• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Competitive Discussion] Let's learn together

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
What is the purpose of whistle super armor? Shields and airdodges just seem vastly superior for a multitude of reasons, such as not taking the damage, acting out of it faster, possibly getting a punish, etc.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
What is the purpose of whistle super armor? Shields and airdodges just seem vastly superior for a multitude of reasons, such as not taking the damage, acting out of it faster, possibly getting a punish, etc.
Whistle doesn't have lag like airdodge, you can act faster for a lot of things. A great example, yesterday I was playing a Mario, and he started to charge an upsmash on the ground. Instead of dodging it I whistled through it and got a free fsmash. That wouldn't have been possible with any other response.

StripedNinja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StripedNinja
Super armor causes the character to not flinch, so that's why if Olimar gets hit during whistle during the super armor frames, he does not get pushed back.
That said, it looks like the projectiles induce enough hitstun on Olimar and come fast enough such that the armor frames are "extended" enough to last through the whole attack.

Is anyone testing out red Uthrow to double jump purple Uair? I've been messing around with it on Training mode, and I was able to get it to register as a true combo. I think it might have potential as a somewhat reliable KO confirm. It may be more useful than red Dthrow to purple Uair because:
1) It KOes around 15-20% earlier than the Dthrow combo because Uthrow launches the opponent vertically higher than Dthrow does. As a comparison, with the training dummy set to Mega Man, the Uthrow combo can KO around 105-110% compared to Dthrow, which KOes around 125-145%. Dthrow probably has a wider KO percentage range since pulling off the Uthrow combo is somewhat strict.

2) Uthrow launches the opponent more vertically than Dthrow; I think it launches straight up with no DI. If I'm right, then it's harder for the opponent to DI away from the followup Uair unlike Dthrow, which launches at a more horizontal angle that allows for horizontal vectoring. This means that Olimar doesn't need to move around too much to get the followup, which is good considering his mobility.

That being said, there were a few problems that I found with this that make me feel like it's only somewhat reliable.
1) Just like with the Dthrow combo, it's somewhat dependent on character size, fall speed, and weight. Some characters are easy enough to get the game to register the Uthrow combo as true, while others are impossible. A character like R.O.B. is easier to followup with Uair--KO'ing at ~99-100%--because of his large frame. A fast faller like Fox can KO'ed starting around 82% despite his small frame. A tall person like Lucina can be reliably comboed around 90-95%. Captain Falcon can be KOed around 105-110%

Some characters seem impossible to register the combo as true, like Peach (too floaty), Kirby (too small and floaty), Rosalina/Mewtwo (too floaty despite their tall frames), and Mario (small frame, also Nair), but this could be remedied by making Uthrow stale. Uthrow can still be used in the same way as Dthrow at low percents since you can Fair out of it, so there are multiple chances to stale it. This brings up the next point.

2) Using Uthrow as a combo starter/KO confirm weakens its potential as a KO throw. Make Uthrow stale makes it easier to combo into Uair, but it also may weaken blue Uthrow enough that it'd KO later than it usually does.

3) Doing the combo correctly is a bit strict. You need to double jump at the right time so that Uair will barely hit the opponent. In my testing, I sometimes followup with the Uair a little too late, and it doesn't register as a true combo. This point ties in with point 1 due to how character traits influence combo reliability, but it also ties in with the next point.

4) The purple Pikmin won't always follow up with you as you jump. I'd say this is the most important thing to consider when using this combo because it makes the whole combo a bit unreliable in the first place. Sometimes, after you use Uthrow and jump, the Pikmin will still stay on the ground for a moment before they follow up with you. Thus, when you use Uair, Olimar might be just swinging empty air instead of a purple in his hand. When it occurs is random, but it happens often enough that it hurts the viability of the combo. I don't know how to exactly fix this problem, as it's a problem with how Pikmin are programmed in the game, but it may be because I'm testing on the 3DS version.

