a falcon kick, and it has no landing lag while gundashing) and horizontal recovery. It also combos into many of Gunner's moves (these combos are in the Mii Gunner true combo and follow up thread).

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
It's very simple footsies. The characters you mentioned are stars of whiff punishment and conditioning, and have no place being that low.

There's more to neutral than approach and pressure. Footsies is a very important aspect that a lot of people in this community either don't know about or don't understand (someone in this very page said MK's neutral is bad.)
I suggest this video gets watched. It's Street Fighter, but it's simple enough and the basic principle applies in every single fighting game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQQCan5oo90
Jigglypuff loses to shield, m8. No amount of technical FGC terminology will change that.

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Wait, guys, Ganondorf is not THAT terrible, his mobility is hideous, but at least he has long reach, meaty hitboxes, and high "priority" in moves like Dash Attack. He might not beat you on footsies/spacing everytime, but his sole presence is scary and must be respected.
As for Jigglypuff, I can't really comment a lot about her, but at least her aerial moves are amazing for spacing.
:196:

Molk

Smash Cadet
I definitely feel like G&W can make a case for being higher on the neutral rankings personally.

Outside of G&W's aforementioned good aerial mobility (his maximum air speed is 1.12, tied for 12th highest in the game, his aerial acceleration is poor but his aerial deceleration is the highest in the game as far as i know). One thing about G&W's neutral game that hasn't been mentioned is his excellent foxtrot. He's tied with Lucario and Cloud for the fastest dash to neutral in the entire game (17 frames), and he also has the second fastest dash to shield in the cast afaik (8 frames), only being beaten out by Sheik and (iirc) Corrin. This improves his ground game immensely, as it gives him an effective way to move around the stage somewhat quickly without having to commit to a run, leaving him open to use his entire moveset at pretty much any time he wants, and both stop or turn around at any time he wants without entering any kind of laggy animation. G&W's foxtrot is also quite effective for playing mindgames, giving him a noncommital way to bait punishable reactions out of the opponent so that he can get an opening to go in.

Going away from movement and looking more into his options in the neutral as far as attacks go, G&W's moveset is filled with with disjointed, long lasting hitboxes, that he can use to space out opponents to decent effect, especially opponents who suffer from a lack of range. Jab 1 is frame 4 (not incredibly fast, but not extremely slow either), is disjointed, has a very fast FAF (FAF for a single jab is frame 16), and can lead into either G&W's jab combo, which does decent damage in and of itself, or even into a non guaranteed grab as a mixup, making it a decent, noncommital poke that you can potentially get a lot of reward for landing. Usmash has sluggish startup time, but has invincibility frames on his upper body from frame 4 to frame 25, covering pretty much the entire startup of the attack as well as the entire time the hitbox is out, as well as an extremely low amount of endlag for a smash attack, which makes it quite safe on both shield and whiff (G&W actually has +4 frame advantage on shield drop after using Usmash), and combo potential at lower percentages. Speaking of safety on shield, his other smash attacks aren't too shabby on shield when spaced correctly, and both his Fair and his Bair can also be spaced to be somewhat ok on shield despite their landing lag when used out of a SH. Dash Attack comes out somewhat quickly (frame 6) has a hitbox that lasts for a long amount of time, and G&W moves forward a decent amount during the move, making it a quick and effective tool for whiff punishing as well as a decent approach option when used unpredictably along with say, his dashgrab.

Idk, i don't think G&W's neutral is exactly amazing or anything atm, but i feel like it's a bit better than the current rankings give it credit for and i'd give some consideration to moving it up.

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Jigglypuff loses to shield, m8. No amount of technical FGC terminology will change that.
She's bad but it's not because she "loses to shield."

Nothing technical about footsies. She plays it well. She just doesn't get much out of it, and a lot of her moves are high commitment that she has to be precise with her punishes.

Last edited:

TheGoodGuava

Smash Ace
Puff may have a bad neutral, but if they know how to set stuff up into rest you're screwed if they ever win the neutral

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
Neutral Rankings v0.3

Sonic and Ganondorf moved down. Wario, G&W, and Jigglypuff moved up. Kirby and Palutena have been added to the lower ranks. And most importantly, Rank 0.5 has been removed due to no character having a Neutral that weak. There will be no further changes to the amount of Neutral ranks, because the character spread matches the theories behind the characters in regards to the Neutral state. Due to this change, I may have to change how the Advantage/Disadvantage rankings will be judged, though I have no idea how to handle that atm.

Current Suspect Characters:

:4lucas::4bayonetta::4olimar::4wiifit: I want special attention given to these four characters, as I want to add them to the next update.

:4lucas: For Lucas in particular, compare his Neutral with characters in Rank 2.5 and 3.

:4palutena: Compare her Neutral with characters in Rank 1 and 1.5.

:4jigglypuff: Compare her Neutral with characters in Rank 1 and 1.5.

:4kirby: Compare his Neutral with characters in Rank 1.5 and 2.

:4gaw: Compare his Neutral with characters in Rank 2 and 2.5.

:4wario2: Compare his Neutral with characters in Rank 2.5 and 3.

:4ryu: Compare his Neutral with characters in Rank 3, 3.5, and 4.

:4sonic: Compare his Neutral with characters in Rank 4 and lower.

Last edited:

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
You know what I mean, don't be a smartass.
As far as I could tell, your point was that he was using technical language to argue without actually having a point, when he was arguing using...standard FGC language. He had a perfectly valid point, and you decided to ignore it completely.

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
As far as I could tell, your point was that he was using technical language to argue without actually having a point, when he was arguing using...standard FGC language. He had a perfectly valid point, and you decided to ignore it completely.
Fine, I crossed out the word "technical." Is that better?

My point is that the fact that Jigglypuff loses to shield is so significant a flaw that it outweighs most of her other assets in neutral.

Last edited:

jet56

Smash Journeyman
Hey mac main here, i actually want to make an argument that :4littlemac: should actually be a half a star higher.

First i want to rate him in terms of Advantage, Neutral, and Disadvantage.

Advantage: 4
Neutral: 5
Disadvantage: 3

Advantage: alright, so little macs advantage is very good, because he can cover landings pretty damn well. this is especially true on a stage like FD. however, its not perfect, as he can't press his advantage against someone in the air, and he has to wait till they try to touch the ground. there is something that must be kept in mind though. when i pop you into the air with a tilt, you can come down with an aerial, jump, or airdodge. i can cover two of those options with a super armored smash (i throw out usmash if i see an aerial, or i wait for the airdodge then usmash). if they jump, great. i just follow you in the air till your about to land then you have to take a 50-50 guess on what to do (aerial or airdodge). generally, little mac always has a 50-50 chance of catching your landing and continuing the juggle, and its very difficult to land safely due to macs fantastic ground speed. while this isn't really covering all scenarios, the general idea is that mac doesn't really need to press his advantage, as all he has to do is cover your landing until you are at kill percent (for reference, sour spot Usmash kills Bowser off the top at Battlefield at 117%, when he is on the ground. this was done in training mode.)

Neutral: Little Mac has the best ground neutral in the game, and a top 5 neutral game in general. his fast tilts and frame 1 jab (with insane priority), amazing footsies and pressure game are a force to be reckoned with, and his fast acting moves either are amazing kill conversions (Dtilt>Up B, Utilt>Up B, jab jab to Up B, etc.) or they kill on their own entirely (Ftilt.). He has ridiculous smashes that kill super early and can be comboed off of tilts, as well as coated with super armor. couple that with the fact that almost all his moves are safe on shield with the proper spacing, and combined with PP and dash dancing, he can throw out any of these moves in neutral at any point on the stage. I won't even get started on little macs untapped combo potential, in the fact he should be getting 40+ conversions at 0-low percents, which means he only needs to win neutral about 3 times to net the stock.
(meaning he doesn't need to worry about other parts of the game as much, such as edge guarding, pressing his advantage, or netting percent.)
https://gfycat.com/TastyBareGrunion a good example of a solid mac combo.
while the above combo may be situational, or not work all the time, it goes to show what mac can really do if he uses his tools properly and optimizes a win in neutral. I could go on and on, but ill stop here. let me know if you want any more evidence on why i have him this high.

Disadvantage: i know what you are thinking, he has one of the worst disadvantage states in the game. Well yes and no. while it is true that he can't do anything much while in the air, this isn't to say he doesn't have tools to get out of the disadvantage state. A frame 2 nair, frame 3 Up B that can kill pretty early off the top if you catch an opponent getting greedy, a very good fall speed (and overall, good air mobility ironically), all give him plenty of options to get back down to the ground pretty fast.
http://smashboards.com/threads/lets-talk-about-landing-options.421194/ a list of all of macs landing options.
the reason why there might be a misconception that little macs disadvantage state is absolute garbage? most mac mains only try to employ 2-3 of these options (usually a double jump or straight lunge, and typically they use the wrong options at the wrong time, or they don't mix it up.)

In my opinion, little mac is one of those characters that still hasn't been explored and is in fact very underdeveloped. I was actually very happy to see that he was as high as he was on this chart, but i believe he should be a little higher. The only character that really can beat him in neutral is shiek, and he can evenly compete and/or beat everyone else next to him or below him.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Hey mac main here, i actually want to make an argument that :4littlemac: should actually be a half a star higher.

Advantage: alright, so little macs advantage is very good, because he can cover landings pretty damn well. this is especially true on a stage like FD. however, its not perfect, as he can't press his advantage against someone in the air, and he has to wait till they try to touch the ground. there is something that must be kept in mind though. when i pop you into the air with a tilt, you can come down with an aerial, jump, or airdodge. i can cover two of those options with a super armored smash (i throw out usmash if i see an aerial, or i wait for the airdodge then usmash). if they jump, great. i just follow you in the air till your about to land then you have to take a 50-50 guess on what to do (aerial or airdodge). generally, little mac always has a 50-50 chance of catching your landing and continuing the juggle, and its very difficult to land safely due to macs fantastic ground speed. while this isn't really covering all scenarios, the general idea is that mac doesn't really need to press his advantage, as all he has to do is cover your landing until you are at kill percent (for reference, sour spot Usmash kills Bowser off the top at Battlefield at 117%, when he is on the ground. this was done in training mode.)

