• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Competitive 'Dex Discussion: Alterations, corrections, etc.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
What old sets? When Gen 5 is out we'll write for Gen 5. Personally I can't see any reason to keep sets from multiple generations unless we get a site or forum dedicated to holding this stuff.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
What I mean by old sets is that I'm sure T-tar will be running a choice band set in gen 5 so you might as well write it now and save yourself the time so you don't have to do it later.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
TTar might get some new toys in Gen V, or a new threat it needs to deal with that could drastically change the moves or viability of the set altogether, you have to wait until the new Gen is actually out before you make a set. You think someone could've made a CBTar set for Gen IV in Gen III? Hell no, the Physical/Special split completely changed the look of the set.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
why don't we just do our OU+ pokes

it makes the most sense as we can just go to smogon for the unchanged pokes, we're basically using their sets with little variations here and there

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
why don't we just do our OU+ pokes

it makes the most sense as we can just go to smogon for the unchanged pokes, we're basically using their sets with little variations here and there
This a million times this

You guys ain't listenin.

You get a noob like me who wants to stop getting ***** by them OU+ pokes and then they don't know wtf they're supposed to do with these things. Am I supposed to use Amphy as a Lead or a Sweeper? Like hell I know unless you guys can inform me by making sets with them

:mad:

mood4food77

Smash Hero
well, we mostly are still experimenting with the new pokes but we have a couple sets that we definitely know of

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
well, we mostly are still experimenting with the new pokes but we have a couple sets that we definitely know of
The only thing I know is that Sharpedo is the Anti-Lead aka the bane of my existence and Lillibelle is a bulky mother****er... that's pretty much it ...

mood4food77

Smash Hero
sharpedo can work as an anti lead but it's more of a sweeper with priority abuse
there's also a mixed set that works very well apparently, it's tery's set so i dunno much about it (at least i think it's tery's)

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i'm assuming

Sharpedo @ Life Orb
Lonely or Naughty / Technician
252 Atk/196 SpA/64 Spe
Fake Out
Aqua Jet
Ice Shard
HP Electric (60)

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i knew it was the EVs i messed up on

max attack is obvious
194 EVs in SpA guarantee a OHKO on any gyarados set, who would otherwise wall the physical sets
rest of the EVs dumped into Speed

obviously, netting the OHKO on gyarados is the most important part so it can become a great late game sweeper also

Chill

Red
BRoomer
TTar might get some new toys in Gen V, or a new threat it needs to deal with that could drastically change the moves or viability of the set altogether, you have to wait until the new Gen is actually out before you make a set. You think someone could've made a CBTar set for Gen IV in Gen III? Hell no, the Physical/Special split completely changed the look of the set.
I don't doubt that T-tar may get some new moves but they're not altering the battle system like they did last gen. Triple battles and rotation battles are the "new" thing this time around. So unless he get's a move called "super crunch" or a more powerful/accurate rock move the set will most likely look the same. And in the case of new moves it would be a simple task to edit those moves in.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Kingdra gained access to Outrage and Draco Meteor from R/S to D/P, completely altering the sets it tends to run. Stealth Rock changed many, many things, including altering the viability of a large number of Pokémon and setting standards for sets of those that could use the move. Even if we were to write sets now, they would be little more than rehashes of the successful sets found on Smogon.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Watch TTar get some ridiculous new buff that bans it to Ubers just to spite Chill.

JUST.

WATCH.

Also, that Mixed Anti-lead Pedo is still wrong, you have the right idea, you're just targeting the wrong Pokemon you want to snipe.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
HP Grass > Electric

Your evs and nature are also off because of that, but feel free to figure that out yourself. Oh, and M4F, remember HP can be something other than 70? Technician.

Doesn't mean I use HP Grass 60, though.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i said HP electric as 60 so it becomes base 90

so now i just got to find the SpA to OHKO swampert or starmie (probably swampert)

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Tangrowth @ Life Orb
Chlorophyll / Rash
252 Atk / 252 Speed / 4 SpAtk
Growth
Power Whip
Earthquake
HP Fire

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
i said HP electric as 60 so it becomes base 90

so now i just got to find the SpA to OHKO swampert or starmie (probably swampert)
HP Electric at 60 is terrrrrible.

Run 59, it's a good 5 or 6 stat points better.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Same with HP Grass 59.

You have to drop like every stat that matters for 60, you don't need to drop anything of real importance for 59.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I'm just posting again to remind everyone of this. You all seemed very adamant about getting this started early on and smogon(I only mention them because you guys seem to care so much) has already got the ball rolling.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I wanted to start, but I'm not sure about items, Egg Moves, and Tutor moves.