EDIT: It seems that doing pivot grabs seems to make the chance of the Pikmin not following you less likely. I've been able to almost constantly get the Pikmin to follow me for the Uair with pivot grabs.

Despite it's potential problems, I think the Uthrow combo is useful enough to start using Uthrow as a combo throw, because it gives Olimar another semi-reliable KO confirm. I haven't really thought about the potential of this because I brushed away the idea of using Uthrow as a combo throw.

Any thoughts/tests is appreciated since this is still mostly theory.
Yeah, I use this a lot. The pikmin Ho-Ha as I like to call it is really only a true combo on some fast fallers, like fox. Most characters can DI out of it, but if they make the mistake of DI-ing in then it works fairly reliably. Sometimes I'll purposefully whiff a few grab follow ups to condition the opponent not to DI away to get this to work.

StripedNinja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StripedNinja
Whistle armor doesn't have the landing lag of an airdodge, so you can use it to land against an attacking opponent and quickly punish. And also while it might have more vulnerability relatively to an airdodge, the total amount of time it takes is less, so lets say you're in a situation where someone throws you and is trying to follow up, but can't get a true combo follow up, they'll put you in a 50-50 situation where you can airdodge immediately to avoid an immediate attack or wait to airdodge/jump to avoid a read. But with the whistle you can whistle to cover an attack and then airdodge if they don't attack, because your opponent will not be ready to cover the whistle. And even if they are then it gives them 3 situations to have to read from versus 2. Also on the ground it's just easier than a perfect shield so it can be used as a mixup, although ideally you would go for a perfect shield if you can, but it just gives you more options.

Last edited:

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
Most characters can DI out of it, but if they make the mistake of DI-ing in then it works fairly reliably.
Shouldn't the vertical angle of Uthrow make it harder for the opponent to DI away from Uair than Dthrow? It's kind of the reason why I was considering using it, but what you said makes me less confident about how useful it is.

Slashster

Smash Rookie
I've got a burning question I haven't seen asked yet, sorry if it has already.
Do all pikmin deal the same amount of shield damage when latched (or thrown for purples) or do they all deal different amounts of shield damage? Such as whites dealing the most or something?
Edit: Winded up testing it myself, didn't notice a difference. There goes my plan for some shield break shenanigans. Any tips for the olimar against DHD match up? Ran into a few of em on FG today and it's been a pain for me, I can't seem to get my pikmin on them and when I get close, I get punished. I'm puzzled as to how I would go around dealing with overly campy DHD players.

Last edited:

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Guys, if you didn't know: Fair'ing Luma (more specific a short hop fair) makes Luma turn around and disable his/her attacks or moves for a short time.
Also I'm somehow sure this makes Rosalina into "hitlag" or something like that too, but it will depend on some factors I can't recognize yet.

I suppose it is related to the projectile issue or something like that.

Someone know more about this or may explain it? Perhaps it's just my imagination? Something related to the patch?

In the video thread I posted two sets of videos against Rosalina and noticed the explained above.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Ended up getting 5th at Smash the Record, I actually lost to 8bitman twice in bracket. ROB is one of those MUs that gives me so much trouble, actually it's really only 8bitman's. I started using his gyro more to add extra shield pressure and allow safer plays. As well as throwing Pikmin onto gyro so when he picked them up it would disrupt him. Overall I think I played pretty solid during the tournament. Just wish I would have ran into someone besides him in losers. :/

AncientBaby

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AncientBaby
3DS FC
4854-6493-8093
Ended up getting 5th at Smash the Record, I actually lost to 8bitman twice in bracket. ROB is one of those MUs that gives me so much trouble, actually it's really only 8bitman's. I started using his gyro more to add extra shield pressure and allow safer plays. As well as throwing Pikmin onto gyro so when he picked them up it would disrupt him. Overall I think I played pretty solid during the tournament. Just wish I would have ran into someone besides him in losers. :/
I only got to see your last two sets on stream (against the Peach player that I can't remember the name of and 8bitman) and I think seeing that really helped me with some ideas for those matchups. It's a shame you didn't place even higher, but I think I speak for everyone here when I say that you made the Olimar boards proud.

