• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
It does took like the Aegis very explotable recoveries and vulnerability offstage are now becoming a big flaw for them now, and it does keep them from being #1 or possible top 3 in the game.

Maybe that is why the best Swordie users in the game MKLeo and Sparg0 seem to only sub them for specific Matchups that thier mains struggle with

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
It does took like the Aegis very explotable recoveries and vulnerability offstage are now becoming a big flaw for them now, and it does keep them from being #1 or possible top 3 in the game.
I've been thinking this for a while now. MkLeo and Sparg0 (mostly) dropped them for some reason, Cosmos is very inconsistent, and Shuton is not a solo main. They're probably still top 5 or at least close to it, but probably not contender for #1.

Aligo

Smash Ace
Yeah, thats why I wish photon edge was literally any other burst movement option. It is laughably bad. Yet, gross nonsense like minecart exists.

At least the orionrank is good at the moment.

Last edited:

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
With the exception of acola vs Riddles, every single :ultsteve: set here in top 8 went to game 5, last hit in nearly every instance.
Onin vs Zomba? Game 5 last hit. Onin vs MuteAce? Game 5, would be last hit if it weren't for the SD. acola vs Tweek? Game 5 last hit. acola vs Zomba? Game 5 last hit. acola vs MuteAce? Game 5 close to last hit.

We may have ended up with a Steve mirror in finals, but acola's and Onin's ability to stay cool and clutch out the set to the very end has allowed both to survive up until grands.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Onin really needs to work on the ditto cause ouch.
At the very least, his secondaries actually looks pretty good, with Robin even taking the first stock, despite the fact that he pretty much pulled those secondaries out of thin air with no practice.

But yeah, once again, a projected long grand finals set between two Steves ended in 15 minutes tops.

At the very least, both acola and Onin, and honestly everyone in top 8, played very well (except when Riddles played vs acola; Riddles played that poorly).

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I think it's pretty safe to say acola is an undisputed top 2 with his extreme consistency and wins. As far as Steves go, he's definitely better at the anvil and cart usage than anyone else, which is saying a lot considering those 2 moves might be the best in his kit.

NairWizard

Somewhere
I think it's pretty safe to say acola is an undisputed top 2 with his extreme consistency and wins. As far as Steves go, he's definitely better at the anvil and cart usage than anyone else, which is saying a lot considering those 2 moves might be the best in his kit.
in terms of ranking right now he has to be #1 even if we know Leo is possibly better. Leo’s results since pound have been good but acolas are more consistent

they are extremely similar players though. They condition you over a 5 game set for their hardest hitting moves, they’re spacing wizards, and they rely on strategic macro resets to carry through unfamiliar matchups. They prefer reactionary ledgeplay in games 1 and 2, but dip into reads games 3 and beyond.

People compare sparg0 to Leo a lot, but sparg0’s play style is very different. Acola is like a carbon copy, and man does that playstyle work!

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
in terms of ranking right now he has to be #1 even if we know Leo is possibly better. Leo’s results since pound have been good but acolas are more consistent
After Ludwig MkLeo is clearly #1. Perhaps things will change in the future but for now it's still MkLeo #1, acola #2. If acola outplaces MkLeo at the Panda Cup Finale it might be a different story, though. If acola wins Port Priority 7 that would help his case too, although no MkLeo at that event, sadly.

This is assuming PGR, which is panel based. acola might very well be #1 for an algorithm based ranking, I guess.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

they are extremely similar players though. They condition you over a 5 game set for their hardest hitting moves, they’re spacing wizards, and they rely on strategic macro resets to carry through unfamiliar matchups. They prefer reactionary ledgeplay in games 1 and 2, but dip into reads games 3 and beyond.

People compare sparg0 to Leo a lot, but sparg0’s play style is very different. Acola is like a carbon copy, and man does that playstyle work!
I cannot agree there, last time they fought Leo washed acola almost as hard as acola washed Onin here.

NairWizard

Somewhere
After Ludwig MkLeo is clearly #1. Perhaps things will change in the future but for now it's still MkLeo #1, acola #2. If acola outplaces MkLeo at the Panda Cup Finale it might be a different story, though. If acola wins Port Priority 7 that would help his case too, although no MkLeo at that event, sadly.