Like, can Mewtwo still get Self-destruct?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Yeah, let's sorta wait until we have full movepools, people are just slapping together ideas with items and moves that they don't even know how they work on Smogon right now.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
It's fun to do that and pretend we know what we're doing though.

Oh wait.

Aren't we supposed to ACTUALLY know what we're doing?

-_-

movepools at the very least are a big issue, we can't really discuss things effectively with how early in the proceedings we are beyond what's obvious.

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Has there been any sort of confirmation of the Dream World being factored into the regular metagame yet?

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
Has there been any sort of confirmation of the Dream World being factored into the regular metagame yet?
I don't know whether it will happen, but my honest guess is that there will be two separate metagames! There will be a Dream World meta and a standard Gen V meta.

That's just a guess though, it really depends on what Smogon evaluates. No confirmation on anything yet. xP

Marc

Relic of the Past
BRoomer
Smogon also bans Pokémon for no good reason, so I wouldn't put it beyond them.

I think we'd have to come up with both regular and Dream World sets, but I'm not sure if I want to venture into theorycraft this early.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
No, Smogon has reasons. They're just really flimsy and stupid.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Well, we know how MOST abilities and moves work, as well as SOME items.

I think it's a safe bet to begin Theorymonning now.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
Why would they be separated? Dream World Pokémon are just regular Pokémon with different abilities. They're obtainable in-game and presumably legal over wi-fi.

SilentVerse

Smash Journeyman
Noting here that I have half written a Jaroda analysis and will probably finish it tomorrow. Should I just post it here or...?

SilentVerse

Smash Journeyman
Sorry for the double post, but here's Jaroda. Since movepools and such are available now, and we even have a server to test stuff on, I think it's pretty safe to start posting analysis's. For referenece, I used a combination of Smogon's analysis style and Wave's. I'm not sure why I added <> after and before paragraphs, but Wave put them there in his layout, so, uh, yeah. This is also a very rough draft, but this should be good for now.

<Jaroda>

Typing: <Grass>
Ability: <Overgrow> / <Perversity (Dream World) >
Base Stats: < 75, 75, 95, 75, 95, 113>

*Disclaimer: These sets have been tested to an extent on the Poke Center's server, Machamp's Pants. However, they have not been testing extensively and as such, they may not be the best sets possible.

<Overview>

<Though Jaroda might not seem too threatening at a simple glance, one should know that Jaroda is actually quite a threatening Pokemon. The combination of its ability, Perversity, and Leaf Storm create a lethal duo that can heavily damage many Pokemon in the metagame. With Leech Seed, Jaroda can weaken potential counters, as they won't enjoy coming into Leech Seed and entry hazards multiple times. Jaroda also has decent defenses, which allow Jaroda to take some attacks before firing off a Leaf Storm. However, Jaroda’s shallow movepool leaves it with poor two move coverage, consisting of a Grass move and a Hidden Power type in its repertoire. Jaroda’s low Base Special Attack can also make it difficult to KO a Pokemon with the first Leaf Storm. All in all, Jaroda is a threatening Pokemon that, despite its flaws, can easily sweep the opposition with proper support.>

Offensive SubSeeder
<Jaroda> @ <Leftovers>
<Perversity> / <Timid>
EVs: <4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe>
~<Leaf Storm>
~<Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ground>
~<Substitute>
~<Leech Seed>

<Set Summary>

<With a combination of Perversity and Leaf Storm, Jaroda can boost its Special Attack two stages every time it uses Leaf Storm. With this deadly combination, Jaroda can pose a significant threat to the opposing team. This set doesn’t really rely on the SubSeeding strategy that much; rather, it uses it to break down potential counters to this set.>

<Leaf Storm, as mentioned, acts as a strong attack, and a way to boost Jaroda’s poor Special Attack. Hidden Power hits Pokemon that Leaf Storm cannot, and after a boost, can generally KO or at least heavily damage many of these Pokemon. Substitute and Leech Seed round out the set by easing prediction for Jaroda as well as wearing down Pokemon that your Hidden Power cannot hit Super Effectively. >

[collapse="Additional Information"]<A Timid Nature and 232 Spe allow it to outspeed all +Speed Base 110s. Max Speed can be used to outspeed Torunerosu, Borutorosu, and Pendoraa. However, these Pokemon cannot be hit hard anyways with Leaf Storm, and can only be hit SE with a respective Hidden Power. It should be noted that if you outspeed them however, you can potentially stall them out with Leech Seed and Substitute, or if you use Hidden Power Ice, it is recommended to run Max Speed. 252 EVs in SpA are needed to make Leaf Storm as strong as possible, while the remaining EVs are dumped into HP to strengthen Jaroda’s longevity.>