Neutral: Little Mac has the best ground neutral in the game, and a top 5 neutral game in general. his fast tilts and frame 1 jab (with insane priority), amazing footsies and pressure game are a force to be reckoned with, and his fast acting moves either are amazing kill conversions (Dtilt>Up B, Utilt>Up B, jab jab to Up B, etc.) or they kill on their own entirely (Ftilt.). He has ridiculous smashes that kill super early and can be comboed off of tilts, as well as coated with super armor. couple that with the fact that almost all his moves are safe on shield with the proper spacing, and combined with PP and dash dancing, he can throw out any of these moves in neutral at any point on the stage. I won't even get started on little macs untapped combo potential, in the fact he should be getting 40+ conversions at 0-low percents, which means he only needs to win neutral about 3 times to net the stock.
(meaning he doesn't need to worry about other parts of the game as much, such as edge guarding, pressing his advantage, or netting percent.)
while the above combo may be situational, or not work all the time, it goes to show what mac can really do if he uses his tools properly and optimizes a win in neutral. I could go on and on, but ill stop here. let me know if you want any more evidence on why i have him this high.

Disadvantage: i know what you are thinking, he has one of the worst disadvantage states in the game. Well yes and no. while it is true that he can't do anything much while in the air, this isn't to say he doesn't have tools to get out of the disadvantage state. A frame 2 nair, frame 3 Up B that can kill pretty early off the top if you catch an opponent getting greedy, a very good fall speed (and overall, good air mobility ironically), all give him plenty of options to get back down to the ground pretty fast.
http://smashboards.com/threads/lets-talk-about-landing-options.421194/ a list of all of macs landing options.
the reason why there might be a misconception that little macs disadvantage state is absolute garbage? most mac mains only try to employ 2-3 of these options (usually a double jump or straight lunge, and typically they use the wrong options at the wrong time, or they don't mix it up.)

In my opinion, little mac is one of those characters that still hasn't been explored and is in fact very underdeveloped. I was actually very happy to see that he was as high as he was on this chart, but i believe he should be a little higher. The only character that really can beat him in neutral is shiek, and he can evenly compete and/or beat everyone else next to him or below him.
This is a good post, but I have a major problem with it.

Mac's neutral is incredible, but only on FD. If FD was the only legal stage his neutral would probably be 4.5 stars imo, but his neutral is just COMPLETELY non-threatening on Duck Hunt, Smashville and Dreamland. It's workable on Battlefield and it's pretty good on Lylat in all honesty. T&C is very matchup dependent, it's usually good for him but characters who can abuse the platforms well make it very very hard for Mac.

We can't look at Mac's neutral in a vacuum, stages have to come into the equation and when they do it no longer looks good for him.

4 stars is actually far too generous for a character that simply cannot play the neutral game on 3+ legal stages, I highly suggest lowering it.

I suppose one could argue that Mac is actually in disadvantage when his opponent stands on a high platform...

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman

I think that you overrated your main in every category. Gunner also beats Little Mac in the neutral because of the range and safety of Gunner's fair (it outranges all of Little Mac's best options in the neutral, and it only has 12 frames of landing lag. It is also safe on Little Mac's counter when properly spaced). Gunner can also keep Little Mac away with charge blast, flame pillar, pivot ftilt, and pivot fsmash. He also loses to Cloud because Cloud can force Little Mac to approach by charging limit, and wall out Little Mac with aerials such as nair (blade beam can also help keep Little Mac away). In addition, Little Mac's neutral suffers greatly when an opponent platform camps him since his aerials are weak and, they have short range (This weakness is especially noticeable on stages like Duck Hunt or Smashville).

Little Mac's advantage state isn't that great because his kill confirms are not as reliable as characters with top punish games (:4bayonetta:,:4zss:,:4metaknight:,:4ryu:,:4dk:,:4bowser:,:4diddy:,:4fox:,:4ness:are some of the characters that have more reliable kill confirms and better advantage states). In addition, there are quite a few characters who get more damage from combos (along with the characters that are listed above these characters have more damaging combos, and they have better advantage states: :4rob:,:4greninja:,:4cloud:,:4mewtwo:,:4peach:,:4luigi:,:4mario:,:4lucas:all of these characters listed here can get 60% or more from a combo). In addition, Little Mac's edgeguarding game isn't that great (while down smash is a quick option, it doesn't connect very often since it must be timed well), and this allows people to go for the ledge instead of getting juggled by Little Mac. High platforms also hurt Little Mac's juggling game since Little Mac isn't much of an air fighter. By the way, characters with good disadvantage states have more options for avoiding juggling. It also doesn't help Little Mac that he has a poor grab game. Little Mac's advantage state is definitely worse than the characters that are listed above, and there are several characters that are not listed that also have better advantage states than Little Mac.

Little Mac's recovery alone is so bad that it instantly makes his disadvantage state one of the worst in the game (It is so bad that it even gives a character that has a substandard advantage state like Mii Gunner a 0 to death combo and a kill throw). Also, the landing options that you mentioned aren't that good. His aerials are too weak and short ranged to be reliable landing options, his up b is obviously super punishable on a whiff, his airspeed and fall speed isn't enough to keep most of the cast from juggling him, his neutral b doesn't have strong enough heavy armor to be a good option, and his counter is very punishable. His nair is too weak to be a consistent combo breaker, and his up b isn't a very safe option for combo breaking.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
There will be no further changes to the amount of Neutral ranks."
...going to go back against my word somewhat and say that Ranks 1 through 5 won't change, but a few characters will have their own ranks due to how volatile their Neutral game can be depending on certain circumstances.

In the future:

:4littlemac: Will have his own rank according to the stage that is being played on.

:4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword: Will have their own rank according to their alternative specials being allowed or not.

:4palutena: Will have her own rank according to her alternative custom moves being allowed or not.

:4lucario: Will have his own rank according to how much aura he currently has. (Min value/Max "realistic" value)

:rosalina: With/without Luma? Not sure. Need more opinions on this.

I may consider others, but I most won't unless there is a valid enough jump/drop in a character's overall performance in Neutral to warrant their own separate ranking. Palutena is the only custom character I will cover, due to her controversial nature. Ranks for these characters are more based on things that they either can't really control, or it changes their overall gameplay drastically.

Last edited:

jet56

Smash Journeyman
This is a good post, but I have a major problem with it.

Mac's neutral is incredible, but only on FD. If FD was the only legal stage his neutral would probably be 4.5 stars imo, but his neutral is just COMPLETELY non-threatening on Duck Hunt, Smashville and Dreamland. It's workable on Battlefield and it's pretty good on Lylat in all honesty. T&C is very matchup dependent, it's usually good for him but characters who can abuse the platforms well make it very very hard for Mac.

We can't look at Mac's neutral in a vacuum, stages have to come into the equation and when they do it no longer looks good for him.

4 stars is actually far too generous for a character that simply cannot play the neutral game on 3+ legal stages, I highly suggest lowering it.

I suppose one could argue that Mac is actually in disadvantage when his opponent stands on a high platform...
A very valid point, and im glad you brought it up because it slipped my mind. This is very true that little mac is one of those characters very affected by stage (probably the character in the whole cast the most effected by it.) I do have something to counter that though. Stage bans and picks. with the new evo stage list (Thank god), little mac will now always, with the proper bans, go to:
FD
Lylat
Town & City

If i were to ban first, i would ban Smashville. then my opponent would ban two stages, but he can't ban all 3, so i get one of the stages that little macs neutral shines on. This would most likely be T&C, as most people hate Lylat, and FD is a auto ban. If they were to ban first, it would probably be FD, then i would ban Battlefield and Smashville, leaving them with Lylat or T&C, which is again, where little mac wants to go game one.

Also, on the subject of T&C being matchup dependent due to its platforms, this is true, but what makes it so good for mac is that it is a FD stage half of the time with a shorter blast ceiling. if a mac player were to employ patience (a lot of it) and pick his fights when the stage was flat, he would still do extremely well. even if they manage to get percent lead, you have almost 3 minutes of flat stage to work with, and if you take stock lead from an early kill off the top or from a smash attack/ftilt, you can then force them to approach you since you have lead.

I agree, we can't look at mac's neutral in a vacuum, and stages do come into the equation. But the competitive scene and the ability to pick and ban must also be taken into consideration as well. Now, if we were judging and teiring the characters neutrals by looking at all their stages and MU at once, then i would agree. (and if this is the case, then i apologize for the misunderstanding.) Otherwise, i would find it unfair to judge mac's neutral based on the fact he has multiple bad stages, when the player is not going to opt to play on them if he's smart.

The worse case scenario would be i lose game one one on the stage i preferred. if that would be the case, then i would counterpick to the stage i wanted as mac, and if i won, then i would ban FD, and change my character to Cloud.
Now, if i won game one with mac, i COULD ban FD and go cloud, so as to not deal with the bad stage pick for mac, then if i lost with cloud game 2, i would go back to mac and counterpick to the stage i wanted, (this isn't really an argument for little macs stance in the neutral, but how i as a mac main handle his disadvantages.) In short, if i win game one, i am going to get 2 games with one of the 3 stages i want to play on (FD, Lylat, T&C) if it does go to game 3. I don't want to get into how a mac main handles a Bo5, as that would be more unnecessary text for you to read. I did enjoy you bringing up the point, and it was very valid.
I think that you overrated your main in every category. Gunner also beats Little Mac in the neutral because of the range and safety of Gunner's fair (it outranges all of Little Mac's best options in the neutral, and it only has 12 frames of landing lag. It is also safe on Little Mac's counter when properly spaced). Gunner can also keep Little Mac away with charge blast, flame pillar, pivot ftilt, and pivot fsmash. He also loses to Cloud because Cloud can force Little Mac to approach by charging limit, and wall out Little Mac with aerials such as nair (blade beam can also help keep Little Mac away). In addition, Little Mac's neutral suffers greatly when an opponent platform camps him since his aerials are weak and, they have short range (This weakness is especially noticeable on stages like Duck Hunt or Smashville).