This is assuming PGR, which is panel based. acola might very well be #1 for an algorithm based ranking, I guess.
I cannot agree there, last time they fought Leo washed acola almost as hard as acola washed Onin here.
algorithm ranking right now should have acola #1.

Leo has a 9th and a 5th and a bunch of 1sts + a 2nd
acola has a 4th and a 2nd and a bunch of 1sts, at even larger events on average (with the exception of Colossel)
Leo just hasn't been attending enough during this season to have #1 results, and has lower lows of the ones he does attend

Leo's only advantage over acola is the head to head and the one outplacing -- which does matter, but less than almost everything else.
My guess is that PGR has Leo #1 and OrionRank has acola #1 end of year, but I think acola only has to win one of the remaining big tourneys in the year (SWT or Panda Cup) to take that #1 on both

acola is incredible. It's a shame that a lot of this is lost on viewers because he plays Steve. If you can look beyond the Steve shenanigans, there's some truly inspired gameplay there.

superjm

Smash Apprentice

Maybe that is why the best Swordie users in the game MKLeo and Sparg0 seem to only sub them for specific Matchups that thier mains struggle with
I've been thinking this for a while now. MkLeo and Sparg0 (mostly) dropped them for some reason, Cosmos is very inconsistent, and Shuton is not a solo main. They're probably still top 5 or at least close to it, but probably not contender for #1.
Once again, I ask the question: If Pyra/Mythra aren't top 3, then who is?

I mean, if you're going to try and ignore the reams of data supporting her efficacy in all levels of play top to bottom you need to formulate an actual substantial argument. Until then I can only stand with my previous assertion that Pyra/Mythra are being held to an impossibly high standard for no good reason at all.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Can't wait for people to complain that the two top seeds of the tournament, and arguably the two best players in the venue, managed to meet in Grand Finals.
Exactly, the other Steve's are inconsistent. Steve isn't the problem, Acola and Onin are just very good. This isn't exactly like :4bayonetta: when they'd be like 4 or 5 Bayo's in top 8, it's just 2.

Last edited:

Aligo

Smash Ace
I don't think that people would have such a problem with Steve being so powerful if he was fun to watch. Right now there is the combination of near brawl MK viability combined with brawl olimar gameplay. It is a shame too, as a few tweaks to certain moves and mechanics could really make Steve shine for both the opponent and viewers, especially at lower levels of play, where the issue is more prevalent.

blackghost

Smash Champion
I don't think that people would have such a problem with Steve being so powerful if he was fun to watch. Right now there is the combination of near brawl MK viability combined with brawl olimar gameplay. It is a shame too, as a few tweaks to certain moves and mechanics could really make Steve shine for both the opponent and viewers, especially at lower levels of play, where the issue is more prevalent.
no people hate whatever is seen as good no matter what the game. how dare a top-tier win an event? unspeakable. and when used be a top 2 player.

comparing brawl mk rto steve is such a reach I might pull something. and steve isnt getting free damage like Olimar was nor is steve playing just to grab and kill you as olimar has in the past. i might get fack for it but i find steve at high level to be very much what i want smash to be creativity front and center and setups being dynamic rather than set-play. Im not sure what the smash community wants a top tier to be: they complain about Kazuya using combos and player execution to win yet also hate the open-ended play of various steves whose play and player expression barely compare to each other.

ive said ti before the smash community is lazy when it comes to learning mus. weve seen leo dismatle steve before and ita been years but players are finally starting to actually STUDY steve to learn how to fight him. but the vast majority still dont even have a plan for block or minekart.

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
Can't wait for people to complain that the two top seeds of the tournament, and arguably the two best players in the venue, managed to meet in Grand Finals.
People are malding cause the grand finals turned into Minecraft Hunger games.

For real though, I don't really see the problem with having a ditto here in grand, isn't it common in other fgc to have a ditto grands? Why is it an issue here?

As for steve dittos, I think they are one of the more interesting in the entire game due to the complexity of the character.

That being said watching Onin get destroyed was soul-crushing.