<The choice between Hidden Powers is a tough one. Hidden Power Fire allows Jaroda to beat Steels, but it causes him to be completely helpless against Dragons aside from SubSeeding. Hidden Power Ice, on the other hand, does the opposite. Hidden Power Ground has good coverage with Grass, but leaves Jaroda unfortunately weak to Grass type Pokemon and Flying types. In the end, the choices between Hidden Power types is mainly up to the user, and what the user feels they have less or more issues with.>

<Protect can be used instead of Substitute for a guaranteed healing and extra damage from Leech Seed. However, Protect will not allow you to stall out things like Urugamosu, which means you'll definitely need to pack a solid counter for it.>

<Jaroda benefits greatly from entry hazards such as Stealth Rock, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes as they can help wear down Jaroda’s potential counters. Unfortunately, Jaroda cannot hit Fire types unless he uses Hidden Power Ground, so pairing Jaroda with a bulky water can help alleviate this weakness. Also, Jaroda can be major set up bait for Shanderaa, so one must be careful lest their Jaroda becomes trapped and KOed by any variant of Shanderaa.>[/collapse]

StallBreaker
<Jaroda> @ <Life Orb>
<Perversity> / <Timid>
EVs: <4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe>
~<Leaf Storm>
~<Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ground / Hidden Power Ice>
~<Taunt>
~<Leech Seed>

<Set Summary>

<This set takes more of an offensive approach than the last set, and can be used to damage stall. A combination of Taunt and Leech Seed can break apart walls such as Blissey, while Taunt also prevents Jaroda from being PHazed. Leaf Storm is an extremely powerful attack when paired with a Life Orb, and like the last set, can boost your Special Attack two stages. Hidden Power provides coverage once again, and hits many Pokemon hard after a Leaf Storm.>

[collapse="Additional Information"]<The EVs are the same as the last set, as they serve the same purpose. Timid and 232 EVs outspeed +Speed Base 110s, which should be on of the highest speeds you will encounter on stall that Jaroda can outspeed.>

<Hidden Power Fire is the premier option on this set, as it allows Jaroda to break through Steels, which are much more common than Dragons on Stall. Hidden Power Ground is the next best option, as it hits many of those Steel types while providing arguably better all around coverage. Hidden Power Ice is the last option on this set as Dragons are less common on stall, so it loses much of its worth on this set.>

<Entry hazards are exceedingly helpful. With Taunt and Leech Seed likely forcing the opponent to switch, entry hazards can quickly wrack up damage on the opposing stall Pokemon. Pokemon that can finish cleaning up the remains of a Stall team once Jaroda has damaged it are very helpful as they can quickly stop the opponent from attempting to restore their team. Pokemon like Speed Boost Blaziken and Infernape are useful for this job, as they’re fast and strong enough to easily clean up after Jaroda.>[/collapse]

Dual Screens
<Jaroda> @ <Light Clay>
<Perversity> / <Timid>
EVs: <132 Def / 128 SpD / 252 Spe>
~<Light Screen>
~<Reflect>
~<Mean Look / Taunt >
~<Leech Seed>

<Set Summary>

<Jaroda can utilize Dual Screens effectively due to its good defenses and high speed. With access to Taunt, Mean Look, and Leech Seed as well, Jaroda can make it quite easy to get the Pokemon you want to set up onto the field as well.>

<Reflect and Light Screen are of course, necessary on a Dual Screen set. Light Clay prolongs the effects of these screens for 3 extra turns, which is very helpful if you plan to set up something with Calm Mind or such. Taunt stops opposing Pokemon from rendering this Jaroda useless, while Leech Seed helps ease the transition to the Pokemon you want to set up. Mean Look can be useful over Taunt as you can trap Pokemon that can’t harm the Pokemon you’re setting up, which makes it much easier for said Pokemon to set up and sweep.>

[collapse="Additional Information"]<Timid and 232 EVs are used to outspeed +Speed Base 110s and set up a Screen in their face. The rest of the EVs are used to give Jaroda balanced defenses on both sides, while making Leech Seed more efficient.>

<Like most Dual Screen sets, you will need strong Pokemon that can set up easily with your Dual Screens. Substitute + Calm Mind Shanderaa is a good candidate because if you used Mean Look on Jaroda, you can keep the Pokemon trapped and proceed to set up on it with ease. Lucario is another good Pokemon that can set up. With Swords Dance, it can set up quickly, and can potentially sweep with your Dual Screens still intact.> [/collapse]

<Teammates>

<Entry hazards are very helpful with Jaroda. Since Jaroda’s Base Special Attack isn’t that great, entry hazards can wear down some Pokemon so they can get KOed by the first or second Leaf Storm. Skarmory is a decent partner to Jaroda as it can set up both Spikes and Stealth Rock if necessary and resists Jaroda’s weaknesses to Bug, and Poison.>