Little Mac's advantage state isn't that great because his kill confirms are not as reliable as characters with top punish games (:4bayonetta:,:4zss:,:4metaknight:,:4ryu:,:4dk:,:4bowser:,:4diddy:,:4fox:,:4ness:are some of the characters that have more reliable kill confirms and better advantage states). In addition, there are quite a few characters who get more damage from combos (along with the characters that are listed above these characters have more damaging combos, and they have better advantage states: :4rob:,:4greninja:,:4cloud:,:4mewtwo:,:4peach:,:4luigi:,:4mario:,:4lucas:all of these characters listed here can get 60% or more from a combo). In addition, Little Mac's edgeguarding game isn't that great (while down smash is a quick option, it doesn't connect very often since it must be timed well), and this allows people to go for the ledge instead of getting juggled by Little Mac. High platforms also hurt Little Mac's juggling game since Little Mac isn't much of an air fighter. By the way, characters with good disadvantage states have more options for avoiding juggling. It also doesn't help Little Mac that he has a poor grab game. Little Mac's advantage state is definitely worse than the characters that are listed above, and there are several characters that are not listed that also have better advantage states than Little Mac.

Little Mac's recovery alone is so bad that it instantly makes his disadvantage state one of the worst in the game (It is so bad that it even gives a character that has a substandard advantage state like Mii Gunner a 0 to death combo and a kill throw). Also, the landing options that you mentioned aren't that good. His aerials are too weak and short ranged to be reliable landing options, his up b is obviously super punishable on a whiff, his airspeed and fall speed isn't enough to keep most of the cast from juggling him, his neutral b doesn't have strong enough heavy armor to be a good option, and his counter is very punishable. His nair is too weak to be a consistent combo breaker, and his up b isn't a very safe option for combo breaking.
Alright, im going to go through this in order:
First on the subject of gunner. Dude's neutral doesn't scare mac. that fair? does 6% sweet (when its not being properly spaced or safe) and 4% sour. In fact, Gunners Damage output and combo game is pretty mediocre. Not to mention his killing power is meh. Also, little mac has this nifty trick of using his fast walk to approach his opponents, and power shielding any projectiles coming his way. Gunner has nice zoning tools, but that's it. Keep away alone doesn't work, if you can't net the stock. In regard to the kill throw you are referring to? Neither one doesn't kill till almost 200%, and i can DI the laser shot on the back throw to survive even longer. So not sure what you meant there. Im assuming the 0 to death involves some sort of Gimp of macs recovery? Its bad, but its not linear or predictable to the point you can punish it on reaction, you still have to guess the mixup i choose and get the proper read. and that's assuming you get me offstage first. In all honesty, Gunner only has the tools to zone mac out, and his tools are similar to ness (and subpar in that regard.) However, i can't claim to know everything there is to know about this MU, since we only have one gunner in our state (and a meh one at that.)

On the subject of Cloud. Yes, cloud has the best spacing and juggle tools of the entire cast, and might be one of macs worse matchups. But he must play PERFECTLY. a misspaced aerial, a rushed approach, mistimed grab or attack, and cloud gets punished super hard (Cloud also gets comboed pretty hard, and little mac thrives off of that.) Patience for mac is key, and he doesn't have to press against cloud until he sees an opening.

On the subject of platform camping, refer to the first part of my post. here is a brief summary of the stages mac will play on everytime if he bans right game one:

FD: no platforms, nuff said.
T&C: FD almost half the time, plenty of time in 3 min.
Lylat: can shark the 2 end platforms with Usmash, and the middle one depending on how Lylat is tilting. No safe place to camp.

Little Mac's advantage state isn't the best for sure. But he does indeed have very reliable kill confirms such as Dtilt>JC Up B is gaurenteed, and kills at about 100% on midweights. And his punish game is one of the best because of SUPER ARMORED smash attacks. This also brings up the other point that almost nothing is safe against mac to throw out in neutral (Barring projectiles, and a few niche moves i can't remember to name.) which is something the rest of the cast just doesn't have.

Yes, he doesn't get the most damaging combos in terms of percent. He doesn't need it because he has the most safe, fast, high powered kill options in the game. he doesn't need to get the opponent to 100% percent in order to net the stock. And that is what is the most important in this game. Netting the stock, which little mac is very, very good at.

Again, he doesn't need a good edge guard game. Because he's netting the stock off a punish, or a win in neutral at around 80%.

The only way i can accurately argue the point on his disadvantage state is to show a gify or a vid of every character attempting a juggle in every kind of way, and showing all of macs different options and how effective/ineffective they are on said attempt at juggle. And that would take way too much text in this post to attempt (and the amount of time to collect all the footage would not be worth it.) Seeing is believing, but in this case, i'll admit i don't want to go through the time and effort to prove it so.
The main point i was going for was that mac has multiple options to deal with him being stuck in the air, and ironically, platforms help him out greatly with that.

Anything i missed? Another question or Counter? im all ears. (And im not trying to sound like a cocky asshole, so please don't take my post as such.)

Djmarcus44

Smash Journeyman
jet56ost: 20986960 said:
A very valid point, and im glad you brought it up because it slipped my mind. This is very true that little mac is one of those characters very affected by stage (probably the character in the whole cast the most effected by it.) I do have something to counter that though. Stage bans and picks. with the new evo stage list (Thank god), little mac will now always, with the proper bans, go to:
FD
Lylat
Town & City

If i were to ban first, i would ban Smashville. then my opponent would ban two stages, but he can't ban all 3, so i get one of the stages that little macs neutral shines on. This would most likely be T&C, as most people hate Lylat, and FD is a auto ban. If they were to ban first, it would probably be FD, then i would ban Battlefield and Smashville, leaving them with Lylat or T&C, which is again, where little mac wants to go game one.

Also, on the subject of T&C being matchup dependent due to its platforms, this is true, but what makes it so good for mac is that it is a FD stage half of the time with a shorter blast ceiling. if a mac player were to employ patience (a lot of it) and pick his fights when the stage was flat, he would still do extremely well. even if they manage to get percent lead, you have almost 3 minutes of flat stage to work with, and if you take stock lead from an early kill off the top or from a smash attack/ftilt, you can then force them to approach you since you have lead.

I agree, we can't look at mac's neutral in a vacuum, and stages do come into the equation. But the competitive scene and the ability to pick and ban must also be taken into consideration as well. Now, if we were judging and teiring the characters neutrals by looking at all their stages and MU at once, then i would agree. (and if this is the case, then i apologize for the misunderstanding.) Otherwise, i would find it unfair to judge mac's neutral based on the fact he has multiple bad stages, when the player is not going to opt to play on them if he's smart.

The worse case scenario would be i lose game one one on the stage i preferred. if that would be the case, then i would counterpick to the stage i wanted as mac, and if i won, then i would ban FD, and change my character to Cloud.
Now, if i won game one with mac, i COULD ban FD and go cloud, so as to not deal with the bad stage pick for mac, then if i lost with cloud game 2, i would go back to mac and counterpick to the stage i wanted, (this isn't really an argument for little macs stance in the neutral, but how i as a mac main handle his disadvantages.) In short, if i win game one, i am going to get 2 games with one of the 3 stages i want to play on (FD, Lylat, T&C) if it does go to game 3. I don't want to get into how a mac main handles a Bo5, as that would be more unnecessary text for you to read. I did enjoy you bringing up the point, and it was very valid.

Alright, im going to go through this in order:
First on the subject of gunner. Dude's neutral doesn't scare mac. that fair? does 6% sweet (when its not being properly spaced or safe) and 4% sour. In fact, Gunners Damage output and combo game is pretty mediocre. Not to mention his killing power is meh. Also, little mac has this nifty trick of using his fast walk to approach his opponents, and power shielding any projectiles coming his way. Gunner has nice zoning tools, but that's it. Keep away alone doesn't work, if you can't net the stock. In regard to the kill throw you are referring to? Neither one doesn't kill till almost 200%, and i can DI the laser shot on the back throw to survive even longer. So not sure what you meant there. Im assuming the 0 to death involves some sort of Gimp of macs recovery? Its bad, but its not linear or predictable to the point you can punish it on reaction, you still have to guess the mixup i choose and get the proper read. and that's assuming you get me offstage first. In all honesty, Gunner only has the tools to zone mac out, and his tools are similar to ness (and subpar in that regard.) However, i can't claim to know everything there is to know about this MU, since we only have one gunner in our state (and a meh one at that.)

On the subject of Cloud. Yes, cloud has the best spacing and juggle tools of the entire cast, and might be one of macs worse matchups. But he must play PERFECTLY. a misspaced aerial, a rushed approach, mistimed grab or attack, and cloud gets punished super hard (Cloud also gets comboed pretty hard, and little mac thrives off of that.) Patience for mac is key, and he doesn't have to press against cloud until he sees an opening.

On the subject of platform camping, refer to the first part of my post. here is a brief summary of the stages mac will play on everytime if he bans right game one:

FD: no platforms, nuff said.
T&C: FD almost half the time, plenty of time in 3 min.
Lylat: can shark the 2 end platforms with Usmash, and the middle one depending on how Lylat is tilting. No safe place to camp.

Little Mac's advantage state isn't the best for sure. But he does indeed have very reliable kill confirms such as Dtilt>JC Up B is gaurenteed, and kills at about 100% on midweights. And his punish game is one of the best because of SUPER ARMORED smash attacks. This also brings up the other point that almost nothing is safe against mac to throw out in neutral (Barring projectiles, and a few niche moves i can't remember to name.) which is something the rest of the cast just doesn't have.