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
I don't think that people would have such a problem with Steve being so powerful if he was fun to watch. Right now there is the combination of near brawl MK viability
He's not even close to being as busted as Brawl Meta Knight lmao. You need to look at older results from Brawl tournaments, there was like 20+ Meta Knight's in top 64 almost all the time, and like 6-8 of them in top 8. Steve isn't really anymore overcentralizing then :ultrob:.

The only thing in Smash that is near Brawl MK viability is pre-patch :4bayonetta: and :4cloud: in the Doubles metagame.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
So I'm assuming I'm in the minority that I found gf Steve ditto between the 2 best steves both mesmerizing and insanely intense and yet also really entertaining?

Edit

I've never actually played Minecraft but there IS combat in it, yes? So just to ask is like the fight between two Steves anything like a Minecraft ... battle or whatever?

Edit 2

Or f... 8 Steve's......

Edit 3

Acola clearly adapts his gameplay to exploit Onin's inexperienced holes. Onin fell for the same combo 3 times and it cost a stock and a game every time. Once you know your opponent isn't able to stop that, you just set that up over and over and never lose. Mkleo does this. He finds your knowledge weakness in the first round and then shows you why you know less about the game than him..
Hot take they're actually tied for number 1 right now in terms of "best player."

Last edited:

Aligo

Smash Ace
no people hate whatever is seen as good no matter what the game. how dare a top-tier win an event? unspeakable. and when used be a top 2 player.

comparing brawl mk rto steve is such a reach I might pull something. and steve isnt getting free damage like Olimar was nor is steve playing just to grab and kill you as olimar has in the past. i might get fack for it but i find steve at high level to be very much what i want smash to be creativity front and center and setups being dynamic rather than set-play. Im not sure what the smash community wants a top tier to be: they complain about Kazuya using combos and player execution to win yet also hate the open-ended play of various steves whose play and player expression barely compare to each other.

ive said ti before the smash community is lazy when it comes to learning mus. weve seen leo dismatle steve before and ita been years but players are finally starting to actually STUDY steve to learn how to fight him. but the vast majority still dont even have a plan for block or minekart.
It doesn't really change the fact that Steve is overturned, and generally unpleasant to fight against for anyone who isn't a top level player, where the Minecrafter not causing any problems ( complaints here are generally overblown). The lower levels of play are also important to consider when thinking about the balance of the game. If there is a loss of interest at the lower levels, it will affect everything above it in time too, and it does appear that Steve has a negative impact on viewership, among other things. Prevention tends to be better than cure. Obviously kneejerk bans are not the correct approach, but the matter will have to be addressed sooner or later for the sake of the long term health of the game.

Though I will admit that keeping to the style of the home game may have kneecapped Steve in terms of being engaging to viewers. Having very fast, often ambiguous animations that do far more impact than the move implies, combined with a dependance on mining, during which no interaction occurs, probably impacts the 'feel' of the character.

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
My guess is that PGR has Leo #1 and OrionRank has acola #1 end of year, but I think acola only has to win one of the remaining big tourneys in the year (SWT or Panda Cup) to take that #1 on both
That's what I think as well. Of course, if acola wins SWT and then goes 9 on Panda Cup while MkLeo gets second at SWT and wins Panda Cup then MkLeo would be #1 on PGR.

acola is incredible. It's a shame that a lot of this is lost on viewers because he plays Steve. If you can look beyond the Steve shenanigans, there's some truly inspired gameplay there.
For sure. It's also interesting to notice the differences in how different Steve mains play the character.

Once again, I ask the question: If Pyra/Mythra aren't top 3, then who is?
I don't think the top 5 is clear right now, but the following characters could have a decent shot at top 3, depending on who you ask: Steve, Kazuya, ROB, Sonic, Joker. Some would say Pikachu but I don't agree with that. Both Steve and ROB have better results on OrionStats, and while ROB may not win many majors, you'll often see players such as Zomba and Anathema do well at big tournaments. Zackray's ROB was a menance too back when he actively played him. Steve in top 3 shouldn't be too controversial at this point in time.

Kazuya in top 3/5 is probably more controversial, although there are a few top players (such as DDee and Marss, and) who put him in top 3-5 in their tier lists (Mr. E put him #2), and Riddles made a really optimistic MU chart and his results as solo Kazuya have been great lately. It's unclear whether this will last or not but Kazuya does seem to have great strengths and his weaknesses aren't being exploited enough right now to keep him out of top tier. Things may change in the future, though.