<Shanderaa can be used in conjunction with Jaroda to form a strong offensive core. Shanderaa can trap and KO Steels with ease, while Jaroda can deal with Water and Ground types that hinder Shanderaa. Both are frail to a degree though, so you may want to back this core up with a Bulky Water to form a Grass - Water - Fire core. Magnezone and Dugtrio are also good options to trap opposing Steel types, though they don't have as much synergy with Jaroda as Shanderaa.>

<Potential Possibilities>

<A Swords Dance set could work on Jaroda. However, Jaroda’s Physical movepool is rather poor, consisting of only Leaf Blade, Return, Aerial Ace, Iron Tail, and Pursuit. Though this is more than Jaroda’s Special sets, these attacks lack good coverage with each other. Unlike the Special sets, Jaroda also has to dedicate a moveslot to Swords Dance, so you can’t use Substitute and Leech Seed alongside it, as you will be walled by any Grass Pokemon. Coil can also be used instead of Swords Dance, but a faster boosting move is superior on Jaroda.>

<Calm Mind can be a decent attack on Jaroda, but most of the time, Jaroda prefers to set up offensively using Leaf Storm. If used in conjunction with Perversity, Calm Mind will lower Jaroda’s Special Attack and Special Defence one stage, so it can’t be used with Perversity and Leaf Storm either. A set of Calm Mind, Grass Knot or Energy Ball, Hidden Power Fire, Ice, or Ground, and Substitute or Leech Seed in the last slot can work decently however.>

<Jaroda has a couple of other attacks that are cool, but generally are inferior to his few other options. Dragon Tail can be used to PHaze the opponent, but it has negative priority and wastes Jaroda’s excellent Speed. Glare is a decent option to spread paralysis, but has trouble finding room on any of the other sets.>

<Checks and Counters>

<The Offensive SubSeed set is surprising hard to counter, as any potential counter has to be able to outspeed and KO it; otherwise, they will be stalled out by Leech Seed and Substitute. Even if they do outspeed, they might still be KOed by a Hidden Power, if said type affects it. As such, counters to the Offensive SubSeed sets and the *StallBreaker set rely on what Hidden Power it uses.>

<Hidden Power Fire>

<If offensive variants of Jaroda use Hidden Power Fire, Dragons are generally a good counter to it. Salamence resists both Hidden Power and Leaf Storm in this case, and can KO Jaroda with Outrage. However, Salamence must be Scarfed in order to outspeed Jaroda.

<Hidden Power Ice>

<Steels are a good counter to Jaroda if it uses Hidden Power Ice. Heatran is a good choice as it’s quite respectable Scarfed and can easily come in on Jaroda’s attacks and KO with Fire Blast.>

<Hidden Power Ground>

<Grass types and Flying types are easily the best counter. With Hidden Power Ground, Jaroda can't touch Grass types at all, making them the best counter. Flying types aren't hurt by Jaroda's Hidden Power or Leaf Storm, but they still have to fear being SubSeeded to death if they don't outspeed it.>

*Please note that since the Stallbreaker doesn't use Substitute, it is much easier to counter. However, it can pack any of the three given Hidden Power types as well, so one must be wary of that like the Offensive SubSeed set

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I'd like to mention that any set that relies on speed (which appears to be all of them) need to run 240 Spe actually, in order to outpace some new Base 111s that have shown up on the metagame, I can only remember that the two genies having it, but being able to beat either of these when you have, say, a +4 Boosted Leaf Storm at-hand, might be the difference between a loss or a sweep.

I'd also like to Mention Protect is a viable option over Substitute on the Offensive Seeder.

SilentVerse

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to mention that any set that relies on speed (which appears to be all of them) need to run 240 Spe actually, in order to outpace some new Base 111s that have shown up on the metagame, I can only remember that the two genies having it, but being able to beat either of these when you have, say, a +4 Boosted Leaf Storm at-hand, might be the difference between a loss or a sweep.
Ok, I'll probably change the EV spread to 16 HP / 252 SpA / 240 Spe. However, should I simply put max speed then, though while this is also conditional, you can outspeed Pendora? 16 HP EVs won't make much of a difference anyways, so it'd probably be better to simply max speed.

I'd also like to Mention Protect is a viable option over Substitute on the Offensive Seeder.
Protect seems like a solid option, but does it deserve a slash next to Substitute? I've been able to stall out stuff like Urugamosu with Leech Seed and Sub, which I wouldn't be able to do with Protect. I'll add it in AC for now, but if I get more input on Protect, I'll probably slash it.

Top Bottom