A̶l̶s̶o̶,̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶s̶o̶r̶r̶y̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶I̶ ̶p̶s̶y̶c̶h̶e̶d̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶b̶y̶ ̶t̶e̶l̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶w̶i̶t̶c̶h̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶s̶a̶y̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶w̶i̶t̶t̶e̶r̶.̶ ̶H̶o̶p̶e̶f̶u̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶d̶i̶d̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶a̶f̶f̶e̶c̶t̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶g̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶n̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶a̶m̶e̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶8̶b̶i̶t̶m̶a̶n̶.̶

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
I only got to see your last two sets on stream (against the Peach player that I can't remember the name of and 8bitman) and I think seeing that really helped me with some ideas for those matchups. It's a shame you didn't place even higher, but I think I speak for everyone here when I say that you made the Olimar boards proud.

A̶l̶s̶o̶,̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶s̶o̶r̶r̶y̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶I̶ ̶p̶s̶y̶c̶h̶e̶d̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶b̶y̶ ̶t̶e̶l̶l̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶w̶i̶t̶c̶h̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶s̶ ̶s̶a̶y̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶w̶i̶t̶t̶e̶r̶.̶ ̶H̶o̶p̶e̶f̶u̶l̶l̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶d̶i̶d̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶a̶f̶f̶e̶c̶t̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶g̶o̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶i̶n̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶a̶m̶e̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶8̶b̶i̶t̶m̶a̶n̶.̶
Everyone whom stands for us (Olimar / Alph), make us proud, across the world :3.

The Green Lanyard

Smash Rookie
I was rooting for you, great job.

Planty

Smash Ace
NNID
something
What was the twitch chat like? Hating?

AncientBaby

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AncientBaby
3DS FC
4854-6493-8093
What was the twitch chat like? Hating?
Twitch chat was being Twitch chat and complaining. Olimar generally gets a bad rep for being "campy", so they decided to complain about Myran. But he was constantly moving and throwing out attacks, so I thought it was actually really exciting to watch. They were good sets.

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Yeah I don't know what they thought I was doing. I wasn't gonna blindly run into Peach's attacks. I guess that's why they weren't in top 8 though.

Blue Banana

Smash Journeyman
NNID
2ndDerivative
3DS FC
4038-6328-0283
Hey, I recently won a small local tourney out of 19 people. It was very fun though fairly exhausting; playing for roughly 5 1/2 hours made me call it after grand finals.

This is my journey through brackets:

Winners Round 1 - vs. :4feroy: (2-0) Had a lot of experience in this matchup from playing with one of my colleagues in my university club, who was a Roy main, so it wasn't too hard.

Winners Round 2 - vs. :4luigi: (2-0) Played against this particular Luigi player a few times before in previous tourneys, losing every set. The 1.1.2 nerfs made the matchup a bit easier, though I still played cautiously because Weeg can still combo me for days.

Winners Semis - vs. :4ness: (2-0) Not too much to say about this set. I didn't have much Ness experience, but I had enough to tell what my opponent is going to do.

Winners Finals - vs. :4diddy: (3-1) My opponent is much more experienced than my previous opponent; he used a lot of running pivot grabs and Uthrow -> Dair resets to make the first two games vexing on top of banana play. I clutched out the first game, then I learned how to work around the bananas to make dealing with Diddy easier, culminating in a decisive win in the fourth game.

Grand Finals - vs. :4yoshi: (1-3 -> 3-2) The Yoshi player is one of the members of the university club, so we both had knowledge on how the matchup plays out and what each player is trying to do. I personally feel that it's in favor of Yoshi; my opponent cleanly destroyed me in set 1. It went down to game 5 of set 2, in a last hit situation where I caught Yoshi at ~110% in a blue Uthrow with me around 130-140% on Town & City.