As for Sonic, at this point it's somewhat hypothetical. Sonic seems to generally do better at top level than mid level, and one of his best players (Wrath) isn't actively playing right now. Tweek put him #3 in his May tier list (though that was before the rise of Steve), DDee put him #1 recently, ShinyMark #5, Marss #4 (and Roy #3, so that's another character in contention for top 3 I suppose, although I'm very skeptical of Roy in top 3), Glutonny #3, Fatality #2. So quite a few top players seem to think very highly of Sonic, at least, and theoretically speaking Sonic can get a lead and run away with it. Sonic's results aren't bad either with Sonix and KEN doing well with the character.

As for Joker, I personally don't think he's top 3, but MkLeo's old Joker results do say quite a bit, and even without MkLeo Joker is #9 on OrionStats. If MkLeo picked up Joker again and started dominating even harder than he is now then that would be an indication that Joker is top 3 (though not guaranteed since MkLeo is amazing). Even without MkLeo, Arsene is kind of busted. Joker is definitely harder to play though than Aegis and is worse online, so at mid level of play Aegis is likely better. At top level I don't think it's too implausible that Joker is better.

So, if at least three of the following are better than Aegis at a top level, then Aegis are not top 3: Steve, Kazuya, ROB, Sonic, Joker. There might be other characters as well that could be better than Aegis (like Roy), though that's less likely. Oh hey, and some might argue that Pikachu is top 3, I suppose. I don't believe he is, though, not for a tournament tier list anyways.

I mean, if you're going to try and ignore the reams of data supporting her efficacy in all levels of play top to bottom you need to formulate an actual substantial argument.
Tier lists are not made for all level of play, they are made for the top level. Some characters probably do better at top level of play than mid level of play. Some top players who did not put Aegis in top 3: Mr. E, Rivers, Glutonny (though I suspect his top 10 might not be ordered, unless he thinks Dark Samus is #1, which I guess isn't too implausible given that he lives close-ish to Sisqui), Fatality. ESAM recently mentioned in a stream that he now thinks Aegis are top 5 at best. Now, these are outliers, and most top players seem to put Aegis in top 3, but they're not always put in top 3, and MkLeo/Sparg0 mostly dropping the character and Cosmos having mixed results doesn't help her case. Shuton is very consistent though, although he also uses Olimar.

I don't really get why some people say Steve isn't fun to watch. Sure, he mines a bunch, but aside from that Steve does a lot of interesting stuff, such as footstool Anvil kills, interesting block placements, and so on. And he's not close to Brawl Meta Knight, I don't even think he's particularly close to Smash 4 Bayonetta anymore. I do think he's #1 still, but he might have a few losing matchups (maybe) and a whole bunch of Even matchups. Smash 4 Bayonetta had maybe a handfull of Even matchups and likely no losing matchups, Brawl Meta Knight didn't even have any Even matchups, he won every matchup in the game (aside from the ditto, obviously). Steve is likely #1 in the game (though theoretically Kazuya/Sonic could also be, although result-wise Steve is #1 right now), but he's not nearly as dominant as Brawl Meta Knight or Smash 4 Bayonetta. Quite a few people don't even consider Steve top 3!

As for steve dittos, I think they are one of the more interesting in the entire game due to the complexity of the character.

That being said watching Onin get destroyed was soul-crushing.
I agree, Steve dittos are very funny. They didn't even mine that much! And yeah, it was a bit unfortunate for Onin that he got destroyed so hard, but Onin was playing really well in the tournament overall and a 2nd place at a supermajor is still really, really good. Losing to the #2 player in the world (some would argue #1) is also not a bad loss at all.

It doesn't really change the fact that Steve is overturned, and generally unpleasant to fight against for anyone who isn't a top level player, where the Minecrafter not causing any problems ( complaints here are generally overblown). The lower levels of play are also important to consider when thinking about the balance of the game. If there is a loss of interest at the lower levels, it will affect everything above it in time too, and it does appear that Steve has a negative impact on viewership, among other things. Prevention tends to be better than cure. Obviously kneejerk bans are not the correct approach, but the matter will have to be addressed sooner or later for the sake of the long term health of the game.
I agree that Steve is overtuned, although he's not the only character that is. I also agree that many people find him unpleasant to fight, but that's also true for characters like Kazuya, Luigi, Olimar, Snake, and Sonic. Steve is interesting in that some people actually quite enjoy fighting Steve, I've seen people say he's one of the most fun to fight against, while others hate it.