Yes, he doesn't get the most damaging combos in terms of percent. He doesn't need it because he has the most safe, fast, high powered kill options in the game. he doesn't need to get the opponent to 100% percent in order to net the stock. And that is what is the most important in this game. Netting the stock, which little mac is very, very good at.

Again, he doesn't need a good edge guard game. Because he's netting the stock off a punish, or a win in neutral at around 80%.

The only way i can accurately argue the point on his disadvantage state is to show a gify or a vid of every character attempting a juggle in every kind of way, and showing all of macs different options and how effective/ineffective they are on said attempt at juggle. And that would take way too much text in this post to attempt (and the amount of time to collect all the footage would not be worth it.) Seeing is believing, but in this case, i'll admit i don't want to go through the time and effort to prove it so.
The main point i was going for was that mac has multiple options to deal with him being stuck in the air, and ironically, platforms help him out greatly with that.

Anything i missed? Another question or Counter? im all ears. (And im not trying to sound like a cocky *******, so please don't take my post as such.)
Gunner's fair also combos into many of Gunner's moves (these combos and follow ups are listed in the true combo and follow up thread). It can true combo into charge blast at low percents and this is a kill setup at high percents. Fair can combo into dash attack and start a string into another fair. Also Gunner's fair combos into itself. While Gunner has a strong keep away game, Gunner can also get some solid conversions from winning the neutral. Also, fair is safe on perfect shielding. The 0 to death combo that Gunner has against Little Mac involves grab releasing Little Mac off of the stage and using down smash to spike Little Mac (due to the distance that the grab release sends Little Mac, his options are covered by down smash. Escaping the grab release downward would also get Little Mac killed by down smash. The combo counter considers it a true combo, and it is very easy to gimp Little Mac from a grab release since he is not able to get a high recovery). While it is not a reliable kill confirm since it is very easy to escape a dashgrab at 0% (Little Mac also can avoid the down smash with the help of a wall jump), it shows that Little Mac's recovery can get him killed very early. Back throw at the ledge can kill Little Mac around 140% since it sends Little Mac too far to recover. Also, Gunner's zoning tools are not similar to Ness (Our shorthop fair is a much faster and safer option than either Ness or Lucas's PK Fire. Also, charging charge blast is a great option to get opponents to approach Gunner that Ness or Lucas don't have. In addition gundashing with fair allows Gunner to have more mobility in the neutral than either of them). Did you mean Lucas?

I agree that Little Mac's advantage state is good (I was surprised that it only got one star on the last advantage state list), but it isn't good enough to warrant a 4 star rating. The characters that I have listed in my last post clearly have better advantage states than Little Mac along with :4lucario:,:4falcon:,:4charizard:, and:4myfriends:(due to their more reliable combo games and reward from grabs. They also have good kill confirms and power). The great amount of characters that have better advantage states (along with the other characters that arguably have better advantage states) than Little Mac are more than enough to keep him out of the 4 star range for advantage state.

Some of Little Mac's recovery mixups are stage dependent. Also characters like Mii Gunner can cover his options very easily (flame pillar covers the ledge for at least 40 frames, and this is very deadly to Little Mac's recovery. Spamming flame pillar at the ledge can kill Little Mac very early. Gunner can also use up smash to catch rolls and jumps. Charge blast or fsmash can also cover every ledge option when timed properly. A misspaced flame pillar along with up smash covers every ledge option). Little Mac's landing options are solid, but they can be punished, and they are not enough to make up for his recovery. For these reasons, Little Mac's disadvantage state is not very good.

Coopwastaken

Smash Rookie
NNID
LanceHS
3DS FC
5086-1628-1357
:4palutena: Compare her Neutral with characters in Rank 1 and 1.5.

While Palutena is definitely a very weak character, I think her neutral stacks up against those in the 2 star range. If we look at the 5 other characters in 1/1.5, none of them really threaten you in neutral. As long as you trade with the weak characters or wait for end lag from the heavy characters, you should be fine fighting them at all times. With palutena, it's not as easy (although still easy compared to the rest of the cast) to get in and stop what she wants. She has a fair that has good range and has little/no end lag in short hops, along with dair doing the same thing. However with dair, she trades the range to have a move that is invincible on her shield. That can also be said for dash attack since it has the same property. You have to be careful not to challenge either move because you will note trade, you lose.Jab 1 also has a really good follow up into grab. Reflector obviously isn't a huge deal but does help in niche matchups so it's something to consider. I think she should move up to 2 star and we re-evaluate that rank because I think that 2/2.5 could use the most work.

:4kirby: Compare his Neutral with characters in Rank 1.5 and 2.

Perfectly fine where he is at. He has a sub par neutral at best if his opponent allows kirby to come down on top of him with dair, which shouldn't happen. Kirby really can't short hop aerials out because they don't have good hitboxes or just leave him open for too much. His ground game is just as bad with having a ground run speed on the slower half of the cast and with only one real approach option being dash grab. Dash attack is so laughable and you should eat a hard punish if you didn't get a read or they mis-inputed. Everyone in 1/1.5 doesn't have many solid options that are ever safe if the opponent knows the matchup. I say he is perfect in his current spot.

I won't touch on this too much since I already went into it with the first post on this page, but ask yourself if everyone else in 3 can do anything more than just dash attack and dash grab. If they can, they most likely have a better neutral.

:4sonic: Compare his Neutral with characters in Rank 4 and lower.

Once again, refer to my post at the end of page 2. No one else in 3/3.5/4 avoids neutral like sonic does (except maybe mario but that is another discussion). I would like to see a drop to 3 honestly, with more debate to bring him even lower if anyone else would like to comment on him.

Clockzarb

Smash Rookie
I'll give my insight on these few characters.

Meta Knight :4metaknight:: This character has one of the worst neutrals in the game. He cannot space in neutral with his fair/bair due to how laggy they are and how short his sword is. He also can't really approach with dair because once again, the sword is too short. That leaves him with really only ground options and special moves. None of his specials help him out due to how predictable all of them are and how much end lag each move has. Now we only have ground options which aren't great as is. He doesn't gain anything from Perfect pivoting his tilts. That leaves us with his only two real options: Dash attack and Dash Grab. Completely ignoring how insane the punish is if he lands either of these, they really suck. Meta knight can't really mix you up since it's just a constant 50/50, and I don't mean that in a good way. Everyone else in tier 3 has at least a decent aerial to space in neutral or a projectile to help influence how their opponent approaches them/plays the neutral. I definitely see him dropped half a star or a full star
I agree with this.

MK has only a few options in neutral which makes his approaches very linear and predictible. But saying that a character can't approach isn't really saying that it has a bad neutral. However in MK's case, he can't really force approach either due to his lack of projectile. His only tool to make people come is the lack of patience of the opponent and the clock when MK has the lead. So the most majority of the cast can force MK to approach, which is not very good for him. Fortunately for him, he has some good tools to fight camping (mostly dash speed, downB, 6 jumps and decent roll).
Because of his linear approach, MK when facing a good opponent won't be able just to DA or dash grab in so he will have to bait and punish, which can be tricky. MK will most likely try to bait something and punish with DA, dash grab or uair mainly, which can be hard against a lot of characters because they know that MK is looking for it, even though DA is really good as a move.

I don't know if that's a good argument but I'll add that MK has one of the best advantage of the game (i think i don't need to explain point) but he also have one of the best disadvantage of the game. His recovery power is too good to be edgeguarded, he can mix-up recovery with ALL of his specials, so MK has almost no fear being off stage. Then when he is above his opponent he can easily try to go for the ledge to avoid the juggle pressure, then again he can just decide to go offstage where there's no ground for the 'juggler' to use. Dair and downB are good as well. Or he can just wait and jump to find the key moment to land. Lastly he can evade easily combo because he can DI away and mash jump out of everything with no fear (or almost), a thing that could put other character in a very disadvantegous state but not MK because of his 'recovery power'.
And my point with this if that a character with a godlike advantage and a godlike disadvantage is not winning every tournament, then there's probably something wrong with its neutral ? Again I don't know if that argument is relevant. And maybe I'm overrtating MK's disadvantage ?

Unfortunately I can't really compare in details MK's neutral to other 3 star character's neutral because I solo main MK and I do not have a lot of knowledge of the other character, but I think that MK's neutral should be ranked lower.

tl, dr : MK can't force approach, so he will have to approach with his linear approach, which is bad for his neutral. MK has one of the very best advantage and disadvantage of the game, but he's not performing that well, isn't that a proof that his neutral isn't that good ?

I hope this will help.

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
MK has one of the worst neutrals in the game?

I mean

Are you really going to make me write an essay on why it's not?

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
MK has one of the worst neutrals in the game?

I mean

Are you really going to make me write an essay on why it's not?
If you can bring reasons besides the fear of his advantage playing into his neutral or dash attack being dumb, Fsmash being a baiting tool (what if they don't take the bait?), or something, go ahead B. Cuz I think MK's neutral is reliant on dash attack and that makes him linear.

Last edited:

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Alrighty folks, get ready

So, I'm going to go ahead and preface this with something very, very important. A lot of people in this have no actual understanding of what "neutral" actually is. A prime example of this is the fact that they are posting here at all. This thread is useless, unproductive, and generally harmful. I'm gonna end that there, you'll understand what I mean by the end of this.

First and foremost. You need to take everything you think you know about "neutral", within a character based context, and pretty much throw that out because it's wrong. Characters don't have "neutrals". People play neutral. Characters have neutral tools. If you ever have written, will write, or think about writing that X fighter has Y arbitrary "neutral" ability, you need to take that thought and throw it away. People play neutral. Characters have neutral tools. What is a tool? Well besides the obvious, a tool is an option that is either safe or unsafe depending on the matchup. There are no inherently bad or good tools, they are just tools. A tool can be used properly or improperly. Again, you, as the player, are controlling your character. You are playing neutral, not the fighter.