Overall, it was fun, I feel good, and I got a :4greninja: amiibo as a prize. VODs for winners' semis, winners finals, and grand finals were recorded I think, so I'll post them in the video thread once they're uploaded to YouTube.

Last edited:

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Hey, I recently won a small local tourney out of 19 people. It was very fun though fairly exhausting; playing for roughly 5 1/2 hours made me call it after grand finals.

Grand Finals - vs. :4yoshi: (1-3 -> 3-2) The Yoshi player is one of the members of the university club, so we both had knowledge on how the matchup plays out and what each player is trying to do. I personally feel that it's in favor of Yoshi; my opponent cleanly destroyed me in set 1. It went down to game 5 of set 2, in a last hit situation where I caught Yoshi at ~110% in a blue Uthrow with me around 130-140% on Town & City.

Overall, it was fun, I feel good, and I got a :4greninja: amiibo as a prize. VODs for winners' semis, winners finals, and grand finals were recorded I think, so I'll post them in the video thread once they're uploaded to YouTube.
Awesome buddy, congratulations!

Everyone keep spreading the "word" of Olimar/Alph :D.

I'm hopeful Olimar will receive some love at some nearly patch if we keep putting him at the top 8 :p.

AncientBaby

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AncientBaby
3DS FC
4854-6493-8093
how on earth do I fight lucas
What exactly are you having trouble with? Is there something Lucas does that you don't know how to deal with? Or can you not know how to get damage/kills off him safely? I can't think of anything Lucas does that prevents you from doing regular Olimar stuff.

If you can't think of a specific answer to one of those questions, maybe you could put a video of you fighting Lucas in the video thread. I'd be happy to watch and give any advice I can, and I'm sure others would too, but I need to know where to start.

alexthepony

Smash Apprentice
What exactly are you having trouble with? Is there something Lucas does that you don't know how to deal with? Or can you not know how to get damage/kills off him safely? I can't think of anything Lucas does that prevents you from doing regular Olimar stuff.

If you can't think of a specific answer to one of those questions, maybe you could put a video of you fighting Lucas in the video thread. I'd be happy to watch and give any advice I can, and I'm sure others would too, but I need to know where to start.
How do I control stage control advantage and keep it as long as possible

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Sounds more like an Olimar question than a Lucas one. Try to space back with pivot grabs and smashes, intercept PK Fire with Pikmin and try to shield them if he's approaching with them. Short hop purples are a good way to snub is approach.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
If I may piss and moan a bit, Sheik feels like such a horrible frigging character to fight. I just freaking hate the character.

I also have a bit of a problem with ROB, but that feels like more of a personal thing.
About tossing pikmin on the gyro, one thing our big ROB main around here does is tossing the gyro at me immediately after picking it up again to avoid getting hit by the latch.

StripedNinja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StripedNinja
If I may piss and moan a bit, Sheik feels like such a horrible frigging character to fight. I just freaking hate the character.

I also have a bit of a problem with ROB, but that feels like more of a personal thing.
About tossing pikmin on the gyro, one thing our big ROB main around here does is tossing the gyro at me immediately after picking it up again to avoid getting hit by the latch.
A solution to that would be learn to catch items.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad

This is my journey through brackets:

Winners Round 1 - vs. :4feroy: (2-0) Had a lot of experience in this matchup from playing with one of my colleagues in my university club, who was a Roy main, so it wasn't too hard.

Winners Round 2 - vs. :4luigi: (2-0) Played against this particular Luigi player a few times before in previous tourneys, losing every set. The 1.1.2 nerfs made the matchup a bit easier, though I still played cautiously because Weeg can still combo me for days.

Winners Semis - vs. :4ness: (2-0) Not too much to say about this set. I didn't have much Ness experience, but I had enough to tell what my opponent is going to do.