As for viewership, they had around 24k viewers at the end of the losers finals set, and around 24k during the Grand Finals. Granted, a Steve was part of the losers finals as well, but it doesn't seem like people left en masse? I think the issue largely stems from a vocal minority that makes people think Steve is boring to watch, and since humans are susceptible to peer pressure they may echo that sentiment. I used to think so too, but after I realized that Steve was likely going to be a staple in the meta I decided to embrace it, learn him myself and learn what he can do. After understanding how Steve works better I find him more enjoyable to watch (and really fun to play, which is kind of ironic since I wasn't a fan of Steve being added to Ultimate, hah). Perhaps content creators should make like, basic guides on how Steve works and some of his common tech, so people would enjoy watching him more?

I think the solution is to try to be more positive about Steve (and other characters): I don't think we can realistically change the ruleset to hurt Steve (well, getting rid of Kalos might help somewhat, which should probably be done anyways, see Dabuz's video on it). I also don't think a ban is likely or particularly justified right now (it's mostly the same six Steves getting results right now, and it's mostly two getting top 8 results at majors). Some people's negativity towards Steve (and Kazuya, and Sonic, etc) probably hurt the scene more than the characters do. But at the end of the day I don't think there's too much we can do: If some people truly hate watching these characters or playing against these characters, then they might be in a rough situation since I doubt much is going to be done against them (aside from maybe changing the stagelist). Oh, and North America should change to character before stage like most of Europe did, that way you don't have to ban Final Destination against people with a secondary Kazuya, and you would be able to pick Final Destination versus such people as well.

Aligo

Smash Ace
It isn't top levels that I am worried about, it's everything below that. Big majors can afford such losses in viewers and such, but smaller scenes? Not as much. They said they would do bugfixes and it is clear some characters are not working as intended, both in the positive and negative direction so hopefully another patch can happen ( I mean they updated mario kart 8 deluxe like two years after release and that was way before the booster pass).

Also I would agree that Aegis is not top 3 as she lacks a strong projectile that the best of the best have in this game. Still good overall though.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
It isn't top levels that I am worried about, it's everything below that. Big majors can afford such losses in viewers and such, but smaller scenes? Not as much. They said they would do bugfixes and it is clear some characters are not working as intended, both in the positive and negative direction so hopefully another patch can happen ( I mean they updated mario kart 8 deluxe like two years after release and that was way before the booster pass).
Fair enough, I agree that smaller scenes might suffer since if a few people quit in a smaller scene that's going to hurt, meanwhile I don't think too many top players will quit because of Steve and Kazuya. Dallas in Texas has three ROBs, two Kazuyas, and one Steve in their top 10 PR. And yeah, some people stop attending tournaments because of this. I don't think banning them is a good solution (at least not right now), and it would probably be better to focus on counter-play and trying to enjoy the matchups... But at the end of the day, the meta is what it is. It's unlikely that we'll get another patch at this point, and even if we did it might not be enough to keep them from scaring people away.

Aligo

Smash Ace
In all honesty I don't think kazuya is a big issue at all. Sure his gameplay can be a bit predictable while also needing a single interaction to kill but his frame data and hitboxes mean there has to be some thought put into when and when not to engage. Kazuya also has very rough matchups against other high and top tiers, including common ones. I would put him in top 20 but not top 10.

Not too sure what to think of Rob really.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
I mean Kazuya Also has certain specific MU's that can seem almost insurmountable. Such as :ultminmin :ultmegaman: with :ultyounglink::ultpacman:also being suspect. It's hard to say Kaz is #1 when he gets countered hard by certain characters

It's also hard to really get a good split read on the Aegis tournament results of late.

When you you at the most top level Ageis mains.