For instance, I'm going to give an example. MK's ftilt is a tool. Is it a good tool? No, it's just a tool. It's a tool that happens to be effective in certain matchups and situations that you must be able to identify. MK's ftilt is extremely useful in situations where it will outrange or out frame data another character's tools. For instance, in the MK vs Mario matchup, MK's ftilt has extreme levels of utility. With proper spacing and movement (perfect pivoting, walking, etc) you can easily outspace against all of Mario's grounded normal attacks, and the final hit will intercept Mario's short hop, due to it's high vertical range. Does this mean you should use ftilt a lot in the matchup? Not necessarily. You should use it if it will be an effective tool in context. This is important.

Now, you might be thinking, OK well if I shouldn't grade a character's neutral itself, surely I can evaluate how good their neutral tools are?

Nope, wrong again.

Looking at this in such a narrow vacuum is unproductive and generally harmful. It's harmful for you, yourself, to understand it in this way, and it's harmful towards the people reading what you post (either because they believe you, or because they get a massive headache reading it)

This has definitely been mentioned before, so I won't get into too much detail, but I will make some points I haven't seen mentioned.

When you, as a player, are playing your neutral game, the actions you take are based on what your goals are and what things you want to avoid happening to you. As MK, your goals are fairly simple: I want to kill my opponent as efficiently as possible, with the minimum amount of effort/overextension. As a result, players, especially at the low and mid levels of play, will often focus on doing solely one thing. They will either:

1. Stand in one spot and wait for their opponent to commit to an unsafe action

2. Randomly mash their face on the A button

Remember how I said that a character's neutral tools are neither good, nor bad? Well how you play neutral can most certainly bad (in fact it almost assuredly is)

Playing neutral is not about mashing out a character's "good" options until you win, as many people would have you think.

Fighting games are hard. They are hard because you are constantly having to predict to/react to/anticipate/apply pressure to your opponent. If you aren't playing this game, it's because you either have no understanding of how this game actually works, or your opponent doesn't and you don't either (The latter accounts for the case that you are winning against other people).

OBVIOUSLY, if you run around and mash dash attack, you're going to be punished. Coming on smashboards and ****posting about MK afterwards is not helpful. Learn from your mistakes.

Now, I can say what I really wanted to say with this point. MK's entire gameplan, and how you execute it, is entirely based on the risk/reward of the options you choose. Look at early MK play from >1 year ago, before ladder combos were exploited. MK was still a functional fighter... with a completely different playstyle. Did you see MKs randomly mashing dash attack? No, they played safe bait/punish games focused around MK's strong kill moves and good frame data on the ground. How the character was played changed dramatically when the fighter's advantage state became better. You must understand this. You cannot separate these things.

I'll give a practical example. Say Sheik's upb gets nerfed, it recovers less than half as far as it did before. Is Sheik played the same was as she was before? No. Every single attribute of this fighter has been adversely affected by this change. She can no longer go as deep to chase after people because the risk/reward has been skewed. As a result, you will no longer see Sheiks play their neutral game exactly the same way because they know that, hey if get into a position where I'm taking you offstage, and I mess up, I will die 100% of the time.

Now, with all this said, I'm going to go ahead and address specific issues people have with MK + his options and tell you why you're wrong (sorry)

I agree with this.

MK has only a few options in neutral which makes his approaches very linear and predictible.
This is wrong. MK has exactly the same amount of options as every other fighter. (besides Ryu o:) Are they good options? Damn you like asking this question. They are effective options if you are using them correctly. MK's fair is an awkward move. Does that mean it's bad? No, it has uses. You need to recognize this. For instance, Abadango has innovated with this specific move a lot. Watch Abadango play against a Rosa player. He will fall onto Luma with fair extremely often and kill Luma because of it. It's a tool you must learn how to utilize or you won't be a complete player.

However in MK's case, he can't really force approach either due to his lack of projectile.
I don't think I need to tell you why this is wrong.

His only tool to make people come is the lack of patience of the opponent and the clock when MK has the lead. So the most majority of the cast can force MK to approach, which is not very good for him. Fortunately for him, he has some good tools to fight camping (mostly dash speed, downB, 6 jumps and decent roll).
OK so I take a lot of issue with these particular statements for a number of reasons. First and foremost, MK is quite comfortable stalling and waiting. MK has no issues with this. Why you think he does, I have no idea. And it's not like he's defenseless in doing so. MK has extremely effective anti-airs and anti-approach tools. There are only a few moves he truly has issues dealing with (they are pretty much sheiks forward air and ZSS's aerials in general, though in zss's case there is strong counterplay)

As for not being able to force approach, I just need to remind you that neutral is not something you can look at in a vacuum (again)

Any time you are fighting an MK, you are living in fear of him. Plain and simple. You are afraid at all times. This will affect your play. As the MK player, if you can keep your opponent afraid, you don't need to force any issues. You can apply pressure through movement but you don't need to truly commit to anything. You can wait. Or you can just call them out on their passive play and grab them/dash attack them/sh uair them.

Because of his linear approach, MK when facing a good opponent won't be able just to DA or dash grab in so he will have to bait and punish, which can be tricky. MK will most likely try to bait something and punish with DA, dash grab or uair mainly, which can be hard against a lot of characters because they know that MK is looking for it, even though DA is really good as a move.
You just.. completely don't have any understanding of mind games/footsie mentality at all. I recommend you watch this video. It's really good:

Oh boy. Where to even begin. Honestly, I get such a headache reading this, I don't even want to read it the amount of times I would need to, to be able to properly respond. Hang on. I'm gonna get another cup of coffee.

Much better...

OK. So, I'm just going to break this down, one sentence at a time, so as to prevent an aneurysm.

Meta Knight :4metaknight:: This character has one of the worst neutrals in the game. He cannot space in neutral with his fair/bair due to how laggy they are and how short his sword is.
OK, maybe this was a bad idea. How about, we just dont space with fair then? Wow, it's like, the problem doesn't exist if you don't make it exist. Next.

He also can't really approach with dair because once again, the sword is too short.
Why are you approaching with dair holy ****. Yeah. MK has no "always effective" approaching sh aerials. And uh, also, have you ever even used dair? The hitbox is a lot better than you're making it out to be. Also FH dair is safe on shield 100%. You have to understand this tool. It is effective for what it does. Over extend a little bit? Try FH dair, it will get you out of trouble a lot. Don't rely on it though.

That leaves him with really only ground options and special moves. None of his specials help him out due to how predictable all of them are and how much end lag each move has.
You know who else has really good grounded options minus specials? Captain Falcon. Does Captain Falcon have a good neutral? That was a trick question. You should know by now. Bad.

He doesn't gain anything from Perfect pivoting his tilts.
See, you don't understand what makes perfect pivot good at all. If you did, you would see the fact the MK has one of the longest perfect pivots in the game, and say "wow, this option would be really good for positioning/baiting/dodging in almost every situation, because it goes far and has zero commitment."

But, you didn't see that, and you didn't think that. Instead, you only looked at in the context of "Hey, if I perfect pivot, whats the fastest way I can mash my face on my controller immediately after?"

That leaves us with his only two real options: Dash attack and Dash Grab. Completely ignoring how insane the punish is if he lands either of these, they really suck.
Oh jesus

I think you forgot a ton of options there, first off. I don't even think I need to address the second statement at this point.

Meta knight can't really mix you up since it's just a constant 50/50, and I don't mean that in a good way.
I'm not sure you even know what 50/50 means.

Everyone else in tier 3 has at least a decent aerial to space in neutral or a projectile to help influence how their opponent approaches them/plays the neutral. I definitely see him dropped half a star or a full star
Let me bring you back to Captain Falcon. Captain falcon has a bad neutral amirite

Well. I don't really have anything more to say, besides that I'd like to take you back to my preface. In conclusion, please delete thread thanks. It's stupid and awful and I'm sick of being linked here when people say stupid **** about Metaknight.

Thanks for your time.

Clockzarb

Smash Rookie
Thanks for taking time answering Amadeus. I think you helped me to understand something I have trouble to understand. Thank you for that :)

I'm sorry if what I may have posted here upset you, but I don't think that I have to apologize for not being that knowledgeable and trying to be involved in the community. Should I ?

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Thanks for taking time answering Amadeus. I think you helped me to understand something I have trouble to understand. Thank you for that :)

I'm sorry if what I may have posted here upset you, but I don't think that I have to apologize for not being that knowledgeable and trying to be involved in the community. Should I ?
Nah, you don't lol. Discussion is good. It's still just annoying to read so much misinformation, so I tend to get a little heated. I hope at least my contributions can be seen in a generally positive light.

Coopwastaken

Smash Rookie
NNID
LanceHS
3DS FC
5086-1628-1357
Before I start this post, let me preface by saying I think a lot in the quoted post is hugely personal opinion on how the game should be look at and how it should be played. While I think some points make sense, there are points where it's specifically targeting people for having a different opinion on how things should be looked at. I'm fine with discussion to enlighten those, including myself, who are wrong, but doing it in an aggressive and negative fashion is surely wrong.

With that out of the way, I'm going to cut down most of the post and address the most important things because I think a lot is opinion and there isn't a point in arguing what exactly is neutral.

I'll give a practical example. Say Sheik's upb gets nerfed, it recovers less than half as far as it did before. Is Sheik played the same was as she was before? No. Every single attribute of this fighter has been adversely affected by this change. She can no longer go as deep to chase after people because the risk/reward has been skewed. As a result, you will no longer see Sheiks play their neutral game exactly the same way because they know that, hey if get into a position where I'm taking you offstage, and I mess up, I will die 100% of the time.