Winners Finals - vs. :4diddy: (3-1) My opponent is much more experienced than my previous opponent; he used a lot of running pivot grabs and Uthrow -> Dair resets to make the first two games vexing on top of banana play. I clutched out the first game, then I learned how to work around the bananas to make dealing with Diddy easier, culminating in a decisive win in the fourth game.

you beat elegant?

Flawlessh

Smash Cadet
So I was testing mix-up landing options since thats one of olimars biggest downfalls.

While i was practicing B-reverse whistle, i noticed olimar's neutral B auto cancels on every possible frame of the move.
So what im asking here is, does his neutral B really auto cancel on every frame? (Since kuroganehammer doesnt have landing lag or autocancel frame data of special moves) And if this is the case, you guys better start practicing it, because it is damn right amazing.

AncientBaby

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AncientBaby
3DS FC
4854-6493-8093
So I was testing mix-up landing options since thats one of olimars biggest downfalls.

While i was practicing B-reverse whistle, i noticed olimar's neutral B auto cancels on every possible frame of the move.
So what im asking here is, does his neutral B really auto cancel on every frame? (Since kuroganehammer doesnt have landing lag or autocancel frame data of special moves) And if this is the case, you guys better start practicing it, because it is damn right amazing.
I'm assuming B-reverse pluck, because you can't reverse the whistle in this game. But yeah, aerial pluck autocancels anywhere in the move when it lands, so you get normal landing lag and can act pretty quickly as soon as you touch ground, which is definitely helpful so they can't immediately pop you up into the air again.

Flawlessh

Smash Cadet
I'm assuming B-reverse pluck, because you can't reverse the whistle in this game.
Well that explains why i couldnt reverse the whistle, and then i started doing b-reverse pluck just to practice the reverse itself but then noticed this autocancel.

Thanks for telling me it cancels any time during the move, makes it alot easier for removing the tumble animation to punish people trying to punish / read our tech.

Flawlessh

Smash Cadet
So was training with a friend of mine

He knows to DI away from us during our downthrow to avoid upair combo's
But one time i decided to do backthrow at low percents and it linked into a fair since it made him DI in.
This was on a lucas at 29% with purple throw, yellow fair. it seemed like a true combo and can be a good mixup to get a tiny more percent.

Tried to redo this in training mode but ****s hard controlling another controller with your feet.

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
So was training with a friend of mine

He knows to DI away from us during our downthrow to avoid upair combo's
But one time i decided to do backthrow at low percents and it linked into a fair since it made him DI in.
This was on a lucas at 29% with purple throw, yellow fair. it seemed like a true combo and can be a good mixup to get a tiny more percent.

Tried to redo this in training mode but ****s hard controlling another controller with your feet.
dthrow fair would combo anyway what's the point

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Hey Ollimar players! Mekos here! I was the number 1 lucas player in brawl and now am coming back to smash 4!

What do you guys think about the olimar/lucas matchup. Here are my thoughts! Agree or disagree?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2oPY3Klypc
Don't get me wrong but it was a super light analysis and superficial in my opinion, like a lack of content or more depth thoughts.

I don't see an advantage for one but Lucas can do plenty damage with Fsmash. Nevertheless Luca's recovery is very exploitable.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Yes, sir. I do believe is an even matchup at high level.
What leans the balance to one of them it would be just mindgames and the ability to read your opponent.

Now, I have no knowledge at frame data of both (seriously... I never can remember such things), but even without knowing that I would risk to say it's even.

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
So as you all know by now, an Olimar actually took second place at a big Japanese tourney, Umebara 22. Shuton was the player, and I wanted to share some observations after checking out some of his matches (a few of which you can find on Shi-G's Youtube).

- Very efficient with up-B mix-ups and hovering, practically using up-b as a third jump. This was the major aspect of his play that really stood out to me.

- From the ledge, he will jump, approach with fair, fade back to make you think he's going to regrab the ledge, then quickly up-B back to stage and fastfall nair.