Shuton basically Co-mains them with Olimar

Leo and Sparg0 only seem to bring them out on Matchups where their preferred characters of choice struggle in

Cosmos is the only one who solos Aegis but his results are wildly inconsistent.

It's a fact that many players have picked on on how to exploit them offstage. Yes they have several very strong and even overturned tools at thier disposal. But unlike say Smash 4 :4cloud2:their Poor recoveries are a legit flaw thier players always have to take into account. I guess many pro players also may not like playing characters where one error or solid hit offstage at any % = a lost stock for extended tournament play.

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
In all honesty I don't think kazuya is a big issue at all. Sure his gameplay can be a bit predictable while also needing a single interaction to kill but his frame data and hitboxes mean there has to be some thought put into when and when not to engage. Kazuya also has very rough matchups against other high and top tiers, including common ones. I would put him in top 20 but not top 10.
Kazuya is such an interesting case. On paper, it seems like his poor mobility would keep him from being a top tier. In practice, Riddles and other Kazuya players have shown that Kazuya's strengths more than make up for his somewhat poor mobility. Also, he's only 5 units lighter than Ganondorf, but with a significantly better recovery. He's also only 3 units lighter than Charizard and Incineroar, and 5 units heavier than Samus, Terry, and Bowser Jr.

Design wise, I imagine many people would rather face a good Steve than a good Kazuya. Kazuya will rob you of your stocks if you're not careful. Steve has a bunch of high % combos too, but not nearly as bad as Kazuya. I do think Steve is better, but both characters are far from optimized and both have a ton of depth.

I mean Kazuya Also has certain specific MU's that can seem almost insurmountable. Such as :ultminmin :ultmegaman: with :ultyounglink::ultpacman:also being suspect. It's hard to say Kaz is #1 when he gets countered hard by certain characters
I feel like there's a tendency to overestimate how bad certain matchups are for top tiers. Steve and Sephiroth is a notable example, one that many Steve mains used to say was -2 for Steve, I now think it's an even MU. Anyways, for those particular matchups, Riddles thinks that Kazuya slightly wins versus Pac-Man, goes even with Mega Man and Young Link, and slightly loses to Min Min. Doesn't sound so bad, even top 5 characters can have some losing matchups.

But unlike say Smash 4 :4cloud2:their Poor recoveries are a legit flaw thier players always have to take into account
Smash 4 Cloud had a better recovery than Aegis for two main reasons: #1. Limit Break. #2. Recoveries in general were OP in Smash 4 so edgeguarding wasn't too viable. Cloud can also stall his recovery, unlike Aegis, and if Cloud gets hit without a jump he can still recover if he has Limit, Aegis would just die most of the time. Also, Smash 4 Cloud had greater strengths than Aegis (I never thought Aegis > Smash 4 Cloud overall). The way things are going I don't think it's very likely that Aegis will remain a very strong contender for #1, Aegis counter-play seems to develop faster than Aegis play. The character is still really strong though, I could see them being top 5, they could even be on the lower end of top 3 potentially.

Aligo

Smash Ace
What do people think of meteor cancelling, by the way?

Edit
To be fair I would say Aegis has the best recovery of the top swordies thanks to some mixup potential and prominence revolt having high vertical movement. Horizontal recovery is still bad due to photon edge being one of the worst side specials in the game. I think spargo switched because cloud is less strenuous over long play times for less difficult opponents, and Leo just plays who he wants really.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

Edit
To be fair I would say Aegis has the best recovery of the top swordies thanks to some mixup potential and prominence revolt having high vertical movement. Horizontal recovery is still bad due to photon edge being one of the worst side specials in the game. I think spargo switched because cloud is less strenuous over long play times for less difficult opponents, and Leo just plays who he wants really.
Steve's in particular or that it exists at all? I'm not really surprised Steve does not get meteored like the rest of the cast but I'm not familiar with any other characters having a meteor cancel?

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman

Edit
Meteor cancelling is a dumb mechanic that made alot if bad characters worst and top tiers better for no reason. Melee Falco and marth are prime examples of this.

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
Meteor cancelling is a dumb mechanic that made alot if bad characters worst and top tiers better for no reason. Melee Falco and marth are prime examples of this.
I'm assuming Aligo meant the new Steve tech. From what I've heard it's fairly niche and somewhat risky to attempt, but we'll see, I guess.