If vanish changed, the entire neutral from sheik wouldn't change. It would mean if I hit you with a fair offstage, I just won't chase. My entire gameplay on stage is still the same: combos to take on percent to lead into a hard read or the down throw 50/50 for the kill

In regards to fair not having a lot of use

Does that mean it's bad? No, it has uses. You need to recognize this.

I agree it has it's use. Just like samus has a very niche use against Luigi if someone struggles with the matchup. Does that make samus better on the tier list? Slightly, but that doesn't mean she isn't trash against 90% of the cast. This entire thread is about evaluating how often can a character use it's tools. If it can't use those tools often, then it is more limited in options and in turn, can result in a worse neutral. Sheik's fair and Mac's Super armor will help in 90% of matchups, so that's why they would get a high rating.

As for not being able to force approach, I just need to remind you that neutral is not something you can look at in a vacuum

So, in regards to how I think(and how I feel most people are thinking of neutral) we are thinking from an approach standpoint. Waiting and appropriately punishing is more in the punish category. I think it is important to say what he can do to stop if someone approaches with something in neutral and I left that out. That's hard for me to see from not being a MK player, so I apologize for leaving that out.

Oh boy. Where to even begin. Honestly, I get such a headache reading this, I don't even want to read it the amount of times I would need to, to be able to properly respond. Hang on. I'm gonna get another cup of coffee.

Much better...

I would try not being suck a jerk. But that's just my opinion

OK, maybe this was a bad idea. How about, we just dont space with fair then? Wow, it's like, the problem doesn't exist if you don't make it exist. Next.

I bring it up because it's something to think about in regards to how many tools does a character have that can be applied often or how good they are. Sheik's fair is a tool that can be applied often and is really good. Imagine that adds a tally to sheik. Obviously we don't take these directly as like +1 point to someone and go straight off those numbers, but it's important to see how much a character can do in neutral and how much they can cover with said good options.

Why are you approaching with dair holy ****. Yeah. MK has no "always effective" approaching sh aerials.

When considering neutral, being able to fight in the air is important when so many characters have good aerials.

Try FH dair, it will get you out of trouble a lot. Don't rely on it though.

Did not know this, good to know he has a solid out of shield option with FH dair.

You know who else has really good grounded options minus specials? Captain Falcon. Does Captain Falcon have a good neutral?

I honestly think it's not great, but it isn't necessarily bottom of the cast. I say MK and CF both fall under the line where they have to rely a lot more on bait and punish (again, I think this thread talks more about what you do in two neutral positions, not in a situation where someone whiffs and then you follow up)

See, you don't understand what makes perfect pivot good at all. If you did, you would see the fact the MK has one of the longest perfect pivots in the game, and say "wow, this option would be really good for positioning/baiting/dodging in almost every situation, because it goes far and has zero commitment."

I think perfect pivoting usually plays a bigger role in putting yourself in a better position offensively, whether it be to start a combo or continue one. Foxtrot away I believe is almost as good (with PP being just a tad better due to a little more distance maybe depending on character foxtrots/being turned towards your opponents) since I don't believe turning around takes any extra frames.

But, you didn't see that, and you didn't think that. Instead, you only looked at in the context of "Hey, if I perfect pivot, whats the fastest way I can mash my face on my controller immediately after?"

Yeah, keep up the trend of telling everyone in the thread they are ********. Great way to act in the community.

Oh jesus

I think you forgot a ton of options there, first off. I don't even think I need to address the second statement at this point.

I'm talking about a different 50/50 than what we regard sheik's d-throw is. I'm saying when approaching someone, you can't really use your tilts or your aerials, leaving you with 1 of 2 options that your opponent is expecting.

Let me bring you back to Captain Falcon. Captain falcon has a bad neutral amirite

Explained above.
Added what I thought in bold. If you really hate this thread this much, leave it then. You can come in with information to help others understand what they have wrong, but being an arrogant prick and talking down to everyone is the worst way to do it. I've learned some more about metaknight thanks to your post and properly had some more discussion with my local MK player (The Forkies, if that means anything to anyone who knows him). What I came out of this is that honestly, neutral is just so much harder for most people below 3.5 (and even some above need to be moved around to make this more true) since they just don't have access to as many tools as the higher rated characters or their tools just aren't as useful.

Last edited:

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
Before I start this post, let me preface by saying I think a lot in the quoted post is hugely personal opinion on how the game should be look at and how it should be played. While I think some points make sense, there are points where it's specifically targeting people for having a different opinion on how things should be looked at. I'm fine with discussion to enlighten those, including myself, who are wrong, but doing it in an aggressive and negative fashion is surely wrong.

With that out of the way, I'm going to cut down most of the post and address the most important things because I think a lot is opinion and there isn't a point in arguing what exactly is neutral.

Added what I thought in bold. If you really hate this thread this much, leave it then. You can come in with information to help others understand what they have wrong, but being an arrogant prick and talking down to everyone is the worst way to do it. I've learned some more about metaknight thanks to your post and properly had some more discussion with my local MK player (The Forkies, if that means anything to anyone who knows him). What I came out of this is that honestly, neutral is just so much harder for most people below 3.5 (and even some above need to be moved around to make this more true) since they just don't have access to as many tools as the higher rated characters or their tools just aren't as useful.
You are completely misunderstanding my post, 100%. I'm talking about neutral/footsie theory as a whole, not strictly confined to just smash.

Viewing "neutral" in a vacuum is harmful. Attacking my secondary points is fallacious, you're not addressing my main point at all.

I don't have time at the moment to respond properly, but I likely will soon, so hang on.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
Alrighty folks, get ready

So, I'm going to go ahead and preface this with something very, very important. A lot of people in this have no actual understanding of what "neutral" actually is. A prime example of this is the fact that they are posting here at all. This thread is useless, unproductive, and generally harmful. I'm gonna end that there, you'll understand what I mean by the end of this.

First and foremost. You need to take everything you think you know about "neutral", within a character based context, and pretty much throw that out because it's wrong. Characters don't have "neutrals". People play neutral. Characters have neutral tools. If you ever have written, will write, or think about writing that X fighter has Y arbitrary "neutral" ability, you need to take that thought and throw it away. People play neutral. Characters have neutral tools. What is a tool? Well besides the obvious, a tool is an option that is either safe or unsafe depending on the matchup. There are no inherently bad or good tools, they are just tools. A tool can be used properly or improperly. Again, you, as the player, are controlling your character. You are playing neutral, not the fighter.

For instance, I'm going to give an example. MK's ftilt is a tool. Is it a good tool? No, it's just a tool. It's a tool that happens to be effective in certain matchups and situations that you must be able to identify. MK's ftilt is extremely useful in situations where it will outrange or out frame data another character's tools. For instance, in the MK vs Mario matchup, MK's ftilt has extreme levels of utility. With proper spacing and movement (perfect pivoting, walking, etc) you can easily outspace against all of Mario's grounded normal attacks, and the final hit will intercept Mario's short hop, due to it's high vertical range. Does this mean you should use ftilt a lot in the matchup? Not necessarily. You should use it if it will be an effective tool in context. This is important.

Now, you might be thinking, OK well if I shouldn't grade a character's neutral itself, surely I can evaluate how good their neutral tools are?

Nope, wrong again.

Looking at this in such a narrow vacuum is unproductive and generally harmful. It's harmful for you, yourself, to understand it in this way, and it's harmful towards the people reading what you post (either because they believe you, or because they get a massive headache reading it)

This has definitely been mentioned before, so I won't get into too much detail, but I will make some points I haven't seen mentioned.

When you, as a player, are playing your neutral game, the actions you take are based on what your goals are and what things you want to avoid happening to you. As MK, your goals are fairly simple: I want to kill my opponent as efficiently as possible, with the minimum amount of effort/overextension. As a result, players, especially at the low and mid levels of play, will often focus on doing solely one thing. They will either:

1. Stand in one spot and wait for their opponent to commit to an unsafe action

2. Randomly mash their face on the A button

Remember how I said that a character's neutral tools are neither good, nor bad? Well how you play neutral can most certainly bad (in fact it almost assuredly is)

Playing neutral is not about mashing out a character's "good" options until you win, as many people would have you think.

Fighting games are hard. They are hard because you are constantly having to predict to/react to/anticipate/apply pressure to your opponent. If you aren't playing this game, it's because you either have no understanding of how this game actually works, or your opponent doesn't and you don't either (The latter accounts for the case that you are winning against other people).

OBVIOUSLY, if you run around and mash dash attack, you're going to be punished. Coming on smashboards and ****posting about MK afterwards is not helpful. Learn from your mistakes.

Now, I can say what I really wanted to say with this point. MK's entire gameplan, and how you execute it, is entirely based on the risk/reward of the options you choose. Look at early MK play from >1 year ago, before ladder combos were exploited. MK was still a functional fighter... with a completely different playstyle. Did you see MKs randomly mashing dash attack? No, they played safe bait/punish games focused around MK's strong kill moves and good frame data on the ground. How the character was played changed dramatically when the fighter's advantage state became better. You must understand this. You cannot separate these things.

Now, with all this said, I'm going to go ahead and address specific issues people have with MK + his options and tell you why you're wrong (sorry)

This is wrong. MK has exactly the same amount of options as every other fighter. (besides Ryu o:) Are they good options? Damn you like asking this question. They are effective options if you are using them correctly. MK's fair is an awkward move. Does that mean it's bad? No, it has uses. You need to recognize this. For instance, Abadango has innovated with this specific move a lot. Watch Abadango play against a Rosa player. He will fall onto Luma with fair extremely often and kill Luma because of it. It's a tool you must learn how to utilize or you won't be a complete player.

I don't think I need to tell you why this is wrong.