- Often throws a yellow offstage for the red, blue, white line-up. Goes for the white poison damage ASAP.

- Likes to approach with a full hop and a tossed purple and then immediately fair. Putting out these two hitboxes nearly-simultaneously often lands a hit, but he did get punished for the laggy fair several times.

- Loves the RAR bair. Overall, I know he takes to aerial combat much more often than I feel comfortable with, but he's effective with it.

Other than that, standard Olimar stuff, but those were his habits that I thought were worth sharing and discussing.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Could you share with us some links?

-According to my knowledge, we all do the same with the yellow. Throw it away looking for a white.

- I know Myran Myran does throw a pikmin and then does a Fair, it's quite good how he practically always lands a hit with that.

I have been using the up b with some mixups and I'm very interested how he does, so I can have new ideas :D.

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
So by now, many of you have seen the Beefy Smash Doods video about a new untechable situation.

Basically, when the opponent is over 100%, they can enter a special animation where their character spins while falling in hitstun. This animation has about a 25% chance of occurring, and if the opponent hits the ground during this falling animation, they cannot tech.

I am almost positive that Olimar's double jab can send the opponent into this animation, and it makes for a very easy follow-up with a running up smash. Sometimes it can be hard securing the KO with Olimar, so maybe this will give you more confidence.

If you have a red or purple next in your lineup, a simple double jab has a 1 in 4 chance of giving you a confirmed KO when your opponent is 100% or above.

Could you share with us some links?

-According to my knowledge, we all do the same with the yellow. Throw it away looking for a white.

- I know Myran Myran does throw a pikmin and then does a Fair, it's quite good how he practically always lands a hit with that.

I have been using the up b with some mixups and I'm very interested how he does, so I can have new ideas :D.
So sorry I didn't see this before!

Here are some Shuton matches. Unfortunately, he can't make it to EVO.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
So by now, many of you have seen the Beefy Smash Doods video about a new untechable situation.

Basically, when the opponent is over 100%, they can enter a special animation where their character spins while falling in hitstun. This animation has about a 25% chance of occurring, and if the opponent hits the ground during this falling animation, they cannot tech.

I am almost positive that Olimar's double jab can send the opponent into this animation, and it makes for a very easy follow-up with a running up smash. Sometimes it can be hard securing the KO with Olimar, so maybe this will give you more confidence.

If you have a red or purple next in your lineup, a simple double jab has a 1 in 4 chance of giving you a confirmed KO when your opponent is 100% or above.
This seems to be a good and great option, but at first glance I would deny it because of the slow speed run Olimar has and the travel distance the character would go, which are unknown to me.

When I saw the video I recall the time where I was looking for a true confirm kill option with Dthrow to Uair, can someone remember?
My research concluded with the fact that the spinning animation was a random thing and the combo couldn't being consistently repeated.

In that time the conditions were: red dthrow and purple uair. Those conditions stay as well but now is a fact the animation is random.

Could you or anyone do some lab in order to test this issue? It would be awesome to find something like this :D.

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
This seems to be a good and great option, but at first glance I would deny it because of the slow speed run Olimar has and the travel distance the character would go, which are unknown to me.

When I saw the video I recall the time where I was looking for a true confirm kill option with Dthrow to Uair, can someone remember?
My research concluded with the fact that the spinning animation was a random thing and the combo couldn't being consistently repeated.

In that time the conditions were: red dthrow and purple uair. Those conditions stay as well but now is a fact the animation is random.

Could you or anyone do some lab in order to test this issue? It would be awesome to find something like this :D.
I tested the double jab. The double jab *does* put them into the spin animation, but they can jump out of it. If they try to tech and fail, then you have time to run up and up smash. If they jump out of it, then you'll lose the chance.

So it's not guaranteed, even at the 25% chance of getting the spin animation. BUT if they try to tech instead of jump, then you can get the confirm.

Top Bottom