Roy has better air speed but overall his recovery is probably worse. Shulk's is better given that he has jump Monado Art. Lucina's is better (if you consider her top tier). Sephiroth's is better (though he's high tier). Cloud's is better as well when you factor in stalling options and Limit Break. And if we include some high tiers, then Byleth and Corrin both have better recoveries. Corrin's is a bit arguable but I think that it's better when you factor in the invincibility on her up-B, her ability to use her bair to mix up how she recovers and boost her recovery, her ability to angle her up-B, and her ability to stall with Dragon Fang Shot and also use it to cover her recovery. She can also pin the stage on walled stages.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Acola vs Leo is interesting mostly because Leo clearly spent time breaking down the Steve MU after getting 3-0’d by Onin.

He also seemed specifically ready for Acola’s counter-traps.

Acola had a bit of an opportunity cost in prepping for Leo. Prior to Ludwig’s there was the possibility of running into his practiced Joker, Byleth, or Aegis.

You could reasonably assume he won’t run Aegis, so you don’t have to prep too much for that. Leo’s Joker is on another level, and leading into the final day, he had shown the willingness to use it when he dismantled Dabuz.

What is going to be more likely vs Steve? Would he grind out the MU with the character he lost 3-0 with? Or would he bring out his bananas Joker?

Obviously, this is speculation, but I don’t think the gap between Leo and Acola is reflected by the set count at Ludwig’s.

Just as he struggled with Yoshidora, Acola was eventually able to adapt offline and clutch key wins. Adaptation is always the name of the game, and Acola adapts faster than almost every top player.

Well, players not named Leo.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I'm not sure on Kazuya being top 3. Also, do take Riddles' matchup chart with a grain of salt. When you're the best with a fighter, it may be hard to separate your own skill from the matchup.

Rizen

Smash Legend
IMO :ultkazuya:vs:ultyounglink: is +1 YL's favor. Like several MUs YL can zone them but Kazuya hits much harder. YL just has to screw up a tiny bit to lose a stock. I don't think YL beats anyone by more than +1.5. YL's MUs basically go like this: YL wins neutral sure but he dies at 80% and kills at 130% plus YL's disadvantage is pretty average but not great so on paper it looks good for YL but in practice he has to win exchanges much more than the opponent, which doesn't always happen.

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
Pikachu at #42 and Pichu at #43 is oddly fitting. Imagine if Pichu ends up overtaking Pikachu... ESAM recently made a video where he made a top 10 tournament character tier list, as in the best 10 characters. Generally, ESAM makes his tier lists based on what people should be doing, so this would include things such as advance tech, proper DI/SDI etc, but in actual tournaments, even at top level, people mess up. He mentions that Pikachu isn't a particularly tournament friendly character and not a top 10 character in tournaments. So his list, in no particular order, is: Steve, Sonic, Kazuya, Samus, ROB, Roy, Joker, Pac-Man, Snake, Aegis.
More and more people are realizing that :ultpikachu: is not as good as they thought he was. I know that results aren't the end all be all for characters, but when you are claiming to be the best character in the game, you better at least some proof you deserve that title. Especially when alot of other top and high tiers have better results than pika. I don't think he's top 10 anymore.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
More and more people are realizing that :ultpikachu: is not as good as they thought he was. I know that results aren't the end all be all for characters, but when you are claiming to be the best character in the game, you better at least some proof you deserve that title. Especially when alot of other top and high tiers have better results than pika. I don't think he's top 10 anymore.

Yeah it's like having very stubby range, being very light land lacking any real effective/consistent kill setups or attacks outside of edgeguarding are legit weaknesses.

But yeah the last one is abig thing that holds pika Back. That is why you see ESAM constant lost to characters like :ultzss:and :ultrob:which on paper Pika would seen to win. However yeah Pikachu can do combos loops and panacke All he wants in Matchups, but if they can't wait get the kill vs such characters than can kill Pika much easier, than the Matchup can easily shift

Last edited:

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
Oh boy, I can't wait until it's rob and sonic city for this tourney.

Seriously, why did they ban byleth, terry, seph, banjo, and sora?

Last edited:
Top Bottom