OK so I take a lot of issue with these particular statements for a number of reasons. First and foremost, MK is quite comfortable stalling and waiting. MK has no issues with this. Why you think he does, I have no idea. And it's not like he's defenseless in doing so. MK has extremely effective anti-airs and anti-approach tools. There are only a few moves he truly has issues dealing with (they are pretty much sheiks forward air and ZSS's aerials in general, though in zss's case there is strong counterplay)

As for not being able to force approach, I just need to remind you that neutral is not something you can look at in a vacuum (again)

Any time you are fighting an MK, you are living in fear of him. Plain and simple. You are afraid at all times. This will affect your play. As the MK player, if you can keep your opponent afraid, you don't need to force any issues. You can apply pressure through movement but you don't need to truly commit to anything. You can wait. Or you can just call them out on their passive play and grab them/dash attack them/sh uair them.

You just.. completely don't have any understanding of mind games/footsie mentality at all. I recommend you watch this video. It's really good:

Much better...

OK. So, I'm just going to break this down, one sentence at a time, so as to prevent an aneurysm.

Why are you approaching with dair holy ****. Yeah. MK has no "always effective" approaching sh aerials. And uh, also, have you ever even used dair? The hitbox is a lot better than you're making it out to be. Also FH dair is safe on shield 100%. You have to understand this tool. It is effective for what it does. Over extend a little bit? Try FH dair, it will get you out of trouble a lot. Don't rely on it though.

You know who else has really good grounded options minus specials? Captain Falcon. Does Captain Falcon have a good neutral? That was a trick question. You should know by now. Bad.

Oh jesus

Well. I don't really have anything more to say, besides that I'd like to take you back to my preface. In conclusion, please delete thread thanks. It's stupid and awful and I'm sick of being linked here when people say stupid **** about Metaknight.

Thanks for your time.
Disregarding the comments that you have made about having this topic closed, it seems as though the core of your argument actually revolves around Meta Knight warranting a higher placement as opposed to anything else, interestingly enough.

While your statement about people playing the neutral, and characters having neutral tools isn't exactly false, it isn't exactly the truth either. When people talk about the neutral, they generally talk about both the characters and the players collectively, from what I have gathered. However, what is erroneous is that yes, while certain neutral tools yeild much more effective results (or less effective results) depending on the matchup, it doesn't exactly disregard there not being "good neutral tools" and "bad neutral tools". This is because there are two additional factors to consider. The first factor is the combined synergy that a character's entire moveset has with eachother in regards to the neutral state (or any state for that matter), and the second factor is the combined success rate that a character's specific neutral tool/entire neutral kit has with the entirety of the cast. Like you have stated, the neutral can vastly differ from matchup to matchup. However, the overall combined value of a character's potential in the neutral can only be stretched so far. Results, frame data, tier lists, and etc all point towards this being true. Because math is always going to be involved. Despite the ludicrous number of variables and options to consider, the "bigger numbers" are more likely going to win. Are they the only factor? Certainly not. Player skill, matchup strengths/weaknesses, your character's overall entire kit of options, and etc will push past the supposed success rate that those said numbers would otherwise quantify as. But this sort of potential can only be pushed so far. And just like with tier lists, "the neutral" that I am trying to look for isn't just "character X beats character Y". But rather, "character X has a far higher chance of beating character Y due to their overall potential", because the overall rate of a character's maximum potential when utilizing their tools in the neutral can't be stretched to infinity. Some characters will just end up drawing a shorter stick than others. It's as simple as that. Well, not really, but in the grand scheme of things once every variable and possibility and level of skill and etc is taken into factor. This is certainly a lot of data to try to compare all at once, but this project is nowhere near being done to begin with. It would take a very long time to complete. Easily longer than a year. Especially since the competitive metagame will always be shifting and changing, and nobody knows when a surprise patch could just bombard us out of nowhere. But that's okay. There's nothing wrong with waiting, and giving time for something to grow. At least, in my eyes, anyways. I have an extremely ample amount of patience for something like this, though I completely understand if others aren't the same way as I am. (Just to be clear, I am not saying that you are impatient/I am just speaking out loud, is all)

And yes, while looking at things in a vacuum is certainly harmful, I feel as though that "locking things in a closet" can be equally as harmful. If not more-so. The Smash community has been around for a very long time. And in that time, people's level of understanding on how each game's metagame plays out have vastly improved, and our ability to process this has become faster and faster with each iteration. So while the amount of characters, and therefore variables, in Smash 4 is definitely the largest, and by extension it makes things easier to look at into a vacuum; I am not too worried. Because, thanks to conflicting information and different opinions (yours included), it becomes far easier to judge things on a more efficient and more factual level as opposed to me looking at this alone. Will things be perfect this way? No, and they never will be. But will it be better? Certainly. If I alone was to try to look at all of this information by myself, it would easily be impossible. But thanks to both the supporters and opposers of this thread, the lines within the data become clearer to see, and I can feel more and more confident in the overall collective thoughts that have been gathered for the characters, and how they can be judged. Because I try to do my best to look at this as a community, and not just my own thoughts weighing in against everyone else's. Does that mean that I am free of bias? Or anyone free of bias, for that matter? Hell no, lol. But I am okay with that, because I don't mind working with other people. Not to mention, other people such as yourself can keep me in check, and vice-versa. So while my opinions will definitely differ from yours in a number of areas, I am still very appreciative of what you (and everyone else) has posted, and I try to keep everyone's opinions and feelings in mind when making these lists. The thing is? I want them to be judged, because I want them to be better. If this topic was completely free of criticism or differing opinions, it would most certainly produce undesired and more-biased results, and I definitely don't want that to happen. But whenever someone finds enough interest to post here, even if it is just to criticize, it helps this topic grow for the better. And that couldn't be accomplished without opinions like yours. A little bit of spice to mix into the pot, which I don't mind at all. So even though you personally don't like this topic, I thank you for posting in it.

The way that I value the three states is somewhat complicated, to say in the least. I see them separately from eachother, and at the same time, I don't. So when I consider what is the "Neutral State", the "Advantage State", and the "Disadvantage State", most of the time tools for one will bleed into another. The best way that I explain how I look at this is from a matter of perspective. For example: Protons, Neutrons, and Electrons. Every atom is comprised of these same components, and yet said atoms can turn out vastly different from eachother depending on the structure of said atom. Each individual part that makes up the atom can be viewed separately, but at the same time, they are still connected together. It is still all just one atom. Basically, I view everything like this.. Where Red is the Advantage State, Green is the Neutral State, Blue is the Disadvantage State, and White is the overall value a character has once all of these things have been taken into account. Obviously, there are problems with this, since "the neutral" is overall going to be the largest and most important factor to determine a character's competitive viability...but the overall principle of how I view it still applies, despite my own personal problems with it. Magenta, Yellow, and Cyan are where the three states can bleed into eachother. So, if one were to look at things this way, more defined lines can be seen between the three rankings. They can be seen separately, due to the success rate brought about by their own individual qualities. But despite this, it is all secondary nature to the overall kit that the character possesses. They are all still connected. They are all part of a character's whole kit. It is all still a single image within a single hyperlink that you are seeing on your computer monitor. But regardless, the different colors can easily be spotted. And I feel as though that this applies to the characters as well. So, when I judge the characters, I judge these states both on their individual qualities and their overall combined qualities in regards to competitively play. The maximum amount of potential and success rate that can be stretched not just from each move, and each state that a character possesses. But also the total synergy that every single move, and every single state combined can provide to the character against the entire cast of characters and their tools/options, when optimal play is taken into factor ("optimal realistic play" anyways). So my thoughts on this can understandably be quite confusing. However, simply put: I don't disagree with the example you have provided for Sheik whatsoever in regards to how changing just her Up B would affect the character in her entire. In fact, it is quite the opposite. I wholeheartedly support it, and I agree with it.

However, the way that I see it isn't as simple as "A weaker Up B means that Sheik will have -3/-3/-3 in regards to her Neutral/Advantage/Disadvantage states". Rather, the way that I equate it to is "A weaker Up B means that Sheik will have a -3/-1/-4 in regards to her Neutral/Advantage/Disadvantage states". This is a very crude example, but it should get my thoughts across. A single change to just one of Sheik's moves was detrimental to the overall synergy of her kit. But this change affected each and every single set-piece of her kit differently. Therefore, while all of these things dropped relative to eachother as a result from a single change, the way that it affected each individual state can't be viewed in the same way by comparison. The fact that it made her weaker overall cannot be disputed. But at the same time, the fact that it made certain qualities about her weaker than others cannot be disputed, as well. So, in summary, that is a basic example of how I try to view and judge each and every single possible part, variable, matchup, tool, and etc within this topic. And believe me, it isn't easy. But it is much easier to actually do rather than to explain. Especially since I know that my mind alone isn't the only one working on this. But rather, the combined minds of everyone whom wishes to partake in this topic of discussion. Granted, it is still a lot to take in, and there will be many disputes over the rankings/how they are judged/if they can be judged/etc will be different and all that. But I truly feel as though, with enough time, this topic can prosper if given the chance. And when anybody posts in here, I do the absolute best that I can to make sure that everyone has an equal chance to explain themselves, their thoughts, and their feelings in regards to the characters. But despite this, I also want everyone to know that I put a lot of thought into this. So when you see a character that is higher or lower than how you think/feel as though they should be, please understand that it has nothing to do with me not considering someone's thoughts/feelings, nor is it me trying to base characters by favorites. As neither thing is simply the case. And, if anything, it is likely that I might've overlooked something. Because that is very easy to do when you have 58 characters and god knows how many variables to consider all at once. So other people helping me out is greatly appreciated.

Going back to what you have said about MK, I will be taking all of your opinions into consideration, Amadeus9 Amadeus9 . And additionally, I do take "fear factor" into consideration, along with numerous other variables/qualities, when considering character potentials. And in this case, how MK can potentially function in the neutral. And how other players can react to him in the neutral.

As for that video, I've seen it numerous times by now. It is definitely good information for sure, and there is no doubt that the player has a ton of skill. However, he does take awhile to get to the point, lol

Speaking of SF4 though, I myself have played T. Hawk back in the day. So I know quite a lot about whiff punishing, reads, and the like. Such as using SPD to counter somebody's missed poke, letting people walk into my long-ranged kicks, and the nightmare that is approaching Akuma when he is using aerial fireballs. Granted, I have a much better understanding of these fundamentals now as opposed to how I did back then, but I am certainly not new to the subject.

Going off on a tangent, and to a personal request of mine: Currently, someone I know has been dealing with an aneurysm. This doesn't really have anything to do with the topic, but just as a personal request, please refrain from using the term so lightly. I don't mean to say this, or anything, to try to bring you down though. Rather, it is just a touchy subject for me atm. Thank you in advance.

Going back to MK though. In general, I agree with the things that you have stated thus far. I personally feel as though that MK's neutral is not as bad as people make it out to be (not really pointing towards any names or trying to insult anybody in this topic mind you). However, the way that you are approaching things is detrimental to good conversation. You raise really good points about the character's qualities and how you should apply them, but the way you do so in a condescending mannerism isn't necessary or helpful to anyone. You have really good information, but in order to get this information across in the most effective and productive manner possible, this is a quality you have to cut back on in regards to your posts. If your goal is to educate people, and make them understand something, you can't just step on them and insult them for not knowing the things that you do. Or not thinking the same way that you do. You have to understand that people learn things differently, and at different speeds. You have to teach them in a calm and collective manner. Everyone here is human, and everyone here has the ability to learn, so you should try to be aware and respect that. I understand that this can be hard in a number of situations, especially when you find something completely disagreeable with the way that you think/feel (even my own posts), but there are always alternative options and solutions to most problems in life. I am not saying that you should respect and be nice to everybody, but I feel as though that you should give others more leeway in regards to you discussing your opinions with them. More time, more of a chance, and etc. I feel as though that, if you did so, more positive outcomes will come to fruition as a result. I haven't looked down upon you or anything you have said so far, myself. And I am not exactly asking for you to do the same in return. But I have taken every single thing you have said seriously, and into consideration. So, all I ask is for you to relax. I want this topic to be fun and insightful for everyone. Or, at least for the people who care about its goals and my words. So even if you simply just cannot agree with what this topic does or what I say, you should still at least view and treat the people here as people. That is all.

Basically in a very short summary: I am more than willing to work with you, and the things that you have said. Your words on MK in particular were very helpful. But if you wish for others to work with you, you have to work with them, too. Since I am also trying to work with everyone here in this topic, as well. And again, although you have said that you wish for the topic to be deleted/that it is useless/etc; I feel as though that there is a deeper yet simple meaning to the overall posts you have provided in that your own words match your own feelings. You feel as though that your character, Meta Knight, is being undervalued in this topic. And furthermore, you feel as though that you have the knowledge and proof to support your claims/thoughts/feelings. And that is perfectly fine. But the way that you use these feelings as a crux to judge others upon isn't right, either. And that is something that you should understand.

Agree/disagree, stay in the topic/leave the topic, or etc. That is all up to you. If you wish to stay, and become more lax in the future, that is perfectly fine. The more the merrier, and I will treat you equally along with everyone else. However, just because you feel differently about something, doesn't mean that it is wrong, nor does it mean that other things and people should bend to your will. There are a lot of "truths" in life that are very much subjective, opinionated, temporary, and so on. Truths that are indeed true to some people, and yet false to others. And while there are concrete truths in life that nobody can really dispute, the difference in opinions here is not one of them. It is a grey area, although I myself do believe in the goals that this topic has. Though you are equally right to disagree with everything here, and deem it as false. But despite this, and despite what you choose, this topic will be here to stay. You, however, don't have to.

Regardless, thank you for everything that you have posted. And I hope that, at the very least, you understand the opposite side of the debate a little bit better. And that you will treat others in a more positive manner in the future.

Last edited:

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Something which may be better for another topic but which has been racking my brain for a long time now is that
Neutral, Advantage, Disadvantage just doesn't seem to work, or at least accurately signify how a game will work out in Super Smash Bros.

This could be highlighted in part, by me seeing someone rate Mac as 4/5/3 and thinking it's not really that far off (well, I don't think above average disadvantage is remotely true).

With that in mind, what seems closely more relevant is this idea of "attrition".
And the fact that throughout every smash game, there's always been notable differences in game play styles based on the current percents of characters.

If Marth and Cloud are both at 100%, and Cloud has limit up, it's completely one sided in Cloud's favour in every feasible way. The "neutral" is non-existent as Marth has to play beyond beyond careful and can easily be called out for any of his committal actions and die, and not get even a slither of comparable reward if Cloud messes this up.
But if Marth is 50% while Cloud is 100% with limit, it's assuredly not as bad.
[Hint: Cloud's attrition is likely 6 stars out of 5]

Neutral / Advantage / Disadvantage does not quantify these qualities.
The only fairly unambiguous 'stat' here is Advantage. Does this character have the ability to kill you? It's the only thing that we implicitly have respect the multiple stages of a match based around percent. There's almost never a time Zero Suit Samus' advantage isn't applicable, raw KO power, stun attacks and if things go on for too long she has down throw up air at the end of it all. However, her ability to deal with attrition is pretty terrible against many many characters (because hint: 25 frame short hop actions or 16 frame grabs only matter if an opponent is committing to a punish).

Disadvantage at low percent would overtly benefit those with fast and large area neutral airs (like Luigi); yet we only tout the difficulty of anticipating and punishing (blame wifi for making it impractical) Sheik and Zero Suit pressing down-b [which aren't as god-win as people make out to be].
Luigi's "disadvantage" almost completely nullifies Falco as a character in that match up yet Sheik/ZSS down-bs are ultimately not breaking his back whatsoever.

Now simply, one can split 'neutral' and include this notion of 'attrition', which still wouldn't accurately represent the transition of game states based on percent perfectly, but better than it does now.
Zero Suit's "neutral" is amazing. Huge, fast, safe, SCARY tools, long range punishes that nearly no one else has.
But her attrition is trash. When it's past the low percent; where an opponent wants to get in and hit you so they can maximise their efficient bread and butter, an opponent is going to stop having to worry about ZSS's amazing neutral as much because at this point of the game their best and smartest option is shielding, forward rolling and hopefully having good grab follow ups. Playing this way isn't an instant "uh oh, ZSS is going to lose", and it's extremely stupid to play like that from 1 second into the match (you're forgoing your early percent abilities to spam defensive options? that doesn't work against smart opponents).

But even with this notion of attrition, it goes both ways.
If any character can force Sheik into an attrition game (i.e. what everyone wants) the likelihood of their punish or KO move being easier to get and to take Sheik's stock is higher than against most characters. But at the same time Sheik's ability to force attrition through needles, dash shielding and dash grabs is almost unparalleled (remember, a sheik throwing needles at you at early percent is likely an idiot).

Hence, we currently do not really have a solid platform to discuss these things while accurately reflecting comparative viability or how actual tournaments matches go.

Last edited:

Amadeus9

Smash Ace
NNID
Amadeuswololo
I don't yield on any of my points, but I'm going to go ahead and drop things for now. Also, I'm working on my own passionate tendencies, and certainly take what you have to say therein to heart ItsRainingGravy ItsRainingGravy . Ask Shaya Shaya , I'm kind of a jerk. Truly though, the reason why I continue to stick around this board is because I love this game, and am very passionate about it, and have invested more of myself than I care to admit into it. I hope it is understandable as to why I get so invested, even if it isn't completely justified.

(It also doesn't help that I'm somewhat of a specialist on this one character... I live, eat and breath MK at all times, all day every day. Honestly, I'm probably a little sick)

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
The way I've been looking at the idea of "advantage" is a combination of both the ability to deal damage and to close out stocks, but the degree to which one should be more important than the other is difficult to determine.

The notion of attrition is a valuable one to consider, but I have to wonder what could possibly be the best way to quantify it. It seems like it would require some kind of dynamic visualization using line graphs that show what options become available for characters in both killing and damage-racking, affected by rage, damage, etc.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
I don't yield on any of my points, but I'm going to go ahead and drop things for now. Also, I'm working on my own passionate tendencies, and certainly take what you have to say therein to heart ItsRainingGravy ItsRainingGravy . Ask Shaya Shaya , I'm kind of a jerk. Truly though, the reason why I continue to stick around this board is because I love this game, and am very passionate about it, and have invested more of myself than I care to admit into it. I hope it is understandable as to why I get so invested, even if it isn't completely justified.

(It also doesn't help that I'm somewhat of a specialist on this one character... I live, eat and breath MK at all times, all day every day. Honestly, I'm probably a little sick)
Yeah, I am extremely passionate about Smash as well, so I definitely understand (I played since 64, and I've played all of the popular mods). I personally don't find anything wrong with your passion for the game/the character at all. So it's fine, lol.

Likewise, I don't yield on my own points, but I still respect your own opinions for sure. Stuff like that just happens in life, I guess.

That being said, Shaya Shaya definitely raised a good point on "attrition", and I agree that Neutral/Advantage/Disadvantage can't convey it properly. It further complicates things, but it is the truth, and it cannot be ignored based on the goals of this topic. So...as of right now, I have no idea on how it should be tackled. But the concept itself is very simple. But looking at it at a deeper level makes it very complex. I'll try to look into it in further detail another time.

For now, I will be taking a break. Not due to what was said in this topic, but because Patch 1.1.5. was just released. So I am going to wait until all of the details about that are known before continuing this topic. Anyone can still post here, though~

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
What constitutes which characters can be hit with combos? Basically, I'm looking for a way we can sort the combination of weight + gravity, and maybe hurtbox size as well. Perhaps an effective compilation list of who is most vulnerable to combos, which in turn could be effective for what combos you can and can't use against who.

Would a compilation list of who's most susceptible to combos be feasible, or does that strictly remain dependent on any of the three above factors, but not a combination of them?

Last edited:
Top Bottom